PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate Implications

Aether
Jan 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'd like talk about something that I notice almost as soon as Phantasy Star Universe was released. The most Unfortunate Implications (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications) surrounding the predominate inhabitants of the planet Moatoob.

The Beast race is largely shown to be dark skinned. They are very physically powerful but have lower mental acuity than the other race; are often shown to be impulsive and short tempered. And have a bad reputation of criminal activity. Not only are their features animalistic; they can actually turn into a monstrous bestial thing! While the Newman race was created as an experiment in transhumanism. The Beast were created as slavelabor.

str898mustang
Jan 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
U need to stop playing PSU for a while

BIG OLAF
Jan 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
We had a thread about this a few months ago. As one can imagine, it went south rather quickly. Yes, Beasts were initially used as slave labor, a long time ago (PSU time, obviously). They aren't anymore.

GCoffee
Jan 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Well you can even see Africa's shape on the map of the Moatoob mission counter, lol. There are lot of such references in the game, with Howzer (Hauser) and Helga being curiously Third Reich German in name and their ambition.

I am actually sure all those implications are wanted. Just don't misinterpret them to make the developers seem like racists.

pikachief
Jan 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yup created a race of super strong beings to do slave labor. Dark skinned most likely due to being exposed to the sun most of their lives.

seems like a perfectly fine excuse to randomly throw in a new beast race into the series lol

BIG OLAF
Jan 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Well you can even see Africa's shape on the map of the Moatoob mission counter, lol. There are lot of such references in the game, with Howzer (Hauser) and Helga being curiously Third Reich German in name and their ambition.

I am actually sure all those implications are wanted. Just don't misinterpret them to make the developers seem like racists.

You think way too much into things. Whether they were meant to be implicated or not, who cares? Just play the game for what it is.

Aether
Jan 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
We had a thread about this a few months ago. As one can imagine, it went south rather quickly. Yes, Beasts were initially used as slave labor, a long time ago (PSU time, obviously). They aren't anymore.

Just how bad did it get?

GCoffee
Jan 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
You think way too much into things. Whether they were meant to be implicated or not, who cares? Just play the game for what it is.

I will think about that if there ever is a shooter where I *only heavily implicatedly* am a Nazi killing all sorts of people because I am the superior race :-P

Who said I even mind those implications? Doesn't change the fact that they are in the game and that I notice them.

milranduil
Jan 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
The linked page in the OP lost its credibility the second I realized the grammar is an utter mess all over that page.

Omega-z
Jan 22, 2011, 11:36 PM
LoL this is Dumb, You do realize that every new race in Phantasy Star are always in slavery. Muskcats,Neumans,Cast,Beast even Humans all had there turn in that part in the storyline. Next it will be Dumans most likely. If you try to find something wrong you'll always will.

Darki
Jan 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
The Beast race is largely shown to be dark skinned. They are very physically powerful but have lower mental acuity than the other race; are often shown to be impulsive and short tempered. And have a bad reputation of criminal activity. Not only are their features animalistic; they can actually turn into a monstrous bestial thing! While the Newman race was created as an experiment in transhumanism. The Beast were created as slavelabor.

Beasts were created for slavery, Newmans basically where geneticist toys (and from past game descriptions, they were created as very short-lived expendable soldiers) and CASTs were the perfect butler.

I dunno what's worst, lol.

Trying to take away the earthy implications (something impossible to some short-tempered), the fact that Beasts are often pictured as dark-skinned is only natural and shouldn't suppose an offense to any human being in some sort of enraging correlation between black race and slavery. Simply, they're creatures created to exist in a very sunny, hot and desert planet, the fact that black race comes from Africa is no coincidence, lol. You don't need to study much of Biology to know why black skin is better suited to resist solar exposition.

About the "monstruous" bestial thing, why is that aggravating? Beasts have access to the ability to turn into very adapted creatures that can surpass in power and phisical strenght most of native creatures from Moatoob. Ask a beast if for him/her is aggravating and bad to be able to turn into a thing able to moop the floor with the face of a Bil de Vear in less than 30~50 secs. Also, not everybody thinks that is monstruous, many people here thinks werewolf stuff is really cook.

Finally, the idea of Beasts as easy to go to the criminal style... well you only gotta go see Laia as the opposite example. I believe it's only natural to use any means to survive when your planet is harsh and difficult, compared to Parum which seems to be an Eden garden compared to Moatoob. If in your planet only grows an apple and there are two beasts it's only natural to think theyll fight for it (as they're that short-tempered).

In short, anybody who wants to get offended or find racist impplications here are just drama queens who are too bored of the game to play it.

MillyB
Jan 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
U need to stop playing PSU for a while

lol they need to get out more:clown:

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
U need to stop playing PSU for a whileMore like he needs to stop looking at TV Tropes forever.

IITuleII
Jan 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
Finally, the idea of Beasts as easy to go to the criminal style... well you only gotta go see Laia as the opposite example. I believe it's only natural to use any means to survive when your planet is harsh and difficult, compared to Parum which seems to be an Eden garden compared to Moatoob. If in your planet only grows an apple and there are two beasts it's only natural to think theyll fight for it (as they're that short-tempered).

In short, anybody who wants to get offended or find racist impplications here are just drama queens who are too bored of the game to play it.

Thats kind of the point. Slaves, after freed, where given a shitty hand to live with. Though black people have still been able to pull themselves up and make something of themselves. Just like Leo and Laia. Laia is Obama. She needs an awesome poster, not a rappy.

If you are offended by the Beast race then you are a drama queen. If you just manage to see the clear and more than likely purposed similarities, you are just aware.

