PDA

View Full Version : PSO 2 capable of being a E-sport?

LunarWolf
Jan 10, 2011, 08:23 PM
Even though its early but do you guys think that the PSO series is capable of becoming a E-sport like how Starcraft is in korea? What are your thoughts/opinions about it?

zombiemoshpit84
Jan 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
thats not very likely. the "battle" mode in all pso games isnt balanced or complex. for the most part battle seems tacked on. in order to become an E-sport the game needs a lot more strategy then spam strongest attack, heal, and repeat. what makes starcraft so entertaining to watch is that players can take huge risks and make up new strategy as they go and still come out on top. that and watching these guys bust out 5 commands a second is awe inspiring. the only games i can see becoming E-sports are RTS games and MAYBE left 4 dead "i know thats a pipe dream lol".

BIG OLAF
Jan 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
E-sport? Never heard that term, but it sounds hilarious.

NoiseHERO
Jan 11, 2011, 04:36 AM
I look down on the gaming is a srs bsnz sport mentality...don't make winning the only fun part. >______>

and yeah PS is not only extremely casual, but it's barely competitive... and mission races sound laaaaaaaaaaaame, nor would I think you'd find "PSO2 MISSION RACING AND BATTLEMODE TOURNAMENTS; SOME MIDDLE OF NOWHERE STATE IN THE U.S. 2012!!!!"

Akaimizu
Jan 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
No. And I don't believe any PvE-themed game could do so. Even the PvP-centric MMOs don't get into this category.

Heck, Guild Wars even manages the competitive International battles (in game), and that never became an e-sport, even though balancing that stuff was quite the priority with that game's updates.

Starcraft is a straight competitive RTS game, which happened to get super popular. That's pretty much the only way it became an e-sport. And in a genre that isn't exactly that crowded with loads of different developers making them. It's mainly just EA, Microsoft, and Blizzard. You don't see new RTS games releasing everyday like F2P MORPGs and MMORPGs do.

I mean, you go around, refresh a page, and *whoops* there's a new advertisement for one of them.

PSO2 is already entering this very crowded PC ORPG PvE market. It would have to not only get super popular on the scale of WoW. It would have to have the most addictive and catchy competitive gameplay ever.

Kion
Jan 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
yeah, Starcraft, Counter Strike, Fighting games. For a game to be an e-sport it needs to be a game which can be picked up by anyone and be (more-or-less) balanced. Online rpg's are all about hunting for new items to give you the edge, so no; i don't see any possibility of pso2 becoming an e-sport. BTW, what planet did you say you were from?

Manticore
Jan 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't think its possible simply because the player base is so small.
for a successful e-sport you need a game that a TON of people are gonna play, and pso just wont have those numbers.

Chaobo99
Jan 11, 2011, 11:47 PM
If PSO2 implements CARD as a big "side" part of the game, that can perhaps be an e-sport.

Only games I know of atm are Starcraft and MLG hosted shooters. Maybe if the pvp was very balanced(unlikely), perhaps then it can be an e-sport, because imo, watching a strategy-based live action combat rpg battle would be much more fun and entertaining to watch.. compared to watching the whole middle and start of an RTS battle.

I guess make certain weapons usable for pvp.. and make it so that using said weapon would boost you "x" way but give you "y" disadvantage as opposed to using.. nvm i'm not even going to think about this right now lol. Unfortunately, PSO's combat system is way to simple. Maybe if the fighting system had combos and tricks similar to that of a trur fighting game.. then yea...

Also, yea PSO's player base at this very moment is small. But say this did become a potential e-sport hosted by mlg, or [forgot the jp hosted tounryes], you'll get a spike increase in player base.

venn2010
Jan 12, 2011, 12:19 AM
I look down on the gaming is a srs bsnz sport mentality...don't make winning the only fun part. >______>

Actually, if $$$ is involved, anything can be a srs bsnz. There are actually people who make living by playing Starcraft in Korea....

As for PSO2: no and no.

One of many reasons why it can't is due to randomness. That's right. And it's too common in most RPG's to be taken seriously for e-sport.

Games like Starcraft (and many fighting games) have become e-sport because they lack this. A simple example: a single Zergling ALWAYS has a same amount of HP and ALWAYS deals same amount of damage per attack. They ALWAYS cost same amount of resources to produce. Every time. No variance.

Now let's look at PSO: cast a foie. What do you get? You deal damage... varying from x to y. Oh noez!

Or how about this: an enemy attacks you! Your EVP kicks in! Will it block or phail??

Normally this is fine. After all, RPG's derived from pen-and-paper games where they rolled the dice to determine the outcome of every action. But from e-sport pro-gamer's perspective this is bad. Very bad. It removes all skill related battles. If player A has absolutely superior skills than player B, then player A should win all the time. Only time player B could beat player A should be by (1)getting better, or (2) beating player A in mind games or by pulling off a tricky tactic that catches player A by surprise...

...and certainly not because God of RNG was on his side.

Niered
Jan 12, 2011, 01:22 PM
No. No "E-Sports" are a fucking waste of everyones time, the last thing that this game will (or should) be is appeal to some elitist circle jerk off who can vibrate their keyboard at a speed capable of distending the universe.

Zeroske
Jan 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
It could, if it had some form of.... pvp (not the old crappy one or anything)
Or maybe if they have some of the card system in to make it more e-sportable!

But really, no.