PDA

View Full Version : FOmarl?

Omunall
Mar 5, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hello,

I recently sold a gamecube on ebay and got my wife and I DS systems with PS zero. She's having a pretty easy time choosing her class, but for me, it's been a bit more difficult.

I'm sort of leaning toward a FOmarl to start with, as i'll make different classes later down the line. How does the FOmarl handle melee later in the game? How is her magic? (Not compared to X force, but in general useability)

Thanks! She looks like she would be awesome for slicers and daggers.

Chaos Rappy
Mar 5, 2011, 05:51 PM
Melee... ha. Forces can't really melee at all, as far as late-game is concerned, but they can handle it better than the other FO's, being FOmarls' highest ATA of FO's. They're better suited to Slicers for any kind of melee combat, once you can find decent-ATA ones or ones with ACC ADJ, but overall, melee just isn't a FO's thing.

As for magic, they're pretty good. Highest overall PP and good MST, with boosts to Grants and Resta effectiveness. I would recommend not relying on the Grants, though, as :light: and :dark: techs don't do so well outside of the final dungeon.

Shade_Koopa
Mar 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
Agreeing with Chaosmaster00, FOmarl is a character designed for healing, as stated in the description.

Omunall
Mar 5, 2011, 07:08 PM
Okay sounds good.

What class would be best to run decent melee/ranged with somewhat strong magic? I'm way to used to PSO classes, and while this game plays pretty close, it's not like PSO at all. (FOmar and FOmarl could melee end game pretty okay, but hearing that none of them can run melee well now, as well as the weapon choices per class, sort of throws me off.)

Broken_L_button
Mar 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Lolwhat? Forces can't melee in late-game on PSZ? Lies and slander I say.

With a decent pair of Foie haze (only level 4 element is needed), and 80 power materials, FOney can deal 200-300 with heavy attacks and not miss (if Shifta, Jellen and Zalure is casted) in SH. Not too mention they can still dish out huge damage with techs. FOmarl and FOmar don't have access to the higher tier daggers and double sabers (gigas romulus) so they can't be on par with FOney/FOnewm for melee damage, despite the higher ATP.

If you want to do melee and still have techs, well, here are the options you should consider:

FOney/FOnewm with your best pair of level 4 Celeb daggers/Gigas Romulus w/ ACC adj. and a good magic stick (for end-game, White distaster+Spirit garb/Psycho wand are the best options). These two are solely for tech/melee, don't bother with ranged, it sucks too much. You'll already do obscene damage with techs while, if you ever decide to melee (with a 100 power MAG and your celeb weapon equipped and Zalure, Jellen, shifta shifta casted), you'll keep doing obscene damage while not getting hit thanks to the FOnewm/FOney evasion being JUST high enough to prevent most enemies affected by Jellen from hitting you.

HUney/HUnewm with your best rod/one of the Shurikens w/ Shinobi suit, your favorite melee weapon (HAXbite, Gigas Romulus, Ainsraiffe, etc.) and a Tachyon Gun, just in case. These two can always fall back to melee/ranged if their techs are too slow and vice versa. These are slightly harder to use efficiently compared to FOney/FOnewm since their techniques are weaker (and they require a larger equipment switch to go between melee and tech mode). To give their techs more punch, try getting a 1-4 chain before using a charged technique in parties with friends or, if you're in solo, bring Ogi to quickly get a 1 chain before using your techs.

Don't bother with RAmar/RAmarl; their ATP and MST sucks for a melee/tech hybrid and their tech weapon selection is garbage. I mean, even HUcast/HUcaseal can use the shurikens while RAmar/RAmarl can't use the shurikens or Kerykeion...

