PDA

View Full Version : The "Will my computer run this?" thread v1.8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Ce'Nedra
Apr 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
Building a computer yourself is something every gamer should learn, even casual ones. It saves you a lot of money which you can use on more games or better hardware. Or like me, use it to party day in day out.

If you don't want to play the Japanese version you don't have to upgrade right now but be smart and start saving anyway so you have a decent budget by the time a release date is announced.

Oh i got the budget thats not the issue at all. It's just my complete lack of knowledge on Hardware. I did build a PC once on school for a protject but that was a very old and easy modelled one. I might be able to build it again myself but since i got no idea on hardware and such that will be an issue. I got people at my work who can do it for me though so it's not that bad.

Kion
Apr 8, 2012, 09:57 AM
After tweaking my e350 a bit, I finally got a decent score. Set detail to 1, low textures, low shaders, set Ati catalyst control center to performance set clock states to max, set resolution to 1024x 600 and manually disabled everything in the user benchmark file.

Benchmark runs in the range of 20 -40 fps probably averaging about 26fps.

Mitz
Apr 8, 2012, 10:28 AM
Oh i got the budget thats not the issue at all. It's just my complete lack of knowledge on Hardware. I did build a PC once on school for a protject but that was a very old and easy modelled one. I might be able to build it again myself but since i got no idea on hardware and such that will be an issue. I got people at my work who can do it for me though so it's not that bad.

While it's definitely a time consuming process the first time(few hours trying to figure it all out), it's actually not all that hard and there are great videos and resources out there to help guide you. Yeah I'm sure you can have someone build it for you but it won't really benefit you because as a gamer it's more beneficial to you to be able to replace or upgrade parts of your machine instead of brig in the situation you are in now. Stuck with an older model and no real clue on how to really upgrade.

Tell you what, give me your budget and let me know if the budget includes things like a new monitor, Windows, etc. and I'll put together a build for you.

Mitz
Apr 8, 2012, 10:32 AM
After tweaking my e350 a bit, I finally got a decent score. Set detail to 1, low textures, low shaders, set Ati catalyst control center to performance set clock states to max, set resolution to 1024x 600 and manually disabled everything in the user benchmark file.

Start looking into upgrading that netbook, that can't be a very enjoyable experience. PSOBB would look better.

Kion
Apr 8, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'm mostly amused that I can run it. I've been looking into buying a new notebook, the problem is that most of them are in two categories of weak-sauce netbook and huge 15" notebooks. I'd really like a balanced 13" (with something better than intel hd 3000 graphics) computer I can fit in my backpack and play games on medium settings on.

Dimascus
Apr 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello all.

I haven't visited these forums in such a long time... years. I forgot my username and password, and I have since been using a new email so I forgot the old email... so, today I start a new account. And boy is it great to be back here, looking at PSO! :)

Anyways, here is my bench with system specs.

System: 5392
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1(build 7601), 64bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.4GHz
Memory:8174MB
GPU: ATI Radeon HE 5870 2Gb

Max Settings: 5
Res: 1920x1080

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.aionhg.com/pso2/1920x1080fs.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

This was the same system, but with no shaders... haha (for fun).

[SPOILER-BOX]http://aionhg.com/pso2/99999score.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Sat for about a good 45 seconds at 99,999 (maxed) and it could have gone a lot higher!

Mag-X
Apr 8, 2012, 12:40 PM

If you know how to put a PC together, but just don't know what parts to pick, head over to reddit.com/r/buildapc. The people there can help you pick the best parts for your needs and budget.

SolRiver
Apr 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
It is funny, but i was able to get two machines with similar setup do a benchmark test.

amd kuma 7750 2.9ghz (OC'ed)
sapphire radeon 4870 512mb (older driver)
6 GB RAM (800mhz)
win 7 64bit

vs

amd phenomII x2 550 (3.6 ghz OC'ed)
xfx radeon 4870 1GB (most updated driver)
6 GB RAM (800mhz)
win 7 64bit

The first one out performed the 2nd one on setting 5. Both on same resolution and monitor (1680x1050). Same graphic card setting.
The xfx radeon 4870 1GB lose to saphire 4870 512MB on stock setting, and if OC'ed the sapphire blow up the xfx further.
scored 1950ish with first machine
scored 1650ish with 2nd machine
(the motherboard of the 2nd machine is also a more superior one supposedly)

I guess graphic card aren't made equal. The XFX 4870 couldn't OC very far and is also like 5~10 degree hotter than the sapphire 4870 on regular basis.

Well... I don't know what else to say. Stay with bigger graphic card cooler? (i still need to run further test, but am not home for the pass several days. One issue been bugging me is the effectiveness of catalyst control advanced AI setting for machine one, while giving not much boost for machine two)

As for PSO2's performance. I am very happy about it. Excellent multi-GPU support, excellent suport for GPU overall. Not heavy toward CPU like most games out there, and this being a "benchmark" test, an old 4870 ($75) can probably play well "normally" at setting 5 and acceptable at crunch time similar to the benchmark. Most people here probably only need to spend $100 or less to upgrade their machine to playable level at setting 5 (just buy an old same generation GPU from ebay enable you to play at setting 5 probably). This is THE GAME for feeling the long for "I won the gamble for going multi-GPU route".

Mitz
Apr 8, 2012, 02:06 PM
No two GPUs are the same.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm mostly amused that I can run it. I've been looking into buying a new notebook, the problem is that most of them are in two categories of weak-sauce netbook and huge 15" notebooks. I'd really like a balanced 13" (with something better than intel hd 3000 graphics) computer I can fit in my backpack and play games on medium settings on.

I would suggest you get a 15" one. No matter size and weight, the 13" one along with books is what drove me into sight problems hence why I'm using glasses this year.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
I would suggest you get a 15" one. No matter size and weight, the 13" one along with books is what drove me into sight problems hence why I'm using glasses this year.

Um...did you have your face 2 inches from the screen or stared at it with no lights on in your room? Also get the 15-inch, I say the bigger the better, my friend and I had the same laptop but I have a 13 inch he has a 15 inch, big difference, and he payed less. never again will I buy from the actual company story.

But it has dual graphics, 8 gigs of BS and yada yada, I love it.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 02:27 PM
Um...did you have your face 2 inches from the screen or stared at it with no lights on in your room? Also get the 15-inch, I say the bigger the better, my friend and I had the same laptop but I have a 13 inch he has a 15 inch, big difference, and he payed less. never again will I buy from the actual company story.

But it has dual graphics, 8 gigs of BS and yada yada, I love it.

There is TWO HUGE differences when Gaming and Reading!

Alucard V
Apr 8, 2012, 02:51 PM
Its between 150-130 averaging about 11 fps on its lowest settings.
Hard to say If that's good or bad for a toshiba laptop.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 02:55 PM
There is TWO HUGE differences when Gaming and Reading!

You read the Castle Of Otranto at 2 in the morning! My eyes still work D=<

Font size was like 9...Oh man the mirror. But don't worry I dig girls in glasses ;D

@ Dracula spelled backwards: What is your resolution?

Skyly
Apr 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
What would be a good build for PSO2 only? I'm really not into PC gaming so It'll be only be used for that and web surfing. Budget 500. No other PC games will be played on it. Solely PSO2 only

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 02:59 PM
What would be a good build for PSO2 only? I'm really not into PC gaming so It'll be only be used for that and web surfing. Budget 500. No other PC games will be played on it. Solely PSO2 only

500 Dollars is a very low budget for a PC for gaming this era, unless you wanna build something that works alright with the Shaders OFF.

Skyly
Apr 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
500 Dollars is a very low budget for a PC for gaming this era, unless you wanna build something that works alright with the Shaders OFF.

Shaders? Can you elaborate.. But 500 couldn't run PSO2 on max settings? I don't need a monitor btw.. Remember that I only want to play PSO2 and PSO2 only. Nothing else.

Alucard V
Apr 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
What is your resolution?

Not to sure. I'm not a PC gamer by nature so its all still a little in to me. Any way I could look it up and get back to you on that?

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 03:26 PM
Launch the game, when you see the character before you go "into" the game hit the second option.

You will be brought to a different screen, hit the 3rd tab on the top and you will see a box, and underneath that numbers in which case you can switch. Ok, first box with the two option is

Up: window mode

Second: Fullscreen

click the first option

Button one is resolution (How big it will be on your screen) Change that to 1024:576 then run the bench mark. See what you get, the lower the number the better the score. =) Oh and make sure the slider is ALL the way at the 1.

I'll see if I can find that translation post

I found it, thank Rezakon for this not me.

For Peeps Confused.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/reniji/desktoplauncher.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/reniji/MainPage.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/reniji/reso.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/reniji/graphics.jpg

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
No, 500$ cant play PSO2 maxed without getting some kind of headache. I did set up a possible ~1300$ build who can handle it, but it would go for as cheap as 1000$ maybe. However, a few houndred more $ and the PC would be way better because of some very good quality parts. Perfect spot for a real gamer PC is 1400$ (done by my most recent maths), no need for more but anything less is sacrifice.

Alucard V
Apr 8, 2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you and Rezakon. Scores202 with 15-16 fps.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 03:42 PM
Did you turn HD to SD? also lowest texture? and shader? try the lowest resolution.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 8, 2012, 03:48 PM
Tell you what, give me your budget and let me know if the budget includes things like a new monitor, Windows, etc. and I'll put together a build for you.

I can easyly spend 1000 euro for a new pc, I got keyboard and mouse and speakers so don't need that stuff. I do have a Full HD monitor with 1920x1080 but it has only VGA and DVI inputs (not sure how many graphic cards these days have HDMI). So yeah, depending what outputs the graphic cards has I can keep my monitor, if the GC only have HDMI these days then I need a new monitor as well but it won't be included in my budget for the PC in general.

Also if you end up with Option A vs a Option B where the diffrence is for example 50 euro but gives you so much more in return then I probarly consider going for that as well. I just want to be able to run this game (full screen most likelt) at max graphic settings and 1920x1080 resolution without any slowdown/lag. If that however will make me need a PC of 1500+ euro then I need to think about it big time.

I'm not a PC gamer really, it would only be for PSO2 so I don't care for other upcoming PC games that I might be able to run or not.

Also, added you to MSN.

Alucard V
Apr 8, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yes I did. Same Result.

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
A bad PC will always be gotten 2 times in a row. While a better one could last 2 generations (even another PSO title, who knows). Stuff such as tower case and quality PSU could even be used on another PC build, its a investment which can last up to 10 years. Worse stuff can go boom in just a few years and just always got to less performance (there is never to much, it can always be higher), and then some people might regret for getting stuff to cheap.

The general rule for technical stuff: Worse material will always be gotten 2 times, instead of 1 time. Which isnt only more cash, but additionally its bad for environment.

Just give advise but finally i dont care what people are getting, its theyr stuff not mine, so its the last time i bring it up until release of PSO2.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
That is strange restart your computer and run the game by itself, with no other windows or tabs opened.

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
People do overestimate the power of dual GPU setups. They are less stable than a single GPU, so its not double the power, no matter its score. A strong single GPU is most powerful. Apart from that, its just totaly overkill in order to use for PSO2. The main purpose for multi GPUs is to get a playable eyefinity, but most users wont use eyefinity and not even sure PSO2 is supporting that kind of resolutions.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 8, 2012, 04:57 PM
Obviously, the more you can spend the better, but I don't understand everyone else's seeming need to admonish you. If $500 is the budget, then that's the budget. And it's plenty to build a decent PSO2 rig.

Here:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15642445

That comes out to $430, with no HDD or optical drive. The leftover $70 is to find an HDD and/or optical drive. If you're able to scavenge either or both of those from an existing computer, that'd be the best route to save cash. Especially the hard drive; that by itself will run you $70+ nowadays even for a small one.

It will run PSO2 no problem at decent settings, and you certainly won't have to turn the shaders to low.

Mag-X
Apr 8, 2012, 04:59 PM
You probably can't buy a decent PC for around $500, but you can totally build one that can play PSO2 (and pretty much anything else, really)

Here's something I threw together real quick.

Processor: Intel Pentium G620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399) $69.99
Video Card: XFX HD 6770 1GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540) $109.99
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262) $22.99
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241) $54.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770) $74.99
DVD-Burner SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244) $14.99
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER GX 450W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060) $49.99
Case: Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147073) $29.99
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) $99.99

Total: $527.91

Those looking to stay under $500 can downgrade the video card to a Radeon 5670. Those looking to spend a little more should bump the processor up to an i3 2100 or 2120 and 8GB of RAM.

As is though, this PC would play any game currently out, and would blow PSO2 away.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
People do overestimate the power of dual GPU setups. They are less stable than a single GPU, so its not double the power, no matter its score
Actually, modern cards scale near to 100% in most cases in an SLI/Xfire setup. And, you can get two cards that, combined, exceed the power of a similarly priced single GPU. The main problems remain driver support that often lags, and microstuttering. Those two are enough to make me stick with a single GPU setup, though.

blazingsonic
Apr 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
Is an i5 enough?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=130686~0~4569317,153558~0~ 8739395,188144~0~12672843,52538~0~821509,135390~0~ 6687268&p=1 I saw this, what is the deal maker is that is had wifi, But is it enough, My goal is to boil my PC parts fiddling with just having to swap the graphic card.

