PDA

View Full Version : PvP (Player vs Player) ???

Dithrain
Apr 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
PSO's PvP system was a little lacking, and more of a mini game than anything, but I'd really like to see PvP in a game I love such as this. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that Sega wouldn't exactly put much effort in balancing, but who knows?

What do you guys think?

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 12:52 AM
Hell.

Yes.

Honestly, i never even thought about this before this here topic. PVP squabbles on this game engine would be epic. Since you can jump now, the battle modes could be all kinds of awesome. Imagine a "Capture the Flag" or something, except with swords and giant pew pews.

Possibilties are grand at this point. It'd really all come down to balancing and how many players that would be allowed to a battle room at once. I can easily see any class being somewhat OP at this point, with the aerial attack juggles and rangers being much better at....well, keeping range.

batfax
Apr 25, 2011, 12:54 AM
I've never really been a fan of PvP. I liked how it was in it's own little mode for it's own people who wanted to do it. I don't really like the idea of it just kinda happening in regular play.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 12:57 AM
PSO's battle mode was pretty funny. (regular play with team attack on trolololol)

That'd put an interesting spin on this game's gameplay. For a good minigame, though.

SephirothXer0
Apr 25, 2011, 12:58 AM
As long as it's a completely separate area of the game, sure. I don't like PvP in anything but fighting games, because all it comes down to in these kind of games is who has the better equipment / more time for grinding, and the fights are always boring as hell. I watched a "match" between players on DCUO and nearly fell asleep.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 01:04 AM
True, MMOs dont ever make good fighting games. But every now and then, it can still be pretty fun.

a game like this needs its base mechanics to be deep and solid in order for PVP to ever be serious. That way, you can just standardize the equipment during battle modes and still have fun.

But that's never happening, so...

Tetsaru
Apr 25, 2011, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't mind some form of optional PVP competitions, but balancing would have to be a top priority: syncing levels, gear, which moves have more of an advantage, etc. Or, it could be something as simple as the servers keeping track of the best mission time attacks and rewarding players with the best times... something for players to compete for, but not as direct as an actual fight. Again, there'd need to be a mod team present to look out for any exploits.

Dithrain
Apr 25, 2011, 01:22 AM
Well, it would be interesting to have a sort of player driven development of a meta game with PvP. Meaning maybe balancing heals with debuffs and switching out weapons and what works against what. It COULD go very far, especially with how little we know right now.

Sure, it doesn't have to count for much, but haven't a second department for it would be really fun imo. Achievements, titles, equips, etc.

Evegoden
Apr 25, 2011, 01:31 AM
Now what would be badass for pvp IMO,

Is like how can I say this properly ....

Lets use PSO as a reference....

4 people in mines... scattered about in different areas of the map... working to find one another....while dodging enviromental hazards from decay...while avoiding being killed by monsters....also JUGGERNAUT that would be nuts in pso2.

Oh on smaller notes...stat balancing so if a lvl 200 walks in a group with a bunch of lvl 90s they meet halfway at 100 and even out the levels...

not just hey im lvl 1 haha i killed you.....
*Player 2 lvl 35*
...fffffffffffffffff--------
*Player 1 dies*
*Player 1 lvl 35*
rinse repeat...

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 01:40 AM
I've thought about this, and I wanted psu to have pvp for years, but when I saw it in the portable games it looked like no big deal. Though I did have fun with it on pso offline nuking all of my noob friends-BUT STILL

All I can say is if they can work it out, I'm not complaining. If anything it'd be awesome if they could work it out to the point where it'd pretty much be the main focus for a lot of players. Otherwise I'm fine with just my normal adventures.

Shadownami92
Apr 25, 2011, 02:12 AM
I remember the first time I figured out I could on occasions nuke threw walls, that was always a great way to tick off people. :D

Dragwind
Apr 25, 2011, 06:39 AM
If this is going to be the big title it's supposed to be, I'm expecting some sort of "Battle" mode in PSO2, even if it hardly improves upon the basics of PSO's BA mode.

Vashyron
Apr 25, 2011, 06:53 AM
PVP? Sure, but before actually worrying about balance I'd worry about Netcode, seen how bad players can get desynched in PSU? (And also PSO, but isn't so bad there since you can't fling everything across the map.)

If you apply this to PVP and it isn't properly synched all the time, especially with moves that are supposed to launch into the air to "combo" off.... Uh...

Dragwind
Apr 25, 2011, 07:10 AM
If you fooled around with the PVP aspects of PSPo2, it wasn't too bad for a portable title working off of a P2P system, though at times it was pretty bad. There seemed to be a half-decent compensation mechanism built in for dealing with lag so that it wasn't way too out of sync. However if the host or someone else had a horrible connection, then yes, certain PAs would lag knockback effects and such to an unplayable degree.

Given the fact that this will be a title of a (hopefully) much higher quality, they shouldn't be having problems with age old problems such as those, especially for a PC title. I'm sure they'll have the knack to work out those kinks.

Zimbabwe
Apr 25, 2011, 06:41 PM
I'm really hoping this game supports a deep, well balanced PvP.

