PDA

View Full Version : Any word that PSO2 is even coming to the US?

Alazar313
Apr 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
How do we know that PSO2 is coming to the US/EU.

I have done some searches online looking for any signs of a US release, and read the first 2 pages of posts here trying to find any evidence of this.

Is there any evidence as of right now that could be used to assume there will be a US release? or is it all just fan speculation at this time?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
None yet.

It will, though. The only question is whether or not servers will be separated again.

Ark22
Apr 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
Servers are not separated.Sega said so themselves

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Let's put it this way. The "Global support" that showed up for half a second in the announcement trailer could mean anything. It's likely just there to cause speculation and hype.

Also, ask yourself this. Why would they announce global servers before even confirming that the game will be released outside Japan?

Ark22
Apr 24, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hey stay on the topic sir D=<.Anyways I read somewhere Sega is Merging the servers.I believe they will,if not,then oh well as long as I have this game.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
Let's see if that's what they meant with "Global Servers"....

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hey stay on the topic sir D=<.Anyways I read somewhere Sega is Merging the servers.I believe they will,if not,then oh well as long as I have this game.

They mention Global support, but don't bother saying it will come out outside JP? Doesn't look like what you think it means.

Though that's not to say it won't end up like that... if on PS3. If on 360 better thank Microsoft for not making it possible.

Ark22
Apr 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
If it is a Global server,they will most likely have a worldwide release like FF14.Would make no sense if the Japanese are level 140 then the US gets it and we are just like....wow seriously?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
Aaaaaaand you have just hit upon why the game probably will not have global servers.

Pat yourself on the back. You have learned something about inductive reasoning today.

rezakon
Apr 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
If it is a Global server,they will most likely have a worldwide release like FF14.Would make no sense if the Japanese are level 140 then the US gets it and we are just like....wow seriously?

This is basically what happened with FF11, worked out poorly.

Alazar313
Apr 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
This is basically what happened with FF11, worked out poorly.

Actually as a 7 year player (still going strong) of FFXI as my main MMO my experience was positive in that respect. It depends on what you are looking to accomplish, If you want to be the first pioneer to figure something out in the game I can see how that would be unfavorable to you. However to me it was WAY funner to jump into the game after a lot of the rough edges had been patched / fixed well after the JP release. I also enjoyed not being completely frustrated trying to figure out how to take down some mobs, or which NM drops what item, and boy was I happy to not have to figure out where in the zone's are the best camps. I have a few JP friends who were there on day 1 of JP release and the game was a horrible mess, tons of disbanded parties in attempts to exp, tons of DC's due to server connection problems, and with lacking content at the level cap.

In the same sense when I started PSO for the first time ever on release day back on ps2 I was really bored after about 3 weeks and quit, then when I returned a year and a half later the game kept me interested for almost 8 months before I called it. There was just more variety then.

And I don't mean to play devil's advocate here but "Global" servers in other mmorpg games have not always represented simultaneous release dates. In fact in most cases that's rarely the case.

If they set up PSO2 to have as much or near as much content and variety as PSU had (But a bit more balanced so people don't run the same mission over and over again). Then that would be an awesome starting point. However if they decide to release the game and only give players 10 or so missions to run that would get old rather quickly.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 02:04 AM
Anyway, "global support" can mean anything from merged servers to simply global support. You know, the way PSU is hosted in more than one region? Just another vague detail we'll need them to clarify for us in due time.

Not like it matters. Our version will never match the japanese version. They just aren't willing to put in that kind of work, as they've proven on countless circumstances. (the most recent of which being PSP2, and infinity, which we 1) haven't even officially heard of yet and 2) will never get events on the caliber of the JP version.)

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
I've kind of outgrown the whole global servers or no game mindset.

I kind of can't explain how that could still possibly mean we won't be screwed over though.

Corey Blue
Apr 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
[B]Anyway, "global support" can mean anything from merged servers to simply global support. You know, the way PSU is hosted in more than one region? Just another vague detail we'll need them to clarify for us in due time on countless circumstances. (the most recent of which being PSP2, and infinity, which we 1) haven't even officially heard of yet and 2) will never get events on the caliber of the JP version.)

