PDA

View Full Version : Import?

Kimil Adrayne
Dec 14, 2010, 02:20 PM
I've played PSO ep's 1 through 4, PSU, PSU AotI, PSPo, PSPo2 and PSZ all on the english versions. Yes I've waited for upwards of 8 months for updates and release dates for half the content again and again.

With PSO2... If I have to deal with all that crap again, I think I might just play on JP servers this time around.

How difficult are the following for someone who speaks zero Japanese (from past PSU and PSO experience):

1) Getting a JP game and account.
2) Meeting, forming groups with English players on the servers or through here.
3) Playing the game while having no idea what anything says.

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 14, 2010, 02:41 PM
I speak some Japanese. Try this:

the answers are in spoiler black, below

watashi wa anata to comunication wo nihongo de suru tame ni nihongo wo benkyou shitandesu.

Kanji wo/ga kakemasu

Tabe ni ikimasu
=====
=====
I won't tell you where to learn Japanese, but Sega could make this easier on the both of us. Universal translation built into the game. Google has the technology, free. Sega could license it for NOTHING. now let's see what they do.

I learnt japanese for an excuse to start a conversation with you

I can write kanji

I will go to eat

Darki
Dec 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
I would say, play the story mode if there is, play the network mode till you know the menus without reading them (maybe a couple months?) and then import. I think I will do the same, seeing how SEGAC treats the non-JP community...

DuRaL
Dec 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
well, you'll probably be able to play it, just be aware that you won't be able to fully enjoy the game if you can't understand it, i.e. you'll never like it as much as you might like it if you wait for the US release

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
well, you'll probably be able to play it, just be aware that you won't be able to fully enjoy the game if you can't understand it, i.e. you'll never like it as much as you might like it if you wait for the US release

No insult intended, but i play the game for the one-on-one battles & partying. Anger management LOL. The story could be written in chickens--- gibberish with Sanskrit for shop signs and I would not care! Just give me a game Sega. and upgrades. and custom content. even if i have to purchase it like on 360. The Japanese do not riot in the street if English is in their games. I suggest Sega take a cue & design everything but the cut-scene text so it can be understood by anyone who speaks English.

All spell names in English.
All character names in English.
All shop signs in Englsh.
All map areas in English.
A Jpn/Engrish (emphasis on grish) tutorial mode.

This would not be difficult. Sega needs to get their stuff together for PSO2. Tired of waiting. Hire me, i'll fix it up for ya good trust me.

NoiseHERO
Dec 14, 2010, 04:32 PM
Game feels more mysterious in Japanese.

But I don't think it'll matter much since the servers will be global,
unless that was a lie...

Hopefully it'd also mean global release. >_>;

Pirrip
Dec 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
There are three written Japanese systems you need to know about.
Hiragana is used for Japanese words. Instead of letters for vowels or consonants, it uses whole syllables. (Instead of the letter M and the letter I for "mi" it has a single symbol that sounds like "mi")
Katakana is used for words that are not natively Japanese.
Kanji are pictorials(like Chinese uses) that represents words or ideas, there are thousands of them.

I recommend that you learn Katakana(It won't take you long to learn them), because PSO, PSU, PSP, and PSZ items-for the most part-are written in Katakana.
For example, the word Monomate is written in katakana: モノメイト
モ ノ メ イ ト
Mo-No-Me-I--To
The katakana is very easy to learn and write.

Hiragana is as simple to learn as katakana, but it won't be of use to you to learn if you don't start to learn some real Japanese words.

In short--if you learn some simple Katakana, you can play an imported Phantasy Star game sounding out what the items are, and learning what position the shop and menu options are by trial and error.
If you learn some real Japanese, you can begin to understand some of the dialogue as well as being able to conversate with other Japanese speaking players.

It is my experience that Japanese is amongst the easier languages to learn, having dabbled in three others--all in completely different language groups I won't mention. It's a simple island language.

It's worth your time to learn the Katakana.
Finding a community of importers is not difficult here on PSO-World. I plan to import PSO2 if I'm not already living in Japan when it's released.
Signing up for a JP server account for PSU is not difficult, but if you don't know enough Japanese or have trouble with google's translator or rikaichan, then have someone walk you through it.

