PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Grand Prix PSO2 reveal

Pages : 1 [2] 3

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it's definitely on the PSP2 team's artwork. It kind of has that game's style moreso than PSO's style. They're just alluding to PSO alot more in their designs. It's present in the outfits as well as the anatomy and faces.

I didn't get much from the music, to be honest.

-Well, i think it was catchy, and it'd be a pretty neat encounter theme. But it doesn't have much of a "PSO" feeling, which was much more melody based in it's composition, compared to PSP2 which was more techno-ish and whatnot.

But remember, they did confirm the music would do the slow/fast change that PSO did. Hopefully this means they're putting the kind of work into it that PSO did.

Music is a bigger part of gameplay than most realize. I really hope they nail it.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
The gameplay and graphics are are gonna be bad ass when we get the next video in a month or so.

AlexCraig
Apr 24, 2011, 02:57 PM
The music had a slight hint of some of the PSOBB music. But for all we know, the music they played won't be in the game itself and is just for the trailer.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Well hellow 4+ pages I totally missed.

I don't care if they copy a boss from another game just please don't give us reskins.
Copying another boss would be a terrible idea, and more than likely defeating the purpose.

Now that I've actually had sleep and taken off my nostalgia glasses, I'm skeptical. This could just be PSU3 for all I could have known. PSO2 was just used to reel us in like suckers. I think the music is reminiscent of PSO, but you'd have to look a bit closer to see the PSO beyond that. The way the environments are presented, they definitely have a PSO feel to them. They're eyepleasing, if rough. I'm sure that after they touch it up it'll look way better. I don't particularly like the weightlessness of the characters either. This isn't DBZ or FF where everybody floats as long as they damn well please. Especially FF which was a HUGE offender of breaking physics, and they didn't even explain it. PSO2 does have gravity, as seen when just normally jumping. It looks like it takes effort for them to jump that high, but once they start doing their "PA's", they just start flying everywhere and swinging their weapons around like idiots. PAs seem to mean push button, break gravity.

I don't know. I'm excited but at the same time I'm quite skeptical. It looks really PSU and that kind of disappoints me. I might be able to get over it though if the gameplay doesn't suck like PSU's though. If it's fun, then I can deal with the graphics.

Also, fix their stances, goddamn. Humar's back is bent as fuck.

Adriano
Apr 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it's definitely on the PSP2 team's artwork. It kind of has that game's style moreso than PSO's style. They're just alluding to PSO alot more in their designs. It's present in the outfits as well as the anatomy and faces.

I didn't get much from the music, to be honest.

-Well, i think it was catchy, and it'd be a pretty neat encounter theme. But it doesn't have much of a "PSO" feeling, which was much more melody based in it's composition, compared to PSP2 which was more techno-ish and whatnot.

But remember, they did confirm the music would do the slow/fast change that PSO did. Hopefully this means they're putting the kind of work into it that PSO did.

Music is a bigger part of gameplay than most realize. I really hope they nail it.

To be honest, at first glance, I thought they were just rehashing a pso track to tack onto the trailer.

Poubelle
Apr 24, 2011, 03:08 PM
honestly I was hoping the graphics would be much better. The character models look ugly to me....

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
I had to turn up the volume on my headphones and watch the trailer again to even hear a pso theme. Later on in the song, it just kind of goes into techno.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
honestly I was hoping the graphics would be much better. The character models look ugly to me....

The game is gonna look kinda ugly atm because IT'S NOT DONE YET.It's in Alpha

LeonAlabard
Apr 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
I would say this is simply AWESOME, but we have 25 pages of people posting this.

But, did anyone noticed the "G" letter in some clothes? (mainly the artwork at the start)? "G"uardians, maybe?

Also, I think saw mermaid fins. WTF.

And I NEED that sword. RIGHT NOW.

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 03:19 PM
Also nobody has mentioned it yet, but the enemies actually seem to be animated pretty well.

Randomness
Apr 24, 2011, 03:39 PM
Also, it looks like we have a PSOBB style action palette. Three center buttons, then five to either side (for number keys, I assume)

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
Should be noted, some of those monsters (around the start and end of the video) look like Gibbons from Episode 2.

CAMPSO
Apr 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
It looks a little like a hack n slash so far. Which isn't a bad thing but it's wierd to think that a action game like that is only on the PC. Just sayin

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
This isn't DBZ or FF where everybody floats as long as they damn well please. Especially FF which was a HUGE offender of breaking physics, and they didn't even explain it. PSO2 does have gravity, as seen when just normally jumping. It looks like it takes effort for them to jump that high, but once they start doing their "PA's", they just start flying everywhere and swinging their weapons around like idiots.

Also, fix their stances, goddamn. Humar's back is bent as fuck.

That was already thrown out the window in psu, just that you couldn't jump manually. *points at claw pa that lets you swim through the air.* If anything I wouldn't be surprised if pso would have looked like a wanna be square-enix game too if it were to come out only 2 years later. There ain't a thing anybody can do about it but like it or hate it.

and the way everyones back is bent, that seems to be a typical anime anatomical exaggeration. If they fix that, then the hunewearl is gonna have to get her toothpick syndrome fixed too, and that'd just clash between our half PSO/half PSU artstyle and make it look like metal gear solid and then little kids will just look like midgets again. :0

/exaggerating ironically on purpose to counter these things not being that big a deal.

Poubelle
Apr 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
The game is gonna look kinda ugly atm because IT'S NOT DONE YET.It's in Alpha

just commenting on what was presented to me in a video by Sega. they didnt give any strings sttached saying "THESE CHARACTER MODELS ARE TOTALLY GOING TO CHANGE" , but I hope they do.. anyway I was just saying I dont like them. dont gotta be defensive.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
I don't really see the goofy, over the top animations to be a problem. The game isn't trying to be realistic, after all.

The hilarious degree of kyphosis the characters seem to have is pretty distracting, though.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
Likewise. Anyone hoping to see a return to the deadly-serious style of the original PSO will inevitably be deeply disappointed.

For one reason or another, Japanese game developers aren't interested in that sort of style anymore. All you can do is suck it up an' drive on.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
That was already thrown out the window in psu, just that you couldn't jump manually. *points at claw pa that lets you swim through the air.* If anything I wouldn't be surprised if pso would have looked like a wanna be square-enix game too if it were to come out only 2 years later. There ain't a thing anybody can do about it but like it or hate it.

and the way everyones back is bent, that seems to be a typical anime anatomical exaggeration. If they fix that, then the hunewearl is gonna have to get her toothpick syndrome fixed too, and that'd just clash between our half PSO/half PSU artstyle and make it look like metal gear solid and then little kids will just look like midgets again. :0

/exaggerating ironically on purpose to counter these things not being that big a deal.That's the problem, it's too anime. I can understand things being wacky, but come on. His spine shouldn't look like a "C". Same with the huney looking like she's a toothpick with a couple balloons poking out from her.

Also remembered that I really hope we get some bare knuckle/fist weapons, such as the Brave Knuckle/Angry Fist.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
It's not like PSO didn't have any goofy animations.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ahem.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqukE7UfLk&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s

Sprinting.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
PSO hardly had any animations anyway. Slicers were hilarious to watch, same with unarmed animations. SNAP KICK WITH SPIN KICK FOLLOW WITH FULL BODY WEIGHT PUNCH IT'S OVERRRR. They also didn't go flying in the air and staying in the air for 10 seconds either, but again, PSO hardly had animations like that.

I'm just being needlessly picky. I'm not so worried about them being able to do shit like that, but when they normally swing the sword like it's heavy as hell, but then they use a PA and it weighs about as much as a spoon it gets a little silly.

Zarode
Apr 24, 2011, 04:10 PM
But I was able to equip an armor augmentation and it allowed me to swing my very heavy machine blade at ridiculous speeds?

A-Okay!

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
But I was able to equip an armor augmentation and it allowed me to swing my very heavy machine blade at ridiculous speeds?

A-Okay!
Keep in mind that this was a game that liked to say that none of its techs were "magic".

Anyway, I can't explain the speed units, those are just weird. But you can't really explain how they get stronger with a gun. Pull the trigger harder? Like I said, I'm being needlessly picky, and once you start nitpicking you see how ridiculous some things are. Maybe the Battle units made your suit work with your body rather than against it, and the suit helped swing the weapon with you as an exoskeleton type thing? Hell if I know.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
I think we should be pleased that sega didn't throw out the "This is totally gonna change...if you want it to change...ok guys...please don't hate us..." card. That's the sign of a weak team and a weak director. They need to go through with what they intend to do. Of course we should all keep giving our suggestions. I just like that they haven't totally bent over yet. We'll see what happens during the alpha. Personally I think Sonic Team can make games better than the people suggesting ideas.

Anyway I just want the story to be revealed by playing and not by watching cut scenes. PSO is the only freaking game I can think of that handled the story like it was a game and not an anime/movie/etc Reading Rico's notes was totally optional but they were there and there was a lot of information in them. It made the game more cohesive. Unlike PSU AOI and on(PSU1 actually was a great game in story mode)

However I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this, enough of the anime bull shit!

Stop with the f****** techno and bring back the classic music! I still listen to the PSO soundtrack when I'm working on stuff.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
A lot of the unarmed melee animations were silly as hell. Some classes just bitchslapped enemies.

Some of the casting animations were goofy too. Mechguns especially.

PSO is the only freaking game I can think of that handled the story like it was a game and not an anime/movie/etc Reading Rico's notes was totally optional but they were there and there was a lot of information in them. It made the game more cohesive. Unlike PSU AOI and on(PSU1 actually was a great game in story mode)Metroid Prime series. Bioshock. Tons of games, really. PSO did it very poorly, by the way.

Also, PSU's story mode was awful in every way.

However I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this, enough of the anime bull shit!The Phantasy Star series has always been anime bullshit.

Stop with the f****** techno I still listen to the PSO soundtrack when I'm working on stuff.This is probably mostly nostalgia. PSU has plenty of good tracks, and plenty of things that aren't fucking techno.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
just commenting on what was presented to me in a video by Sega. they didnt give any strings sttached saying "THESE CHARACTER MODELS ARE TOTALLY GOING TO CHANGE" , but I hope they do.. anyway I was just saying I dont like them. dont gotta be defensive.

Not being defensive about anything,just highlighting it so everyone who says that the graphics are ugly or whatever should know that the game isn't done.When the game's finished,then you can complain.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
I would like to think that the graphics will improve significantly before release, but this is SEGA, and I don't have much faith in them not to be lazy and cater to the least common denominator.

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
PSO hardly had any animations anyway.

They were way more realistic than any of the stuff in PSU, not to mention, they actually had variation between the classes. And i think the point of the photon arts is that they used the power of the reactor to use the weapons in ways not usually possible.

It just looked stupid half the time.

And what exactly are you complaining about? I was one of the main advocates for realistic animations, but the type of animation PSO used (Pretty sure most of it was mo-capped) Isn't really entirely possible for a game like this. The change in animation in PSU (and in this game especially) seems to be brought apart by the need for the different body parts to animate differently. (for instance, running one direction and aiming the other.) Newer games seem to do this very well (ever played Infamous?) but with the amount of shit going on and the amount of weapons you're likely going to use in this game, you can't possibly expect them to pull an Infamous/Uncharted 2 here. That said, they've done a decent job for early development, and for all we know they may be placeholders.

The biggest issue with the realism of these animations aren't the animations themselves, but the physics. Anytime someone floats in midair while swinging, it automatically looks Unrealistic. But from what i've seen, they actually have some sense of recoil on the guns now, and they put their full body motion into the swinging of the blades.

As long as they transition better than they did in PSU, and vary between the classes, there shouldn't be a problem.

As for the anatomy? Could change, but honestly at this point i dont think there's a big chance. The only thing that made me question it was the hunewearl. She's just incredibly skinny. The Fomarl doesn't seem to suffer that problem anatomically though. And i have no clue about this "spine" business you keep blabbing about.

Anyway, I can't explain the speed units, those are just weird. But you can't really explain how they get stronger with a gun. Pull the trigger harder? Like I said, I'm being needlessly picky, and once you start nitpicking you see how ridiculous some things are. Maybe the Battle units made your suit work with your body rather than against it, and the suit helped swing the weapon with you as an exoskeleton type thing? Hell if I know.Are....you serious? You're discussing physics in a game where people shoot fireballs, teleport, pull objects out of "nanospace" due to a small object on their backs, and have lines on their clothing that deflect bullets made of a magical particle that somehow shows intelligence and specific "elemental" attribues (and does not exist)?

