PDA

View Full Version : College... You are so not worth it. [PART TROIS!!]

Tyreek
Feb 7, 2011, 03:47 AM
I was weighing whether this should go to Bullshxt or have its own thread, but since I know I'm gonna go on a long winded process as usual, I may as well let people see this on its own thread. So...

This is my final semester in college. No, that doesn't mean I'm graduating. I'm unfortunately dropping out. It would have been much earlier, however, the school has a lease policy on leaving housing early. Unless you're graduating, you're gonna pay a fine, up to $2000 for breaking your lease. Now they allow you to appeal this by writing a letter to the dean, however my situation turned up too late to pull up some heart wrenching appeal, plus, I wanted to give this one last shot.

Now turning to the present situation, this semester is a total mess. They screwed up my degree audit during Christmas break, tossing out required classes for my degree that I actually passed and received good grades on. I made sure to make it known that I wanted that fixed. Plus, they did not add an independent study class I asked for before the semester ended. So I'm basically at risk for no financial aid. I tried to take this up with the department chairs, and their help was... Not so much, but basically, I've been given the loopdey-loop that entire week. I pretty much gave up at that point since this is the end of the road. The dean emailed me with concern about whether I am taking this semester or not. I reply about my situation, and pleaded for any help they could give. Did they give it? NO. I give up trying with this school.

I've taken most of all of my required classes, and the only thing stopping me is passing my final portfolio review, which I have failed twice already. My first attempt ended up unfinished due to a city wide blackout that lasted until 4AM. They still let me put up what I had, but it did little good. Second attempt was also a failure, but it actually went better, and they actually gave me some positive feedback for my work. So this is the last I'm giving it.

My motivation is very nil at this point. I put up with enough bs the past 2 semesters. I can't get a loan without a cosigner, and my mom said she's done with these loans at this point. Plus, she had it in her heart to take out some money from the parent plus loan, which I couldn't withstand the last semester without that. But now she has to focus paying back that money, especially when she herself has no job and is only getting by with her social security benefits. In short, it was money wasted. Now the only way they say I can continue through another semester, is if I do a payment plan. And its 145+ a month. Now this wouldn't be such a burden... If I had a job. And funny enough, when I started this semester, they told me I owe $300 now.

I have had an annoying time trying to get a job while I was here. The closest I ever gotten was a job at Apple, that was unfortunately crushed, because they emailed me the next day that I don't get to have an interview. And its been a wreck since. I didn't get a job while I was in college for two reasons, 1) being that I wanted to focus on my school work, 2) that I saw my roommates and friends handle a job and stay in school full time. It ended up failing hard for them. Now that I go back and look at the situation, that would be a mistake in itself. The work I've been doing at this school may as well be "work" enough after all the hours I spent crafting and 3d modeling per day each assignment. Sigh...

So now I'm sitting by, waiting for the next sign up for reviews to come, and taking the only 1 class I have signed up for, while searching apps for a job position and at the same time, deal with little income from my mother while she rages at me to try harder at finding a job. Apparently for jobs telling me they aren't hiring at the moment. *rolls eyes* I know I'm gonna be billed again for this month, and that raises my amount to 445+ now. By the next month it'll probably be $600.

I look back and remember back in 2005 when I graduated high school, when I did have a job, a satisfying position being a cashier, money, and the only bills I had to worry about were my phone bill and credit card bill, which could be easily paid. I just needed to get over my issue with driving and I would have been set. But I wanted to aim higher. Because my brother aimed and he made it out, now he's got the experience and the degree.

I should have considered community college, but instead, I chose to go to an Art school, and try to do game design. The beginning was fun, I got what I needed done, and pushed onward. But then I couldn't hack it the final years. Everything became more stressful, more pressing, what I sought before in my degree, I couldn't find anymore. So I tried to go with the flow as the major changed. But it was of no avail. I've been out of work for a long time, and its getting hard to get back in when I need it.