Chaos Rappy
Mar 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
I hope you realize not everyone wants to waste time casting J/Z on every wave and S/D all the time just to survive on meleeing. Hunters and Rangers are really the only ones that don't need them to do well at it, while Forces must, with their squishy low DFP's and their brittle low ATP's. I hope you do realize that I was discerning between them without the consideration of the S/D/J/Z's being cast; if that was the cases, HU's would FAR outsurpass FO's in every way anyways, if you go online with anydecent FO who uses any combination of them, which if what you're taking account is true, then most would, but then we all know the limits of the 6-palette-nutshot PSZ hands us, so pretty much no meleeing Force in their right mind would have all four on their palette at once. <_<

Broken_L_button
Mar 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
Casting both al-Jellen and al-Zalure takes around 3 seconds or less. Exactly the time it takes for enemies to actually become active after spawning. Deband is useless, I never mentioned it in my post and anti is also useless if you have a protect unit/are able to dodge most traps/carry sol atomizers. So that makes 3 support spells, and, since you'll only need 1 attack action as a melee force with these support spells (heavy attack), you got 4 slots filled and 2 more left for resta/BARREL ROLL.

And yes, I understood that you were distinguishing them on the premise that none of them would spam buffs/debuffs, but, fact is, in EVERY single online PS game, anyone who is able to use buffs/debuffs WILL use them in battle. Even a pure-tech force can (and will if they want to maximize their damage); since you're teching from afar, you only need shifta and Zalure, which leaves you 2 spaces for offensive techs, enough to take care of any area.

Omunall
Mar 5, 2011, 08:26 PM
Lol. I understand the comment of not everyone want's to cast J&Z on everything to survive...but that's what i wanted to know if i could still DO with a force.

It's awesome to know FOney can do it well though; i may have to compare the forces for that, since i love how they did the FOney in this game. (Currently running a HUcaseal for fun, but i want a force/melee like the FOmar and FOmarl was in PSO)

Omunall
Mar 5, 2011, 11:10 PM
Okay so i started a FOney today and i like her a lot. I'm still low levels and my mag hasn't really gotten too far, but i like the feeling that when using J&Z i'm not only setting up to be able to deal melee damage (which is a lot of fun with her) and helping the people i'm running with, which is a bonus.

I'm reading a lot about the different equips each character gets, like what BLB said about the romulus being restricted from the FOmar/FOmarl. Where can i find this infor to look at the characters and see the late game equips, so i can compare more easily? I'm sort of lost that the FOney will outdamage the FOmar late game with melee because of the weapons she can use.

--EDIT

NVM, been while since i was last on this site, didn't see the dropdown bars and such

Broken_L_button
Mar 5, 2011, 11:17 PM
Look at the PSZ database right here on PSO-W if you need info on the items. It's pretty much complete.

Omunall
Mar 5, 2011, 11:24 PM
Look at the PSZ database right here on PSO-W if you need info on the items. It's pretty much complete.

Yeah i just saw that haha.

Let me ask, how is the ata difference between the FOmarl and FOneweral? The 212 and the 160 something, seems like a pretty harsh difference on the ata. There are some pretty powerful late game equips in the double saber category that both the FOmarl and FOney get to use, much more powerful in atp than the giggas rom, so the FOmarl would end up beating a bit on damage over the FOney, with more ata. The tech differences and such seem minor.

But then again, the stats in PSO were always some crazy numbers (EVP in PSO had to be around 850+ to even work on a non regular basis haha). Not sure what the numbers really tell me when looking at them.

Seth Astra
Mar 5, 2011, 11:48 PM
I am pretty sure that the Gigas Romulus is the 2nd strongest Double Saber, behind Clair Doubles. But the Clair is stuck with level 2 Celeb (the most OP element), Gigas can get level 3.

Chaos Rappy
Mar 6, 2011, 12:14 AM
Note: GET. Clair has Lv2 always, but you would have to find a Gigas with Lv3 to get a Lv3 Celeb Gigas. Otherwise, best bet's on Clairs, even though Clair can have no PA sometimes, whereas Gigas always has Million Rave. It's really in the air which is truly better, but regular non-PA-wise, a good Lv3 Gigas would outdamage the Clair pretty quickly. (HUnewms CAN outdamage HUcasts using Gigas, even if the CAST is using a Morgenlote of SIMILAR design.)

