PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Unleashed (Canceled)

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 12:47 AM
For those of you who RP with me and KNOW that we have too many RPs, don't worry, this isn't one... Yet... You see, I have had the idea to completely blow any previous RPs out of the water. This won't just be a single RP, or a sequence of RPs. This is RPing a whole world :-o.

If you think that sounds hard... You'd be right. We'll be needing a lot of RPers to make this work. Hence the last part of the call. I will keep a running list of anyone who wants to do this at the end of the post. If we don't get enough... Well, I'll probably drop the idea.

The same goes for if we don't get enough writers or artists. Whatever world we choose (more on that later) will need some serious expansion. Naturally, the games only focus on the most exciting parts of the lives of our characters, who only ever serve one faction (2 in the case of Gurhal). Well, considering the scale we're working with, we'll be needing to vastly expand on that. Hence why I want writers and artists in order to expand the world. No need to work on anything yet. Again, this is just seeing who is available to do what. If there aren't enough people, this may not happen. Or, at very least, it may take a bit longer.

Once I get enough people onboard, I will create a poll to see what everyone wants to do. We'll be either basing this on Gurhal, Pioneer 2/Ragol, or Coral (PSZ era). If it goes REALLY well, and there's enough support, we could even do a second world.

For those of you who have Roll Played here before, this next bit may shock you a little: You're gonna have to write out details about your character. No spoilers need be given, but this'll just make things a bit easier for everyone else.

As far as the format of this goes, I'll have to figure that out. I'm sure it'll go well, though.

Now, I used the pronoun "I" a lot there. However, I consider myself nothing more than the one who gets this started. Once it gets into full swing, it'll belong to all the participants.

Anyway, I hope people are somewhat interested in this, as, well, it'd be freaking awesome if it worked. If not, oh well. I may just decide to try again in a few years, if RPing becomes more poular then.

Lists of Artists, Writers, and Participants:

RPers:
[spoiler-box]Seth Astra
HUcast Lv.100
RenzokukenZ
NeonaPulsar
Wayu
DoctorQuark
Akaimizu (maybe)
Xynnia
Kyrith (maybe)
Yueri (maybe)
King_Yoshi42[/spoiler-box]
Writers:
[spoiler-box]RenzokukenZ
NeonaPulsar (maybe)
Doctor Quark (maybe)
ARChan
Akaimizu
Xynnia
Wayu
Big Olaf[/spoiler-box]
Artists:
[spoiler-box]DoctorQuark (maybe)
ARChan (maybe)
Yueri (maybe)[/spoiler-box]

Hmm... I get the feeling I'm forgetting something...

Sord
Jan 20, 2011, 01:00 AM
So basically the RPers are going to start writing their own individual self-aggrandizing stories like normal, but now it's all in one thread. This is quite possibly the-

One thread... I like this idea.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 01:07 AM
Not quite...

*Begins to think that this may just be the dumbest idea I've had yet (which is saying something).*

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 01:08 AM
Why didn't i think of this earlier?! *Facepalm* Oh right i never had an idea like this.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 01:10 AM
Does that mean I can sign you up in the RPers section?

Side note: Considering the scale of this, it may even be years before this becomes what I have in my mind. But, it's a process. After all... I can't think of a good metaphor that's not horridly cliche... Point is, good things take time.

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
I can finely do what iv'e should have been doing. *Facepalm* But it never hit me! Oi. Put me down for 3.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 01:16 AM
Umm... What?

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 01:25 AM
Spot No.3. Put me down on it.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 01:28 AM
Only one other RPer has signed up (myself) but I will put you down as an RPer. Ok?

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 01:37 AM
Gotcha.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 01:44 AM
No need for any of that stuff now. Not until this gets started.

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 01:46 AM
Gotta give that Edit button some respect now.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 20, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'll join.

Sign me up to RPer and Writer :-D

Always wanted to create a world.

NeonaPulsar
Jan 20, 2011, 02:24 AM
Think I'd miss something like this. I have been with you since Phantasy Star Trek. Our first. I'm in. And might try my hand at detailing out the world. Writer as well as RPing.

Wayu
Jan 20, 2011, 03:26 AM
Seth. The heck?

Why didn't you automatically put me up there?? You should've known I'd jump in headfirst.

Renzo and I already have RP stories for our characters in the PSP2 Roleplayers? thread.

Sign me up for both, and him as well.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Jan 20, 2011, 03:36 AM
Already in, lass.