I know I hit a bump in the road somewhere and possibly made poor choices concerning this. I acknowledge that much. And at the same time, while I do want a job while being here, it would be such a waste of time. By the end of March, I'm not renewing my lease, and I'm certainly not gonna stay another semester only to be billed even more money by this damn school, which apparently gives little of a damn about my situation in putting me in more debt than I could possibly want for this lifetime. College... You are so not worth it.

Well, apologies for this wall of text. But if you braved through it, you're welcome to give your thoughts... Or lecture. Pick your poison lol. Just don't be an asshole if you have to make a point.

Delete
Feb 7, 2011, 05:07 AM
Finding a job these days is like finding Gold. When my first job let me go, it took nearly a whole year for me to find another. And that's with me looking every week and putting apps in everywhere, so I can relate to that. I haven't went to College yet, I'm 20 yrs old now and I should look into doing so though. But just by reading your story and hearing from so many of my friends who went, it doesn't seem worth it. Only 3 out of like 100+ people I know went on to do something great, the others are in places like Wal-mart which is where I am at the moment.I do hope everything works out for ya though man. Good luck.

BIG OLAF
Feb 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
College may not seem worth it in the immediate future. Because, as Delete said, some of his college-graduate friends are still stocking shelves at Wal-mart. But, if you don't go to college, you'll never make as much money as someone else who did go, once you find a good, solid career (which will happen sooner or later). It may not seem like it's paying off right this second, but it's good to have it under your belt once some years have gone by.

Now, if there's extenuating circumstances, like there seems to be in your case, Tyreek, and you have no choice but to drop out, then I think it would be all right. You just have to make a promise to yourself that you'll do what you can to finish your education once you have the resources to do so.

EDIT: I haven't even gone to college, but I find my previous points to be extremely true and valid. I know a lot of people over 30 years of age that never went to college, and lord, are they kicking themselves now. Stuck in the same dead-end job for 10+ years, and young kids coming in, fresh off the street, making more money than them just because they have a diploma. The only reason I haven't gone to college yet is because I don't have enough money to pay for it. But, once I do, you bet I'm going.

Randomness
Feb 7, 2011, 12:57 PM
It does depend on the degree, too. Job prospects are much better in some fields than others. Computer stuff, obviously, does well regardless of other factors.

Game design... everyone wants to make video games, but I have to wonder how many actually know what kinds of work go into it. There's probably very few actual artists required, as opposed to programmers and management and stuff. I could go look at Starcraft II's credits again I guess (Seriously, those are the most detailed credits for a game I've ever seen, they even list the band members who performed the music individually)

Outrider
Feb 7, 2011, 01:13 PM
Game design... everyone wants to make video games, but I have to wonder how many actually know what kinds of work go into it. There's probably very few actual artists required, as opposed to programmers and management and stuff. I could go look at Starcraft II's credits again I guess (Seriously, those are the most detailed credits for a game I've ever seen, they even list the band members who performed the music individually)

It doesn't help that a lot of universities have crappy game design programs that don't actually teach you much and are just there to try and bring in some money by catching the wave of aspiring designers.

Not sure if it helps, but it is possible to earn quite a bit of money by learning a trade, such as becoming an electrician or a plumber. It might not be super easy, but I just think it's worth pointing out that college isn't the only way to become financially successful.

joefro
Feb 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Not sure if it helps, but it is possible to earn quite a bit of money by learning a trade, such as becoming an electrician or a plumber. It might not be super easy, but I just think it's worth pointing out that college isn't the only way to become financially successful.

This is a very true statement. Most of the people where I live (extremely South Louisiana) don't go to college and they make more money than I will with a degree. They do much more physical work than I will, but they will make double or triple what I do. I'm talking about off shore working which is available in many states that are close to some kind of water source.

Volcompat321
Feb 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
Slightly off topic-

Here in Orlando, Florida, there's a school called Full Sail University, and it is an AMAZING school to go into any type of recording arts, graphic design, and well.... ANY type of artist career.

On topic- GO TO COLLEGE!
I wish to a god I do not believe in that I went when I was younger, cause I would have been graduated by now.

I have yet to start, and as I get older, I ask myself if I ever will.

Do yourself a favor, and go!