I don't even know why they would say Global support when we know were going to get the game anyway.This is being made for the pc it's a high possibility they could have global servers.Also I'm pretty sure SEGA wouldn't be stupid enough to count us out again this time..I could be wrong though and they just don't give a fuck,but seriously I hope they've learned there lesson.This game will fail if we have to count on Edward and SEGA JP to push out updates,then it's PSU all over again.:-? (they should know somethings wrong when they see US players on their servers.) I gotta stop ranting,it just pisses me off but when they separate us then treat us like shit.I can see if they separate us and their keeping a steady pace in updates,but their not so fuck SEGA if they do that.I'll give them a chance though.

Para
Apr 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think there should be no question that the international community should be separated or not. PSO and PSU has a pretty good track record of a lagless online play or rather a gameplay where it does not impact client side (stuttering, monsters bouncing around etc.) so latency should not be an issue.

Not to mention if everyone remembers how big the population was on PSU NA and why it diminished. If we (North American) received the same level of support from SEGA as the Japanese people received, SEGA would retain a much bigger population and thus generate more revenue over time.

The question is that how does SEGA management change the setup they have for support within the organization. Will they merge the teams together to create a more efficient support team together?

I suspect E3 will hold more information for us.

Galax
Apr 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
Is PSO2 getting released outside of Japan?
I'd say yes.
I ask you this; What reason is there for SEGA to NOT release it to US/EU?

If they keep it JP-Exclusive, they're going to have a lot of angry ex-fans.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty sure SEGA wouldn't be stupid enoughFamous last words.

PSO and PSU has a pretty good track record of a lagless online play or rather a gameplay where it does not impact client side (stuttering, monsters bouncing around etc.) so latency should not be an issue.Haha, oh man, that's a good one.

Pickleahoy
Apr 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Dont care about a global server, what I really want is a minimal difference between what gets released in JP and NA.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
The only way that will happen is with a global server.

Corey Blue
Apr 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Dont care about a global server, what I really want is a minimal difference between what gets released in JP and NA.

Better care about Global then,but who knows I wouldn't care if it was global as long as they keep up with the updates,and were not a year behind,that's fucking ridiculous I don't even know how that even happened,fucking nexon does better and their F2P.I've heard that's not even a SoA anymore the don't exist,they better join us with JP or watch the servers die again on the first month of release. (but this time they'll really die,like empty die.) People wallet's are going are to do the talking.

Mantiskilla
Apr 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
Is PSO2 getting released outside of Japan?
I'd say yes.
I ask you this; What reason is there for SEGA to NOT release it to US/EU?

If they keep it JP-Exclusive, they're going to have a lot of angry ex-fans.

While I believe this statement to be true....has it stopped them before from not releasing it in US/EU? Honestly I don't think they really could give a damn. I do believe that it will be released in US/EU anyway

Zimbabwe
Apr 25, 2011, 06:37 PM
(they should know somethings wrong when they see US players on their servers.)

This, definitely.

eclipsXe
Apr 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
I was thinking about this too though, I mean we still don't have a release date for PSP2I but Japan is already announcing PSO2 D: I blame Sega Of America.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 06:49 PM
Yes, yes. Blame the people who have zero control over the matter and are essentially just glorified PR men.

eclipsXe
Apr 25, 2011, 07:02 PM
Yes, yes. Blame the people who have zero control over the matter and are essentially just glorified PR men.

YES RAGE WITH ME MY FRIEND, I'm just playing but seriously I would not doubt if they said "This will not be released outside of Japan" I don't expect it but I wouldn't be surprised.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
If we don't get an english version of this game to begin with, I don't even know if I'd want to "IMPORT" it, I'd just see it as...the biggest F U sega could ever give to their english speaking fanbase, after all the crap they already put us through. and I'll probably never buy another sega game ever again, which should be easy if I avoided sonic for the past 6 years.

Have fun, people that have patience/can speak japanese. :\

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 07:16 PM
Well after seeing PSO2,I don't think alot of american would WANT PSP2i....I mean..I know I don't,a story plus olga flow is all I see oh and rebirth.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
It better be.. I will import the game if I have to... But hopefully someone writes a walkthrough on how to get a Hunter License if there's a Hunter's License to pay for to play the game online..

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
IF I get psp2i....I would beat olga flow then be like...PSO2 PSO2 PSO2

Korten12
Apr 25, 2011, 08:01 PM
Even if it doesn't come out for consoles, I really hope it at least comes out in the US.

Though does SEGA still have that slight anti-western I remember others saying on the PSU forums..?

HyperShot-X-
Apr 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
so yeah, GLOBAL SERVER is the way to go(not necessarily simultaneous releases on multi-platforms), so we can all play togather on pc/ps3/xbox360. Find a way to make it happen no matter what it takes as it's not impossible.

