PDA

View Full Version : massive slowdown in offline multiplayer

marionettemaster
Mar 12, 2003, 05:01 PM
when playing offline multiplayer with 3 people, no problem

but when we added a 4th person.. felt like pso online with lag times 3

the biggest lag places (on normal and episode1) was caves and mines.. caves was pretty bad while the mines being the worst, but thank God that's only 2 areas

ruins was surprisingly fine.. while forest had only a few slow-down spots

and i know whats bringing it about... its the backgrounds.. caves' lava and caves2 waterfall areas did it the most and blah blah on some of the other areas with background movement/animation

wondering if this is for everyone who tried it with 4 people offline

Whatley
Mar 12, 2003, 05:16 PM
Me and my friends got major lag in those areas too. Using the Gi or Ra techs while in those areas didn't help either.

Palimak
Mar 12, 2003, 05:31 PM
It happens to me too but I don't understand why the gamecube can't handle 4 people playing PSO yet it can handle 4 people on any other game released so far...

Nester
Mar 12, 2003, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I guess my old topic got lost about it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif If you want to see something nasty play EP 2 online or offline with 4 people and have a force use gifoie. Offline I've seen 4 player lag in forest :/ I've tested this on 3 GC's... All were purchased at day one midnight so let me know if anyone can actually have 4 people going lag free in ANY level. I heard the drives on the original GC's were flakey...

I've got one word to describe this. Umm ok so it's two. Poor code. When they ported it they didn't bother optimizing for the gamecube and it really shows in EP 2. This should not be an issue like was previously stated I know games more intensive that run smoother than PSO. Unforunately it's either this or the DC ver....

Phobos-X
Mar 12, 2003, 11:24 PM
no, ive had the same problem on a relatively new Platinmu GC. I think it has to do with the texturing or someshit like that. especially in the mines where there is a reflection on the floor of what is happening.

EsperFlame
Mar 13, 2003, 12:10 AM
Also there's the fact that when your playing in 4 player offline mode, it's practically running 4 games at the same time. Even the X-Box is gonna have troubles with the offline mode like that. I just wish when they ported it over it wasn't a direct port and that they had at least tried to tweak the engine for GCN so it would run better. There's no excuse for the slowdown in online mode when playing Ep 2. It's almost inexcusable. In a way, I'm hoping we see a re-release of the game that addresses alot of these issues.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EsperFlame on 2003-03-12 21:11 ]</font>

ALPHAM0F0
Mar 13, 2003, 12:37 AM
On 2003-03-12 21:10, EsperFlame wrote:
Even the X-Box is gonna have troubles with the offline mode like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EsperFlame on 2003-03-12 21:11 ]</font>

i dunno i haven't encountered much offline lag at all with 4 people, just in the water fall room. but thats probly because im running it strait off the hard drive, so that might be why.
Pso is the only game that makes my Hd indicator Flip out, makes me laugh, cause the game isn't all that big, and not as flashy as, say, halo.
but the main thing is the game lags horribly on my Gc in 4 player split screen. especially in the mines, and Ep2 anything.

Blood_Dragoon
Mar 13, 2003, 02:19 AM
Have 3 FO's cast lvl 30 Gifoie in the same room with you and see if your game lags in offline multiplayer. . . http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Phobos-X
Mar 13, 2003, 08:01 AM
i dunno about the xbox having the same problem. games like DOA3, DOAXBV, Splinter Cell and Halo, use far more processing power than PSO, and i havent seen slowdown in any of those games. Unless of course, they simply ported the GC version without addressing the problem, then yes the xbox will have the same laggy feeling

wizkid357
Mar 13, 2003, 06:44 PM
Yah I don`t know why but you said is true!

Robomonke
Mar 13, 2003, 08:59 PM
great job Wiz...you sound real smart...

a bit of a question for AlphaMofo considering the xbox version of PSO hasent been released how would you play it?

MonoxideChild
Mar 14, 2003, 05:14 AM
It can be imported from Japan, lol. It just mainly has to do with poor programming on Sonic Team's part. Hopefully they will fix this if they put out a exp. pack (another version) for PSO Ep. 1&2.

TheMaskedPikachu
Mar 14, 2003, 06:59 AM
I saw slowdown in one player last night. I was playing in ether the Hard Caves or the Hard Forest. I did a 3-combo away from the monsters ,by accident, when all of a suden it was slow! It was so wierd. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheMaskedPikachu on 2003-03-14 04:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheMaskedPikachu on 2003-03-14 04:12 ]</font>

wizkid357
Mar 14, 2003, 01:40 PM
On 2003-03-13 17:59, Robomonke wrote:
great job Wiz...you sound real smart...

a bit of a question for AlphaMofo considering the xbox version of PSO hasent been released how would you play it?

I`m not talking to you just forget about the FOmar thing please!

2Xtreme
Mar 14, 2003, 03:52 PM
Do you want lag? This will lag your GameCube:

1) Go to the Seabed Upper Levels, and find one of the large rooms with watery floors and a raised platform on each side.
2) Now, have all four players cast Gifoie.
3) Try to move.