Tyreek
Feb 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
Finding a job these days is like finding Gold. When my first job let me go, it took nearly a whole year for me to find another. And that's with me looking every week and putting apps in everywhere, so I can relate to that. I haven't went to College yet, I'm 20 yrs old now and I should look into doing so though. But just by reading your story and hearing from so many of my friends who went, it doesn't seem worth it. Only 3 out of like 100+ people I know went on to do something great, the others are in places like Wal-mart which is where I am at the moment.I do hope everything works out for ya though man. Good luck.

I recently sent in an application to Aeropostale. So we'll see where that goes. Though the supervisor said they aren't hiring until March... I'm leaving at the end of March. *rolls eyes* Time to apply for Boarders and Best Buy.

College may not seem worth it in the immediate future. Because, as Delete said, some of his college-graduate friends are still stocking shelves at Wal-mart. But, if you don't go to college, you'll never make as much money as someone else who did go, once you find a good, solid career (which will happen sooner or later). It may not seem like it's paying off right this second, but it's good to have it under your belt once some years have gone by.

Now, if there's extenuating circumstances, like there seems to be in your case, Tyreek, and you have no choice but to drop out, then I think it would be all right. You just have to make a promise to yourself that you'll do what you can to finish your education once you have the resources to do so.

EDIT: I haven't even gone to college, but I find my previous points to be extremely true and valid. I know a lot of people over 30 years of age that never went to college, and lord, are they kicking themselves now. Stuck in the same dead-end job for 10+ years, and young kids coming in, fresh off the street, making more money than them just because they have a diploma. The only reason I haven't gone to college yet is because I don't have enough money to pay for it. But, once I do, you bet I'm going.

I've come to realize that when it comes to college, the only means to succeed is to be motivated, and have a plan. I've come to realize later, that I have none of that anymore. Its just hard to push oneself if they find little reason to do it. I dunno when it happened or why, but I'm just burned out by all of it.

It does depend on the degree, too. Job prospects are much better in some fields than others. Computer stuff, obviously, does well regardless of other factors.

I know our program was divided around 2009 or earlier. There was basically an programming side and an art side. So basically the game art program was separated as Game Art Design and Video Game Programming. And seeing how they scrapped the scripting classes of our program and placed it with VGP now, plus the fact that many of us, myself included, kinda lament scripting and programming, we went to the GAD side, which consists of 3d modeling and texturing.

It doesn't help that a lot of universities have crappy game design programs that don't actually teach you much and are just there to try and bring in some money by catching the wave of aspiring designers.

Good point about trade learning Outrider, I actually went to a trade school long ago when I was in high school that had a unique program sorta. We were taught retail in quite a few forms: cashiering/ordering/stocking, the works. And they reinforced our math skills. That program helped me get a job, and it was one of the best years of my life. Unfortunately, the program was dismantled by the school after I graduated, I still have it on my resume, but I don't know if any of it holds water. My teacher had to teach English after that.

This is a very true statement. Most of the people where I live (extremely South Louisiana) don't go to college and they make more money than I will with a degree. They do much more physical work than I will, but they will make double or triple what I do. I'm talking about off shore working which is available in many states that are close to some kind of water source.

LOL, I don't even think that'll happen in my case. I rather have something more close to home. Sounds adventurous though.

Slightly off topic-

Here in Orlando, Florida, there's a school called Full Sail University, and it is an AMAZING school to go into any type of recording arts, graphic design, and well.... ANY type of artist career.

On topic- GO TO COLLEGE!
I wish to a god I do not believe in that I went when I was younger, cause I would have been graduated by now.

I have yet to start, and as I get older, I ask myself if I ever will.

Do yourself a favor, and go!

Um, I dunno if that's towards me or towards other people Pat. But I already know I'm not going back college. Not for a long time. My loan payments are making sure of it lol. If you're pressed to go to college, make sure YOU know what you want, and stick to it. Or you may end up in a similar situation.

Kion
Feb 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
I had the brilliant idea of going to school in Japan. It's crushing me financially, but it's worth enough that my parents are shouldering it. I still have to pay for my living expenses which is about 100,000 yen (roughly $1,200) a month, so I work at a restaurant as a cook 28 hours a week. Often that means I'll get off from school, go directly to work until 5 am, go home and take a shower and leave immediately for school again.

