PDA

View Full Version : What do I do in Halo Reach?

Palle
Apr 11, 2011, 11:26 PM
I got my Xbox LIVE Update beta disc and have to get testing. Anyone have any tips for Halo Reach? I've only logged an hour or two with the Halo series.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 12, 2011, 12:21 AM
Co-Op Firefight Arcade is good fun, so nobody is wasting all kinds of time left clicking "humping" things. Including a giant Tank he should have been driving instead. :nono:

Boogie Troll
Apr 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
Play with friends. Campaign and Firefight (arcade) become a blast when it's with three of your buddies. That's pretty much true for all games.

Also, if you're attempting to get good, something that is seemingly common sense but overlooked is to control your fire. Burst fire at range with automatic weapons for the most part. This even goes for single fire weapons kind of; DMR, needle rifle, and the pistol all will lose their great accuracy if you just throw out all your bullets as fast as you can at far distances. If you pay attention to the reticule, you can get used to the timing and end up with the advantage.

Also, you may want to try out some of the Achievement Horse playlists with a friend. Updated every Wednesday, they stay up for a month I think before they make it out of the cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM4XjcOT86c

From two weeks ago. Some of them are bullshit and end up taking half an hour or more before you finally get lucky and do it. Some require you to actually figure out how to do it. For the most part it's fun. They're all community made maps barring the first week, which is pretty cool. Done by the Red vs. Blue guys.

Also sprint is the best armor ability in multiplayer, don't listen to the naysayers that like something useless like hologram.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 12, 2011, 12:29 AM
Also sprint is the best armor ability in multiplayer, don't listen to the naysayers that like something useless like hologram.
But it makes for comedy replays when a guy & then his buddy both try to smack that thing with melee, right after the other.

+2 kill score for me while I laugh at their Curly and Moe antics.

Or someone chasing my hologram for the full duration, hologram stops at cliff, he gets killed and stumbles over the edge.

something useless like armor lock.
There you go. Grenade armor lock, grenade armor lock.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 12, 2011, 12:34 AM
Fill up the XP bar.

Precious, precious points needed for new gear that do absolutely nothing except make you look different.

Except haya's choir of schoolchildren on standby. :wacko:

Zarode
Apr 12, 2011, 01:11 AM
Fill up the XP bar.

Precious, precious points needed for new gear that do absolutely nothing except make you look different.

Except haya's choir of schoolchildren on standby. :wacko:

Gonna be honest, I liked playing Barbie with my spartan more then watching some jack-off in CoD kill me with his "I played this game more then you ever will" bonus gun.

Dongra
Apr 12, 2011, 01:14 AM
Use armor lock whenever available. Seriously, people fucking hate armor lock for some reason.

yoshiblue
Apr 12, 2011, 01:41 AM
Its broken IMO

Block nades, blow up vehicles, block banshee cannon, tank block, wraith block, helps in melee (thats always fun. you can go without getting hurt to!), Block or remove sticky grenades, stall time and hope a friend kills him, destroys your shields if to close, prevent your self from dieing to needles, and much much more.

To bad they changed the needler to a plasma rifle. although saboteur was an over used class .

Human weps:

DMR- Three shot kill to the head. Armor piercing too.

Pistol- Return of halo one pistol. Good for sniping in its own right.

Sniper Rifle- Armor piercing two shot kill. Three shot for vehicle kills i think.

Rocket- Mostly insta-kill rocket launcher. Can lock on to ships.

Spartan lazer- Good for destroying most things. Got a nurf from Halo 3.

Assault Rifle- CQC weapon that can go mid range when bursting.

Grenade launcher- Reloads per shot, hold the trigger then release for emp blast.

Shotgun- insta-kill in cqc or two shot in close range combat.

SMG- a SMG thats good for bursting.

