PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if my computer is strong enough?

New account
Apr 19, 2011, 03:14 AM
I'm looking at the requirements for the PSO2 α at http://pso2.jp/alpha/ and I'm troubled by the strange format they are written in.

The CPU requirement is given as "Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or above", which is very confusing: I had to search for a long time on Google to confirm that my Intel Core I3 CPU with 2.40 GHz and a 3 MB cache. Why can't SEGA just write the required frequency and cache size directly instead of forcing all users to Google for the specified CPU? Very annoying.

The graphics card requirement is given as "NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT, same class of graphics card or above". My graphics card is apparently called "Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)". It is obviously not the same card, but how do I tell if it is "above" or not?

It also says that the sound card has to be compatible with Direct Sound. How do I check whether it is? Is it possible to do this without having to reboot into Windows?

NoiseHERO
Apr 19, 2011, 03:57 AM
Theres an app-

I mean theres a thread for that.

Can't find it though, too lazy and sleepy to hurt my eyes over it.

New account
Apr 19, 2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks, I think I found that thread. I posted my message there too.

bstone246
Apr 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
when your computer can bench press a car it will be strong enough........but that's gonna be pretty expensive......

Ezodagrom
Apr 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm looking at the requirements for the PSO2 α at http://pso2.jp/alpha/ and I'm troubled by the strange format they are written in.

The CPU requirement is given as "Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or above", which is very confusing: I had to search for a long time on Google to confirm that my Intel Core I3 CPU with 2.40 GHz and a 3 MB cache. Why can't SEGA just write the required frequency and cache size directly instead of forcing all users to Google for the specified CPU? Very annoying.

The graphics card requirement is given as "NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT, same class of graphics card or above". My graphics card is apparently called "Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)". It is obviously not the same card, but how do I tell if it is "above" or not?

It also says that the sound card has to be compatible with Direct Sound. How do I check whether it is? Is it possible to do this without having to reboot into Windows?
No, they can't just put a certain frequency/cache requirement because different architectures of CPUs have different performance, independently of frequency.
Example, a Core i7 920 (2.66GHz) is better than a Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3.0GHz).

Anyway, your Core i3 is better than the E6300 in the minimum requirements, and your Intel GMA is much worse than the 7800GT.

Randomness
Apr 22, 2011, 12:43 PM

Sound card is not an issue. Ever. Basically everything made in the last five years will suffice.

Integrated graphics cards=autofail for gaming. As a general rule.