Mag-X
Apr 8, 2012, 05:07 PM
Is an i5 enough?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=130686~0~4569317,153558~0~ 8739395,188144~0~12672843,52538~0~821509,135390~0~ 6687268&p=1 I saw this, what is the deal maker is that is had wifi, But is it enough, My goal is to boil my PC parts fiddling with just having to swap the graphic card.

The included video card is kind of lame, and I'd bet the included power supply can just barely handle it. If you want to swap out the power supply and video card, that would be a decent PC, but it's a waste of several hundred dollars over building your own.

Zyrusticae
Apr 8, 2012, 06:25 PM
What ^ said.

I pretty much use dual GPU setups religiously at this point. The downsides are there, but they have yet to become a deal-breaker for me (especially when I can just run single-GPU for games that really hate SLI... of which none exist atm). And in some games micro-stuttering is not even present.

As long as my peak render times (re: the number of milliseconds needed to render a single frame) remain below that which I would get from a single-GPU setup, it's worth it.

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
Thats not equally stable (http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/), we clearly can see in that test up to 70 ms on SLI, while single stayed at 25 ms. The lowest FPS (highest peak drop) for both setups was about 15 which is almost equal. Of course thats almost a worst case but in almost any term, a single GPU is more stable, thats why i only would use SLI/CF in term the performance difference vs. single GPU is outstanding. But as long as i dont need the performance, i see no use for. In PSO2 in dont need it, nor any other game i know of. Usualy when my GPU gets to weak i simply sell my old GPU for a few bucks and get me a new one...

Finally, its a thing of a religious believing, the believing into raw performance. But no matter what, when i use a 680 GTX instead i have to pay more than the price of GTX 560x2. However, i have lesser power consumption and more stable FPS which is worth a bonus. ;) But anyway, for people who want the max possible, they will get 2x680 GTX and then they got more power than they ever need. Although, i do believe that i never do have the need for, and those who feel like having some need, they simply enjoy to drive some sort of supercar. Not necessary but its a special feeling to drive at 100 FPS, even at the most crazy games at the most crazy settings. ;) A way of life... or gamestyle, i do believe. Although, a single 680 GTX can hold 60 FPS pretty well, which is all whats needed for a nice gameplay.:nerd: Most people actually cant feel the difference vs. 60 and 120 FPS, but as soon as they see a 120 FPS number on the screen they think its better. Its feelable for everyone at below 60, but above 60 its considered very smooth and almost no lack of "smoothness" anymore. Most people would not be able to "feel" the difference anymore. Remember: Most consoles got 30 FPS or even lower... 60 FPS is actually a lot. Its way more important that the GPU can hold those 60 FPS, when magics used and stuff, the GPU have the fight the breakdown with as much of resistance as possible, to avoid a nasty drop. GPUs able to do that, are the most valuable ones. While many weaker GPUs, when used in quad CF/SLI they could even outperform a 680 GTX/7970 easely (in average) but as soon as they have to fight lot of magics, the res/effect scaling is worse. The 680 GTX/7970 would have a lower breakdown because of theyr more effective architecture (in order to counter that situation) thus resulting into a stronger management of emergency situations. That behaviour is called stability, making those GPUs most valuable.

Guru 3D rating:
<30 FPS very limited gameplay
30-40 FPS average yet very playable
40-60 FPS good gameplay
>60 FPS best possible gameplay
Up to 60 is entire range, above 60 the difference is not truly feelable anymore.

kazuma56
Apr 8, 2012, 08:04 PM

we have the same laptop albeit a tad more ram on my end, running @ 800x600 resolution (window) and high textures with SD settings the graphical fidelity is this....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/kazuma56/pso20120408_205313_000.jpg

my score whilst running a video in the BG was this....
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/kazuma56/pso20120408_205423_001.jpg

It was averaging around 40ish fps throughout.... and i personally find that 800x600 works better for windows mode anyway as you can see the whole interface without it dropping into the taskbar....

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 08:07 PM
Fullscreen is not fullscreen, but i dont know the problem.

Randomness
Apr 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
It was averaging around 40ish fps throughout.... and i personally find that 800x600 works better for windows mode anyway as you can see the whole interface without it dropping into the taskbar....

Depends on your desktop resolution, really. (I run at 1600x900, so... yeah)

Zyrusticae
Apr 8, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thats not equally stable (http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/), we clearly can see in that test up to 70 ms on SLI, while single stayed at 25 ms. The lowest FPS (highest peak drop) for both setups was about 15 which is almost equal. Of course thats almost a worst case but in almost any term, a single GPU is more stable, thats why i only would use SLI/CF in term the performance difference vs. single GPU is outstanding. But as long as i dont need the performance, i see no use for. In PSO2 in dont need it, nor any other game i know of. Usualy when my GPU gets to weak i simply sell my old GPU for a few bucks and get me a new one.That's a pretty old article, y'know. Three years is an eternity in tech terms.

I feel compelled to point out this case (http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/7) where the micro-stuttering is completely nonexistent. Even in the Starcraft II or Battlefield: Bad Company II test, the highest frame time is close to 15ms - quite a bit faster than the GTX 570 and even the GTX 580. As long as those "micro-stutters" remain faster than a comparably-priced single-GPU solution, I'm sticking with it (and, frankly, it can only improve).

Xenobia
Apr 8, 2012, 08:36 PM
It is not nonexistent. There is some huge spikes on the SLI 570 GTX which was not present on the single 570 GTX. Sure, average performance is much higher, i never denied that fact.

Zyrusticae
Apr 8, 2012, 08:42 PM
They're "huge" in the sense that they're higher than normal, sure, but at 30ms the difference is virtually imperceptible, which was my point. 55ms jitter is far from the norm - it's a terrible exaggeration, in fact. I don't like exaggerations. :p

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 09:09 PM
*Scratches head in confusion* Yeah this is why I didn't major in any computer field.

Mitz
Apr 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
I can easyly spend 1000 euro for a new pc, I got keyboard and mouse and speakers so don't need that stuff. I do have a Full HD monitor with 1920x1080 but it has only VGA and DVI inputs (not sure how many graphic cards these days have HDMI). So yeah, depending what outputs the graphic cards has I can keep my monitor, if the GC only have HDMI these days then I need a new monitor as well but it won't be included in my budget for the PC in general.

Also if you end up with Option A vs a Option B where the diffrence is for example 50 euro but gives you so much more in return then I probarly consider going for that as well. I just want to be able to run this game (full screen most likelt) at max graphic settings and 1920x1080 resolution without any slowdown/lag. If that however will make me need a PC of 1500+ euro then I need to think about it big time.

I'm not a PC gamer really, it would only be for PSO2 so I don't care for other upcoming PC games that I might be able to run or not.

Also, added you to MSN.

Kinda stopped using it.

If you JUST want to play PSO, 1000 euros isn't needed at all. You can have something that can handle PSO2 on max easily for around 600-700. I'll put together a build but if you have time before you 'need' to upgrade then you should probably wait a few weeks until intel's new processors come out.

Here you go: http://www.alternate.nl/html/tu.html?sc=-1694302387

That should handle PSO2 on max settings. If you want to invest more into your computer to make it handle bigger PC games in the future(PC gaming is great once you get some good hardware. Preferable to console gaming imo) let me know and I can adjust the build.

You can connect your monitor to this, the only thing this doesn't include is Windows, which you'll have to obtain separately.

kazuma56
Apr 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
Depends on your desktop resolution, really. (I run at 1600x900, so... yeah)

on a laptop atm....so it looks odd with paired with the resolution this computer is made for (1280x800?)

Finalzone
Apr 9, 2012, 12:09 AM
Hardware spec:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 running at 3.4Ghz
8GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS

Lower setting at 640x480 score: 26635
Normal setting: 1283

I ordered a Geforce GTX 460 because of good performance and price ratio.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the recommended "score" you should have to determine whether you should run the game at your current settings?

Screenshot is my score with the following settings:
Fullscreen
Resolution: 1920x1080
Slider set to 5 (All settings maxed)
Score: 5122

See screenshot for system specs. I'm not doing any overclocking or anything fancy. I can't imagine that I wouldn't be able to run the game at maximum settings just fine, but just checking. Running dual 27" monitors... and boy does this game look good. :-)

[Spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/busta0990/pso20120406_210504_001.jpg[/Spoiler-box]

Here:
AMD Phenom II x4 940
8 GB DDR2-RAM
Geforce 8600 GTS

Your spec is similar to mine except the GPU which is from Geforce 8 series hence the bottleneck. My Geforce GTX 460 is coming which is comparable to Radeon 5800 family. I cannot wait to try it on benchmark.

Mitz
Apr 9, 2012, 12:22 AM
If all you do is play PSO2, just wait a few more months and save your budget on a newer card if you're upgrading anyway.

sovalou
Apr 9, 2012, 02:30 AM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8246/pso20120409111257000.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/pso20120409111257000.jpg/)

as long as it runs the game i couldn't care less. It'd be nice to play a PSO again anyways :D

Getintothegame
Apr 9, 2012, 04:53 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/haKA7.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Got this with lower end settings in a Virtual Machine. Very promising for updates before the game releases, and it seems like it will be playable in the VM. Of course, Boot Camp will provide more power.

I was getting scores of around 2000 in the game itself at Max Setttings in Boot Camp.

2011 iMac, 27 inch, top OOB model. Updating to 16GB RAM tomorrow, will update if there's a major improvement.

Edit: Am I new?!

Ce'Nedra
Apr 9, 2012, 05:51 AM
Kinda stopped using it.

If you JUST want to play PSO, 1000 euros isn't needed at all. You can have something that can handle PSO2 on max easily for around 600-700. I'll put together a build but if you have time before you 'need' to upgrade then you should probably wait a few weeks until intel's new processors come out.

Here you go: http://www.alternate.nl/html/tu.html?sc=-1694302387

That should handle PSO2 on max settings. If you want to invest more into your computer to make it handle bigger PC games in the future(PC gaming is great once you get some good hardware. Preferable to console gaming imo) let me know and I can adjust the build.

You can connect your monitor to this, the only thing this doesn't include is Windows, which you'll have to obtain separately.

I got no haste with building it right now, but I want to get it somewhere within the next few months though. Guess waiting will also make these parts cheaper or release better parts for the same price. Though I think i'd rather want more then 500gb HDD, and maybe also going for 8gb RAM or maybe an i6 processor (Heard the I series are pretty good) will work nicely but I think that will lead closer too the 1000 euro budget I got.

@blazingsonic: whatever you do, DON'T EVER BUY A DELL! Most crappy things I've ever seen in my life.

Mag-X
Apr 9, 2012, 08:06 AM
Though I think i'd rather ... an i6 processor

No such thing as an i6. If you mean an i7, they cost a good deal more than the i5 processors, and offer no benefit for gaming. Most games perform exactly the same on even an i3. i7s are for video editing and other tasks that require massive data crunching.

Games, while requiring good performance, are still a single application, and very few can take advantage of the i7s hyper-threading ability. The i7 and i5 are literally exactly the same except for hyper-threading and a bit of cache.

I have the original quad core i5 750 in my gaming PC, and it's still unbelievably quick.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 08:40 AM
I ordered a Geforce GTX 460 because of good performance and price ratio.

Thats hard to say, 460 GTX is 10-15% stronger than a 550 ti, however the 550 ti only costs 120$ and does consume less power and lesser heat = lesser noise.

A 6870 got more power than the 460 GTX for a marginally higher price of 20$. Aditionally the 6870 is much more power efficient (thus, over time getting back those 20 bucks).

A 7850 is somewhere between 560 GTX and 570 GTX, in many terms it can battle a 570 GTX, it comes at a price of 260$ which is cheaper than the competition (both of those in average). The 7850 does consume much lesser power (a single 6 PIN is sufficient) than the 2 competitors and generally stays colder.

Conclusion: If you only look at price/performance ratio, then 460 GTX is good buy, but if you take any given factors into account (TDP and more) then the 460 GTX cant hold up well anymore because it only is strong at performance/price but weak at most other spots.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 9, 2012, 08:47 AM
Well I believe you on your word for that, i heard from people at my work I5/6/7 processors are quite good so i thought 7 would beat 5 at everything, but if thats mostly for video editing then the i5 will serve me perfectly fine.

Mitz
Apr 9, 2012, 08:47 AM
I got no haste with building it right now, but I want to get it somewhere within the next few months though. Guess waiting will also make these parts cheaper or release better parts for the same price. Though I think i'd rather want more then 500gb HDD, and maybe also going for 8gb RAM or maybe an i6 processor (Heard the I series are pretty good) will work nicely but I think that will lead closer too the 1000 euro budget I got.

@blazingsonic: whatever you do, DON'T EVER BUY A DELL! Most crappy things I've ever seen in my life.

