PDA

View Full Version : So

Outrider
Dec 13, 2010, 03:59 PM
I bought Minecraft.

I carved out a nice spacious home inside of a cave.

I began work on a castle (though it's basically just a tower right now.

Oh, and I'm trying to level a mountain because it ruins my view.

This game is great.

Sayara
Dec 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
Talk to Spike, he can probably get you into a fun community maybe

AlexCraig
Dec 13, 2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, and I'm trying to level a mountain because it ruins my view.

It abstructs your view of Venus?

Randomness
Dec 13, 2010, 05:34 PM

Abstracts? We're not writing an article here!

Mixfortune
Dec 13, 2010, 05:48 PM

That's quite an obstract way to think of things, because I have to hop on your back as well.
Also, sounds like tonight might be a mining night.
We'll have to break you in, Outrider, bones and all.

SpikeOtacon
Dec 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Been a bit since we booted the server up. After the survival update hit we changed our lifestyle from being very spread out and working on our own projects to civilization building together. However due to monsters deciding to spawn wherever and cause destruction even when no one was on, we only turned the server on when there would be a group of people to watch each other. I hear things have gotten much better with the spawning, so we may end up turning it back on 24/7 soon.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
Bow and Arrows are a must. Since the "you do get hurt now" update, I have died in almost every way imaginable. And several other ways.

A glorious example:

Lava bucket held, right clicked a smelter oven to try to use that. Whoops, lava pooled out from the 1 block high oven, burned me alive.

A similar dual function, of the same button click|press:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/HAYABUSA-FMW-/niceplaceforhub.jpg

"niceplaceforhub.jpg"
[/spoiler-box]

Games need more Street Fightey option selects, where they should select the best option for such a situation where two things can happen at the same time. Or I dunno, I could be more awake, instead of endless Nightmine[s]mare for the Fuel and pay attention that I'm not actively holding a lava bucket.

Outrider
Dec 14, 2010, 01:00 AM
Been a bit since we booted the server up. After the survival update hit we changed our lifestyle from being very spread out and working on our own projects to civilization building together. However due to monsters deciding to spawn wherever and cause destruction even when no one was on, we only turned the server on when there would be a group of people to watch each other. I hear things have gotten much better with the spawning, so we may end up turning it back on 24/7 soon.

So, being a total newbie, can I ask what the survival update did?

Also, couldn't you in theory wall off your city and fill it with torches to make sure no monsters can attack at night?

SpikeOtacon
Dec 14, 2010, 01:11 AM
So, being a total newbie, can I ask what the survival update did?

Also, couldn't you in theory wall off your city and fill it with torches to make sure no monsters can attack at night?

Survival update made it so that online servers running the "Survival Multiplayer" mode actually had the survival element. Players take damage, enemies spawn, it's almost 1:1 with the single player experience. Before that update there was none of that, it was more of an "advanced" creative mode. Our server ran SMP the whole time, but after the update came out and monsters started becoming a problem we decided to turn it into a more concentrated group effort.

We did build a wall around parts of the city to prevent enemy spawns, but they still get in through the front sometimes and over some obstacles from the mountains we built our city between. They also used to spawn in almost perfectly lit areas for no reason at all, one night we lost the front half of our base to creepers that spawned and exploded inside. Ever since then we've kept the server off until a group would be on, to prevent that from happening as best we could.

Outrider
Dec 14, 2010, 01:51 AM
Ouch, that sounds pretty rough. I've been building my tower with just cobblestone and I realized that a creeper could very easily just take it out.

I try not to think about it too much, though. That's why I'm building the escape tunnel to my original cave home about a two minutes away.