PDA

View Full Version : This looks more like PSU2 tbh...

Pages : [1] 2

pso4life
Apr 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ok, looking at the vid and screenshots, this is clearly more PSU2 or possibly PSU x pso... but no PSO2 ^^

-Character animations like walking / running look ripped straight out of PSU aswell as the character design (even though the hand-drawn chars on intro do seem reminiscent of PSO).
-No mags ...yet? 1 toon looks like he might have a section ID but that's about it... can't see any others.
-Combat still appears to be like PSU system... no sign of timing attacks to execute full combo...
-PP is still here, what happened to TP? I guess no show of Force character cause it would give it away too quickly...
-Combat reticule is definately from PSU aswell as autolock-on...
-Level design does seem like a step back in the right direction

PSP or PSP2(i) worked ok for the PSP, but if SEGA ported PSO on PSP it would be the instant best-seller !
If you're gonna make PSU2, don't call it PSO2... or at least have some decency to admit it...

Tips for a good sequel : take the original and make it bigger/better/prettier etc... not strip/dumb it down or try re-inventing the wheel badly... psu flopped for a reason

Example of good sequels :
-Streets of rage 1 & 2
-Shenmue 1 & 2
-Panzer Dragoon 1,2 and Orta (Saga is in another league)
-Virtua Fighter 1,2,3,4 and Evo
-Diablo 1&2
-Warcaft 1,2,3

Ok think i vented enough for now...

Oh and the music in the vid sounds more like pso mixed with ALOT of Panzer Dragoon... as well as the enemy design at the end of vid...LOL.

I'm still hoping this 'psu2' will be good... maybe they got the formula better, but for now it still looks like PSU crossed with more pso than the portable psp2(i)... but certainly not a true PSO sequel...

(p.s: maybe get Platinum Games to make the real sequel ^^)

Ark22
Apr 28, 2011, 01:49 PM
Platinum games made Mad world and Bayonetta.Both were good games,vanquish was a tad to metal gear solid with explosions and fast pace gunning...plus future

BIG OLAF
Apr 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
Some people are still on about the nostalgia crap? Stop living in 2001, please. PSO2 looks great. The majority of PSO and PSU fans here have already agreed on this.

r00tabaga
Apr 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Ok, you saw one alpha video kid...chill.

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
/facepalm @ even your screen name

Otherwise...

What OLAF said.

Strider_M
Apr 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
I want to know how you think PSU flopped?

eclipsXe
Apr 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
Looks more like a PSO/Strike Raid imo, but who cares as long as it's good.

OdinTyler
Apr 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
When I first saw pictures, I thought it was a hybrid (and it really is). It has the look of PSO but a cleaner, crisper image with slight influences of PSU. It's more PSO than PSU but the PSU bits are there.

pso4life
Apr 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah screen name was a bad call ^^

Not saying it's looking bad, just that it's looking more like PUS2 than PSO2...

Skye-Fox713
Apr 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
From what I see from the Alpha video PSO2 Took the best parts of PSU and the PSP titles such as the combat system with a few adjustments and then blended it with an updated, cleaner and crisper art and visual style of PSO. In this combination resulted in a perfect balance of the PSO feel with the updated combat of PSU and the PSP titles.

r00tabaga
Apr 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
Why is it that people think that a hybrid of all the Phantasy Star games in the last 10 yrs is a bad thing! I'm all in with their direction. With only one video to go off of, I'm actually impressed. Didn't think SEGA still had "it". Not the most visually stunning game ever but it doesn't need to be either for this type of game.

Vashyron
Apr 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Do people still expect the game to be built off a years old PSO with a clunky battle system like everything past Episode 4 didn't happen?

At least the Visuals look like PSO so far.

Corey Blue
Apr 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Ok, looking at the vid and screenshots, this is clearly more PSU2 or possibly PSU x pso... but no PSO2 ^^

-Character animations like walking / running look ripped straight out of PSU aswell as the character design (even though the hand-drawn chars on intro do seem reminiscent of PSO).
-No mags ...yet? 1 toon looks like he might have a section ID but that's about it... can't see any others.
-Combat still appears to be like PSU system... no sign of timing attacks to execute full combo...
-PP is still here, what happened to TP? I guess no show of Force character cause it would give it away too quickly...

PSP or PSP2(i) worked ok for the PSP, but if SEGA ported PSO on PSP it would be the instant best-seller !
If you're gonna make PSU2, don't call it PSO2... or at least have some decency to admit it...

Tips for a good sequel : take the original and make it bigger/better/prettier etc... not strip/dumb it down or try re-inventing the wheel badly... psu flopped for a reason

-Streets of rage 1 & 2
-Shenmue 1 & 2
-Diablo 1&2
-Warcaft 1,2,3

Oh and the music in the vid sounds more like pso mixed with ALOT of Panzer Dragoon... as well as the enemy design at the end of vid...LOL.

I'm still hoping this 'psu2' will be good... maybe they got the formula better, but for now it still looks like PSU crossed with more pso than the portable psp2(i)... but certainly not a true PSO sequel...

Yeah to you it make not look like a sequel,but to me it's a perfect blend of PSO and PSU.(I'm also a PSO fan.)

Kaziel
Apr 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
I can't tell if OP is trolling or-

Random games OP likes

Oh. Yeah. He is.

0/10.

Corey Blue
Apr 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
Fail troll is fail,plus his name is annoying lmao

Touka
Apr 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Well of course combat resembles more like PSU(actually more like the portable games)because like it or not PSO's battle system is outdated.PSU improved on it and it was further refined in the Portable games.

Why wouldn't Sakai further expand and create something new with the engine he worked hard on?

pso4life
Apr 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
I can't tell if OP is trolling or-

Oh. Yeah. He is.

0/10.

Well if you check i took a bunch of random games from the SEGA of old, and a some of the biggest blockbusters that made Blizz.

I shoulda added PSPo1&2 ^^

I'm actually hoping this 'psu2' will be good and will be playing it on day 1 (cause you guessed it i'm a phantasy star fan)...

...however they shouldn't be calling it PSO2 when it clearly won't be a true sequel, but just to try racking in the maximum $$$ from nostalgia fans of the PSO of old.

pso4life
Apr 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
Well if you check out PSU, PSPo1&2i, those look like logical sequels because they share the same core gameplay mechanics and visual style and feel.

From the initial footage i see more PSU than PSO...

Kaziel
Apr 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
Well if you check out PSU, PSPo1&2i, those look like logical sequels because they share the same core gameplay mechanics and visual style and feel.

From the initial footage i see more PSU than PSO...

I think he means the story/lore, not the gameplay.

GreenArcher
Apr 28, 2011, 03:43 PM
If you want to play PSO, why don't you just....play PSO?

I hope you realize PSO2 is 10-11 (depending on when it is released) years ahead of PSO...of course it's going to look more like PSU. You should note that it appears one of the key differences of PSO (as compared to PSU) is still present: classes are not changeable. We were given a screen of a HUnewearl, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will have to choose our class upon character creation and be stuck with it as we did in PSO.

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 03:48 PM

I hope you realize PSO2 is 10-11 (depending on when it is released) years ahead of PSO...of course it's going to look more like PSU. You should note that it appears one of the key differences of PSO (as compared to PSU) is still present: classes are not changeable. We were given a screen of a HUnewearl, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will have to choose our class upon character creation and be stuck with it as we did in PSO.

Please god no............ D8

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
This looks more like PSU2 tbh...

Oh this is more like PSU2! OH HELLZ NO THIS IS MORE LIKE PSU2!!

...seriously...

http://i.picasion.com/pic40/41819605b38b42e6bec58caad3838f96.gif

We know almost nothing about the game still, save 2 or 3 things. Only a few screenshoots and a video that shows a little bit of gameplay. Save your venting for a later date.

If it still doesn't match your tastes? Well I have an idea! Just something that ocurred to me really, nothing special. Here goes: Don't. Play. It.

Mystil
Apr 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
Speaking as a pioneer of age old PSO... I think any game they make that atleast functions in the way that PSO did, is ok with me. I was ok with PSU..just some issues with update consistency that destroyed that game. I don't feel like PSO is being ripped off, or whatever, nor do I feel that SEGA is offending me in some way by making this. All I ask is that they don't make yet the same mistake with this one as they have with the others.

t3hVeG
Apr 28, 2011, 03:54 PM

Ugh I hope that's not the case, I'd rather they stick to letting us change classes instead of being stuck with one per character again. (especially if the character level cap is 200 again)

GCoffee
Apr 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
PSU was PSO2 and PSO2 is actually PSO3! YES, I SAID IT!

pso4life
Apr 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
We know almost nothing about the game still, save 2 or 3 things. Only a few screenshoots and a video that shows a little bit of gameplay.

Except the fact that it was developped alongside the development of PSPO2i, and by practically the same teams and original game director of psu... and obviously this initial footage ^^

Corey Blue
Apr 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
I thought it was ok a little bit as long as Hunters could use Ranger guns like pistol's and shit like that,I never really had a problem with it.

Immovable One
Apr 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
I totally called the custom combos (where somebody responded that the idea was "too much love for Hunters") and third person aiming.

Now we just need elemental buffs via casting offensive techs on allies.

Callous
Apr 29, 2011, 04:14 PM
PSO4Life, you are spot on. I'm as disappointed as you are. I think it's time to give up. We aren't ever going to get PSO2 in anything but name. We can just hope for a portable compilation release of PSO that includes all 4 episodes. That'd go some ways towards compensating for this ongoing disaster. Sakai just doesn't get it and why Sega allows him to continue to defile the franchise is a mystery. Then again, it's Sega.

I'll try this game, but it's not looking good for real PSO fans.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
PSO4Life, you are spot on. I'm as disappointed as you are. I think it's time to give up. We aren't ever going to get PSO2 in anything but name. We can just hope for a portable compilation release of PSO that includes all 4 episodes. That'd go some ways towards compensating for this ongoing disaster. Sakai just doesn't get it and why Sega allows him to continue to defile the franchise is a mystery. Then again, it's Sega.

I'll try this game, but it's not looking good for real PSO fans.

You mean nostalgia addicts?

For the 100th time either PSZ or PSO or hurry up and move on to the next decade! D:

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
Michaeru is right. This is the same thing just like old fans of Square Soft badmouthing everything that Square-Enix has been making since the fusion of both companies when everything they made in the past and have been doing now is equaly awsome. Don't like recent games? Then just keep playing the old ones you like.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
Looks and feels very pso-ish to me...

Of course they are going to take PSu's good points into account. I'm a PSO fan too, but some of you PSO fans are acting like PSU doesnt even exist lol.

I'm all up for PSo2 taking what PSU did well. I dont wanna go back to 2001 combat that's for sure. PSU's combat was a good improvement over PSO's.

Gunning sucks in PSU though, eventhough it's technically better, it's just done in a very lazy type of way. Your char always has the guns facing foward, when you shoot up in first person the bullets just magically fly up haha that's so lame.

Gunning in PSo2 looks awesome.

It would be stupid to leave out the good points of PSU.

Flame
Apr 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
You mean nostalgia addicts?

You may not like to admit it but there's a reason that when PSU came out it was critically panned and shunned by most of the original PSO fanbase: It's not a good game. Stop accusing people with better taste of being nostalgia this or nostalgia that. If PSU had even a shred of the respect the gaming community has for PSO I might be okay with your assertions. As it stands though, that's just not the case.

Here's a pretty solid explanation someone wrote on why PSU sucks:

PSO's "limited movement and fighting options" is what gave the game its gravity and "sticky friction" in terms of combat and strategy. Enemies moved at their slow pace, never stopping, until you came and hit them, which would make them flinch or sent them recoiling backwards a few paces. Likewise, the player could only move so fast, which they would trade in exchange for attacking. The gameplay was very delicately balanced around controlling the flow of enemies and disrupting their attacks, and each of your attacks were vastly more important because of the decision you had to make between using a quick attack that would flinch the enemy or a hard attack that would flinch the enemy and send them backwards but at the expense of slow startup and finishing time. Each class when played solo worked with this flow and when players played together, it was a beautiful symphony of cooperation.

Then in PSU/P, they tossed this all out the window and instead made all the players able to run around like mad, with every attack option being very mobile and huge in range with no consequence. Great swords had no difference to normal swords in terms of risk/reward because each of them swung around at high speeds plus the importance of weapons were further negated by the addition of Photon Arts which were just huge acrobatic attacks that would send enemies around you flying across the screen. Gunners were changed also so that they could shoot while running around, and they also shoved in a first person mode so you could shoot enemies that were flying around - which they used as an excuse to give every flying boss hugely irritating segments of them flying around forever and about 1 second of them being on the ground so that anyone without a gun could get one hit in before it went flying off again. Now this would be fine and dandy if the enemies were updated and changed around to counteract your array of skill, but instead of doing that, they kept them the same but took way their ability to flinch or get pushed back unless you were using a Photon Art.

Anyway, what all this mobile options and eliminating of risk/reward of every weapon did was that it made every melee completely homogenous/meaningless - you just rushed in, mashed photon arts if you were ever surrounded, and kill-a-thoned everything you saw. Every encounter had no gravity as enemies didn't flinch anymore unless you photon art-ed them, and made every battle really flimsy and non memorable. It really didn't help either that the initial PSU enemies were skin swaps of exactly 4 different enemy types and 3 bosses. PSU > P fixed some of the things around and got away with a lot of other really bad decisions (like initially guns used PP that you could only recharge by either waiting or using recovery items, meaning if you were gunning you'd have to carry around 12 guns because you'd run out of bullets in 1 minute and even then you were shit out of luck after using your expensive recovery items), but all the changes did was address how badly designed the battle system was without bothering to overhaul it all entirely.

For your information, I was extremely excited about PSU and followed its development religiously. No way in hell did I go into that game hoping to dislike it.

Callous
Apr 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Michaeru. There are several problems with your statement, but it would, in my opinion, be futile to point them out to you.

I will trust you, however, not to attempt to dictate to me, or others, to pretend not to be disappointed that a game called "PSO2" is seemingly not retaining much of what we liked about the original game. The original game that, you know, it is supposed to be a follow up to?

If you want to play PSU, why don't you go play PSU? There are sure as hell enough incarnations of that abomination for you to choose from. And hey, it looks like you'll have one more come summer 2011. You win!

Gaming loses.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
I was the same way when I heard about PSU never did I intent to go in hating the game.

But I just couldnt help but feel the crappiness of the game. I was like "wow really this is what's gonna replace PSO?"

I was expecting much more.

I too feel that these PSU fans only who never played PSO throw out the notalgia card far too often everytime they need a way to defend themselves.