8 GB RAM is already included in the build. The only thing an i7 offers over an i5 is hyper threading which is of little value to you unless you're into multitasking or editing as games don't use it. Let's put it this way: the €40 spent upgrading the processor will be far more valuable spending on the graphics card. Replacing the 500 GB one with a 2000 one shouldn't be hard. Have you thought about an SSD? They really eat into loading times.

drmcst45
Apr 9, 2012, 09:47 AM
anyone else have a problem with the in game sound? specifically it is not playing despite being turned on in the options menu.. i'm wondering if i might need to re-install for the sound to work

Finalzone
Apr 9, 2012, 10:54 AM
Conclusion: If you only look at price/performance ratio, then 460 GTX is good buy, but if you take any given factors into account (TDP and more) then the 460 GTX cant hold up well anymore because it only is strong at performance/price but weak at most other spots.

Thanks for the detailed information. I would invest in AMD GPU but they have nasty driver issue on cooling on Linux based operating system (I mainly run crossplatform and experiment on Wine - stand for Wine is not emulator). I don't play FPS game anymore and rarely the need to go higher then 1600x1200 resolution due to LCD screen limit from the monitor.

Akaimizu
Apr 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/haKA7.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Got this with lower end settings in a Virtual Machine. Very promising for updates before the game releases, and it seems like it will be playable in the VM. Of course, Boot Camp will provide more power.

I was getting scores of around 2000 in the game itself at Max Setttings in Boot Camp.

2011 iMac, 27 inch, top OOB model. Updating to 16GB RAM tomorrow, will update if there's a major improvement.

Edit: Am I new?!

That's pretty nice performance off of a Virtual Machine.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 12:37 PM
[spoiler-box]
You probably can't buy a decent PC for around $500, but you can totally build one that can play PSO2 (and pretty much anything else, really)

Processor: Intel Pentium G620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399) $69.99
Video Card: XFX HD 6770 1GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540) $109.99
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262) $22.99
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241) $54.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770) $74.99
DVD-Burner SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244) $14.99
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER GX 450W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060) $49.99
Case: Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147073) $29.99
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) $99.99

Those looking to stay under $500 can downgrade the video card to a Radeon 5670. Those looking to spend a little more should bump the processor up to an i3 2100 or 2120 and 8GB of RAM.

As is though, this PC would play any game currently out, and would blow PSO2 away.[/spoiler-box]

I know a even cheaper PC, just wait until Ivy Bridge released (in a few months) and then run the game using the HD 4000, not even any GPU needed at all. :rolleyes:

Question is, "how good"... we arnt asking "if". It cost 300-400$ using the cheapest Ivy Bridge CPU having a HD 4000, and then all the other pieces pretty much just pick the cheapest (trash) stuff available. ;)

Its always "how good". PSO2 can be run on the highest junk available,... requirements are close to zero when shaders disabled.

A 5670 is weaker than a 9800 GT (by 10-15%) and even the HD 4000 got close to same power, i dunno who would ever be able to play PSO2 at high res using that... dunno how to call it. Its a office GPU, not a gamer GPU.

Griffin
Apr 9, 2012, 12:41 PM

As is though, this PC would play any game currently out, and would blow PSO2 away.

This sounds pretty sexy. I'm saving this for later.

All these components should be compatible with each other? Just checking.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
It doesnt blow PSO2 away, sometimes i wonder the maths behind. Well if 300$ is the budget, its simply the budget, so lets try at 300 this time. ;) I wont support that stuff, because its only causing wrong expectations. Will even delete my build stuff, i want the people to be responsible themself for using those "will blow it away" builds.

Griffin
Apr 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
Help a bro out, X. Lay it on me.

Edit: For me, go as far as being able to max PSO2 and Guild Wars 2.

GW2 Recommended Specs:

Intel: Core 2 Quad Q6400 2.13GHz
AMD: Phenom 9650 Quad-Core
Invidia: GeForce GTS 450 2GB DDR3
AMD: Radeon HD 5670 1024MB
4 GB RAM

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 01:00 PM
Im unable because im a perfectionist. The thing simply is, for about twice the price, the performance can be multiplied by more than twice, thus making a 500$ build a big burden into the eyes of any perfectionist, which means highest price/power ratio isnt reached at below 1000$.

re
Apr 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
[spoiler-box]http://xhizu.com/pso2/pso20120408_235334_000.jpg[/spoiler-box]
1920x1080 on lv1 <-- fixed
Sorry, it's the 2nd time I confused max and min numbers.

Griffin
Apr 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for trying.

Mag-X
Apr 9, 2012, 01:17 PM
Well I believe you on your word for that, i heard from people at my work I5/6/7 processors are quite good so i thought 7 would beat 5 at everything, but if thats mostly for video editing then the i5 will serve me perfectly fine.

The i5 is literally the same chip as the i7, but with hyper-threading disabled. (and an i3 is an i7 cut in half.)

Yes. That's a complete PC. Parts and prices are always changing. If you wait long enough you'll be able to get a better PC for the same price, but that's always the problem.

ShadiWulf
Apr 9, 2012, 01:37 PM
Is there anyone else here that has attempted to run the game on an old AM2 AMD X2 processor?

Paired with an old 7600GT and 2GB of ram i can play nicely on simple shaders, but I'm going to be upgrading the GPU to something much more modern in hopes that I'd be able to play with standard shaders. GPU's I had in mind were 460 GTX, 550 GTX Ti, and 560 GTX. I also plan to upgrade my processor in the future to an i5, but I can't afford it right now, cause i'd also have to get a new motherboard, and ram.

So I figured i'd concentrate on what I think are the more urgent parts for the moment.. the PSU, GPU, and add some more ram. Would my CPU hold me back from using the standard shaders? I would think shaders would be completely GPU dependent, but I'm not a PC expert, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks! ^^

ah, btw here is my becnhmark with my current specs
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg261/Shadiwulf/pso2/pso20120408_175423_000.jpg

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 01:38 PM
As is though, this PC would play any game currently out, and...
What do you mean by "play"? Just kinda wonder how you consider something playable.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 9, 2012, 02:02 PM
Xenobia, no offense or anything, but what exactly is your deal? You're not helping anyone by criticizing people trying to build a budget system. If you can't bring yourself to recommend anything that doesn't cost a grand or more, that's fine. But not everyone is willing to spend that much, nor do they really need to. A $1000 rig for someone who just wants to play PSO2 and general web browsing/productivity is a waste when they can get what they want for half that.

And uh, no, I'm pretty sure the HD4000 won't be sufficient for playing PSO2, except maybe on absurdly low resolutions with everything minimum and shaders on low (and I don't advocate anyone playing with the shader option down if they can avoid it). However, you can easily build a $500-600 rig with a dedicated GPU that can handle PSO2 at a decent resolution with mid-to-high settings. Heck, if you wait for Trinity to come out, the integrated graphics in that will certainly be able to handle it.

drmcst45
Apr 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
From a laptop point of view i can vouch my system appears to be around the low end for those looking to play this game.

i5 2450
4gb ram
Intel HD 3000 switchable to AMD Radeon 6650 2gb

Full screen 1280x720 Shader 3, Medium Texture, HD disabled. 2700 benchmark with HD3000 and 4100 benchmark when Radeon card is switched over.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 02:23 PM
You're not helping anyone by criticizing people trying to build a budget system. If you can't bring yourself to recommend anything that doesn't cost a grand or more, that's fine. But not everyone is willing to spend that much, nor do they really need to. A $1000 rig for someone who just wants to play PSO2 and general web browsing/productivity is a waste when they can get what they want for half that.

Whats in 5 years? Are they still only looking to play PSO2 in average settings (it wont be highest) and general web browsing? Or gonna buy a second one and finally pay twice of it? Narrow minded stuff is hard to tackle. It works for maybe 750 EUR or 1000$, to be fully future proof and fully suitable for any PSO2 setting under any conditions, i still do backup that view and put my mark in it.

Im not looking to "help out" thats why i dont release setups anymore, so it doesnt matter if i help or not. Im glad that they got you guys, no need to waste time. Stuff been solved!

All i was asking is to gain understanding, just for myself, i dont want to help. ;) I mean, so much stuff being said which i can barely believe, thats why i ask... friendly.

Mag-X
Apr 9, 2012, 02:30 PM
What do you mean by "play"? Just kinda wonder how you consider something playable.

By "play" I mean play at high settings for most games. My step-brother and friend both just built PCs similar to what I listed, and they play everything just fine. For some games, you may need to turn off a few advanced graphics settings or lower the resolution, but what do you want for $500?

I have a ridiculously high end gaming PC, but I realize that it's major overkill for 95% of games. Most games are ports from consoles, so a decent modern dual core and a mid-range video card are more than enough.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 02:40 PM
Its true about the console ports, but that doesnt mean that they can handle just about every game close to max @1080, at least not when weaker than what i got (6950).

Example Witcher 2: When i turn any setting to max, but i do disable super sample (always recommended) i still wont have to high FPS, around 40 only @1080. At EVE Online i still get FPS drops down to 40 or even lower, a good FPS is critical in a heavy PVP environment. Its fine but my GPU is not a overkill, and any GPU lower than that would not be fully sufficient for high res at many games. Next year we have new console hardware releases, as soon as it happens, the demand for PC games will go up significantly, i see it coming. The current consoles are 6-7 year of age and totaly outdated.

At PSO2, at highest res @1080, a single 560 GTX/6870 would be sufficient. A 7850 even giving some good overhead = it would own PSO2 thats why i recommended, even under extreme conditions. Lower than that, no warranty for. Benchmark is different from ingame, Ingame it generelly gets harder... and we do not want FPS to have heavy drops, means we cant anymore go high res... so its not sufficient in that term. All i can say, not looking to help, just inform about my view/knowledge. Just kinda not enjoy when people say that my stuff is hilarious, its well calculated to be foolproof. And when a CPU is to weak... upgrade will not be possible, can throw the entire PC away as soon as bottlenecked by the CPU... 2 core is not recommended. A CPU at almost full load is a bad thing because it will become unresponsive, it cant anymore execute quick commands when the cores are overused. So a CPU should stay below ~80% in order to have a snappy system. It would take double to have some foolproof build in many spots, even toward some future possibilitys.

I dont care... really, just not to say stuff which is simply not fully true.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 04:54 PM
Well, i dont believe you. Guess you forgot to accept your changes.

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2012, 05:46 PM
I agree with ^, it's basically impossible for a 460 to get that high a score on maximum settings.

Even if it were tri-SLI, that score would be questionable.

Ryo
Apr 9, 2012, 06:13 PM
I agree with ^, it's basically impossible for a 460 to get that high a score on maximum settings.

Even if it were tri-SLI, that score would be questionable.

Agreed. I'm running a GTX 560Ti with 12GB of RAM and a similar core i5 and I don't come anywhere NEAR that score. I get 7,000 at best.

IHeartRice
Apr 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
I figured I should throw in another opinion on a budget build ~$600:

NZXT Source 210 (http://www.amazon.com/Technologies-Source-210-Computer-Black/dp/B005869A7K/ref=sr_1_23?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1334011359&sr=1-23) $40
Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288) $55 $30 after rebate
i3-2120 + DVD Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.890123) $139
Corsair CX430v2 PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026) $45 $35 after rebate
4GB GSkill DDR3 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396) $23

AMD or Nvidia GPU below, your choice:
Asus Radeon HD 6850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419) $140 w/ $10 off promo code ASUS45 $120 after rebate
MSI GTX 460 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127646) $140 $120 after rebate

WD 320GB 7200RPM HDD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770) $74.99
Windows 7 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) $100

Around $617 before rebates
Around $562 after rebates

Of course things can be changed around in the build, and the build could become much cheaper by reusing your OS, hard drives, etc.

Tetsaru
Apr 9, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have an i5 2500K at stock settings (3.3 Ghz), a GTX 560 Ti, and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM (not sure what frequency, guessing either 1333 Mhz or 1600 Mhz), and at max settings, save for 1680 x 1050 resolution, I get a little over 10,000.

At default settings when I first installed the program, I got around 33,000. I don't see how re's getting 59,000, unless that extra RAM really makes a difference, which I highly doubt...

Dinosaur
Apr 9, 2012, 06:25 PM
Repost of an extreme budget build

[spoiler-box]
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/1329280793697.png[/spoiler-box]

Then throw in a video card

6770 for budget ($100)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102940

6850 for more performance ($140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384

If you can spend the extra 40 on the 6850, do it.

Total = $450~

With a 6770, this build should easily score 4000+ points on the benchmark(standard settings, 1440x900)

Griffin
Apr 9, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm so confused! So many good, cheap builds. I don't know what to go for. The only PC games I care for at the moment are PSO2 and Guild Wars 2. If I only care for going max on them, what would be a good budget build?

Skyly
Apr 9, 2012, 06:38 PM

I'm gonna be upgrading to the i3 actually. And won't be needing a OS. I'll get that myself. Or use the free trial and upgrade it later. Could we do an upgrade on the GFX card? and update it to a 600$ build.

Are all GFX card compatible with Intel and AMD?..

And I also understand where Xenonia is coming from. Maybe he's just being misunderstood.

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 06:41 PM
Maybe he is a PC god.

Ioriya
Apr 9, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have an i5 2500K at stock settings (3.3 Ghz), a GTX 560 Ti, and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM (not sure what frequency, guessing either 1333 Mhz or 1600 Mhz), and at max settings, save for 1680 x 1050 resolution, I get a little over 10,000.

