PDA

View Full Version : PSO2's Music

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
After hearing the song in the Video it makes me feel like I am playing PSO again.I believe the music is gonna be a great remembrance of PSO

Korten12
Apr 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
PSO has an awesome soundtrack, espicialy the remix of 'Can still see the light' by Noriyuki Iwadare. Also 'World with me' by Kenji Ito's version is also really good.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
I am wanting another Gameplay vid.I seriously just want to camp out youtube and google

ChronoTrigga
Apr 25, 2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsa90yssfBs

I miss music epic like this...

But you gotta admit, PSU's Halloween Music > PSO's Halloween Music.

NoiseHERO
Apr 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
i dunno, i don't think it sounds as...interesting as pso's...

It's not bad but it just sounds like a bunch of random pso-styled techy sounds when you're not paying attention...

dias_flac_0g
Apr 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
They werent playing when they said you make too many topics...

You must here all day :o

DarK-SuN
Apr 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
i dunno, i don't think it sounds as...interesting as pso's...

It's not bad but it just sounds like a bunch of random pso-styled techy sounds when you're not paying attention...
It sounds like PSP2 and PSP2 Infinity's new music, basically (specially Infinity), which is more PSOish in nature.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
They werent playing when they said you make too many topics...

You must here all day :o

I made alot of threads but 4 out of 7 were good ones..And somebody has to think of cool topics besides general ones

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Lots of topics doesn't mean good topics.

Quoting my math teacher, "50 pages of crap is still...well, crap." That's not saying you're posting crap, though.

Anyways, I'd like to see the PSO-style music with elements of contemporary soundtracks. A mix, but predominantly PSO-style.

-Wayu

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
But you gotta admit, PSU's Halloween Music > PSO's Halloween Music.

I noticed something.

First off, I'll actually agree with you there. It almost reminds me of the Dark Chao Garden theme from SA2.

Now, to what i noticed...PSU's OFF themes (seasonal lobby themes) all sound much better than the music of the game itself.

The Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine themes all have very PSO-like composition to them. I remember during Valentines day, i'd always sit out in the lobbies while doing homework so the music would play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRgkPIRE08&feature=related

This sounds like something from Final Fantasy X-2 or something. The halloween theme too. They really don't even sound like they fit in PSU. It has that....i dont know the genre or style off the top of my head, but it's the same style PSO used, as well as many other soundtracks composed by the same team of composers.

...then again, that's likely why it sounds so familiar. I know Fumie worked on alot of themes from the Sonic Adventure series too. The songs are much more varied in melody and bassline. Which is why i think the PSU songs are so unmemorable.

In all, the only songs i really liked from PSU were the Neudaiz tracks and like 2 that were included in AotI. (and none of them were particularly memorable either. Not like PSO's themes or remixes.) I think the best level theme in the game was Old Rosenom City. (or metroline.)

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Lots of topics doesn't mean good topics.

Quoting my math teacher, "50 pages of crap is still...well, crap." That's not saying you're posting crap, though.

Anyways, I'd like to see the PSO-style music with elements of contemporary soundtracks. A mix, but predominantly PSO-style.

-Wayu

I try not to post to much,But I thought they were good,others thought it was so basic it could go into the 9 pages of general topics.

Hope they have a digital level,bring back the good ol' tricktrack beat

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah.

Alterzghog theme was great, as well as the De Ragan's theme. I actually enjoyed those.

Final Boss theme was good, if not repetitive as hell. It's hard remembering good ones though.

I want to note, alot of PSO's great themes were all mashup-remixes of the original PS games (which is quite impressive, honestly.) Longing to Ancient Times, Tricktrack, and Nostalgia in Solitude were all composed of themes from PSI-IV. (At least, the battle versions of them all were. I dont think the calm versions were remixed from anything. Which, once again, is pretty impressive.)

And then you have the things like Abysmal Ball and Underworld, and the whole Ep3 soundtrack.

Man, PSU was an audio letdown. How on earth did they drop the ball with that...Sonic Team NEVER has a bad soundtrack....(excluding sonic 4)

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
Stuff happens. Sucks when it happens, but we often don't see it before it hits the fan.

-Wayu

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:41 PM
Growl From the faith,Clyrez linear line*not busted up*,Ice Seed and my favorite The Vibe-End of planets

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 09:44 PM
Sonic 4 sounds fine, from what I've heard from it.

