PDA

View Full Version : PSO2:A Translator

Corey Blue
Jan 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
Is it even possible for Sega to put a translator in PSO? I never seen it done before but we gonna need one.We gotta mingle with the Japanese sometimes and not understanding them is a problem.(So do you guys think it's possible.)

Cranberry
Jan 31, 2011, 09:45 AM
Depends on what you mean. It would be possible for them to implement something like Google Translate, but of course this would not be accurate translations. It would be possible to do though.

What would be more likely is what Sega did for PSO - Word Select. Where you can construct simple phrases and have them automatically translated into the receivers native language. While many people mocked Word Select, it was effective if you knew how to use it.

Akaimizu
Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 AM
It was really effective. I used it in the Dreamcast PSO a lot. And yes, it worked for me. Had a few Japanese friends I ran with, and at the time, we didn't know each other's language well enough to communicate, otherwise.

Googlebonker
Jan 31, 2011, 04:35 PM
While it could be improved upon, Final Fantasy XI had an auto-translate system. You could use names of items, certain words, questions, etc. with the auto-translate system, and it would translate into something that someone with another default language might be able to understand.

Tetsaru
Jan 31, 2011, 05:13 PM
While it could be improved upon, Final Fantasy XI had an auto-translate system. You could use names of items, certain words, questions, etc. with the auto-translate system, and it would translate into something that someone with another default language might be able to understand.

I remember this system, and I thought it was ingenious. Sometimes it took a while to find the right words or phrases, but at other times, it worked as a nice auto-complete text system. And I always lol'd when people were like, "brb [Throne Room]" when they had to take a bathroom break. :D

Kent
Jan 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
Final Fantasy XI's auto-translator was done really well, in my opinion, and was the same general idea as PSO's Word Select, but much more intuitive to actually use - mostly because you could do it in-line, rather than having to use a menu for everything (that is, you partially type out a word or phrase, hit Tab, and it brings up a list of terms from its dictionary that start with that string of characters, and you select from there).

Though it would be really interesting to see an implementation of Google/Bing/Whathaveyou translation for people just typing in their normal text. Just have a shortcut that's not something you'd normally use in the game (like on a controller, something like Back+RS/Select+R3) to toggle the automated translation of plain text into your system's language. Of course it'd be a little less than accurate, but it'd make at least more sense than just trying to read it as-is if you don't know the language.

Googlebonker
Feb 1, 2011, 03:02 AM
True, but then you`ll run into misunderstandings based on incorrectly translated phrases and thoughts. Local slang would also become a problem.

I do agree that FFXI`s translation system was overall more well implemented than PSO`s.

Kent
Feb 1, 2011, 04:52 PM
That kind of an issue is understood when opting into the automated plain-text translation. It should actually come with a disclaimer when you first enable it, that such is the case.

Jinketsu
Feb 2, 2011, 09:15 AM
FFXI's translation system is wonderful. It can be somewhat confusing to foreign players when using auto-translation for words and phrases similar in fashion, but not quite the same meaning. For instance, [Bee][Ready!] or [May][Bee] and stuff like that.

But laziness aside, I would welcome something similar to XI's in any MMORPG. The only thing I don't like about XI's translation system is the lack of support for recent additions to the game like Abyssea - which is due to a PS2 limitation, but I digress.

ThEoRy
Feb 2, 2011, 09:03 PM
Symbol chat!

Peace!