At default settings when I first installed the program, I got around 33,000. I don't see how re's getting 59,000, unless that extra RAM really makes a difference, which I highly doubt...

They probably just turned off certain settings or lied about them, then proceeded to bullshit the score.

You know how those people who love to get some attention on themselves roll.

I have two GTX 285s in SLI and i only got 8800 at 1920x1080 at lvl 5 settings.

Maybe he is a bullshit god.

corrected.

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 07:27 PM
Fair enough, mybe he got the beams (Shaders) crossed and mixed it up.

Mitz
Apr 9, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm gonna be upgrading to the i3 actually. And won't be needing a OS. I'll get that myself. Or use the free trial and upgrade it later. Could we do an upgrade on the GFX card? and update it to a 600$ build.

We can just make you a personalized build based on your budget and preferences, it's not that much trouble.

Vashyron
Apr 9, 2012, 07:38 PM
I SEEE EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERYTHING

[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012012_000.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012116_009.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012119_010.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012124_012.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012227_025.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012248_031.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Also FOV issues.

But yes, Custom Resolutions are possible by editing your settings file.

(Wasn't sure where to post this.)

Griffin
Apr 9, 2012, 07:39 PM
We can just make you a personalized build based on your budget and preferences, it's not that much trouble.

Well, see, I'm kinda still waitin'.

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2012, 07:47 PM
I SEEE EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERYTHING

[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012012_000.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012116_009.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012119_010.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012124_012.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012227_025.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012248_031.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Also FOV issues.

But yes, Custom Resolutions are possible by editing your settings file.

(Wasn't sure where to post this.)

Jesus ^%$#ing Christ man, do you play on a movie theater screen?

*goes to see Levia in mountain resolution*

Mag-X
Apr 9, 2012, 07:48 PM
Its true about the console ports, but that doesnt mean that they can handle just about every game close to max @1080, at least not when weaker than what i got (6950).

Example Witcher 2: When i turn any setting to max, but i do disable super sample (always recommended) i still wont have to high FPS, around 40 only @1080. At EVE Online i still get FPS drops down to 40 or even lower, a good FPS is critical in a heavy PVP environment. Its fine but my GPU is not a overkill, and any GPU lower than that would not be fully sufficient for high res at many games. Next year we have new console hardware releases, as soon as it happens, the demand for PC games will go up significantly, i see it coming. The current consoles are 6-7 year of age and totaly outdated.

The Witcher 2 will still play just fine on that card. No, not at max settings, but the Witcher 2 was actually designed for PC, and is part of a tiny percentage of games that can really take advantage of modern hardware. It still looks damn good on medium though.

Just because a few games won't run on max or high settings, doesn't mean they look terrible on medium or are unplayable. Even at medium most games still look a hell of a lot better than they do on consoles.

It's a budget build.

Vashyron
Apr 9, 2012, 07:56 PM
Lol no I don't own any Monitor of that size, just did it as a test. (Squashed Aspect Ratio, but using the in game screen grab function it's fine.)

Anyone who does own a huge Monitor like that can do it fine though. (I haven't found a way to do this on Multi-Monitor.) If they don't mind the FOV issues.

[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012202_020.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Mitz
Apr 9, 2012, 07:57 PM
Well, see, I'm kinda still waitin'.

Waiting on what?

re
Apr 9, 2012, 08:47 PM
I've edited my original, it was on lv1
I'll just refer to them as low/med/high

This is a retest on low:
[spoiler-box]http://xhizu.com/pso2/pso20120409_203822_000.jpg[/spoiler-box]

This is my latest on high:
[spoiler-box]http://xhizu.com/pso2/pso20120409_203331_000.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 08:53 PM
Damn Vash destroying my monitor and shish.

I CAN SEE CLEARY NOW THE CARS ARE THEEERRRREEE.

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry Vashyron (Can I call you Vash?), could you explain a bit more in depth how you did that? I'd love to mess around with giant pictures like that. Mostly to perv around with Levia, but I'm sure I'll find other uses.

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 10:48 PM
Lol no I don't own any Monitor of that size, just did it as a test. (Squashed Aspect Ratio, but using the in game screen grab function it's fine.)

Anyone who does own a huge Monitor like that can do it fine though. (I haven't found a way to do this on Multi-Monitor.) If they don't mind the FOV issues.

[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_012202_020.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Huh...*

Plugs into my wide screen tv...

Messes with FOV

I CAN SEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Vashyron
Apr 9, 2012, 11:03 PM
Haha. Don't mind Vash.

You do this by going Documents\SEGA folder open user_benchmark.pso2 with Notepad.

Look for:
Height = X
Width = X
(X Being your current chosen Resolution.)

Set those to whatever you like.

Then also set:
FullScreen = false
VirtualFullScreen = true

This also gives you the Alpha 2 "Fake Fullscreen" (Like Fullscreen, but allows you to Alt + Tab.) It's needed to go absurd resolutions beyond your Monitor capability.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 9, 2012, 11:05 PM
Then also set:
FullScreen = false
VirtualFullScreen = true

This also gives you the Alpha 2 "Fake Fullscreen" (Like Fullscreen, but allows you to Alt + Tab.) It's needed to go absurd resolutions beyond your Monitor capability.
Oh yesh, they still have the borderless window option, they just took it out of the configuration. Thanks Vash.

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks. Gonna try that out right now.

I don't see a VitualFullScreen in the file. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Vashyron
Apr 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
Have a 7640 x 4320 Resolution of the City.

[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Benchmark/pso20120410_052759_000.jpg[/spoiler-box]

*Gonna remove this in a few hours, it's gonna eat up my Dropbox Bandwith.

I don't see a VitualFullScreen in the file. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Strange? It should be there, if it really isn't try adding it to the rest, like:

Windows = {
FullScreen = false,
Height3d = 480,
Height = X,
VirtualFullScreen = true,
Width3d = 640,
Width = X,

(Put your res in X.)

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 11:58 PM
Psssst, Vash, Ok my tv is about 1920-1024 and I am duplicating from my laptop VIA HDMI, now on my laptop the bench mark runs on full screen based off my laptop screen 1366-768, and it runs smooth but on my tv it runs sorta smooth but you can tell it's still running "slower/ more laggy on my tv. anyway to fix that O: ?

Macman
Apr 9, 2012, 11:59 PM
FPS: 001New challenge: How low can you make your benchmark score go without crashing?

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
[spoiler-box]http://i.cubeupload.com/95olek.jpg[/spoiler-box]

New challenge: How low can you make your benchmark score go without crashing?

If I had the patience to keep it running it would end up 0 I guess. :wacko:

Psssst, Vash, Ok my tv is about 1920-1024 and I am duplicating from my laptop VIA HDMI, now on my laptop the bench mark runs on full screen based off my laptop screen 1366-768, and it runs smooth but on my tv it runs sorta smooth but you can tell it's still running "slower/ more laggy on my tv. anyway to fix that O: ?

Wouldn't know what to say, except don't duplicate the screen and have it only running on the TV? You lose giant performance having it render 2 times like that unless you really need it.

blazingsonic
Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
The included video card is kind of lame, and I'd bet the included power supply can just barely handle it. If you want to swap out the power supply and video card, that would be a decent PC, but it's a waste of several hundred dollars over building your own.

In my case building is too risky of an investment since I have zero training in that field. As I said earlier (Atleast I think I mentioned it) It has build in wifi so that's a plus since my computer won't be next to a router, I know everyone is pro do it yourself but I rather not take risk of messing up a build unless it's an older computer that I have laying around.
If the graphic card and power supply is the problem I can work that out since I don't have to fiddle with the motherboard.

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2012, 12:32 AM
Oh my god, that last picture made me lose it. I've never wanted to be that close to a man's face.

Faiyez
Apr 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
I do have a Full HD monitor with 1920x1080 but it has only VGA and DVI inputs (not sure how many graphic cards these days have HDMI). So yeah, depending what outputs the graphic cards has I can keep my monitor, if the GC only have HDMI these days then I need a new monitor as well

I can't believe nobody clarified on this.

No, you don't need a new monitor because DVI is enough. DVI is current standard for PC displays and graphics cards. DVI input is just as good as HDMI in picture bandwidth as well.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 12:42 AM

No, you don't need a new monitor because DVI is enough. DVI is current standard for PC displays and graphics cards. DVI input is just as good as HDMI in picture bandwidth as well.
Huh, yeah I totally missed that. As Faiyez said, DVI is fine and the picture quality is just as good as HDMI. Only real reason to have HDMI is for convenience, since it'd be easy to hook up Blu-ray/game consoles/etc., as well as having high-quality digital audio over the same cable (though that's pretty much a non-issue, since if you want high-quality audio you're not using some crappy speakers built into your monitor). Pretty much all graphics cards come with DVI standard, so you don't have to worry about getting a new monitor if you upgrade your GPU.

Edit: Yeah, as Vash said, HDMI<->DVI are interchangable as far as the video is concerned. That's why you can use passive HDMI-to-DVI converters with no loss of picture quality.

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
HDMI is DVI, but with sound data included.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 12:50 AM
HDMI is DVI, but with sound data included.
And HDCP and CEC.

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 01:31 AM
Good news, I can duplicate and run it perfectly just have to run it in windows mode on my exact resolution so everything fits on the screen perfectly. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to move the friggen task bar. or make it disappear behind the window.

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 01:34 AM
You can use the Fake Fullscreen for that, explained how to to it on the last page.

Skyly
Apr 10, 2012, 01:46 AM
Processor: Inte Core i3 2120 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077) $127.99
Video Card: EVGA GTX 550 2GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652) $169.99 $139.99 after mail-in rebate
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315) $48.99
Hard Drive: Chronos 60GB SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247) $74.00
DVD-Burner: Samsung 22X DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244) $17.99
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER GX 450W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060) $49.99 39.99 after mail-in rebate
Case: LOGISYS Computer CS888CL Transparent Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148001) $59.99

Total: $593.93
Total: 565.93 after mail-in rebates

How is there for a build that I put together myself.

Dinosaur
Apr 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
Processor: Inte Core i3 2120 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077) $127.99
Video Card: EVGA GTX 550 2GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652) $169.99 $139.99 after mail-in rebate
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315) $48.99
Hard Drive: Chronos 60GB SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247) $74.00
DVD-Burner: Samsung 22X DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244) $17.99
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER GX 450W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060) $49.99 39.99 after mail-in rebate
Case: LOGISYS Computer CS888CL Transparent Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148001) $59.99

Everything looks great except for the video card. Nvidia is not leading the video card race and the 500 series is one of the reasons(minus the 560ti). A RADEON 6850 will significantly outperform that 550ti for the same price.

You could also save 15-20 bucks by getting cheaper RAM.

Also, that case is extremely inconvenient when it comes to putting it together.

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
Yeah it works wonders thanks Vash, also the AA must be 16x or something, I gained a full 200+ with it off.

TextureResolution = 2,
Display = {
ShadowQuality = 3,
ReflectionQuality = 3,
DitailModelNum = 12,
},
Function = {
Reflection = true,
AntiAliasing = false,
LightShaft = true,
Blur = false,
Bloom = false,
Depth = false,
LightEffect = true,
LightGeoGraphy = true

But with those settings I only had a difference of 100 points compared to AA LG and LS off.

But with AA on and LG and LS off I lost 200, AA is sorta demanding in this game but I rather sacrifice smooth edges for better lighting.

Finalzone
Apr 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
Running PSO CC on Fedora Linux via Wine for fun.
Benchmark run smoothly with SD resolution at 1024x768.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 03:01 AM

A few things:

1) Like Dino said, at that price range, a Radeon 6850 is a better choice.
2) Again, like Dino said, case. If you want a crappy case, get a crappy one for $20, not $50. There are much better case options at that price range, such as the Antech Three Hundred (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042) or Fractal Design Core 3000 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352010). But, the case is a bit of a subjective thing, and if the all-clear design endears itself to you, then get what you'll be happy with.
3) I actually disagree with Dino on the RAM. You can't get 8GB of DDR3 for much cheaper from a decent brand with heat spreaders. The set you have linked are the slower 1333MHz (not that it matters much with Sandy Bridge, but...) which are actually discontinued. You should get the 1600MHz set that runs you a whole dollar more here. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202)
4) While I'm a big advocate of SSDs, 60GB will hold the OS and a few programs, and that's about it. You'd better have a secondary HDD for the bulk of your programs and for media.

Otherwise, it's a fine build that will run PSO2 beautifully.

SolRiver
Apr 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
Though the topic has moved on, I would like to point out a few things about multi-GPU anyway.

For most people, going for single high end GPU and change it whenever a new one come out is quite economical (selling old one).

However, that do not apply to me. I maintain several machines and it is just not economical to have all of them upgrade to a new GPU every single time a new product hit the market. Crossfire and SLI had been a godsend for someone like me who need to keep several machines to mid-end instead of 1 machine to high-end. I simply pull out one card from one of the machine, and insert it into another, and now I have a machine that rival the newer single-GPU. Of course, I am constantly hurt by the severe lack of support of multi-GPU driver and game engines; but the amount of money I saved doing this had been quite worth it.

