PDA

View Full Version : Which rare box do you think they'll use?

r00tabaga
Apr 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
1. PSO's red box
2. PSU's red weapon
3. PSPo2's red & rainbow boxes
4. all new box design

eclipsXe
Apr 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
Probably red and rainbow, POLL THIS SHISH

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Probably a whole new looking box, in the same way the human outfit is new...

But glowing and rainbow or not, there'll definitely be something similar to differentiate the level of rarity.

Personally I'd like gold instead of rainbow.

Red makes me think special, but gold makes me think "VICTORY" and "REWARD" and "SUCCESS!!" put together. I blame mario

SephirothXer0
Apr 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm hoping for PSO's red box. That was the most intense shade of red I've ever seen in my life, I could spot it all the way across the map and out of the house.

I actually turned my character's hair that same color in the game, and my friend would get all excited for nothing when my head popped up on the bottom of his screen

r00tabaga
Apr 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm hoping for PSO's red box. That was the most intense shade of red I've ever seen in my life, I could spot it all the way across the map and out of the house.

I actually turned my character's hair that same color in the game, and my friend would get all excited for nothing when my head popped up on the bottom of his screen

Yeah, in PSOBB we made a team and red hair was a prerequisite!

I love PSO's red box but PSPo2 nailed it w/rare & uber rare boxes. I even like the little noise it makes so that I don't leave a room w/o it.

batfax
Apr 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Loved that red box.

t3hVeG
Apr 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
Use PSO's box designs, but use PSPo2's rainbow box as well. :p

OdinTyler
Apr 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
It tends to change with each game (the specific design) but it always tends to be red. I say, adding a 2 to it means you gotta keep up the red box! You know your inner kid jumps up and down when you see that red box! Admit it...ADMIT IT! :P

"En"
Apr 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
My inner kid used to squeal with joy when I saw a red box, but over nine thousand Cross Scars later, the magic had depleted itself. I don't know what they intend to use for item drops in this game, but I did like the old box designs much more than the recent ones in PSP2/PSZ. I also liked the chime they used in PSO, but that's probably my nostalgia talking.

I won't bother voting in the poll, because I don't like guessing games. If this was a poll asking what your favourable box type would be, though, I'd cast my vote for the PSO boxes.

OdinTyler
Apr 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
I know what you mean. You'd see a lone red box drop in the distance. You'd be so happy. Then run over..........Photon Drop. Ugh. Or Arm of I Already Have This Ten Times Over!!! We need NPCs we can trade repeated drops to for other possible drops. That would be nice. :)

Kaziel
Apr 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'm hoping for red boxes. But who knows. :)

/vote

Shinji Kazuya
Apr 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'd say PSO's or PSPo2's red & rainbow boxes. Or even something new, who knows.

relentless
Apr 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
I'd say PSO's or PSPo2's red & rainbow boxes. Or even something new, who knows.

Seconded.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hopefully it will look better than PSO's vomit textured polygon boxes.

bns1991
Apr 28, 2011, 06:34 PM
This is PSO. The original Red Box or something entirely new.

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
it's all the same thing anyway. It's not like trying something new will forever break this game from being phantasy star.

I wouldn't mind PSU's style either. Where you could see the type of item it is before you pick it up, to make you feel a little more hyped right before you get disappointed.

Ark22
Apr 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
*Sees red box* *Gets extremely excited* *some one picks it up* "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
"Hey!!!It was a psycho wand!!" ".......*Rage quits*"

If they did put the old item system back..I would cry

Sinue_v2
Apr 28, 2011, 06:47 PM
I say, leave the Red Box alone, since it's pretty iconic of one of the funnest and most exhilarating parts of PSO. However, there should be a special added effect which denotes the difference between "common rare" and "super rare".

So a Flowen's Sword and Sealed J-Sword would have the same box, same texture, but the Sealed J-Sword containing box would be surrounded by blue sparks while the Flowen's Sword box just spins like normal. The effect shouldn't be gawdy, but should still be something you can notice at a distance.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 28, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'd like a higher res PSO red box. And it better be that same damn red. I want my eyes to burn at the sight of my red box.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 12:24 AM
I think it'll be the PSZ/PSP2/Infinity rhombus shape. To me, it looked more attractive than just a regular old rectangular box.

