PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Componen Wires on the Bigscreen.

Infernonyc
Jan 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
Question, I was wondering if anyone can give me some input on playing PSPo2 on the TV using component cables. Is it easier to play, do things still feel cramped? I have been noticing lately that ppl are putting up videos of PSPo2 with just such HQ that they must be playing on an HDtv.

Thanks for the help,
-Inferno

Kayest
Jan 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
It isn't necessarily easier to play, but it is nice to have a larger screen. It takes a little getting used to, but it is really nice.

Mugaaz2
Jan 18, 2011, 05:29 PM
It won't be fullscreen unless you use CFW or have 3rd party hardware. If you have a PSPGO you can play with your PS3 controller via bluetooth.

I play on the big screen via ps3 controller. It's awesome. I honestly wouldnt even play my psp without this capability.

Fox2Tails
Jan 18, 2011, 05:36 PM
I honestly wouldnt even play my psp without this capability.

That's a lame reason to not play a PSP imo

Fayorei
Jan 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
It won't be fullscreen unless you use CFW or have 3rd party hardware. If you have a PSPGO you can play with your PS3 controller via bluetooth.

I play on the big screen via ps3 controller. It's awesome. I honestly wouldnt even play my psp without this capability.

You can also use zoom and stretch picture functions on certain HDTVs on OFW. Check it out on Youtube. Most cheaper HDTVs will not have this feature though. :)

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
whats the cord needed for this? Or do I do it through my ps3 or something

Fayorei
Jan 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
whats the cord needed for this? Or do I do it through my ps3 or something

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Component-AV-Cable-Sony/dp/B000VIPJ0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295394618&sr=8-1

Make sure your TV(most every HDTV has this input) can use those before you run out and get it.:) I think they make a standard red/yellow/white one too, but I'm pretty sure if you get that one you're doomed to the tiny letterbox format.

I own the product above and it works pretty well. I last used it on a tiny Vizio 22" though (no zoom feature sadly, no stretch to edge of screens settings either), but I thought it looked at least "okay" without modding the picture since obviously I was able to sit quite close to the screen since it was on my desk. :)

If you're talking using the PS3 controller, you do that via Bluetooth I believe with the PSP Go only.

xBladeM6x
Jan 18, 2011, 07:11 PM
As someone who has the cables, and uses them frequently, I can tell you that they're worth it. You will have a black boarder around the screen, however you can go into your TV's settings and just do an image Zoom and it should get rid of most of it.

Mugaaz2
Jan 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
There is also a converter from a UK company that ships internationally for $50~ish that will allow you to play in full screen.

And honestly I hate playing on handheld systems. My hands are too big, the screens are too small, it's uncomfortable for my neck, etc. Love the go because of being able to play on TV. Used to love the game boy player on the 64 as well for the same reason.

Omunall
Jan 18, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've used on on my HDTV, and it works well. As was said before, you can fit it to size on certain sets, but some games get a quality loss (like monster hunter, it's terrible) but PSP2 looks great.

At this point though i just play it through my laptop.

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
At this point though i just play it through my laptop.

and how do you do that? same cable?

Temprus
Jan 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
I think they make a standard red/yellow/white one too, but I'm pretty sure if you get that one you're doomed to the tiny letterbox format.

Actually, the red/yellow/white one won't let you play games on your TV. I know as I don't have an HDTV (SDTV FTL) and it will let you access your menus and probably play movies, but gaming is outta the question. You're gonna need a TV with a jack for that green plug.

Wayu
Jan 18, 2011, 10:57 PM
You can connect the PSP to larger screens? 0.o

-Wayu

kongajinken
Jan 19, 2011, 12:15 AM
Yea, it costs 20 dollar I wanna say. Picked mine up at a local Gamestop.

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 02:10 AM
Actually, the red/yellow/white one won't let you play games on your TV. I know as I don't have an HDTV (SDTV FTL) and it will let you access your menus and probably play movies, but gaming is outta the question. You're gonna need a TV with a jack for that green plug.

Ah yeah I had read something about that. Moot point for me though since we have nothing but HDTVs in my house. :) Thought I was sad the first one I tested it with (a 22" Vizio) didn't have zoom or screen stretch features. I think our Insignia 26" has it though, but I haven't been up to the apartment to check yet.:)

BTW, the cord is $9.99 on Amazon. I have Prime(free shipping) though, but it can't be more than $2-3 shipping without.

