PDA

View Full Version : Free To Play...hopefully? :)

Pages : 1 [2]

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 12:50 AM
you were specifically talking about 16 bit games, though lol. I'll let it go cause I feel like giving you a break

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 12:53 AM
you were specifically talking about 16 bit games, though lol. I'll let it go cause I feel like giving you a break
All I've been saying is a lot of those old games didn't have high enough graphics to be easily understood like the very first Zelda game actually had to come with a map so you could find your way around. Other games like Sol Deace gave you a story explanation in the game and then you just started shooting and since it was on Genesis it was fairly easy to figure out, because genesis game didn't have 15,000,000 possible control combinations.

WolfDreamer
May 4, 2011, 12:57 AM
Theeere it is, a smart statement right before this mass derailing happened.

I feel that the consensus is that if Sega provides the content that a $10 a month subscription should provide that everyone would be more than happy to pay it. I agree completely, but if we are going to get slow leaks of content like PSU did, I'd rather have a larger player base and have the game be free.

Comparing PSU to other free games isn't exactly fair, because we are dealing with Sega here. We have a very large company that should be able to support a pay to play game or free game, but history has shown us that they need incentive.

Bringing this back up because I believe a lot of us are willing to pay that $10/month for a game that will actually give back $10/month worth of service. People that played PSU (myself included) are worried that PSO2 will just be another non-updated game for the EN/US users while we hear about all the nifty support JP servers get. I'm sorry, but changing the lobbies and decoration items every 1-2 months does NOT warrant a subscription fee for a game.

Personally I'm hoping they do stay subscription based and have decent support/updates this time. However, if its just going to be PSU 2.0 as far as the EN/US is concerned then they might as well make the game F2P.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 12:58 AM
uh...you mean the map that came in the box? that was a novelty just like how the cartridge was gold. I never once used the map and played just fine. I have no idea what you're on about.

Theeere it is, a smart statement right before this mass derailing happened.

Bringing this back up because I believe a lot of us are willing to pay that $10/month for a game that will actually give back $10/month worth of service. People that played PSU (myself included) are worried that PSO2 will just be another non-updated game for the EN/US users while we hear about all the nifty support JP servers get. I'm sorry, but changing the lobbies and decoration items every 1-2 months does NOT warrant a subscription fee for a game.

Personally I'm hoping they do stay subscription based and have decent support/updates this time. However, if its just going to be PSU 2.0 as far as the EN/US is concerned then they might as well make the game F2P.

I think most people ignored this because it in fact WAS the consensus and there was no need to hash it out.

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 01:13 AM
uh...you mean the map that came in the box? that was a novelty just like how the cartridge was gold. I never once used the map and played just fine. I have no idea what you're on about.

I think most people ignored this because it in fact WAS the consensus and there was no need to hash it out.
Well I bought a used GBA remake copy from Gamestop and I can't find my way from one dungeon to the next however if I had that map I'm sure I'd be just fine(other than those stupid darknuts that keep killing me ). All of these maps would come in handy http://faqs.ign.com/articles/521/521268p1.html, but this is the map I have to have and if I had it mine would probably look a lot like this one http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/engel_zelda10.gif

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah that came with the game. I never used or felt I needed it.

RPGs today are just as easy to get lost in if they're free roaming. that's not the fault of 8-bit games. btw atari 2600 (standard atari) was not an 8 bit system.

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah that came with the game. I never used or felt I needed it.

RPGs today are just as easy to get lost in if they're free roaming. that's not the fault of 8-bit games. btw atari 2600 (standard atari) was not an 8 bit system.
Let me guess it was a 4 bit system and I'm pretty certain they all only played one game and you had to buy a different type of Atari for different games.

Wayu
May 4, 2011, 01:20 AM
We're getting off topic again.

Lay off the Ataris, old men. :D

-Wayu

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 01:21 AM
We're getting off topic again.

Lay off the Ataris, old men. :D

-Wayu
When did we ever get back on topic?! And I am not old Atari was extinct before I was even born.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure SNES was "extinct" before you were born

wait...you think you had to buy a new system for...*cough*

No...Atari 2600 used cartridges. just like everything else before sega CD

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 10:15 AM
So any ways back on topic. Another good reason for it to be f2p and have a special cash shop is that will = more money. Here's how that works phase 1 more people buy the game phase 2 more people means more purchases from the cash shop which equals more money.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:19 AM
No one likes cash shops, don't double post just to say what you've already said.

Malachite
May 4, 2011, 10:21 AM
I can't wait till Sega announces the 10 dollar monthly fee and this topic dies a long overdue death.