I also hope they keep the sound effects for rare drops, too. That was a nice feature. I liked the *BLING* noise that 10-12* items made. I wasn't a big fan of the *bleepbloopbloobleep* that the 13-15* items made, though. It was too quiet, and didn't really capture the "rarity" of the item too well. It should have been like an angelic chorus going *ahhhhhAHHHHHHH!!*.

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
A zelda chest moment would be cool. Although i'm haunted by the starfox adventure version of it.

Recron
Apr 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
I like the original red box but I'm fairly sure that they will go for something new, but something that would be cool is they have their new rare box for rare stuff but for the extremely rare stuff they bring back the original red box completely unedited in all its Dreamcast/GC glory.

If they do go for something new maybe rare Item boxes could have a different model from regular item boxes

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 12:43 AM
They could always make secret themed worlds/locations. Pay tribute to the other games in a way and have similer items for the lulz.

Recron
Apr 29, 2011, 12:47 AM
That would be brilliant

r00tabaga
Apr 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
I like that idea too.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
I wish you could just kneel down besides the enemy and rip its guts out for a shiny treasure surprise.

BIG OLAF
Apr 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
I wish you could just kneel down besides the enemy and rip its guts out for a shiny treasure surprise.

Make a mini-game out of it. Like, when you all kill a boss (let's say a giant, four-legged insect), each party member grabs one of it's legs and pulls (you have to mash a button, a la Lost Planet), and it eventually rips apart.

And out comes the loot! How morbid. But, it would certainly be enjoyable.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
PSO: "I FOUND A SHINY GUN IN THIS PLANT MONSTERS WOMB!"

PSU: "What the hell is a recipe for foie gras doing in the remains of this space cow?"

r00tabaga
Apr 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
PSO: "I FOUND A SHINY GUN IN THIS PLANT MONSTERS WOMB!"

PSU: "What the hell is a recipe for foie gras doing in the remains of this space cow?"

That's some funny shit right there.

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
I think they're going the PSZ route and doing the boxes after clearing an area. Then what items you see on your screen isn't what people see on theirs. That way you don't have to worry about people cherry picking rares and fighting over item drops. Plus it will get rid of the whole getting your butt handed to you because you're picking up items instead of fighting thing like in the older PSO games.

Blueblur
Apr 30, 2011, 11:30 PM
I expect a new red box. And something akin to the rainbow box in PSP2.

Tetsaru
May 1, 2011, 03:42 AM
Gotta have that iconic, instantly-recognizable crimson-as-fuck red box. :wacko:

I'd like to see an upgraded texture for it, though. Maybe have different shades/colors for different rarities or item types again, to differentiate stuff like Photon Drops, Scape Dolls, etc. from actual weapons and armor.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the PSP games have rares that had a vertical red beam coming out of them so they could be seen easier from far away? That'd be kinda cool too.

Kevlar009
May 1, 2011, 04:20 AM
PSO definitely

What with the striking, heart attack inducing, stare at all day red

Kevlar009
May 1, 2011, 04:35 AM
Inferno bazooka? That Rappy was packin Heat

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
Are we really going back to PSU's or is there still hope for something different and/or new? I don't like how the surprise is gone in the recent pics as a sword is clearly shown in the item drop. Please be different for rare drops.

RenzokukenZ
Aug 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
The drop icons from the game that no one in the community wished to see gets chosen to be in PSO2.

Delicious drama.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Aug 1, 2011, 09:28 AM
Anybody have a pic of PSO's red box? I'm only familiar with PSPo2's, or is it the same?

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 09:30 AM
The drop icons from the game that no one in the community wished to see gets chosen to be in PSO2.

Delicious drama.

This poll was in May and nobody, not even one person picked B). Pretty split between the other three options. I hope for rares to be unique but it's not a deal breaker b/c the game's looking really good so far.
I wish I was in the beta.

