PDA

View Full Version : ? Private Server?

MyNinja
Jan 19, 2011, 04:00 AM
i heard about it along time ago not sure what ever happened to it if any one can pm me with info that would be great thanks in advance.

pstargod
Jan 19, 2011, 04:15 AM
i heard about it along time ago not sure what ever happened to it if any one can pm me with info that would be great thanks in advance.

why go private server with hackers when jp is free?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuPy6hSOb4&

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jan 19, 2011, 05:41 AM
Ya the private server seems to rely on using the JP AOI download, so i'm guessing it'd include the updates JP PSU has. I think they're all still in test/beta stages but i'm not sure i've not looked into it in the last month or so. Who knows about hacking, maybe in the eartly stages that'd happen n all, but a free predominantly english speaking server will have much more appeal than the JP server in a few years after the xbox server is closed etc etc. With more time spent on the private PSU server's i'm sure they'll end up with a large dedicated community bit like the PSO servers have become.

Tifa

ZER0 DX
Jan 19, 2011, 05:43 AM
why go private server with hackers when jp is free?

Not everyone wants to deal with moon runes or the limitations of the free course.

That said, if you're looking for functionality, it'll be a while before the private server gets to a state where it's actually enjoyably playable. It's extremely limited with what you can do right now so JP may be the better option in the meantime.

Shirai
Jan 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
There aren't any really functional private servers yet.

HeartBreak301
Jan 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'd almost forgotten about this, yeah it'd be nice if a server were to be completed, since as Zero said, I don't care to learn moon runes and play a limited game.

Tyreek
Jan 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
Before you guys decide going further. Y'all need to keep in mind this thread, as it applies the same.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72843

pstargod
Jan 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
Before you guys decide going further. Y'all need to keep in mind this thread, as it applies the same.

this ^

Powder Keg
Jan 19, 2011, 06:57 PM

This. PSO-World doesn't support it and never has IIRC.

(Besides, it'll be a looonng time before we see this happen anyway)

ZER0 DX
Jan 19, 2011, 08:03 PM
I think we're all still within the guidelines, no one has explicitly stated the name of the server or how to get to it in this thread. The only thing we're on the borderline with is the "No encouraging using private servers" rule. Even then no one has outright "encouraged" or tried to force anyone to go to one. I think we've managed to discuss the OP's question to a certain extent without breaking any of the rules here and it should still be okay to do so as long as we aren't stepping over any boundaries.

HeartBreak301
Jan 19, 2011, 08:16 PM
I agree. On topic, wasn't there one server in testing? It's been a while since I'd heard anything about it.

FOkyasuta
Jan 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ive heard of it to. It could be up... But i doubt it.

oG Epik
Jan 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
Wait i seen in the 2nd post Jp is free? is that on PC?

FOkyasuta
Jan 19, 2011, 08:58 PM

Yep. It is.

SStrikerR
Jan 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
There are 2 private servers I believe..but nowhere near completion.

unicorn
Jan 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
the PSU private server will probably be finished by the time PSO2 comes out to be honest. Not really worth it.

I say play PSP2 instead.

SStrikerR
Jan 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
the PSU private server will probably be finished by the time PSO2 comes out to be honest. Not really worth it.
How would you have any idea how long it's going to take to be finished?
Regardless, how does that make it not worth it? If someone wants to play AOTI on PC without playing on the jp servers, then it's still worth it.

W0LB0T
Jan 20, 2011, 01:21 AM
There are 2 private servers I believe..but nowhere near completion.

Nope, only one. one of them gave up.

don't expect to actually play on the private server. Its just for bug testing.

unicorn
Jan 20, 2011, 01:44 AM
How would you have any idea how long it's going to take to be finished?
Regardless, how does that make it not worth it? If someone wants to play AOTI on PC without playing on the jp servers, then it's still worth it.

You're so right. I wouldn't have any idea.

We should just all stop speculating, because we don't have any idea.

I encourage him playing on private servers, because its definitely worth it, because AOTI is most certainly worth playing.