None of it matters. In order for it to be a game, some rules have to be set in motion. I can understand disliking the Dissidia / Advent Children styled annoying floaty shit, but after a while it just gets pointless to complain. At this point, it's nowhere as bad as PSU ended up, which is a farcry from the dumb shit in PSP2i.

As long as the faces stay away from the PSP2 shovels, i dont too much mind. Granted, at the moment they aren't looking too realistic or amazing, but at least their clothing / hair is animated.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 04:35 PM
The only thing that really needs fixing is the faces imo they look undone like they need more polygons or something,but yeah we'll see what will improve in the upcoming videos.

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 04:39 PM
This is probably mostly nostalgia. PSU has plenty of good tracks, and plenty of things that aren't fucking techno.

True, though on that, PSO's being dynamic helped create a good atmosphere really well compared to PSU, which is why I feel like some people just end up "feeling" it was better somehow even alone.

On the faces, I actually don't quite like them either, don't quite know how to put it.... "too simple?" "not enough detail?"

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 04:56 PM
As long as the faces stay away from the PSP2 shovels, i dont too much mind. Granted, at the moment they aren't looking too realistic or amazing, but at least their clothing / hair is animated.Again, the faces look like shit in the PSP games because they are on the PSP. It wasn't a stylistic choice, I'm sure.

Oh, and:
http://i.imgur.com/ViUHH.png

Aumi
Apr 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
That's the problem, it's too anime. I can understand things being wacky, but come on. His spine shouldn't look like a "C". Same with the huney looking like she's a toothpick with a couple balloons poking out from her.

Since when does a kind of weird looking posture of the spine have ANYTHING to do with anime? Honestly, I don't know a lot of anime where characters have unnatural spine postures.

However I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this, enough of the anime bull shit!

http://www.ncsx.com/2008/040708/Tuesday/phantasy_star_collection_ost_w.jpg

http://www.shinforce.com/elite/phantasystar/gallery_pso/gallery5/wp-PSO-592-0640.jpg

Phantasy Star has always been anime-styled.

Aside from that, am I the only one who is reminded of Sonic, looking at those spines?

http://hanshawtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/sth_sonic7.png

Oh, and a thing I didn't mention before: I find that trailer's lack of RAcaseal's disturbing!

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
^ Video at the start has RAcaseal art. (well, it's a female cast with a floating skirt)

Video art seems to have a HUmar, HUnewearl, RAcast, RAcaseal, RAmar, RAmarl and FOmar & FOmarl on the same slide. (In that order) If someone thinks I'm wrong please try to correct me.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you look closely, theres some RAcaseal-looking concept art scrolling by during the first half.

EDIT: I'm too slow.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
A lot of the unarmed melee animations were silly as hell. Some classes just bitchslapped enemies.

Some of the casting animations were goofy too. Mechguns especially.

Metroid Prime series. Bioshock. Tons of games, really. PSO did it very poorly, by the way.

The Phantasy Star series has always been anime bullshit.

This is probably mostly nostalgia. PSU has plenty of good tracks, and plenty of things that aren't fucking techno.

1.I don't agree.
2.My point wouldn't have been made very well if I started naming all the games that do it. Zelda does it too btw.
3.I don't agree
4.I've only played online and up so I don't care about the old Phantasy Star.
5.PSU has nary a good track.

Aumi
Apr 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
I see it now. Looks pretty good, although I would have liked to see the head...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
I don't agreeThat's nice.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Here's "my"(keyword) thoughts on the hunes anatomy. As well as some stylistic changes I made. I'm not an artist soooo yeah.

Oh and if you don't like it go make your own :)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
You applied a filter and then traced some parts of the picture? And your point is...

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
It's not exactly a main stream online game so I'm not expecting hardcore graphics.

As for the deformed spines, that's not exactly un-common in anime style as I've said before and even I slightly use it sometimes when I draw. It's pointless to try and drag this into a pointless typical argument on what should be realistic and what shouldn't be...

I'd rather people have complaining that none of the 4 characters shown were black...or a cast...or a force. >_>;;

Shadownami92
Apr 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
Or the other alternative, if you were carrying a giant sword on your back you might get excessively bad posture too. :D

pikachief
Apr 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
Im so glad we all have opinions! :D

My opinion is that realism has no place in any game that isn't trying to portray something that could every happen in real life so i could do floaty combos with half ton swords for 10 minutes inside of lava as long as its fun lol

Also another opinion! (gosh i love these things don't you?) I feel like im the only one here who wants beasts :( lol also i didnt realize how skinny that newman was until u all mentioned it! Her torso is as thin as her 2 arms XD

And to those worrying about customization, I highly doubt that it'll lack at all in customization. I'm expecting the same or more customization from the recent games

Shadownami92
Apr 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hey does anybody know what that pillar of fire is around 3:17 on the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h7uCoa3mJ7M

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
Looks like it happens with the sword slamming into the ground thing.

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
On Customization, the clothes seem to be all "one set" like all the recent PSU updated clothing. While that can make for stuff that really can't be achieved with custom sets in mind, I'd really prefer to be able to customize it, rather than "pick clothes and pick color."

Linka
Apr 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
*just finished watching the footage of PSO2*

....excuse me while i crap myself. someone's gonna kick me in the face for making this comparison, but its like PSO, PSU, and PSZ mixed meets Digimon World 4. sorta. and i say PSZ, because look at that sword, man! that's a Ray...something. Claymore? some sorta sword from PSZ, from the look of things. also...rangers are gonna have fun in that. here's hoping for a 360 release.

...actually...if a 360 release is made...ten bucks says you'll see parties for rangers only on occassion. for obvious reasons. probably same for hunters. also....jumping. really?...you'd think that would be implimented long before now. regardless, it still adds epicness, despite the 'FINALLY!' factor.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
snipI was being nitpicky. You're being too wordy. Hush.
And i have no clue about this "spine" business you keep blabbing about. For fuck's sake, are you blind?

Oh, and:
The one time I agree with him wholeheartedly.

And everything else you chose to write paragraphs about was just me being picky. So cool yer jets and hop off my nuts, I know you like PSO, so do I. I ain't arguing with you.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
You applied a filter and then traced some parts of the picture? And your point is...

Um no are you blind perchance lol? Also not a filter it's a transparency so you can see the outline better. Somebody sounds like they are in a bad mood awww...

Also here is another pose edit. I didn't have to change much for this because its not too bad but his back his arching back waaaay too much. It seems to me the idea behind this pose is a super model type pose. Also the feet are super tiny. That needs to be fixed pronto.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
I really hope there's not a 360 release that's instant no buy for me.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
ohboyherewego.jpeg

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
Or the other alternative, if you were carrying a giant sword on your back you might get excessively bad posture too. :D

This makes the most sense and it really does look like the backs are arching because of the weight of the sword too lol. However I really doubt that's what they intended hah.

Why?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
I would guess it's because Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with MMO's that aren't FF.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:51 PM
That makes sense but it doesn't stop the game from still being on the PC.

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
Personally I rather it stayed on PC, so they don't get held back, etc.

But it's not too unlikely that there might be a PS3 release I would say, since PS3 is the most popular in Japan and it allows cross platform. (Inb4someonesaysffxi which was released ages ago and they changed policies.)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
That makes sense but it doesn't stop the game from still being on the PC.Yes, because Microsoft controls all online interaction done via PCs.

Corey Blue
This makes the most sense and it really does look like the backs are arching because of the weight of the sword too lol. However I really doubt that's what they intended hah.

Why?

Segregated servers is gonna kill this game and if it's on the 360 it's gonna happen.Unless they catch up with JP which is not gonna happen.

Zarode
Oh, and:

Too bad I can't photoshop over that picture saying that only two people give a shit about this. Sex sells, and so does anime shit in Japan.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 05:57 PM
Too bad I can't photoshop over that picture saying that only two people give a shit about this. Sex sells, and so does anime shit in Japan.
I'm glad you like fapping to broken spined overtly huge breasted women, but some of us have taste. And are able to drag our eyes away from a woman's chest.

Shadownami92
But I think most people agree that with the sex sells concept, that it would sell better with sexier less painful looking posture/anatomy.

Vashyron

Nah it's actually quite disturbing to me, I can pull a blind eye to the "it's very pixalated" and "very bad textures" complaints, but this... uh.

Though yes, Sex does sell and so does anime shit in Japan. Doesn't mean they can't correct her posture.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 05:58 PM
Oh well yeah segregation would suck so I can see why you would be upset but to not purchase the game because of it, that's where you lost me.

Zarode
Apr 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm glad you like fapping to broken spined overtly huge breasted women, but some of us have taste. And are able to drag our eyes away from a woman's chest.

Sorry, I'm gay! The invertebrate slug there doesn't appeal to me, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Actually, this is less devil's advocate and more common sense. It won't change, watch.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
Oh well yeah segregation would suck so I can see why you would be upset but to not purchase the game because of it, that's where you lost me.

I might try it though I am a PSO fan.;-)

r00tabaga
Apr 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sRAuz.png

OK. What is going on here? Anyways.......any mention of MAGS anywhere???

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
Nah it's actually quite disturbing to me, I can pull a blind eye to the "it's very pixalated" and "very bad textures" complaints, but this... uh.

Though yes, Sex does sell and so does anime shit in Japan. Doesn't mean they can't correct her posture.

Her posture isn't too bad its the fact that she is missing her ribs and pelvis that is disturbing. Plus her tits are round on the top as well as the bottom which means they are fake.

Here I made an edit of her ribs, hips and breasts.

I personally believe this looks much better and her posture is about the same.

Randomness
Apr 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
You're missing how far forward and below her hips are of your lines.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
You're missing how far forward and below her hips are of your lines.

Right true, I wanted to make an edit not trace what Sega did. Her hips are a bit large but I like large hips, so sue me lol

Anyway I'm sure they will fix this guys there is no way they'll let this slide. And on top of that the game is about customization anyway so with a little meat on her bones and a bit more mass she'll look fine.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:14 PM
In the future, we will have spongy plastic spines.

And it will be glorious.

Imagine the profits that can be made on this.

Jonty
Apr 24, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think 'sex sells' is just base self-justification; and disingenuous. There's a difference between 'sex' and 'sexism'. Anatomically dangerous, improbably clad women (astronomically more than men) are, I think, a blight on the games industry, and not something to be accepted so readily. I'm certainly not saying that PSO2 looks like being guilty of this any more than any other game - in fact, aside from that model, character's bodies so far seem pleasingly normal, relatively speaking - but I do think that it's a lazy, morally stinky, and just plain boring art decision to design characters like that. There's enough sexism in the world without it being reinforced (whether consciously or not) in games. Of course I'm not under any allusions that this'll change any time soon; but it's always important to bring these things up as much as possible. Awareness raising is what comes first.

Aside from that complaint (which is a universal one common to the whole industry, but still relevant to the larger discussion of these new images, I think!), I'm cautiously optimistic. Though there is a hefty dose of PSU to what we're seeing so far, and though I'm in the camp that isn't so hot on goofy, over the top attack animations, there's enough of a nostalgic whiff to the style to keep me hooked like the absurd and gullible man-fish that I am.

Very much looking forward to seeing some force gameplay (and CAST models). and I'm pleased to see the HP / PP bars hovering reassuringly in the top left of some of the screens. Roll on the next batch of screens!

edit: and yes! I do hope some MAGS pop up somewhere...

DemonMike
Apr 24, 2011, 06:17 PM
God dayumn this thread got big quick.

People are being picky about the body type of the HUnewearl? Jesus christ, have you guys not seen any modern anime art?

Also, good point about the mags being missing.. How disappointing.

Sierhiet
Apr 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
I dont understand the argument. HUnewearl =/= human? Corrent me if im wrong. You might as well take photoshop to her ears, based on some of your accusations.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 06:25 PM
The point is that the posturing of the character models (it's all of them, the HUne is just the most obvious) is distracting and uncomfortable. Not sure what there is not to understand.