If monthly billing is the problem then do away with it and replace it with different model such as having hunters license code(for ex.) that comes with a full game to play online on Sega's global server but no billing acct for monthly recurring fees and instead release expansion pack or sequal every year as a full game to purchase that can be linked to the original code.

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:36 PM
I think we all agree that we'd like global servers, but what about shared servers among PC and other consoles, should they decide to make it for the Xbox 360 and whatnot?

-Wayu

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
PS3 would be fine, 360 would never happen because Microsoft.

But it is best to stay away from consoles entirely if we can.

Evila
Apr 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Throwing in another variable like that just makes the chances of global service and concurrent updates even less likely. It's a nice idea but just doesn't work well (or at all) in practice because of Xbox Live and PSN shenanigans.

I really don't want this topic to go in that direction though. So uh... yeah.

Maybe we'll get some word of an English language release at E3 or something.

HyperShot-X-
Apr 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
I think it's an outdated mentality to 'stay away from consoles' on the same network server with pc. It's been done before on other game and if some console feataures have to be sacrificed to find a way around and make it work then so be it.

So far, PSO2 doesn't look like anything that can't be handled on current gen consoles these days. Not to mention potential profit and long term benefit of larger player base on consoles far outweighs any obstacles to make it happen.

Para
Apr 25, 2011, 10:49 PM
PS3 would be fine, 360 would never happen because Microsoft.

But it is best to stay away from consoles entirely if we can.

I quite agree with the statement best to stay away from consoles. I rather SEGA save money by staying on consoles and developing on one platform rather than multi platform. They are trying to stretch their expectations a bit too much by going multi platform. Stick with PC and perfect it first. Build the franchise up from PC before considering going back to consoles.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:52 PM
So far, PSO2 doesn't look like anything that can't be handled on current gen consoles these days.
If you think graphics has anything to do with it, then you've completely missed the point.

The problem is thus: if you have a game on one platform, it is much easier to update and maintain than if it is on two platforms. This is compounded when considering online infrastructures that are controlled completely by console manufacturers. Whether or not they could handle it, it is still a few extra steps. Fewer steps means things are easier to manage means faster updates and more reliable support.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
They wasted money on Sonic lol,they will not stay away from consoles.If they have the same game just different OS's they can pull that off,just look at DCUO,6 gbs of update...6 GBS!And the servers aren't even conjoined

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 25, 2011, 11:41 PM
I hope Canada gets it too, not everything in the States makes it up here, like Cheese Burger Flavored Doritos and hurricanes.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 11:47 PM
I hope Canada gets it too, not everything in the States makes it up here, like Cheese Burger Flavored Doritos and hurricanes.

I dunno why but I find this post awesome...

I Americans could be as cool as Canadians but without our country being boring. D:

HyperShot-X-
Apr 26, 2011, 12:32 AM
If you think graphics has anything to do with it, then you've completely missed the point.

The problem is thus: if you have a game on one platform, it is much easier to update and maintain than if it is on two platforms. This is compounded when considering online infrastructures that are controlled completely by console manufacturers. Whether or not they could handle it, it is still a few extra steps. Fewer steps means things are easier to manage means faster updates and more reliable support.
I am fully aware of difficulties and complications of the past in handling and managing multi-platforms on same server but back to my original point, they better have come up with some kind of 'frame work' of their own by now to compete in today's market that'd make GLOBAL SERVER possible even for consoles with minimal effort required to port over contents instead of rewriting codes for each console version for every update.

Maybe they need to re-evaluate the traditional monthly-fee-recurring-billing account with bi/tri-weekly content updates+maintenance with occcasional events and redundant seasonal lobby change system that gets boring after 1st year, replace that whole system with bulk of content releases in the form of expansion or stand alone sequel every 6 months or a year and do away with monthly fees for once, kinda like the old PSO days. This would also mean eliminating lvl cap raises and drip feeding contents, etc. as in PSU that some ppl despised so much in the past and no more worries with Sega's horrible billing account server issues.

Galax
Apr 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
If they drop monthly fees and it goes to consoles, those who would play on Xbox 360 get screwed over even more. Do you know why XBL Silver members can play PSU online? It has a monthly fee. If they ditch the monthly fee, it'll probably become just another game where you have to have a Gold membership to play online. We don't all have Gold memberships. This is all the more reason to stay away from consoles. At least Xbox.

tl;dr...

