PDA

View Full Version : Role-Play pokemon mystery dungeon/phantasy star RP idea discussion

Linka
Apr 6, 2011, 09:37 AM
ok. before i say anything else, i felt the idea would need discussion to work out some kinks before the actual thread was made, because i feel this RP idea i have falls under the 'must plan out' catagory, and not the 'roll out a first post and hope for the best' catagory. so please no renaming the title without asking me, mods.

ok. so, for those of you who don't know, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a primarily DS-based pokemon spin-off series, where the main character is essentially you, the player, as a pokemon, on a planet where humans are a TRUE rarity, and pokemon prevail as the majority. in the first generation of it, the idea focused on 'rescue teams', which went around saving other pokemon, and doing other odd jobs. the second generation took a different turn with Exploration Teams, which pretty much did the same thing, on top of being explorers, and taking on missions involving putting a stop to criminal pokemon.

my idea, is to mix the latter generation of PMD with people's main[best/favorite] character in PSO, PSU, PSPo1, PSPo2, or PSPo2i. as such, your character will be turned into a pokemon befitting them, as the setting is the PMD Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky world.

there are two rules to this for deciding what pokemon your character becomes. one, no legendaries. this is obvious. two, no evolved forms right off the bat, except ones like Pikachu who used to be considered a 'base stage'.

as going with the system with PMD, there will be multiple 'Exploration Teams', each containing a max of four members. however, teams can work together, obviously. i expect this to be mostly working on each team working separate from the others, except whenever something big happens, like a guild expedition.

oh, right. the guild. see, in PMD Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, you and your partner are part of your own Exploration Team that's training at a specific guild run by Wigglytuff and Chatot. this RP may use that same guild, unless the discussion leads to everyone agreeing against this, and resulting in another possibility.

now, this is a discussion thread, obviously, so that means there are things i am uncertain of for this. plus, it gives a chance to find people interested in this.

i will say, that this will be my first time trying such an idea[as in PMD rp in general.], and so that is part of why i wanna discuss things, so things aren't too complicated, and we can all make this work. and by 'we', i mean me and anyone who decides to join.

first thing on the list, finding a way to decide what pokemon our characters turn into. will the options be unlimited aside from what the two rules prohibit? or should we follow the games? if the game is to be followed on possibilities, we'll need to find a way to replicate its game-start quiz that determines what pokemon you become, and each person can try it with one of their PS characters' personality in mind.

second thing, which will be handled after issue 1, is the flow of things. i wanna make sure things flow and mesh well, so that it doesn't become too complex and irritating or slow, but not so simple that it ruins the experience due to not giving a real feel of the PMD world. also, we'll need to see about getting all the teams formed before the actual RP starts, cause handling that as things start could easily turn disasterous. easily.

third thing, a plot. i got nada on this. i figure we'll need something new, something that can happen after the game's events. maybe something involving one or two of the 5th gen pokemon.[did i mention no using 5th gen pokemon as your character? i'd rather wait till gen 5 has its own PMD game before trying to drag it into RP, aside from potential plot characters.]

fourth thing, i have no idea. i figure there's more, but i cant think of anything. when we get this far, i hope some of you have questions and issues that can be resolved.

in closing, i don't expect many of you to be interested. infact...i expect this to go nowhere, but i'm hopeful. hopeful that things just manage to work out, and this gets off the ground, with things going smoothly. also, the extra spacing between blocks of text was in hopes to ease the effect of all this reading. if its too much spacing, sorry.

yoshiblue
Apr 7, 2011, 07:58 PM
Char: Charmander

If its PSO chars and the like, will we be using weapons and Mags as well?

Teams could be set up in a different recruiting/signup thread. If you want i could make a signup sheet.

Plot pitch: Dark Falz comes in as usual to destroy or take over the world. Portals are open allowing creatures to flood in. Teams are sent to close/destroy portals. Then Olga flow comes in later after the world is thought to be safe.

Maybe have a priest/priestess in each team to use magic to close said portals.

Linka
Apr 7, 2011, 08:24 PM
euhh...no. trying to keep it to the PMD system more. as in...entirely using the PMD system. no photon weapons/mags/line shields/shield-weave/etc. to bring anything aside from the characters from any of the PS games into the PMD world would be one, alittle hard because if the PMD world was in a separate universe, then the laws of the PMD universe could negate the existance of the PS stuff due to sudden lack of photons.

also, i may take away PSO-originated characters...cause...well...its PSO. not really visually unique in any way from character to character. in PSO, one's type was obvious due to outfit and overall appearance. in PSU/PSPo1/PSPo2/PSPo2i, and maybe PSZ, it wasnt.

