PDA

View Full Version : the Wii sequel

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383664,00.asp

so nintendo has announced that they will be showing the sequel to the Wii (possibly still called the Wii but with higher specs) at e3, and I'm excited I must say.

Monochrome
Apr 15, 2011, 10:56 PM
Oh snap, the Wiiquel!

joefro
Apr 15, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think I can hold out another three or four years to see what Microsoft and Sony have cooking up. Not looking forward to more disgustingly simple UI design and gimmicky control schemes from Nintendo.

McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2011, 11:03 PM
Nintendo hasn't announced anything. IGN and Game Informer both cited anonymous sources.

While I wouldn't be surprised if the speculation is true, I also wouldn't be surprised at all if the claims were bogus. Either way, Nintendo has some ground to make up before I seriously consider buying another console from them. Two worthwhile games every two years is not going to cut it. I'm sick to death of all the shovelware on the Wii and DS (and inevitably 3DS). Not to mention the 360 is probably nearing the edge of its shelf life. I've been burned a few too many times by Nintendo to jump on new hardware, whether it has games I want to play or not.

Seth Astra
Apr 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
Assuming this is true, there's one thing that, IMO, Nintendo MUST do:

If they're keeping the remote + nunchuck thing this time, they should definitely include a classic controler (or equivalent) with the system, along with the remote and nunchuck. I have only the most basic understanding of the industry, but I figure that the unorthodox controler might be a turn-off for potential developers.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 15, 2011, 11:45 PM
I was actually happy with the Wii, you just had to look to find the good games. 2 of my top 4 games are Wii exclusive (Tales of Symphonia 2 and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon) and i also like Brawl, Twilight Princess, Arc Rise Fantasia, Lost Winds (Wii-Ware), Okami, the first 2 raving rabbids games, soon-to-be Skyward Sword and others.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 16, 2011, 12:33 AM
Half of those are obscure.

Wayu
Apr 16, 2011, 12:42 AM
I don't care if they get a new Wii. I'm happy with my Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

-Wayu

Zeal
Apr 16, 2011, 01:19 AM
Well, if the game selection is good, we'll see how I feel. There is the case of control gimmicks, but I guess how its pulled off and how it performs. There were some pretty good games for the Wii. I particularly enjoyed many games, like Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, etc. But, I guess we'll see what Nintendo pulls out of their ass this time.

McLaughlin
Apr 16, 2011, 03:01 AM
Well, if the game selection is good, we'll see how I feel. There is the case of control gimmicks, but I guess how its pulled off and how it performs. There were some pretty good games for the Wii. I particularly enjoyed many games, like Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, etc. But, I guess we'll see what Nintendo pulls out of their ass this time.

In the three (four? Can't remember) years the Wii's been around I can count the number of worthwhile games on my fingers. Metroid Prime Collection (the first two are even more awesome with motion control), Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Mario Galaxy (second one was eh...), and Metroid: Other M (although I doubt everyone will agree on this one), No More Heroes, and New Super Mario Bros. Five of those are first party (is Intelligent Systems owned by Nintendo? Six if so). The Wii has literally no third party support, and Nintendo takes forever to put out the first party stuff.

I'm honestly fed up playing the waiting game with them.

Sinue_v2
Apr 16, 2011, 06:52 AM
I don't see why Nintendo would have any incentive in releasing a new hardware system, since they're sitting pretty on the largest chunk of the marketshare right now and by all appearances, it doesn't look like Kinect or Move will displace them. Kinect seems largely to be more of a hit and news maker with it's hacks, and Move... well, I'm sure it's doing it's own thing somewhere. Ahem.

As I understand it, the Wii was pretty much a money generator on hardware from day one, which bucks the trend of consoles being sold at an initial loss, which is compensated for with licensing fees.. and judging by the horsepower of the 3DS, that's a business model that Nintendo is happy with. The real risk in releasing a new hardware platform wouldn't come from potential early losses, but from undermining their current goldmine by replacing it with a product that may not catch on with the public as strongly as the Wii has. At best, I could see them releasing a new Wii design with some expanded features... but it would still be a Wii, not a successor console or a "wiiquel". Sort of how like the DSi is an expansion of the DS/DSlite, but is not an entirely new handheld platform like the transition from DS to 3DS was.

They may well be ass-deep in R&D planning the next console should the market change, such as stirrings of next-generation development out of Microsoft and Sony. Especially now that their comfortable little balance has been usurped by PS3 hacks that can only really be fixed with the launch of an entirely new hardware platform. I just don't think we're going to see anything substantive being made public for at least two years.

NoiseHERO
Apr 16, 2011, 09:01 AM
It's mandatory to have a Nintendo console in every household in existence so...

