PDA

View Full Version : Should PSO2 have voice actors?

Anon_Fire
May 3, 2011, 11:11 PM
See above.

BIG OLAF
May 3, 2011, 11:12 PM
I hope so.

Ark22
May 3, 2011, 11:13 PM
PSU American voice actors *shudders*

Vashyron
May 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
For player grunts and such? Of course.

•Col•
May 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
Well, we already had voice actors for cinematic cutscenes... So yeah, why not?

It'd be a nice touch if they had a voice actor do mission briefings and stuff like that as well.

Palle
May 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
If I can choose the language, I'm for it.

Anon_Fire
May 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
It should be a new voice cast, not the ones from PSU/PSP2.

FEI LEE
May 3, 2011, 11:16 PM
Well if there's a single player mode they'll have to unless they plan on reverting back to a PSO style single player were everyone used text. I'd prefer the fisrt option

•Col•
May 3, 2011, 11:19 PM
It should be a new voice cast, not the ones from PSU/PSP2.

Why would they use the exact same voice cast for a new set of characters? o.O

Palle
May 3, 2011, 11:21 PM

Well, some voice actors have a variety of vocal tools at their disposal. Really, SEGA would just go with whoever works cheapest, probably.

NoiseHERO
May 3, 2011, 11:28 PM
I don't see problem with dubbing as long as the dialogue is brief like in armored core games or something.

Otherwise...if we have a PSU style story + bad dubbing... THAT'S when people can complain about their precious mood being ruined...

Wheres the "not sure if want e_e;" option?

blace
May 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
If there is any kind of voice acting it should be the things you normally hear when you exert yourself. If there's actual cut scenes and they do need voices for, they should do what Atlus does and have some quality voice actors. Not saying the cast from PSU were awful, but they could've put more oomph into it.

Wayu
May 3, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'll be getting the JP version so sure.

Just keep Kugimiya Rie away from the heroine of the story, if they have one.

-Wayu

Shadownami92
May 3, 2011, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't mind if it had voice acting as long as I'm given the choice to...

a) Go into an options menu to turn off the voices.

b) Be able to read through the dialogue faster than the PSU games, sometimes those dialogue scenes just took so much time, it was a big drag.

While there is hope that they could get decent voice actors, previous games say otherwise. And even if there was a voice cast that I liked, someone else might not like it. So that option to turn voices off could help make it a little better for that circumstance.

t3hVeG
May 3, 2011, 11:48 PM
It would be half-assed of SEGA to not include voice acting, regardless of how bad it will eventually be.

NoiseHERO
May 3, 2011, 11:50 PM
Something like, a serious woman's voice during a quick mission breifing, or characters asking for help for like a sentence or so during the interrupt events, and characters grunting and shouting or saying simple yes's no's and hello's and "UBWHAT?!"'s during emotes.

Anything more is too much for an english speaking voice to handle in a(THIS) modern JP game.

Skye-Fox713
May 4, 2011, 12:00 AM
I hope they do include voice acting and get decent voice actors.

moorebounce
May 4, 2011, 12:01 AM
I wish they did everything with voice acting because they start to lose me when I start having to read a bunch of useless garbage. That's why I like PSO EPI the best because they gave you a little bit here and there. They need to tell the story while we can still fight or walk around.

Tetsaru
May 4, 2011, 12:05 AM
I dunno... PSU's voice acting, from what little I remember of it, was pretty bad, imo, but at the same time, it'd be kinda odd nowadays NOT to have voice acting in some form or another. :confused:

FEI LEE
May 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
it'd be kinda odd nowadays NOT to have voice acting in some form or another. :confused:

This is kinda of true. It would feel like a step back imo

Tetsaru
May 4, 2011, 12:24 AM
This is kinda of true. It would feel like a step back imo

Yeah... unless they did the whole "silent hero" treatment that a lot of older games tended to do, where everyone else but the main character can say stuff in text - even the non-important NPC's.