Well, that was why I was happy with PSO2's support for multi-GPU.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 10, 2012, 06:28 AM
Could someone explain why my score is so low? I have been comparing it to some of the dual core pics and it doesn't add up. This was on 1 settings on everything and windowed 1024x786. http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/DeathDragon2332/550.png

Dinosaur
Apr 10, 2012, 07:01 AM
Could someone explain why my score is so low? I have been comparing it to some of the dual core pics and it doesn't add up. This was on 1 settings on everything and windowed 1024x786. http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/DeathDragon2332/550.png

1. Four cores does not mean double the performance of a dual core.
2. Video games on PCs rely on a video card more-so than the processor.
3. Try turning off Aero(switch to a basic theme) then try again.

Mag-X
Apr 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
In my case building is too risky of an investment since I have zero training in that field. As I said earlier (Atleast I think I mentioned it) It has build in wifi so that's a plus since my computer won't be next to a router, I know everyone is pro do it yourself but I rather not take risk of messing up a build unless it's an older computer that I have laying around.
If the graphic card and power supply is the problem I can work that out since I don't have to fiddle with the motherboard.

You can buy USB wireless adapters for $20. We have a bunch of cheap-o Rosewill ones at work, and they work great.

As for putting a PC together yourself, you're overestimating how difficult it is. PCs are made from standardized parts. The motherboard is attached with a couple of stand-offs and screws. Intel CPUs are stupid easy to install; just line up the notches on the sides. The cooler is easy too.

There are plenty of guides out there on the internet with video tutorials and everything.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
The Witcher 2 will still play just fine on that card. No, not at max settings, but the Witcher 2 was actually designed for PC, and is part of a tiny percentage of games that can really take advantage of modern hardware. It still looks damn good on medium though.

Just because a few games won't run on max or high settings, doesn't mean they look terrible on medium or are unplayable. Even at medium most games still look a hell of a lot better than they do on consoles.

It's a budget build.

A budget comes always at a cost. When i unleash the max possible on my prefered build, and turning the clocks up, a budget build will be outpaced 3 times for less than 3 times the price and even having cheaper upgrade possibilitys (its cheaper to make it even faster). Thats why i wont offer "budget builds" but i can totaly understand the people, they simply dont have more than that. They get help from countless users so my participation is a waste. Im just here to inform about what a build can do and what not... i want to increase knowledge. Some users got in mind, that it dont "have" to cost more, i want to make sure that no wrong stuff being said, because that is a short term solution and the expression is only valid in short term, not in long term. Everything i do is long term, because over time it comes cheaper and is better for environment.

DVI can be taken over to HDMI without loss. Simply have to get a cable who got a DVI to HDMI IN/OUT. DVI however, does lack a audio channel.

Even cheapest cards got at least 1x DVI and 1x HDMI. More expensive one may have several DVI and several display ports. When Toslink available, sound data can be taken over by SPDIF at full quality. In term its available, HDMI isnt truly required. HDMI might have higher possibilitys at advanced formats but 99% of the people arnt using it. HDMI can only maintain full audio quality using a AV receiver (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120177), else its useless. AMD cards got a own sound processor directly builded into the card, at Nvidia im not sure but i think they should have same standart.

SolRiver
Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Could someone explain why my score is so low? I have been comparing it to some of the dual core pics and it doesn't add up. This was on 1 settings on everything and windowed 1024x786.

Because your graphic card is not designed to output the kind of power that is needed for this game.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Your current video card is at low end video card chart.

There is no way around it aside switching to a different video card, and since you are using a laptop... you probably can't change video card. You will need a different PC.

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
Because your graphic card is not designed to output the kind of power that is needed for this game.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Your current video card is at low end video card chart.

There is no way around it aside switching to a different video card, and since you are using a laptop... you probably can't change video card. You will need a different PC.

Most people can't do that very easily.

Mitz
Apr 10, 2012, 01:14 PM

Dont be a pussy. Most of us learned with trial and error back when we were 14 with no means to replace broken parts. Far more riskier. Just because you put it together yourself doesn't mean you build it from scratch. It's made to be assembled. You can put together something from Ikea can't you? You don't need any training in the field of carpeting to put together an Ikea bed. Built in wifi is something you can easily put in your computer and some motherboards even have it included.

The only 'risk' is static electricity. Just by grounding yourself to the case of the pc you will be ok. There are tons of excellent guides and videos out there and we can help you at any step. I've said this before: learning how to build your own computer is something every gamer should learn. It will save you a lot of money or add a lot of performance for the same money.

Mitz
Apr 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
Most people can't do that very easily.

So? Doesn't change the fact the information is accurate. If he tones down the resolution, slides down settings and closes other programs I'm sure it'll probably be in the playable levels(say 20-30 fps) but to make the game truly enjoyable, you will have to upgrade.

blazingsonic
Apr 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well excuse me for living...

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
So? Doesn't change the fact the information is accurate. If he tones down the resolution, slides down settings and closes other programs I'm sure it'll probably be in the playable levels(say 20-30 fps) but to make the game truly enjoyable, you will have to upgrade.

Never said the information was inaccurate.

So... yeaaaaa

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Just hit it with a bat, expect great results.

TelleT
Apr 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Max (5) @ 1920x1080 Full - 8123
Max (5) @ 1920x1080 Windowed - 8306
Low (1) @ 640x480 Windowed - 77885
Specs on Spoiler!
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i43.tinypic.com/qq7qlk.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Dell Latitude E5410 (Laptop):
Low (1) @ 640x480 Windowed - 1227

Laptop Specs
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i41.tinypic.com/2igirlj.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Macman
Apr 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
I wish the results gave a running average on framerate as well as the final score.

Jonth
Apr 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Well excuse me for living...

Wait, what? Mitz was just giving you some tough love. You apparently never had parents and friends like mine lol. Anyway, if you don't want to build your own, then pay the extra cash. It's the way the world works. If you can't or won't provide a service for yourself, there is someone out there who will provide it to you for a fee.

It's not complicated though. I have no formal training, and me and a friend (who also has no formal training) installed a power supply in my computer yesterday without even looking at a tutorial. Sure, I have read some things about computer hardware before, and been told a little by those who know what they're doing, but nothing formal myself. It is very easy and pretty rewarding actually.

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Have you guys noticed how the CC "burns" your gfx card? Just having it sit there causes it to utilize 100% without even a rest. My card can hit between 90-93c from this.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/Ioriya/PSO2CCBurns.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

zelda_king3
Apr 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Have you guys noticed how the CC "burns" your gfx card? Just having it sit there causes it to utilize 100% without even a rest. My card can hit between 90-93c from this.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/Ioriya/PSO2CCBurns.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Yeah I noticed. My GPU fan will spin up and be real loud. Even when the program is in the background in window mode while I'm on Firefox.

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah I noticed. My GPU fan will spin up and be real loud. Even when the program is in the background in window mode while I'm on Firefox.

It's like, i don't even need furmark to burn my card anymore.

Just boot up this CC and let it work. It's also a lot more interactive.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Well, not entirely true. Furmark does stress the card much more (although many drivers are trying to protect the GPU, so Furmark is weakened). Same for many other games such as Witcher 2. Another game producing much more stress is the updated version of Earth 2160 at max settings, it can even bring down a 6950 to very laggy FPS values. They do burn up ~10-15ฐ higher than PSO2 ever could. GPUs who create 90ฐ at PSO2 would end at <105ฐ and reach a critical condition. A GPU who is set up correctly should not exceed 80ฐ at PSO2. However, a GTX 460/M is a pretty hot card, so its not uncommon to reach very high values with. Definitely i wouldnt OC that card, it can be killed.

Reason is not visible in a load usage because a GPU, even at 100% load, is not necessarely fully utilized because the measurement is simply based on a few spots on the architecture but it doesnt take every single spot into account. Result simply is that 100% can not be trusted and its never foolproof because a GPU got a complex architecture and PSO2 is only using a few parts of that architecture, while other games are utilizing much more, same for Furmark.

While the PSO2 load is mainly caused by the lack of V-Sync, therefore shouting around FPS values in a insane quantity, it does utilize only a few spots of the GPU, thus creating a unbalanced load. Finally its rather weak utilized and not creating to much heat. Thats why we still didnt get a burned laptop, which is actually a miracle. ;)

Skyly
Apr 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quick question. When actually assembling the PC. How do you guys stay grounded and discharge static. I've seen a few assembly videos, some with a static mat thingy and others with no mat. In the NeweggTV PC build he touched the chassis every so often to discharge any static he had built up.. Any tips on this aspect of building a PC?

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
I'm probably gonna tear apart this laptop and do a re-paste, because this 90-93 scares me a bit.

blazingsonic
Apr 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
Wait, what? Mitz was just giving you some tough love. You apparently never had parents and friends like mine lol. Anyway, if you don't want to build your own, then pay the extra cash. It's the way the world works. If you can't or won't provide a service for yourself, there is someone out there who will provide it to you for a fee.

It's not complicated though. I have no formal training, and me and a friend (who also has no formal training) installed a power supply in my computer yesterday without even looking at a tutorial. Sure, I have read some things about computer hardware before, and been told a little by those who know what they're doing, but nothing formal myself. It is very easy and pretty rewarding actually.

I take it Mitz is a close personal friend of yours.
If it's that easy then what do I have to do? Everyone is so sure about building a PC for PSO2, what's bothers me is no one knows the system requirements.

Macman
Apr 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
I noticed my GPU whirring pretty loud too, so I ran the CC for a while on max settings with a program logging my GPU temps.
Thankfully it never passed 65ฐC so I think I'm in the clear from having my video card melt.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
The PC case may work but it have to be grounded, or at least it have to hit the floor directly by its metal body. In term the case is grounded (it have to be connected to the electric socket, the middle plug), it surely will do the trick. Generally i wouldnt worry to much about it. Best protection is not to touch your hardware at the critical spots. Only touch the PCB at the edge which doesnt charge up, that way the possibility of electric shock is almost zero (i never had any dead piece because of it). A CPU should never be touched at its PIN anyway, so the risk isnt high at all. It got a PCB and i wouldnt even suggest to touch it without using some thin gloves (as long as they do not contain water, they wont discharge). It would even work to build the PC barefooted while hitting the earth by the feets, 100% discharged after (can build the stuff close to your garden :D) . ;)

Eayest solution to be secure is just to use some thin gloves, easy as that. But some people cant work well using it. Ah yes, another thing to recommend is to wash the hands by lot of Kaoline powder at the beginning, it does remove conductive sweat and even place a thin layer of non conductive material. It even does seal the hands from sweat during the progress which does protect the pieces from possible acid (which is naturaly part of our skin). Kaoline is very skin friendly, many people use it in order to wash theyr hands.

Capacitors should generally never be touched, the huge ones when they are defective can discharge a extremely high amount of energy and it can even easely kill a human, because they can discharge in a few nanosecons. In term a human gets hit by such a big baby, its not fun at all.

Well, thats pretty much all of it... but people see, even the smallest thing can be done sloppy, or simply perfect. As more of perfection, as lesser the risk of failure...

If it's that easy then what do I have to do? Everyone is so sure about building a PC for PSO2, what's bothers me is no one knows the system requirements.
Mitz may sound heavy and he might approach you like a tiger, but he only got the very best intention, and you might be able to reach new possibilitys by enabling it.

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Some GPU Max Temp can reach up to 120c. While you don't want it running that hot, no need to get bothered if it's no where near your "limit."

Just make sure to look up your own card for it's safe temp.

Also using Furmark to test your GPU is overkill, no game ever puts that much pressure on a card.
(I know it's intention is to be Overkill, but like I said no game puts that much pressure.)

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
So I Vash, my configs for Fraps is Full screen 30FPS, now PSO2 specs is Virtual Fullscreen 1366-728, max settings level 3 shader just minus the Blur and AA and I got the 698, you think it will be decent?

Mitz
Apr 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
I never had any issues with static electricity myself and the only precautions I ever take is touching the case every so often and not building the PC on a carpet. I'm a pretty paranoid person worrying about breaking things.

Minimum Requirements
Windows XP 32bit Japanese Language
Windows Vista / 7 32bit or 64bit Japanese Language
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher
RAM: Windows XP 1.5GB or higher
RAM: Windows Vista / 7 2GB or higher
HDD: 8GB or higher
Resolution: 1280ื720 or higher
NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT or similar graphics card or higher
DirectX 9.0c or higher
Broadband connection

These were for Alpha and haven't seemed to be updated for Beta so we're pretty sure it's something similar to this. We're so sure about the systems we put together for PSO2 because they generally beat the specs out of the water. If you're interested; here's a great read: http://www.thepcresource.com/gettingstarted

If you think you want to build one yourself, give us your budget and we can give you a decent build for you to order. If you would rather have a preassembled computer then that's fine, just more expensive for less.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
When the hardware parts are only touched at theyr edges of the PCB, i consider it extremely hard to break it, even when fully charged up by a storm of lighning. ;) Its not wrong to have some additional security though, but indeed, touching case might be fine. I build my stuff on a bamboo floor... barefooted. ;) Kinda like Dojo Style.. :D I do believe that some of the spiritual energy does reach the hardware and somehow, i feel like it does perform outstanding... my benches are the proof of it.

