PDA

View Full Version : I hope Sonic Team is not making this

ShinMaruku
Jan 31, 2011, 11:08 PM
Overseeing sure, but if they are making it I have bad vibes.

What good games have they made post pso? XD

Ieora
Jan 31, 2011, 11:11 PM
.....The fact that a valid answer is not revealing itself to me is sign of bad tidings. Or I just had way too much soda. Not sure.

Arkios
Jan 31, 2011, 11:38 PM
I think that would be pretty hard to do since they basically do not exist any longer. From what I understand most of their team has moved on to other projects/companies/teams. There is no longer a Sonic Team USA either.

There is a Wikipedia article that explains the history pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Team

In all fairness, I actually really liked their titles back when they were producing games for Dreamcast. The Sonic Adventure series was really good. After that, I'd have to agree with OP, they really kinda went downhill for a few years and then disappeared.

ShinMaruku
Feb 1, 2011, 12:04 AM
Well after Sonic Aventure and PSO all the greats left, some went to USA studios (I know 1 worked at naughty Dog help creating Jak and such)
After that they made junk.

Kent
Feb 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
Contrary to popular belief, many people hate on Sonic Unleashed simply because it's a Sonic game - not because of the game's actual quality, which is substantially high (it easily contains the best 3D gameplay the series has seen thus far, save for perhaps Sonic Colors, though my time with it has been brief but promising). Though, I would say that just as many people like to hate on the game because of the nighttime levels being completely different gameplay, despite their overall very high quality.

So yes, Sonic Team has made at least one very good game since PSO was released; it just happens to be one that people are more than willing to unjustifiably deride because of the namesake or expected gameplay changes.

Ezodagrom
Feb 1, 2011, 05:21 PM

Believe it or not, Sonic Team is actually starting to make good games again (or at least above average games).
Sonic Colours for the Wii got an average of 7.8/10 on Metacritic, and it's quite a fun game, even if a little bit short. :P

Also, I think we can expect good stuff from PSO2, the producer of the Phantasy Star Portable series is apparently leading the PSO2 project, and looks like the team that is currently doing Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity will join the team that is currently doing PSO2 once Infinity is released.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-news-roundup-famitsu-weapon-pso2-pspo3/

Dr. Montague
Feb 1, 2011, 05:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I found Sonic Colors (Made by Sonic Team) to be one of the best Sonic games since Adventure and Adventure 2. Also on a good note, that was a very recent game too, so that Sonic Team may be stepping their game up.

Of course, I have no knowledge of how they will be handing PSO2 until we have a good amount of more details.

Kenbog
Feb 1, 2011, 07:03 PM
Come on they only screwed up Sonic games so far...
The only bad thing they did was ignore the countries outside JP and give them a slow evolving hold back version of there perfect games...
(pso gc didnt had all downloadable quests, blue burst never got whole content released and unlocked things way to slow and PSU had the same fate as PSOBB)

IF they give global support like they said at there presentation and they mean it like treating us equally as there home country in the form of progress, attention, events and updates, then you could expect a wonderful game experience out of PSO2.

ShinMaruku
Feb 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
Contrary to popular belief, many people hate on Sonic Unleashed simply because it's a Sonic game - not because of the game's actual quality, which is substantially high (it easily contains the best 3D gameplay the series has seen thus far, save for perhaps Sonic Colors, though my time with it has been brief but promising). Though, I would say that just as many people like to hate on the game because of the nighttime levels being completely different gameplay, despite their overall very high quality.

So yes, Sonic Team has made at least one very good game since PSO was released; it just happens to be one that people are more than willing to unjustifiably deride because of the namesake or expected gameplay changes.
Sonic Unleashed had a disjointed werehog shift to the game that did not fit with the theme. Sure not as bad as the first next gen one and maybe as good as heroes, but still that's a low bar for a game that used to set standards.

As for colours I have not hear much on it good or bad so I won't comment on that.
Let's say it's good, they still have a shit streak that makes me VERY skeptical.
But seeing the last game close to this game's style was dissapointed you can't fault me for giving the doubt. I never give the benefit till it's proven.

Corey Blue
Feb 1, 2011, 10:25 PM
I think that would be pretty hard to do since they basically do not exist any longer. From what I understand most of their team has moved on to other projects/companies/teams. There is no longer a Sonic Team USA either.

There is a Wikipedia article that explains the history pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Team

In all fairness, I actually really liked their titles back when they were producing games for Dreamcast. The Sonic Adventure series was really good. After that, I'd have to agree with OP, they really kinda went downhill for a few years and then disappeared.

Wow they really don't exist anymore,and this is my last SEGA game,after that little Xbox live incident,I'm done with SEGA.(All my damn sega arcade games,I had to pay for again.)

Ezodagrom
Feb 1, 2011, 10:36 PM
As for colours I have not hear much on it good or bad so I won't comment on that.
Let's say it's good, they still have a shit streak that makes me VERY skeptical.
But seeing the last game close to this game's style was dissapointed you can't fault me for giving the doubt. I never give the benefit till it's proven.
About Colours, its gameplay is based on Sonic Unleashed day stages, it has more platforming, more 2D sections, and there's some optional power-ups (the wisps) that add more exploration to the game.

Video of the first stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4IRRJ_X4DU

Kent
Feb 2, 2011, 12:21 AM
Sonic Unleashed had a disjointed werehog shift to the game that did not fit with the theme. Sure not as bad as the first next gen one and maybe as good as heroes, but still that's a low bar for a game that used to set standards.
I disagree; I would say that it's a significantly better game than Sonic Heroes was... But I'd have to say that there werehog shift in the game actually does fit with the game's themes rather well (partly because it, well, establishes the game's themes in the first place).