Zelda: "You must stop the evil Ganon from taking over Hyrule!"
Link: "HYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 12:34 AM
lol Link sits through two hours of text and just replies with nods and lock of total shock. the silent protagonist thing always tickled me.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 01:05 AM
Hopefully they won't dub it in English. It would nice to have it in Japanese with English subtitles or the ability to turn it off. Writing, recording and syncing the dialog is going to take time to do, and it's probably going to be shit anyways. I'd prefer they skipped over that part to get the game in our hands faster.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 01:08 AM
Unless they were awesome and did the english dubbing in tandem with the japan...I'm going to stop there cause I'm already starting to laugh.

Yeah I don't need it in english.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 01:27 AM
Or if they did the english with Japanese actors. That would be hilariously awesome.

Malachite
May 4, 2011, 01:33 AM
Japanese dubs and English dubs are equally bad, the only difference is that you can't tell, because you don't understand the language.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 01:33 AM
we are heroes arks! we will prevail our future!! TAKE OFF EVERY ZIG!!

Japanese dubs and English dubs are equally bad, the only difference is that you can't tell, because you don't understand the language.

not speaking for myself but some of us actually do understand it and still think the english is worse.

additionally the voice acting for anime and such 20 years ago isn't what it's like today. it's actually gotten significantly better. I still stray from it when I can. sometimes I just like the voices they get better. nothing to do with the acting. at the same time I can't stand watching cowboy bebop in japanese.

I may not be fluent but I understand a little. point is you're not entirely wrong, but you're not exactly right either.

Malachite
May 4, 2011, 01:40 AM
Preference is prefence. Cowboy Bebop is a good example though, the English dub is far superior.

One thing that always irks me about Japanese dubs is how they tend to use voices that don't really suit the character. Like an extremely large, muscular old mine with a very high voice, or a 13 year old androgynous boy who sounds like Darth Vader.

That's not to say that doesn't happen in English dubs, cause it does. Just not as frequently.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 01:48 AM
I think sometimes that's for comedic purposes. Like i remember way back when I saw project A-ko. Mary was this giant school girl..like her thigh was bigger than a normal human, but she was all muscle. it was hilarious cause you heard her making these low primal...almost ape like grunts. but when she spoke she sounded like she was 4.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 02:08 AM
Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball Z are probably two rare examples where the english is actually better. Most of the time though, Japanese is better. Anime has been around a long time and becoming an anime actor is a really big deal.

I did a project at my school here in Chiba where we had to make an audio book and all of kids put a lot of effort into recording the dialog. I understand Japanese, and aside from the occasional mis-casting I think the quality is really good.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 02:14 AM
I've heard some bad JP voice acting, but I agree the japanese version is generally a bit higher quality. I think the worst with dubbings now is that they end up hiring people with no versatility. Like Steve Blum was fantastic for Spike, but I haven't heard him do anything else where I didn't think he was horribly miscast.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 02:17 AM
Oh also David Hayter is incredible as Solid Snake. So there are good english dubs out there; but let's face it this is Sega. I wouldn't keep my hopes up

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 02:19 AM
Maybe if we all hope they get really bad voice actors, they'll do an amazing job just to spite us.

Aumi
May 4, 2011, 03:04 AM
Only, ONLY, if we can choose to use the Japanese voices in the English version!!!

Tetsaru
May 4, 2011, 05:04 AM
at the same time I can't stand watching cowboy bebop in japanese

Preference is prefence. Cowboy Bebop is a good example though, the English dub is far superior.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees that the English dubs were a lot better. :) (Cowboy Bebop's my favorite anime, btw)

Funny though, MOST of the time, I prefer Japanese dubs/English subs... but not all the time.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 05:06 AM
Bebop is one of my favs if not my fav and I'm the same way usually: I prefer subs.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 05:07 AM
Im fine with english and japanese. Would the best thing to be able to do is...

Pick all of your characters by listening to samples and switching their languages so you can basically have Dood A speak Japanese and English speaking Dood B understands and respond?

Gag clips would be fun too

Tyreek
May 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
Im fine with english and japanese. Would the best thing to be able to do is...

Pick all of your characters by listening to samples and switching their languages so you can basically have Dood A speak Japanese and English speaking Dood B understands and respond?

Gag clips would be fun too

You mean have them pull a Tekken 5 and 6? LOL. Listening to the dialogue got hilarious, when most of the characters are CLEARLY speaking in different languages.