...also, i believe in my OP, i listed afew key issues i had with the idea already...and wanted to tackle those issues one at a time in order...so as to speed things up/keep everyone focused. i know, the OP was a wall of text, but if you skip parts of WoT's, ya might miss something important.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 7, 2011, 09:23 PM
character: Gligar, based of my FOnewm Rilis, so i can hit hard but have little defense and am a relaxed person. (if you take out the PSO thing then it's the same but not named Rilis)

Plot idea: The legendary dogs are all fighting eachother for territory as a basis and then eventually some plot twist happens that almost entirely changes the plot but keeps the bad blood between the legendary dogs.

yoshiblue
Apr 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
No worrys. I was just pitching ideas and seeing how flexible this was going to be. Also was a way for me to clarify thing to myself. Some people like to add thing here and there in their RP storys is all. I read the whole thing although I must admit, I only like the first PMD.

Ellemayne
Apr 8, 2011, 04:27 AM
I suppose Ellemayne would Either be Mismagius or Gardevior. Mostlikely Gardevior.

Linka
Apr 8, 2011, 07:12 AM
...*sighs*...you all have skipped the first two issues that have to be handled, and gone straight for the one that should be handled last. plot. you don't even realize the flow of the RP can drastically affect the potential plot possibilities, and you all are assuming any pokemon can be used.

so, unless we can take care of these issues in ORDER, i am CANCELLING this idea! god. i'm quite experienced with various styles of RP, and i know you...3...may be eager to get this off the ground, but unless you want that to actually happen, i suggest you CAREFULLY read the original post. it may seem alittle slower to handle the issues in a specific order, but trust me, i know what i'm doing.

if you guys don't believe me, let me explain. in order to decide the plot, we have to know the exact flow of events. certain plot types only work with certain flow types. try and match one plot type to the wrong flow type, and it ends badly. thus, before flow can be decided, what characters can be used must be decided, because whether its unlimted minus legendaries and evolved pokemon or only options given in the games themselves for starter and partner pokemon can also affect the flow type. wrong pokemon selection, wrong flow, and wrong plot cause the lowest chance of a good RP.

so, we want the best pokemon choice variety for the flow, so it all meshes with the plot, to create the BEST chance of success.

now, i get it. you all are likely used to 'free roam' RPs with no set timeline or anything, where there's no specific chain of events, since such 'rail-guided' RPs can be alittle hard to get working. but i can't see a PMD rp working any other way. so do you WANT this to work? or do you want a flop that ends before it begins?

i'd hope the first possibility, but if i see two more posts...TWO...indicating you want a flop, i'll request this thread be closed. ok? god i feel like a teacher with bad students right now.*facepalm*...like Mr. Sweenie from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.

Wayu
Apr 8, 2011, 09:47 AM
Linka, as always you are very impatient.

Try reexplaining yourself once more and try not to go ballistic whenever someone misunderstands you.

A potential idea (remember, idea =/= order) is for the system to work along the lines of PS-style RPing with Pokemon limitations. I don't really know what that means myself, but it's a start.

-Wayu

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
Here are my ideas.

Pokemon: I have two ways of dealing with this.
A)Give random elements to those who join(like PSO and the emblems)to base their pokemon choices around. This can be the pokedex body shapes or element types.
B) Make different Regions to use . People will then have to chose the pokemon in the selected regions.

Plot pitchs: My ideas to throw around.

1: Four or six pokemon get A) mutated or B)beefed up and start causing disasters.

2: Evil people come to the world(much like you have) and start causing problems such as said pokemon in idea 1.

3: War breaks loose and the guild's goal is to stop it at all costs.

4l: A new land is found and pokemon want to search it. or a portal opens that holds a new land or lands of old/legends.

4d: Greed sets in and pokemon A) fight for land or B) risks taken cause disasters to happen. Or evil/or vampiric pokemon live there and the explorer teams start to disappear.

This is all i got for now. ill think of more if you wish.

Linka
Apr 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
sorry, Wayu. i'm just abit too systematic, i guess. i wanted to handle the issues in order, so each solved issue would allow better results for the next one, due to extra information to consider.

and yoshi, well...you covered two issues with ideas. you failed to cover the flow issue, though, which could impact the effectiveness of the ideas you did suggest.

to cover your ideas, i'll break em down into groups by issue.

pokemon selection issue ideas:

1: well, i actually like that, but it feels abit limiting because when you look at each pokemon, you get a sense of what the stereotypical personality of it would be. and i want each person to be able to as accurately convert their PS character into an equivalant base-stage pokemon as possible. i'll keep that in mind incase i make any straight PMD RPs on another forum, though. it's a good one.