This is actually pretty exciting. Can't wait to scroll through which of my many characters to use on this. And how I'll help expand the chosen world. Let's hope this idea kicks off.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
You will be allowed more than one char.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 20, 2011, 09:40 AM
Huh. Well that's just great then. :grin:

Now to wait on choosing which world to piece it all together.

Wayu
Jan 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
Serizawa has an excuse to world-jump, so doesn't really matter lol.

-Wayu

DoctorQuark
Jan 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Oi! You let this through the gate without even telling me, Seth? You've got some nerve. >w>

Sign me up. :3 Writer, RPer, and POSSIBLY artist. No guarantees there, though. >w<;

ARChan
Jan 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
You can add me to the writer section. Just give me a few weeks to make up a fanfic. I'm not sure if you could add me to the artist section... I mean, I did complete two drawings but I'm not too proud of them.

Akaimizu
Jan 20, 2011, 04:58 PM
I can probably throw myself into the writer section. I actually have quite a bit of stuff written already, so I think it shouldn't be a problem hooking my universe with the rest of it. Depending on time and schedule (when this takes off), I may participate in the RP part as well. Only if it makes sense, of course.

Seth Astra
Jan 20, 2011, 11:38 PM
@Akaimizu: Well, if this works as I hope it will (doubtful, but I can hope), as long as you have your characters stick with the characters of other less-active people (as in, not on as much as me and some others. I remember we kinda... Ditched ya in PSSV... Sorry about that...), you should be fine.

Edit about 2 mins later: Arc, Akaimizu, I put you each down as a maybe for artist and RPer, respectively.

NeonaPulsar
Jan 21, 2011, 12:26 AM
Awesome. More players.

Hey Seth, when can Renzo and I start detailing the place?

Seth Astra
Jan 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
@Neona: 1st: It'd be you, Renzo, Arc, Akaimizu, and Doc. Most likely all doing separate portions. 2nd: Not till we: A. Get enough people for me to even bother with this. B. Decide which world it'll be in.

Wayu
Jan 21, 2011, 03:10 AM
Not me?
:(:(:(
*goes into corner and pulls a Seth (emo)*

-Wayu

Seth Astra
Jan 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
Wayu, I don't remember you signing up to be a writer as well. Just say the word and I will stick you on the list.

Xynnia
Jan 21, 2011, 07:54 PM
This sounds like an interesting venture. Whatever you want to do, I'll help. Put me down as writer and rper please?

Wayu
Jan 22, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hit me.

-Wayu

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 27, 2011, 11:17 PM
alright, put me in as an rper, im not frequent enough to be a writer

ARChan
Jan 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'd like to announce that my fanfic is progressing a whole lot slower than I expected. It might take me another two weeks to get it typed down.

FOkyasuta
Jan 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
@ARC Finger sores. Fun.

I'd be a writer... If i let my fingers type it rather then speaking it.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 28, 2011, 06:54 PM
You guys make enough RP's for an entire forum. Have you finished the other ones yet?

I look forward to seeing if this one actually finishes.

ARChan
Jan 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
It seems that a majority of RPs don't finish at all if the world size is much too big.

@HU: I've actually been handwriting most of it ^^; But the typed version is the real deal. It seems that I'm going off in a different direction with the typed version, which is why the fanfic is taking a long time. The handwritten version is more of a general outline if this keeps up o_o

LarienTiwele
Jan 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
Depending, I may be interested. I've run or helped out on a fair few large-scale RPs before that encompassed not just a thread or so, but had entire forums for one RP in of itself. Of course, that was back in what I call the "age of literates."

Unfortunately, most of those old school full forum RPs are as good as dead or hanging by a thread as the origional members all grew up, etc without new gens to replace. If we could get the numbers down to start up a decient RP like that, you could put me down in an instant as not just an RPer, but a writer for it as well. I could easily go back if I have a PC of any sort, or enough pen and paper (and index cards), and create a whole "third system" (or fourth as case may be since pso2 is in a third it seems) if needed, or flesh out the worlds in others.

Seth Astra
Jan 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
@Nitro&Sord: Thanks for your continued efforts to bring me down about the RPs.

In all honestly, I am calling this off. The major problem is the lack of interest outside the normal RPers. Something like this requires mass participation. Something that there's no way in hell we're gonna get here... Is it fitting that, when I started the RPs, I also doomed them from ever getting mass popularity?