PSo was something amazing for it's time. For starters it was on Dreamcast and ran GREAT under 56k which was unheard of for it's time. Especially on a console.

usually games like these are mostly popular on PC. But DC showed that online gaming could be fun on console aswell.

The graphics were great, the music was awesome, the classes the art style everything.

So with all this in mind of course people (us PSO fans) were expecting something awesome from PSU and hoping for the best for it.

However...we didnt get that at all.

I dont think I need to go into detail as to why this is lol At this point everyone knows what's wrong with PSU.

I was talking about flame's post btw :)

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Michaeru. There are several problems with your statement, but it would, in my opinion, be futile to point them out to you.

I will trust you, however, not to attempt to dictate to me, or others, to pretend not to be disappointed that a game called "PSO2" is seemingly not retaining much of what we liked about the original game. The original game that, you know, it is supposed to be a follow up to?

If you want to play PSU, why don't you go play PSU? There are sure as hell enough incarnations of that abomination for you to choose from. And hey, it looks like you'll have one more come summer 2011. You win!

Gaming loses.

I'd say give at chance,SEGA has no excuses this time.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 05:02 PM
I dunno...even the way you guys talk sound crazy. :0

Palle
Apr 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
“Nostalgia addicts“... that's one way to put it. There are number of people at PSO World who continue to visit regularly due to some notion of respect or affection for the original, not a few of them with accounts around 10 years old. It's probably natural to want to recapture the feeling of that fantastic experience, when it was new...

If SEGA want to make PSU2, the should, and call it what it is. I'm sure people would play it. This recently teased title is so early on that fans piece together what little we have into a plausible speculation. Final product may be quite different.

Gameplay? Mechanics? Console support? Global servers? MAGs? Character clothing? All negotiable points as far as I'm concerned. What I want as a fan of the original is a sequel that derives directly from the setting and story of PSO, if you're going to call it PSO2.

Will I get what I want? Time will tell, I guess, as the alpha comes and goes and the picture of this new title becomes clear. At this point, its worth keeping an eye on, IMO.

Callous
Apr 29, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'd say give at chance,SEGA has no excuses this time.

Well, They do have a bad excuse for a game director. But yes, I will buy it and probably put at least 100 hours in before I write off this franchise for good (or until they get someone else behind the wheel).

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
“Nostalgia addicts“... that's one way to put it. There are number of people at PSO World who continue to visit regularly due to some notion of respect or affection for the original, not a few of them with accounts around 10 years old. It's probably natural to want to recapture the feeling of that fantastic experience, when it was new...

If SEGA want to make PSU2, the should, and call it what it is. I'm sure people would play it. This recently teased title is so early on that fans piece together what little we have into a plausible speculation. Final product may be quite different.

Gameplay? Mechanics? Console support? Global servers? MAGs? Character clothing? All negotiable points as far as I'm concerned. What I want as a fan of the original is a sequel that derives directly from the setting and story of PSO, if you're going to call it PSO2.

Will I get what I want? Time will tell, I guess, as the alpha comes and goes and the picture of this new title becomes clear. At this point, its worth keeping an eye on, IMO.

This is exactly why I say, they should have just called it phantasy star galaxy. :\

Itoshi
Apr 29, 2011, 05:18 PM
This is exactly why I say, they should have just called it phantasy star galaxy. :\

Why though? The game has more influences of PSO than anything else, to me atleast. Character design, armor design, area design are just some examples. This game is supposed to be the true successor to PSO, hence why its named PSO2. Pretty sure even the design team heading the project stated that they wanted this game to be the true sequel to PSO that a lot of people have been waiting for.

What I don't understand is, why is that such a bad thing? It's awesome!

zombiemoshpit84
Apr 29, 2011, 05:28 PM

-Streets of rage 1 & 2
-Shenmue 1 & 2
-Diablo 1&2
-Warcaft 1,2,3

what did you expect? for them to make this game with last gen grafix and gameplay? we dont know enuf about this yet to debate if its psu or pso. chances are with custom combos and random maps its going to be nothing like either. calling pp tp or takin away the lock on feature wont make it more like pso. pso is gone friend and psu is dying. it looks ike were getting something new!

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
Why though? The game has more influences of PSO than anything else, to me atleast. Character design, armor design, area design are just some examples. This game is supposed to be the true successor to PSO, hence why its named PSO2. Pretty sure even the design team heading the project stated that they wanted this game to be the true sequel to PSO that a lot of people have been waiting for.

What I don't understand is, why is that such a bad thing? It's awesome!

To prevent people from thinking this is purely PSO HD with a continued story, then getting mad when it's not. :0

zombiemoshpit84
Apr 29, 2011, 05:39 PM
To prevent people from thinking this is purely PSO HD with a continued story, then getting mad when it's not. :0

who is dumb enuf to think ST would use last gen gameplay for a next gen game? i dont get this argument. pso2 is going to be its own entity NOT a clone of pso psu psp psp2 or any other game. if you cant tell that from the trailer then watch it again. to me it looks less like psu or pso and more like a platformer with pso art direction.

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 05:40 PM
I've enjoyed PSO since V1, but honestly it gets old. Its PSO in name, that is truth yes, but this is a whole new game. No Gurhal, and definitley no Ragol. You can call PSU a complete piece of garbage, no one is arguing with you there, but the fact remains it has its good points, just like PSO has its good points, and they are not ignoring that, otherwise that "abomination" as you put it which spawned into the PSP series wouldn't be raking in the money. We finally got a chance to see this as of a few days ago, just a pre-alpha state game that they're still working on, and already some of you are judging it as garbage because it doesn't hold everything you remember about the old PSO, and I cannot wrap my head around that. Well, you'll continue to be dissapointed then.

A true successor to PSO? That has yet to be determined, but so far, after seeing the success of PSP2 and PSP2i, I think they have the formula they need to expand a newer system, and not throw themselves back down to a dated game, when they can do it better. I rather not have a PSO HD. I'd go back to playing V1 if I wanted PSO all over again. PSU? I'd go playing the JP servers. This game however, seems to be grabbing influences from both and making something of its own. Again, that has yet to be determined. Overall, if the game is executed the RIGHT way, it shouldn't matter if PSO, or PSU influences the game more.

Hrith
Apr 29, 2011, 05:44 PM
I still think this looks more like PSO than PSU, regardless :P

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've enjoyed PSO since V1, but honestly it gets old. Its PSO in name, that is truth yes, but this is a whole new game. No Gurhal, and definitley no Ragol. You can call PSU a complete piece of garbage, no one is arguing with you there, but the fact remains it has its good points, just like PSO has its good points, and they are not ignoring that, otherwise the PSP series wouldn't be raking in the money. We finally got a chance to see this as of a few days ago, just a pre-alpha state game that they're still working on, and already some of you are judging it as garbage because it doesn't hold everything you remember about the old PSO, and I cannot wrap my head around that. Well, you'll continue to be dissapointed then. A true successor to PSO? That has yet to be determined, but so far, after seeing the success of PSP2 and PSP2i, I think they have the formula they need to expand a newer system, and not throw themselves back down to a dated game, when they can do it better. I rather not have a PSO HD. I'd go back to playing V1 if I wanted PSO all over again. PSU? I'd go playing the JP servers. This game however, seems to be grabbing influences from both and making something of its own. Again, that has yet to be determined. Overall, if the game is executed the RIGHT way, it shouldn't matter if PSO, or PSU influences the game more.

Maybe I've been irrationally jumping to conclusion, but this is kind of impression I get right away when people say:

"This isn't PSU because of blah blah blah PSU ruined everything...!!! I'll still try it though."

and like hrith says this is more leaning towards PSO, if anything I'm waiting for all the good stuff from PSU to reveal itself, outside of the action packed gameplay.

Malachite
Apr 29, 2011, 07:10 PM
The fact that ANYONE thinks this looks more like PSU than PSO is completely absurd IMO. Just about every aspect of what we've seen from this game is a throwback to PSO, aside from the photon art looking combat, and why is that a bad thing? It's not, it looks great. Would you prefer the simple LIGHT LIGHT HARD 3 hit combos, over and over and over?

Naw, this is PSO2. If you want PSO, then go fuckin' play it and be quiet.

Hotsuma
Apr 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
From what I see from the Alpha video PSO2 Took the best parts of PSU and the PSP titles such as the combat system with a few adjustments and then blended it with an updated, cleaner and crisper art and visual style of PSO. In this combination resulted in a perfect balance of the PSO feel with the updated combat of PSU and the PSP titles.

I agree 100%

Malachite
Apr 29, 2011, 07:20 PM
That's basically exactly did, but I guess what all these nostalgia-douches want is just another release of PSO?

Modernize the game, make the combat better? Make the game more fluid, and create an over all improved experience?

Naw, let's just create another game that feels like it's from ten years ago with controls that feel like driving a tank, just to satisfy some nostalgia jones. Hey, as long as it's 100% like PSO, right?!

Yeah, complete stupidity.

Sinue_v2
Apr 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
Well of course combat resembles more like PSU(actually more like the portable games)because like it or not PSO's battle system is outdated.

Wasn't this one of the more substantial criticism of PSZero when it launched? That it felt "dated" and "been there, done that". That's even with including some PSU/PSP combat improvements such as dodging and lock-on strafing.

Flame
Apr 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
Wasn't this one of the more substantial criticism of PSZero when it launched? That it felt "dated" and "been there, done that". That's even with including some PSU/PSP combat improvements such as dodging and lock-on strafing.

Hey I'm all for evolution and improvement as long as its successful. The problem with PSU is that it was sloppy as hell. I'm not saying it needs to be a replica of PSO for me to be excited by it, but this dynasty warriors stuff will not do.

Malachite
Apr 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
So, the fact that they've improved the combat and allowed you more freedom with how you battle mobs, rather than the same 3 hit combos over and over, is Dynasty Warriors?

Might as well stop playing every action game ever.

If anything, this looks far more similar to a slowed down Devil May Cry.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not saying it needs to be a replica of PSO for me to be excited by it, but this dynasty warriors stuff will not do.

Well, that's what it looks like it's going to be. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy it. I doubt Sega will completely change the formula this late in development for a handful of displeased people.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
This doesn't even deserve replies anymore. After you try it you can decide. If you no like, you no play. Is it that hard? I know I don't play X game anymore when I give it a try and I don't like it. Seriously...

ShinMaruku
Apr 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
When I first saw pictures, I thought it was a hybrid (and it really is). It has the look of PSO but a cleaner, crisper image with slight influences of PSU. It's more PSO than PSU but the PSU bits are there.
I agree and if it plays like that and is handled properly it shall be great.

FEI LEE
Apr 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
This thread isn't about PSO2 anymore. It's PSU vs PSO once again. Honestly PSU sucked and still does suck feel free to prove me wrong but not with small redeming qualities it had because they are just that, SMALL.

I also don't understand why you would call someone a nostalgia addict just for prefering one playstyle over another you pretentious douchebags. Change does not always = good.

The gameplay was important to PSO players because I did not rely on smashing photon arts all day. You even had to worry about your spacing from your enemy in PSO which added some thought to the game on your part. If you watch the PSO2 vid it clearly looks as though spamming photon arts is still a viable strategy which is mindless.

I do not know for sure since I have not played the game and it is not out yet so this may change but go ahead and watch the trailer again and take a hard look at the game play.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 09:22 PM
This thread isn't about PSO2 anymore. It's PSU vs PSO once again. Honestly PSU sucked and still does suck feel free to prove me wrong but not with small redeming qualities it had because they are just that, SMALL.

I also don't understand why you would call someone a nostalgia addict just for prefering one playstyle over another you pretentious douchebags.

Well, calling PSU fans "pretentious douchebags" certainly isn't going to stop the argument.

Also, I don't understand why you would call someone a pretentious douchebag just for preferring one playstyle over another.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 09:28 PM

I also don't understand why you would call someone a nostalgia addict just for prefering one playstyle over another you pretentious douchebags. Change does not always = good.

The gameplay was important to PSO players because I did not rely on smashing photon arts all day. You even had to worry about your spacing from your enemy in PSO which added some thought to the game on your part. If you watch the PSO2 vid it clearly looks as though spamming photon arts is still a viable strategy which is mindless.

I do not know for sure since I have not played the game and it is not out yet so this may change but go ahead and watch the trailer again and take a hard look at the game play.

I dunno...

if they got you to actually post for the second time ever I'm just getting the impression that a number of people struck one of your "NO PSO WINS AND PSU SUCKS" nerves...

You say PSO vs PSU like you think the argument is stupid, but you jump straight into either side.

Not to mention most of us don't want PSU2, we want something new taking the good from PSO AND PSU, so calm your face.

Flame
Apr 29, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to chime in there and point out that we pso purists are definitely what you'd call pretentious. Sorry to say though, you're going to get a lot more of this now that the older fans are starting to trickle back with PSO2 being announced.

As for the "don't like it don't buy it" argument, I can't think of a less constructive thing to say. We are having a discussion about how to improve the franchise. Be you a PSO purist or a PSU apologist, we all want PSO2 to be good. This whole ordeal is going to have to be about compromise. and you can already see that happening with the game. Gone are the frilly dresses and thongs, back are the military-eque outfits from PSO. One that same note, gone is the precision based combat from pso/zero and back is the looser, flashier playstyle from PSU/PSP/PSP2. To be completely honest, I'm keeping an open mind about the whole thing but hope that the gameplay is ultimately tight and rewarding. PSU really destroyed most of the USA fanbase and SonicTeam is going to have to work hard with this game to earn them back.

Itoshi
Apr 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to chime in there and point out that we pso purists are definitely what you'd call pretentious. Sorry to say though, you're going to get a lot more of this now that the older fans are starting to trickle back with PSO2 being announced.

As for the "don't like it don't buy it" argument, I can't think of a less constructive thing to say. We are having a discussion about how to improve the franchise. Be you a PSO purist or a PSU apologist, we all want PSO2 to be good. This whole ordeal is going to have to be about compromise. and you can already see that happening with the game. Gone are the frilly dresses and thongs, back are the military-eque outfits from PSO. One that same note, gone is the precision based combat from pso/zero and back is the looser, flashier playstyle from PSU/PSP/PSP2. To be completely honest, I'm keeping an open mind about the whole thing but hope that the gameplay is ultimately tight and rewarding. PSU really destroyed most of the USA fanbase and SonicTeam is going to have to work hard with this game to earn them back.

So much truth in this post.

I must be such a video game hipster for loving PSO so much...

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 09:36 PM

I agree with the majority of this post, but still stand by my "don't like it, don't buy it" statement. I mean, what else are you supposed to say/do to someone who's displeased with the gameplay? Pat them on the back, give them milk and cookies, and tell them everything's going to be fine? Not much you can do besides tell them "too bad", honestly.