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
No one likes cash shops, don't double post just to say what you've already said.
Just trying to get this forum back on topic and if it gets me free online game play then I like them, because it means they have found a way to get people to support the server without making them pay to play online. Just makes them pay for the extremely cool outfit at the cash store they really want so badly.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:24 AM
I can't wait till Sega announces the 10 dollar monthly fee and this topic dies a long overdue death.

seconded

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 10:37 AM
And they will got to f2p in 6 months due to not enough money from p2p after jacking the money up from $10 to $15 to $20 to $25 to $30+ not enough people are willing to pay the subscription rates as it goes higher and higher as it will do, because at launch the money they rake in for keeping the servers up will not be something that $10 from every player will be able to support and so as it goes on when people start to see the price for going online they won't want to pay and every time they jack the price they lose more people and jack it up again when it finally comes down to it they will eventually have to go f2p. Otherwise people won't play it and they will go play something that is free to play you have tons of games out there that are free to play now I'm not saying give out the software for free, but give out online play for free. If you can't play online what's the point of this game? Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth so not everyone can afford to play the game if it is not f2p. so not every one is going to want to which means bad sells and eventually the game server goes offline and the game dwindles into history as a good example of why you don't make people pay to buy a game such as this and then make them pay an additional fee to play online.

Pillan
May 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
I believe I should remind a few people in this thread that PSU is still doing quite well in Japan.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:42 AM
They've been reminded, they just dont understand english

Malachite
May 4, 2011, 11:23 AM
A free trial would solve all of that.

Let's hope they do it.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 11:27 AM

I want a $15 monthly fee. $10 doesn't go as much as it used to with inflation.

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
A free trial would solve all of that.

Let's hope they do it.
Only if there was some special incentive to make them stay online. I'm pretty certain you could get most of the rewards inside of a free trial period or make their own server. So I think that a lot of people will decide not to play online if it's p2p. Also if it's 100% online sales will go down the gutter if it's p2p, because people won't want that that's the sort of stuff you expect from MMOs you download off the internet.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
Only if there was some special incentive to make them stay online. I'm pretty certain you could get most of the rewards inside of a free trial period or make their own server. So I think that a lot of people will decide not to play online if it's p2p. Also if it's 100% online sales will go down the gutter if it's p2p, because people won't want that that's the sort of stuff you expect from MMOs you download off the internet.

Your claims have no evidence. You lose.

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
Your claims have no evidence. You lose.
Really? If you hadn't ever heard of PSO would you be likely to even buy it? I mean honestly phantasy isn't even spelled the conventional way.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 11:38 AM
Really? If you hadn't ever heard of PSO would you be likely to even buy it? I mean honestly phantasy isn't even spelled the conventional way.

I would have heard of it the same way I did PSO...

joshboyd1209
May 4, 2011, 11:42 AM
I would have heard of it the same way I did PSO...
OK let's pretend you are a customer at Gamestop you are looking at games you see a Phantasy Star game, but you've never heard of the series before at all. What do you do? When I first saw the demo for PSP1 I disregarded it as dumb just, because of the name alone I thought to myself they didn't even spell fantasy right. It wasn't for several months afterwards that I finally played the demo, but honestly this game isn't advertised at all in the states.

Malachite
May 4, 2011, 11:44 AM
"Hey this game looks really cool! Oh wait... It's spelled with a PH, nevermind."

Seriously? Lol

But yeah, Niloklives is right. He's a kid, and he's set in what he wants. You're not gonna convince him of anything, so just let him be.

chaoelite
May 4, 2011, 01:21 PM
From what I saw on the little design for the PSP1 design that shows a little bit of the cover art it actually looked more like a girly game at the time.

Yeah and I could probably gut you like a fish.
Now threats are really showing your age now cool down. As far as your argument nobody wants to pay to play tell that to the millions of ppl that played pso v2 on up,wow,ffxi that and they will disagree. Hell i have payed to play online on games almost as long as you have been alive and you don't hear me bitching about it and i have been poor my entire life. When you pay your own bills and such then you can contribute a valid argument at 14 your on cloud 9 parents take care of everything.

Also as it has been mentioned b4 phantasy star series is a niche series not a single one of their games have i ever seen a us commercial for. I found the series by chance in a video rental store back in the 90's i liked it and thanks to the internet i found the rest of the series later on in life(anybody else remember terrible aol dial up? xD) I found psp1 by demo i played it since i played all others minus zero and when psp2 was announced i pre-ordered it it's not a game for everyone that's why people leave and others stay.