Orange_Coconut
May 4, 2011, 01:52 PM
Aside from minor expressions, I really wouldn't care for voice acting. Even then, I think they should allow you to disallow the voices if they do decide to put them into the game. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about voice acting because more often than not people have an issue with how it's done on one or more characters involved. Also, I highly doubt they'd keep everything in Japanese for an online action RPG if it's released in the states.

So, even if PSO2 comes out in the US and they somehow thought it would be best received with the Japanese voice actors -- I still wouldn't care. I'd be reading the text regardless of whether or not voice acting was a part of the game, except instead of hearing a voice actor in English I'd hear it in a language I don't understand.

That being said, I do prefer subs over dubs for the things I watch that come out of Japan or any other country with a language I do not know. Personally, however, I don't feel that PSO ever needed nor will ever need voice acting on a major scale. I played the first game because I enjoyed the game itself and I don't recall much of the story being anything spectacular. I play a video game because I enjoy several things about any given game, and if I'm lucky story can very well be a part of that, but voice acting has never really mattered to me.

I do understand that a lot of people do care about voice acting, though. That is why I said if they end up including voice acting in the game that I'd like to be able to turn it off as a personal option. This post is in no way stating that voice acting is stupid, lame, or unnecessary on general grounds. It is, however, stating that my opinion of voice acting in PSO is that I really couldn't care less about it and I know I personally would not use it if given the option to disable it.

Zyrusticae
May 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hellsing Ultimate on the subject of good dubbing.

The English version is the definitive one, no question. Not only does it fit the setting better, the actors are cast appropriately and the direction is excellent. Also, Anderson without a Scottish accent is not Anderson at all.

Not that you should expect anything of that quality from SEGA. Just felt like contributing to the already-somewhat-off-topic discussion.

Personally, I don't really understand what people have against reading subtitles with the audio in the native dub. Saves tons of money, it's effective, and generally better quality than what you'll get from dubbing it in whatever language.

Also, it was REALLY annoying how a ton of vocal cues were removed from the western version of PSU. That miffed me considerably. I don't care if it's all Japanese nonsense, that's still stuff they get that we don't. Bleh!

Akaimizu
May 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees that the English dubs were a lot better. :) (Cowboy Bebop's my favorite anime, btw)

Funny though, MOST of the time, I prefer Japanese dubs/English subs... but not all the time.

Dude. Add me to the big list on that Cowboy Bebop. Though I also think it's definitely because they casted the voices much better. Case in point. Never give a woman a boy's part when they can't sound remotely close to a boy. Find a guy, or a woman who can.

NoiseHERO
May 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
Anime Network got me sick of dubbing.

Now I miss it. e_e

JP dubs sound boring to me now...

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
No! Spend money on design / art

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
Voice:Vocals:Music:Art

tl:dr version:
Voice:Art

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
Dude. Add me to the big list on that Cowboy Bebop. Though I also think it's definitely because they casted the voices much better. Case in point. Never give a woman a boy's part when they can't sound remotely close to a boy. Find a guy, or a woman who can.

Bebop is a gateway drug. I'd lost all interest in anime before I saw that show. after that there were people knew who were anti-anime. i showed them Bebop and they started watching other stuff.

Milla
May 4, 2011, 05:00 PM
As long as Sega can get a decent English voice cast this time ill be fine with it. PSUs was so bad i almost wanted to mute the T.V every time someone spoke, still it wasn't as bad as the atrocious SO4's Eng dub. Kay?

MidiPour
May 4, 2011, 05:14 PM
No, because usually American voice actors in videogames are terribad. Unless it is a recent high-profile blockbuster hit.

Milla
May 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
No, because usually American voice actors in videogames are terribad. Unless it is a recent high-profile blockbuster hit.

I dunno i can name quite a few games with decent american voice actors, most tales games have a pretty good cast and there not exactly blockbuster hits.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 05:28 PM
there are many who would debate that with you. But since taste is a murky subject as it's almost entirely based on personal experience, It's better not to argue about this in most cases.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZr82hB--4 (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZr82hB--4) This should make you laugh. Or not.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 4, 2011, 05:41 PM
Nathan Fillion, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Scott Menville, dream team for English voice acting

Blueblur
May 4, 2011, 05:42 PM
PSU American voice actors *shudders*

Quoted for truth!