Sayara
Apr 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
its more like the absurdity in the body frame really, I mean Human or Newman the main basis is that its based of a human bodytype. Anatomy aside, it just looks NASTY :|

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
I can't put it anymore blatantly than this.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/9499.jpg

If you still don't understand you're either
A) Choosing not to see it, which makes you stupid.
B) Stupid.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
Here's spines for fun

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/spines-1.png

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
its more like the absurdity in the body frame really, I mean Human or Newman the main basis is that its based of a human bodytype. Anatomy aside, it just looks NASTY :|To be fair, the stick figure can probably be corrected by adjusting the proportions during character creation. At least it better be.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
That's almost as beautiful as mine.

Almost.

There can be only one, after all.

GRAB YOUR CLAYMORES.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
Case in point, if we all wanted generic animu designs, we'd just open our hentai folders (which we all have, don't lie), and then fap away rather then buy the game.

It is entirely possible to create fictional characters, who still have realistic proportions and yet are sexy.

At least, it used to be.

Sierhiet
Apr 24, 2011, 06:40 PM
But does it need 3 pages of scrutiny, two drafts of an "aesthetics chart", or one complete approval from everyone? I dont know, I kind of like the stylized look. Slight C curved spine included, despite missing the classic art style of PSO.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
But does it need 3 pages of scrutiny, two drafts of an "aesthetics chart", or one complete approval from everyone?

Yes.

Yes, it does.

The backdraft is there, so creates know how well/bad their doing.

Now, how they listen to it, is a different matter entirely.

Sayara
Apr 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
Im hoping, because that maybe the deal breaker for not using a female char in a PS- game for every game ever.

CHOX
Apr 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
Awesome, the first thing to jump out is that the music SOUNDS like PSO music! :D

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
Guys don't get too up in arms about all this conflict I think it's healthy that we as a community discuss problems we see with the game and if possible make mockups of what we feel would be better. If nothing else it's better than just sitting here doing nothing. Personally I would really prefer a much more organic/fuller looking female characters. Curves are really nice especially for the stomach. As for the outfits, I think it would be nice if they think more like "If I was a truly a girl what would I enjoy wearing" and try and think how it would be functional during combat. To me that means no high heels especially in the forest, I mean come on! Combat boots baby! That sounds good.

Sorry I'm rambling.

Sayara
Apr 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
I like the idea of the armor based outfits they have now. Its hella better than dressup barbie U

Randomness
Apr 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
To be fair, the stick figure can probably be corrected by adjusting the proportions during character creation. At least it better be.

Or some tweaks in the model editor. I have a feeling they weren't going for absolute perfection there.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
I'm just here for those flashy swords.

And giggles.

Check please.

Speaking of armor, anyone up to betting what will be the default ration of skin-to-protection this time around?

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:50 PM
You guys MUST be trolling to make such a huge-ass deal out of these spines...

*constantly questions how so many psu fans seem new to anime. @_@*

*could probably find at least 50 other images from games or animes where the character's have spines like this*

*questioned this when I was like 9 years old*

*is probably being trolled*

Blueblur
Apr 24, 2011, 06:50 PM

I agree 100%.

r00tabaga
Apr 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
I can't believe that the only thing being talked about is that chic's "posture". I actually like the look and am just psyched about everything that I saw today! I might actually get a gaming PC now. Still hoping for MAGs, telepipes & PSO-style traps (not PSPo2!).

I also hope we can wear bath towels & bikini's.....<dripping w/sarcasm>

ChronoTrigga
Apr 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
1. PSO2 video comes out....
2. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MESETA
3. ?????
4. Spine?

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
We could still trim it, especially on those bikini shorts/minis.

You know, lesser armor weight for increased movement without sacrificing too much of a defense.

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:53 PM
I agree 100%.

Phantasy Star Universe 1 with Ethan and crew offline mode real RPG mode. You didn't think that was fun? Maybe I'm crazy than...I had a whole mess of fun...so fu guys :(

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
Fun? No. It was painfully boring and dumb, like most of PSU's story missions.

*constantly questions how so many psu fans seem new to anime. @_@*Hi. I'm a PSU fan, and I absolutely abhor anime. Loathe it.

BIG OLAF
Apr 24, 2011, 07:02 PM
God, people. Stop being so nitpicky. It's ridiculous as hell. So the HUnewearl is leaning backward slightly. So PSO2's art and graphics are a bit stylized. You're all acting like it's going to break the damned game.

Dongra
Apr 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
God, people. Stop being so nitpicky. It's ridiculous as hell. So the HUnewearl is leaning backward slightly. So PSO2's art and graphics are a bit stylized. You're all acting like it's going to break the damned game.
But it stands out sooooo much.

BIG OLAF
Apr 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
But it stands out sooooo much.

And? People should stop whining about the smallest, most inconsequential thing. If you're all going to complain about something, complain about something that's actually going to matter.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hi. I'm a PSU fan, and I absolutely abhor anime. Loathe it.

I can't blame you, anything that's come out after 2008 is garbage, and post 2000 is rarely worth watching in general. and I can probably tell how an entire anime or manga would play out just from the first 3 pages by now. People new to anime either become disturbingly braindead and obsessed looking past good or bad, or just hating every bit of it's existence.

But I don't see how an anime style game...that probably less than 10 thousand people in Not-Japan has maybe heard the name of once, attracts so many people that hate anime to the core. Maybe PSO deceived too many people. @_@

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
And? People should stop whining about the smallest, most inconsequential thing. If you're all going to complain about something, complain about something that's actually going to matter.There's really not much to critique other than the shitty textures and the ridiculous posturing.

BIG OLAF
Apr 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
There's really not much to critique other than the shitty textures and the ridiculous posturing.

Well, then leave it alone. Complaining about something so trivial just makes everyone look like the Sonic fanbase.

Itoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
The complaining only spawns because of lack of information.

And also the fact that pretty much every Phantasy Star fan, from all sides of the spectrum (Phantasy Star, Online, and Universe) wants this to be the best game ever.

KodiaX987
Apr 24, 2011, 07:20 PM
I fully agree with the arguments against the HUnewearl body and motion that from now on, her body consists of only a pair of tits and a pair of hips floating in the air.

And thus, the entire fanbase shall rejoice.

Dongra
Apr 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
If you're all going to complain about something, complain about something that's actually going to matter.
I'm sorry, are you telling me what to complain about? It's not like the posture is that big of a deal, and I only made the post because I felt the conversation about it was quite amusing.

Blueblur
Apr 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Phantasy Star Universe 1 with Ethan and crew offline mode real RPG mode. You didn't think that was fun? Maybe I'm crazy than...I had a whole mess of fun...so fu guys :(
The gameplay was fine but I could barely stomach the characters and plot. It was terrible. I really hope PSO 2 has a minimal story because the current Phantasy Star team doesn't know how to write and incorporate a decent narrative into their games. It's worse than anime. PSP2's story was a bit better but still pretty bad.

Yeah, seriously. If there's anything people should be bothered by its the lacking visual design of the armor/costumes and the slightly dead faces. The anatomy concerns will most likely go unnoticed.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
One of my concern's is the main plot of the story,so where on a ship,that travels the endless star's,stopping this darkness that covering the universe?? So there's not a set number of planet's,there's an infinite amount of planet's.I'm guessing there's no main character either so I doubt we'll get the story shoved down our throats.I could be wrong though.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
You guys MUST be trolling to make such a huge-ass deal out of these spines...

*constantly questions how so many psu fans seem new to anime. @_@*

*could probably find at least 50 other images from games or animes where the character's have spines like this*

*questioned this when I was like 9 years old*

*is probably being trolled*
...GAWD, no. NO. You do NOT see a ton of images with spines drawn like this. Seriously. NO.

Anyways... I think a more pressing point would be the lack of any sort of muscle definition. I am still living in hope that there is some kind of muscle slider or something in this one, it's something that's always annoyed me about the aesthetic. I mean, gawd, an athletic woman's navel is NEVER going to be so flat and featureless! Why would you even WANT that sort of thing, anyway? It's BORING!

If I can't make a character with muscle definition somewhat approaching this, I will has a sad.
[spoiler-box]http://img2.gelbooru.com//images/685/f21e70dcf1b651e5b61f0ca06073deaf7d1754cb.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Itoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
One of my concern's is the main plot of the story,so where on a ship,that travels the endless star's,stopping this darkness that covering the universe?? So there's not a set number of planet's,there's an infinite amount of planet's.I'm guessing there's no main character either so I doubt we'll get the story shoved down our throats.I could be wrong though.

Story is a concern of mine too. So far though (based on what we've seen in the trailer) it looks a bit more serious than PSU. Other than that we don't know anything.

I remember reading somewhere that the name "Arks" was mentioned. Does this mean that the Hunters of this game are related to the Arkz of Episode 3?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 07:28 PM
If you're all going to complain about something, complain about something that's actually going to matter.
It does matter. I don't want ugly pencil thin gigantic knocker women running around the game, that kind of takes away from the experience. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that we don't want hentai in 3D, all we want is a better posture. You would think that any kind of training program that trains people in gigantic fucking weapons would teach their soldiers or trainees some good posture.

Anime does it because well it's fucking anime. A lot of things are perspective based in anime because of the 2D plane, whereas on a 3D plane it's a lot more obvious if someone is leaning from halfway of their spine. It looks stupid, unappealing and sloppy.

Also, fat people with eight packs in PSU was hilariously bad.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
I can't blame you, anything that's come out after 2008 is garbage, and post 2000 is rarely worth watching in general. and I can probably tell how an entire anime or manga would play out just from the first 3 pages by now. People new to anime either become disturbingly braindead and obsessed looking past good or bad, or just hating every bit of it's existence.
I just want to point out that this post possesses all the fail.

All of it.

So many fails.

I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that we don't want hentai in 3D
Okay, this one's just stupid.

Please refrain from stupid phrases like this. Seriously, it's SO FAR REMOVED from "hentai" I don't even know what else to say. It's not even "ecchi", in fact, this has absolutely nothing to do with hentai or anime and everything to do with just being bad posture.

So please stop with the silliness.

Dongra
Apr 24, 2011, 07:31 PM
Also, fat people with eight packs in PSU was hilariously bad.
I always wished I could have done something about that.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
You guys should know by now there just picking with you by now lmao,don't take there post so seriously.I wouldn't worry until it's the final release then you can complain,fight,rip each others arm's and leg's off then.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
I feel compelled to point out that 3 and 4 are actually decent posture, that 5 is someone actually leaning back, that 2 is of cartoon blobs, and that 1 is, SURPRISE, again someone actively leaning back in a far, FAR more exaggerated fashion than any of the other images INCLUDING the PSO2 image that sparked this whole thing.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
The point is that it's not an abnormal way to draw peoples spines(man that sounds stupid to say at this point.) in many artstyles, also notice they're all from popular series.

But who cares anymore, we're just bored.

(and compared to the human this doesn't look all that horrible, I thought newmans were SUPPOSED to be toothpicks.)

DemonMike
Apr 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
It does matter. I don't want ugly pencil thin gigantic knocker women running around the game, that kind of takes away from the experience. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that we don't want hentai in 3D, all we want is a better posture. You would think that any kind of training program that trains people in gigantic fucking weapons would teach their soldiers or trainees some good posture.

Ah quit your whining all ready. Sorry to use you as an example but with those classic lines in your first paragraph I just had to.

1: It doesn't matter. It's just a 3D model and the art designers have clearly decided they want newmans to be very curvy.

2. You're also forgetting that these aren't pre-set models. You remember that part of the game where you decide what your character wants to look like? People can design their characters any way they wish, get over it bub. It was in PSO (to an extent..), PSU and PSPo.

3. Hentai in 3D? God damn, are you twelve? The character is wearing clothes, it's not exactly porn. Then for some reason you followed this up with "all we want is a better posture", are you implying that the change of the posture will declassify it as 'hentai'? (To be fair, I'm getting pretty sick of the use of the word 'hentai' in general considering its original definition)

4. You would have thought this army would have taught its soldiers that you can attack as many times as you can consecutively before you exhaust yourself too much rather than only attacking in a combination of 3. Then again, were the hunters ever soldiers? They were treated more like mercenaries.

Itoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
It isn't a foreign thing for games to have characters drawn like that either. Take a look at any game out of japan post 2003 or around there, your sure to find plenty of characters standing like that. Don't know why, but its seen as a really cool stance.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 07:52 PM
It's not even necessarily the stance, but the way her back curves in seriously exaggerated fashion in tandem with her pole-like torso and... ugh, y'know, I'm not going to analyze this thing, it'll just make me depressed. -_-;

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think the problem here is that some people are just seeing this as an awkward stance with the character model leaning backwards. That would be weird, but fine, but it isn't what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is actual curvature of the spine sideways. Kyphosis.