Crystal_Shard
Jan 19, 2011, 02:34 AM
You can connect the PSP to larger screens? 0.o

-Wayu

The official one only lets you use a tiny piece of the screen and doesn't scale to fill the screen though. Someone else mentioned a third party version that can do the job properly. ^_^

I have the official one, unfortunately.

Silver_Wyrm
Jan 19, 2011, 02:35 AM
Unfortunately I dont have CFW nor do I trust myself to mess around with my psp

TheToyDolls
Jan 19, 2011, 02:42 AM
I just recently decided to get Component cables for my PSP Go since the Go also has the ability to sync PS3 controllers to it. The way I have it set up now I do not see myself playing it on the PSP alone anytime soon. This setup is wicked and I found a whole new appreciation for playing this game. If you have the means, go for it, you will not regret it.

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 03:52 AM
To the question on the laptop; i run it through a capture card with the r/w/y cables.

And to the poster that said that you can't play games with the composite output...what? I literally JUST got done using it with my GO and had no issues on my HDTV. I was using the component before, but since i got the capture card (which only runs composite) i sort of lost the component cable. Either way since i got the composite cable i've ran it many times. Are you sure you have the right cable?

You can absolutely run the composite cable output to the TV.

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 06:20 AM
To the question on the laptop; i run it through a capture card with the r/w/y cables.

And to the poster that said that you can't play games with the composite output...what? I literally JUST got done using it with my GO and had no issues on my HDTV. I was using the component before, but since i got the capture card (which only runs composite) i sort of lost the component cable. Either way since i got the composite cable i've ran it many times. Are you sure you have the right cable?

From curiosity, would this:

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Composite-AV-Cable-Sony/dp/B000VIUNZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295436050&sr=1-1

Work with a capture card+laptop setup? I mean, one of the reviews mentions the inability to play games so it makes me a bit antsy since I've heard that elsewhere, too. Or does it only gain game-playing capability with the 3000?

Mugaaz2
Jan 19, 2011, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately I dont have CFW nor do I trust myself to mess around with my psp

How are you "messing around" ?

TheAstarion
Jan 19, 2011, 10:22 AM
I got my PSP2000 from the Far East, and it came with a bunch of extras, most notably one of those 5-pin cables that works for games. When we started selling them in the shop I worked in at the time, I crowed to everyone about them, but they were only for XMB and videos, so they all came back.

Moral of the story: Make sure the cable will play games, even the 5-pin ones aren't necessarily guaranteed to do it.

On another note, the bigger the screen, the more blocky and pixellated everything looks. Even FMVs aren't immune. If you've ever tried playing an N64 on an HDTV, you'll know what I mean.

Infernonyc
Jan 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
I just recently decided to get Component cables for my PSP Go since the Go also has the ability to sync PS3 controllers to it. The way I have it set up now I do not see myself playing it on the PSP alone anytime soon. This setup is wicked and I found a whole new appreciation for playing this game. If you have the means, go for it, you will not regret it.

Unfortunately you do need a PS3 :_(

Temprus
Jan 19, 2011, 04:10 PM

PSP AV Cable (aka the Yellow/White/Red only cables) will not allow you to play games on your TV. If you call this a composite cable then, that's right. Unless the GO has some unique-ness to it, but mine for the 2000 series PSPs only allows you to see photos, videos and music on your TV.

Trust me dude, I still own the AV cables to this very day. I'd need a cable with the green plug and a TV that accepts it if I'm to play on my TV.

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
PSP AV Cable (aka the Yellow/White/Red only cables) will not allow you to play games on your TV. If you call this a composite cable then, that's right. Unless the GO has some unique-ness to it, but mine for the 2000 series PSPs only allows you to see photos, videos and music on your TV.

Trust me dude, I still own the AV cables to this very day. I'd need a cable with the green plug and a TV that accepts it if I'm to play on my TV.

From what I've been reading, the 3000 lets you use a standard composite cable to play games. I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I did just order a video capture device and the standard slim composite cable, so I'll test my 3000 when all that comes in. I own a component already, but want to try using my laptop as a screen for on-the-go stuff (not just the PSP but my other consoles as well.:D)

Akaimizu
Jan 19, 2011, 04:28 PM
The 2000 model is the specific PSP model that doesn't allow you to play games on non-component cables. The PSPs released afterwards, allow both types of connections to play games.

