PDA

View Full Version : Cd or download?(pc)

I am Tsuki
Feb 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
Alienware has no disc drive :/ so can you prob download it jw

Ffuzzy-Logik
Feb 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
We have no idea at this point. However, I will be very surprised if the client is not downloadable in some fashion.

Wayu
Feb 28, 2011, 11:33 PM
My bet's that the CD will come out first, with the client popping up on PSN sometime later.

-Wayu

Mike
Feb 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
My bet's that the CD will come out first, with the client popping up on PSN sometime later.
This is provided PSO2 comes out on the Playstation.

Zyrusticae
Mar 1, 2011, 12:13 AM
CD? It's not 1998 anymore, folks. DVDs are all the rage nowadays, haven't ya hurd? :p

Anyways, it'd be interesting if they adopted Korea's policy on it and released a downloadable client first (Korea doesn't have traditional box sales like we do), but most likely they'll just go with tradition and do the DVD+box thing. Chances are fairly high you'll be able to download the client in some form if you have no other option. It's the internet age, after all!

RenzokukenZ
Mar 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
It could be CD, and will probably be mailed only to the winners of the raffle. Otherwise if they make it a public distribution (or even download) someone else can get it, hack through it and leak everything.

Mr Champloo
Mar 1, 2011, 01:02 AM
Either or i won't be mad with either choice.

NoiseHERO
Mar 1, 2011, 01:25 AM
It would probably offer both...isn't that how things are done now days?

I'd rather download it to save time, but I'm sure some people would love to just have the disc.

Also if theres a free trial, download would make that less annoying...

Mailing the CD's sounds like it would be bad for non-japanese alpha testers... How did PSU do their betas anyway? @_@

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 1, 2011, 01:30 AM
Only residents of Japan qualify for the alpha test anyway.

PSU PC betas were downloadable. I believe they had a brief PS2 beta that was distributed in Japan through certain stores, but that's unimportant.

Mike
Mar 1, 2011, 01:44 AM
PSU PC betas were downloadable. I believe they had a brief PS2 beta that was distributed in Japan through certain stores, but that's unimportant.
That's correct. They were available to to people who reserved PSU, I think. I found one second hand and I think that's what it said in the manual. The Japanese PSOBB Beta also came on a disc.

Seth Astra
Mar 1, 2011, 01:48 AM
If I get it, I will probably get a disk. My bandwidth sucks.

venn2010
Mar 1, 2011, 02:05 AM
AFAIK, Japan has a capable network laid out through out their country. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan only get DL only.

However, that's not the case outside of Japan... at least here in USA, where not all parts of country has broadband... some parts don't even have any internet... I suppose dual release would be practical in that sense.

Checkmate
Mar 1, 2011, 06:00 AM
I've seen some online games that let you download the client thru your Master Acct profile.

Then, there is also Steam.

Then there is also direct download from the main website and it's approved mirror sites including it's patches and all, i.e. Eve Online.

And then there is always the round-about way of getting them, but I am not knowledgeable if that way is considered legal or not.

Some companies will even send you a CD with a copy of the client on it... but that won't happen as SEGA will make you pay for the client so I see the first comment being more true so than the others.

Kaziel
Mar 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
@OP buy an external disk drive. Rip 'n mount! xP

I'm sure there will be a download method. Releasing it as a disk to thwart hacking is pretty silly. I would like to actually own some sort of collectors edition DVD though. :D

WiZ1988
Mar 1, 2011, 11:25 AM
Has it been confirmed that you have to be in japan for the beta? I recently joined and started paying for jp psu and I received an email with a code to enter on the jp pso2 website and I'm pretty sure I could have a chance to play on beta. When I registered for psu I put some random location in that was in japan so who knows, that might benefit me, I sure do hope. It would be so awesome to play the beta. I can't wait for this game, I really miss pso online.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
They state that the alpha is only for residents of Japan. The extent of this is likely just requiring you to give a Japanese address/phone number when filling out the form.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 1, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm really hoping it's either a disc or both, I much prefer to have a solid copy

Kaziel
Mar 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm really hoping it's either a disc or both, I much prefer to have a solid copy

I highly doubt anyone would release a game you had to pay for the client and not release a disk. I'm sure there's some game out there, but PSO2 being that "some game" is a slim chance. It's almost guaranteed there will be some sort of physical media. Shelf presence (& collector's edition?) ftw!