Also, for the highlighted statement in the post: those are just the starting outfits (I hope). We don't know what else Sega has in store for clothing (if any...*crosses fingers*). There's nothing wrong with having bikinis and other "fanservice" outfits, just as long as there are plenty of "serious" outfits, as well.

ShinMaruku
Apr 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Well, calling PSU fans "pretentious douchebags" certainly isn't going to stop the argument.

Also, I don't understand why you would call someone a pretentious douchebag just for preferring one playstyle over another.

I'm sure he loves the irony.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
So much truth in this post.

I must be such a video game hipster for loving PSO so much...

Too new, poser!

The hipsters play classic ps. 8D

Itoshi
Apr 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Too new, poser!

The hipsters play classic ps. 8D

You got me there.

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
This most definitely did turn into a PSO vs PSU thread again. The thought of which that I notice some of you can't even stand the thought of any essence of PSU within this new game. Looks, gameplay, or otherwise. You want another carbon copy sequel that will just continue to stagnate that age old series further? You want to go back to plain light-light-hard attack all over again and trot and jog to your next enemy and teleporter? You may as well admit you want a PSO HD. As I stated before, and will be stating again: You will continue to be disappointed. Again, and again.

We don't want a PSO again, we don't want a PSU again, we want a freaking game that can succeed. And the things we loved about each would make it better, as long as they incorporate it right! Some of us rather would have progress than stagnation.

Edit: Jeez you guys got ahead of me before I finished.

ShinMaruku
Apr 29, 2011, 09:50 PM
I want a progressed game. There were never 'good old days' if you go back you'd probably think they'd suck.
Its obvious things were tried with each and some parts are not coming back hopefully.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
I want a progressed game. There were never 'good old days' if you go back you'd probably think they'd suck.
Its obvious things were tried with each and some parts are not coming back hopefully.
Ahhh yes the golden day's,we'll never see them again,back when Golden Eye was the best shooting game on the N64,good times..(PSO blew my mind when I was 11-12 played the shit out of it.)

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 09:58 PM
This most definitely did turn into a PSO vs PSU thread again. The thought of which that I notice some of you can't even stand the thought of any essence of PSU within this new game. Looks, gameplay, or otherwise. You want another carbon copy sequel that will just continue to stagnate that age old series further? You want to go back to plain light-light-hard attack all over again and trot and jog to your next enemy and teleporter? You may as well admit you want a PSO HD. As I stated before, and will be stating again: You will continue to be disappointed. Again, and again.

We don't want a PSO again, we don't want a PSU again, we want a freaking game that can succeed. And the things we loved about each would make it better, as long as they incorporate it right! Some of us rather would have progress than stagnation.

Really? Can anyone who has actually played both PSO and PSU even call this a PSO vs PSU thread?

I thought it was obvious that PSO still stands as the better game even after all these years lol. No need for a vs thread when everyone already knows the outcome =P

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
I agree with the majority of this post, but still stand by my "don't like it, don't buy it" statement. I mean, what else are you supposed to say/do to someone who's displeased with the gameplay? Pat them on the back, give them milk and cookies, and tell them everything's going to be fine? Not much you can do besides tell them "too bad", honestly.

Also, for the highlighted statement in the post: those are just the starting outfits (I hope). We don't know what else Sega has in store for clothing (if any...*crosses fingers*). There's nothing wrong with having bikinis and other "fanservice" outfits, just as long as there are plenty of "serious" outfits, as well.

As long as they don't look like shit,SEGA has no excuse,I don't mind a little bit of fan service,as long as not all colorful and goofy.Gotta look cool,or really sexy imo.I don't wanna see everybody and their grandma running around in a thong,it get's kinda old after awhile.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 29, 2011, 10:04 PM
I played both A LOT and I'll say that this makes absolutely no sence. People have different tastes and opinions. If someone prefers one over the other that's fine. There's was no need for something like this. Insulting and what not. Then again this is the internet, who am I trying to fool? Some people just don't listen to reason.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
If there is 'fan service'-ish clothes released later on, I want it to be no where near the fighting portions of the game. Having bikinis be usable in lobbies/towns/events where there isn't any fighting happening? Sure. While you fight Dark Falz? No.

If they do take the route that they did in PSU? I'll live. I would prefer they didn't though.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
If there is 'fan service'-ish clothes released later on, I want it to be no where near the fighting portions of the game. Having bikinis be usable in lobbies/towns/events where there isn't any fighting happening? Sure. While you fight Dark Falz? No.

If they do take the route that they did in PSU? I'll live. I would prefer they didn't though.

I agree keep it in the lobby.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:10 PM
Bikini girls vs dark falz = nono?

XXDDD you suuuuuck *laughing at that image*

In japan the less clothes a woman has on, the more powerful she is, until she's naked.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:12 PM
Bikini girls vs dark falz = nono?

XXDDD you suuuuuck *laughing at that image*

In japan the less clothes a woman has on, the more powerful she is, until she's naked.

Then she be rap'ped by stuff

I realize they will probably be bikini people running around in my parties eventually in PSO2, I just don't want it :(

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:12 PM
I might as well fight Dark Faltz in my man thong.Seriously they should keep it lobby only that would make sense,and it wont kill the atmosphere.Getting tentacle raped by dark faltz is the last thing on my mind lmao.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
Then she be rap'ped by stuff

I realize they will probably be bikini people running around in my parties eventually in PSO2, I just don't want it :(

Like I said, only the weirdos and funny guys will dress their characters like that anyway, if you don't wanna be around people like that, cross the street. :O

Kimil Adrayne
That's my biggest problem with allowing silly clothing in the main parts of the game: it would kill any serious/dark atmosphere.

Shinji Kazuya

That would be a nice idea. Doubt they would do it though. > <

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:15 PM
I dunno...

A bad trip to the beach sounds pretty dark to me...

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:15 PM
That would be a nice idea. Doubt they would do it though. > <

Sad thing that none of this reaches Sega's ears :(

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
Really? Can anyone who has actually played both PSO and PSU even call this a PSO vs PSU thread?

I thought it was obvious that PSO still stands as the better game even after all these years lol. No need for a vs thread when everyone already knows the outcome =P

Perhaps I should amend that. I honestly don't want to get into that. Again. Sorry to say, but I can get real irrate when people come into this and trash the game for not being "their" expectations. Especially when its extremely early. It was honestly a response to Fee Lei's post. PSU disappointed many. Myself included. and they had a right to be disapointed as all of that over hyping of the game ended up being what wasn't. I ended up enjoying it over time though. But it made its own amends over time with PSP2i. Which people favor as what the freaking game should have been in the first place.

PSO a superior game? In execution yes I agree. The mechanics worked. PSU? Well, I can only compare points that it only did few things better, then got even better with its handheld releases.

Most biggest reaction I'm seeing from this thread is that it's "looking like PSU, therefore its going to be shit. It should never have been called PSO2."

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:23 PM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/pso2/msg/ Translate your response in Japanese.I tried doing it,I don't know if they'll see it or can understand,but a least try.I think they did the PSO atmosphere right in the trailer,but that's easy to fuck up with silly clothes and bright ass color's,keep it in the lobby please SEGA.Respect your old fans.I'm going to send them that.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
Perhaps I should amend that. I honestly don't want to get into that. Again. Sorry to say, but I can get real irrate when people come into this and trash the game for not being "their" expectations. Especially when its extremely early. When it It was honestly a response to Fee Lei's post. PSU disappointed many. Myself included. and they had a right to be dissapointed as all of that over hyping of the game ended up being what wasn't. I ended up enjoying it over time though. But it made its own amends over time with PSP2i. Which people favor as what the freaking game should have been in the first place.

PSO a superior game? In execution yes I agree. The mechanics worked. PSU? Well, I can only compare points that it only did few things better, then got even better with its handheld releases.

Most reaction I'm seeing from in this thread is that it's l"ooking like PSU, therefore its going to be shit. It should never have been called PSO2."

I dont agree with those people though. I think PSO2 is looking great. I think it's smart for PSO2 to take the GOOD things PSU did. PSU may not be the best in the series, but it does have it's good points regardless of how much of a let down it was for us.

PSO2 wont def please everyone though, that's for damn sure.

On a side note the hell is wrong with wearing bikini's while fighting Dark Falz? So now people want to dictate what people want their characters to wear? That's just plain stupid. These people are silly as hell they act like that's gonna ruin their time in the game. I feel bad for those people...letting such little things get to em xD

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hey it's all about the atmosphere,PSU you had none,Zero,leave that shit in the PSU games,but will it bother me to point where I wont play,nah.I'll still play it,but do I want silly ass clothes with every stereotype imaginable in their no,I want this to look like PSO,not PSU they had enough time to shine.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
That's like saying "so what if this is a black tie event, I wanna wear nothing but a towel" - Atmosphere ruined for other people.
I understand that you might not feel the same, I would just prefer this game keep a theme to it in fighting situations.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
That's like saying "so what if this is a black tie event, I wanna wear nothing but a towel" - Atmosphere ruined.
I understand that you might not feel the same, I would just prefer this game keep a theme to it in fighting situations.

I feel the same way,PSU was meant to have a lighthearted tone,this is suppose to have a darker tone for the fans of PSO,not PSU.They wont get it though as long as they can where their thongs,I guess.I don't mind thongs,but seriously..make it look natural.(It'll look so childish and ridiculous,but whatever I don't know what SEGA gonna do.)

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 10:39 PM
On a side note the hell is wrong with wearing bikini's while fighting Dark Falz? So now people want to dictate what people want their characters to wear? That's just plain stupid. These people are silly as hell they act like that's gonna ruin their time in the game. I feel bad for those people...letting such little things get to em xD

^This. Other people need to not tell me what to wear and not to wear. If I want to wear a bathing suit while fighting the God of Darkness, that's my damn business. Cool if you don't want to, but I do.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:42 PM
^This. Other people need to not tell me what to wear and not to wear. If I want ot look like a prostitute while fighting the God of Darkness, that's my damn business.

Not all games should be a sand box.

In the end, we'll just have to wait for more new info to see where this subject goes.

ThEoRy
Apr 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
The fact that ANYONE thinks this looks more like PSU than PSO is completely absurd IMO. Just about every aspect of what we've seen from this game is a throwback to PSO, aside from the photon art looking combat, and why is that a bad thing? It's not, it looks great. Would you prefer the simple LIGHT LIGHT HARD 3 hit combos, over and over and over?

This is the smartest comment I've seen on this subject yet. To compare this to other franchises, it's like saying you'd rather play resident evil 1 hd than res 4 or 5. Or, I'm a true Street Fighter fan because I prefer playing Street Fighter 1 over Street Fighter 4. GTFO!

Times change, technology changes, games change. Stop holding onto the past. PSO was a great game, for it's time. I should know, I was there from day 1 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. But I want it to evolve with the times so I can enjoy it all over again. And that is this game. This is PSO2.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
I dont agree with those people though. I think PSO2 is looking great. I think it's smart for PSO2 to take the GOOD things PSU did. PSU may not be the best in the series, but it does have it's good points regardless of how much of a let down it was for us.

PSO2 wont def please everyone though, that's for damn sure.

I played both and like PSU better, as a game because of the things its improvments did a LOT more for me than to PSO's "charms and atmosphere" that I found to be exaggerated from my own nostalgia anyway. If this wasn't true, people wouldn't secretly want this game to be PSO ep5 HD so much, the original game would still be good enough.

The only true screw up I saw in PSU was the game being incomplete, a few things in PSO that were taken out for no reason and SEGA completely mistreating the US/EU population. a number of things couldof been done better, but there was too much improvement for me to just up and say "Eww! PSO was better......."

Either way when I play either PSO or PSU I get disgustingly bored after minutes because PSO is old, and I played PSU for 4 years...

Which is why I don't want this to be PSU2 OR PSOHD, But so far the game is doing fine. So like someone said. Theres no point in even arguing PSO vs PSU on these forums anymore. Which will inevitably happen anyway, Since theres still room for fanboy speculation on info we haven't gotten yet.

This game shall be the Rapture! Not for PSO fans... e_e not for PSU fans e__e but for the last time already, for phantasy star fans!! D< (Actually Classic fans I'll have to feel sorry for, but their time has passed, unless they remake PS1's story in a seperate series)

Besides why would they close down the original japanese PSO servers JUST NOW, if this wasn't going to be try and please most of the PSO nostalgiacs.

But yeah, I'm getting broken record syndrome again, whuuuuuutever.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
How about this:

If this game were big enough population-wise, there could be non-restricted severs for those who wanted to battle in their skimpies and restricted clothing servers those who didn't want to see their partner's asses while fighting.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
Not all games should be a sand box.

In the end, we'll just have to wait for more new info to see where this subject goes.

---

Edit:

If this game were big enough population-wise, there could be non-restricted and restricted clothing servers (like roll playing servers in WoW) for those who wanted to battle in their skimpies and those who didn't want to see their partner's asses while fighting.

This is an online game...It might be a dungeon crawler but still, If you're not letting people do whatever and look however they want in an online game, you'd better hope it's a korean game with bad customization. :0

They want this to be a perfect endless adventure for people just like PSO and PSU...and it's 2011. @_@

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
But their "doing whatever and look however they want" comes at the cost of my "enjoying the game however I want to", ie.: not have their thongs ruin my feel for the game. I stand by my separate types of servers- idea.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
This is an online game...It might be a dungeon crawler but still, If you're not letting people do whatever and look however they want in an online game, you'd better hope it's a korean game with bad customization. :0

They want this to be a perfect endless adventure for people just like PSO and PSU...and it's 2011. @_@

Yeah, seriously. Trying to dictate the whole "PSO was a SRS game, and PSO2 is gonna be a SRS game, so no SWIMSUITS ADDSFSADEFDSA!" statement is extremely dumb. Let people wear what they want. If you, as an individual player, want wear heavy military, armor-esque stuff, looking all serious and badass: cool! Do it. I don't care.

But the minute someone says "Oh, well I want to wear a miniskirt and a bikini top!", the red-alert buzzer goes off. Let people do what they want, and get over it.

But their "doing whatever and look however they want" comes at the cost of my "enjoying the game however I want to", ie.: not have their thongs ruin my feel for the game.

Then don't play with said people. I'm sure they won't care, because they aren't going to let someone else's dictation of what they should wear impact their game enjoyment.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Okay, if I took your approach simply not play with them and kicked someone for having a thong and only a thong in my game, I would be branded something awful and bitched about.

*Shrug* I still like my separate server server idea.

