PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 on MacOS?

Johno_UK
Mar 2, 2011, 12:42 PM
Will PSO2 be released on MacOS as well as Windows?

NoiseHERO
Mar 2, 2011, 12:58 PM
I'm not a huge computer guy but...

I'm pretty sure you don't want to put time into looking forward to pc games with a Mac.

Windows however is a given and technically confirmed by the PSO2 Alpha System requirement thread.

Johno_UK
Mar 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
I work in IT and Macs are fantastic machines. I was a huge PC advocate up until last year too. You can dual-boot macs easily, and my mac runs World of Warcraft far better on MacOS than Windows. Windows uses significantly more system resources.

Similarly in Windows my MacBook Pro has 3hrs battery life, but when it's in MacOS it has 8-9hrs battery. Macs are more efficient. But anyway, I don't want to get into the whole PC vs Mac debate... I just wanted to know if there had been any talk of PSO2 on MacOS.

NoiseHERO
Mar 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
Well like I said I'm no pc guy so you won't have to worry about a debate with me. Jus' saying... mac + games usually equals "lolwut" and dual booting...isn't that just the same thing as using the OS that'd make playing the game possible? @_@

I'd still doubt them adding on more OS's or at least not right away...

Johno_UK
Mar 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
Yeh Michaeru, I could boot into Windows if it doesn't run natively on MacOS. However, I find games (WoW for example) run better on macOS. I get a higher FPS and lower system temperature in macOS. I didn't buy my mac for gaming, but the games I have run on it have worked superbly.

Kaziel
Mar 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
Will PSO2 be released on MacOS as well as Windows?

Don't plan on MacOS support. However, as mentioned, you can dual boot into Windows if you have a copy of windows. It will run on the Mac HARDWARE, not the Mac SOFTWARE. Though, if you don't have a copy of Windows, I recall MacOS having a program called "BootCamp" which will emulate windows. I'm not sure how well it will emulate, but it is an option.

Akaimizu
Mar 2, 2011, 03:34 PM
There is no emulation with Bootcamp. When you use that and load Windows, you basically turn your Mac into a 100% Windows Machine. The only time you would be doing any kind of emulation is if you use Virtualization software like Fusion or Parallels. However, those are made to run both Windows and Mac OS on the same machine at the same time. You'd expect some performance degrades with that option, of course. Those are made more for productivity than gaming.

However, most of the time, Direct X libraries run the games faster than the OpenGL libraries used in Mac games. However, the operating system itself tends to be better on battery life. Windows 7 has greatly lowered the battery life difference between the two, however. They designed a lot better resource handling in Win 7 than the versions of it before.

So unless the game has low hardware requirements, you'll likely see a bit of a performance boost running it in Windows over OSX, if you don't mind a little more power draw. Nothing really about the operating system, but more on DirectX's better game-savvy implementation vs. OpenGL. Though folks like Blizzard are very good at keeping their OpenGL performance very close to DirectX.

Kaziel
Mar 2, 2011, 04:50 PM
There is no emulation with Bootcamp.

Ah, okay. I've never had hands-on experience with Mac OSX yet, so that's good to know. I'm surprised M$ would allow that. So is Bootcamp essentially a VM?

Also yes, in that case then (and I'm sure this was apparent from the start) running the OS only (i.e. - boot to Win7 OS) on your Mac Machine would provide the best performance.

Akaimizu
Mar 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
M$ would of course allow that. To deny Apple from doing that would be to make their operating system *only* playable on specific PC builds and not other PC builds. They only care about as many machines running their operating system as possible. Windows has no hardware stipulation since Microsoft does not make computers. The only reason MacOSX is just legally on Apple's machines is because they control both the software and the hardware it runs on.

Bootcamp is actually not even a VM. It actually is a real machine. It's basically just a simple method of creating a dual boot machine, and includes the windows drivers necessary to immediately begin working with the selective hardware devices in the Mac. To a degree, it's no different than a PC that creates a dual boot machine to run Windows and Linux. As long as it is running Linux, that PC is a true bonified Linux machine. So today's Macs are basically PC-compatibles when running Windows. Just like any big PC-compatible manufacturer, they just have unique hardware configs in them.

Kaziel
Mar 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
M$ would of course allow that. To deny Apple from doing that would be to make their operating system *only* playable on specific PC builds and not other PC builds. They only care about as many machines running their operating system as possible. Windows has no hardware stipulation since Microsoft does not make computers. The only reason MacOSX is just legally on Apple's machines is because they control both the software and the hardware it runs on.

Bootcamp is actually not even a VM. It actually is a real machine. It's basically just a simple method of creating a dual boot machine, and includes the windows drivers necessary to immediately begin working with the selective hardware devices in the Mac. To a degree, it's no different than a PC that creates a dual boot machine to run Windows and Linux. As long as it is running Linux, that PC is a true bonified Linux machine. So today's Macs are basically PC-compatibles when running Windows. Just like any big PC-compatible manufacturer, they just have unique hardware configs in them.

So BootCamp runs before the MacOS boots? I guess that would make sense. I pictured it as something like the 3rd party software, Wine. And what confused me is that M$ just *loves* to make people pay for every aspect of their software, you should experience the hell of a Microsoft audit. It's really not a lot of fun. So the idea of getting a free copy of Windows feels contrary to their nature.

Anyways, thanks for the juicy info.

flintsdoorknob
Mar 3, 2011, 12:56 PM
Steam is actually on Mac OS now...Recently converted to Mac so... I'm hoping Bootcamp runs smoothly at least.

(actually I signed up to ask this question and saw it as the first post here!)

Nir
Mar 3, 2011, 06:16 PM
Bootcamp dont Support more Windows XP and Vista on new Macs...

And most German Player say this Bootcamp most time not Work to much Driver problems

http://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/Windows-Vista-und-XP-nicht-mehr-via-Bootcamp-auf-juengsten-Apple-Notebooks-1199245.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410

And dont know why Windows Install on Mac most times User say Windows is bad and now install ?

And to Steam Games the Games from Valve dont need Bootcamp : /

Akaimizu
Mar 5, 2011, 12:08 PM
Windows 7 is for those specific MacBook models. However, there's a bigger reason for the MacBook Air having support for only Windows 7 and up. It's because the previous Windows OS has no support for SSD drives. So for the sake of drive longevity, they set the standard for Windows 7. The other laptop aspect is that Windows 7 supports the new hardware the MacBook pros use. It's not so prudent to use XP on today's hardware due to driver reasons. Not to mention 7 gains a boost in resource management code giving a boost in battery life.

However, I can vouch that pretty much anything I've tried run excellent in Windows 7. Also take note that I have steam running on both sides. There's a lot of steam games that are Windows only.