And PSU had plenty of perfectly decent tracks. Let's not go into that whole spiel again.

Wayu
Apr 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
They were okay, sure, but I personally think that PSO's was better. It didn't suck, one's just more preferred.

-Wayu

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 09:51 PM
All the Idola's were good*Fanatic Viper was just....Beautiful*,All the songs matched and captured the mood unlike PSU.I for one like the settle music to the Action music back to the Settle music.

Zarode
Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 PM
I actually hated Fanatic Viper, and thought The Desert's Shell was superior. Guess I like booty shaking beats during my crazy snake bosses...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
The Shell's Desert was better, but IDOLA The Fanatic Viper is easily the best of the IDOLA themes, in my opinion.

Zarode
Apr 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
I got a soft spot for Immortal Feather and The Strange Fruits.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
The Frenzy Wilds is god tier. Nothing else comes close.

Zarode
Apr 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
True, true. And yet, I can't think of any PSU music that remotely interested me. Didn't take me long till I shut that crap off. PSZ kind of falls in the same category, but at least a majority of that music sounded good.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 10:24 PM
Sonic 4 sounds fine, from what I've heard from it.

And PSU had plenty of perfectly decent tracks. Let's not go into that whole spiel again.

Well PSU sounded fine too. Compare it to PSO, however, and there's really no contest. It's actually quite saddening.

Same with Sonic 4. It was decent, but compare it with the rest of the BGMs in the series, and it was atrocious. There wasn't a single 16-bit game that didn't have a better soundtrack. The only one it could even marginally compete with was the very first title -- after that, it's a landslide. And that isn't even including Sonic CD or the dreamcast titles, or any of the newer ones.

Although i will admit, sonic 4 had plenty of great MELODIES, but the arrangement and instruments used were...pretty bad.

For level themes, Tricktrack, Abysmal Ball and Underworld were my favorites.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
True, true. And yet, I can't think of any PSU music that remotely interested me. Didn't take me long till I shut that crap off. PSZ kind of falls in the same category, but at least a majority of that music sounded good.PSO definitely had the better soundtrack on the whole, but to be completely fair, I turned them both off after a little while.

Ark22
Apr 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
Fanatic Viper may be beautiful but my favorite is Cry For Idola The Holy

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2011, 10:36 PM
Cry, for IDOLA the holy puts me to sleep. PSU had far better Falz themes than PSO.

Para
Apr 25, 2011, 10:47 PM
I hope Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani both come back to do the OST for PSO2. I pretty much followed their Phantasy Star work from PSO to the latest PSP2 (I havent gotten the soundtrack for PSP2i yet so I still need to hear that).

As for IDOLA themes, they're all good in their respect on each boss battle. While the latest IDOLA the Devil's Shadow was mixed for DS, it is still a great theme. Which also brings up to PSZ which had some good themes that are reminiscent of the PSO style.

RemiusTA
Apr 25, 2011, 11:42 PM
Cry, for IDOLA the holy puts me to sleep. PSU had far better Falz themes than PSO.

u crazy. End of Worlds sounded cool for like the first minute until you realized the whole song just looped the beginning. I dont even remember what the other ones sound like.

I hold all of the Idola themes in PSO on the same level, since i cant really decide which i like better. Cry, for Idola the Holy, however, did have one of the best buildups out of all of them. Honestly, if i had the decision to mix and match the themes between the games, the only time i wouldn't be playing PSO music in PSO was during the Caves. And maybe during seaside/mountains/jungle, only because it uses the same theme all the way through. I might sub one of the neudaiz themes. I'd change almost all the PSU music, though.

not that it was bad. It just wasn't...too...good?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 26, 2011, 07:07 AM
The Hunt ~the End of Planets~ is a great track, even if it is short and loops. Pray, for IDOLA the distorted and Cry, for IDOLA the holy are both really boring in comparison. The Vibe ~the End of Planets~ is also better. This is 100% true reality.

Itoshi
Apr 26, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'm a really big fan of both Jungle themes (Probably my favorite track in any video game) and both 'IDOLA' Have the Immortal Feather and 'IDOLA' Have the Divine Blade are amazing. I've really grown tired of Dark Falz themes but that is because I've fought him so much.