Again though, I wouldn't be heartbroken regardless of how the final product of this game treats this issue.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 10:56 PM
I played both and like PSU better, as a game because of the things its improvments did a LOT more for me than to PSO's "charms and atmosphere" that I found to be exaggerated from my own nostalgia anyway. If this wasn't true, people wouldn't secretly want this game to be PSO ep5 HD so much, the original game would still be good enough.

The only true screw up I saw in PSU was the game being incomplete, a few things in PSO that were taken out for no reason and SEGA completely mistreating the US/EU population. a number of things couldof been done better, but there was too much improvement for me to just up and say "Eww! PSO was better......."

Either way when I play either PSO or PSU I get disgustingly bored after minutes because PSO is old, and I played PSU for 4 years...

Which is why I don't want this to be PSU2 OR PSOHD, But so far the game is doing fine. So like someone said. Theres no point in even arguing PSO vs PSU on these forums anymore. Which will inevitably happen anyway, Since theres still room for fanboy speculation on info we haven't gotten yet.

This game shall be the Rapture! Not for PSO fans... e_e not for PSU fans e__e but for the last time already, for phantasy star fans!! D< (Actually Classic fans I'll have to feel sorry for, but their time has passed, unless they remake PS1's story in a seperate series)

Besides why would they close down the original japanese PSO servers JUST NOW, if this wasn't going to be try and please most of the PSO nostalgiacs.

But yeah, I'm getting broken record syndrome again, whuuuuuutever.

Yeah man I cant really get into PSO after all these years it feel's awkward playing it now.JUST KEEP THE DAMN ATMOSPHERE,THIS IS NOT PSU,THIS IS PSO.I'm done talking about this shit,as long as they can keep the atmosphere,they can do whatever they want.Shit getting under my skin,and PSU fans had their chance,we've been waiting on a successor for PSO for years,and they want PSU to invade OUR shit with their colorful fan service fuck that,but whatever I'll play it anyway.We were here first,remember that.That's all I got to say about it.I've been visiting this site since 2002.I want a sequel to PSO,not PSU.Guess the kiddies dont know shit about the golden day's and they wanna change OUR PSO the fuck.. /end rant. They should have never put PSO on that title then if they gonna fuck it up.I have no problem abandoning SEGA.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 10:56 PM
This is the smartest comment I've seen on this subject yet. To compare this to other franchises, it's like saying you'd rather play resident evil 1 hd than res 4 or 5. Or, I'm a true Street Fighter fan because I prefer playing Street Fighter 1 over Street Fighter 4. GTFO!

Times change, technology changes, games change. Stop holding onto the past. PSO was a great game, for it's time. I should know, I was there from day 1 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. But I want it to evolve with the times so I can enjoy it all over again. And that is this game. This is PSO2.

Agreed.

I would be pretty pissed if PSO2 played like PSO on Dreamcast...PSU's combat system was way better than PSO's no matter how you look at it.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 29, 2011, 10:57 PM

ROFL! Awsome epic post! Everything that needs to be said.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Then don't play with said people. I'm sure they won't care, because they aren't going to let someone else's dictation of what they should wear impact their game enjoyment.

For the 20th time, THIS

ESPECIALLY if you don't care if people wear it in the lobbies, just don't play with them if you're really that close minded that it ruins the game for you. @_@

If your friends wear it... psht, don't play with them either, at least you're letting them be happy by not getting annoyed by it! :D

Vashyron
Apr 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
Haha. Is this going to turn into the "I do what I want" argument?

You obviously don't care about "atmosphere," but don't try to turn it into it's like I'm telling you what to do.

If it's in use it if you want, I'll deal with it. If the game's atmosphere becomes as "bright" as PSU I probably won't mind as much, but from what's been shown so far it's not and I rather just not see it breaking the "built atmosphere" at all.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
Agreed.

I would be pretty pissed if PSO2 played like PSO on Dreamcast...PSU's combat system was way better than PSO's no matter how you look at it.

Well, not "no mater how you looked at it", bosses were tougher in PSO (when not fighting over leveled). Remember dropping the White Beast Boss in 6 seconds or so in a group of six? Yeah. Didn't really like that :(

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
Okay, if I took your approach simply not play with them and kicked someone for having a thong and only a thong in my game, I would be branded something awful and bitched about.

*Shrug* I still like my separate server server idea.

I guess that will come with the territory. Just don't discriminate over something as silly and trivial as what someone else is wearing, and play the game. It's not going to hurt you. But, I think the separate server idea is a good one, and maybe they'll do something like that.

Yeah man I cant really get into PSO after all these years it feel's awkward playing it now.JUST KEEP THE DAMN ATMOSPHERE,THIS IS NOT PSU,THIS IS PSO.I'm done talking about this shit,as long as they can keep the atmosphere,they can whatever they want.Shit getting under my skin,and PSU fans had their chance,we've been waiting on a successor for PSO for years,and they want PSU to invade OUR shit with their colorful fan service fuck that,but whatever I'll play it anyway.We were here first,remember that.That's all I got to say about it.I've been visiting this site since 2002.I want a sequel to PSO,not PSU.Guess the kiddies dont know shit about the golden day's and they wanna change OUR PSO the fuck.. /end rant. They should have never put PSO on that title then if they gonna fuck it up.

Haha, damn. "We were here first"? ""Change OUR PSO"? "PSU to invade OUR shit"? Drop the sense of entitlement, dude. That's like 1st grade right there. The game doesn't "belong" to any one group of people.

daninja100
Apr 29, 2011, 11:01 PM
I will use my mega awesome abilities to see the future of PSO2 ...... PSO2 will be released 1-2 years LATER than the Japanese version. PSO2 will somehow become 5 years behind the Japanese server. Kids in Rappy suits will take over the PSO2 Servers. An economic unbalance from the result of kids in Rappy suits... 5 months later someone will reach the level cap. Person chills in a area and area becomes more populated. Cybering, and s3xting becomes public. PSO2 is renamed PSU2 ( not trying to troll ) I love how the game looks and the new additions but lookaing at PSU thats what I see for PSO2...

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
I guess that will come with the territory. Just don't discriminate over something as silly and trivial as what someone else is wearing, and play the game. It's not going to hurt you. But, I think the separate server idea is a good one, and maybe they'll do something like that.

Haha, damn. "We were here first"? ""Change OUR PSO"? "PSU to invade OUR shit"? Drop the sense of entitlement, dude. That's like 1st grade right there. The game doesn't "belong" to any one group of people.

I don't particularly care,like I said PSU failed over here,and if they can pull it off fine,but this not PSU,and your not getting that,and I hope they can please both of us.That's all I got to say.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
Well, not "no mater how you looked at it", bosses were tougher in PSO (when not fighting over leveled). Remember dropping the White Beast Boss in 6 seconds or so in a group of six? Yeah. Didn't really like that :(

That has nothing to do with the battle system though. Sega can easily fix this "issue" if they wanted too. Taking away Photon Arts isnt the cure.

They just simply have to make the bosses harder and with more HP. That's more of a balance issue than anything else. The fighting is good. But the balance is bad. PSO2 can have awesome PA's aswell, just make the bosses harder, faster, and with more HP so they wont die in 6 seconds.

Again, no one wants to see a fighting system from 2001 in 2011. As a PSO fan I want it to evolve and get better not stay in the past with a lame 2001 battle system. Sure back then it was great, but like that guy said times change. His SF example was perfect.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
@ BIG OLAF

I keep adding things in via edit so you missed it; I really wont care if it does take the PSU approach with silly clothes, I'd just prefer it didn't.
Not remotely game breaking for me really. I mean, I did the whole bikinni thing with the beast in my sig a couple of times.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:05 PM
Haha. Is this going to turn into the "I do what I want" argument?

You obviously don't care about "atmosphere," but don't try to turn it into it's like I'm telling you what to do.

If it's in use it if you want, I'll deal with it. If the game's atmosphere becomes as "bright" as PSU I probably won't mind as much, but from what's been shown so far it's not and I rather just not see it breaking the "built atmosphere" at all.

No I'm sure we all want the same epic atmosphere we got from playing whatever PS game we liked for the first time or whatever.

But people wearing bikini's isn't gonna ruin the atmosphere for me, whether the situation has to be "serious" or not.

edit:

Also @ninja guy: I was the KING Of THE 4TH FLOOR LOBBY!

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
That has nothing to do with the battle system though. Sega can easily fix this "issue" if they wanted too. Taking away Photon Arts isnt the cure.

They just simply have to make the bosses harder and with more HP. That's more of a balance issue than anything else. The fighting is good. But the balance is bad. PSO2 can have awesome PA's aswell, just make the bosses harder, faster, and with more HP so they wont die in 6 seconds.

Again, no one wants to see a fighting system from 2001 in 2011. As a PSO fan I want it to evolve and get better not stay in the past with a lame 2001 battle system. Sure back then it was great, but like that guy said times change. His SF example was perfect.

Why do you assume I'm a nostalgia stricken fan? All I said was bosses were too easy in PSU.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
No I'm sure we all want the same epic atmosphere we got from playing whatever PS game we liked for the first time or whatever.

But people wearing bikini's isn't gonna ruin the atmosphere for me, whether the situation has to be "serious" or not.

No it was so random in PSU,they didn't put the fan service in right imo.So colorful and cheerful damn,where's the despair and the fucking danger you know,plus PSU levels had a huge impact on it too,because they look like shit.That's like zero atmosphere right there.Oh and white beast wasn't a good experience either,it was just so much wrong with that game.

dias_flac_0g
Apr 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
Why do you assume I'm a nostalgia stricken fan? All I said was bosses were too easy in PSU.

I wasn't...

I was just explaining how Sega could fix the 6 seconds boss issue lol.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 11:09 PM

Because they were. The bosses in PSU are easier to kill than certain normal enemies. PSP2/i changed this, thankfully. The bosses are a lot smarter and powerful, but still not that strong. I want fighting a boss to be a damned ordeal in PSO2. I want to feel exhausted, worn-out, and beaten after the battle.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
I know that feeling. Since my exams ended I've been playing Final Fantasy Tactic 1.3 for some though-ass fights ( a fan-made update of an epic game that made it ACTUALLY difficult).

I need more of that in my videogames.

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah man I cant really get into PSO after all these years it feel's awkward playing it now.JUST KEEP THE DAMN ATMOSPHERE,THIS IS NOT PSU,THIS IS PSO.I'm done talking about this shit,as long as they can keep the atmosphere,they can do whatever they want.Shit getting under my skin,and PSU fans had their chance,we've been waiting on a successor for PSO for years,and they want PSU to invade OUR shit with their colorful fan service fuck that,but whatever I'll play it anyway.We were here first,remember that.That's all I got to say about it.I've been visiting this site since 2002.I want a sequel to PSO,not PSU.Guess the kiddies dont know shit about the golden day's and they wanna change OUR PSO the fuck.. /end rant. They should have never put PSO on that title then if they gonna fuck it up.I have no problem abandoning SEGA.

*Pats back* If they do a formula that is right, I don't think we'll be complaining... Well, some of us. I want to give this game a fair shot as I'm sure you're willing to try and give it a fair shot. They say they want to make this game satisfy the PSO fans. Let them show us what they can do to satisfy. I say its too early to bitch and moan until this product is considered near completion. And I'm all for the PSO atmosphere. Just don't let that be the only thing this game has going. They have the potential now, with the background of PSO and the refinement of PSU, to make this a broad game. No more excuses for them to not fulfill what they boasted.

Vashyron
Apr 29, 2011, 11:13 PM

I'd really like to hear you out on how you think it doesn't break a "dark or serious" atmosphere. That is if it was already trying to be settled in.

If say, picture the PSO Dark Falz battle with all the organic looking spaceship and then the supposedly "creepy" faces on the floor of the dead. Then you look at a party member beating the crap out of it in a Rappy suit or a Bikini/Bath Towel. To me that's just hilarious or wacky. (There atmosphere's gone.)

I'd like to see your point of view or anyone else's who feels that it doesn't break atmosphere.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
No it was so random in PSU,they didn't put the fan service in right imo.So colorful and cheerful damn,where's the despair and the fucking danger you know,plus PSU levels had a huge impact on it too,because they look like shit.That's like zero atmosphere right there.

PSU like was an anime, happy ending and perfectly orange sunsets at the end of the day. the whole game was what you think ruined it, not the bikinis

PSO like was a graphic novel well-written and to the point with a planned ending. Bikinis would've been nice for the ride, but we have dreamcast graphics...sowwy.

PSO2 we don't know yet, but it's looking good, everyone should be happy so far regardless of tiny negatives, if it really ruins it that bad for you, don't play the game. Obviously it's not that bad if you're still gonna play, so fughettaboutit.

@ vash, still not ruining the game for me, I'm not looking at the bikini girl's ass and laughing at her getting punched in the mouth, I'm trying not to step in the mouths of these giant faces on the ground while I hope I leveled up enough to be useful in the "last boss" fight.

Again if it really messes up your perfect little game for you to have someone in a bikini in your game just don't party with them.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
I'd really like to hear you out on how you think it doesn't break a "dark or serious" atmosphere. That is if it was already trying to be settled in.

If say, picture the PSO Dark Falz battle with all the organic looking spaceship and then the supposedly "creepy" faces on the floor of the dead. Then you look at a party member beating the crap out of it in a Rappy suit or a Bikini/Bath Towel. To me that's just hilarious. (There atmosphere's gone.)

I'd like to see your point of view or anyone else's who feels that it doesn't break atmosphere.

Oh, those outfits definitely break atmosphere. But, the thing is, not everyone cares as much about atmosphere being present all the damn time. I love atmosphere in games, and don't always want to "break" it. But, it's fun to wear "silly" (Rappy Suits) or "fanservice" (bikinis) outfits, too.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:17 PM

If say, picture the PSO Dark Falz battle with all the organic looking spaceship and then the supposedly "creepy" faces on the floor of the dead. Then you look at a party member beating the crap out of it in a Rappy suit or a Bikini/Bath Towel. To me that's just hilarious. (There atmosphere's gone.)

I just don't know what there thinking,I want the atmosphere back,that's all I want.PSU fans bitch at me,because I express myself about what I want in PSO,well fuck,I hope beast don't make in Olaf,so you'll quit,that would break you.:D:-P

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
I just don't know what there thinking,I want the atmosphere back,that's all I want.PSU fans bitch at me,because I express myself about what I want in PSO,well fuck,I hope beast don't make in Olaf,so you'll quit,that would break you.:D:-P

Aww, looks like I made him upset. Thing is, I don't care what you think about anything.

Also, even if Beasts aren't implemented, I'll be pretty annoyed. But! I'll get over it, and still play the game. Just like how you'll (hopefully) get over all your inconsequential grievances about "atmosphere" and whatever else.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:22 PM
Aww, looks like I made him upset. I knew it would get to you eventually. Thing is, I don't care what you think about anything.