No! Spend money on design / art
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Blueblur1/GAF/TheOfficeStanleyNod.gif

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 05:45 PM
Phantasy Star in 5 secs on page 5?http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DsBbCXfj0Sao (www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DsBbCXfj0Sao)

ShinMaruku
May 4, 2011, 06:03 PM
It should because it adds more immersion and when done well is pretty good.
I'm not going to say "No because Sega's voice support sucks" because they can do better if only forced too. Sadly their fan base has not been pushing for quality as they should.

CaptainKishimoto
May 4, 2011, 06:10 PM
Nathan Fillion, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Scott Menville, dream team for English voice actingHow about we not have JYB; he's already in soooooo many things already. Sure he's good, but his lack of range makes it hard to listen to him continuously.

NoiseHERO
May 4, 2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZr82hB--4 (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZr82hB--4) This should make you laugh. Or not.

NOW I remember why I found his voice hilariously entertaining, not because of the stuttering moans, but because he sounds like Wheeler from captain planet!.

MidiPour
May 4, 2011, 07:12 PM
I dunno i can name quite a few games with decent american voice actors, most tales games have a pretty good cast and there not exactly blockbuster hits.

The Tales franchise is an example of decent voice acting, so is Persona. But Sega isn't Atlus or Namco Bandai, who usually put plot on the pedestal.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have to say i'm amazed that I have yet to play a Tales game lol.

MidiPour
May 4, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have to say i'm amazed that I have yet to play a Tales game lol.

If you love JRPGS, you will like Tales. If you're remotely interested, you shouldn't waste your time. The gameplay is fun, but the monotony of backtracking is unbearable.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 07:30 PM
I like JRPGS much to my friends dismay lol. I just never have the money when ever it comes to mind.

MidiPour
May 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
I like JRPGS much to my friends dismay lol. I just never have the money when ever it comes to mind.

If you have a 3DS, I'd suggest waiting for the Abyss port. Abyss was the best in the series, but struggled with loadtime/world map issues. The 3DS port is supposed to resolve those issues.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
Will do

McLaughlin
May 4, 2011, 07:51 PM
If you have a 3DS, I'd suggest waiting for the Abyss port. Abyss was the best in the series, but struggled with loadtime/world map issues. The 3DS port is supposed to resolve those issues.

Abyss is great, but I think Vesperia is the best Tales game.

SephirothXer0
May 5, 2011, 07:50 AM
PSO was just fine without voice actors. In fact, JRPGs in general were much better without voice acting because all their voices were perfect in your head. When you hear a character with a horrible voice, it can ruin any experience you have with them.

And yes, PSP2's voice acting was terribad, but I don't think that was the actors' fault as much as it was the story's. PSP2 used EVERY. SINGLE. ANIME. CLICHE. In the book. Magical whiny tsundere pink loli girls with a dark past and special snowflake secret power to save the universe? GAG. There's no way in hell even the greatest voice actors in the world could make that bearable to watch again.

A PSO story with voice acting could be alright. Another PSU / PSP story with voice acting? No thank you.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 08:00 AM
Final Fantasy 10 would have been better with out voice actors.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
Final Fantasy 10 would have been better without Tidus.

Milla
May 5, 2011, 11:13 AM

Final Fantasy 10 would be better without one the main character's who about half of the plot was based around? Who should be the main character then Yuna? Yeah X-2 was such a hit after all.

On topic tho: Did PSO have any voices at all? I cant even remember basic grunts.

RemiusTA
May 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
If they do english, they need to stay grunts. I never had too big an issue with PSU's character voice selections, until they started making them fucking talk like on JP PSU. I kind of miss the days when they just kept the JP voices in, honestly, because they try way harder when it comes to localizing.

If Arc System Works (who is AMAZING at localizing voice-heavy JP games, just look at Blazblue) was making the game, then sure. But they arent. And PSP2's english voices were fucking terrible.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Right cause the whiny bitch who cried about how his father never loved him and only existed as an embodiment of the will of the faytes or w/e was really all that engaging. he sounded like a goddamn child. I'd rather watch naruto fillers than sit through that shit.