Kent
Mar 1, 2011, 08:47 PM
I highly doubt anyone would release a game you had to pay for the client and not release a disk. I'm sure there's some game out there, but PSO2 being that "some game" is a slim chance. It's almost guaranteed there will be some sort of physical media. Shelf presence (& collector's edition?) ftw!
Physical media as an option, yes - there are plenty of MMO and other online games where you have to purchase a copy of the software to create an account, but said software can be completely digitally-distributed.

I would say that it's likely that there will be both methods of obtaining the client software available, unless they decide to make the client itself completely free and charge monthly for membership (in which case, the purchase price of the client at a store may warrant an appropriate amount of free playtime, based on its price).

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 1, 2011, 09:54 PM
I really hope they make online a one time paying thing, like an extra 100$ after buying the game and you have online for month or something

NoiseHERO
Mar 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
If it's somehow digital only...I hope they offer a PDF of an Instructional Booklet. >3>

I like booklets...

Kaziel
Mar 2, 2011, 12:01 AM
If it's somehow digital only...I hope they offer a PDF of an Instructional Booklet. >3>

I like booklets...

It's not the same... no fresh booklet smell... ;_;

cApNhOwDy
Mar 4, 2011, 03:49 AM
Download only, save mother earth!!

edit, one last thing, Steam exclusive.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 4, 2011, 03:59 AM
It will never happen, but it would be fucking amazing if it did.

Steamworks integration, that would be a dream come true.

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2011, 05:42 AM
Didn't someone say steam worked on mac? I'm not much knowledgeable on how that service works...but I don't see it as a bad thing...

Not to mention it avoids putting some responsibility on SEGA's hands... and you know how responsible SEGA is when it comes to US.

Tetsaru
Mar 4, 2011, 07:47 AM
Personally, I'd rather have a disc copy over a digital copy.

oifjustus
Mar 4, 2011, 11:12 PM
You bought the baby alienware with no DVD Drive? Im sure it has usb ports. Worst comes to worse buy an external DVD drive..

I am Tsuki
Mar 5, 2011, 12:43 AM
Do they work just as good as a regular one?

Seth Astra
Mar 5, 2011, 12:53 AM
I really hope they make online a one time paying thing, like an extra 100$ after buying the game and you have online for month or something
I assume this is a typo. 100$ a month would be too much unless they:

Practically double the content monthly
Completely prevent hacking
Make PSO2 so mind blowingly good that it's worth it.

Download only, save mother earth!!

edit, one last thing, Steam exclusive.
Dear god, the first'd most likely kill PSO2 for me, and it's already nearly dead. The second would throw its corpse through a woodchipper. I lack the bandwith, as I said earlier. And making it steam only would really suck for everyone who doesn't have steam.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 5, 2011, 01:03 AM
Considering Steam is completely free and easy to download and join, I don't really see that as an issue.

Also no game would be worth $100 a month.

Seth Astra
Mar 5, 2011, 01:09 AM
I kinda have reasons I can't get steam. Personal stuff.

And the 100$ a month thing was a joke, obviously. No matter how low your oppinion of Sega's competance is, nobody could expect them to be that stupid.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 5, 2011, 01:17 AM
Well, regardless, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. While Steam is goddamn amazing in pretty much every way and seeing PSO2 use Steamworks integration would be fantastic, it isn't going to happen.

Nir
Mar 5, 2011, 02:11 PM
CD? It's not 1998 anymore, folks. DVDs are all the rage nowadays, haven't ya hurd? :p

Anyways, it'd be interesting if they adopted Korea's policy on it and released a downloadable client first (Korea doesn't have traditional box sales like we do), but most likely they'll just go with tradition and do the DVD+box thing. Chances are fairly high you'll be able to download the client in some form if you have no other option. It's the internet age, after all!

First Windows PSO is coming only als CD Version http://www.psopc.net/pc/pso/Bilder/psop.cd1.jpg

The time is over for CD : /

NoiseHERO
Mar 5, 2011, 04:58 PM
^

OMG... It runs on Windows ME

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 6, 2011, 10:41 PM
what is windows me?

I am Tsuki
Mar 6, 2011, 11:03 PM
what is windows me?

Windows millenium edition they stopped supporting it in like 2006