It by no means would kill the game experience for me (hell, I'd probably stop noticing it after five minutes), but it just looks distracting. It's one of the few things we have to complain about at this stage, and I love complaining about things.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 08:00 PM
You guy's are just bored and overreacting now, I'll no longer be dragged into it. @_@

@zystic-girl/tranny/person-sumtin from a page ago: Don't even get me started on anime...e_e

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
@zystic-girl/tranny/person-sumtin from a page ago: Don't even get me started on anime...e_e
PATHETIC.

I will say this to everyone who blindly hates on anime (which, by the way, is simply animation from Japan, which itself includes a HUGE number of works covering a RIDICULOUS variety of genres with incredibly variable levels of production value).

It is stupid to hate on "anime". Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_Law) applies to it as much as it applies to anything else, and hating on it because you never saw any of the 10% that isn't crap is purest ignorance and possibly bigotry and/or stupidity.

"I hate American TV, nothing but sitcoms and soap operas." <---- Completely ignorant statement entirely devoid of truth but possessing roughly the equivalent level of backing as "I hate anime because of this and that series".

Also, this is relevant to this game BECAUSE IT IS MADE BY THE JAPANESE. It WILL use an anime-ish art style, and it WILL draw influences from their anime, including such wonderful tropes as selective gravity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelectiveGravity), awesome but impractical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical) (describing virtually every weapon system in the PSO and PSU series outside of the one-handers), and yes, even loads and loads and LOADS of fanservice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanservice).

If you hate "anime" you should automatically hate this game. If you don't hate this game, congratulations! There may be hope for you yet. All you have to do is get over your farcical bigotry and realize that, hey, there's stuff out there that is ACTUALLY GOOD. You just have to wade through the 90% of crap to get to it first. :wacko:

Para
Apr 24, 2011, 08:11 PM
Im pretty impressed by the trailer right now but I hope it doesn't become another PA spam fest game. One of the major things I really liked about PSP2 was the introduction of the blocking system. It felt that the battles were somewhat back n forth between your enemy and yourself. Acting and reacting if you like to say. Because of that, I think they may tone it down a bit (however this is one trailer and Im sure sega wants to make it a bit flashy).

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
PATHETIC.

I will say this to everyone who blindly hates on anime (which, by the way, is simply animation from Japan, which itself includes a HUGE number of works covering a RIDICULOUS variety of genres with incredibly variable levels of production value).

It is stupid to hate on "anime". Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_Law) applies to it as much as it applies to anything else, and hating on it because you never saw any of the 10% that isn't crap is purest ignorance and possibly bigotry and/or stupidity.

"I hate American TV, nothing but sitcoms and soap operas." <---- Completely ignorant statement entirely devoid of truth but possessing roughly the equivalent level of backing as "I hate anime because of this and that series".

Also, this is relevant to this game BECAUSE IT IS MADE BY THE JAPANESE. It WILL use an anime-ish art style, and it WILL draw influences from their anime, including such wonderful tropes as selective gravity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelectiveGravity), awesome but impractical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical) (describing virtually every weapon system in the PSO and PSU series outside of the one-handers), and yes, even loads and loads and LOADS of fanservice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanservice).

If you hate "anime" you should automatically hate this game. If you don't hate this game, congratulations! There may be hope for you yet. All you have to do is get over your farcical bigotry and realize that, hey, there's stuff out there that is ACTUALLY GOOD. You just have to wade through the 90% of crap to get to it first. :wacko:

Isn't that SORT of agreeing with my original post, I understand all the horrible and typical idiotic flaws outside of nepotism and ignorance, while still loving and enjoying what I can consider good from it. Going into detail would only add pointless extra argument material and most of this is your overreacted misunderstanding. o_O;

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
Ah quit your whining all ready. Sorry to use you as an example but with those classic lines in your first paragraph I just had to.

1: It doesn't matter. It's just a 3D model and the art designers have clearly decided they want newmans to be very curvy.

2. You're also forgetting that these aren't pre-set models. You remember that part of the game where you decide what your character wants to look like? People can design their characters any way they wish, get over it bub. It was in PSO (to an extent..), PSU and PSPo.

3. Hentai in 3D? God damn, are you twelve? The character is wearing clothes, it's not exactly porn. Then for some reason you followed this up with "all we want is a better posture", are you implying that the change of the posture will declassify it as 'hentai'? (To be fair, I'm getting pretty sick of the use of the word 'hentai' in general considering its original definition)

4. You would have thought this army would have taught its soldiers that you can attack as many times as you can consecutively before you exhaust yourself too much rather than only attacking in a combination of 3. Then again, were the hunters ever soldiers? They were treated more like mercenaries.
1.You are still missing the point. It's the goddamn spine. I'm not worried about her leaning back, she can lean back all she damn well pleases, but it looks like there's something wrong with her on a skeletal level.

2. As I said a billion times before, I'm being nitpicky because, hey, I ran out of things to complain about. That happens to be the thing that sticks out the most. Going on with the other pictures that other guy posted, those aren't fighting stances, that's promotional art, they're supposed to look "edgy" and "cool". And using a 3 foot tall animal for posture? You're disqualified, please take a seat.

3. You do realize that it's made to be fanservice, right? As in, alluding to the naughty things that I nerds would do to her, if they were ever to approach a female that is. And no, that was a completely different rant entirely, mentioning the inflated chest pieces she has in relativity to her body. im 12 and wat is this

4. That question got cut off, so I may not be able to answer appropriately. Regardless if they were soldiers or not, I did mention trainees. Somebody had to have trained them, I'm pretty sure they didn't just let any fool with a beam sword go running around the ship. Well, then again they did let Ash(PSO) and Ethan(PSU) do that, so I could be completely wrong.

Everyone's getting butthurt over my nitpicking. It gets me all tingly.

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 08:16 PM
I told them not to get worked up,people control your RAGE.

Thunderflash
Apr 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
I didn't follow this thread but i didn't saw this gameplay-video anywhere on pso-world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqukE7UfLk

As i saw this video this morning i really had tears of joy in my eyes. But I also miss mags in this video ^^;

Sega <3

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
1.You are still missing the point. It's the goddamn spine. I'm not worried about her leaning back, she can lean back all she damn well pleases, but it looks like there's something wrong with her on a skeletal level.

2. As I said a billion times before, I'm being nitpicky because, hey, I ran out of things to complain about. That happens to be the thing that sticks out the most. Going on with the other pictures that other guy posted, those aren't fighting stances, that's promotional art, they're supposed to look "edgy" and "cool". And using a 3 foot tall animal for posture? You're disqualified, please take a seat.

3. You do realize that it's made to be fanservice, right? As in, alluding to the naughty things that I nerds would do to her, if they were ever to approach a female that is. And no, that was a completely different rant entirely, mentioning the inflated chest pieces she has in relativity to her body. im 12 and wat is this

4. That question got cut off, so I may not be able to answer appropriately. Regardless if they were soldiers or not, I did mention trainees. Somebody had to have trained them, I'm pretty sure they didn't just let any fool with a beam sword go running around the ship. Well, then again they did let Ash(PSO) and Ethan(PSU) do that, so I could be completely wrong.

Worked up? Now you're just being offensive. D:

More like slightly amazed at people agreeing with it and then exaggerating it for 4 pages, only to be dragged in myself from the surprise of how crazy it sounds enough to the point where I'd defend my opinion for a few posts. @_@

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't follow this thread
You should probably read the thread. It arguably has the most info, and that video was posted some time ago. Plus it's on the main page. And three other threads.

I know this spine thing is serious and all...

But come on, is it just me or are her iris and pupils white? Totally absurd.
Pfft
And what about that hairline? Talk about plugs.

Oh god, I just noticed her wrinkles. Totally unattractive.

Thunderflash
Apr 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
Oh ok, sorry for that

chrisy05
Apr 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
Im pretty impressed by the trailer right now but I hope it doesn't become another PA spam fest game. One of the major things I really liked about PSP2 was the introduction of the blocking system. It felt that the battles were somewhat back n forth between your enemy and yourself. Acting and reacting if you like to say. Because of that, I think they may tone it down a bit (however this is one trailer and Im sure sega wants to make it a bit flashy).

Compared to PSU, the 'PA's from this game seem quite restrained. They're more of a single special attack to begin and/or end a combo with. I hope it stays that way.

Ark22
Apr 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Take the chain out and I will be happy.Nerf PA's that will make me more happy

Aumi
Apr 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hmm, looking at it again, what bothers me personally is neither the posture, nor the spine, but her proportions. Her upper body looks unnaturally thin, while her hips seem to start unnaturally low. Oh well, it doesn't look that bad to me. All other characters look perfectly fine to me, despite what some might call a weird posture.

Soul Guardian
Apr 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
The video at least makes it seem like normal attacks could be useful again. Wonder if there will be any weapon specials...

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 08:41 PM
Isn't that SORT of agreeing with my original post, I understand all the horrible and typical idiotic flaws outside of nepotism and ignorance, while still loving and enjoying what I can consider good from it. Going into detail would only add pointless extra argument material and most of this is your overreacted misunderstanding. o_O;

Excuse me?

I can't blame you, anything that's come out after 2008 is garbage, and post 2000 is rarely worth watching in general.

WHAT IS THERE TO MISUNDERSTAND?!

TELL ME!

What the HELL did I "MISUNDERSTAND"?! EH?! EH?!

Sigh.

Edit: No, wait, I get it! Old = better, amIrite?!

That is equally absurd and pointless for reasons I need not go into here.

I shall also point out that the quantity of anime released has decreased quite a bit over the years. The 90% rule remains valid regardless of age.

Itoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hmm, looking at it again, what bothers me personally is neither the posture, nor the spine, but her proportions. Her upper body looks unnaturally thin, while her hips seem to start unnaturally low. Oh well, it doesn't look that bad to me. All other characters look perfectly fine to me, despite what some might call a weird posture.

Now that is something I agree with. Her proportions do seem a bit off. Other wise, perfectly fine to me.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
The anatomy is actually justifiable considering it is a Newman, meaning they can have anatomical features and proportions entirely alien to our own.

That being said, I still find that beanpole torso highly unappealing. (I should note that I will not comment on the boobs knowing we have full control over that.)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 08:49 PM
It isn't just the Newman chick; if you look closely, it seems all the character models stand that way.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
Excuse me?

WHAT IS THERE TO MISUNDERSTAND?!

TELL ME!

What the HELL did I "MISUNDERSTAND"?! EH?! EH?!

Sigh.

Edit: No, wait, I get it! Old = better, amIrite?!

That is equally absurd and pointless for reasons I need not go into here.

I shall also point out that the quantity of anime released has decreased quite a bit over the years. The 90% rule remains valid regardless of age.

like I said, theres some good things, ones that I can watch and enjoy. But within the past decade I've read at least 100 mangas all with the same plot under a slightly different concept.

At this point you literally know everything about an anime just because of it's genre, and the only things that stand out have to try really really hard to break the norm, or are not even all that popular.

I'm not one of those people that think anime no matter what it is, is better than anything else because it's anime. But I'm not some close minded douche that says "only X and X is good and everything else is garbage." either.

It's either good or it's bad, and right now, most of it is bad, and if you don't agree anime is either still fresh to you, or you have really low standards.

WiZ1988
Apr 24, 2011, 08:56 PM
Looks pretty damn awesome

chrisy05
Apr 24, 2011, 08:56 PM
The anatomy is actually justifiable considering it is a Newman, meaning they can have anatomical features and proportions entirely alien to our own.

Source?

That being said, I still find that beanpole torso highly unappealing. (I should note that I will not comment on the boobs knowing we have full control over that.)

We should have control over all of her proportions, especially the torso, if the previous games are anything to go by.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
It isn't just the Newman chick; if you look closely, it seems all the character models stand that way.
Uh, I thought the point of the post was that it wasn't the pose as much as the proportions.

like I said, theres some good things, ones that I can watch and enjoy. But within the past decade I've read at least 100 mangas all with the same plot under a slightly different concept.

At this point you literally know everything about an anime just because of it's genre, and the only things that stand out have to try really really hard to break the norm, or are not even all that popular.