And x-2 sucking had nothing to do with a lack of Tidus. X-2 sucked because of a lack of a supporting cast, the directer ripping off the Charlie's angels movies which shouldn't have been made to begin with and an easily exploitable combat system in which you could hit the invincible one hit kill button at will. also the entire underlying story was based around finding the same mentally challenged kid from the first title. Meaning that Tidus was also partially at fault for X-2.

So yeah - it would have been better without him and don't forget it.

Milla
May 5, 2011, 11:32 AM
Right cause the whiny bitch who cried about how his father never loved him and only existed as an embodiment of the will of the faytes w/e was really all that engaging. he sounded like a goddamn child. I'd rather watch naruto fillers than sit through that shit.

And x-2 sucking had nothing to do with a lack of tidus. X-2 sucked bcause of a lack of a supporting cast, the directer ripping off the charlie's angels movies which shouldn't have been made to begin with and an easily exploitable combat system in which you could hit the invincible one hit kill button at will. also the entire underlying story was based around finding the same mentally challenged kid fro the first title. Meaning that Tidus was also partially at fault for X-2.

Lol i guess the term "Haters gonna hate" will apply for this situation. I'm not gonna argue with someone who seems to get angry by a video game character. But i will say removing a big character like Tidus from the plot would have such an impact you have no idea if the game would be better or worse.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 11:37 AM
I hate bad stories and shit characters is all. You also seem to think that removing a character means not changing anything else which only displays how short sighted you are. I actually have helped professional writers refine their stories and make events more engaging for the readers through careful editing. I've also helped lead creative writing workshops and am working on two books of my own. I know something about how to write a good story. I'm sorry you enjoy bad games, though.

Milla
May 5, 2011, 11:51 AM
*Sigh* okay you win. No need to feel sorry for me though i have fun playing my bad games ^^. Best of luck with your books.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 11:55 AM
Emilia Percival....(Japanese Voice: Chiwa Saitō).....no thx! I especially don't want English VA's either. Just give me text.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 11:59 AM
Emilia Percival....(Japanese Voice: Chiwa Saitō).....no thx! I especially don't want English VA's either. Just give me text.

<3 text. </3 games with no subtitles like the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
No subtitles? That's awful!

Flame
May 5, 2011, 01:24 PM
Voice acting? No.

FEI LEE
May 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
I hate bad stories and shit characters is all. You also seem to think that removing a character means not changing anything else which only displays how short sighted you are. I actually have helped professional writers refine their stories and make events more engaging for the readers through careful editing. I've also helped lead creative writing workshops and am working on two books of my own. I know something about how to write a good story. I'm sorry you enjoy bad games, though.

Are you....Superman?

Corey Blue
May 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
Just text and artwork for me,I'm more of a Manga and Manhwa reader anyway.(I think they shouldn't have voices,waste of money and time.)

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 06:01 PM
Are you....Superman?

lol what? xD

Tetsaru
May 5, 2011, 07:06 PM
Right cause the whiny bitch who cried about how his father never loved him and only existed as an embodiment of the will of the faytes or w/e was really all that engaging. he sounded like a goddamn child. I'd rather watch naruto fillers than sit through that shit.

And x-2 sucking had nothing to do with a lack of Tidus. X-2 sucked because of a lack of a supporting cast, the directer ripping off the Charlie's angels movies which shouldn't have been made to begin with and an easily exploitable combat system in which you could hit the invincible one hit kill button at will. also the entire underlying story was based around finding the same mentally challenged kid from the first title. Meaning that Tidus was also partially at fault for X-2.

Tidus WAS a whiny pansy.

The "laughing scene" WAS very awkward.

Seymour had redonkulous hair.

Despite all that, it was still a great game, in my opinion. But yeah, you guys might wanna watch TheSpoonyExperiment's review on that game, it might give you a few lulz.

X-2 needlessly continued the story of the first game and seemed like Square Enix paid some random otaku to do a fanfic.

Yaaaay, going off-topic again...

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 07:16 PM
Blitz Ball was awesome. I really feel like that game was made to show off the PS2 more than anything. The combat system and leveling was also fairly good. Story wise though, the game fell flat on its face.

As far as the fanfic thing I feel that way about a lot of games now. Especially the stuff coming out of compile heart

I'm glad someone else hated that kid though. I use him as a training dummy in Dissidia.

