PDA

View Full Version : Mac Boot Camp

Wayu
Feb 23, 2011, 04:20 AM
So.

A friend lent me a copy of Fallout: New Vegas for the PC. The problem is, I don't use my PC, and it would be weird if I suddenly began using it. That being said, my school as restricted BootCamp, the program that allows Macs to run both Windows and OS X, and thus I cannot install my legit copy of Windows to run New Vegas.

Help?

-Wayu

Gunslinger-08
Feb 23, 2011, 04:39 AM
Wait, what? The school has restricted BootCamp? Is the Mac not yours?

Wayu
Feb 23, 2011, 05:12 AM
It's mine, but it's technically a 'school computer' because they dumped all this school software onto it, including restriction and monitoring programs.

I deleted the monitoring programs, but not sure how to get rid of the BootCamp restriction.

-Wayu

Volcompat321
Feb 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Do you go to a software design school or something?

(Or any type of design like that, I should say)....

Either way, I think it would be easier to back-up the files you wanted to keep, like music, pictures, and the stuff for school, obviously, then re-install Leopard/Snow Leopard.

That way, you control the restrictions.

If you simply call Apple and tell them your disc isn't working, they will send you a new one.
(Unless you have your Snow/Leopard disc)...

I called them and said I bought a copy at Best Buy, but it wasn't working. Not very honest, but I DID try a Snow Leopard disc before calling.
They just sent me a new one, and it worked.

Tell the school your computer crashed, and they should re-install the programs needed.
Before you let them, make a partition for Windows BEFORE you give it to them to do so.
Then you should be able to keep the Windows partition on there.

Kaziel
Feb 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
It's mine, but it's technically a 'school computer' because they dumped all this school software onto it, including restriction and monitoring programs.

I deleted the monitoring programs, but not sure how to get rid of the BootCamp restriction.

-Wayu

The best road would be to contact the school's IT/dev department (if you have one) and request removal of the school's public programs on your personal computer.

A lot of times with school security programs, they make changes to it. I remember our school had a custom security program specific to the school itself. It was a pain to deal with, because no one was familiar with it except the development group in the staff building.

If they're too hard to find, I would suggest backing up your files and initiating a recovery to a point before the programs were installed, or re-install the OSX (or just M$ windows).

Firocket1690
Feb 26, 2011, 02:00 AM
Well, it really depends how far the school's security limits your use of the computer.

Are you allowed to access Disk Utility? Once you split your main HDD into two partitions, the rest is simple; OSX doesn't touch the other partitions.

Are you allowed to install new software onto your laptop? VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/) allows you to run a virtual machine, so you can probably install Windows somewhere within OSX (Or install Windows within Windows o_O)

If all else fails, take a screwdriver, open the lid and buy yourself a new hard drive. Install your own operating system(s), and do whatever.

Split
Feb 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
You're in Shanghai, right? Just stay wary of the thought police if you're trying to do this...

Wayu
Feb 26, 2011, 09:21 PM
The school installs this BootCamp restriction into every new Mac for the students. Can't go to them for help.

As for the HD thing, maybe. I'll need to find a reliable place to buy one, though, seeing as how it's China.

-Wayu