Well, i mean, without "do it yourself" its not possible. Actually, in order to get a hardware stable under extreme conditions, every little factor is important. Even some negative electrical fields (our body is one of them) can cause a negative impact on the hardware and decrease maximum stability but science isnt far enough in order to measure any of it perfectly.

Mitz
Apr 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
When the hardware parts are only touched at theyr edges of the PCB, i consider it extremely hard to break it, even when fully charged up by a storm of lighning. ;) Its not wrong to have some additional security though, but indeed, touching case might be fine. I build my stuff on a bamboo floor... barefooted. ;) Kinda like Dojo Style.. :D I do believe that some of the spiritual energy does reach the hardware and somehow, i feel like it does perform outstanding... my benches are the proof of it.

Haha, yeah I do the same but I use regular wooden floors and my benches are shit.

Skyly
Apr 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
More than likely I will be building on top of my kitchen counter cause it a pretty big enough space for me to use..
So barefoot on a kitchen counter would be doable?

Putting the chassis on the kitchen counter and touching it from time to time.
Also placing the motherboard on top of the box it came in for stability.. (Seen that in the newegg video)
I also heard plugging in the PSU and touching that from time to time as well to discharge yourself.

SolRiver
Apr 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
Remember to calculate operating system (windows 7) cost into your build when you compare to vendor price.

Unless you are a ______ or use something other than windows or you have spare.

(note: if both vendor and self-built PC is the same price, the self-built usually end up much more worth the money due to not having shitty parts vendor usually give you to reduce cost)

Finalzone
Apr 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
I think mine was 4268 or something...

Edit: Correction! 4656 at 5 setting and shaders
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k54/RizenForce/Phantasy%20Star%20Online%202/pso22012-04-0505-23-09-08.jpg

I just installed my new Geforce GTX 460 1GB, setting to max PSO CC benchmark at fullscreen mode. Here is the result. Average runs at 100 fps. Looks like my GPU whooped yours ass. =p

Talk about a huge leap from the old Geforce 8600 GTS.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
Well, some vendors do build a PC out of own pieces we chose. However, the assembling will cost additional cash. The advantage is, in term something is faulty, just bring the whole PC back to vendor and they will deal with.

For experienced users however, they do manage themself and send the faulty piece back to vendor (or manufacturer). A service comes at a cost but for some people who do not like to deal with it can still be worth it. But i would not buy a already premade PC because there is always some junk inside, sadly.

How i did it is even more difficult because, i did chose the cheapest kind of item X, or Y, and that was not located all at the same shop. I did end up buying from many different shops. Handling warranty stuff will be much more complicated because have to send the piece to shop or directly to the manufacturer, additional work when there is a issue. However, i did save up a amazing amount of cash, up to 30% for every single piece by doing that. Its cheapest to build like that, however, its highest work i had to do for handling all the different sources and finally waiting for everything to arrive and stuff. It wasnt even possible to get all the pieces i want from same shop, its a bit complicated but finally i was happy that i got exactly the stuff i wanted for the cheapest price possible... simply perfect.

Mitz
Apr 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Well, some vendors do build a PC out of own pieces we chose.

I still consider that to be the same thing. Something like ibuypower's service still makes custom PCs you will have to do research for. Basically what they charge for is putting it together.

That's opposed to say, buying a premade HP or Dell where they usually include cheap RAM and oem PSUs to drive down costs making it seem comparable to custom ones, when they're of inferior quality.

However warranty services are usually better with premades.

Dinosaur
Apr 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
I just installed my new Geforce GTX 460 1GB, setting to max PSO CC benchmark at fullscreen mode. Here is the result. Average runs at 100 fps. Looks like my GPU whooped yours ass. =p

FYI your resolutions are different. You're running 1280x1024. Your friend is running something like 1600x900. He was also running FRPAS at the same time.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
When someone is totaly independent, going fully custom is always best deal. But for those who feel insecure or those who could feel overhelmed in term something gets defective or not working proper, they could get some backup by making use of a assembling service. They will get a increased warranty service (because the vendor will feel fully responsible), thats pretty much the only good choices.

The already prebuild one, the one who are not assembled on command by individually chosen pieces, i do not recommend. Both kind of prebuild got basically the same kind of service, with the difference that the fully prebuild one (standart build) is having worse stuff inside... truly worst case. Generally i can say, that the vendors sometimes are very helpful in term they got a assembling order, and will help in getting the right choice, its simply some kind of service in term some people feel insecure. Its not generally bad but it will always be more expensive... a service simply is never free with the exception of the service we give on that forum. ;)

Griffin
Apr 10, 2012, 08:28 PM

Talk about a huge leap from the old Geforce 8600 GTS.

How much was your rig?

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
So I Vash, my configs for Fraps is Full screen 30FPS, now PSO2 specs is Virtual Fullscreen 1366-728, max settings level 3 shader just minus the Blur and AA and I got the 698, you think it will be decent?

30 FPS Average? It would be playable to me, but possibly expect some frame drops depending on the situation.

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
Good enough =) Thanks man.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ahh I have no screen shots but. On my pc I got it running at 1024x786 Windowed Athlon x2 2.8Ghz Radeon HD 5450 and go somewhere in the 2000 range. But I will prob play it on 680x480 lmao I get it to 6800. That is with 1 settings as well. I so need a new rig.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
Just to make that clear, i do not recommend using furmark on a laptop and not even on a desktop PC because it does put a unrealistic load value on the GPU which is outside of any realistic environment. Its a test which does overly stress and even bust up hardware parts for no reason. So, just because i told that Furmark will run hotter, it doesnt mean that i support it. Nope.

[spoiler-box]But i do feel that 90ฐ on PSO2 for Laptop is the upper limit a GPU should have, for Desktop it should not go above 80ฐ, else it certainly wont be to good for the GPU when used over a longer gaming period... could even create instability. The official TjMax for a 460M is 105ฐ, not 120. 120 is some value of "still not getting instant-cooked below" but its a temp which will probably destroy the GPU over time (in a speed outside of any normal wear). 105 is the max "safe temp". TjMax means, its the spot where the hardware will clock itself down, so it wont go higher than that, out of self protection. At ~125ฐ it should shut itself down, then the screen should turn off instantly. It cant be reached unless the cooler is defective. Most coolers, when at standart settings, will start to increase fan speed to 100% at 100ฐ, thats in "smart mode", tuned in order to create as less noise as possible, but making a GPU as hot as it possibly could.

On some cheaper Laptops, the CPU cooler and GPU cooler are shared. On such machines, a GPU at 90ฐ can damage the CPU over time, and those kind of machines would already reach a critical value, however, they will probably shutdown at that point. The official max temp for average daily use for most Intel desktop CPUs is around 67.5ฐ-72.5ฐ as far as i can remember. However, that value is overly careful and rather unreaslistic for non high end systems (or non high end coolers). Unofficialy, the max temp should never exceed 75-80ฐ for desktop, or 85-90ฐ for Laptop. Although as higher the clock as higher the vulnerability toward high temps (thats why desktop should stay 10ฐ lower). The TjMax for Nehalem Intel CPUs is about 101ฐ, means they will clock themself down at 101ฐ, which is actually the "beginning of a critical value". Still not sure about Sandy Bridges, TjMax is probably 98ฐ, but it should never reach TjMax, its rather a emergency operation which should be avoided at all cost. On Real Remp, the preset alarm for CPU is 90ฐ, for GPU its 100ฐ.[/spoiler-box]

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
^ Well said.

Anyway on the Benchmark, lowering shadows from 5 to 3 made my score 1505 to 2680 and I really didn't notice much of a difference on the shadows, think I'll just keep it like this.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Furmark is useful exactly because it places an extreme load on the GPU which no real application ever would. If your GPU temp stays at an acceptable level while running Furmark, you don't have to worry about the GPU overheating during normal use.

Also, it's of use for overclockers to test stability. There's no way to be absolutely sure an overclock is 100% stable except to stress the hardware as hard as possible for a long period of time.

Ark22
Apr 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
What exactly does Fur mark do?

Xenobia
Apr 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
@Furmark Lover
[spoiler-box]Measurement of OC stability is always some game of cat and mouse because its close to impossible to detect even the slightest instability and in most real world performance, there wont be any instability at all.

Unless its putted into a abnormal stress mode. Such tools should not be used for longer than 15 min, because hardware will simply be burned down when to less careful in order to measure a stability level which was never needed. A hardware can even be burned down at low temps, thats no problem when stressed to much with to high clocks (and high volt). I would use a folder@home, seti@home or equal test, which can do exactly the same for you, putting lot of stress to the hardware. For the CPU its fine to use IntelBurn test or Prime 95 for 15 min. Laptop users generally should not OC nor do any @home, those systems are not made for it. So its no matter to them. @home generally should not be perma runned on OC systems, in that term they should be clocked at stock. OC systems are perfect for use with games and demanding "short peak" applications in which the hardware can get some rest between, that way its very safe to use.

Instability can even appear at low load, not only high load, its extremely hard to find any spot of possible instability. Its more a matter of skill than anything but only experienced people should deal with OC, so i generally wont recommend.[/spoiler-box]

Ark22
Apr 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Sounds OP and dangerous haha, thanks for telling me man =) much appreciated.

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 12:33 AM
I think I'll add a thread for general computing things like this, it's getting really off topic. Haha.

Xenobia
Apr 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
Kind of, but getting the feeling that most stuff already been said. Going sleep and maybe we see another bench. The data collection is however messy because people often do not tell us the exact settings and that bench is not normalized, totaly depends on setting.

Finalzone
Apr 11, 2012, 01:44 AM
How much was your rig?
Less than CAD 500.00. The mainboard just reached its third year with its max 8GB DDR2-RAM Corsair XMMS2.
The Geforce GTX 460 is CAD 184.00 tax included.

Finalzone
Apr 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
FYI your resolutions are different. You're running 1280x1024. Your friend is running something like 1600x900. He was also running FRPAS at the same time.

You are right. The Viewsonic VA902b monitor (nearly 4 years old) with VGA output is the bottleneck in that case because it cannot go higher than 1280x1024.

xBladeM6x
Apr 11, 2012, 03:53 AM
Comic I made on PSO2
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/Wbjdl.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Hahaha, nice one! ; D

Dinosaur
Apr 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
Comic I made on PSO2
[SPOILER-BOX]

- Powerful Computer
- GT 530

wat

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
wat

That 0012 is looking more and more feasible.

xBladeM6x
Apr 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
wat

That 0012 is looking more and more feasible.

Except for the fact that it can run TERA online and look like this:

[spoiler-box]
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/BIGOLAF/TERA38.png[/spoiler-box]

But hey, I suppose it's shitty if it can run a game that looks 4x better than PSO2 with no hiccups, while streaming in full HD. Yeah must be completely terrible. Also, the picture was a joke for the people who were actually having problems, that's not the actual score on that setup. The actual score is somewhere in the mid 10k's.

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
wat?

We weren't calling you out, we're just saying that a GT 530 is nowhere near part of a 'uber new and powerful computer'. It's an entry level oem graphics card, at best.

xBladeM6x
Apr 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
wat?

We weren't calling you out, we're just saying that a GT 530 is nowhere near part of a 'uber new and powerful computer'. It's an entry level oem graphics card, at best.
Sorry If I got a bit defensive. Just exhausted, and nit-picking makes me rage when I'm exhausted. Lol. ^^;

I am curious though, what is considered, the best of the best, top tier in your opinion. (Top 3)

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
Graphic cards? Radeon 6990, GTX 590 and GTX 680 would be the top tier. But the first two are dual GPU's which puts them ahead for that reason.

Dinosaur
Apr 11, 2012, 06:58 AM
The strongest GPUs are not opinionated.

1. GTX 680 ($500)
2. HD 6990 ($700)
3. GTX 590 ($800)

This is based off of single slot card performance. It is to note that two weaker cards running in tandem(crossfire/SLI) can easily reach the performance of the best single slot cards. For example, two 6850s that cost $140 each will perform just as well as these three single cards.

Fenn777
Apr 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
I downloaded the character creator and ran the benchmark, ans was able to score over 2100 on low with this setup:

Dell Inspiron Laptop
Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz
4GB DDR3-SDRAM
Intel HD Graphics

Granted, the graphics were on par if not slightly worse than PSO for Gamecube, but that doesn't matter to me; what matters is I'll be able to play the game. If my weak Dell laptop with integrated graphics can run it, most people shouldn't have any issues.

Kion
Apr 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
I got around 2000 with the game windowed in 480p, but when ever i go full screen i get around 840-range. Does the game force a full screen resolution?

Edit: Looks like by default the game only supports 720p and 1080p full screen (standard). I added in virtual full screen with 480p, detail 2 and anti-aliasing turned on. Got 1800. Not horrible considering the specs I'm running it on.

blazingsonic
Apr 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
I downloaded the character creator and ran the benchmark, ans was able to score over 2100 on low with this setup:

Dell Inspiron Laptop
Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz
4GB DDR3-SDRAM
Intel HD Graphics

Granted, the graphics were on par if not slightly worse than PSO for Gamecube, but that doesn't matter to me; what matters is I'll be able to play the game. If my weak Dell laptop with integrated graphics can run it, most people shouldn't have any issues.