FEI LEE
May 6, 2011, 03:00 AM
lol what? xD

j/k . Just seems you're skilled in a variety of subjects lol

Niloklives
May 6, 2011, 03:39 AM
I just have a lot of interests and get some interesting opportunities.

For example I repaired my light zapper for my NES when I was 8 cause I couldn't afford to have a repair depot fix it. >_>

yoshiblue
May 6, 2011, 06:22 AM
Blitz Ball was awesome. I really feel like that game was made to show off the PS2 more than anything. The combat system and leveling was also fairly good. Story wise though, the game fell flat on its face.

As far as the fanfic thing I feel that way about a lot of games now. Especially the stuff coming out of compile heart

I'm glad someone else hated that kid though. I use him as a training dummy in Dissidia.

Onion Knight ftw!

I use Shantotto, Zidane, and Barts as my punching bag. Their strength of annoyance to me in that order.

Niloklives
May 6, 2011, 06:32 AM
Onion Knight ftw!

I use Shantotto, Zidane, and Barts as my punching bag. Their strength of annoyance to me in that order.

Zidane is right after Tidus for me.

relentless
May 6, 2011, 09:30 AM
Depends on the voice actors but I generally think it's best to have them (JP). Sadly, PSU and up have had fail actors so far, or good voice actors that for some reason still voiced in a sucky way... Chiwa Saito's voice can actually be really good, but they made her squirky and whiny with Emilia which was just hilariously bad. Same with most other JP voice actors, they're usually versatile but it depends on how they are supposed to imperosante the chars. I assume the staff just isn't too fond of animes.

Kion
May 6, 2011, 09:58 AM
Emilia shouldn't even have been in PSP2 at all. The great part about PSO was that you were just another hunter. You started out doing normal stuff and then as you got more requests you got more information. PSU's storyline was terrible I really didn't go for the whole "you are a rookie who happens to be right in the middle of everything and yet have no impact on anything". Taken in the context of the game being online and everyone doing the same story missions it was pretty pathetic.

But PSP2 takes the cake. Laia and the rest of the bland characters of PSU were far superior to have to babysit the whiniest bitch ever; Emilia. Traded my game in two days after I bought the game because of her fucking whining. I just couldn't take it. That wasn't a voice acting problem, that was a basic writing problem.

This is probably going to get the topic off track, but what amazes me is how/why sucky movies and games get made. For the cost of the development and the sheer amount of effort and time that goes into making them, you think that someone would get the idea of saying, "no this script is a piece of shit, let's take a week or two and rework it", instead of charging full idiot speed ahead.

•Col•
May 6, 2011, 01:41 PM
Onion Knight ftw!

Onion Knight pisses me off. I loved the FFIII remake for the DS.... So I'm pretty miffed at how he turned out in Dissidia. How the hell did they get [spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTTrSSPJiw&feature=related"]THIS[/url][/spoiler-box] from [spoiler-box][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySEm8V2R3Y[/spoiler-box] Luneth was a courageous, slightly reckless, curious adventurer, and they turned him into the apprehensive, weak, chicken, Onion Knight.

Anyway.... On topic, I'm actually surprised by the number of people who dont want any voice acting for the game...

Anon_Fire
May 6, 2011, 01:46 PM
Look, the reason I would like to see some voice acting in PSO2 is........... I don't want them to use the old PSU voices, it needs to be an entirely new voice cast.

RemiusTA
May 6, 2011, 02:29 PM

Screw uuuuuuuuu

But i DO believe that Final Fantasy XIII would have been a MUCH better game without Vanille. She was cute, but.....god. Even Rikku wasn't so full of sunshine n rainbows. And her voice actor was terrible. She really, REALLY ruined alot of that game. From her overly-cutesy running animation, to her terrible voice actor, to her battle voices changing halfway through the game into porn clips.

Using Death to farm Adamantoises...i have to sit through her summon's orgasm-blast attack without being able to skip it every single time. I really hope japan would stop doing that. She's the only character in the game that got MORE annoying than Snow.

Niloklives
May 6, 2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't been anywhere near XIII. The closest I got was using lightning in D012. I really feel like SE is more interested in making movies than games with all the cinematics and the way the games seem to almost play themselves. I'll probably play it eventually.