Aether
Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thats kind of the point. Slaves, after freed, where given a shitty hand to live with. Though black people have still been able to pull themselves up and make something of themselves. Just like Leo and Laia. Laia is Obama. She needs an awesome poster, not a rappy.

If you are offended by the Beast race then you are a drama queen. If you just manage to see the clear and more than likely purposed similarities, you are just aware.

Mildly off putting, since in the real a lot of the attributes of the Beast race. Are negative stereotypes applicable to my branch of theN.O.C. (http://www.startribune.com/yourvoices/82188702.html).

But I am not actually offended, And I agree that it was deliberate. Especially when you consider that one of if not the main moral of Phantasy Star Universe. Is that racism violence and racial violence are bad and that everybody should live and let live.

IITuleII
Jan 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
Exactly. And Vivienne is like "Beasts intimidate me" and you can say "zOMG YOU RACIST". Then theres "George Bush doesn't.." I mean.. "Guardians don't care about beast people". Lumia also has some race problems. Then the whole cast and human supremacy. Pretending the tie-ins don't exist is the more childish stance.

pstargod
Jan 29, 2011, 08:49 AM
this is the stupidest thing i have seen in a while

Mike
Jan 29, 2011, 09:48 AM
Previous thread is here.

xBladeM6x
Jan 29, 2011, 11:10 AM

No, this is real life. YOU LIE.

BIG OLAF
Jan 29, 2011, 12:03 PM
No, this is real life. YOU LIE.

It seems some people would believe so, hence this thread. Racial conspiracies in video games and whatnot.

bupjo
Jan 29, 2011, 02:41 PM
this is the stupidest thing i have seen in a while

yeah, it is stupid to those that never had to deal with racial implications, racism, discrimination, etc. you'd have to (i'll just put it bluntly), be black to understand why we feel they're are racial implications going on here. especially when it comes to the dark skinned vs. light-skinned beasts Laia for example, and alfort tylor who has 'white' features...i mean why couldn't he be dark skinned. in the black community there has always been this thing with light-skin being better or it's ok to be dark but not too dark...i mean yeah to the average person that just never had to deal with the mind f*ck that comes with racism and stereotypes this will seem stupid...but the reality is, even if this was or was not intensional racial implications, black people will question if there is or is not racial implications going on because we live with it daily. but then i also wonder do we black folks put ourselves in a box and put ourselves in position for these stereotypes. i can honestly say, no one hates black people more than black people. that willie lynch syndrone...anyway, i can understand why people feel the Beasts have racial implecations rather it's intentional or not.

Orochinagi
Feb 4, 2011, 03:13 AM
I do believe that it was somewhat done purposely, but not in a negative manner. As mentioned before, a beast is now the president and female. Beast are also the most popular race in the game on Xbox 360 server. And when ppl are playing this race, they are doing "good" things. This game truly shows that any race and be bad or good. The Vol Brothers were thugs too, but they helped save the universe as well. Be open minded, and not so negative ppl.

Professor Xavier
Feb 4, 2011, 04:39 AM
I'd like talk about something that I notice almost as soon as Phantasy Star Universe was released. The most Unfortunate Implications (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications) surrounding the predominate inhabitants of the planet Moatoob.

I have analysed the genetic markers in the Beast race. They are actually an eveolutionary leap forward. They are a possible future evolution of the Nueman race. Genetic DNA markers go forward and backward at the third and fourth sequences. The Beast race has both of these markers. The Nueman race only contains one or the other. With both this is an idecator of future eveolutionary possiblilities. Now if you had third and fourth with just forward sequences. This would indicate evolutionary throwback.

The dark skin aperation just indicates higher than normal cell density. The high physical strength comes directly from the decrease in tech points. The lower mental acuity comes from the third lobe in the brain. Human and nueman do not have this extra lobe. This third lobe has not use as we know it. But could possibly be a genetic defect. A defect which given another 100 years would show the eventual exstinction of the beast race. We have known for some time the nueman race is doomed to exstinction because of the creation process by the ancients. This defect created the first strains of beast DNA. Combined with other species DNA created the beast race.

Now to restore the genetic defects in both races you would have to have a pairing of both races. But since the numan race does not have the third and fourth markers with forward and backward. There would be no genderficationziontintadne. So if they were paired it would create a third gender and race. A hybrid nueman/beast or Nuebeast. This nubeast could have any combination of high powered tech and strentgh or a combenation of both. This hybrid could possibly be used for copilation and third gender. Required for reproduction of both races. This trifecta could create nueman beast or nuebeast. With the DNA defects dooming both races to future extinction anything could happen. This is one possiblity.

The monsterous beastly thing you refere to is just a defensive pherimon emitted during the beasts rage mode. This pherimon actually makes nueman, human and cast races hallucinate and see a raging huge beastly monster. This pherimon came from DNA strands in a hallucinagenic flower that is now extinct.

This accounts for the three types of beast colors. This would bring the three together to cohesivly bond the DNA of all of the races. Correcting the genetic defect.

There are further revelations to come. But we are not ready for them yet. Perhaps in 100 years.

Darki
Feb 4, 2011, 05:12 AM
WTF? o_o

Dragwind
Feb 6, 2011, 04:31 PM
Well, that sure would be an interesting implication in itself.

Elley
Feb 7, 2011, 06:08 PM
I are not slave! :3

Corey Blue
Feb 7, 2011, 06:46 PM
How dare you talk back beast!!

Proto07
Feb 7, 2011, 07:06 PM

I are person and my name is Anakin!