The PSP Go, with a PS3 around to set them up, can officially play using the PS3 controller. In general, the main thing that makes it easier to play on the big screen is the ability to use an external controller, though it would suck to use the controller without using the big screen. On the big screen, it's kind of like playing a PS2 version of an updated PSU engine. The difference is a much more consistant framerate than either the PS2 or the 360 did with PSU, but maybe half the "max FPS" of the 360 version.

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 06:10 PM

Got ya, you're running a 2k. I know my 3k and go run on both cables, just trying to clarify since i know both of them can run a composite and component cable for games.

That's a bit odd that the OFW for the 2k only allows video output for the menu though; sounds like a bummer :(

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
From curiosity, would this:

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Composite-AV-Cable-Sony/dp/B000VIUNZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295436050&sr=1-1

Work with a capture card+laptop setup? I mean, one of the reviews mentions the inability to play games so it makes me a bit antsy since I've heard that elsewhere, too. Or does it only gain game-playing capability with the 3000?

Well from what i'm reading if you have a 2k then composite won't work. I know my 3k and my GO both support the component and composite set up for video output though.

Anyway, i run the composite (red white yellow) through the capture card, but the capture card i'm using won't support component. I can run a component to it but the blue video lead has no support, so it's only black and white video lol. I actually have to use the composite cable to run through my capture card.

I picked up the one touch diamond capture card. Just plug the composite in, plug the cap card into your 2.0 usb, and set the video out on your psp like you would for your television (though i find interlace works a bit better for control input, no lag).

You can then play it on the screen, and also take screen shots/record video. It's nice, and works on OFW.

--EDIT

I saw you said you ordered a capture card. Which one did ya get?

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Well from what i'm reading if you have a 2k then composite won't work. I know my 3k and my GO both support the component and composite set up for video output though.

Anyway, i run the composite (red white yellow) through the capture card, but the capture card i'm using won't support component. I can run a component to it but the blue video lead has no support, so it's only black and white video lol. I actually have to use the composite cable to run through my capture card.

I picked up the one touch diamond capture card. Just plug the composite in, plug the cap card into your 2.0 usb, and set the video out on your psp like you would for your television (though i find interlace works a bit better for control input, no lag).

You can then play it on the screen, and also take screen shots/record video. It's nice, and works on OFW.

--EDIT

Yeah after a bit of poking around I saw the 2000 is the only model that got screwed in terms of just using a standard composite connection.:P But thanks!

And that looks exactly like the dongle I bought- I had to get a Mac-Compatible one though. Same price range. I wanted something to put my PSP on a bigger screen of sorts on the go, and also maybe capture some stuff from my other consoles. Sounds like a Godsend for hotel rooms since they lock down most TVs anymore.

This is it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LRMOPO/ref=oss_product

Gintoki-kun
Jan 19, 2011, 06:49 PM
I hate the current TV in my room,when I start playing the color goes into this yellow-green but now my pops helped me buy a Sony Bravia and the zoom in feature just helped out big time.
The componet cables are real cheap,get one at Best buy for 15$

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah after a bit of poking around I saw the 2000 is the only model that got screwed in terms of just using a standard composite connection.:P But thanks!

And that looks exactly like the dongle I bought- I had to get a Mac-Compatible one though. Same price range. I wanted something to put my PSP on a bigger screen of sorts on the go, and also maybe capture some stuff from my other consoles. Sounds like a Godsend for hotel rooms since they lock down most TVs anymore.

This is it:

Yeah that one should work for you. I originally bought mine to make videos from old vhs to digital, but i like it's other uses. I would be playing my GC on it for pso+ but when i went to pull it out i realized that the gamestop that sold it to me sold me the converter for older tv sets, the one that plugs into the cable out...so i have to order the av's for it lol. Either way it works really well, but i'm not familiar with what software comes with your capture card, so i couldn't tell you the quality of it (but it should be fine).

That sucks for the 2k though. I need to read up on why it does that since the video output seems to allow the menu, but i'm not understanding what changes when you boot up a game unless it's something with the firmware blocking it...bad move on sony imo.