Also, even if Beasts aren't implemented, I'll be pretty annoyed. But! I'll get over it, and still play the game. Just like how you'll (hopefully) get over all your inconsequential grievances about "atmosphere" and whatever else.

You'll never upset me,I could care else if they make it,I'm a human player.I'm just fucking with you.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:24 PM
This is the part where someone says "Then shut the up *smirk and raise eyebrow*"

But I'm not here to make enemies, I'm just impatient about PSO2.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:26 PM
I want info.BAD (Not here to make enemies either,cause really I don't know what the fuck SEGA doing,and when all of this all over,the arguing will stop,this is normal right now.)@Olaf I love you,even though I don't know you,just because we disagree with something,doesn't mean we cant play together when PSO2 comes out.Whatever happens,happens I cant change a damn thing,I just know I'll be playing it when it comes out,just hopefully SEGA will treat us right,and I'll stick around this time.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 29, 2011, 11:27 PM
Gotta love having the same damn thread everyday. :s

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:29 PM
and we'll have the same 5 conversations everyday till we get MOAR info!

(Funny how we get a whole video and everything still feels vague... mixing fanboyish thoughts into raging hormones.)

Vashyron
Apr 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
@ vash, still not ruining the game for me, I'm not looking at the bikini girl's ass and laughing at her getting punched in the mouth, I'm trying not to step in the mouths of these giant faces on the ground while I hope I leveled up enough to be useful in the "last boss" fight.

Again if it really messes up your perfect little game for you to have someone in a bikini in your game just don't party with them.

I'm actually mostly looking at the fact that basically after all trying to build up that atomsphere, Dark Falz ends up getting his ass handed to him by someone in a Rappy Suit / Bikini.

Oh, those outfits definitely break atmosphere. But, the thing is, not everyone cares as much about atmosphere being present all the damn time. I love atmosphere in games, and don't always want to "break" it. But, it's fun to wear "silly" (Rappy Suits) or "fanservice" (bikinis) outfits, too.

Sure in PSU I even wore the Rappy suit on occasion for lols.

Though I know some people will wear this sort of stuff from start to finish if possible. Heck some people do this on purpose to annoy others. (Hello PSU Rappy suit.) It's like people in TF2 painting their hats bright pink.

Like I said already, it won't break the game for me and I probably won't mind people with that stuff in my party to avoid them, I'll deal with it, just I rather not see them at all if possible.

FEI LEE
Apr 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
I dunno...

if they got you to actually post for the second time ever I'm just getting the impression that a number of people struck one of your "NO PSO WINS AND PSU SUCKS" nerves...

Implying I don't have things going on in real life that stop me from posting and that today was my first day back. Nice assumption, want to make anymore?

Also PSU does suck so you cannot really deny it. Problem?

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 29, 2011, 11:32 PM
Damn, why stop now? :<
I was laughing so much thanks to that discussion! :cry:

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm waiting on the Techniques system. Anxiously waiting. Don't show me ridiculous air combos for hunters and badass FPS for Rangers, but skimp on Techniques. There had better be explosions and pretty bright lights... And death. And I actually don't mind PSZ's Tech charging system. But keep the techniques seperate from each other. I want to use Rafoie when I feel like using Rafoie, not charge up to use it. I think that system has potential for broadening horizons.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 11:35 PM

O·pin·ion [uh-pin-yuhn]:

–noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

You can't speak for anyone else. While many share you view, many others do not. I'll admit PSU was far from the best game, but do I think it sucks? Nope. You can write a comprehensive list of 9001 reasons why it sucks, and I still won't think it does. So, that's null here.

EDIT: Uh oh, everyone. Looks like I'm being a...

pretentious douchebag

..oh, wait. No.

Seth Astra
Apr 29, 2011, 11:36 PM
I will use my mega awesome abilities to see the future of PSO2 ...... PSO2 will be released 1-2 years LATER than the Japanese version. PSO2 will somehow become 5 years behind the Japanese server. Kids in Rappy suits will take over the PSO2 Servers. An economic unbalance from the result of kids in Rappy suits... 5 months later someone will reach the level cap. Person chills in a area and area becomes more populated. Cybering, and s3xting becomes public. PSO2 is renamed PSU2 ( not trying to troll ) I love how the game looks and the new additions but lookaing at PSU thats what I see for PSO2...
This is the best post in this thread. A nice dose of humor as a break from the PSO vs. PSU drama.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
Implying I don't have things going on in real life that stop me from posting and that today was my first day back. Nice assumption, want to make anymore?

I dunno, man.

You're already pinning PSU on me like I'm in the PSU vs PSO war, and you sound pretty uptight about it. UMAD?

Blueblur
Apr 29, 2011, 11:38 PM
For now, the game resembles PSU simply because all we've seen is combat and cut-in chat. Honestly, I'm very happy with what I've seen thus far. You could call me a PSO purist but even I know that the combat in PSU series of games is better than PSO's combat. And from what we've seen, PSO 2 steps it up a notch. Now, that's not a knock on PSO's slower paced combat. It was fun but that combat system wouldn't hold up in today's world. Especially with character action games on the market that boast amazing combat (i.e. God of War 4, Bayonetta, etc.).

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Don't expect me to start anymore wars,cause really it's pointless,there's nothing we can do about it anyway.I'm just waiting now,patiently waiting.

FEI LEE
Apr 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
O·pin·ion [uh-pin-yuhn]:

–noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

You can't speak for anyone else. While many share you view, many others do not. I'll admit PSU was far from the best game, but do I think it sucks? Nope. You can write a comprehensive list of 9001 reasons why it sucks, and I still won't think it does. So, that's null here.

EDIT: Uh oh, everyone. Looks like I'm being a...

..oh, wait. No.

Your right it is my opinion but it's also your opinion that it does not suck and you also do not speak for the majority so who are you to say anything I say is null?

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
Your right it is my opinion but it's also your opinion that it does not suck and you also do not speak for the majority so who are you to say anything I say is null?

I was talking about stating your "PSU sucks" opinion as fact is null here, as not everyone thinks that. Also, saying "Problem?" just shows you were trying to illicit a negative reaction from Michaeru.

Chaobo99
Apr 29, 2011, 11:41 PM
From the looks of it, PSO2 seems to be a good mix of both worlds, from only watching a 4min trailer with very "basic" gameplay. We just haven't seen everything yet(mags, techers, PA/skill system). Good fast-paced combat is always win in my book ._.

FEI LEE
Apr 29, 2011, 11:41 PM
I dunno, man.

You're already pinning PSU on me like I'm in the PSU vs PSO war, and you sound pretty uptight about it. UMAD?

Not mad at all actually. There is no tone of voice via typing or else you'd know I'm actually quite calm. I just do not like you, theres a difference.

Corey Blue
Apr 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
From the looks of it, PSO2 seems to be a good mix of both worlds, from only watching a 4min trailer with very "basic" gameplay. We just haven't seen everything yet(mags, techers, PA/skill system). Good fast-paced combat is always win in my book ._.

I just really hope their not trying to cash in on the title,that would be a terrible thing to do.I just want the atmosphere the feeling of PSO not PSU.So from what I've seen so far it is a perfect blend,but they can easily ruin that.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 11:49 PM
Not mad at all actually. There is no tone of voice via typing or else you'd know I'm actually quite calm. I just do not like you, theres a difference.

You don't like me? I don't even know you. :0

All I did was disagree with something you said about a couple of video games, and then told you to calm your face, after you ironically called a group of people "pretentious douchebags." @_@

But okay, my name's mike nice to meet you.

Chaobo99
Apr 29, 2011, 11:54 PM
I just really hope their not trying to cash in on the title,that would be a terrible thing to do.I just want the atmosphere the feeling of PSO not PSU.So from what I've seen so far it is a perfect blend,but they can easily ruin that.

Yea, they sadly can. It all comes down to how they intend to balance the classes, or at least the skills. And of course content, but they can't possibly screw up this time ><;. The atmosphere of PSO would be great, hopefully keeping the "darker", "sinister" tone in play(opposed to the anime-like atrocity they call PSU)... Well, that's such a strong word, can't say I hated PSU at all...

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 12:00 AM
Yea, they sadly can. It all comes down to how they intend to balance the classes, or at least the skills. And of course content, but they can't possibly screw up this time ><;. The atmosphere of PSO would be great, hopefully keeping the "darker", "sinister" tone in play(opposed to the anime-like atrocity they call PSU)... Well, that's such a strong word, can't say I hated PSU at all...

I never hated it,but it didn't keep me that's for sure.PSO kept me until was lv 180(my internet got turned off.) and PSU until was I was level 130.I didn't think PSU was worth paying for so I canceled my subscription,plus all of my friends left.

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 12:03 AM
You don't like me? I don't even know you. :0

All I did was disagree with something you said about a couple of video games, and then told you to calm your face, after you ironically called a group of people "pretentious douchebags." @_@

But okay, my name's mike nice to meet you.

But that's exactly it. I don't know you and we disagree therefore you mean nothing to me. Either of us could die tomorrow and the other would not care since it is a random person over a video game board. I also don't care what your name is since you will never be anything more than a name on a forum to me and likewise.

Anyway I will admit that I was wrong with the name calling since this got way off topic.

Tyreek
Apr 30, 2011, 12:05 AM

I gotta agree with this. It would be a stab to make this something entirely different from its result. That's what happened to PSU at its beginning. I think they learned from that since this time. Like I said previously, this game needs to be executed properly. Just like how PSO executed itself in the beginning. Thats why it succeeded. They can do it. The question is can they do it well?

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 12:07 AM
I gotta agree with this. It would be a stab to make this something entirely different from its result. That's what happened to PSU at its beginning. I think they learned from that since this time. Like I said previously, this game needs to be executed properly. Just like how PSO executed itself in the beginning. Thats why it succeeded. They can do it. The question is can they do it well?

I agree.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
Warning, pretentious douchebag present.

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 12:11 AM
We all have a little douche bag in us,where is logic lmao.

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 12:12 AM
Warning, pretentious douchebag present.

Eh...lol

dias_flac_0g
Apr 30, 2011, 12:13 AM
Everyone's a douche bag here :)

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not a douche bag, I'm a dick. :0

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2011, 12:15 AM
This game is PSZ from the DS on Steroids. Sonic Team learned their lesson when they made PSU. I bought a DSi XL just to have PSZ after playing it on a friend's DS.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Apr 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
The reason it's named PSO2 is because it's a direct sequel to PSO.

Just because this game doesn't look exactly like PSO, and has some PSU look to it, doesn't factor into whether or not it should or shouldn't be called PSO2. If the story is a continuation of PSO (regardless of how many years have passed) then that's what would define it as a sequel, not how it looks.

Honestly, if Sega had released a trailer of PSO2 and it looked as much like PSO as it seems a lot of ppl wanted it too, I would have never given this game a second thought. I'm glad that they're working to make a new game that (hopefully) includes the better qualities of all the PS games.

GeoSword
Apr 30, 2011, 02:50 AM
Yeah screen name was a bad call ^^

Not saying it's looking bad, just that it's looking more like PUS2 than PSO2...

From what I remember, the PSU2 moniker goes to PSPo2, if you look at the DLC file it is labeled something like PSU2DOWN or something. Why? Probably because it was the base PSU engine with drastically changed gameplay additions and content from the original.

I wouldn't label this as PSU2 because it isn't. Some people firmly believe that in order for a "proper sequel" to be done (in this case PSO), it has to be *just like the last game* plus some added tweaks and changes, new content here and there with some adequate graphics to make it look like it's new.

Flame
Apr 30, 2011, 03:01 AM
To everyone that thinks these games should play like God of War or Devil may cry: That kind of system works well for the "one man army" kinds of games. The games that pit you against hoards and hoards of enemies with nothing but yourself to fend them off. This is a co-operative online action game. It's not going to be awesome if everyone is fighting on the field like Kratos. The combat should be tactical and precise. I'm excited about the game but this is my biggest worry so far. Where is the fun if everyone is prancing around like an anime protagonist. Give the characters weight and make every battle feel consequential. It's discouraging to see one character with a ginormous sword send crowds of enemies flying.

Malachite
Apr 30, 2011, 05:08 AM
Well, you do realize these are all probably starting-level enemies right? They're never challenging.

I'm sure there will be enemies that are a lot more difficult to defeat.

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 05:12 AM
I'm sure there will be enemies that will send the Buddha running back to his mommy crying.

Fixed.

-Wayu

Eidolus_Dyne
Apr 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
I was just thinking this morning about the fundamental and significant elements of a game series.

What do you think is more important, the parts that do change over time, or the parts that don't?

You've got the space-age theme, mercenary teams that hunt monsters that threaten civilization. That's not going to change. It's fundamental to the series.

How you go about executing that. The combat, gameplay, and other game systems, that's far more significant, and that must change and evolve. Think of it as the relationship between a foundation and a highrise. The foundation in this series in the themes and concepts. Which haven't changed much from PSO. Let's hope that other parts of PSO are still in place, like the atmosphere, level design, and peaceful into battle music tracks. I still return to PSO just to BE in the game. Not necessarily to play, but to just clear out the jungle and bask in its atmosphere. That's the sign of a strong level design, and probably PSO's few real strong points.

PSO had another strong point over PSU. It had some clever enemy tactics, that when mixed together created really interesting and difficult combat. PSU introduced new player power and control, but didn't create opponents worth fighting. Each game however does little to justify how they handle the end game. PSU got too easy, and PSO made it impossible to survive on skill alone without clearing a 30 level gap in Ultimate. Both let their RPG level up system kill the difficulty. Hopefully they get the balance right in PSO2.

There's a lot of animosity directed toward PSU, and I think it stems directly from three things.

-The poor enemy tactics.
-The lack of variety in level design and an over all generic atmosphere.
-The terrible way that updates were handled outside of Japan.

There's certainly others, but these were the big three. But this should also clear up some confusion. It's not that they gave us cool new moves and new control over our characters, it was that they didn't make any enemies that made using those powers interesting.

Also, in the defense of Devil May Cry. That game series has way more tactical control with a range of attacks that rarely reach into the massive area of effect that Kratos chains do constantly. The third DMC had an extremely well weighted combat system that had a lot of room for a player to learn and grow in order to master it. PSO2 could only be SO LUCKY. But when I see combat footage in that PSO2 trailer where a hunter launches an enemy in the air, a ranger keeps it afloat on a cushion of bullets, and the hunter moves on to fight other enemies... yeah, that's like "what if Dante was two people?!" style gameplay.

