PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up...

sinners
Apr 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hey all!

Little History First:
I was an avid PSO fan back on Dreamcast (dial up, lol) and then converted over my character to PSO v2 on DC and the damn thing NEVER let me online, but only let me one stinkin time! (Although i could connect to v1 JUST FINE... blah!)

So on PSU launch I bought it for PC and only half-ass played it through some of the story and online mode, but enough to not really enough to get into it as the weapons and modding was WAY different from PSO (or so it seemed). It felt like there was only a handful of levels... and had very confusing systems.

Then the xpac came out and i never jumped on that either. My question is... would it be worth getting PSU and the xpac and jumping in on either xbox (preferably) or pc at this time?

(Cancel that thought - just read the PS2/PC Server was shut down)... now i wonder if enough people play the xbox version and if its new-player friendly?

I know PSO2 is stated for a 2011 Japan release...

SnowfoxZero
Apr 9, 2011, 05:36 PM
Honestly man, the way they run the server is shady at best. There is a lot of lag and server drops right now so I would wait to see if they fix it before considering the game.

Mystic_Nessly
Apr 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
If you only played the original Phantasy Star Universe (without the Ambition of Illuminus expansion), you missed out on quite a bit of content (missions, weapons, abilities/character customizations). Player shops have experienced nice tweaks to make searching much easier, among many other changes to the game.

There are PLENTY of people who play the Xbox version. There is almost always over 1 full universe (server). A nice side effect of the large community is LOW prices for rares! You can get a nice set of equipment cheap due to the abundance of rares in shops. It's amazing.

As for being "new-player friendly," I would say it is. It's pretty easy to find friendly people to help guide you through the game. Also, with each account able to play 4 characters, there's always a fair amount of people with low-leveled characters you can play with.

You were a former PC player? Well, here's a small warning you may not like. The Xbox versions suffers from slowdown in populated lobbies and through many parts of regular gameplay. Slowdown is further worsened at certain areas/missions, certain bosses (EX: Dark Falz), and if forces are casting magic. If you were running at full-speed on PC, this may be hard to get used to ( I still haven't).

To see what I mean, watch this video (especially slow at 6:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9TVhDrknI

If you're considering PC, the Japanese version is available too. Pretty soon, that server will be facing a new massive update (info on homepage of PSO-world). You can play online there for free with some restrictions (like unable to access room) or pay for full online game.

If you enjoyed PSU the first time you played it, you'll enjoy it more this time around. I say, don't wait for PSO2. Enjoy PSU now and get PSO2 later. Xbox is a highly populated community and communication is easy with the option for voice chat and or keyboard. If you can get over the slowdown issues and ocassional server crashes, join Xbox. If you prefer full-speed performance and newer content, go the Japanese PSU PC route (Take note, though, that the whole interface is Japanese, so you'll need to be well familiar with the menus to navigate through them).
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/There%20are%20PLENTY%20of%20people%20who%20play%20 the%20Xbox%20version.%20There%20is%20almost%20alwa ys%201%20full%20universe%20%28full%20server%20of%2 0people%29.%20%20As%20for%20being%20%22new-player%20friendly,%22%20I%20would%20say%20it%20is. %20It%27s%20pretty%20easy%20to%20find%20friendly%2 0people%20to%20help%20guide%20you%20through%20the% 20game,%20but%20don%27t%20be%20too%20surprised%20i f%20you%20encounter%20a%20handful%20of%20rude%20pe ople%20in%20the%20bunch.%20%20You%20were%20a%20for mer%20PC%20player?%20Well,%20here%27s%20a%20small% 20warning.%20The%20Xbox%20versions%20suffers%20fro m%20slowdown%20in%20populated%20lobbies%20and%20th rough%20many%20parts%20of%20regular%20gameplay.%20 To%20see%20what%20I%20mean,%20watch%20this%20video :%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9TVhDrknI