Working this hard, I don't have too much time to actually put into school, but the information is definitely getting in there. I'm studying media and I'm realizing that as I'm watching movies, I suddenly get really pissed off (the camera angles suck, the editing is terrible, who chose this music, who designed the set?) as I analyze the movie unconsciously.

As far as money goes, I finally have a break which will allow me to save up. Doing that will allow me to focus more on school and hopefully start pulling in some scholarships. Which will intern allow me to focus on school.

As far as school goes, it's mostly an introduction. The school will introduce topics to yo, but it's up to you to practice. Also you're teachers will generally have contacts in the business, so you can get introduced to a job.

As far as your situation, dropping out sounds like a good idea. It looks like they just don't care. From a community college you can generally transfer. I would probably focus on getting your ass out of debt while taking classes at a community center. As far as design, it's pretty competitive, you might try to study business or a language to give you the edge. Certification is the second best thing to a college degree.
Also Maya has a three year free student license. You should definitely get that before you drop out. The great part about teh internets, is you don't need to crowd to a studio to be a designer. In school I kind of started my own independent development studio and we're in the process of making our own game to sell on the mac store, intel appup, and the chrome webstore. If you make a quality game; people will download it.

Tyreek
Feb 11, 2011, 09:38 PM
Well, as an update to the current situation, I applied at the following:

Aeropostale
Best Buy
Borders
Gamestop
Guess

Dealing with school. My department chair has only advised me one class. As I thought, it was only my portfolio class. It seems moot point right now to be having hopes for it as I am getting the eff out. I haven't replied to him as of yet, but I'm gonna place some more work into my portfolio before coming in to talk, as he has critiqued it before. I'm gonna make it known though, that I'm not doing anymore registering for classes. There's nothing left for me.

FluffyFox
Mar 2, 2011, 05:24 AM
Based on what you said sounds like you were attending an Art Institute.

Tyreek
Mar 2, 2011, 05:44 AM
That is exactly correct. I'm surprised you knew just from what I said.

FluffyFox
Mar 2, 2011, 07:36 AM
That is exactly correct. I'm surprised you knew just from what I said.

Haha, well, let's just say.... been there, done that.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that AI is one of the most money-hungry and uncaring schools in the world. I feel bad for anyone who has gone, or thinks it's a good idea to go.

Not only is it insanely expensive, but myself and many others I have talked to within their programs actually feel the education is subpar as well.

Not to mention, to them it's just a giant business. From day one, they try to sell themselves to you. They talk about how happy everyone is, how nice their campus is, how good their programs are, how their graduates, on average, find work within x amount of time from graduation. All of the data that is presented to you is only fragmented truths; Everything is very carefully worded, and they try to be as vague as possible. Whenever the question of money or funding is brought up they shrug it off, saying that someone will be able to help you with it.

Oh that's another thing, their financial people are pretty pushy. All they want is the buck, so they try any means to get you to keep a full schedule, and pay everything, so be prepared to take out tons of loans to cover everything, with their high prices, government loans usually won't cut it.

I'm going to stop myself right now, I'm getting myself worked up, and this list could go on forever...

Cheers.

Tyreek
Mar 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
Actually, I agree with you with those financial people. I for the life of me have not dealt with incompetence from such people. And more importantly, dealing with the people in the registrar. One freaking guy there was ass enough to not give me independent classes, after what... 4-5 independent studies? And he now has the gall to ask me what class I want to replace it with? If it was such an issue, why did you let me take these classes? I'll never understand these guy's positions, and I won't care to find out in the future. I had a roommate last semester who was kicked out of housing because he had no more more classes to take in his major and wasn't registered. Basically the same boat as me, and he worked relentlessly on his portfolio. He failed each and every single attempt. He's not bad of an artist, but good lord, it sucked so bad for him.

Wayu
Mar 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
I like the idea of college.