'IDOLA' The Strange Fruits another good one.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 26, 2011, 09:36 AM
I yes, "IDOLA" The Strange Fruits is my go music for finals right now. That and most of the Ep 3 and Ep 2 sountracks.
Fucking Roomate took back his Gamecube with the memory card yesterday before I got to kill Castor (already killed Pollux, so I would have been able to do the final boss, what ever the name was)

Ryoten
Apr 26, 2011, 04:39 PM
I gotta agree with you guys on the music. Totally love the Underworld music right now. I really want to see these songs make a return to pso2:

Underworld -equilibrium- & -chaos-
Ep3 Pioneer 2 lobby song
All of the IDOLA songs *Hopefully a fight between Pullux & Castor*
World with me
TrickTrack -part 1 & 2-
Abysmal Ball -Intermission & Banquet-
Jungle -A Lush load-
Ravum Aedes Sacra -Temple of Ravum-
Tower of Caelum

& yes, I have all the soundtracks from pso to psu on the ipod. Gotta shut the outside world up somehow.

RemiusTA
Apr 26, 2011, 05:01 PM
The Hunt ~the End of Planets~ is a great track, even if it is short and loops. Pray, for IDOLA the distorted and Cry, for IDOLA the holy are both really boring in comparison. The Vibe ~the End of Planets~ is also better.

Idola the distorted, maybe. It was always pretty boring to me.

This is 100% true reality.Hahahaha....Actually, it isn't nearly as funny because at this point, i'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Anyway, i prefer Cry for Holy because it's just...composed better. I was never really a fan of Hunt. I enjoy Vibe because it sounds pretty epic, but in comparison to any final boss theme that ISN'T Pray for the Distorted, it's just way too simple in it's composition.

I dont expect us to have the same taste in music, though. To each his own. In MY opinion, Cry for Idola the Holy just sounds so much more full than any of the PSU boss tracks. Vibe End of Planets just kind of repeats the same varied melody. It's not that i dont like the song (i think it's the best out of the themes that play during combat in the whole game), it's just that all in all Idola the Holy kind of sounds better to me. I wouldn't substitute any of them though -- neither would work well in the other's situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFVrBqUtLw

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfWJ49Q22FQ

I think the main reason i dont like End of Planets better is because the theme it's building off of is Hunt, End of Planets....which i didn't care for too much. But they're both pretty damn good final boss themes.

Vibe gets the "super mega epic final battle confrontation" feel, and Cry for Idola the Holy gets the "All-or-nothing battle with the Angelic mysterious being of terrible power" feel.

Something i admired about PSO's music, especially for the final bosses, is how it would go from low tempo to fast, or completely change it during the song. It worked really well. (Idola, have the Divine Blade did this, as well as Cry for Idola the Holy)

But, it's really all a matter of opinion. If all of PSU's music was on the same level like Vibe End of Planets, it would have been pretty amazing.

Zilch
Apr 26, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah the music in the trailer was delicious. Felt just right. While I loved the soundtrack of all the PSO episodes I found PSU's to be very up and down. Some great tracks, some insanely dull. Overall I can't say any PS game have disappointed in this regard though. So I'm not exactly expecting PSO2 to either.

And yeah "Cry, for IDOLA the holy" and "Idola, has the Divinde Blade" were frickin' awesome. I think I prefer Divine Blade just because I was so blown away by Episode 2 at the time. Having that music pumping while you fight something you can barely reach the toe of is pretty epic.

Malachite
Apr 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Something I think PSO2 needs, music wise, is the part 1 and part 2 of every track. When you're just standing around, the calm music should play. When you're fighting, the more energetic music.

The lack of that was one of PSU's bigger flops.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
That's already been confirmed for PSO2.
Hahahaha....Actually, it isn't nearly as funny because at this point, i'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If you think I am 100% serious about anything I post here, then you are gravely mistaken.

Also, The Hunt is way better than The Vibe.

Other great PSU boss themes include Fly Up Ivy and Madness the Machine Sparx. Growl, from the Dark Faith is ok too, I guess.

Zilch
Apr 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
Urgh...ending up listening to the old OST from PSO Ep 1-4 now. Dammit. This wait..it'll be painful.

Anyway yes, situational music is awesome. Sadly it's rarely used nowadays. I kind of always preferred the calmer, part 1, versions of the songs in original PSO though. The one in Ruins was so beautiful. :<

Malachite
Apr 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
It was confirmed already? Where was this and how did I miss it?