Hope it works for ya! I love mine just for the novelty of playing on my laptop, as well as being able to make a video on the fly (if something happens, say old school pso, two Torr's drop in one room or something)

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks! I actually already went ahead and got all the files needed for the thing early since the reviews said the DVD doesn't work right for Macs. I'm not surprised, but it's all good. I think it's insanely cool you can just record that kind of stuff on the fly like you said. I had been debating getting one for about 3 months, but could never find the price sweet spot (All the other Mac options I saw prior to this were $100+ and it's my first capture device so I wanted to go a bit cheaper). :)

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 07:30 PM
Oh god don't talk about the prices haha. The one i wanted is around 250 bucks, records in HD, works seamlessly with any video file, and has zero input lag.

The one i have was about 30 bucks, and only really works properly with mpeg4 and avi. When i try WMV, DVD, etc i either get a framerate issue, quality loss, or even worse..input lag. It especially sucksfor Monster hunter when a dodge roll is life or death...and i dodged at the right time, yet my characters seems to want to wait around a bit lol.

But it's not a big deal. For 30 bucks, i get two different formats to record without issue, and you can always convert the file to a different type outside of the program.

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Oh god don't talk about the prices haha. The one i wanted is around 250 bucks, records in HD, works seamlessly with any video file, and has zero input lag.

The one i have was about 30 bucks, and only really works properly with mpeg4 and avi. When i try WMV, DVD, etc i either get a framerate issue, quality loss, or even worse..input lag. It especially sucksfor Monster hunter when a dodge roll is life or death...and i dodged at the right time, yet my characters seems to want to wait around a bit lol.

But it's not a big deal. For 30 bucks, i get two different formats to record without issue, and you can always convert the file to a different type outside of the program.

Haha that was my reasoning. I know mine won't be perfect either, but for around $30-35 you can't go wrong for that sort of thing.:) And then I still have the component cables for using the PSP on HDTV.:D

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
Also to make you feel much more enthusiastic about your purchase, it's able to record a DVD from your DVD player, record VHS to digital, and if you set it up properly you have a half asked television recorder, so you don't miss a show or something.

Temprus
Jan 19, 2011, 10:09 PM
So, if I had a 3000 series... I could actually play on my SDTV?

Awwww.... :-(

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah i still don't get why they did that with the 2k. they would have to actually block the ability...i mean it's already giving video output from the device, so it's not like anything really changes on what is going on. That's just stupid on Sony's part, but i guess they fixed it with the other models.

Maybe upgrade? A3k is pretty cheap now a days.

Infernonyc
Jan 19, 2011, 10:27 PM

--EDIT

Wow, thnx for the help, I'm def going to look into this. Your sure no CFW is required at all? Is it mac compatible? Doesn't seem too complicated and I'd love to share some screen shots/videos with you guys.

Fayorei
Jan 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
Wow, thnx for the help, I'm def going to look into this. Your sure no CFW is required at all? Is it mac compatible? Doesn't seem too complicated and I'd love to share some screen shots/videos with you guys.

This one is apparently mac compatible:

A review says they used it with a Macbook Pro. I'm waiting on mine to get here.:) So I can't say how it works til I get it.

Omunall
Jan 19, 2011, 11:42 PM

Well i run a Go which means no CFW. It works perfectly fine, but it's just an alternative to thingsl ike remote joy on CFW (whic is generally better) but the price for the capture cards are pretty good, and they work well. If you have money though, there are a few others that can do the job very well, crisp, etc. They tend to look better.

I'll have to make a video sometime to show it's quality. To be honest since i got it i've been using it as a means to play it on my laptop, but not videos lol. (I don't know what to record)

Fayorei
Jan 20, 2011, 12:27 AM
Well i run a Go which means no CFW. It works perfectly fine, but it's just an alternative to thingsl ike remote joy on CFW (whic is generally better) but the price for the capture cards are pretty good, and they work well. If you have money though, there are a few others that can do the job very well, crisp, etc. They tend to look better.

I'll have to make a video sometime to show it's quality. To be honest since i got it i've been using it as a means to play it on my laptop, but not videos lol. (I don't know what to record)

You should definitely record something haha. I plan to do SOMETHING of sorts... I just don't know what... I mean, so many freaking games.

Evegodenraven
Jan 20, 2011, 03:59 AM
dude o-o... lol i have probables using my TV, as to getting used to it(just because where i sit and how high my TV is set up on the wall is annoying and i'ma pull my TV down like 2 feet from where it is to make it nice) but from what i can tell you, it's really nice playing because everything is bigger (depends on your tv, mines is a 47inch tv) and i like it but i would love it once my TV goes down a bit but i'm really lazy with stuff like this -_-