I don't just like it because I love DMC3. I like it because it offers more opportunities for players to express themselves through the game systems. Playing a good action game should be like playing an instrument, and in a multiplayer experience this can mean a team can create a beautiful symphony out of combat. So there's really nothing to be sad about, this will mean great things for the series.

Flame
Apr 30, 2011, 12:44 PM
Well, you do realize these are all probably starting-level enemies right? They're never challenging.

I'm sure there will be enemies that are a lot more difficult to defeat.

uh. I don't know about you but Boomas were terrifying difficult to deal with as a level 1 first time player. One swipe from those claws would take about 1/3 of your starting health after all. It was thrilling and memorable. Heck you were in trouble if there were like, THREE whole boomas and all you had was your starting saber. Why has that sensation been replaced by overpowered characters and pathetic enemies?

Haha oh man, do you guys remember how PSU started? The first level was this awful ruined space ship corridor filled with SEED enemies. The best part was that there was a level cap on ghural plains, so you'd be stuck doing that awful guardians ship level a couple more times before even getting to move on to the nice looking field. And then once you got to ghural plains you never left. Ever. Cause plains overlord was where it was at. The only quest anyone ever did. Pure poetry.

r00tabaga
Apr 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
There's a lot of animosity directed toward PSU, and I think it stems directly from three things.

-The poor enemy tactics.
-The lack of variety in level design and an over all generic atmosphere.
-The terrible way that updates were handled outside of Japan.

There's certainly others, but these were the big three. But this should also clear up some confusion. It's not that they gave us cool new moves and new control over our characters, it was that they didn't make any enemies that made using those powers interesting.

My 3 things...(1) Partner Machinery (2) elemental weapon system (3) bikini armor

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 01:23 PM
My three main issues with PSU were the music, the PA leveling system (too slow for my tastes), and the lack of a proper dodging mechanism.

-Wayu

johnwolf
Apr 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
it "KINDA" looks like melee was taken from psu but that's to give it a faster pace, they even gave the ranger a 3rd person shooter style of game play. personly i think that it's coming along great, hell i'd like it if you obtain quests out in the field but that's just me. oh and PSP2 is PSU2 just so you know.

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 01:37 PM
^

There are dynamic events that occur while in the field that force you do defend/kill something. There probably are more, but those two are the only ones shown in the trailer.

Whether you get rewards right after accomplishing them or after the big quest, who knows.

-Wayu

BIG OLAF
Apr 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
oh and PSP2 is PSU2 just so you know.

No, it was PSP2. Just so you know.

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 01:39 PM
PSP2's vastly different from PSU...

Anyways, let's save that argument for another day.

-Wayu

Blueblur
Apr 30, 2011, 03:06 PM
PSP2's vastly different from PSU...

Anyways, let's save that argument for another day.

-Wayu

It was the same game with new content and some minor changes. It wasn't vastly different.

Eidolus_Dyne
Apr 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah Wayu, my second tier of annoyances with PSU involves them not taking player abilities far enough. Giving us a proper combo system, evasive and defense maneuvers. I'd put music in with the lack of decent atmosphere. And for the record, I hate grind, especially when it's nonsensically prolonged. Those kinds of progressively accrued power ups should be sped up for players who play better, but it was just one slow trudge for everyone. Makes the lids of my eyes heavy just thinking about it. Yawn.

I've been playing some DMC since my last post and it's rekindled my thoughts on action combat. Combat in these games is a dance of offense, defense, and evasion. Fundamentally speaking. Offensive moves are about control. Not just controlling yourself, but exercise control over your opponents. That's why they call shotguns and area of attack effects "crowd control."

In a good action game there will be multiple levels of control, where attacks of different degrees of effectiveness control an enemy in different ways. Forcing an enemy into a defensive position, down onto the ground, or knocking them into the air are the extremes of control through offense. Aeriel usually being the most effective (and the most stylishly unrealistic). But it becomes difficult when the number of players is outmatched by the number of enemies, so you have to dance to maintain control, to keep them from attacking.

Evasion and defense are what you do when your control is not total, and it rarely will be. You have to reposition yourself to keep them from exercising control over you. You can see these principals even as far back as PSO, despite the fact that it wasn't well supported.

In DMC everything is super fast paced. It makes sense because Dante has to do everything for himself, at once. But when you start breaking up roles among different players, things can be a little bit slower. Twitchy combat can be exhausting anyway. Being able to cover yourself and your friends, control a crowd of enemies together, has two different outcomes. It's been the tradition in other games (mostly RPGs) to make these roles abstract and arbitrarily limited to specific players. "Healer" "Tank" ...come to mind immediately. But in games where roles can change on the fly, like Dante does for himself constantly, or how a player might "take point" in L4D and lead the group, or the way Magicka lets players use different magic to switch from support to offense to defense on the fly, combat becomes more organic. More expressive. Phantasy Star has let players branch out from being just merely one role. Classes were more a "focus" rather than a specific hard lined role. PSO2 boasts "hybrid combat" and from the gameplay, I think this is what it meant. Pushing away the lack of limits on player roles, so they can find them together in a team atmosphere.

Welcome to the ball, let's Dance.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
I still think PSU's atmosphere was fine...especially in story mode cutscenes...which is partially what made story mode bearable, just that it disappeared the second you entered a mission

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
I still think PSU's atmosphere was fine...especially in story mode cutscenes...which is partially what made story mode bearable, just that it disappeared the second you entered a mission

The level's didn't have soul,I don't know what happened when they decided to do that.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 03:30 PM
They could of easily set everything up properly, but it seems like all of the missions were made up of copy and pasted blocks, The missions could have been more unique and special looking with, the only thing them having left to deal with was the monster spawn patterns and changing the start points of the room like PSO or something.

But I guess that's just one of the issues of the game being incomplete.

Also speaking of dynamic event in PSO2 again; It would be cool if like the song had 3 different versions instead of just two.

So say a mini boss, or an interrupt event occurs, the music could become even more intense than just fighting normal monsters.

or even the opposite, with good events similar to the past, like when you get a rare monster spawn and it would change to happier sounding music... even though you're slaughtering cute animals as it happens........................

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
They could of easily set everything up properly, but it seems like all of the missions were made up of copy and pasted blocks, The missions could have been more unique and special looking with, the only thing them having left to deal with was the monster spawn patterns and changing the start points of the room like PSO or something.

But I guess that's just one of the issues of the game being incomplete.

Also speaking of dynamic event in PSO2 again; It would be cool if like the song had 3 different versions instead of just two.

So say a mini boss, or an interrupt event occurs, the music could become even more intense than just fighting normal monsters.

or even the opposite, with good events similar to the past, like when you get a rare monster spawn and it would change to happier sounding music... even though you're slaughtering cute animals as it happens........................

Yeah..PSU's atmosphere was kinda random lmfao.

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah..PSU's atmosphere was kinda random lmfao.

Well I was just talking about the mission set up for PSU, wasn't random just BAD...

All the games are pretty random...since a lot of RPG's in general REVOLVE around random. @_@

Corey Blue
Apr 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well I was just talking about the mission set up for PSU, wasn't random just BAD...

All the games are pretty random...since a lot of RPG's in general REVOLVE around random. @_@

That's true cant argue with that.

Callous
Apr 30, 2011, 06:18 PM
To everyone that thinks these games should play like God of War or Devil may cry: That kind of system works well for the "one man army" kinds of games. The games that pit you against hoards and hoards of enemies with nothing but yourself to fend them off. This is a co-operative online action game. It's not going to be awesome if everyone is fighting on the field like Kratos. The combat should be tactical and precise. I'm excited about the game but this is my biggest worry so far. Where is the fun if everyone is prancing around like an anime protagonist. Give the characters weight and make every battle feel consequential. It's discouraging to see one character with a ginormous sword send crowds of enemies flying.

That's exactly the problem. But forget telling it to this crowd. They've had this weight and tactical positioning explained to them more than a dozen times over the years, but they just don't get it. They don't get that in PSO the gameplay is so precise you can tell by little twitches in an enemy's movements when to dodge and when to strike. They don't get that you have an actual feeling of carving through monster flesh instead of just flying around all over the screen with swooshy effects and saltos and enemies flying everywhere and no one really knowing who is hitting what. They don't get it, won't get it, can't get it. They are happy to have their Devil May Cry with a Phantasy Star skin. They are happy as long as the screen is flashing and lots of numbers are showing up when they push the buttons. And it looks like that is exactly what they'll get.

That, apparently, is progress.

BIG OLAF
Apr 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
That's exactly the problem. But forget telling it to this crowd. They've had this weight and tactical positioning explained to them more than a dozen times over the years, but they just don't get it. They don't get that in PSO the gameplay is so precise you can tell by little twitches in an enemy's movements when to dodge and when to strike. They don't get that you have an actual feeling of carving through monster flesh instead of just flying around all over the screen with swooshy effects and saltos and enemies flying everywhere and no one really knowing who is hitting what. They don't get it, won't get it, can't get it. They are happy to have their Devil May Cry with a Phantasy Star skin. They are happy as long as the screen is flashing and lots of numbers are showing up when they push the buttons. And it looks like that is exactly what they'll get.

Yup, we're all dumb because we don't want an exact rehash of PSO controls. You're right. We're all monkeys that just want to see bright lights and flashing colors.

Callous
Apr 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
We're all monkeys that just want to see bright lights and flashing colors.

Well, I didn't think of putting it exactly that way, but if you insist ...

Dongra
Apr 30, 2011, 06:33 PM
This was also one of my concerns about the new combat. It seems so fast paced that players aren't going to have much of a challenge. This was seen with PA's in PSU for melee classes where you could knock down or launch enemies to prevent them from fighting. With this new hack n slash DMC style, I'm afraid that a team of four people will be able to juggle the enemies to the point they won't do anything. Of course, we haven't seen any large or tough enemies yet so who knows if they can be knocked over, stunned, launched, etc. So long as the game actually feels like you need to use teamwork, rather than each person juggles their own group and kills everything without needing to regroup.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2011, 07:11 PM

Ha? After playing it for many years I've must of played a different PSO from you. Most "tactical" stuff I saw was Rangers and Forces kiting stuff and Hunters just attacking things from behind, you know stuff even a child would know to do.

Biggest difference in "mindlessness" was that PSU had you have Scapes coming out the butt, even then it was "fixed" in PSP2.

t3hVeG
Apr 30, 2011, 07:17 PM

This is the silliest and most preposterous post I have ever seen. PSO's gameplay is so precise that you can tell twitches in the enemy's movements?!?

Thank you for the chuckle you have provided me with.

Vashyron
Apr 30, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah you could tell the twitches in enemy's movements, since they were so damn predictable.

t3hVeG
Apr 30, 2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah you could tell the twitches in enemy's movements, since they were so damn predictable.

Exactly.

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 30, 2011, 07:45 PM

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5716/catfaceplam.jpg

Sinue_v2
Apr 30, 2011, 08:03 PM
There are dynamic events that occur while in the field that force you do defend/kill something.

I hope those "dynamic events" aren't woven into every single run. Even with a bit of variety in them, knowing they're coming up each time you enter a game would get kind of hum-drum and be more of an annoyance you have to slog though before you can continue. Especially if there's very little variety between the event parameters and script.

Maybe have them be something that shows up once every three or four runs... enough to be a staple function of gameplay, but with an element of uncertainty to make it a "special" (even if just marginally so) occurrence. Maybe even throw in a few "Rare" events which give like x2~x5 drop rate on some of the more uncommon/unique items, and a boosted chance for at least one really good rare item.

Speaking of which, would merged loot tables which take into account everyone's SectionID be a good idea, or would it be better if the "Host" SectionID determined the rares? That could lead to more strategic planning of group selection and allow greater access to getting rares outside of your ID... but it could also lead to "Redria~, Whitill~, Pinkal~, etc, Only" segmentation where the goal is to keep the loot table limited to just a few specific drops.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
I hope those "dynamic events" aren't woven into every single run. Even with a bit of variety in them, knowing they're coming up each time you enter a game would get kind of hum-drum and be more of an annoyance you have to slog though before you can continue. Especially if there's very little variety between the event parameters and script.

Maybe have them be something that shows up once every three or four runs... enough to be a staple function of gameplay, but with an element of uncertainty to make it a "special" (even if just marginally so) occurrence. Maybe even throw in a few "Rare" events which give like x2~x5 drop rate on some of the more uncommon/unique items, and a boosted chance for at least one really good rare item.

Since the maps are supposed to be random, this may be the case.

Tyreek
Apr 30, 2011, 10:04 PM
They are happy as long as the screen is flashing and lots of numbers are showing up when they push the buttons. And it looks like that is exactly what they'll get.

As long as the system works, and doesn't cause imbalances(which no game is without an imbalance somewhere), I don't think it should be such a grandiose issue. Because thats what some of us are focusing on. If it works.

You say we'll never get it. Well, we probably we'll never get your mindset. Or the so called PSO purists who think exactly the same as you do. And likewise. Afraid of breaking from a system from 2001 and trying something new. PSZ went back to that system, but it didn't need to stay exact to do what it needed to. It also used favorable concepts from an "abomination" as you put it.

As the saying goes, "agree to disagree".

Palle
Apr 30, 2011, 10:42 PM
I hope those "dynamic events" aren't woven into every single run. Even with a bit of variety in them, knowing they're coming up each time you enter a game would get kind of hum-drum...

Maybe have them be something that shows up once every three or four runs...

Personally, I'd hope for even less... perhaps something like PSU's 'Illusion' rare missions. Make it special, with increased drop rates, as you suggested. Maybe throw in additional conditions once in a while to up the stakes, like a DoT field, boosts to enemy stats, or some such.

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 10:48 PM

PSO purist.

And massive luls when I read this.

-Wayu

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
PSO purist.

And massive luls when I read this.

-Wayu

What's wrong with being a PSO purist?

NoiseHERO
Apr 30, 2011, 11:13 PM

You've earned this gif.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/SideShowMel0329/1249780222287.gif

Milla
Apr 30, 2011, 11:14 PM

Me Vs a Booma

*Attack, Attack, Attack then moves slightly to the right, Attack, Attack, Attack Oh noes he is in range for his famous booma pimp slap! moves slightly to the left, Attack, Attack, Attack.*

Damn this game is technical but even after 10 years my elite skillz will prevail!

RenzokukenZ
Apr 30, 2011, 11:16 PM

Nothing until you start spouting your beliefs and forcing them upon the masses like a deranged evangelist.

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 11:19 PM
Me Vs a Booma

*Attack, Attack, Attack then moves slightly to the right, Attack, Attack, Attack Oh noes he is in range for his famous booma pimp slap! moves slightly to the left, Attack, Attack, Attack.*

Damn this game is technical but even after 10 years my elite skillz will prevail!