ZER0 DX
Jan 20, 2011, 01:51 AM

Yeah for the most part, you can play JP for free but you won't have access to your room and can't trade items or pick up items dropped by other people among other limitation. You can get access to all of that by paying the standard monthly fee but with the Guardians Cash shop system in place you kinda have to juggle between if it's worth paying for full content access or if you want to get something with GC instead.

I play free course on JP as it is and have no intentions on paying for it as long as 360 is still up and running. I'd rather play the game in English than not be able to understand it.

pikachief
Jan 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
I like to juggle between GC and paying for a month. If I really really need either to trade something or buy something i'll pay $10 for 1 month (did it once to get a nice cheap 10-11* gunner pallet to play GM) then i'll pay $10 for some GC to get some cool stuff out of that (i've also only done this once)

Its nice i like it. Not necessarily free the way i play it but cheaper even though i do get less features :P (but $20 is still not too bad for several months)

W0LB0T
Jan 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
the private server is not just going to be a carbon copy of the the original. There is going to be some big changes to balance, so its not just White beast all day, erry day. there is also possibility of user made missions and items, and a PSP2 style custom class system. but the most interesting proposed change is to the leveling, which will be capped at 200, but levels 100 to 200 will earn far less stats, and take longer to level up. So its essentially capped at 100 but above that is just for E-peen status.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Also, there won't be any hacking once it is done, so you don't have to worry about that.

str898mustang
Jan 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Also, there won't be any hacking once it is done, so you don't have to worry about that.

there will be hacking, they just dont allow it. it'll most likely be a "under the radar" kinda thing.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
No. The server is going to be coded in such a way that hacking will not be possible, at least not as it was done on the official server.

Or at least that is one of the goals of the project.

str898mustang
Jan 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
No. The server is going to be coded in such a way that hacking will not be possible, at least not as it was done on the official server.

Or at least that is one of the goals of the project.

no program is "unhackable" and the fact its going to be free to play will bring more hackers into the game. Claiming it "unhackable" is just baiting the hook for hackers. It just takes time.

If it does become unhackable, I'm all for it. I may play on the server being that the data I logged last year works on the server and I get all my chars, equips, and such back.

HeartBreak301
Jan 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
Doesn't matter if it's hackable or not. Thats why you get GMs that are actually dedicated to doing what they're expected to do.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
I may play on the server being that the data I logged last year works on the server and I get all my chars, equips, and such back.Not going to happen on the server we're talking about here, I'm afraid.

Everything is going to be rebalanced and changed rather drastically (in terms of stats, EXP curve, and the like), so it's been decided that the recorded data will not be used.

Of course, the server software will be open source, so you can set up your own and use the old data there if you so choose.

And regarding the issue of hacking, yes it is obviously impossible to make a program that is impossible to hack. However, what passed itself off as hacking on the official server was merely packet editing and taking advantage of gaping security holes in the server code. A goal of this project is to make a server without those holes, one that can disallow unexpected values received from the client.

Completely unhackable? Obviously not.
Unable to be hacked anywhere near as easily as official server was? Absolutely.

That is, assuming everything works out as planned.

str898mustang
Jan 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Not going to happen on the server we're talking about here, I'm afraid.

Everything is going to be rebalanced and changed rather drastically (in terms of stats, EXP curve, and the like), so it's been decided that the recorded data will not be used.

U lost me here

Well u can most likely count me out on playing on that server.

ZER0 DX
Jan 26, 2011, 01:44 PM
U lost me here

Well u can most likely count me out on playing on that server.

JP and 360 won't last forever. It'll be the only way to play PSU eventually.

str898mustang
Jan 26, 2011, 02:12 PM

PSO2 will be out

MillyB
Jan 26, 2011, 02:20 PM

:P JP PSU is going to be up for awhile if it takes the same trend as PSOBB did

ZER0 DX
Jan 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
PSO2 will be out

Indeed, but for people who want to stick around on PSU like people who are still sticking around on PSO, it's the only option for them.