Grinding feels so much more satisfying when you know that you can use all your hard earned EXP to whoop another players ass.

A standard deathmatch would be a no brainer. But game types like capture the flag or king of the hill would be all kinds of awesome. The PvP would have to support at least 12-16 players at once as well.

eclipsXe
Apr 25, 2011, 06:51 PM
As long as it's a completely separate area of the game, sure. I don't like PvP in anything but fighting games, because all it comes down to in these kind of games is who has the better equipment / more time for grinding, and the fights are always boring as hell. I watched a "match" between players on DCUO and nearly fell asleep.

You either watched sorry players fight or it's just not the same has experiencing it. In DCUO skill takes a big part of fighting, I beat used to beat people who were way out geared then me, in DCUO anyways.

I won't mind if they leave PVP out unless they somehow make it balanced and not PA spam, also in a world where blocks and dodge rolls actually happen. If it's Like PSO then as long as it's fun I'm down

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
I got it...*spams Gifoie and Rabarta* And DCUO does take alot of skill.Better then PSP2 and Spears = PA Lag=dead foe then you die for some reason

Korten12
Apr 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hm, I wouldn't really mind. PSO battle was fun, but not as fun as regular play.

Norco
Apr 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
Here is my idea.. PvP quests! Two parties sign up for one quest, one party will pose as the heroes and one as the villan or something like that.

Could be two parties that signed up for a quest but only one party get a reward because the client can only afford to pay one party.

Either way if there was such a quest there should be normal monsters aswell. But that's just my thoughts xD

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2011, 08:27 PM
I've never really been a fan of PvP. I liked how it was in it's own little mode for it's own people who wanted to do it. I don't really like the idea of it just kinda happening in regular play.

I agree.

Now I will be over joyed if PSO2 gets an actually Challenge Mode, and fun to do quests like in the original PSO to earn special weapons or units, or even if to unlock a Chao Chao Garden or a Nights mini game again. That'd be sweet.

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:11 PM
Judging by what the combat looks like PvP seems very feasible...though Rangers seem like they'll be dominant with their aiming system.

-Wayu

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
We haven't seen forces yet,they may be the DBZ team of PSO2

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
We'll have to reserve judgment on that.

-Wayu

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
*Force jumps in the air shooting out foies like it's ki blast*.Yep force would wreck

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
I do hope that Forces can move while casting, though.

-Wayu

Lycurgus
Apr 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
PvP in PSO2 would make me a very happy camper. Though with it's play style, it'll have to be an Arena, in a separate mode. Things that would have to be done to balance is proper match making and such.

Since Phantasy star games have such high level gaps, I don't know if it could be every 10 (depending on whether the Level cap is 100 or 200) and with all the gear variances and skill levels, it'd be a little tough. And as said before, there's always a latency issue with a 'high octane' action game like this when played online. The new gameplay style and mechanics look like they'd make PvP very fun. Especially now that there's Jump, Dash and Dodge. Looks like it'd take a lot of skill to take down some other players.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
I want blocking,yet I don't want it.....Nah I want it.

Zarode
Apr 25, 2011, 09:57 PM
I just want all the balances done to PvP separate from the main game. That is one of the huge fundamental flaws of WoW from when I played. Most of the balances done to the game? For PvP. Too bad they affected the PvE pretty severely at times. Dunno what they have done about it recently since Cata's release, but I honestly don't care. Tired of playing bad games.

Dithrain
Apr 26, 2011, 02:34 AM
I just want all the balances done to PvP separate from the main game. That is one of the huge fundamental flaws of WoW from when I played. Most of the balances done to the game? For PvP. Too bad they affected the PvE pretty severely at times. Dunno what they have done about it recently since Cata's release, but I honestly don't care. Tired of playing bad games.

True, though what Blizzard has created is quite the strategy based PvP arena system. Something like that in PSO is something I'd love to see. Also, Blizzard DOES nerf classes with PvP affecting PvE, but not to the point of voiding the classes utility all together, and I can see Sega achieving the same. Also, I can see Sega making balance in PvE more of a priority than keeping both balanced together. However, if they can do both, that truly makes this a perfect game. :)

RemiusTA
Apr 26, 2011, 03:52 AM
It takes work to balance a game. If anything, the current top fighters on the market now have proven this.

The reason a game like Tekken 6 (for example) has achieved such good balance is due to the amount of work they've put into maintaining the balance. They have an entire team specifically aimed at doing it, and they've been doing it for years. Not to say Capcom hasn't been making fighting games just as long, if not longer. But the reason Super Street Fighter 4 isn't as balanced as Tekken 6 is because the T6 team simply put more work into the balancing aspect.

The fact PSO2 announced that they were going to actually make balance a focal point is pretty interesting. I'd love to see how this is carried out. But alot of this is going to come down to how solid the combat engine is. If things are wonky, then you can expect a wonky balancing job. If they program themselves into a corner where the rebalancing is going to be exceedingly difficult due to the core game mechanics (like in PSU, for example) then it just is not going to happen.

Thats precisely what this Alpha is SUPPOSED to be for. Hopefully it'll help them out. I hope they choose some good people to test this game. I'd love to test this thing out.