I agree that Callous was over glorifying PSO's game play but you are also over simplifying it.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
No, that sounds about right.

Crystal_Shard

Nothing wrong with being a PSO purist I say. That however, looks to me like a PSO fundamentalist. "My PSO way or the highway" is no way to have a proper discussion.

@Sinue_v2, RenzokukenZ: I'd liken those events to finding a Pizza Hut, KFC, Naura Cake Shop, or meeting Orga Dyran in the field.

FEI LEE
Nothing until you start spouting your beliefs

I agree with the last part of that sentence but regarding this part, is this not a board for discussion?

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 11:23 PM
No, that sounds about right.

There are more enemies than Boomas in the game are there not?

Tyreek
Apr 30, 2011, 11:32 PM
Only few instances off the top of my head where I am forced to be on my toes and be careful: Delsaber, Dark Bringer, Sinow Zoa/Zele, Delbiter, Ill Gill, Zu, Astrark, Goran, and most dangerous is the Girtablulu, which is far more overkill than a Mericarol.

I agree with the last part of that sentence but regarding this part, is this not a board for discussion?

I think the issue going on that I see, is that some discussions can be a bit... Too opinionated. So far I see Flame's posts as more open minded to the discussion of PSO2 than others. Willing to see where the game can go, but has his own critiques about the system. The game so far shows something that can work, but doesn't have to be a, dare I say it, 6th iteration of the PSO system many are cherishing a bit too damn much. PSZ being the first to tweak through that type of gameplay. This is something new, therefore, new concepts should be put in place. Maybe not too new, but as we see, this system retains concepts from both generations. Ones that work of course. And probably more to come post alpha.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 30, 2011, 11:38 PM

Yes, until you read the final part of my sentence. That's when things go out of hand.

Itoshi
Apr 30, 2011, 11:40 PM

Bro, I love PSO. A lot. And I know how you feel... just not the radical extent you do. My advice to you is this...

I think you will be a lot happier playing Blue Burst than looking at PSO2. Seriously.

The game is moving in other directions. It's evolving into PSO2. All we can do is believe in the design team, who want to make the successor to the game we all love. So if you aren't happy with that, all I can tell you is to go play Blue Burst or even PSO v2 DC. Just you won't get another PSO. That won't exist ever again, but that is why Blue Burst and such is still around right?

FEI LEE
Apr 30, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yes, until you read the final part of my sentence. That's when things go out of hand.

My point was you can spout beliefs without forcing them upon the masses like a deranged evangelist.

But like I said, I agree that some people do not tend to get their point across the way they aim to.

Niloklives
Apr 30, 2011, 11:55 PM
Callus went from over-glorifying into delusions of grandeur. I played PSO on DC and then GCN for years and logged well over 15k hours between all my characters. I was one of the first people to get to lvl 200 on ep 1&2. Back then, they assumed you were a hacker if you were that level, though some of us just never slept.

Point is I played PSO a LOT. i still play PSOBB once in a while. I still have Ep 1&2 and all my memory cards and keep the game for nostalgia, but even with all that I would never put PSO on a pedestal as a gaming masterpiece the likes of which the world had yet to see and has yet to see since.

It was fun, it was addictive, it had some good qualities to it, but it was just getting used to patterns and getting better gear to kill stuff faster. if you think enemies have distinct twitches to tell you about which direction they're going to turn at any given second, allow me to introduce you to an innovation called blinking. It sounds like they had you guys in mind when they invented it.

I loved PSO and I would love to see many aspects return, but the idea that it is utter digital perfection and the height of gaming evolution is simply absurd.

BIG OLAF
Apr 30, 2011, 11:55 PM
You see, the problem is simple. Well, it's not so much a problem, as it is a generational gap. Let me explain:

-When PSO came out in 2001, this website and forum was obviously nothing but PSO players. They yukked it up, had a grand old time, and generally enjoyed themselves for years.

-PSO starts to die down, somewhat. PSU is announced. PSO fans get hyped up.

-PSU turns out to be a disappointment to a lot of PSO veterans. Out of frustration, they retreat to the confines of their once-great game's tiny sub-forum on PSOW. Other PSO veterans leave the site entirely, (supposedly) never to be seen again.

-PSU/P/P2/i fans begin to "take over" PSOW forums after PSU is released. And, subsequently, more and more "Universe" fans flood to PSOW once PSP2 and Infinity are announced/released.

-PSO2 is announced. Old PSO veterans come out of hiding, and/or return to PSOW forums. From there, they're met with a plethora of PSU/P2/i fans, and the generational gap takes hold. Arguments ensue en masse about how "PSO2 should be like PSO, because it's a classic!", or "PSO2 should be like PSU/P2/i, because it's newer!", or what have you.

That's my theory about why a lot of users get into scuffs on the PSO2 board.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
You see, the problem is simple. Well, it's not so much a problem, as it is a generational gap. Let me explain:

-When PSO came out in 2001, this website and forum was obviously nothing but PSO players. They yukked it up, had a grand old time, and generally enjoyed themselves for years.

-PSU turns out to be a disappointment to a lot of PSO veterans. Out of frustration, they retreat to the confines of their once-great game's tiny sub-forum on PSOW. Other PSO veterans leave the site entirely, (supposedly) never to be seen again.

-PSU/P/P2/i fans begin to "take over" PSOW forums after PSU is released. And, subsequently, more and more "Universe" fans flood to PSOW once PSP2 and Infinity are announced/released.

-PSO2 is announced. Old PSO veterans come out of hiding, and/or return to PSOW forums. From there, they're met with a plethora of PSU/P2/i fans, and the generational gap takes hold. Arguments ensue en masse about how "PSO2 should be like PSO, because it's a classic!", or "PSO2 should be like PSU/P2/i, because it's newer!", or what have you.

Except i loved PSO and I still play variants of PSU. So theres another group that just loves Phantasy Star and wants to enjoy the next innovation.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2011, 12:00 AM

Some people like change, and others don't want to change, SEGA can only try to make a compromise.

But until then let's watch all the weak suffer. 8D

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!!!!!!!!

(The hell's wrong with me.)

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
OLAF's post is truth. Actually I couldn't describe whats happening better than that.

BIG OLAF
May 1, 2011, 12:03 AM
Except i loved PSO and I still play variants of PSU. So theres another group that just loves Phantasy Star and wants to enjoy the next innovation.

Oh, I know that there's exceptions. I was just speaking in a broad sense of what happened. I also share your view of "Phantasy Star lover that wants to enjoy the next innovation."

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 12:09 AM

I guess I'm a part of that group then. I just hate to see a game like this that seems to be innovating a new set of ideas be badmouthed because its not the "exact" way it was done a decade ago. Moreso that a game that some demean as complete crap that shouldn't exist, holds some precedence to this game. I say its far too early to say no when we only seen the icing on the cake. I feel it more justified to judge a project when its near completion than only partially done. Until then, I think its better to just keep an eye open.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 12:17 AM
Why is it that everyone assumes that all PSO players that complain about an aspect of PSO2 automatically want the game to be exactly like PSO? Doesn't that seem a bit elitist already?

Dongra
May 1, 2011, 12:21 AM
Apparently, if there is an aspect of PSO that you liked and would want in PSO2, then that makes you a PSO purist/elitist.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2011, 12:23 AM
Because some actually do, from the sounds of it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Callous was just trolling.

BIG OLAF
May 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
Apparently, if there is an aspect of PSO that you liked and would want in PSO2, then that makes you a PSO purist/elitist.

No, but if you make a post like Callous did, then yes.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
No, but if you make a post like Callous did, then yes.

I'd have to agree with Olaf on that one.

Anon_Fire
May 1, 2011, 12:30 AM
no way that looks like a PSU2.

Phantasy Star Online 2 looks like it has the best parts of PSO, PSU and the PS:Portable titles and mended them into one.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 12:38 AM

My point was posts like this are starting to old due to the generalization. To be fair though some PSO players are being overzealous. Makes me wonder if a game at the point can exist where both sides are pleased at once.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 12:42 AM
You actually dug up that post huh? LOL Well, I do stand by my point that we want a game that can succeed. It shouldn't have to do the same thing all over again if it can be executed right.

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 12:43 AM
It's trying to.

PSO's characters and apparent atmosphere with PSU's fast-paced action, to list a couple of examples. However, fans from both want more from there respected game into this one, although this is more seen by major PSO fans.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 12:45 AM
Why is it that everyone assumes that all PSO players that complain about an aspect of PSO2 automatically want the game to be exactly like PSO? Doesn't that seem a bit elitist already?

It's more so that so many ppl have come here since the announcement of PSO2 arguing against the ppl that say something from PSU should be in PSO2.

Over the past few months, almost every single thread and declined into a PSO vs PSU thread arguing about which was better (bear in mind this is the extreme of both sides).

Now personally, I just want to see a completely new game. I loved PSO and still love the good times I had on it, and to this day still play PSU. However, I wouldn't even give PSO2 a second glance if it was even close to a remake of either. Both games had their flaws, (I wont go into them here as they have been posted countless times already) but I feel that they both were great games.

The issue is that as Olaf said, we have two sides who are dedicated to their respective games, and they both want to recapture the fun they had "back in the day". And the way they see this happening is if this new game is as much like their beloved old one as possible.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 12:49 AM
It's trying to.

PSO's characters and apparent atmosphere with PSU's fast-paced action, to list a couple of examples. However, fans from both want more from there respected game into this one, although this is more seen by major PSO fans.

This sounds about right. It seems like a big game of tug of war since the game is trying to appeal to both crowds. It seems the biggest complaint amoung the PSO fans (being one myself) is that the actual combat itself is more reminiscent of PSU and combat is one of the deciding factors in a game like this.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with an expansive combat system. PSO was extremely limited and while some feel that added depth or challenge, others feel it was monotonous.

The trick here is to have a fast paced game with expansive combat options that maintain a level of difficulty to validate those options and force you to utilize them in a team based dynamic without making them feel gimmicky.

We'll just have to wait and see what comes.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with an expansive combat system. PSO was extremely limited and while some feel that added depth or challenge, others feel it was monotonous.

The trick here is to have a fast paced game with expansive combat options that maintain a level of difficulty to validate those options and force you to utilize them in a team based dynamic without making them feel gimmicky.

We'll just have to wait and see what comes.

But that's just the argument if you take a look. Why does PSO2 need to be fast paced? PSO was not so is it not possible now to have a great Phantasy Star title without anime inspired acrobatics?

I'm also not saying the combat could not be changed before I get attacked.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 12:59 AM
This sounds about right. It seems like a big game of tug of war since the game is trying to appeal to both crowds. It seems the biggest complaint amoung the PSO fans (being one myself) is that the actual combat itself is more reminiscent of PSU and combat is one of the deciding factors in a game like this.

Understandable. Honestly the system was perfected better in PSP2i. But I don't think it would be completely the dominating factor of the battle system. Its got some new factors that I've been observing, such as the improved fps, and aerial combat. Defending and dodging and the like were accepted factors of the PSP series and photon arts being PSU factors. I'm sure the bare bones of the systems will be the basic formula of PSO, since PSU was only a take on the Light Attack/Hard Attack system. It may go its own route, you never know. They still got a lot more to show.

What I do hope for with this battle system is that they'll take a chapter from PSZ, when it introduced the Technique charging system. That was a interesting take on the original formula. Different effects for different charges. If they can push that concept further, the Force class could put themselves on par with the current styles of the other classes.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:31 AM
But that's just the argument if you take a look. Why does PSO2 need to be fast paced? PSO was not so is it not possible now to have a great Phantasy Star title without anime inspired acrobatics?

I'm also not saying the combat could not be changed before I get attacked.

fast paced does not mean devil may cry/god of war. fast paced means fluid animation and constant activity. running around rooms as 3-6 enemies spawn and run towards you so you could gather them up and then use your sword got old. I know it's just an example, but in general, PSO was a sluggish game. I'm not bashing it for that, as i said i still enjoy it, and I'm not advocating crazed air combat where enemies are just fodder for your awesome skills, I'm talking about a system that requires speed, precision, and a deeper understanding of the system in order to excel.

Game are supposed to make your brain active. An action based game, which PSO was, should readily offer constant stimulation and a need to adapt. PSO didn't offer that and PSU did a poor job of it as well.

As much as I enjoyed both games, after a while the games put you on auto pilot and you could just hit buttons and do well. As much as people want to argue for the timing system of PSO, you gain muscle memory that takes the timing aspect away as the active process is removed and it becomes an automated response. The brain eventually drops "press Y, wait, press X, wait, Press X" and becomes "combo". I got to a point where with any weapon i could combo effortlessly while doing something else and before that I could use the audio cues so I just knew what to press by when the weapons sound effect stopped.

That said, nothing being described by me is suggesting a dante wannabe and his 3 wannabe friends off to save the world for the next installment. At the same time, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few weapons skills and extended combos when the game is structured in a way that necessitates them for survival.

The devil may cry model is not fast paced. The basic objective in devil may cry is "don't drop the combo" and to titillate you with visuals, giving you a light show as you press buttons. hoards of enemies come out to facilitate this structure, but you can have move lists and constant action without it breaking down to you mashing buttons til you reach the exit and still offer you a sense of fulfillment for overcoming an obstacle. But if you need oversimplified mechanics and heavy structure to enjoy a game, this may not be your generation.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 01:40 AM
fast paced does not mean devil may cry/god of war. fast paced means fluid animation and constant activity. running around rooms as 3-6 enemies spawn and run towards you so you could gather them up and then use your sword got old. I know it's just an example, but in general, PSO was a sluggish game. I'm not bashing it for that, as i said i still enjoy it, and I'm not advocating crazed air combat where enemies are just fodder for your awesome skills, I'm talking about a system that requires speed, precision, and a deeper understanding of the system in order to excel.

Game are supposed to make your brain active. An action based game, which PSO was, should readily offer constant stimulation and a need to adapt. PSO didn't offer that and PSU did a poor job of it as well.

As much as I enjoyed both games, after a while the games put you on auto pilot and you could just hit buttons and do well. As much as people want to argue for the timing system of PSO, you gain muscle memory that takes the timing aspect away as the active process is removed and it becomes an automated response. The brain eventually drops "press Y, wait, press X, wait, Press X" and becomes "combo". I got to a point where with any weapon i could combo effortlessly while doing something else and before that I could use the audio cues so I just knew what to press by when the weapons sound effect stopped.

That said, nothing being described by me is suggesting a dante wannabe and his 3 wannabe friends off to save the world for the next installment. At the same time, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few weapons skills and extended combos when the game is structured in a way that necessitates them for survival.