Primarily because I'm in HS right now and I really want to get away from my Asian parents somehow.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Mar 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
After attending college for 3 years, all I can say is this. If you have no motivation, no desire whatsoever in what it is you are pursuing, or if you don't even know what you are pursuing, then stop wasting money and time and get out of there. Instead of spending money on classes that you don't know what they'll be for, go out and live a bit in the 'real' world, all while thinking of what it is that will motivate you. Sure many will say the desire to make money is the best motivator, but it' s not.

Kaziel
Mar 2, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'll tell you this much.

Experience, experience, connections and stage presence. From what I've experienced in the work environment is that people straight out of college have no idea what they're doing generally. I don't have a problem with it, because I love helping people get up and get comfortable here at our company. My boss does not, which is understandable. The less work we need to do to get people accustomed to work environments, the better.

However, I work in a heavy computer-using and programming environment, so I'm not sure about you (it sounds like you're going into art?)

My whole family is successful, and only about 25% of them went to full-blown college. I'm not gonna lie that Arts College is somewhat of a... moneysink, but if you've come this far, I would try to finish. I don't see it being incredibly helpful, but if there's one thing I wish I did, was that I had completed college. It's somewhat of a life-accomplishment. Maybe you could put it on hold and come back to it, but I don't know.

I'm sorry you spent so much on college to not graduate, but there are ways to get a job without college. What helps me most in the business world is: experience, experience, experience and connections. I started working on computers when I was beyond little. I built up connections, which allowed me to do things that other people couldn't (early job shadows, hands-on experience that I could put on my resume) and eventually I had something noteworthy. I got my first office job at 18. My own cubicle, phone, computer, the whole deal. Stage presence also helps, especially in art (I'm guessing). If you're joe-schmoe, no one will care, you have to build yourself up a bit. Don't lie, but glorify yourself, then work hard hard hard. I'll tell you this much that I got lucky, getting an office job at 18, but build up as much of a snowball as you can, and you'll keep rolling. Try networking. LinkedIn is a BIG help, I'm already getting people looking @ my resume and work history, and I'm just starting out. Utilize your resources. My parents (which I'm following in their footsteps, cliche, yes but) for example, my stepmom never attended college, she purely has experience as a Program Manager (and many other positions), she recently left a high position in Amazon and they are constantly asking for her back. Still. You can still be amazing without a college education.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm any better than you, I'm definitely not. I'm just fucking lucky. I'm just trying to give you advice with what little experience I have. Too many people I see go to college and waste all their money to realize it's only going to help them a very very small amount. I would be one of those people, but I realized this early on.

Most of all, do what you want. Do whatever it takes to get that job that you want. It really helps. As it was said earlier, money isn't a good enough motivator. I would rather make just enough to pay the bills and enjoy spending 8 hours of my life every day enjoying my work than making loads of cash and wasting my life. But that's just me.

I'm sorry about your situation, hope this wall of text helps.

Tyreek
Mar 10, 2011, 12:11 AM
Rant time again! And my stomach feels sick as I write this too.

So, after dealing filling out paperwork, and the dread of reading through withdrawal forms and obligated loan payments and consequences for failure to pay, I thought I'd be okay waiting until the coming weeks as I prepare my portfolio for final review. Wrong. I've been pestered with hold sheets about my urgent payment for days, made aware of my $600 payment along with the $4000 I owe the school, and that doesn't count towards my other loans. But I was keeping my cool about it all, because eventually I would get out and find an actual job after I was done with this ridiculous school.

But this... LOL. This fucking took the cake. I came home, feeling sickly after having little to eat(credit card maxed out). I unpack my stuff only to be followed by my roommate who decided to tell me that an RA from housing came by today looking for me around 6. I was in class at that time. But apparently, I have papers to sign. Not only that, I hear that I have to... Wait for it... "Move out of housing... Friday".

... Friday.

Friday

So... Not only are you trying to pester me about your money dear Art Institute... You're kicking me out? Before my lease is up? And you realize that I could be fined that precious little penny I tried so hard to avoid? And you're kicking me out? Even though I have a final portfolio review within the next week, and a project the week after? Really???

FUCK YOU!!!