Chaobo99
Dec 15, 2010, 01:11 AM
I played PSO:EpIII on the JP version. Boy was it exciting to get a brand spankin' new card and not know what it was!! It was like an archaelogical find and now I have to decipher the code!

lol but really, a game like pso in jp, shouldn't really prevent you from gaming enjoyment unless you care for the story. An even if you did, I'm pretty sure you can read translations and careful analyss somewhre on the web.

Darki
Dec 15, 2010, 01:22 AM
Like I said, play in the english server till you get a hook to the menus and basic items and stuff. that will also give som time to the community to build some sort of database that you can check for translations and data.

And as someone said, at least learn katakana, because all weapons and items will mostly bee written in that.

unicorn
Dec 15, 2010, 01:56 AM
If ST decides to split us up again then its pretty obviously its going to be fail on our end.

I think I might play the US/EU version first, just to know the controls and whatnot and then get the JP version if the game is good enough to warrant paying for it twice.

Jinketsu
Dec 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
I hope to god they have multi-region servers with an auto-translate function.

It's one of the reasons I love FFXI so much. The chance to play with anyone, anywhere. No matter what time of day it was, there was always someone online. :)

I'm too lazy and unmotivated to learn Japanese, so I'm content with waiting for the English version.

Padium
Dec 17, 2010, 09:35 AM
Just a note, sometimes the controls differ based on region. Look at PSP games for example. X is select in NA, and O is select in JP. Confused me a while at first, but I got used to it. I play a lot of Project Diva, what can I say XD

As for English names, just put it in カタカナ and you're good to go. You can learn the kana in about a week. I know some very basic 日本語 (Japanese), but I am working on it slowly. Personally, I'm better with reading the ひらがな, but that's not too much use for me, as I don't understand most of it.

Oh, and on the Google translation, their machine translation of Japanese is absolutely terrible... Try translating an English sentence into Japanese with it, and back to English, read it and lol.

Wayu
Dec 17, 2010, 10:25 AM
To answer the original question:

これは読むならあなたはいいよ。でも、ゲームの中でもっと難しいな漢字があるから、日本語を勉強することは 一番よいかも知らない。

If you can read that, then yes you should have no problem. If you can't, good luck.

-Wayu

Checkmate
Dec 20, 2010, 11:37 PM
I hope to god they have multi-region servers with an auto-translate function.

It's one of the reasons I love FFXI so much. The chance to play with anyone, anywhere. No matter what time of day it was, there was always someone online. :)

I'm too lazy and unmotivated to learn Japanese, so I'm content with waiting for the English version.

I totally agree. The ability to play with JP/EU/NA players; Xbox, PC and PlayStation players all on the same server was amazing. No segregation because of your region or platform.

The auto translation & auto complete function made it easy to not feel forced on who you can play with or having a neutral party member to translate anything. Kudos to SquareEnix for that bit of functionality. The community felt like a real community with none (or very little) of the "Speak English or GTFO" talk.

fighgunners
Dec 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
I've played PSO ep's 1 through 4, PSU, PSU AotI, PSPo, PSPo2 and PSZ all on the english versions. Yes I've waited for upwards of 8 months for updates and release dates for half the content again and again.

With PSO2... If I have to deal with all that crap again, I think I might just play on JP servers this time around.

How difficult are the following for someone who speaks zero Japanese (from past PSU and PSO experience):

1) Getting a JP game and account.
2) Meeting, forming groups with English players on the servers or through here.
3) Playing the game while having no idea what anything says.

Google Chrome Translator?

Kent
Dec 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
I totally agree. The ability to play with JP/EU/NA players; Xbox, PC and PlayStation players all on the same server was amazing. No segregation because of your region or platform.

The auto translation & auto complete function made it easy to not feel forced on who you can play with or having a neutral party member to translate anything. Kudos to SquareEnix for that bit of functionality. The community felt like a real community with none (or very little) of the "Speak English or GTFO" talk.
You know what would be lovely?

If the game supported an auto-translator similar to that of Final Fantasy XI (which I think was handled quite well, for what it was), but also had support for an option where a direct translation using some automated service (such as Google or Microsoft translators) to give a quickie translation of any speech entered by a player, into the system language of the recipient. You could still see the original message in all of its glory, but it would also allow you to see a simple translation effort made by this service - with game terms added to its dictionary, of course.

It may not be the most practical thing ever (because we know how shaky those translators can be), but it would be nice to be able to get the gist of what someone is saying, even if it's not covered by the game's auto-translator/word select function.