Cov weps:

Needle Rifle- Precision needler thats also good for headshots

Needler- More accurate and kills fast big boom gun

Plasma rifle- Mostly accurate gun. Good for shields

Plasma pistol- Over charge drains shields and shuts down vehicles for a few seconds. Can do the noob combo Over charge+ melee= win in cqc.

Focus Beam?- Down graded sniper rifle/ upgraded sentinel beam. Takes 5-7 seconds to kill.

Fuel Rod cannon- Rocket launcher that grunts mostly use. Bounces off the floor.

Plasma Launcher?- Grenade launcher that can shot up to four homing plasma grenades when held.

Plasma cannon?- shots up to 8 shots of body pushing, vehicle juggling goodness.

Spiker- an SMG that hurts when in the open.

Dongra
Apr 12, 2011, 01:46 AM
I think it's easy to work around. The only time I consider it a bit broken is when people pop out to throw a plasma grenade and pop back in and you shouldn't even be that close to them while they're in armor lock. The time stalling thing is simply up to luck whether or not he will have backup, and I see nothing wrong with using it as a distraction.

yoshiblue
Apr 12, 2011, 02:07 AM
You have a point but like some say, theres a reason why its the most used thing. Its broken but i love it non the less.

Some of the maps have some intense Cqc combat. Take reflection for example. lots of fights by the "elevator" and the hall ways. A few by the stairs. Sword base is always a sticky feast by the air vent/lift thing. Lots of cqc there. Theres more i want to say but im too lazy to list them all.

I play mostly territories, big team battle, and fireteam. So its natural for me to have cqc combat. That and everyone trying to 1up their ego with a flashy stab in the back.

Boogie Troll
Apr 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
I think the DMR is five headshots. Or four. Certainly isn't three-people wouldn't have bitched about that function if it stayed three (but still bitched about something, don't get me wrong). Also don't go for assassinations all the fucking time. It's a waste of time and it's leaving you wide open for someone to kill you. And most teammates are dicks and won't let you assassinating someone deter them from still trying to kill the same enemy. Betrayals, stolen kills, enemy killing you and saving his teammate happen far too often. If you're taking out a lone person then fine but if you so much as think there's a second enemy around do not attempt the assassination.

To expand upon what yoshiblue added at the end of his post.

I don't like armor lock because of how long it lasts and it becomes impossible to play elite slayer because of it. Here's a rundown of how every skirmish in that type goes:

Enemies run into each other
Throw plasma grenade
Drop into armor lock
If the grenades were close, wait for it to blow up. Otherwise come out of armor lock immediately
Throw second plasma grenade
Drop into armor lock

It's really, really dumb. It'd be cool if EMP bursts forced it to stop. Or it lasted not as long. Or didn't throw stuck grenades and needles off of you. I still like sprint more for whatever reason. Hate armor lock in campaign since the enemies stop shooting you the instant you drop into it.

Palle
Apr 12, 2011, 12:42 PM
All this pro grade info is great, but I just wanted to know how to shoot. :-D

Actually, I don't know of any 360 buddies who play this, most of em are on sports games or rpgs. So I just started solo campaign. I flailed around a lot at first, overestimated the need for cover, overturned every available vehicle. By the end, though, I was getting the hang of it, seeing a steady stream of challenge updates which I assume were the result of better technical play. Ranked up once.

I have now played this title more than all other shooters combined.

Thanks again for the advice, all.

Outrider
Apr 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
One of these days I really want to set up a Halo match-up thread or something. I imagine there are enough people on the forums that wouldn't mind a semi-regular night set aside for Campaign, Firefight or Slayer with other PSOW people.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
SHOOT OUTRIDER
I think they can do that.

Outrider
Apr 13, 2011, 08:22 PM
I think they can do that.

It seems to be pretty popular in Matchmaking whenever I play.

Palle
Apr 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
Alright then, this will be the last weekend my Xbox is hooked up until my move is complete, and I have a lot of testing to do for the Update beta. If anyone wants to do some multiplayer with an absolute scrub, campaign or otherwise, Skype or PM me.