Omunall
Mar 6, 2011, 12:42 AM
Note: GET. Clair has Lv2 always, but you would have to find a Gigas with Lv3 to get a Lv3 Celeb Gigas. Otherwise, best bet's on Clairs, even though Clair can have no PA sometimes, whereas Gigas always has Million Rave. It's really in the air which is truly better, but regular non-PA-wise, a good Lv3 Gigas would outdamage the Clair pretty quickly. (HUnewms CAN outdamage HUcasts using Gigas, even if the CAST is using a Morgenlote of SIMILAR design.)

Okay so pretty much it's up in the air with the gigas and the clair. I was looking at it like the FOmarl's damage wouldn't be too far behind with the clair, but even if she would be, she could still contend somewhat okay in comparison.

I'm looking for a challenge, since the game seems quite easy overall if you use the class right. So for my question, does the 50 ATA difference really mean much? The FOmarl's ata is 212 which seems minimal, but the FOneweral has something like 160 ata. Would that make much of a difference?

Also, how to HUneys contend with magic?

Broken_L_button
Mar 6, 2011, 02:23 AM
The only reason why I implied that the newmen would get higher damage with the gigas is pretty much because it's easier to find than a Clair Doubles and has a variable element up to level 3. Though, if we just look at numbers (and thus, omit practicality), Gigas w/ life element > Clair doubles in terms of damage.

FOney has 169 ATA at level 100. My FOney is at level 91, and barely misses with heavy attacks with her daggers, provided buffs/debuffs are casted. The higher ATA for FOmarl compensates for the weaker dagger selection, I guess, but, once again, with buffs/debuffs, the ATA issue becomes moot.

HUneys can be awesome or downright crap with techs; depends on how you play her. If you give her an full tech build (Kerykeion/Shuriken, mind mats, mind MAG, etc...) You can pull off 200-250 damage with your level 10 techs in SH. If that's too slow, well, if your ATA is decent, bring an NPC (I prefer Ogi in rifle mode, since he stands far and shoots fast), get the chain to 1 or more with its help and blast off with a RA tech; 400-500 damage right there to any enemy close to the blue "(insert number here) chain" text on the screen.

Omunall
Mar 6, 2011, 03:56 AM
The only reason why I implied that the newmen would get higher damage with the gigas is pretty much because it's easier to find than a Clair Doubles and has a variable element up to level 3. Though, if we just look at numbers (and thus, omit practicality), Gigas w/ life element > Clair doubles in terms of damage.

FOney has 169 ATA at level 100. My FOney is at level 91, and barely misses with heavy attacks with her daggers, provided buffs/debuffs are casted. The higher ATA for FOmarl compensates for the weaker dagger selection, I guess, but, once again, with buffs/debuffs, the ATA issue becomes moot.

HUneys can be awesome or downright crap with techs; depends on how you play her. If you give her an full tech build (Kerykeion/Shuriken, mind mats, mind MAG, etc...) You can pull off 200-250 damage with your level 10 techs in SH. If that's too slow, well, if your ATA is decent, bring an NPC (I prefer Ogi in rifle mode, since he stands far and shoots fast), get the chain to 1 or more with its help and blast off with a RA tech; 400-500 damage right there to any enemy close to the blue "(insert number here) chain" text on the screen.

Alright, fantastic! I mean both the FOmarl and FOney can use the clair from what i saw, so i suppose the newmans would get a better consistency of choices. I love the FOney from way back when, and still like her now. I'm using her for melee from the get go, and while killing slowly, i'm having loads of fun; also i can just switch to tech and still do well.

If her ATA isn't going to become an issue in SH, then i'm happy with that choice, since she would do everything i want.