NoiseHERO
May 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
Onion Knight pisses me off. I loved the FFIII remake for the DS.... So I'm pretty miffed at how he turned out in Dissidia. How the hell did they get [spoiler-box]THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTTrSSPJiw&feature=related)[/spoiler-box] from [spoiler-box]THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySEm8V2R3Y)[/spoiler-box] Luneth was a courageous, slightly reckless, curious adventurer, and they turned him into the apprehensive, weak, chicken, Onion Knight.

Anyway.... On topic, I'm actually surprised by the number of people who dont want any voice acting for the game...

That's how Tetsuya Nomura draws teenage boys...AT LEAST HE STILL TURNED INTO A NINJA!

/hasn't played either of the dissidias *shrug*

Norco
May 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
I say bring back PSIV/PSOepIII Cutscenes. But that's just me xD

Niloklives
May 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
I loved PSIV for that. When I tell people about that game that's one of the first things I mention.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
I say bring back PSIV/PSOepIII Cutscenes. But that's just me xD

Are you talking about those pseudo-comic book style cutscenes? If so, I agree. They were a lot of fun.

Razan
May 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
As it is a modern game I'm inclined to say yes... but it depends on a few things, such as if your character has a voice and how the storytelling works.

Canard de Bain
May 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
As it is a modern game I'm inclined to say yes... but it depends on a few things, such as if your character has a voice and how the storytelling works.

Being a modern game makes voice acting relevant? How so?

Razan
May 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
Being a modern game makes voice acting relevant? How so?

It's just how modern games work, people don't expect (or want really) walls of text anymore... in general. In MMOs it's still somewhat acceptable, but that won't be the case for too long.

Canard de Bain
May 6, 2011, 04:02 PM
It's just how modern games work, people don't expect (or want really) walls of text anymore... in general. In MMOs it's still somewhat acceptable, but that won't be the case for too long.

Source? I personally hate hearing people speak, in games and real life.

chaoelite
May 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
I don't think main will have voice other then grunts. I would prefer PSO2 stay away from VA since the original did not have it but i won't complain if it does. On the subject of JP voices with english subs idk some games i can tolerate like that and others i can not maybe its because some sound like they are just talking into a mic and it doesn't sound very natural in game(record of agarest war is very borderline for me with the va sometimes its good other times its ugh)

chaoelite
May 6, 2011, 04:14 PM

People read walls of text online all the time and it's ok but reading text in game isn't? lol
I think it really depends on the game if its full of cinematics and plays like a movie by all means use va but if its classic old style its not really needed imo.

BIG OLAF
May 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think main will have voice other then grunts. I would prefer PSO2 stay away from VA since the original did not have it but i won't complain if it does. On the subject of JP voices with english subs idk some games i can tolerate like that and others i can not maybe its because some sound like they are just talking into a mic and it doesn't sound very natural in game(record of agarest war is very borderline for me with the va sometimes its good other times its ugh)

I agree that main characters shouldn't have their own complete voice actors, etc. Though, I did like how PSP1/2/i did voices for characters: instead of just grunts and moans, your character would say some things sometimes.

Like, when doing a powerful PA: "Take this!"

Or, when using Nanoblast/SUV/Mirage Blast: "Let's finish this!"

Those kinds of short, simple one-liners I like. But, full-on voices? Nah.

joshboyd1209
May 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
Source? I personally hate hearing people speak, in games and real life.

I was agreeing with you 100% up until you said: "and real life".

MidiPour
May 6, 2011, 08:35 PM
I was agreeing with you 100% up until you said: "and real life".

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Well, most games on the PS3/360 will favor voice acting. Most games use subtitles instead of a box of text.

yoshiblue
May 6, 2011, 11:07 PM
Onion Knight pisses me off. I loved the FFIII remake for the DS.... So I'm pretty miffed at how he turned out in Dissidia. How the hell did they get [spoiler-box]THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTTrSSPJiw&feature=related)[/spoiler-box] from [spoiler-box]THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySEm8V2R3Y)[/spoiler-box] Luneth was a courageous, slightly reckless, curious adventurer, and they turned him into the apprehensive, weak, chicken, Onion Knight.