EDIT:

@LarienTiwele: Thanks for your support. That is pretty much what I was thinking about. However, when I think about it. Accomplishing that stuff would require mod support. Which we, currently, do not have.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 28, 2011, 10:27 PM
Seth, you didn't doom them

EDIT: also, Seth, if you go to the role players guild, theres a bunch of RPers there who would probably be interested in something like this, though you might want to take away the PS aspect

LarienTiwele
Jan 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
Actually, there's no real need for mod support there. Its been a few years since I last touched an admin pannel section, but I could probably still figure out my way around invisionfree for a free forum if needed. This way it would be seperate from PSOW main but anyone interested could still join etc. If large enough numbers were to want in on initial group I could even set up a level system if sorts like in older rps I mentioned last post, where you are graded on your writing etc.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 28, 2011, 10:48 PM
if you make a leveling system, i would be very angry.... please don't

LarienTiwele
Jan 28, 2011, 10:50 PM
Might I ask why you would be? Honestly, every time I used it it worked well.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
it kills the fact of an rp and makes it a race for who can make the most intricate posts, and we lose a lot of what makes rps fun, the simplicity, of type and click enter, that's why i prefer these to D&D a lot of the time

LarienTiwele
Jan 28, 2011, 11:08 PM
To be honest, the way you described it, in case of gradings past, would get a worse grade.

Example as to how it was always broken down on grading:

length - 2/10
quality - 4/10
allure - 3/10
grammer - 1/10

Length is nice in a post, but Not as important as the quality and allure that the writer brings to the table. This is because if a writer is good, the length part comes out naturally in the process of making a normal post. They needn't aim to lengthen it. Anyways, if I were to give massive details, this post would become huge. I can give them if wanted, but then I'd also swap to my pc over my poor iPhone to type it all.

Tl;Dr: when I used a grading system it was one based fairly on others (though keep in mind as well it was used as a reward system to people, and they could work at their own pace - on a forum where people would sometimes up and make a post that encompassed 2+ pages in msword, and doesn't always work on smaller)

Seth Astra
Jan 29, 2011, 01:58 AM
If it were on another site... No hope for me being there. Also, Larien, check out FEPlanet's Radience Lost RP. The leveling system there is quite sweet.

@Kyrith: Well, if the people grading it are any good, the leveling system will serve simply to encourage quality posts/threads. Which are good.

Yueri
Jan 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
This does sound interesting.

MIGHT have you put me down for RPer and artist....

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
To be honest, the way you described it, in case of gradings past, would get a worse grade.

length - 2/10
quality - 4/10
allure - 3/10
grammer - 1/10

Length is nice in a post, but Not as important as the quality and allure that the writer brings to the table. This is because if a writer is good, the length part comes out naturally in the process of making a normal post. They needn't aim to lengthen it. Anyways, if I were to give massive details, this post would become huge. I can give them if wanted, but then I'd also swap to my pc over my poor iPhone to type it all.

Tl;Dr: when I used a grading system it was one based fairly on others (though keep in mind as well it was used as a reward system to people, and they could work at their own pace - on a forum where people would sometimes up and make a post that encompassed 2+ pages in msword, and doesn't always work on smaller)

doesn't quality just mean all of those put together?

BIG OLAF
Jan 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
What exactly would a writer's job be? If anyone explained it already, I must have missed it, or just not understood it fully.

LarienTiwele
Jan 29, 2011, 12:20 PM
From what I understand on reading, the writers are in charge of building the world the RP would take place on.

This would be by either (a) expanding upone a preexisting universe if using one like PSU's since we only see a small portion of it (guardians and little wings side) but lack other points of view, most other orginizations etc.

Or (b) creating an entire universe from the big bang up, completely from scratch.

I personally excell at variation b as it gives a ton of freedom.

One can also, as a random idea, create a diverging "alternate reality" off of one of the preexistings and etc as well.

BIG OLAF
Jan 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
I see. I was asking because I'm told that I'm quite skilled with the written word, and I have, before, created entire universes within my mind (I write a lot of stories, most of them being Phantasy Star fan fiction). So, if anyone needs my help with anything, I'd be happy to offer.

Seth Astra
Jan 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Big Olaf, put you down as a writer.

Yueri, put you down as a maybe for both RPer and artist.

ARChan
Jan 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
From what I understand on reading, the writers are in charge of building the world the RP would take place on.

This would be by either (a) expanding upone a preexisting universe if using one like PSU's since we only see a small portion of it (guardians and little wings side) but lack other points of view, most other orginizations etc.

Or (b) creating an entire universe from the big bang up, completely from scratch.

I personally excell at variation b as it gives a ton of freedom.

One can also, as a random idea, create a diverging "alternate reality" off of one of the preexistings and etc as well.

I guess it's pretty nice to actually do it that way. I'm more your option A. Still, I really like to keep it outside of the box from the original storyline and attempt to put a twist to take it to my understanding of the event I'm going by ^^; Then again, I don't really make too many fanfics.

Sord
Jan 31, 2011, 09:18 PM

length - 2/10
quality - 4/10
allure - 3/10
grammer - 1/10

If you applied that system to the majority of active RPers here, most would more than likely fail pretty heavily (though not all, granted the only active one that comes to mind as getting a good grade atm is Quark, but there are people who've written stuff I haven't looked at.) You sound like you would mesh a lot better with the actual co-op fanfictions of old (not that all of those were terribly great.) But I don't think I've seen one of those started since before PSU was even out (granted, I do hop in and out of the forums for lengths of time a lot, so there's a good chance I might have missed one.)

Seth Astra
Jan 31, 2011, 11:54 PM
Ah... The old group fics... I read some of those by chance while I was still lurking... They were not bad... I even tried to bring back the trend. It just failed. BAD.

King_Yoshi42
Feb 1, 2011, 01:23 AM
Making an RP and not including me? For shame.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 1, 2011, 01:25 AM
Ah... The old group fics... I read some of those by chance while I was still lurking... They were not bad... I even tried to bring back the trend. It just failed. BAD.
Don't copy it. Take what you read and make it your own.

Seth Astra
Feb 1, 2011, 01:26 AM
I simply attempted to revive the format. However, it did not do well at all... Probably has to do with it being my idea... Those NEVER go well.

Sord
Feb 1, 2011, 01:51 AM
I simply attempted to revive the format. However, it did not do well at all... Probably has to do with it being my idea... Those NEVER go well.

it's more than it just being you

Seth Astra
Feb 1, 2011, 01:52 AM
Should I be complimented by that statement, or further insulted? I will assume the later, since that appears to be the trend lately.

Sord
Feb 1, 2011, 01:58 AM
Considering it applies to other people, and not you, it really doesn't make it better or worse as far as you are concerned.

Seth Astra
Feb 1, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hmm... I think I may as well give this up... Perhaps someone with talent could manage this better, possibly on another site as to not draw flaming like most of the RPs do. But I am realizing again that these things were very much one of the dumbest ideas in the history of PSOW, at least as long as I am involved...

Even if, hypothetically, this was actually a good idea, we simply lack the manpower to make it happen. Ah well.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 1, 2011, 02:39 AM
What you SHOULD do, is finish a Roleplay for once. Don't just get bored and cry out all over it because it wasn't a perfect vision.

Honestly though, it seems like you'd be better suited for a roleplay forum, rather than a smaller fanworks board that's hardly active anymore. It's good to see a little life in Fanworks, but littering the page with half finished roleplays are not quite the way to go.

Wayu
Feb 1, 2011, 02:40 AM
^

That being said, instead of twiddling our thumbs while doing barrel rolls in this topic can we get to WV? :D

-Wayu

King_Yoshi42
Feb 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
What you SHOULD do, is finish a Roleplay for once. Don't just get bored and cry out all over it because it wasn't a perfect vision.

Honestly though, it seems like you'd be better suited for a roleplay forum, rather than a smaller fanworks board that's hardly active anymore. It's good to see a little life in Fanworks, but littering the page with half finished roleplays are not quite the way to go.

This man is a genius and we should all be listening to him.

Let's finish our damn roleplays for once, Seth.

ARChan
Feb 2, 2011, 12:24 AM
Don't call them damned. Just call them "unfotunate to be left unfinished"

FOkyasuta
Feb 2, 2011, 12:27 AM
@ARC Just leave him to his nekos.

Doesnt any one have patience? And lets just drop the whole Blah acts. They only lead to more insults and you know were that ends up. We just got carried away, Bit of more than we can chew. And watch arc follow up with some innuendo of some sorts.

Seth Astra
Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 AM
It is as HU said. We did not know what the limit to the number of RPs we could handle were. After all, how can we know what our limits are if we don't crash head first into them in a fiery explosion of death? Jokes aside, this whole RP thing was new for PSOW. We, as HU said, bit off more than we could chew.

Wayu
Feb 2, 2011, 03:25 AM
Insert innuendo here.

Oh, and here's some beef jerky. Apparently those of the masculine sex like this stuff.

-Wayu