I still don't think it's a very low bar for Sonic game standards in the first place - at the very least, the game is very well-made on a technical level, which is far more than can be said about Sonic 2006. The fact that the (daytime) stages expressly capture the feel of what modern Sonic games should be like, and were even used as the basis for what many consider a real return-to-form for the series.

I can't help but notice that you're pinning the inclusion of the nighttime stages as your problem with the game though. How do you feel about the daytime stages (assuming you actually played the game)?

ShinMaruku
Feb 2, 2011, 12:27 AM
If it were all day time stages I'd have put it behind Sonic Adventure 2. I don't like uneven experiences and when a game is like that I get bummed out and stop enjoying it as I should.
A great well designed game is one with a solid feel. (Same reason why I thought that EA's parkour game was kind of a mess, and games with multiplayer shoe horned in just irks me. They should stick what they do great and polish that.

Ezodagrom
Feb 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
If it were all day time stages I'd have put it behind Sonic Adventure 2. I don't like uneven experiences and when a game is like that I get bummed out and stop enjoying it as I should.
Sonic Adventure 2 is also an uneven experience, with the game constantly shifting between fast platforming, mech shooting and treasure hunting.

ShinMaruku
Feb 2, 2011, 04:31 AM
True but I like Sonic Adventure way more than it. it was when they started to burn Sonic

NoiseHERO
Feb 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
[Ultra off topic]

I found sonic adventure 2 annoying...

-They watered down knuckle's importants...and gave him some furry chick as a rival and that's his whole story.

-Sonic Adventure 1 brought in the new style...and it didn't look bad it looked better... But sonic adventure 2 seemed to stretch it out even more, making everyone ugly...

-It had shadow, when they totally couldof used metal sonic, making the game not-suck. D:

-They made you play as eggman.

-Tails didn't play like tails...both him an eggman were given E-102's gameplay...Laaaame.

-No adventure fields (Suuuuuper lame.)

-No spindash spam.

-Grinding was cool, but actually took too much out of gameplay...

-Stop putting sonic in cars

Did I mention it gave birth to shadow? = Knuckles no longer sonic's proper rival, and metal sonic who was sonic's best villian gets the boot. (besides when they ruined him in HEROES.)

Only thing adventure 1 did worse...was give amy too much attention...

Ezodagrom
Feb 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Both Adventure 1 and Adventure 2 were average games, in my opinion. Both had good things and bad things, none was better than the other.

Adventure 1 had a few problems with collision detection, slippery controls, annoying gameplay styles that don't belong in Sonic games like Big's fishing, Gamma's mech shooting, and even Knuckles treasure hunting and Amy's slow gameplay could be mentioned here.

Adventure 2 improved on the controls, graphics and voice acting, but brought back some of the previous gameplay styles that don't belong and made them even worse, with the mech shooting stages being too long and treasure hunting stages having a broken radar. The main stages (Sonic/Shadow) were dumbed down a bit too much, were made a bit too linear, and placed too much importance on grinding, especially in the later stages.

In a way it could be said that Unleashed is as good as the Adventure games then, since it has at least one similar issue, a big part of it is unrelated to Sonic styled gameplay, like in the Adventure games.

Then there's Sonic Colours, which is fully Sonic styled gameplay, while it's far from perfect, it's an improvement compared to past attempts, it shows that Sonic Team today is not the same Sonic Team from 4~5 years ago, the Sonic Team that made PSU and the horrible Sonic 06.

NoiseHERO
Feb 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
I haven't played any console sonic games after sonic heroes...

but from the looks 06 they really did try to step their game up, just that everything backfired...

Secret rings I dunno...Black knight looks horrible

I didn't see anything wrong with unleashed other than werehog...and that whole storybook plot. >_____>

and Colors looks fun, just that the setting looks annoying and yeah it's got good ratings, if you don't like it, you can't really say you like sonic at all from the sounds of it... "Sega ruined sonic all his games suck now" is basically just saying constantly repeated words to look cool now...

Also yeah, I liked heroes more than adventure even though they've soiled metal sonic in it.(C'mon espio was awesome ]:)

Kierto
Feb 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
As long as Kobayashi and Kumatani do the music, plus points for PSO2. It's cool to sprinkle in some Tokoi and super bonus points if they can somehow rope in Hataya.

Although some of the new guys brought in for PSPo2 and presumably Infinity did a good job on some pieces (i.e. Hunt Up, El-Bals, Orga stuff, Ohtori, Gigant Mass)

Ezodagrom
Feb 3, 2011, 07:57 PM
As long as Kobayashi and Kumatani do the music, plus points for PSO2. It's cool to sprinkle in some Tokoi and super bonus points if they can somehow rope in Hataya.

Although some of the new guys brought in for PSPo2 and presumably Infinity did a good job on some pieces (i.e. Hunt Up, El-Bals, Orga stuff, Ohtori, Gigant Mass)
Kobayashi, Kumatani, Tokoi, Hataya, they all worked on the soundtrack for Sonic Colours, wouldn't be surprised if they'll also work on the soundtrack for PSO2. :P
http://info.sonicretro.org/Vivid_Sound_x_Hybrid_Colors:_Sonic_Colors_Original _Soundtrack

Mystil
Feb 11, 2011, 08:00 AM

Now that's a good question..