Yeah, I felt the same way but then I got use to him. Dissidia OK is like WoL. An enbodyment? of all the OKs put into one. Maybe made the same way too. The alt is just fanservice. They say it was hard to make a look for OK and thats how he turned out. Although having Luneth as the Main would be cool. In 012, he has an alt based on Ingus. Including FFIII DS OK, Sage and Ninja looks. Kinda of goofy looking IMO.

JC10001
May 7, 2011, 10:07 PM
Its 2011 not 2000 so the answer is yes.

Kodachi
May 12, 2011, 09:06 PM
If Sega of Amercia does the casting waxin my legs with tar would be more entertaing and less painful :-o . if Sega of japan does Then I would totally embrace:-)

NewWave
May 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
I would like it if it did, but not necessary. I'd probably only care if they had the Japanese voices with subtitles XD

Malachite
May 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
I agree that main characters shouldn't have their own complete voice actors, etc. Though, I did like how PSP1/2/i did voices for characters: instead of just grunts and moans, your character would say some things sometimes.

Like, when doing a powerful PA: "Take this!"

Or, when using Nanoblast/SUV/Mirage Blast: "Let's finish this!"

Those kinds of short, simple one-liners I like. But, full-on voices? Nah.

IMO, those little one liners are the most annoying things ever to be implemented in videogames in general, and are ALMOST gamebreaking.

Sord
May 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
Nothing wrong with voice acting if it's good. Thing is, Sega hasn't shown a history of having American voice acting that I like. It'd be a nice surprise if they did it this time, but I'm certainly not expecting it. I may not want it, but I am actually expecting them to go with bad voice acting.

Nitro Vordex
May 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
Um. Have you seen cartoons, 3D movies, or any kind of non-live-action thing before? They recycle voice actors all the time.

I would be fine with text conversations, mostly because that leaves more room in the game for imagining your own voices, rather than raging at the poor cast that Sega might choose. People seem to forget that you don't need voice acting to tell a great story.

Then again, this is also the generation who seem to think that reading is stupid, so they're probably just lazy as fuck.

•Col•
May 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
Um. Have you seen cartoons, 3D movies, or any kind of non-live-action thing before? They recycle voice actors all the time.

What animated series used the exact same voice cast(or even just most of) for a new season with all new, different characters? o_O

Sord
May 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
What animated series used the exact same voice cast(or even just most of) for a new season with all new, different characters? o_O

Not to many shows have a second season that's purely all new characters to begin with.

*cough*simpsons*cough* Among other shows, southpark, family guy, futurama, etc. You'll find a lot of animated shows have several people doing several parts, and most don't have any one person doing just one part unless it's a guest voice. Studios even use them across platform, for example Warner Brothers now owns Mortal Combat, and as a result some of the Justice League TV show (also Warner Brothers) voice-actors voiced some characters in Mortal Kombat 9. Yes, every season or so of a show some new people might be hired on if the show grew in enough popularity to afford it, but more often then not studios have a various selection of actors on contract that they use. It's usually a fair amount for a big studio, so you won't see two different shows with the exact same cast to often, but you'll see some that are really similar. Especially bigger budget ones.

There are of course some actors with big enough names to pick and choose as they please, but I believe they are actually more of the exception over here in the west. Japan is a bit different, meeting a voice actor over there can be a pretty big deal, and they are usually big guest stars at game-cons and anime-cons and the like, but not quite as much over here.

Sega, being pretty much strictly gaming, is naturally going to have a much smaller selection of voice actors (at least for English over here in the West) than big studios like Warner Brothers and the like. So it's much more feasible to assume that if the last few games they put out had bad voice acting, so will the new one. The PSU voice actors may not be a good judge to go by, because it's been a few years and people move around their jobs, but any recent Sega released title could probably give you a good idea of what to expect.

Seasqwaa
May 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
I vote yes.
I don't care if it's just English, dual, or Japanese. I want voice!

Quality isn't much of a concern of mine as long as it's not as bad as... Fatal Frame 1.
PSO however... didn't use voice. I did enjoy the feeling of all the text and such, but I'd like voice to be incorporated in certain aspects. There aren't enough details to fully represent my opinions sadly...