I'm not one of those people that think anime no matter what it is, is better than anything else because it's anime. But I'm not some close minded douche that says "only X and X is good and everything else is garbage." either.

It's either good or it's bad, and right now, most of it is bad, and if you don't agree anime is either still fresh to you, or you have really low standards.
It sounds to me like you're just ridiculously jaded. And/or looking in the wrong places...

I will admit that I do not watch a whole lot these days. But it is not anywhere nearly as bad as you seem to think it is. There's a ton of little-known series, many released in the last ten years, that are purely excellent for more than one reason.

I tend to watch stuff that, say, psgels (http://psgels.blogsome.com/category/review-index/rating/) rates very highly. You might notice quite a few titles that have escaped your notice previously...

Source?

Er... what?

It's a Newman. It has the pointy-ears. Unless they added another pointy-eared race to PSO canon while I wasn't looking...

As for the proportions? It's FICTION, man. You don't need a "source" to tell you that you can do whatever you want within the limitations of your fictional world...

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSU/DnquM.jpg
^ ^ ^ ^
Lol. Come on at least try to hide it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 08:59 PM
Uh, I thought the point of the post was that it wasn't the pose as much as the proportions.Uh, I thought the point of your post was that the kyphoscoliosis was ok because it was a Newman and therefore alien.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 09:00 PM
CANNOT UNSEE.

Thanks, XSF.

Uh, I thought the point of your post was that the kyphoscoliosis was ok because it was a Newman and therefore alien.
No, I was referring to the proportions, not the stance.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Do we know if proportions can be altered?

-Wayu

Aumi
Apr 24, 2011, 09:01 PM

Anatomical featues =/= Stance

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:04 PM
It's also just the alpha...that stuff can be fixed.

-Wayu

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
Anatomical featues =/= StanceI think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Everyone misunderstanding each other, all around.

Aumi
Apr 24, 2011, 09:08 PM
Nah, the others understood just fine...

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
I think it's more of them being blinded by faithfulness.

Or stupidity.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:12 PM
The Internet.

-Wayu

therealAERO
Apr 24, 2011, 09:12 PM
Lets talk about the game again

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/justattack.png

Looks like there are just attacks again. I can't figure out what the white circle expanding would be otherwise.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
Is there a higher quality screenshot?

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
@starfox: looks like farclip failure.

@ zyru: I'm sure I'm looking in the right places when I DO find my enjoyable animes/mangas, and most of the stuff on that list, bores the hell out of me as well. e_O

Zarode
Apr 24, 2011, 09:15 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/vashers/justattack.png

Looks like there are just attacks again. I can't figure out what the white circle expanding would be otherwise.

Blast gauge?

^ ^ ^ ^

Eh, at least we know the screenshots were actually in engine.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
Is there a screenshot feature built into the game?

-Wayu

Blueblur
Apr 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
^ ^ ^ ^

I noticed this today. I'm amazed that they let that image out of their assets vault.

Itoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
Is there a higher quality screenshot?

-Wayu

Just watch the trailer again, but take a look at the bottom action bar. You'll see a circle hover over the the three attack buttons for hunters.

Looks like the timing system will be making a return.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Well, that's a good thing.

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
you can also see the slight pause between attacks, but at the same time it's speed up, just like a lot of people wanted in their fanfiction theories of how they wanted this game would be.(including me)

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 09:26 PM
@ zyru: I'm sure I'm looking in the right places when I DO find my enjoyable animes/mangas, and most of the stuff on that list, bores the hell out of me as well. e_O
Ah, NOW we're getting somewhere.

You just have seriously narrow, very particular tastes. That's not at all the same thing as an indictment on the quality of the medium.

Para
Apr 24, 2011, 09:28 PM
Looking at that screenshot... It looks like fov was either set on medium or something. Clearly signs of alpha :)

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
How many weapons were displayed in the video?

Sword, machinegun (?) ...anything else?

-Wayu

Tetsaru
Apr 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
^ ^ ^ ^

Lol, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I figure it's just a rendering distance issue, though.

And wtf at all this "Newman spine" crap? Really?? I'll agree she's scrawny, but if you've ever paid attention to how models, female movie/pop stars, or even strippers and porn stars carry themselves, this is nothing new. It's actually a technique they use for photographs that helps make them look skinnier than a full front view. Hell, I could've sworn the creator of Bayonetta said in an interview that he designed her to have that "runway model posture," and you'll notice that she looks similar with the whole "arched back/chest and butt out" stance. That, and a lot of anime artists tend to exaggerate a character's design to make them really lanky and/or scrawny; just look at characters like Laharl and Etna from Disgaea, or Ed from Cowboy Bebop. Or hell, maybe the artists at Sega DID decide to give Newmans (or all the characters) different postures simply for aesthetic reasons or sex appeal/fanservice... who knows. It's like complaining about how Sonic has green eyes now - it's a pointless argument that distracts people from the more important features a game has to offer. Besides, people that play video games, read manga, or watch anime should know that Japan is full of crazy stuff anyway. :razz:

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
^ ^ ^

This. I really think it's about time for all of you to shut the ---- up about this. We've had some pointless arguments (hell I'VE started some pointless arguments) but this has just about taken the cake. You act like you've never played a game with retarded physics or anatomy that isn't 100% accurate before.

The curvature of her spine has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay, which is mainly what this trailer was showcasing. It mostly just looks like an exaggerated stance more than anything, and even IF NOT....honestly now.

Anyway :

Looks like there are just attacks again. I can't figure out what the white circle expanding would be otherwise.Perhaps. PSU had a white circle emit from the button pressed everytime you pressed it regardless of Just Attack or not.

Wayu
Apr 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
They want female characters to look good.

That's all. (?)

@Rem: The circle didn't flash or anything, though...did this one do so in a similar fashion?

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
Lol, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I figure it's just a rendering distance issue, though.

And wtf at all this "Newman spine" crap? Really?? I'll agree she's scrawny, but if you've ever paid attention to how models, female stars, or even strippers and porn stars carry themselves, this is nothing new. It's actually a technique they use for photographs that helps make them look skinnier than a full front view. Hell, I could've sworn the creator of Bayonetta said in an interview that he designed her to have that "runway model posture," and you'll notice that she looks similar with the whole "arched back/chest and butt out" stance. That, and a lot of anime artists tend to exaggerate a character's design to make them really lanky and/or scrawny; just look at characters like Laharl and Etna from Disgaea, or Ed from Cowboy Bebop. Or hell, maybe the artists at Sega DID decide to give Newmans (or all the characters) different postures simply for aesthetic reasons... who knows. It's like complaining about how Sonic has green eyes now - it's a pointless argument that distracts people from the more important features a game has to offer. Besides, people that play video games, read manga, or watch anime should know that Japan is full of crazy stuff anyway. :razz:

Already barked up the logic tree, it's better not to even comment. :0

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 09:33 PM

It's looks to be exactly like PSU, Hit button, it expands and is "supposed" to help you with performing a "Just Attack" (Timing attacks correctly to unleash criticals) So something like it might be in PSO2?

Though I believe it was in PSU before they put in JAs even, then found a "use" for it, so possible just visual effect.

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
Lets hope they go back to PSP2 and have them not be literal "criticals". That's what was wrong with PSU.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
And wtf at all this "Newman spine" crap? Really?? I'll agree she's scrawny, but if you've ever paid attention to how models, female movie/pop stars, or even strippers and porn stars carry themselves, this is nothing new. It's actually a technique they use for photographs that helps make them look skinnier than a full front view. Hell, I could've sworn the creator of Bayonetta said in an interview that he designed her to have that "runway model posture," and you'll notice that she looks similar with the whole "arched back/chest and butt out" stance. That, and a lot of anime artists tend to exaggerate a character's design to make them really lanky and/or scrawny; just look at characters like Laharl and Etna from Disgaea, or Ed from Cowboy Bebop. Or hell, maybe the artists at Sega DID decide to give Newmans (or all the characters) different postures simply for aesthetic reasons... who knows. It's like complaining about how Sonic has green eyes now - it's a pointless argument that distracts people from the more important features a game has to offer. Besides, people that play video games, read manga, or watch anime should know that Japan is full of crazy stuff anyway. :razz:
Still missing point. Also don't look at runway models, I'm not into necrophilia.

^ ^ ^

This. I really think it's about time for all of you to shut the ---- up about this. We've had some pointless arguments (hell I'VE started some pointless arguments) but this has just about taken the cake.
Agreed, since nobody seems to be getting what I'm talking about anyway.

I can be okay with cooldowns, since it takes a little away from mindless button mashing...and then it turns into mindless 1 2 3 hitting which we're all used to. Maybe there's more expandability in it so it won't be quite as boring like normal->heavy->heavy could be.

natchu96
Apr 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
Iwas looking through this thread, and I saw this picture:

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=20497
[/spoiler-box]

and thought:
"If you're gonna jump, HUnewearl, you need to work on your sense of privacy. I mean, that monster is staring right between your legs!"

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
At least she's wearing nifty shorts.

Which makes me wonder how many skirts there are in the game...

Chaobo99
Apr 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
It's actually a new move for female characters. WHen you perform a jump, creatures below you are stunned.

Adriano
Apr 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
I noticed this today. I'm amazed that they let that image out of their assets vault.

Maybe they hoped critics and gamers alike would be mesmerized with his sugoi shiny armor and his desu glowing skin. ^_^

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
Still missing point. Also don't look at runway models, I'm not into necrophilia.

Agreed, since nobody seems to be getting what I'm talking about anyway.

I get EXACTLY what you're talking about, because we were on the exact same subject when discussing PSP2i's artstyle. The point is, it doesn't matter. There's no telling if her outfit or even her model is final. And besides, if you look at the Fomarl that was also included in the video, she is missing the spine issue that you guys are bitching about so bad.

There's an impossibly skinny girl on the team with minimal clothing on in a japanese game. Honestly, it could have been FAR worse -- her outfit is more conservative than most of the outfits in PSP2i. So what if you dont like it -- dont choose the class or just change her proportions. Even if you hate it (just like i hate magical girl lolis), you aren't stopping others from liking it or Sonic Team from putting it in the game. Be happy they aren't advertising the game with little kids like with infinity and keep it moving.

....Why not? It's an ugly error, but honestly they could have released wireframe shots of the game and nobody (at this point) can really bitch about it. This is the gameplay videos BEFORE the alpha test of the game. (which comes BEFORE the beta, which comes BEFORE the final game.)

vagabondkitten
Apr 24, 2011, 09:47 PM
Ahhhhh! How did this information exist this long without me knowing about it! Still, it looks really awesome so far. I wish we had more info on forces though. Also, anyone else think that the newman girl looks like Nel Zelpher from Star Ocean (only with pointy ears)?

Adriano
Apr 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
I get EXACTLY what you're talking about, because we were on the exact same subject when discussing PSP2i's artstyle. The point is, it doesn't matter. There's no telling if her outfit or even her model is final. And besides, if you look at the Fomarl that was also included in the video, she is missing the spine issue that you guys are bitching about so bad.

Well she might still have it, just nobody pays her any mind what with all the cleavage going on in door #1.

DemonMike
Apr 24, 2011, 09:52 PM

I don't think any one is butthurt, just extremely confused about the bickering.

I'm still a guy that believes that graphics don't matter all too much unless it's eye piercingly bad. A character model even more so, has no affect on your enjoyment of the game.

I don't really understand the fan service argument either, but I'll give you credit, you're not the only one to pick at it. But it is every where, I thought people got over it long ago? Welcome to basic Japanese culture my boy and it's been leaking into western culture quite frequently too.

Can't really argue with point 4, I didn't phrase my argument correctly. All I'll note is that the army must be really lax to let them wear such stupid clothes. It's not really sufficient protection..

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
@ zyru: Theres three things I dislike in anime,
-I've either seen it before,
-it's trying way too hard to be serious making it boring,
-or the characters disgust me.

Otherwise I don't like it for the same reason I wouldn't like a normal movie or a tv show.

I guess my tastes are narrow if 15 years of anime makes pretty much 90% of the things I haven't seen already fall into this categorey. But theres also things that I don't like, which seperates into "yeah I just don't like it" and "why does ANYBODY like this?" then last but not least "why does anybody WITH A BRAIN like this?"

Theres too much anime that go into the latter. :0

The only further way I can explain is going into different examplesm which I don't feel like doing.