Fuck you for thinking I was ever at a good school. Fuck you for thinking I had a flipping chance to be good. Fuck you for taking my mother's hard earned money on your sub-par, faculty deficient, and retarded financial institute. Fuck you for thinking I could accomplish something here. Fuck you for sending your Sean Schemmel look-alike to my fucking high school spewing how we could make something of ourselves and earn a college degree. Fuck you for trying to destroy my last chance of trying to do something responsible and try to pass my fucking portfolio review one more time before the end of this chapter closes. Fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU!!!!

I lost so much patience for this school. So much. I wasted much precious sleep for days to get my portfolio ready for the next week. I stressed enough. But now you wanna turn that into an even bigger waste of my time Art Institute. You may as well imprint a big fat FAIL on your ass. 6 years of my life spent on complete bullshit and mismanagement of time. Time I will never get back.

Mod my post. Do whatever. I do not fucking care tonight.

... Where the hell is my Smirnoff?!

BIG OLAF
Mar 10, 2011, 12:28 AM
Uh, what is the name of this fine institution? So anyone else interested in an Art Institute may avoid it?

Tyreek
Mar 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
The Art Institute simply. Its branched in different states. But namely, I'm at The Art Institute of Washington. Let it be known...

FOkyasuta
Mar 10, 2011, 12:37 AM
Silly washington. I knew colleges were ****ed up just like the goverment that resides there.

Kion
Mar 10, 2011, 06:12 AM
So what's your plan until you can pull out?

Tyreek
Mar 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
What plan? I was completely blindsided by this bs. I'm too busy trying to attempt something I could at least consider a personal accomplishment at this blasted college. My mom was infuriated about this entire thing. I wanna see this RA about this issue. And I want to know what paperwork I'm "supposed" to sign here. 2 weeks. This semester is over in 2 weeks and they want to ruin what time I have left. Ridiculous. What was my plan you ask? Get out and get a fucking job. But that's only when I finally packed up and got the eff out.

Kaziel
Mar 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Silly washington. I knew colleges were ****ed up just like the goverment that resides there.

qft...sob. ;_;

I ACCIDENTALLY SPENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
- WA Gov't

Randomness
Mar 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
You're behind on tuition... and they kick you out. Is that what you're saying?

Tyreek
Mar 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
Okay peoples. I jumped the gun last night. The RAs had came by again recently, unknowingly to my weed dealing roommates. *shakes head* Anyway, she went over this paperwork for me and it turns out it was a cancellation form for me leaving housing. I needed to have that signed OTHERWISE I would have had to move out by Friday. Sigh... I wish my roommate would have worded it a little better to not make me so upset that night.

You're behind on tuition... and they kick you out. Is that what you're saying?

I know what you're getting at Randomness. And in such a case, yes they would have their discretion to kick me out, that much would be a fact. However, this issue has been looming since the beginning of the quarter, and them suddenly removing me 2 weeks before the quarter is ending would be a bit of a bitch move. Especially when I already was filling out paperwork that confirms I'm leaving at the end of the quarter. There is two instances where they have full authority to kick you out of housing immediately, and that's if you drop all of your classes or don't sign up for next quarter. You do not stay in housing and not go to school, I understand that much being common sense. My old roommate did that and it was by far the stupidest thing he did. Not only did they want him out immediately, he broke his lease by dropping all classes. He had to pay 5k back for doing that. I learned pretty quickly from that experience.

In any case, crisis averted. I can continue with my original plan and finish all my crap and leave. Which is perfect timing now, as I just finished fixing up my portfolio pieces.

Tyreek
Mar 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
Rant time number three! And I swear I will be getting gray hairs for this.

So I got an email from accounting regarding my late payments. Known this was coming already, seeing as I've been counting the amount they kept billing. I'm aware I owe 4k to the school. That much I've taken into account. I know that 600 bucks that accumulated in 3 months goes towards that. And it needs to be paid. I get that, I'll get a job and pay your annoying money... Once I leave.

... So now you email me saying that if I leave school. I owe that 4k in "full".

I'm trying so calmly to understand this... I can't defer this payment. I'm technically am already on a payment plan, and you once again not giving me much help dear Art Institute.