The devil may cry model is not fast paced. The basic objective in devil may cry is "don't drop the combo" and to titillate you with visuals, giving you a light show as you press buttons. hoards of enemies come out to facilitate this structure, but you can have move lists and constant action without it breaking down to you mashing buttons til you reach the exit and still offer you a sense of fulfillment for overcoming an obstacle. But if you need oversimplified mechanics and heavy structure to enjoy a game, this may not be your generation.

Why did you use PSO as an example when I clearly stated that I did think the combat needed to stay the same? I also never said anything about DMC in my post. As for what games ar supposed to be that is opinion even though I FULLY agree with you on that aspect. Also where did I say I needed over simplified mechanics this gen?

Please pay attention to my posts or feel free to correct me if I missed something you were trying to get across since you did not answer my question and it seems you managed to generalize me.

Dongra
May 1, 2011, 01:42 AM
I'm really not liking the way things have been going on the board since the trailer came out. I moved from the Scht boards to here for this very reason, the my opinion is fact and yours means nothing reason, and though I haven't always agreed with the people I've come across on this board, at least I find most of them tolerable at worst. Now it's getting to the breaking point.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 01:49 AM
I'll leave you guys with this to start fresh: What do you speculate the technique system will be like? Are you in favor of PSO(level disks that make the effects better), PSU(tech leveling that makes the effects better) or PSZ(tech charging for a different level effect)?

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:49 AM
Why did you use PSO as an example when I clearly stated that I did think the combat needed to stay the same? I also never said anything about DMC in my post. As for what games ar supposed to be that is opinion even though I FULLY agree with you on that aspect. Also where did I say I needed over simplified mechanics this gen?

Please pay attention to my posts or feel free to correct me if I missed something you were trying to get across since you did not answer my question and it seems you managed generalize me.

I was posting that not just to you personally but as a general statement. This of it this way...I started off using your post as a jumping off point for something more general, it wasn't meant to be taken personally.

Also I thought I did answer your question. Fast paced is not synonymous with the anime style action of DMC, but fast paced does mean a level of constant stimulation and helps quell a sense of repetition because your mind is constantly active. PSU was full of cut and paste monsters and environments and was also fairly slow paced as there were large sections where you'd just run around aimlessly til a few monster spawned and a gate opened. so i'm not saying PSU is the way to go either. i have played PSP2 and PSP2i however, and I felt they did a much better job of keeping you active an engaged than in previous installments.

blace
May 1, 2011, 01:50 AM
Let's keep it simple and say PSO was the best, and PSU just took up that gap when people wanted to see another online related game.

How hard can it be to keep to not have people at eachothers throats? I know it sounds a bit rash, but honestly, no need to rag on eachother like this.

@Tyreek never tried PS0, but I kinda like how PSO did it, albeit rather time consuming. Could implement a possible limit to how far you can level it before you need to get another disk to gain any real strength. From Foie level 1 to max of level 10 before you need another Foie disk to continue the tech level.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yes. Also, I've already explained that the generational gap is what ignites 99% of these unneeded flame wars.

The diehard PSO "veterans" want PSO2 to go back to the way things were (pulling back), and the PSU/P2/i "veterans" want PSO2 to keep going in the same direction as those games (pushing forward). It's an endless tug-o-war, with other people, who want aspects of both, stuck in the crossfire.

And, as much as I hate to say, or even think this: it's most likely not going to stop. It can't. The difference in views as to what PSO2 "should" be is much too vast between the generations. They want what they want, and there's no convincing either side otherwise.

*Predicted this at least 4 times ever since the forum got more active because of the video*

I'm just gonna enjoy it, while I'm procrastinating things. :0

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 01:54 AM
Your post (which is true) makes me wonder if it will stop even after the game is out or if this is the way the boards are destined to be for years to come.

Well, when the game is out, any arguments would just simply be from butthurt.

As for Tyreek's question about techs, finding the tech disks seems better since it was grossly tedious to level them up in PSU. And having them charge would be a grand idea, giving Forces that oomph to compete with the other classes, as from what we have seen.

BIG OLAF
May 1, 2011, 01:57 AM
I just hope they have more interesting spells, like Foverse, Sazonde, and Nagrants from Infinity. They're all immensely entertaining. I disliked how all the spells in PSU were (mostly) just clones of each other, with different elemental attributes attached to them.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 01:58 AM
I think I'm gonna turn this question into a poll. Hopefully its not gonna be overun and thrown out the window. Carry on in the meantime.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:59 AM
Tyreek I appreciate it, its funny because they'll run with it as long as its not me saying its time to change things back to the subject (which I did in like all of my responses, except for the insanity part).

Hopefully, and I'm going to stick to what I believe, and hope they keep its technique system fresh, different, and original like PSO. PSU didn't, we all know this, denial of this is out of foolishness and pride. Every technique in PSO worked differently, I just hope they make them more consistent with their appearence. Aka, say Gibarta, would be a spray of hitboxes hence the icicles, instead of one hitbox while icicles just seep through the enemy like its nothing.

the only thing that PSU did differently was you had to bind the spells to the weapons. The system was otherwise very similar.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 02:00 AM
I was posting that not just to you personally but as a general statement. This of it this way...I started off using your post as a jumping off point for something more general, it wasn't meant to be taken personally.

Also I thought I did answer your question. Fast paced is not synonymous with the anime style action of DMC, but fast paced does mean a level of constant stimulation and helps quell a sense of repetition because your mind is constantly active. PSU was full of cut and paste monsters and environments and was also fairly slow paced as there were large sections where you'd just run around aimlessly til a few monster spawned and a gate opened. so i'm not saying PSU is the way to go either. i have played PSP2 and PSP2i however, and I felt they did a much better job of keeping you active an engaged than in previous installments.

I see, well thanks for clearing that up. While I agree that faced paced and anime style action are not mutually exclusive, one look at the trailer shows characters performing multiple flips with giant swords, dashing, performing air combos, etc. I'm not saying that it bothers me that much but at the same time I've just been wondering why they chose that style of combat over something more "tactical" per say since combat was more "realistic" if you will in PSO and I use that lightly.

I agree with your insight on why the game should keep you immersed though.

Vashyron
May 1, 2011, 02:02 AM
Has no one said this yet? How about a Disk system which you can find the disks or level them up?

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 02:03 AM
Tryeek brought it up. It's how we ended up talking about techs in the first place.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 02:07 AM
I think I'll grab a soda. But before that, I'll leave you guys with this to start fresh: What do you speculate the technique system will be like? Are you in favor of PSO(level disks that make the effects better), PSU(tech leveling that makes the effects better) or PSZ(tech charging for a different level effect)?

I'd like to see them create a new system entirely. I was never l that fond of the "finding disks" system, but PSU's lvling took way too long to get anywhere productive. I did like PSZ's combat system for techs (i.e. charging for different techs).

I guess if I had to pick one, I'd go with something similar to PSZ, but as we're not limited by the lack of buttons, maybe just make it a charge system for the tech, so the longer you hold them the bigger the blast/more dmg. Whereas if you just press it quick you fire off a fast weaker tech.

I feel this system would work well in the faster based game play.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 02:13 AM
Wouldn't charging techs essentially slow down the gameplay for tech users though? Just wondering

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 02:27 AM
You know since you brought that up, I figure it would fit with the whole "For advanced players" style that Forces are always known for in each game. We could for instance say that basic techniques would be fast paced. But utilizing even stronger versions of techniques would require one to "concentrate" as it were, hence the charging. Sacrificing speed for more power. That's at least what I got so far. In all honesty, I can't say that Forces in PSZ were slow paced from using charging techniques, since all classes moved at the same pace and all classes basically used Photon Arts as their charge factor for melee or ranged weaponry.

Dongra
May 1, 2011, 02:31 AM
My only concern with that is how would you know when charging is going to be more beneficial than spamming? Would charging increase the chance of inflicting a status ailment or possibly knock down or stun more efficiently? I wouldn't mind seeing a kind of combo system with techs where you can link basic blasts and charge blasts to produce different results.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 02:45 AM
I see, well thanks for clearing that up. While I agree that faced paced and anime style action are not mutually exclusive, one look at the trailer shows characters performing multiple flips with giant swords, dashing, performing air combos, etc. I'm not saying that it bothers me that much but at the same time I've just been wondering why they chose that style of combat over something more "tactical" per say since combat was more "realistic" if you will in PSO and I use that lightly.

I agree with your insight on why the game should keep you immersed though.

Well my point was they can have a little of the crazy acrobatics while maintaining a tactical aspect. Realistic is one of those words that is so anamorphic, it's meaning is completely lost in a discussion like this. With that in mind, I'd say PSO and PSU were equally unrealistic, while one was more willing to adhere to the rules of physics, another was more willing to play to common sense (in some areas), banking on a suspension of disbelief.

PSO didn't have over the top acrobatics
PSU didn't have you slow to a crawl as you came within proximity of immediate danger

PSO's weapon selection and attack animations were based entirely on character class leaving no room for a character's individuality(PSU at least had Photon Arts to allow variety and adaptation with a single weapon type and multiple classes to allow for variety is weapon selection to have a sense of personal preference for the user and the character)
PSU let people go into lethal situations in nothing but bikini swimwear with no repercussions.

You could go back and forth with this stuff and neither game is going to win out.

You can, however, have a game that allows for physical abilities that rate somewhere in the realm of superhuman and maintain a need for tactics. The game has to be built for it though.

In this game they've added jumping allowing for better mobility and for rangers to find tactical vantage points; and the abilities to dodge roll and block from PSZ/PSP2 are coming back.

They've apparently added variety to weapon types, giving us access to an assault rifle type that has both burst fire and semi-auto modes.

Using Photon Arts uses Photon Points (PP) which was bound to the weapons in PSU and could be replenished with an item. In this game PP is a character stat and if it's anything like PSP2, it's like stamina and replenishes over time with a bonus to regeneration for direct, normal melee combat. There is no way to regenerate PP through items or switching weapons.

We've yet to see how things will be balanced, so we can't really say anything about it beyond what the video shows us. They are clearly taking things from PSP2 and implementing them, and the game definitely feels more like PSO in terms of the visuals.

Beyond that, we could easily compare the game to monster hunter frontier and draw similar parallels. Games are going to be like other games. Sega's going to be looking for things that work and things that can be improved from both systems while adding in new things. The vets that stuck it out through PSU found that sega did on occasion respond to fan outcry and tried to add in features from PSO that people missed and implement them in ways that offered compromise.

For example, PSO's timing system was eventually added to PSU. While you could still mash your way through combat, you were rewarded for timing your attacks with additional damage and a boost to PP, allowing for more constant use of higher output PAs

The point here is as long as sega extends their efforts into the world the characters interact with, this may shape up to be a pretty amazing game.

Has no one said this yet? How about a Disk system which you can find the disks or level them up?

Why not have both? Is there any reason you shouldn't be able to improve a tech/PA through use but allow upgrades by buying or finding them?

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 03:06 AM
Wouldn't charging techs essentially slow down the gameplay for tech users though? Just wondering

In a way, yes. The idea I was going for was basically have the weaker techs cast much faster (like a weak attack for example) to deal with the smaller enemies that wouldn't really need a massive explosion to deal with, then when you run into a bigger enemy have it so you can charge, or focus your power into a much more powerful attack.

I feel this would allow the forces to keep pace with the hunter a little better than in the past, since typically forces are not a front range class.

But this is getting way off topic so I'll leave it at that ^.-

Vashyron
May 1, 2011, 03:09 AM
Why not have both? Is there any reason you shouldn't be able to improve a tech/PA through use but allow upgrades by buying or finding them?

This is actually what I meant.

Accidentally put "or" instead of "and." Haha.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 03:18 AM
Actually, come to think of it the name of the topic should be changed since it seemed to spark nothing but arguments in the first place.

lol very true. Sadly that's how most of these threads end up (As I've detailed before).

It all comes down to "If you like the game then play it, if not, don't". I for one will do exactly what I did with PSU, give it a shot, if I don't like it, well, there's plenty of toher games I can play.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 03:25 AM
lol very true. Sadly that's how most of these threads end up (As I've detailed before).

It all comes down to "If you like the game then play it, if not, don't". I for one will do exactly what I did with PSU, give it a shot, if I don't like it, well, there's plenty of toher games I can play.

This is a Phantasy Star board your not supposed to tell people other games exist :eek:

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 03:28 AM
This is a Phantasy Star board your not supposed to tell people other games exist :eek:

Orite... I'd like to recant my earlier statement, PS-(insert whichever title you want here to avoid arguments) are the only games worth playing. Ever.

(is that better?) :p

Eidolus_Dyne
May 1, 2011, 04:54 AM
A conversation about conversing about the PSO series. I hope this is the ceiling to all this meta.

I think this is a sign of the conversation coming to a close, we've had 15 pages of meta and recap.

Although I think there's a lot to be said about comparing each game in the series. What has and hasn't changed. The influence Sakai has had on the series. You know... the guy in charge of the original PSO, but not PSU, and then every PS game after that? I'd like to map the changes. We could start a real topic dedicated to discussing, very specifically, each iteration of a feature in each game in comparison. Like a kind of Retrospective. Since wild speculations about PSO2 have gotten ... old. We could do a little looking back?

With dignity though. C'mon guys, step away from each others throats.

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2011, 04:59 AM
Wait sakai wasn't in charge of PSU?

But once they put him back in charge things start looking good again?

Nah...maybe it was destiny...whose to say we wouldn't get what's looking like the near perfect PS without PSU's screw ups.

Tyreek
May 1, 2011, 01:25 PM
I got this info down from the credits, and wiki of course, so...

Yuji Naka (Executive Producer)
Takao Miyoshi (Producer)
Satoshi Sakai (Director)

I didn't hear much about Sakai during PSU's limelight, but I know when PSP2 started production, he started to become known, especially as one of the people behind PSO. And the games started getting better. Its hard to say if he had proper involvement as director of the series. I was hearing Takao Miyoshi's name thrown about more.

BIG OLAF
May 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
I wiki'd it, so take this lighty.

Yuji Naka (Executive Producer)
Takao Miyoshi (Producer)
Satoshi Sakai (Director)

I didn't hear much about Sakai during PSU's limelight, but I know when PSP2 started production, he started to become known, especially as one of the people behind PSO. And that games started getting better.

Yes. From what I remember, he also worked of PSO somewhat. But, since he's taken over most of the Phantasy Star franchise, the games have been outstanding (PSP2, Infinity, and so far PSO2).

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
And ignoring his constant trolling us for drops, he's done a good job learning from past mistakes.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
What are you talking about, my drops were a-ok.

8-)

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
You had the US version. :/

But let's not go there again.

-Wayu