PDA

View Full Version : Release?/Available Titles

Wang My Getsu
Apr 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know when PSO2 is being released?Is it really only going to be for PC?
I wouldn't think that a game as popular as PSO2 would only be available for one platform.

Ezodagrom
Apr 8, 2011, 03:40 PM
Let's see, what we know so far is that the game is expected to be released during 2011 on Japan, there will be an alpha test this summer (again, on Japan), and the only confirmed platform is the PC.

landman
Apr 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think the 2011 in the TGS video was a release date, the Alpha this summer and the finished game a few months later? not even Minecraft took that short period of time from Alpha to Beta. 2011 will provably be the year they will show the game, just like they did show PSU a year later after its announcement, and it was released two more years later.

Ezodagrom
Apr 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
I don't think the 2011 in the TGS video was a release date, the Alpha this summer and the finished game a few months later? not even Minecraft took that short period of time from Alpha to Beta. 2011 will provably be the year they will show the game, just like they did show PSU a year later after its announcement, and it was released two more years later.
Well, it could be something like alpha in the summer, beta during the fall, and release by the end of the year or during next year? Probably not... ^^;

The only thing known so far is that the Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity team was to join the PSO2 team once PSPo2i was released, to speed up the development of PSO2.

Kent
Apr 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
It's probably not the best thing in the world to compare a professional game development cycle to a toy started by a single independant developer.

Considering that an average AAA-level title in today's games industry takes roughly two years to make, start to finish, and the fact that a lot of the bigger-name companies willingly have much longer development cycles (anyone that runs on Valve Time, really)... It's an entirely different beast.

Considering that if everything goes well, the path from Alpha to Release Candidate can easily be as short as a few months, I don't think it's unheard-of to say that a game first announced late one year can come out in about a year's time. There are a lot of factors at play here, and development times aren't always the average in length, and they may have enough manpower dedicated to this project to make it actually get done in this amount of time.

So I'd say it's entirely possible for the game to reasonably go from Alpha to Release from the summer into the fall. It depends on a multitude of things going well, especially how friendly the Alpha turns out, but I wouldn't rule it out as a good possibility.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 9, 2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think the 2011 in the TGS video was a release date, the Alpha this summer and the finished game a few months later? not even Minecraft took that short period of time from Alpha to Beta. 2011 will provably be the year they will show the game, just like they did show PSU a year later after its announcement, and it was released two more years later.Considering the terms alpha and beta are entirely subjective and up to the developer, and taking into account the previous betas of PSU and PSOBB, there's a distinct chance that the alpha for PSO2 will really be nothing more than a free trial month.

And the 2011 in the trailer is intended to be the release date. It's also plastered all over the PSO2 website.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 9, 2011, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't think that a game as popular as PSO2 would only be available for one platform.

last time i checked, PSO wasn't all that popular, i hardly know anyone who knows about PSO, and the only people i know that have heard of PSO2 is because of me (this does not count the internet obviously)

RemiusTA
Apr 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
Funny thing is, im pretty positive they're allowing us alpha testing so the amount of fuckup they do with the game vs. what the fans are looking for is minimal...

...but they didn't coordinate a regional alpha test. Looks like Sega STILL doesn't give a damn about america or any other country.

NoiseHERO
Apr 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Alpha test? technically the teaser wasn't even for us. :\

Vashyron
Apr 9, 2011, 08:52 PM
Teaser? PSO2 isn't even confirmed outside of JP!

(Unlikely it won't, but you see where I'm going with this.)

RemiusTA
Apr 9, 2011, 09:00 PM
"us" as in player base, people.

Kaziel
Apr 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
popular [...] PSO2

Hah! Unfortunately it only seems to be a cult following now, unless SEGA does some fancy trick with PSO2.

Miyoko
Apr 14, 2011, 01:07 AM
Funny thing is, im pretty positive they're allowing us alpha testing so the amount of fuckup they do with the game vs. what the fans are looking for is minimal...

...but they didn't coordinate a regional alpha test. Looks like Sega STILL doesn't give a damn about america or any other country.

It makes sense from a design standpoint, though. If they just have JP players testing it, they don't have to worry about translating, or going through SoA for data we get. It's just more money saved.

Of course, I hope it isn't a sign for the type of treatment we can expect. I really hope that "Global" statement they made comes true :l