My mom is of little help either, but why even consider her help? She has her own debts. She basically went "don't bother, worry about it when you get a job."

I have absolutely nothing to go on. No support, no job. All I got is frustration and some very pent up anger. It was this prime bullshit that lead me to the decision to leave in the first place. But now they are intent on fucking up my life until they get their pretty pennies. That money will probably go to the collection agency for continuing to go unpaid, and they'll probably garnish the hell out of any wages I have until they have what they want. I want to avoid that so badly, but once again this school shows their ineptitude in a good financial staff. Fuck you Art Institute. You're paving a way in trying to make my future very dark.

This is like a bottomless pothole I fell into. If I didn't have my mom as my last legging in the forsaken adulthood of mine, I'd probably be homeless and dead by now. I actually regret college fully now. Before then, I could actually support myself, but now all I'm doing day by day is running up a fucking credit card to eat off of until someone puts a hand out for a job. -_-;

BIG OLAF
Mar 21, 2011, 10:23 PM
Damn. If I was a real asshole, I'd tell you to just hang yourself now and end it all. But, I'm not a real asshole.

This is a bad situation that a lot of people find themselves in (not necessarily exactly like yours, but similar). Owing a metric fuckton of money to some sort of company or institution. Sadly, it's a debt you'll most likely have to be paying back for a good 30 years of your life (unless they really rape your wages).

I recently lost my house, an had to move in with my dad, in his cramped little spare room. All I have left to my name is a few articles of clothing, my Xbox, my laptop, my TV, and my bed. I have to rebuild from the ground up. But, first thing's first for both of us: we both need to find some work.

If you can move in with a family member or a friend for the time being, and leech off of them for just a little while, get a job somewhere (anywhere is better than nowhere right now! If you have to flip burgers at McDonald's, then so be it!) and start to get some funds going, you'll feel a lot better about everything.

Tetsaru
Mar 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
College was probably the biggest waste of time and money I've ever spent in my life, although my main problem was that I simply didn't know what to major in. I don't see how people end up making MORE money in their lifetime when tuition and other charges are high enough to put people in debt these days, especially when you're forced to take gen-ed classes that you probably already took in high school, or have to pay for books that you don't even read or do homework from, only to find out later when you sell them back that they aren't worth squat anymore. When I was taking beginner-level graphic design classes, one of my teachers required us to subscribe to a magazine so we could "keep up with current trends." REALLY!?

Other than that, some of my teachers were just assholes in general, or demanded to much from you, even at the beginning levels. Many of my art teachers tended to base their grades on whether or not THEY liked our art, rather than the time, effort, and overall goal you were supposed to accomplish. They seemed to have favorites sometimes, almost to a clique level.

When I was taking computer programming my first year in college, the lecture classes were fine... but when we had to go into lab classes, it was like we weren't even on the same level. I remember at least half of the class not knowing what the fuck to do for their assignment simply because it contained certain lines of code that we had never even learned about before, and on top of that, we only had one teacher in the room to help people, and every other week when we had the class, it was usually someone different. I remember we had this one Middle Eastern woman who apparently could speak English fluently at 90 MPH, but had such a strong accent that most of us Southern redneck folk couldn't understand what the fuck she was saying.

And then there was the year I decided to be a music major... for the love of God, NEVER be a music major, especially if you go to Arkansas State University as a percussionist. My percussion teacher was a smart guy and everything, but I'll be damned if he wasn't the most anal, nitpicky, uncool people to be around. Ironically, my composition teacher was one of the coolest teachers I had ever met... Regardless though, I was expected to do so much as a music major that I literally had no free time to myself. Among the things I had to do on a daily basis:

- practice weekly lesson assignments on several different percussion instruments for SEVERAL HOURS everyday
- practice piano class assignments on top of that
- rehearsals for marching band, drumline, percussion ensemble, orchestra, and whatever concert band ensemble I was in depending on the semester
- random concerts and recitals I had to attend and sit through for credit, which was required for a total of 6 semesters iirc (also keep in mind, I don't have a car or a driver's license; I had to WALK to wherever these were taking place unless I could bum a ride)
- perform at my own concerts, recitals, or ballgames (these did NOT count towards recital credit)
- write music for my composition lessons
- attend all my other classes and do whatever assignments were involved with them
- set aside time for things such as doing laundry, where to eat, etc. (again, having to walk to all these places)

And despite being valedictorian of my high school class, I ended up losing two big scholarships during my time at college, mostly due to not getting enough sleep, either from roommates/random people keeping me up (I want to shoot the people involved with randomly pulling the fire alarms in the middle of the night), simply just having too much to do, or being too depressed overall to want to do anything.

Probably the only things that I really valued when I went to college were the friends I made with people I met in the Anime/Sci-Fi and Gaming clubs, which I was surprised to know even existed. That, and meeting my composition teacher - one of the nicest and coolest people I ever met.

I may be unemployed and living with my folks still, but for the most part, I'm much happier. It'd be nice if I could start earning some money soon, though... living in a small rural area, there's just not much around here. Oh well.

[spoiler-box]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/tetsaru/1299707583800.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Kion
Mar 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
I was bitching about one of my professors online to my dad and he gave me the best advice about school I've ever gotten. My teacher Obuchi"sensei" is literally a dumb ass. He's actually pretty smart and a cool guy, but his class for "risk management" ended up being about why we shouldn't smoke. And for "logical writing" the only thing we ever did was write a two paragraph essay and spent the entire semester each person giving a presentation that we could have finished in two class periods if he weren't such an ass. Pretty much all of his classes are like that; shit that 2nd graders wouldn't waste their time with.

So as I'm bitching and explaining this; "if I'm paying for school, I'd expect them to teach me something". And my dad counters with, "WRONG! College is all about learning how to learn on your own no matter who tries to get in your way and that includes your teacher." So graduation from college is just my super-ego pass for interviews down the line. Right now I'm teaching myself game design and javascript when ever I catch a free moment and I'm having a lot of fun doing so.

washuguy
Apr 1, 2011, 10:54 PM
School BLOWS!!! There's no point going if you ask me... A lot of college graduates spent 4-8 years in the asylum they call college only to get out not being able to find a job, and you're already in debt? No thanks, i'd rather not. And looking at the condition and present state of the world doesn't exactly help persuade me to go either, so... No thanks.

MESeele
Apr 18, 2011, 04:58 AM

Very true. Within the art field in general, concept art for games (really any medium though) is widely known as the quintessential desirable. Hell, Bill Mathews came to our school just before I graduated to check out our animation. He came across a friend of mine who is extremely talented in illustration (not so much animation though 9.9) who mentioned he wanted to go that route. Bill broke him on the spot - mentioning that he was already too old and not well known enough. You have to get in early and make your mark quickly. Artists are a dime a dozen in that field. Hell, look at EA - truly a revolving door have ever I've seen one. And among studios, not many have that place on their choice list either.

AI though. Damn. Super expensive with 20-30+ classroom sizes. No chance for 1-1 teacher-student help. I've heard horror stories about that place, and know a fair number in your general situation. It tends to focus on technology over the practical knowledge that sticks with you. People who've graduated only to see that the technology they've spent a lot of time and money learning is no longer the norm is surprisingly common. Here in vancouver, it's a common joke among artists that the only perk of that place is that it gets student discounts on transit fare for their attendants :P.

Ah, I suppose that isn't making things any better ^^;. Of course, the above is only about their animation programs (specifically classical), given that's the group I associate most with. What program do you happen to be taking Tyreek??

Wayu
Apr 18, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hm...kinda off topic but not really but...

Should I apply to a US college or take the Tokyo University/Keio/Kyoto exam?

Or do both?

-Wayu

MESeele
Apr 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
Haha. Both if you can manage it (and afford it). No sense in limiting your options. You have a specific area you're interested in yet? Advice / opinions are a lot easier to give if we know what field you're looking at :D . Again, I have animation in the back of my mind, and I know Japan does not have very strong programs for that area... surprisingly enough. Tbh, I'm really only useful regarding that stuff lol. Any other field and my opinions are pretty much baseless.