I did the samething my jaw hit the floor when it started and played very well.
So basically that link with the Dell computer would be more than enough, it's good to know I may not need a power rig for PSO2, but I still want max settings.

Xenobia
Apr 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
I still have some question open i cant work out. I guess someone was writting some useful stuff but i kinda cant find it anymore. Im still trying to figure out how to have a real fullscreen. Right now the stuff is fake, i cant get it to work properly. I dunno whats wrong, any other game is working flawlessly for me regarding screen adjustment.

DreXxiN
Apr 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
Blade what server do you play Tera on buddy? :P.

Also, I got about 8k with everything on high and 20k on medium :D

LK1721
Apr 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
Went from a score of about 280-ish on maximum settings, upgraded the graphics card and ended up with this:
[spoiler-box]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8484/pso20120411180442001.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Quite pleased.

Crysteon
Apr 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Comic I made on PSO2
[SPOILER-BOX]

That awkward moment when someone faps while a title screen is loading : pokerface:

Jonth
Apr 11, 2012, 10:23 PM

I don't know Mitz from Adam. I could just tell from the giving you a mild insult and then following it with useful advice. I noticed someone posted the specs, but if that isn't enough info, check out the blog. It has some nice charts stating how each CPU and GPU did with the benchmark test.

Dinosaur
Apr 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
Some benchmarks I ran for reference on my secondary desktop. Here's a shitty iPhone pic of it, but you get the idea; big screen @ 1776x1000 resolution (graphic slider @ 2)

Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 940 @ 3.0 ghz (AM2+ socket)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/photo.jpg

With RADEON HD 4850
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/pso20120412_051549_000.jpg

With Nvidia 9800 GT (clock @ 550mhz)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/pso20120412_052228_000.jpg

With Nvidia 9800 GT (clock @ 625mhz)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/pso20120412_053356_000.jpg

And thus the 9800 stays in the computer.

Titan
Apr 12, 2012, 08:38 AM
Top has the shader on 5 and 1600x900
Bottom has the shader on 1 and 1280x720 :o :o :o

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/8C86n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Cxv7K.jpg

[/spoiler-box]

Skyly
Apr 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
I don't know Mitz from Adam. I could just tell from the giving you a mild insult and then following it with useful advice. I noticed someone posted the specs, but if that isn't enough info, check out the blog. It has some nice charts stating how each CPU and GPU did with the benchmark test.

Link?

Nurusanura
Apr 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
My computer runs FFXIV at high setting, so i'm sure it will run this game without any problems. lol

Penopata
Apr 13, 2012, 01:48 PM

This is IMO the best "budget build" in the topic so far.
As for the suggestions, an i3 is totally pointless, honestly, as it doesn't warrant enough of a speed increase from a G620 (which is already plenty for low-mid gaming). You're already future proof enough on that motherboard, so when the time comes where the G620 is too weak, you can pop in an i5 or i7 later for an easy upgrade. Instead of spending more on the i3, I would instead suggest upgrading to a 6850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374) or 6870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389). If you know how to shop around, a GTX460 that has a 256-bit bus would be the best for PSO2 in this price range compared to a 6850.

Likewise, if you already have a decent (SATA) HDD from an older PC (Pentium D era or newer most likely), you may be able to just plop it into the new one which can cut down the price a good amount here; along with that are ways you can cut down the cost of Windows 7, such as student discounts (check with your college's tech department) or friends with spare licenses or something. With an old HDD that may have 7 (or Vista) on it already trasferred to the new PC, you may not have to buy 7 again. That would lead to $175 that you can either use as saved money or spend on better parts, which makes a huge difference (final cost can come out to be around 350-400 depending on shipping)

This system is stupidly powerful for the price. :-P

Skyly
Apr 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
So the Intel Pentium G620 really isn't my much better than the Intel Core i3?

Jonth
Apr 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Link?

MAGICAL LINK COME FORTH!

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-benchmark-analysis/

I'm relatively new here, so if we are not allowed to link to outside sites (especially those that are of the same topic), someone please let me know so that I do not do it again.

Mag-X
Apr 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
So the Intel Pentium G620 really isn't my much better than the Intel Core i3?

I'd rather have the i3. The Pentium Dual Cores are slower i3s without hyper-threading. Basically, they're i3s that didn't pass the test.

Skyly
Apr 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'd rather have the i3. The Pentium Dual Cores are slower i3s without hyper-threading. Basically, they're i3s that didn't pass the test.

I see. What about i3 vs i5 along the lines of price vs performance

Penopata
Apr 13, 2012, 03:50 PM

That's exactly what makes the G620 so powerful; it is an i3 with (I admit quite a bit) lower clock speeds and no hyperthreading at little more than *half* the price. In games, the G620 definitely doesn't perform *half* of the level of the i3; in many games, the two will show very little difference, while in really demanding games the difference isn't nearly worth the price premium. Hyperthreading is also very situational; sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. HT doesn't help with games, at least. Even (and sometimes especially) in non-gaming rigs, the difference between an i3 and G620 isn't very noticeable. This is especially true with PSO2, as PSUblog's benchmark guide shows the game isn't very CPU reliant at all.

A G620 now is $50 saved for when you upgrade to an i5 or i7 (or maybe even Ivy Bridge) in the future when a better processor eventually becomes necessary to game well (and hopefully when said processors are cheaper too). Alternatively, that money can go to memory, GPU, etc. which are more likely to be a bottleneck on lower end systems, especially with how GPU focused PSO2 is.

Of course, if you can spring out money now, an unlocked i5 will easily have you set for years and renders most of this moot; then again, that's much more of an investment for much more return. For PSO2 however, even terrible old dual core Netbursts (Pentium D) can run the game 'playably'.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
If you're on a budget, go i3 (or even Sandy Bridge Pentium). If you've got the budget, throw in an i5. Get a K model if you don't mind some over clocking; don't spend the premium for a K model if you're not going to over clock. The i5 will be more "future-proof" (and the i3 more "future-proof" than the Pentium), but in terms of running PSO2, it won't make any difference -- unless you're going to have CPU intensive tasks running in the background while playing PSO2, like compiling code or something.

Mag-X
Apr 13, 2012, 05:16 PM

i7 = quad core, Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics
i5 = quad core, No Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics (an i5 is just an i7 without hyper-threading)
i3 = dual core, Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics (an i3 is an i7 cut in half)
Pentium Dual Core = dual core, no hyper-threading, HD Graphics, runs slower than i3
Celeron = dual core or single core, no hyper-threading, HD Graphics, runs slower than Pentium Dual Core

HD 3000 graphics come in K series processors, and mobile processors. Mobile i5s and some i7s are dual cores with hyper-threading.

i7s are a waste of money for gaming. An i3 is the best budget option because it'll get you similar performance as an i7 in most games. The i5 is the real sweet spot because you have a 2-3 cores for gaming, and 1-2 for the OS and anything else that might be running.

Pentium Dual Cores and Celerons are generally for office systems and PCs for your grandma, but they're surprisingly fast and will do on a budget.

Skyly
Apr 13, 2012, 05:39 PM
Quick question...

I ran the benchmark on my 13-in MacBook Pro
Intel Core i5-2415
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Windowed mode.

-----------------------------

Slider on level 5
Compressed textures
Simpler shaders

VS

Slider on level 1
Compressed textures
Simple shaders

Conclusion
I got around the same score of 58XX on both settings
I'm confused on the score

Ryudo
Apr 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
the slider is just a quick way of selecting texture and shader level, if you manually select the same shader and tecture level you're going to get the same result

Skyly
Apr 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Ok. Thanks

DeathDragon2332
Apr 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hmm I think I finally found a laptop that will run it nicely the problem is that it has the stupid dynamic amd graphics switch. And for some reason no matter what I do it will not switch from integrated to the Radeon 6650M 2GB that is in it. I know this because on the desktop I ran the CC on I got a score of 8200 and on this laptop on the same settings I get 7150 also this laptop is an i5 2.4ghz turbo boost up to 3Ghz and 4 gig ram the desk top was only Athlon x2 2.8Ghz 6 gig ram and Radeon hd 5450 1Gb. So this makes no sense. Also the ram was slower than the DDR3 in the laptop even tho there is more. Any ideas?

Akaimizu
Apr 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
This game is all about the graphics card and the speed of the card (less about it's amount of addressable ram). What is the graphics card in the desktop?
Also, take note, Laptops can run in various power modes. Make sure you are running it as balanced or better. Any of those settings to utilize lower-power draw will have the operating system regulate a lower speed for your graphics card. Sort of under clocking it to save power. Desktops aren't given that option, so they always run the card for performance.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
It's a Radeon HD 5450 which isn't that good of a card. I looked up the Benchmarks on the Radeon 6650M and it can run everything from Skyrim to Cod pretty well. In Cod on high at around 35-45 but the Radeon HD 5450 benchmarks were much worse.

Akaimizu
Apr 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
Ok. Anyway. Check your Laptop power-saving settings. That's usually the first place to check.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
I did everything is set to High-Performance. The thing is,is when I run the CC at the end it says HD intel family graphics or whatever it should say Radeon Hd 6650M. It just won't switch cards. I don't have the laptop with me right now. So I really can't do anything.

Mag-X
Apr 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
There should be an option in the BIOS to set switchable/Intel Only/Discrete Only

DeathDragon2332
Apr 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
I already looked as well. I think I saw a shared memory option. Couldnt I just go into the devices and disable the Integrated graphics so that the Radeon is the only one on?

Mag-X
Apr 13, 2012, 11:47 PM
A score of over 7000 is quite a bit higher than I was able to get with my laptop with Intel HD graphics. I'd bet the benchmark program is stupid and is just reporting the default GPU.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
Yeah but it was on 680x480 on 1 settings lmao. I should be able to get a much higher score than 7000 with those settings.

Crysteon
Apr 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Guess I'm ready for the beta

[spoiler-box]
Photobucket resize my pics...but I guess it doesnt matter at all..., lol.

Max settings: Hi-res Textures + Standard shading on fullscreen (1600x900 resolution)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/DPTastic/pso20120415_015941_000.jpg

Tried max resolution (1920 x 1200) also for the lulz
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/DPTastic/pso20120415_034716_002.jpg

[/spoiler-box]

Ithildin
Apr 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
I sat on a bench once.

Spellbinder
Apr 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
I sat on a bench once.

Did you leave a mark on said bench?

blazingsonic
Apr 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
i7 = quad core, Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics
i5 = quad core, No Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics (an i5 is just an i7 without hyper-threading)
i3 = dual core, Hyper-threading, HD 2000 Graphics (an i3 is an i7 cut in half)
Pentium Dual Core = dual core, no hyper-threading, HD Graphics, runs slower than i3
Celeron = dual core or single core, no hyper-threading, HD Graphics, runs slower than Pentium Dual Core

HD 3000 graphics come in K series processors, and mobile processors. Mobile i5s and some i7s are dual cores with hyper-threading.

i7s are a waste of money for gaming. An i3 is the best budget option because it'll get you similar performance as an i7 in most games. The i5 is the real sweet spot because you have a 2-3 cores for gaming, and 1-2 for the OS and anything else that might be running.

Pentium Dual Cores and Celerons are generally for office systems and PCs for your grandma, but they're surprisingly fast and will do on a budget.

i5 for me it is!

DeathDragon2332
Apr 15, 2012, 01:32 AM
i5 for me it is!

i5 is also Dual Core.

coomdoom
Apr 15, 2012, 06:25 AM
Here's my benchmark.

PC Specs

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.00GHz (Underclocked)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Resolution: 1280x720

[spoiler-box]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3459/pso20120415120752000.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Ezodagrom
Apr 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
i5 is also Dual Core.
That's only true for laptops, because the Core i5 2000 series for desktops are all quad-cores.

DeathDragon2332
Apr 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Yes I know. I just didn't post all that info lol. Just throwing that out there.

Mag-X
Apr 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
For those of you with decent desktop PCs burdened with shite video cards, the Radeon HD 7750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600286767%20600298541&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20) is a surprisingly powerful video card considering that it requires no extra power connectors (meaning it'll probably work with your crappy OEM power supply). It also looks like most of them on Newegg are coming with a free copy of Sonic Generations right now (For those who haven't played it, it's actually really good).

Note: These cards will not fit in those cute half width slim PCs.

Nuja
Apr 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi,

My laptop dualcore/hd5000 series/4go ddr win7 x64:
all low at non hd resolution: 2000

My Computer i7 [email protected]/gtx580/4go ddr win7 x64:
all max @1080p: 16622

Brimcon
Apr 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
Guess I'm ready for the beta

I'm actually surprised your not higher, we have very similar parts, but I guess OC and having just that next version higher helps a TON

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/9Js7r.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Still, I'm so ready for PSO2 its not even funny. Thats max settings fullscreen 1920x1080.