Malachite
Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
Anybody have a pic of PSO's red box? I'm only familiar with PSPo2's, or is it the same?
http://malcomz.free.fr/pso017.JPG

Funny, it says I voted, when I didn't... Oh well. I wished for the PSO red box, but that's apparently not the case. I don't mind seeing the item though, it's kind of cool imo.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Aug 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
http://malcomz.free.fr/pso017.JPG

Funny, it says I voted, when I didn't... Oh well. I wished for the PSO red box, but that's apparently not the case. I don't mind seeing the item though, it's kind of cool imo.

:O...

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 11:28 AM
Red box. http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154617

landman
Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
I don't know what will they use, but I like the idea of having a different shape for a weapon, an armour or clothes, in PSO and PSP2 any rare shares the same design and they are all red.

Sandstorm
Aug 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
Would love to see the return of PSO red boxes.

GCoffee
Aug 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
With the new boxes (which arent really boxes) unveiled, I would actually quite like seeing the weapon itself with some special sort of aura.

No more ZOMG RARE OH MY GOouh, Fire Scepter: Agni...

MAXrobo
Aug 1, 2011, 04:36 PM
With the new boxes (which arent really boxes) unveiled, I would actually quite like seeing the weapon itself with some special sort of aura.

No more ZOMG RARE OH MY GOouh, Fire Scepter: Agni...

but that was what was so fun about the boxes. it was the countless disappointments that made finally getting it so rewarding.

i would like the boxes to look like glowing rainbow colored question marks. and you cant look at what is inside until you finished the level (or quit)

GCoffee
Aug 1, 2011, 04:37 PM
You never got rewarded like that if you were Pinkal, dude. Not if you were a Pinkal...

Vashyron
Aug 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
The only thing I think I'm really disliking about the Item drops shown is that they look like Billboard Textures. (2D Texture that rotates to always face the camera.)

Other than that, it was nice to be surprised at times on what the drop may be, but ehhh I think I prefer seeing what it is right away.

MAXrobo
Aug 1, 2011, 04:44 PM
how can you tell it is 2D from a screen shot? it could be rotating and that is just the angle it was at what they took the picture.

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 04:47 PM
I preferred the surprise. You had to wait til you visited the techer to find out whatcha had. I am not opposed to this new way either though. No big deal.
We can still hope for a SPECIAL WEAPON item being implemented sometime after the Alpha. That picture could just be a buster. Probably no good weapons in the Alpha.
Speaking of buster, I wonder if they are gonna expand on the weapon manufacturers or scrap them altogether, ala PSO.

LK1721
Aug 1, 2011, 04:53 PM
Really, as long as it is red enough to make my eyes hurt then I do not care what shape it takes.

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
Really, as long as it is red enough to make my eyes hurt then I do not care what shape it takes.

:laughing out loudly:

Vashyron
Aug 1, 2011, 05:11 PM
how can you tell it is 2D from a screen shot? it could be rotating and that is just the angle it was at what they took the picture.

Because if you look at both of the screenshots and all of the items on the floor, they are all facing the camera exactly the same.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=22135
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=22136[/SPOILER-BOX]

NoiseHERO
Aug 1, 2011, 05:15 PM
The hell is that pink thing?

RemiusTA
Aug 1, 2011, 05:16 PM
i was looking at that too. Some kind of projectile?

GCoffee
Aug 1, 2011, 05:20 PM
A unit.

BIG OLAF
Aug 1, 2011, 05:21 PM
The FOmar's hat comes with a flamethrower. Discuss.

NoiseHERO
Aug 1, 2011, 05:23 PM
I guess according to everyones responses, the pink thing is not fire...

But it is indeed, troll hair.

The Fomar's trollhair possibly.

MAXrobo
Aug 1, 2011, 05:30 PM
Because if you look at both of the screenshots and all of the items on the floor, they are all facing the camera exactly the same.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=22135
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=22136[/SPOILER-BOX]

I see what you mean. but they could be placeholders since it is just an alpha (at least i hope so)

BAmofobomo
Sep 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
I miss those red boxes from the DC/GC days!!! I remember when it first came out me and my friends played the mess out of it back in the day LOL! I even had dreams about those dam boxes! :)

Cayenne
Sep 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
Who DIDN'T have dreams about the red boxes :lol: