PDA

View Full Version : A thought....

ChronoTrigga
Feb 9, 2011, 03:30 AM
What if the game isn't released in America due to PSOBB and PSU failure stateside? :(

Wayu
Feb 9, 2011, 04:22 AM
People would rage. Infinitely rage.

-Wayu

Mike
Feb 9, 2011, 04:47 AM
People would rage. Infinitely rage.
Rage and whine and complain that Sega is too racist to release the game outside of Japan. And since this is a Phantasy Star community, we'd never hear the end of it. I don't know if many would actually care outside the community though.

Aerilas
Feb 9, 2011, 05:03 AM
Why would you post this to upset people ...

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2011, 05:06 AM
^
I would say this part of the forums hasn't gone THAT psycho yet... But then I'd be lying, with all the PSO vs PSNEW debate.

and @ thread topic I'll just re-quote myself.

I don't think we can worry about being screwed over, If we got psp1.

PSP, that handheld nobody cared about untill square-enix started throwing stuff on it. Then PSU that unpopular game in america that only 1 out of 300 gamers probably know about. Then I'm sure we'll get PSO2...

RenzokukenZ
Feb 9, 2011, 05:23 AM
"In 2012, SoA has become bankrupt, leaving only SoJ and thus refusing to port any of their titles overseas."

Sounds about right.

Mike
Feb 9, 2011, 05:35 AM
@ thread topic I'll just re-quote myself.
You don't really seem to have a grasp on the PSP system but that's not important. It 100% certain that PSO2 will get an English language release. Monster Hunter, which has been fairly succesful outside of Japan, still lacks an English language release of the PC/360 mo version, Frontier despite selling decent copies on the various consoles. The release of one of the games in a series on a certain platform does nothing to confirm or deny the release of a new version of game on a different platform.

However, no matter how neutered the game is compared to it's original Japanese release, all the recent Phantasy Star games have gotten an English release and that's a nice track record. There's just nothing certain yet.

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2011, 07:27 AM
You don't really seem to have a grasp on the PSP system but that's not important. It 100% certain that PSO2 will get an English language release. Monster Hunter, which has been fairly succesful outside of Japan, still lacks an English language release of the PC/360 mo version, Frontier despite selling decent copies on the various consoles. The release of one of the games in a series on a certain platform does nothing to confirm or deny the release of a new version of game on a different platform.

However, no matter how neutered the game is compared to it's original Japanese release, all the recent Phantasy Star games have gotten an English release and that's a nice track record. There's just nothing certain yet.

You're right, I'm more of a DS guy. But the way I saw it, everyone was bashing the psp, or using it as a second mp3 player until Crisis core came out. I'm not the sales statistics type especially not 2-5 years ago... But I'll be surprised if you're telling me pspo1 sold well in the US. @_@

I'm under the impressions that it's mostly sales in japan that would determine if a game got an english release anyway. So theres no reason we wouldn't get it in the US, seeing as how this game would probably be as popular as a new WoW expansion to Japanese people.*slightly exaggerates*

I'm actually curious how they'll advertise this one... psp2 had like a dozen different sponsors including that popular Cat mascot, pizzahut, and KFC @_@

RenzokukenZ
Feb 9, 2011, 07:32 AM
...Which were only advertised in Japan. US/EU saw none of it.

And if I remember right, once upon a time Phantasy Star Portable 1 was a JP exclusive.

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2011, 07:36 AM
...Which were only advertised in Japan. US/EU saw none of it.

And if I remember right, once upon a time Phantasy Star Portable 1 was a JP exclusive.

I know they were only advertised in Japan...@_@

I was just saying I was curious if PSO2 would do the same thing in general, since technically this is a bigger deal than a portable game.

ChronoTrigga
Feb 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
Unless PSO2 pulls of some major marketing and advertising...it's just going to be us at PSO-World filling the servers as usual. lol And dare I say it...those IG douches and Browmop.

Corey Blue
Feb 9, 2011, 11:39 AM
I doubt we get any type of advertising,we'll just have to spread the word.Oh and if they pull something like that,oh yeah fuck SEGAC for life then.(We might get it for PSO2 though,since it was popular back in the day.) PSU kinda stopped the PS series over here imo

adblog
Feb 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think the US version PSO2 must be released.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Feb 9, 2011, 02:13 PM
I think if there is not a global release (or at least global servers), then you'd all be crazy for playing a version other than the Japanese one.

Zyrusticae
Feb 9, 2011, 02:27 PM
I doubt we get any type of advertising
If Sega doesn't plaster websites and gaming magazines everywhere with ads on the day of release, I will eat my hat*.

Also, if PSO2 actually turns out to be good, high critical ratings will propel sales all on their own. (But of course, this is Sega - can't give them too much credit.)

*-Hat may be made of bacon.

landman
Feb 9, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have no doubts about the release of the game in the western market, the question is if we will get the same treatment, not necessarily the same server if nihonjin don't like playing with gaijin, BUT the same client and updates is a must to treat us right.

And laugh all you want about the xbox and xbox360 servers, PSOX was the last standing official PSO server on the west, and 360 PSU server is still kicking ass, with very slow updates, but it is still full of players paying every month religiously, if it is updated slowly it is the developers fault, not the system.

Akaimizu
Feb 9, 2011, 03:11 PM
True. It's always been an unusual aspect of what the West gets. This was the case even since PSO Dreamcast. The Japanese servers get all these new download missions. The US got....."Letters from Lionel".

BIG OLAF
Feb 9, 2011, 03:12 PM
If Sega doesn't plaster websites and gaming magazines everywhere with ads on the day of release, I will eat my hat*.

Depends on whether or not you're talking about Japanese websites and gaming magazines, or American/European ones. If you're talking about the latter, then...

*hands salt and pepper shakers*

You'll probably be needing these.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
I thought BB was the last server to go down.

Dongra
Feb 9, 2011, 03:28 PM
I think Xbox might have actually lasted a little bit longer, but that was because of a delay not because it was more successful.

landman
Feb 9, 2011, 03:33 PM
That was because microsoft wouldn't allow for a game on their system to become useless, but PSOBB was as dead as the xbox server. PSOBB ENG was the last one updated, but PSOX clossed the doors months after the release of PSU, and don't remember if it was the first year or the second one.