Removing Montly Fees
Plus
Consoles
Equals
Bad.
----------------
PSO2
Plus
Consoles
Equals
More money used, harder management and player/tech support, longer waits for updates, and a larger gamble on players sticking with the game. If people decide they don't like it and quit out early, SEGA loses income. If they lose income, they don't get to do as much with the game.

tl;dr again, Sorry, not preparing another.

HyperShot-X-
Apr 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
If they drop monthly fees and it goes to consoles, those who would play on Xbox 360 get screwed over even more. Do you know why XBL Silver members can play PSU online? It has a monthly fee. If they ditch the monthly fee, it'll probably become just another game where you have to have a Gold membership to play online. We don't all have Gold memberships. This is all the more reason to stay away from consoles. At least Xbox.

No, having XBL Silver or Gold got nothing to do with playing on Sega's own server and their own decision on whether to drop the monthly fee business model or not. XBL Gold is just an optional feature like voice chat in party as well as in-game chat. There is really no valid reason to stay away from XBL, as for PSN that's been recently compromised and down for over a week now(quite an unexpected turn of event), that could be a legitimate excuse.

But in order for console ports to happen in good time, PSO2 on pc needs to be a huge success initially(like selling over a mil copies) and relying on JP fan base only confined to pc platform specifically would limit the chance and hardly defines their own term "GLOBAL SERVER".

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
No, having XBL Silver or Gold got nothing to do with playing on Sega's own server and their own decision on whether to drop the monthly fee business model or not. XBL Gold is just an optional feature like voice chat in party as well as in-game chat. There is really no valid reason to stay away from XBL, as for PSN that's been recently compromised and down for over a week now(quite an unexpected turn of event), that could be a legitimate excuse.

But in order for console ports to happen in good time, PSO2 on pc needs to be a huge success initially(like selling over a mil copies) and relying on JP fan base only confined to pc platform specifically would limit the chance and hardly defines their own term "GLOBAL SERVER".

Last I checked, PSU is the ONLY GAME that I can play online with Silver. As far as I've seen, that's because it requires a monthly fee. And there were people who still played the demo because they it was free before it got shut down. If they remove the monthly fee, it'll probably end up that any Xbox users would need Gold. As for XBL Gold being optional, it's only optional in the matter that you don't need it to have a gamertag. Other than that, if you wish to do ANYTHING with friends on the majority if games, you need Gold.

A global server could mean that either all console-users can game with each other as well as PC users, or it could mean that US/EU servers aren't seperate from JP servers. It still defines it because there's more than one definition.

As for valid reasons, Xbox-based servers are seemingly incompatible with other servers. Or Microsoft just doesn't let them connect to their competitors servers, even when the game is on Xbox as well as Playstation.

HyperShot-X-
Apr 27, 2011, 09:37 PM
As for valid reasons, Xbox-based servers are seemingly incompatible with other servers. Or Microsoft just doesn't let them connect to their competitors servers, even when the game is on Xbox as well as Playstation.
Sega is not MS's competitor, neither is Square Enix. XBL users are connecting to 3rd party developer's servers, not Sony's, not Nintendo's, not Apple's. I'm not even expecting to interact with or play togather with PSN users but it's not impossible for all to be on one same Global Server that's maintained and supported by Sega. They're just lame excuses to come up as 'valid' reasons not to expand their user base on consoles.

Jinketsu
Apr 27, 2011, 10:22 PM
Actually Square-Enix refused to develop Final Fantasy 14 on the XBox360 because Microsoft wouldn't let them allow free users to connect - nor would they allow even gold members to connect to any servers besides 360-only servers.

The only reason XI got past all that is because at the time Microsoft wanted to promote their system as an online console.

It's the same reason 360 Portal 2 players can't play with Steam or PS3 players, and why PSU servers are still up for 360 players, but not PC or PS2 players.

I wouldn't be surprised - assuming the game gets developed for 360 - that this is the case as well. In which case it'll be very very likely that if Global Servers is what we all want it to mean, 360 users will get the shaft.

HyperShot-X-
Apr 28, 2011, 12:46 AM
in a sense, XBLive is a 'Global' network but when if they ever get to port over PSO2 to 360, they should take a different approach and not make the same retarded mistake again of giving PSU 360 treatment.