Whether or not PSO2 IS anime style, which is extremely general, this IS just going off-topic.

Infact this reminds of an argument I had with someone over me not liking a halo fan video because I didn't like halo. edit: probably because it was in a topic about vocaloid. e_e

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
And just incase you people aren't realizing, because i really dont think anyone is:

ALPHA TEST
-In-house testing of a pre-production model or version, to locate or estimate design flaws or deficiencies. See also Beta Test.

("In-house" portion of this definition is, for obvious reasons, excluded.)

BETA TEST
- Second Level, External pilot-test of a product (usually a software) before commercial quantity production. At the beta test stage, the product has already passed through the first-level, internal pilot-test (Alpha Test) and glaring defects have been removed. But (since the product may still have some minor problems that require user participation) it is released to selected customers for testing under normal, everyday conditions of use to spot the remaining flaws.
Also, from Sakai himself:

For aspects surrounding the game portion, they are seeking player opinions. “Which parts about the game are heading in a good direction?” “What parts fail to meet player expectations?” These are some of the questions they are seeking to answer within the alpha test.

Although, not everything is going to change, players’ opinions help push the team to aim for something better. They want to remind everyone that this is just an Alpha Test and not a Beta Test.

The test is a bit behind schedule.

Get it now? If you want it to change, pray the alpha testers bitch their asses off about it. But since im pretty sure WE are being left out of this, little nitpicks about skinny newmans are going to go under the radar, because (looking at infinity..) the japanese eat that shit up.

Discuss the gameplay, but seriously...the art style isn't that terrible. It's FAR better than it could have been, to be completely honest. It COULD have been PSP2i.

If IM not bitching, im surprised anyone is. I absolutely lothe tropeish anime.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm still a guy that believes that graphics don't matter all too much unless it's eye piercingly bad. A character model even more so, has no affect on your enjoyment of the game.
I fundamentally disagree.

This depends almost entirely on the type of game you're talking about. And for a game like this, with as much an emphasis on action and CUSTOMIZATION as it has, it better be able to produce a good-looking avatar.

For a game like Minecraft, the pixelated graphics are a part of its charm. This is not the case for PSO2 or games like it.

Besides, lots of people have different thresholds for what is "eye-piercingly bad". What you consider perfectly fine might be something I consider eye-gouging. Diff'rent strokes and all that jazz.

Dongra
Apr 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
I not only find it funny that so many people are irritated by the posture of the characters but absolutely hilarious that people are even more irritated at the comments about it.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2011, 10:16 PM
I'm glad you came late to find it funny, and I'm still not exactly proud of being sucked in, but it was pretty ridiculous and my sense of humor is too cool for that. D:

Corey Blue
Apr 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
And just incase you people aren't realizing, because i really dont think anyone is:
Also, from Sakai himself:
Get it now? If you want it to change, pray the alpha testers bitch their asses off about it. But since im pretty sure WE are being left out of this, little nitpicks about skinny newmans are going to go under the radar, because (looking at infinity..) the japanese eat that shit up.

Discuss the gameplay, but seriously...the art style isn't that terrible. It's FAR better than it could have been, to be completely honest. It COULD have been PSP2i.

If IM not bitching, im surprised anyone is. I absolutely lothe tropeish anime.

People just don't understand arguing right now is pointless,plus it's nothing we can do about it.

chrisy05
Apr 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
whoa, this thread moves fast...

It's a Newman. It has the pointy-ears. Unless they added another pointy-eared race to PSO canon while I wasn't looking...

I'm not disputing over whether or not it's a newman. By 'source' I mean, where in the fiction does it state that newmans can have, "anatomical features and proportions entirely alien to our own", barring the ears?

As for the proportions? It's FICTION, man. You don't need a "source" to tell you that you can do whatever you want within the limitations of your fictional world...

Yes, but your justification, as far as I know, is not part of the fiction. Feel free to prove me wrong though, which is why i'm asking for a source.

Anyways, i'm sure that the humans in this game will have the same level of flexibility as the newmans when it comes to adjusting their proportions, again, if the previous games are anything to go by. A female human can probably be made to look as unnaturally shaped as that female newman.

At the end of the day, the only real justification for the anatomically incorrect characters will simply be that the character creator is a powerful tool.

Randomness
Apr 24, 2011, 10:40 PM
whoa, this thread moves fast...

I'm not disputing over whether or not it's a newman. By 'source' I mean, where in the fiction does it state that newmans can have, "anatomical features and proportions entirely alien to our own", barring the ears?

At the end of the day, the only real justification for the anatomically incorrect characters will simply be that the character creator is a powerful tool.

Well, Nei was basically a genetically engineered monster. Literally. When you start playing around with gene splicing and bio-monsters, it's acceptable.

And no, it's not the character creator, but more likely a skeleton in need of tweaks. Its not implausible that they started by only having that HUmar as a character for a while, since the differences between races are basically visual assets and numbers.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
snip
Alpha is not an excuse for fucked up character models. At least, not in that way.

pikachief
Apr 24, 2011, 10:47 PM
Well some people like extremely overweight people and some people like sticks with disfigured spines :D To each his own right? :) lol

I guess i'll just leave this to preference and opinion once again. as long as i can make her waist opposite to what it is in the picture then i'll be happy lol

Also: JUMPING! <3 lol

SephirothXer0
Apr 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
Here, how do you like it now?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/SephirothXer0/aftereatingasandwich.jpg

You can change it to this if you want in the proportion slider, so stop complaining about Japan's strange tastes in women. They're not gonna change any time soon.

I can't wait to see the casts' new looks, and I'm kinda hoping Beasts are back in. Though Dumans... not so much.

Kenbog
Apr 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
love the art style, the animation, the music this is totally what to expect from a phantasy star game :)

Really looking forward to this, I wonder how forces are in this game tho I only saw gun and sword combat so far.
Oh I didn't saw any Beasts or Dumans around there :( still hope they would include them.

Getting myself ready for the 1000s of hours on this one :)

Palle
Apr 24, 2011, 11:09 PM
I noticed that too, those were actually really cool shades.

Totally reminded me of this dude.

http://playside.ru/gallery/57/1565_video_big.jpg

Here's a hard one! Haha.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 24, 2011, 11:19 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9865/holyfacepalm.jpg

...at this epic discution about what people are seeing on screenshots from a game that it's not even past Alpha test...

goldbrease
Apr 24, 2011, 11:20 PM
by what joystick lists: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/24/phantasy-star-online-2-details-revealed-we-jump-for-joy/
they anounced pso2 will be pc only. since i can't read japanese i can't verify.

Here, how do you like it now?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/SephirothXer0/aftereatingasandwich.jpg

You can change it to this if you want in the proportion slider, so stop complaining about Japan's strange tastes in women. They're not gonna change any time soon.

I can't wait to see the casts' new looks, and I'm kinda hoping Beasts are back in. Though Dumans... not so much.

i like the new character models, althoe i think thats way to skimpy, i kinda like the added "armored looks to the (what i think is) hunter clothes, the cast body i noticed in the little design slides made the casts look like armored cores and gundams, and i don't want to bash that they didn't before but now they really look it. the one ranger male i noticed looked like the old pso ranger but with a heavy scaly armored look.

also the idea of being able to freely move jump attack in the air and climb objects looks awesome!

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9865/holyfacepalm.jpg

...at this epic discution about what people are seeing on screenshots from a game that it's not even past Alpha test...

well, its not even actually in alpha yet... which worries me since i think it said they plan to launch it this year.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
...at this epic discution about what people are seeing on screenshots from a game that it's not even past Alpha test...Normally, yes, but considering SEGA's track record, it's not unreasonable for people to get a little uneasy.

Hopefully they will prove us all wrong.

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 11:23 PM
It's like people haven't even heard of FFXIV either, play the Alpha or Beta there? WELL YOU BASICALLY PLAYED THE FINAL GAME!

SephirothXer0
Apr 24, 2011, 11:24 PM
It's like people haven't even heard of FFXIV either, play the Alpha or Beta there? WELL YOU BASICALLY PLAYED THE FINAL GAME!

That's because Square Enix put all their time and money into the graphics

Obviously this isn't the case with PSO2 :P

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 24, 2011, 11:28 PM
Normally, yes, but considering SEGA's track record, it's not unreasonable for people to get a little uneasy.

Hopefully they will prove us all wrong.

Yeah true. But even still. It's just a freaking char model standing. You're gonna be moving, running dashing, jumping more than you're gonna be standing.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
No one is getting really upset about (well, okay, some people are, but they are dumb), we're just pointing out how weird it looks. I don't think anyone would let that ruin the game for them.

I'm more concerned about the awful texture work, the clipping, and the other graphical deficiencies.

Zyrusticae
Apr 24, 2011, 11:35 PM
I just hope to see a muscle slider somewhere down the line. In addition to all the other stuff they'll inevitably include because this is PSO2, some kind of control or option for muscle definition is hugely important to me. MORE IMPORTANT THAN LAZ0RZ!! (No, not really...)

The Red Mirage
Apr 24, 2011, 11:37 PM
The combat looks un-freakin-believable, now I really want to see what the lobby system is going to be like. Here's hoping for the return of photon chair racing.

Vashyron
Apr 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
Oh and I really don't think fixed classes are back at least on fixed clothing. The Tails character is seen both with a Giant Sword and a Rifle, same with the Amy.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 12:14 AM
Alpha is not an excuse for fucked up character models. At least, not in that way.

....Do you really believe that you make any sense at this point? You're trolling, right? You have to be. I refuse to believe otherwise.

If not, i'll explain why this urks me. By the very definition of that word, in context, your statement makes absolutely ZERO fucking sense.

Edit: Or, maybe you just dont understand how this kind of thing works. If so, you can tell me, i'll explain further. But please, stop trying to justify your bitching, because honestly, it's getting pretty old.

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 12:14 AM
PSP2i-level customization, then more. With the detail they're putting into the characters, they need that.

-Wayu

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 12:47 AM
Im not really sure, but any boss that doesn't die after 30 minutes of multiple people whacking away at it needs to have it's designers beat with an ugly stick.

It'd better be one dynamic boss for that kind of time. No less than 10 BGM/Area changes and 600 levels worth of experience!

goldbrease
Apr 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
Im not really sure, but any boss that doesn't die after 30 minutes of multiple people whacking away at it needs to have it's designers beat with an ugly stick.

It'd better be one dynamic boss for that kind of time. No less than 10 BGM/Area changes and 600 levels worth of experience!

then your going to kill the game designers of nearly every single mmo out here.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 01:00 AM
Nope!

It's the very reason i dont play MMOs. And one of the main reasons i enjoy Phantasy Star.

Of course, we have the problem of bosses dying after 30 seconds of whacking, but....yeah. : /

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 01:13 AM
Personally, I'd rather have a long, drawn-out boss fight that actually requires some strategy and team cooperation than another De Ragan reskin that can die as soon as everyone spams their SUV and Anga Jabroga moves... :rolleyes:

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 01:17 AM
Hopefully this will be changed by the inclusion of jumping and a better collision engine.

This alone allows them make bosses way more dynamic than in PSO or PSU. Now, the environment can actually be factored into the equation.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 01:21 AM
funny I thought mmo bosses had so much health because it's easier to say a boss is challenging if it takes you 10 minutes-hour to kill it.

Only problem I've ever had with bosses is that at some point they start getting reskinned.

I also liked how most pso and some psu bosses would have zelda like "strategies" where you'd have to hit them at the right pattern on a weak spot.

Spamming buffs and debuffs, and having someone tank for 30 minutes only to get no rare item drops = why am I playing this game again?

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 01:44 AM
Spamming buffs and debuffs, and having someone tank for 30 minutes only to get no rare item drops = why am I playing this game again?

Well, they're called "rares" for a reason... it wouldn't seem right if everyone and their grandma had a Dark Flow, for example. This was a big problem in PSU: whenever an event took place, certain drops became common as hell and flooded the market to the point where, if you didn't have one, you were essentially limiting your strength (despite the fact that PSU's enemies were mostly easy as fuck regardless of what weapons you DID have). Unlike PSO, PSU's weapons (at least, when I was still playing) were simply a matter of stat-stacking; there were no special abilities or perks built into them, and if they did have them, they were mostly useless, or there was just a stronger weapon of the same type. No point in getting a Meteor Cannon when you can easily buy an Adahna Cannon in someone's shop with rather easily obtainable meseta, right?