Zaix
Apr 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
That was confirmed in the teaser trailer last year

Malachite
Apr 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well... crap lol. I watched that a million times and never knew.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
Speaking of PSU music being crappy, I changed alot of my music in the game, one that stood out among the others that I changed was when you were fighting Dark Falz in the hive. I changed it to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiSb9SBOW0

Also changed Endrum Remnants to this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFT6Ox4Wiyc

Very fitting IMO.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
It's a good thing I quit PSU when I did, otherwise I would have ended up replacing everything with Homestuck music.

Ark22
Apr 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
They should make a running level so I can play Hurry from FF10

RemiusTA
Apr 26, 2011, 06:06 PM
Also, The Hunt is way better than The Vibe.

Yeah our tastes are completely different then.

Ark22
Apr 26, 2011, 06:47 PM
Someone likes Guitar chords on top of alot of techno(that really didn't even go together)
I want to run from alot of enemies with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aDGA-ynfQ

Then do a wave match with countless enemies trying to kill me with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU

I actually played Price for freedom on Max attack

Hucast-Kireek
Apr 26, 2011, 09:06 PM
I Hope for PSO/PSZ type Music!

Malachite
Apr 26, 2011, 09:09 PM
Well, judging from the trailer, that's exactly what you're going to get lol.

Which is awesome.

moorebounce
May 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
They should hire Kraftwerk to re-mix all the old PSO music and use it in PSO2.

Puppet_Papaya
May 2, 2011, 10:57 AM
I actually hated Fanatic Viper, and thought The Desert's Shell was superior. Guess I like booty shaking beats during my crazy snake bosses...

This is the ONLY time I have ever heard of somebody who feels the same way as I about these two tracks.
I never understood what people think is so great about Fanatic Viper. It's really pretty standard fare for PSO's soundtrack. Shell's Desert, however, was something new and exciting. Also, as stated above, you can shake your booty to it.
PSO2's soundtrack could use more Kenichi Tokoi.

Wayu
May 2, 2011, 11:19 AM
PSO2 OST - must have.

-Wayu

FEI LEE
May 2, 2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZs-gUP-Y68"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZs-gUP-Y68

wouldn't mind some varient of this returning.

Vashyron
May 2, 2011, 04:16 PM
What I want to see is stuff from EP3, felt the soundtrack was very neglected due to it being a "card game" which many PSO players didn't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6sI5SMKThA

^ Love how this one "builds up."

Parn
May 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
Been years since I visited this place. Little has changed. In all honesty, curiosity compelled me to visit and see what's going on, but I have no real interest in the actual game. Sega is incompetent when it comes to supporting their products, and I expect PSO2 to fall prey to the same cycle of nonsense.

Nevertheless, Hideaki Kobayashi's work always grabs my attention. The trailer's music was way more interesting than the gameplay footage it was supposed to supplement (looked like a generic Korean MMO). I will at a minimum purchase the soundtrack.

Palle
May 3, 2011, 09:19 PM
Been years since I visited this place. Little has changed. In all honesty, curiosity compelled me to visit and see what's going on, but I have no real interest in the actual game. Sega is incompetent when it comes to supporting their products, and I expect PSO2 to fall prey to the same cycle of nonsense.

Welcome back, Jaydub! ;3

What I want to see is stuff from EP3...

Yeah, sad that all many players talk about is Tricktrack. Ep III had some great tunes... and some stinkers.

Blueblur
May 3, 2011, 09:49 PM
While there are a couple of PSU tracks I enjoy, I prefer PSO's music ten times more. I'm hoping for some remixes but I'd like mostly new music. And new stuff that doesn't stray too far from the classic PSO stuff.

What I want to see is stuff from EP3, felt the soundtrack was very neglected due to it being a "card game" which many PSO players didn't like.

YouTube - Phantasy Star Online III C.A.R.D. Revolution - Tower of 'Caelum' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6sI5SMKThA)

I barely played Episode 3 but it did have some phenomenal tracks. I hope those get some love in PSO 2 as well.

AlexCraig
May 3, 2011, 09:54 PM

YouTube - Phantasy Star Online III C.A.R.D. Revolution - Tower of 'Caelum' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6sI5SMKThA)

My favorite song in the game! I would love to hear something like this in PSO2.

NoiseHERO
May 3, 2011, 10:02 PM
Never played ep3 but from some of the songs I've heard, I think it has some of the best in the series next to a couple tracks from ep 2.

AlexCraig
May 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
My top 3 songs from PSO would be
Tricktrack
Tower of Caelum
Pray for IDOLA the distorted