Nintendo's next console can be a cardboard box that comes with a marker so you can draw on it named: "Nintendo Imagination Boy." and they would STILL be able to survive the console wars.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
I think I can hold out another three or four years to see what Microsoft and Sony have cooking up. Not looking forward to more disgustingly simple UI design and gimmicky control schemes from Nintendo.

Microsoft never cooks up anything worthwhile, they make a pretty graphics engine, copy the newest idea from Sony or Nintendo, then release a console and take 100% third party games because they can't even make their own video games, that console might as well be the Call of Duty and Halo console because if it didn't have those it wouldn't sell at all, because it's exclusive support is hugely dwarfed by Nintendo and Sony. The Xbox has always just seemed pathetic to me

Outrider
Apr 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
I don't see why Nintendo would have any incentive in releasing a new hardware system, since they're sitting pretty on the largest chunk of the marketshare right now and by all appearances, it doesn't look like Kinect or Move will displace them. Kinect seems largely to be more of a hit and news maker with it's hacks, and Move... well, I'm sure it's doing it's own thing somewhere. Ahem.

As I understand it, the Wii was pretty much a money generator on hardware from day one, which bucks the trend of consoles being sold at an initial loss, which is compensated for with licensing fees.. and judging by the horsepower of the 3DS, that's a business model that Nintendo is happy with. The real risk in releasing a new hardware platform wouldn't come from potential early losses, but from undermining their current goldmine by replacing it with a product that may not catch on with the public as strongly as the Wii has. At best, I could see them releasing a new Wii design with some expanded features... but it would still be a Wii, not a successor console or a "wiiquel". Sort of how like the DSi is an expansion of the DS/DSlite, but is not an entirely new handheld platform like the transition from DS to 3DS was.

The Wii's sales have actually been declining over the past year, with the Xbox and PS3 sales improving month over month in some cases.

Also, the disruptive nature of motion controls is becoming common place - they've realistically got to start thinking of the next big thing. While the Move has been pretty much a flop, the Kinect is not only selling but also becoming part of the mainstream mindset from all the exposure it has been getting.

Syndrome
Apr 16, 2011, 04:53 PM
We have been hearing for years from anonymous sources that a WiiHD or a Wii successor will be announced. I just don't pay attention to this rumors anymore. I can see a lot of reasons why they would need to release a new console, and there are still reasons why they shouldn't. But, until there is an official announcement from the big N themselves, it's just another internet rumor. Even though the Wii sales have been in decline, I still don't see the PS3 or 360 catching it in sales. From what I hear, it's still ahead of the competition by 30 or 40 million units. Even the hardcore Wii haters have to admit that they would have thrown their mother under a train to get one back during it's launch lol (exaggeration of course). It definitely was one of the hottest items of the decade.

joefro
Apr 17, 2011, 01:42 AM
Microsoft never cooks up anything worthwhile, they make a pretty graphics engine, copy the newest idea from Sony or Nintendo, then release a console and take 100% third party games because they can't even make their own video games, that console might as well be the Call of Duty and Halo console because if it didn't have those it wouldn't sell at all, because it's exclusive support is hugely dwarfed by Nintendo and Sony. The Xbox has always just seemed pathetic to me

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Kion
Apr 17, 2011, 02:17 AM
The wii was already behind a generation when it came out. In my opinion a Wii+ (HD compatible, DVD playing, music playing, additional disk space, better remote tracking) is what the Wii should have been to begin with. Now it looks like they're just giving out a concession to get people to buy their crap before they announce their next generation console at e3 next year.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 17, 2011, 08:16 AM
Graphics do not make a game/console, sure they're nice, but if the games are good enough they aren't needed, the Wii pretty much led in most exclusive and unique games so i liked it the most, and at the time it was a great strategy because of how much cheeper it made the console as opposed to the significantly larger price tags of the 360 and PS3

NoiseHERO
Apr 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
I'ma be honest.

This generation of gaming sucks in so many ways that theres too much to say, and I'm surprised anyone that's not obsessed with FPS games or dried out JRPG's can stomach spending money on anything.

If I wasn't a fan of a few Nintendo franchises games I probably wouldn't have a Wii. Now if only Nintendo made games for the damn thing.

The next generation either better have holograms or look like final fantasy 7 advent children toystory 3 dreamworks. As for Nintendo again, graphics aren't everything but they're running out of excuses for being almost generation behind visually no matter how many gimmicks they focus on to make up for it, that just end up being copied later.

Outrider
Apr 17, 2011, 11:21 PM
The next generation either better have holograms or look like final fantasy 7 advent children

You want your games to look like androgynous statues completely obscured by excessive motion blur and camera shake?

Huh, weird.

I kid, I kid.

I just hope that Nintendo figures out how the internet works this time around. Anything else is just gravy.