That leads me to another issue: certain items should just be account-bound or limited to 1 copy per account, period. The 3 Edil weapons did this, I believe, and FF11 had a similar system with a lot of its items. Essentially, certain rare items you could only have 1 copy of, and/or you couldn't trade or sell them to other people. This helped keep people from easily buying the best items in the game that someone spent months trying to get the hard way, or was associated with a specific quest. I think WoW also had a similar system called "soulbinding" (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never played it) to where if a rare item dropped to you, and you equipped the item, it couldn't be sold or traded. However, if you decided NOT to equip it instead, you could still sell or trade it. I think PSO2 would greatly benefit from a similar system, especially if Section ID's are brought back.

All that said though, I wouldn't want to go through the monotony of something short, instanced, and predictable like White Beast runs every 10 minutes over and over just to hunt something down... partially why I wanted to see an actual world map system for each planet, so people could roam around and explore, but still fight random monsters along the way and get items.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 01:50 AM
Things like White Beast and TTF can be annulled by just making the missions only able to be run at certian times (weekends, events), or simply make them rare missions.

Hopefully this game doesn't DO mission rewards, and spawns are random enough to not give incentive to spam them.

SephirothXer0
Apr 25, 2011, 01:51 AM
About the items, I actually like trading rares with my friends. They find stuff they can't use and give it to me, and vise versa. Of course I always played offline splitscreen, so neither of us had to worry about clones or dupes, but we were really bummed that PSP2 didn't let us trade any rares at all. I kept finding the stuff he wanted, he kept finding the stuff I wanted, and there was nothing we could do about it but grind some more. Really annoying.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah, PSP2 not allowing trade was the stupidest thing on earth. It really killed alot of the fun.

Shadownami92
Apr 25, 2011, 01:55 AM
Would be fun if they made bosses like the monsters in Monster Hunter. those things could take more than 30 minutes, but they were super dynamic. Especially when another big monster would enter the scene.

Of course with the ability to jump you can get a lot more variation with the bosses, so many fun possibilities.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 01:59 AM
Well, they're called "rares" for a reason... it wouldn't seem right if everyone and their grandma had a Dark Flow, for example. This was a big problem in PSU: whenever an event took place, certain drops became common as hell and flooded the market to the point where, if you didn't have one, you were essentially limiting your strength (despite the fact that PSU's enemies were mostly easy as fuck regardless of what weapons you DID have). Unlike PSO, PSU's weapons (at least, when I was still playing) were simply a matter of stat-stacking; there were no special abilities or perks built into them, and if they did have them, they were mostly useless, or there was just a stronger weapon of the same type. No point in getting a Meteor Cannon when you can easily buy an Adahna Cannon in someone's shop with rather easily obtainable meseta, right?

That leads me to another issue: certain items should just be account-bound or limited to 1 copy per account, period. The 3 Edil weapons did this, I believe, and FF11 had a similar system with a lot of its items. Essentially, certain rare items you could only have 1 copy of, and/or you couldn't trade or sell them to other people. This helped keep people from easily buying the best items in the game that someone spent months trying to get the hard way, or was associated with a specific quest. I think WoW also had a similar system called "soulbinding" (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never played it) to where if a rare item dropped to you, and you equipped the item, it couldn't be sold or traded. However, if you decided NOT to equip it instead, you could still sell or trade it. I think PSO2 would greatly benefit from a similar system, especially if Section ID's are brought back.

All that said though, I wouldn't want to go through the monotony of something short, instanced, and predictable like White Beast runs every 10 minutes over and over just to hunt something down... partially why I wanted to see an actual world map system for each planet, so people could roam around and explore, but still fight random monsters along the way and get items.

I only read enough to get the gist of this, sorry if I missed something since I'm about to go to sleep.

I'm just gonna say, long ass boss fights, not fun, girl you crazy.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 02:07 AM
MMOs that have long fights and call them "hard" are just compensating.

You know, the same way F2P MMOs give asinine EXP curves and drop rates and call the game "hard".

It isn't "hard". It's just tedious. Yeah, it does a good job of separating high tier from low tier, but in the end it was just the lazy way out.

IT's different in a game like PSO/U, where a boss can be given higher health on top of high stats in order to test your survivability and strain your limited resources. But after a certain level of prolonging, it just gets annoying.

Goukezitsu
Apr 25, 2011, 02:43 AM
Well I saw people complaining about the Skinny curved spined newman so i quickly shopped a less skinny straighter spined one for comparison I guess. See which one you like more lol.

[spoiler-box]http://oi51.tinypic.com/24446xi.jpg[/spoiler-box]

FirefoxKyuubi
Apr 25, 2011, 03:19 AM
Ranger looks real fun, it actually looks so enjoyable to play with. it really looks like Monster hunter/Lost planet mix and that's not a bad thing at all. I can't tell you how much of a refreshing look that is to see seriously...I'm excited for this game. just hope it release is a globally.

Shadownami92
Apr 25, 2011, 03:34 AM
Well I saw people complaining about the Skinny curved spined newman so i quickly shopped a less skinny straighter spined one for comparison I guess. See which one you like more lol.

[spoiler-box]http://oi51.tinypic.com/24446xi.jpg[/spoiler-box]

That looks kinda strange too though since it's lacks hips and whatnot.

Here is a little photoshopping I did for my idea of what it could be like.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/I4ZkK.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

FirefoxKyuubi
Apr 25, 2011, 03:36 AM
I don't know about anybody else but I'm just hoping to see major changing in the game as far as item drops. you can spam a whole day on a mission and not get a single thing, but I'm not going to go into detail with any of that. what I will say is that I would like to see more Account bounding items due to the fact that actually earning it in the game would be more exciting. "Guess what this guy/girl wanna sell a Rank S weapon that's 200*'s 10/10 for 999 Gold bars." is simply a turn off and even a bigger turn off for PSU. now I'm not saying that every item in the game should be account bound but there has to at lease be some incentive behind earning things. Yes we all play to earn money to buy better things that's with any MMO, and that's fine its part of the MMO experience. at lease for me account bounding = fun.

I do like the way gunner looks now. as I said before it looks...actually fun. Moving around kinda in a Lost planet fashion is exciting vs PSU every gun nearly shoot the same but not really. and by the looks of things I'm not sad that there isn't anymore races. What I would like to see is more Fashion, more hairstyles, More body types. (for the love of god) and more personality to my character. Overall it looks like a very fun and exciting game to play seriously. I almost doubted sega completely.

Hansha
Apr 25, 2011, 03:39 AM
I know one thing, it sure doesn't look boring to play. I might actually invest time in this one =D

GameKyuubi
Apr 25, 2011, 05:37 AM
Account binding is stupid. Especially with Section IDs. The whole point of Section IDs is to encourage trade. And it's not like there's ever been a marketplace in these games anyway. Add to that the fact that cash is practically worthless, and you have a non-issue.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 25, 2011, 05:52 AM
This isn't PSO.

We don't know if Section IDs are making a return (and even if they were, we don't know how they'll function) and its far too soon to say just how useless/ful meseta would be.

I think someone mentioned a while back of the idea that quest rewards should be account/character bound and I like that idea. Other than that, trade restrictions won't affect too much of my play-time, so long as I can actually trade and store items for alts a la PSP2/i.

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 06:04 AM
Account binding is stupid. Especially with Section IDs. The whole point of Section IDs is to encourage trade.

And that won't be a problem if something like the soulbinding system is implemented. The point of account binding is so that people can't just get a ton of money and buy up the best items in the game when the person who originally found said items busted their ass for them. All people would have to do (besides finding things legitly) is just not equip the items they find right away and decide whether or not it's worth keeping for their own characters.

And not all items would have to be account bound, just the hard-to-get ones that deserve it, like rares and quest-related stuff. That B-rank saber you bought at the NPC store? I don't see the point of something like that being account bound because anyone could get it relatively easily anyway.

And it's not like there's ever been a marketplace in these games anyway.

PSU had player shops in which you could search for whatever you wanted, BY LOWEST PRICE even. How would that not count as a marketplace?

Perhaps you meant something like FF11's auction house, where people place bids on items? While I wouldn't be opposed to that idea, I'd prefer just having player shops because you'd be able to actually see how much you need to pay for something, rather than look at a history of bids, which may or may not be accurate.

Add to that the fact that cash is practically worthless, and you have a non-issue.

PSU's meseta became worthless because of people who exploited duping and grinder glitching (and selling said grinders), and because of Sega for adding higher meseta drops in AotI, and later on, Gold Bars, not to mention all the storage space in which you could store multiple stacks of it. As of right now, we don't know how the currency in PSO2 will be weighed, or even if we'll have player shops at all, although it'd be stupid not to.

Corey Blue
Apr 25, 2011, 06:49 AM

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/I4ZkK.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Now that look's sexier imo,but I'm sure they'll fix it before the release.

funkyskunk
Apr 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
I see PA spam and no chaining. I'm skeptical :/

SephirothXer0
Apr 25, 2011, 08:08 AM
I see PA spam and no chaining. I'm skeptical :/

Do you know if what you're looking at is a PA or just a regular heavy attack? There's nothing very flashy at all in the video. Most of it is regular combos.

I'm thinking the Light and Heavy attack system is back from PSO.

Aumi
Apr 25, 2011, 08:14 AM

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/I4ZkK.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Now the hip and legs are just unnaturally fat in comparison to the rest of her body.

Adriano
Apr 25, 2011, 08:15 AM
And not all items would have to be account bound, just the hard-to-get ones that deserve it, like rares and quest-related stuff. That B-rank saber you bought at the NPC store? I don't see the point of something like that being account bound because anyone could get it relatively easily anyway.

This is a horrible idea.
I hated it in champions online, I definitely don't want it in any of my PS-games.
Part of the replay value of these Phantasy Star Online games that Sonic Team was banking off of was being able to find/make an uber/useful weapon, then if you're not satisfied with the stats of it, %/grinds what have you, then you can continue using it until you find a better one.

If it were bound upon equip, that would erase the subscription $$$ they'd be getting from players wasting their lives for a few extra months looking for that A++ 50% Hit Red Sword, or synthing that 50% Agito Repca.
Which isn't something I think they would be willing to do anyway.

funkyskunk
Apr 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
Do you know if what you're looking at is a PA or just a regular heavy attack? There's nothing very flashy at all in the video. Most of it is regular combos.

I'm thinking the Light and Heavy attack system is back from PSO.

Yeah now I watch again, I think I see what you mean. Maybe PA's will be weapon bound now with different weapons having different PA's as those heavy attacks certainly can't be the default attacks? I hope not anyway.

I can certainly see myself playing this when it comes out but for how long will remain to be seen, I'm currently not really that excited gameplay wise with what I am seeing. It seems to be a bit of a mash of PSO with all the generic PS3/X360 kinda shit we get nowadays (FPS/3rd Person). Good for SEGA and 90% of todays gamers but I won't be passing much cash into it. I just hope there's more to this than meets the eye.

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
This is a horrible idea.
I hated it in champions online, I definitely don't want it in any of my PS-games.
Part of the replay value of these Phantasy Star Online games that Sonic Team was banking off of was being able to find/make an uber/useful weapon, then if you're not satisfied with the stats of it, %/grinds what have you, then you can continue using it until you find a better one.

I don't see how having an account-bound item would prevent you from looking for better stuff...

If the issue is whether or not newer items would make your previous account-bound items obsolete and unable to be traded or sold, then I'd say just design the items so that they have unique perks and aren't just a matter of stat-stacking. As I mentioned before, this was something PSU took a step backwards in compared to PSO, because the vast majority of the weapons didn't do anything unique besides look pretty. Sure, you could tack on special abilities and extra damage vs. certain enemy types, but you could also have things like how much reach the weapon has, how fast it can attack compared to other weapons of the same type, alternate or unique attacks specific to that weapon (rifles that have a built-in grenade launcher like in the video, or a bayonet for melee attacks, for example), etc.

If it were bound upon equip, that would erase the subscription $$$ they'd be getting from players wasting their lives for a few extra months looking for that A++ 50% Hit Red Sword, or synthing that 50% Agito Repca.
Which isn't something I think they would be willing to do anyway.