I'll be moving on to PSO2 as well, but if I want to take a nostalgia trip it would be nice to be able to do so if I wanted to.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 26, 2011, 04:46 PM
U lost me here

Well u can most likely count me out on playing on that server.Using the old data would just end up a huge mess. Tons of things are going to be redone (everything from class/race balance to the way damage is calculated to stats of weapons to drop rates), so it would be like trying to import data into a completely different game.

Legendria
Jan 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
Why would you spend your time to make a server.....just to recreate the basics of it to make it much less fun and harder to progress?

Things need buffing, not overall nerfs to create false difficulty.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
I love how you're jumping to conclusions when I have not provided even a single specific detail.

Legendria
Jan 28, 2011, 03:27 PM
No disrespect intended, but your couple of posts seemed to corroborate this one:

the private server is not just going to be a carbon copy of the the original. There is going to be some big changes to balance, so its not just White beast all day, erry day. there is also possibility of user made missions and items, and a PSP2 style custom class system. but the most interesting proposed change is to the leveling, which will be capped at 200, but levels 100 to 200 will earn far less stats, and take longer to level up. So its essentially capped at 100 but above that is just for E-peen status.

I just think it would suck pretty hard if a hardcore player turned his vision of a "Challenging" PSU into the only alternative we have to the original. That's all, nothing more, nothing less and nothing personal.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
The current thinking is to model leveling off of PSO's curve, where you had all the stats you would ever need at 100, and getting to 200 was an achievement very few would ever obtain.

If that's not your thing, just wait for the project to be finished, download it, and set up your own server with different balancing decisions. This whole thing is going to be open source.

And if there is anything PSU desperately needs, it is some challenge. Not the bullshit everything is impossible to solo and takes 30 minutes to beat in a full party "challenge" v1 had, actual real challenge.

Legendria
Jan 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
The current thinking is to model leveling off of PSO's curve, where you had all the stats you would ever need at 100, and getting to 200 was an achievement very few would ever obtain.

How would the stats fall with this scaling? Overpowered at 100 and diminishing gains towards 200? Normal stats to 100 but less stats after, resulting in perma-weak characters? Normal to 100 but buffed class stat additions? I suppose there's a different forum for this question somewhere, though.

If that's not your thing, just wait for the project to be finished, download it, and set up your own server with different balancing decisions. This whole thing is going to be open source.

Sounds awesome. Do you plan on compatibility with PS2 at all?

And if there is anything PSU desperately needs, it is some challenge. Not the bullshit everything is impossible to solo and takes 30 minutes to beat in a full party "challenge" v1 had, actual real challenge.

V1 certainly had its problems. However, if manual melee critical was around from the start, i doubt there would be as many bad memories lol. That and the INSANE pa level grind. Do you plan on adding separate tables for PA exp, possibly per class? Being able to add the Acro- "innate speed bonus" to other classes? Im interested in this. Actually, is that speed bonus a multiplier of some sort that can be manipulated? Or is it a hard-coded increase?

Im an ancient PSO player so I know the pitfalls of incessant 1 hit kills. PSO is full of false difficulty and cheap death, mostly in EP2. I would hope thats not your direction, although in light of it being open-source, I suppose it doesn't really matter what I think of your personal vision lol.

.....Indeed though, i wouldnt mind making a mission where all megids cannot be resisted. For the lulz.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 28, 2011, 06:29 PM
I think questions this specific would be better discussed elsewhere. I'm sure you can find where if you search around.

I will say, though, that specifics of stat rebalancing have not yet been worked out, as the project isn't to that point quite yet. Gotta get lobbies and missions and inventories and the like working before the balancing act can begin.

And yes, there are a lot of things that are, unfortunately, hard-coded into the game and cannot be changed without significant alteration of the client (this project focuses only on the server). For example, it is impossible for humans and newmans to be given special abilities, as their blast gauges are always set at 0% permanently. Now, this may not be true in the future, depending on what the JP version adds in their big upcoming update.

And nope, no PS2 support. Let's be honest, though, even Sonic Team has given up on the PS2 version.