2: again, similar issue with idea 1. only this one's alittle better, because you get a better variety, since its not just individual pokemon who you get a sense of a stereotypical personality from, its types as well. idea 1 limits further due to limiting by type, while a region limit still leaves type freedom, allowing a better chance of finding a suitable equivalant to each person's PS character. and since gen 5 is excluded for thi-...oh my god. actually, THAT WILL WORK!

ok, so for selection, i got one thing figured out now unintentionally. each team will have 4 pokemon, but! you have two options for the team. either A, set a region lock and go all one region for pokemon choices, or B, have one pokemon from each region.[Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.] now, since the odds of there being more than one of the same pokemon are unknown to me due to not knowing how many people will actually join, you may make color changes to the pokemon your PS chara becomes to make them stand out. maybe add one...possibly two accessories based on their primary outfit in the PS game they're from.

now for story ideas:

1: sounds alittle...generic...to me. i can think of a way to tweak it, though. instead of generic beefup, why not shadow pokemon? those bastards are way tough, aren't they? shadow pokemon take reduced damage from non-shadow pokemon, and deal super effective damage back. so you get the evil, and the strength, without really straying from what's been done in pokemon. not sure if i'm gonna roll with this modified version, but i might. general premise was good, though.

2: humans are few, and far between in PMD's world. hence why in PMD1[rescue team] it seems like the main character isnt even from the PMD world in the first place. thus supporting the idea that anyone not a pokemon being teleported to the PMD world gets turned into a pokemon...usually with an amnesia side-effect to the degree that they only remember their name, and having once been human.

3: war...yeah, i...i can see a big issue with that already. wars...are large. in an RP focused on a war, it seems like it might get hard to keep track of what's going on after awhile. which...gets complicated. plus...i cant really see this happening, anyway.

4l: this seems likely, since this RP will be set in the world of PMD2[explorers generation], and each team will be an Exploration Team. so, two likely candidates, now.

4d:...most of that sounds way bad. sorry, if that offends you. but that precise detail of exploration teams vanishing...hmm. well, i think i got one big potential idea in mind now.

...so, i think i got one good plot idea in mind, thanks to yoshiblue. as a result of what happened with Palkia, Dialga, Darkrai, Cresselia, the Time Gears, and the ones that helped uncover and put a stop to the crises of time and darkness, space-time has slowly begun to degrade on a hidden degree. this came to a climax, when two portals opened up. a blue one, and a pink one. the blue one led to six places: Coral, Ragol, Parum, Moatoob, Neudaiz, and the Guardians Colony of Gurhal. this caused an unknown number of people from these places to be teleported to random locations in the world of PMD.

the pink portal, which lay hidden in a room below where Regigigas was found by Wigglytuff's Guild and Team Charm, leads to an unknown land depicted in an old legend.[legend to be half-assedly made up later.] since the pink portal opened, exploration teams hve vanished left and right. and the only link...four shadowy figures, that would eventually turn out to be a team of four Shadow Pokemon. rogue escapees that, using a rocket they stole from Team Snagem of the Orre region, fled to the world of PMD, trying to accomplish some unknown goal.

well?

oh, side question, Yoshiblue. after looking at your sig picture...i gotta wonder now. do you play Mabinogi by chance?

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
Glad i could help. I do play mabinogi as yoshiblue64.

I forgot about the shadow pokemon. Fits perfectly with the powered up idea.

You got me on two. the evil people would be lost by the time they got there.

The idea for a war came from a RP story i use to play in Fantasy Earth Zero's forums. Basicly The characters and a few/bunch of randoms with name that aided you. Kinda like final fantasy tactics and the like.

Nice plot though. Maybe ill try to conjure up some myths and/or legends.

Guess i have to focus on flow the most.

Linka
Apr 9, 2011, 09:08 AM
yeah, i could tell by the graphic style of the picture. i have three characters. one elf, two humans. all girls. what a shock.[lolsarcasm.] my elf is Linkablue. see any irony/coincidence here? XD. also, damn naming system not allowing more than one capital letter!

yeah. i'm not certain i'll even use the plot idea you helped me piece together unintentionally, because this is a discussion. not a brainstorm session. so i'd like for everyone to agree on everything, really.

btw, i forgot something i wanted to mention about what i'm hoping will be agreed on for the pokemon selection thing. there are pokemon with set genders, like gallade, nidoking, etc. aside from nidoking and nidoqueen, i'm gonna allow breaking that gender barrier down the line, since there's basically no one-gender-only starter options. but, do keep in mind of what your character will be able to evolve into later on, so you can prepare.

in otherwords, say your chara ends up a Kirlia at some point, and is a girl. technically, it should be forced to evolve into gardevoir next. however, i'm allowing the use of a dawn stone to evolve female kirlia into female gallades. yes. rule 63 is possible here. i uh...do have one thing to say, though. a question actually. would anyone mind if i set a gender lock on buneary and lopunny? the idea of a male lopunny just kinda...freaks me out. besides. does anyone really wanna be a male lopunny? seriously?

Alucard V
Apr 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
I have one question, what about are good friend the realm of darkness and chaos? You know Dark Falz. Any idea how to pull that off?