How would it cause Sega to lose revenue when players have to "waste their lives" and actually go through difficult quests and EARN their items? It's stupid if all someone has to do to get the best items in the game is just dump a ton of money into their character by selling everything and spend 5 minutes in player shops looking for a shop in which some doofus forgot to tack on an extra zero at the end of his price tag. Players should be rewarded for their hard work and persistence, not have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That's just poor game design... like playing with a Gameshark with all the cheats turned on. Sure, it's amusing at first, but it's unfulfilling and provides no challenge or long-term replay value.

I also don't see how account-binding a weapon would prevent you from upgrading it. Of course, we still don't know what Sega has in store as far as that's concerned.

*EDIT* - Why is this topic in PSU General now???

GameKyuubi
Apr 25, 2011, 02:23 PM
And that won't be a problem if something like the soulbinding system is implemented. The point of account binding is so that people can't just get a ton of money and buy up the best items in the game when the person who originally found said items busted their ass for them. All people would have to do (besides finding things legitly) is just not equip the items they find right away and decide whether or not it's worth keeping for their own characters.

Then how does that solve the problem? If you can tek an item to see what it is and THEN sell it, it doesn't change anything other than not being able to try the weapon out. You still know which weapon it is and its stats. You would HAVE to in order to value it for trade or sale. Which actually only hurts the players who can't find the weapons and buy them because they can't re-sell them when they get something better.

It doesn't solve anything. The people who "busted their ass" to find the items generally have more money and better items than the people they're selling to (otherwise they'd keep and use the item). The stuff that usually goes on the market is stuff that got outclassed because the player found something better or just can't use the item. And finally, if the player really "busted their ass" to get the item JUST TO SELL IT, they would have alot of money coming their way anyway if it really is good and hard to find. Why would you deprive that person the joy of using the item for a little while?

If the issue is whether or not newer items would make your previous account-bound items obsolete and unable to be traded or sold, then I'd say just design the items so that they have unique perks and aren't just a matter of stat-stacking. As I mentioned before, this was something PSU took a step backwards in compared to PSO, because the vast majority of the weapons didn't do anything unique besides look pretty. Sure, you could tack on special abilities and extra damage vs. certain enemy types, but you could also have things like how much reach the weapon has, how fast it can attack compared to other weapons of the same type, alternate or unique attacks specific to that weapon (rifles that have a built-in grenade launcher like in the video, or a bayonet for melee attacks, for example), etc.

This is dumb. That's why there are different weapon types. They do different things. Having a different purpose for each and every single weapon is silly. PSO got this right, in that there were some cases where you'd keep a weapon around even though it was outclassed by another of the same type because it had some odd function, but that didn't prevent weapons from being outclassed. This was stupid in PSU because you had the urge to keep like 5 copies of a weapon around because of its different elemental affinity, and then ended up not using it at all because it was too much trouble to keep all that junk in your inventory, only to have ALL of those copies outclassed by another weapon you find in the next area with a little better attack.

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
Then how does that solve the problem? If you can tek an item to see what it is and THEN sell it, it doesn't change anything other than not being able to try the weapon out. You still know which weapon it is and its stats. You would HAVE to in order to value it for trade or sale. Which actually only hurts the players who can't find the weapons and buy them because they can't re-sell them when they get something better.

It doesn't solve anything. The people who "busted their ass" to find the items generally have more money and better items than the people they're selling to (otherwise they'd keep and use the item). The stuff that usually goes on the market is stuff that got outclassed because the player found something better or just can't use the item. And finally, if the player really "busted their ass" to get the item JUST TO SELL IT, they would have alot of money coming their way anyway if it really is good and hard to find. Why would you deprive that person the joy of using the item for a little while?

You could always keep the first copy you find, and sell off the others, unless they're better. That's what I always did. And personally, I never hunted rares solely to sell them; I hunted them in order to get better items than what I already had. If I found something that I didn't need out of coincidence, then yeah, then I might sell it, but I'd usually save it for a friend or give it to one of my alts. Hunting an item down just to sell it would suggest that you've already found a copy for yourself in the first place, or you're just looking for a get-rich-quick scheme.

And saying that people who work for their items have more resources isn't an entirely accurate assumption. Some people just get lucky and randomly find things without hunting them. Or, some people may end up exhausting all of their resources on a very difficult run and return with nothing; I remember running out of meseta once in the pre-AotI days of PSU trying to fund supplies while soloing for a Degahna Cannon board. I could probably say I was underleveled now, but people still go after such things.

As for trading/selling old items you've already bound to your account... yeah, I could see some concern there. Perhaps you could still sell it to the NPC if you really needed the money. At least that way, you could still get something out of it, and players could get an "appraisal" of sorts to use as future reference, should they find another copy of that item and decide to sell it in their player shops. But still, you can get money in a game anywhere; you can only find a rare item in specific places.

My biggest concern for even implementing an account-binding system at all is so that players can't circumvent the necessary effort needed to obtain rare items, and I don't really know of a better system to achieve that. If you have any better ideas, I'm all ears.

This is dumb. That's why there are different weapon types. They do different things. Having a different purpose for each and every single weapon is silly. PSO got this right, in that there were some cases where you'd keep a weapon around even though it was outclassed by another of the same type because it had some odd function, but that didn't prevent weapons from being outclassed. This was stupid in PSU because you had the urge to keep like 5 copies of a weapon around because of its different elemental affinity, and then ended up not using it at all because it was too much trouble to keep all that junk in your inventory, only to have ALL of those copies outclassed by another weapon you find in the next area with a little better attack.

Having multiple, different-element copies of a weapon in PSU wasn't a problem for me because of the vast amount of storage space you could acquire. I don't see why so many people liked to keep all of their weapons and armor in their character's inventory rather than their room and just switch them out for whichever mission they were doing... all that did was limit the amount of loot you could obtain, which you could also sell off for money. That, and it was even easier for gunners and techers, since they could just link different bullets or techs to change their element.

As for different weapon types fulfilling different roles, sure, I understand that. I just don't see why that they, along with character classes, always have to be pidgeonholed into specific roles ALL the time. Sure, I'm definitely going to be trying to find the strongest guns for my RAcast, but at the same time, I enjoy some versatility with what my characters can do. Maybe I don't want to PEW PEW all the time; maybe I want a gun that can also utilize certain melee attacks for when enemies get too close, like a bayonet stab that counts as piercing damage (like with a spear), or smacking something Halo-style with the butt end of the gun that counts as blunt damage (like a rod or wand), instead of having to resort to switching to a melee weapon which my class doesn't fully support... stuff like that to really enrich the gameplay. Maybe there's a FOmar out there that wants to use a spear... or a HUnewearl who wants to use a big gun. Sure, there'd be balancing issues involved, especially with hybrid classes, but I don't really see the point in denying them that option and not allowing for "oddballs" among weapons (a spear just for Forces, a rifle just for Hunters, etc.), if that's how they want to enjoy the game.

*EDIT* - Looks like the topic got moved back now... that was weird.

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2011, 04:04 PM
Then how does that solve the problem? If you can tek an item to see what it is and THEN sell it, it doesn't change anything other than not being able to try the weapon out.
No, it "phases out" the item from the economy.

With ZERO BINDING, as in NONE AT ALL, the economy is eventually flooded with copies of items as people just throw out their old ones because there is no restriction on trading them. Eventually, the item becomes completely worthless.

Binding prevents this by taking items out of the economy once they are used. If you're using a bound weapon and then find a better one, instead of allowing you to hand it down to someone else, you just throw it away (or sell it as vendor trash).

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
Account binding is really dumb and an awful idea.

That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Ishia
Apr 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
Account-binding is indeed really dumb, except for the Edel weapons on PSU. Those are the only items that should have been account-bound. Maybe the Great Arms Race weapons too.

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
Also, you need to differentiate from "bind on pick-up" and "bind on equip". The former means NO TRADING AT ALL, while the latter means no trading once used. Biiiiiig difference.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
One is only marginally less dumb than the other. Smaaaaaaaall difference.

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2011, 04:15 PM
What, really?

Explain to me how it's good for the economy to have an infinitely expanding supply of hand-me-downs.

Please do.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
The PSO market was just completely saturated with Psycho Wands, Guld Millas, and Sealed J-Swords, right?

LightWing
Apr 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to say how super amazing all the screenshots looked. :D

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
Account binding is really dumb and an awful idea.

That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Account-binding is indeed really dumb, except for the Edel weapons on PSU. Those are the only items that should have been account-bound. Maybe the Great Arms Race weapons too.

Sorry, but I think rare items being so common that everyone and their grandma has one is even more dumb. It defeats the purpose of them being "rare" in the first place. I'd even go so far as to say that it encourages elitism ("ur a noob, u don't even have a _____ yet, they're only 50 stacks. u fail at this game" *boot* ).

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:23 PM
Right. The solution is to make high-end rares rarer, not to prevent people from trading one for another.

I'd even go so far as to say that it encourages elitism ("ur a noob, u don't even have a _____ yet, they're only 50 stacks. u fail at this game" *boot* ).These people are morons and you lose out on absolutely nothing by not playing with them.

Zyrusticae
Apr 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
Right. The solution is to make high-end rares rarer, not to prevent people from trading one for another.
No, that just reduces the occurrence of even seeing them at all in the first place.

Binding allows them to have a reasonably high drop rate such that you actually SEE the items on other players and thus can actually develop the desire to acquire one of your own, and have a reasonably high chance of doing so.

NOT having any sort of binding means the drop rate has to be so incredibly tiny that you have to be either really lucky to see it or wait for someone to get something better so they can hand it down on the market or something. At which point it's no longer that desirable anyways.

Alternatively, we get the PSU situation where rares are no longer rare. Binding fixes both of these issues.

goldbrease
Apr 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
Now that look's sexier imo,but I'm sure they'll fix it before the release.

no now she looks like she is 4 months pregnant.

The PSO market was just completely saturated with Psycho Wands, Guld Millas, and Sealed J-Swords, right?

this was from duping thou.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
Everybody has really good rares so to fix this we should make everything account bound but we should keep drop rates way too high so that everybody has really good rares.

You aren't making any sense.

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 04:30 PM

That could work, but if the game has a bunch of easy, repetitive "I can solo this in 10 minutes" runs, it'd get annoying and old gameplay-wise spamming the hell out of them looking for such an item, and possibly discourage people from even doing so... unless they don't have a life, lol. Kinda why I wanted some bigass, free-roaming maps for each planet - to keep the gameplay from becoming too routine-like and allow for exploration.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
That's a whole other can of worms, right there. The downside to the instances is that they do get repetitive, but the upside is that nothing is really very time consuming. I kind of value that last aspect of the series.

goldbrease
Apr 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
That could work, but if the game has a bunch of easy, repetitive "I can solo this in 10 minutes" runs, it'd get annoying and old gameplay-wise spamming the hell out of them looking for such an item, and possibly discourage people from even doing so... unless they don't have a life, lol. Kinda why I wanted some bigass, free-roaming maps for each planet - to keep the gameplay from becoming too routine-like and allow for exploration.

i agree, i want to actualy rendered worldsto explore, cities to run around, npcs to talk to. not tiny lobbies and photon bean bags or little hubs you have to run to and from.

I would like a return of personal rooms, but make them houses, and allow us to place more stuff with less limitations.

i don't mind if crafting comes back but don't do the stupid chance system or elemental %s, pso played fine without elemental %s.

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
I don't see why they couldn't implement FF11/WoW/Oblivion-sized world maps and still have instanced areas in them, where parties could possibly form up to do quests and what-not. But then again, I doubt Sega would implement something that cool... :rolleyes:

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
I think you'll find that at least a good half of the fan base would really hate that idea, and that is why SEGA won't do it.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
The idea of hunting is to do multiple runs. Having fun with it is completely up to you. If it's a specific area in a specific quest, then yeah, it's gonna get boring. If it's like one section of an area, go through the whole area. Ya might find other stuff along the way.

goldbrease
Apr 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
I don't see why they couldn't implement FF11/WoW/Oblivion-sized world maps and still have instanced areas in them, where parties could possibly form up to do quests and what-not. But then again, I doubt Sega would implement something that cool... :rolleyes:

everything is partioned off in thoes games, no i want an open world like vanguard, or even that stupid eqoa, I can run from a city into a forest into a marsh threw a dungeon into a cave, into a valley and then into another city with no loading screens. i don't have to load into chuncks, i can freely travel the boundaries without a waiting for town to load screen.