PDA

View Full Version : Help with shields

Sayl
Mar 23, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I got this when it first came out but really did not get into it, after playing and being really disappointing by PSP2 I went back and gave this another shot and I am really enjoying playing with two of my friends. Right now after some research I am playing a Shield Hucast at level 35 and having some trouble now in hard mode because blocking sometimes costs more than 1 PP. It seems as if only attacks that do large amount of damage costs PP, and so the question is if i up my DFP would that possibly bring blocking back down to 1PP each? I have searched both this board and gamefaqs looking for an answer to why some attacks on hard burn through PP during blocking but cant find any straight answers. Also shield is proving to be pretty low damage even when im a hucast going full ATP mag and ATP materials, is the shield just simply un-viable outside of a few fights?

Splash
Mar 23, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,
being really disappointing by PSP2

I'm certainly surprised by this; but I guess the game can't satisfy everyone.

Anyways, Shields are only used for raising up defense capabilities; for offense, they are terrible. I'm not sure if raising your DFP would lower the amount of PP you need to use to block an attack but I would assume it does.

Chaos Rappy
Mar 23, 2011, 09:36 PM
Shields aren't exactly meant for dealing high amounts of damage. their strong points are the blocking, and their high accuracy, element level capability, high procrate on status effects, and the ability to hit multiple enemies at once (if close enough), plus their DFP bonus.

While I'm not too certain raising your DFP will help lower the PP issue, I can be almost certain that raising your PP instead could help too, but that would in turn lower your attack power, however, as a CAST, you could probably inevitably use the extra PP anyways... but that's just me.

cease_fire
Mar 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
you forgot to mention about shield having the highest element trigger..Pretty awesome burning all the mother while sit and watch them die <.<

FluffyFox
Mar 24, 2011, 07:10 AM
Ooooh, i forgot you could BLOCK with shields... Question regarding that, then, is it necessary to do rolls still with the shield equipped or is it simply better to block everything?

Omunall
Mar 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
I think blocking will drain PP, but a roll would move you out of position (some shields are awesome on a FO, but rolling would throw off your position a bit). I'd think from what i've seen of them that a block or roll depends on the situation. I've gotten sucked into the octo a few times while blocking, only to block all of the "chew" damage. A roll would have screwed me....then again it's not hard to avoid the situation to not get pulled in.

Splash
Mar 24, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evasion roll is 99% of the time unnecessary if you have a Shield on; in any situation, the Shield does everything the evasion roll can do without moving your character. The 1% of the time where it may become necessary is when you don't have the PP to block anymore.

yoshiblue
Mar 28, 2011, 03:23 PM
You could be a ranger/Force's best friend in online play. Just stand in the way of their foe and block. Beware the AoE attacks though.

leviayurashyguy
Apr 1, 2011, 02:05 AM
Raising DFP won't ameliorate your cause. If the PP issue is damage based, then the reduction from DFP will be so minuscule that you will still suffer from PP loss.

Alternatively, you can take Chaos' suggestion and raise PP or equip a PP Recovery Unit and carry more Fluids. I have doubts that you can expend 1900% of you PP by simply blocking.

If you invest in PP, you lose in ATP and damage overall. Shield's have the lowest ATP of the weapons. If you want to see higher numbers, I suggest switching to an alternate weapon. Shields have their place, but there are better options when it comes to damage.