The current model of monthly-fee based content updates and microtransaction might work ok on PC platform but it doesn't work too well at all on consoles. For PSO2 on console, there should not be locked contents on disc to begin with and any new content updates should be all rolled up and released in bulk of DLC add-on, all polished up and ported over from pc version.

AztecZombie813
Apr 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
PLEASE let it be here on the states.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
^ I didn't see that avatar, now it's too late to copy it. D:

But yeah...waitin' on that E3 announcement. ]:

Mr Champloo
Apr 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hope so.

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 03:33 PM
They got English subtitles in the trailer,it's gonna make it here don't worry.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 03:36 PM
SEGA translated that themselves? @_@ I've only been watching the youtube version.

I guess that is a pretty good hint, seeing as how it'd be pointless to change it from the original, other than making it HD...

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
I don't know the reason for them doing that,but I'm glad they did,and it makes a global release seem likely,or global servers.. (They teasing us bad putting idea's in our head's..)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
They got English subtitles in the trailer,it's gonna make it here don't worry.Did you see how Engrishy the translations were? This was probably not done for our benefit. It's kind of a thing in Japan to put English in your advertisements and products to look smart, even if said English doesn't make any sense.

Regardless, the game is all but guaranteed to come out elsewhere.

Kion
Apr 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
So far the only term they've thrown out there is "Global Support", which pretty much doesn't mean anything. I suspect that if the game is PC only then that means Sega want's to be free from Sony or Mircosoft's online policies so they can run the servers regardless of region. Knowing Sega though, it wouldn't be a surprise if they decided to fuck the english speaking community like normal. So the only thing we can do is wait for more info and be prepared to play the japanese client if necessary.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
I dunno about global support meaning nothing.

But it definitely means we don't know what it is, other than the fact that it was translated as global support. Also that it better mean the closest thing we suspect, or SEGA's gonna get more english complaints. :0

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 05:19 PM
I dunno about global support meaning nothing.

But it definitely means we don't know what it is, other than the fact that it was translated as global support. Also that it better mean the closest thing we suspect, or SEGA's gonna get more english complaints. :0

I agree it cant just mean nothing,it was in first trailer video,why would they even put that in there (What else could it mean seriously.),and now there making a English translated trailer.(Did they ever do this for PSU?) I mean I'm not trying to jump to conclusions or anything but still,and E3 is right around the corner,I PRAY they say Global servers.

MadDogg
Apr 30, 2011, 07:29 PM
I agree it cant just mean nothing,it was in first trailer video,why would they even put that in there (What else could it mean seriously.),and now there making a English translated trailer.(Did they ever do this for PSU?) I mean I'm not trying to jump to conclusions or anything but still,and E3 is right around the corner,I PRAY they say Global servers.

As a PSO veteran, I agree. This game absolutely must have global linked servers.....because ever since xbox pso episode 1 and 2 on up, I'm pretty much sick of sega of japan's bullshit at this point. (and no, I don't think importing and giving them my money is going to help the situation, to hell with that). If we did manage to get PSO2 released stateside, and if for some reason our version will be released like a damn year after theirs, I'm officially swearing off the PSO series even though I love it, and sticking with whatever online rpgs western devs come up with in the future.

ShinMaruku
Apr 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Given the market in Japan they MUST make it go international. Then again this is Sega...

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2011, 11:19 PM
It should be on the same servers but sectioned off by language where each ship is a certain language. I know on the Dreamcast it was all on the same servers. It was able to translate your messages to each other if it had to. Voice Chat was a different monster with different languages. It was actually fun playing with all the foreign players.

Corey Blue
May 1, 2011, 01:04 AM
They could easily do now too,since it's on pc,and if they can do it on a dreamcast,they can do it on a pc.(There's no excuse.)

PathToGlory
May 1, 2011, 01:54 PM
i have been looking into this for a long time but wanted to know if pso2 will be coming to the us or is it just for japan so far?

•Col•
May 1, 2011, 01:56 PM
Good thing you didn't look in the thread halfway down the first page, or else you may have never found your answer.

PathToGlory
May 1, 2011, 01:58 PM
sry did not see that

Blueblur
May 1, 2011, 02:54 PM
Users with less than 100 posts shouldn't be allowed to make new threads...

Reksanden
May 1, 2011, 02:56 PM
Can't say that's fair, but it's not my decision.

Blueblur
May 1, 2011, 03:35 PM
Can't say that's fair, but it's not my decision.

There's no point to having new threads created daily that ask questions that are already answered in other threads.