Then again, I built this thing around Skyrim, PSO2, Planetside 2, And anything else that dares come my way.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm probably gonna have to wait until I can get a new laptop (once i start working)
until I can play the real game but seeing that doubt there will be US version anytime soon I have plenty of time to work on that...

Edit: I would get a desktop but I'm mobile rather often on the regular whether it's going to the business center at the apartment, go to the library, over a friends house or even if I travel. So yea although a desktop is cheaper and easier to customize...laptop would suit me more....which is why imma get one of the Asus laptops i was looking at...(unless I find something equivalent that's cheaper) its 1,200 iirc...oh joy :o lol

kyuuketsuki
Apr 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
/agree with Mag-X

Great deal for $110-ish with a free Sonic Generations and very low power requirements.

goldwing
Apr 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Well im ashamed to say this but um well my score is *cough* 400*cough* with lvl 1 shader or whatever....

Clessy
Apr 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
1355 :(

core 2 duo 1.7ghz
335m 1gb version
8gb ddr3 ram
7200/ssd seagate momentus XT
Win 7

Crysteon
Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm actually surprised your not higher, we have very similar parts, but I guess OC and having just that next version higher helps a TON

[spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

Still, I'm so ready for PSO2 its not even funny. Thats max settings fullscreen 1920x1080.

Then again, I built this thing around Skyrim, PSO2, Planetside 2, And anything else that dares come my way.

As far as I know, the Ti version of 560 is way superior than the standard 560 D: . A friend of mine has a GTX 560 Ti also and he naturally got a higher score than me, lol. I tried to OC my 560 a little today and my score went up for like 600-700 pts, but my biggest worry about this benchmark is the temperature my GPU registers while executing it, that's why I reverted the OC for now. I guess I'm gonna keep it with standard frequences for this game, just to avoid overheating, lol.

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 12:29 AM

[spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

Are you running SLI? I have a similar single-card config. And get nowhere near that score.

Brimcon
Apr 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
Are you running SLI? I have a similar single-card config. And get nowhere near that score.

Single card config. 825 core 1650 shader 1950 memory. Also, i5 is set at 4200mhz Everything runs flawlessly here, I get like.. 200 fps most of the time, wish I could use Vsync and get some AA.

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Single card config. 825 core 1650 shader 1950 memory. Also, i5 is set at 4200mhz Everything runs flawlessly here, I get like.. 200 fps most of the time, wish I could use Vsync and get some AA.

Where do you set those settings? Nvidia's control panel doesn't let me do any of that :X (Built a PC just for this game, usually a mac guy) I have settings for graphics, memory, and processor clock... but that's it.

Brimcon
Apr 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Where do you set those settings? Nvidia's control panel doesn't let me do any of that :X (Built a PC just for this game, usually a mac guy) I have settings for graphics, memory, and processor clock... but that's it.

Get and use MSI Afterburner, as for the CPU setting, its done in BIOS.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 16, 2012, 01:28 AM
Something is fishy with the benchmark.

First off, the CPU overclock figures into this not at all, as it has been shown that there is no practical difference between even a Sandy Bridge Pentium and an i5/i7 as far as PSO2 is concerned.

And even with an overclocked 560ti, getting that high a score at 1080p and max settings is odd. I have an i5 and a 6950 2GB with a bit of an overclock and unlocked shaders (making it into essentially a lower clocked 6970). I'd fully expect to get lower benchmark scores than a 560ti, despite an unlocked 6950 being a stronger card, due to the nVidia-biased optimization the game has. But, at max settings and 1080p, I get a score of maybe 6000. That's too big a gap to be explained even with the nVidia bias. Something else is going on.

Brimcon
Apr 16, 2012, 01:41 AM
Something is fishy with the benchmark.

First off, the CPU overclock figures into this not at all, as it has been shown that there is no practical difference between even a Sandy Bridge Pentium and an i5/i7 as far as PSO2 is concerned.

And even with an overclocked 560ti, getting that high a score at 1080p and max settings is odd. I have an i5 and a 6950 2GB with a bit of an overclock and unlocked shaders (making it into essentially a lower clocked 6970). I'd fully expect to get lower benchmark scores than a 560ti, despite an unlocked 6950 being a stronger card, due to the nVidia-biased optimization the game has. But, at max settings and 1080p, I get a score of maybe 6000. That's too big a gap to be explained even with the nVidia bias. Something else is going on.

Your guess is as good as mine friend. Whats your FPS in the benchmark? Like I said before, rarely goes below 120~200. I think only ONCE does it go down into 60s, and its like.. an explosion scene.

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 03:10 AM
Your guess is as good as mine friend. Whats your FPS in the benchmark? Like I said before, rarely goes below 120~200. I think only ONCE does it go down into 60s, and its like.. an explosion scene.

Thanks for the tips! My score didn't shoot up to quite your levels, but TBH I think my mobo or processor is the bottleneck here, I have a first gen i5.

BUT! My score did go up substantially, from about 6500 - 7000 average to about 7900 - 8600 average.

EDIT: I think it's first-gen. It's a i5 660

kyuuketsuki
Apr 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry if I came off as accusatory or anything. I meant nothing against you, only the benchmark.

My FPS is 80-120, depending on the scene, with a dip to ~60 when the characters are piping in at the beginning. So I'm not concerned about my performance, it's more than adequate. Still, how you're getting such 120-200 FPS is beyond me.
Thanks for the tips! My score didn't shoot up to quite your levels, but TBH I think my mobo or processor is the bottleneck here, I have a first gen i5.
Even a first gen i5 is not going to be a bottleneck for PSO2. Motherboards have little or no effect on performance of the CPU/GPU subsystems, unless maybe you accidentally have your GPU on a 4x or lower PCIe link.

Brimcon
Apr 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry if I came off as accusatory or anything. I meant nothing against you, only the benchmark.

My FPS is 80-120, depending on the scene, with a dip to ~60 when the characters are piping in at the beginning. So I'm not concerned about my performance, it's more than adequate. Still, how you're getting such 120-200 FPS is beyond me.

It is quite alright! You didn't at all, I am just as curious why myself, you have the more powerful card here! I am glad you get to enjoy the game without issues, less stress that way, but it does bug me why the biasis so large.

Maybe RAM? though, i doubt it.

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
It is quite alright! You didn't at all, I am just as curious why myself, you have the more powerful card here! I am glad you get to enjoy the game without issues, less stress that way, but it does bug me why the biasis so large.

Maybe RAM? though, i doubt it.

Are you running in full screen?

And if so, what's your desktop resolution?

Brimcon
Apr 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Are you running in full screen?

And if so, what's your desktop resolution?

Fullscreen 1920x1080

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
Fullscreen 1920x1080

I got nothing then, that was the only thing I could account for that would give wonky numbers... since full screen adapts to windows resolution, not what you set in the windowed mode settings.

Pluupy
Apr 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
I was.

but, im trying to atone for my Sins.

by actually giveing out helpful Info.

Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful. I hereby revoke your Trolling Degree.
Son, I am disappoint.

Anyway, benchmarks...I ran several tests so I can be well aware of my limitations and how i am going to play this game. Final decisions on playing conditions bolded.

Laptop Specs:
[spoiler-box]
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i3-2330m DuelCore @ 2.2GHz
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
4gb RAM[/spoiler-box]

Laptop (window, all setting low): 2333
Laptop (window, all setting high): 413
Laptop (fullscreen, all setting low): 1015
Laptop (fullscreen, all setting high): 106

Desktop Specs:
[spoiler-box]
Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2GHz
16gb RAM[/spoiler-box]
Desktop (window, all setting low): 4456
Desktop (window, all setting high): 2765
Desktop (fullscreen, all setting low): 23156
Desktop (fullscreen, all setting high): 8651

How come on my desktop, fullscreen is better but on my laptop fullscreen is worse?

Clessy
Apr 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful. I hereby revoke your Trolling Degree.
Son, I am disappoint.

Anyway, benchmarks...I ran several tests so I can be well aware of my limitations and how i am going to play this game. Final decisions on playing conditions bolded.

Laptop Specs:
[spoiler-box]
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i3-2330m DuelCore @ 2.2GHz
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
4gb RAM[/spoiler-box]

Laptop (window, all setting low): 2333
Laptop (window, all setting high): 413
Laptop (fullscreen, all setting low): 1015
Laptop (fullscreen, all setting high): 106

Desktop Specs:
[spoiler-box]
Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2GHz
16gb RAM[/spoiler-box]
Desktop (window, all setting low): 4456
Desktop (window, all setting high): 2765
Desktop (fullscreen, all setting low): 23156
Desktop (fullscreen, all setting high): 8651

How come on my desktop, fullscreen is better but on my laptop fullscreen is worse?
Thats probably coming down to how nvidia gpus work vs ATI gpus.

Clessy
Apr 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8155/90027644.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3659/17625329.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7143/66289803.jpg

Changed some settings and it looks better and runs better now.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
So I mailed a pc store near by with the min specs for pso2 and asked then what I need to run this game full screen with max settings, Full HD 1920x1080 resolution and option for a 2nd monitor (will be used for things like firefox, msn, skype or whatever else and 1 screen to play PSO2 full screen in) etc and this is what I got:

Sharkoon Case MS140 € 39.95
Huntkey CP400HP ATX V2.3 400W PSU € 19.95
Motherboard Intel Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H € 89.95
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K € 229.95
CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 € 22.95
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LowP € 50.95
Crucial RealSSD m4 128GB SATA3 € 132.95
Western Digital 500GB S-ATA3 WD5000AZRX Green € 75.95
VGA MSI Geforce GTX560 1GB € 158.95
NEC Sony DVD+R/-R/RW AD-7280S S-ATA Black €24.95
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium NL OEM 64bit SP1 €109.95
10904 GData InternetSecurity 2012 NL 1PC OEM € 19.95

Total: €976,40

Thoughts? They said this should be (more then) enough to run the game.

For the dutch members (unless you fancy to use google translate :P) on here, the website where I went to: www.cdromland.nl

Mag-X
Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
So I mailed a pc store near by with the min specs for pso2 and asked then what I need to run this game full screen with max settings, Full HD 1920x1080 resolution and option for a 2nd monitor (will be used for things like firefox, msn, skype or whatever else and 1 screen to play PSO2 full screen in) etc and this is what I got:

Sharkoon Case MS140 € 39.95
Huntkey CP400HP ATX V2.3 400W PSU € 19.95
Motherboard Intel Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H € 89.95
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K € 229.95
CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 € 22.95
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LowP € 50.95
Crucial RealSSD m4 128GB SATA3 € 132.95
Western Digital 500GB S-ATA3 WD5000AZRX Green € 75.95
VGA MSI Geforce GTX560 1GB € 158.95
NEC Sony DVD+R/-R/RW AD-7280S S-ATA Black €24.95
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium NL OEM 64bit SP1 €109.95
10904 GData InternetSecurity 2012 NL 1PC OEM € 19.95

Total: €976,40

For the dutch members (unless you fancy to use google translate :P) on here, the website where I went to: www.cdromland.nl

Unless you plan on overclocking it, a K series processor and an after market cooler are not needed.

I've never heard of Huntkey, but 19.99 is super cheap for a power supply (and not in a good way). Don't cheap out on the power supply. A cheap one could fry your whole system.

The GTX 560 is a very capable video card, but the 560 Ti is the real sweet spot.

Otherwise, that's a very nice system that would easily run any game.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
That will be just fine for running PSO2 @ max @ 1080p. A couple things, though:

1) I'd get a cheaper CPU and go up on the GPU, although if your budget isn't limited I'd just go up on the GPU.

2) Don't waste $20 on that "internet security" software they're trying to sell you.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mag-x. Aye, like he said, the 560 is a capable card but if you have a good budget I'd go to a 560ti or Radeon 7850. And cheaper CPU and no aftermarket cooler unless you're actually going to over clock.

Misto
Apr 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
2) Don't waste $20 on that "internet security" software they're trying to sell you.

I second this, you can easily install any number of free AV's including Microsoft Security Essentials, avast, AVG, Avira, etc. And Windows 7 Firewall is more than sufficient and has improved greatly since it's XP days, so save some money by take this route.

LazyRob
Apr 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
Is there ANY chance of a single core processor running this game?
I know every single game in the past 2 years or so says a two core processor is the minimum. But honestly, I was able to run Skyrim on High (Thanks to my GPU), Deus Ex HR, and other games like those

Here are my specs
AMD Sempron 140 - 2.7ghz Overclocked to 3.4ghz
RAM - 2gigs (Not sure of the brand)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
500watt PSU

Yes yes I know the CPU (And to a lesser extent the ram) is a huge bottleneck with my current setup. But like I said, I Was able to run Skyrim on HIGH with at least 30 FPS but sometimes hitting up to 50-60. I could really care less about reaching 60 in this game, but if I could at least get a constant 25 with the lowest settings I'll be happy

*edit*
Wow, my account is this old and this is my first post? LOL

Misto
Apr 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Is there ANY chance of a single core processor running this game?
I know every single game in the past 2 years or so says a two core processor is the minimum. But honestly, I was able to run Skyrim on High (Thanks to my GPU), Deus Ex HR, and other games like those

Here are my specs
AMD Sempron 140 - 2.7ghz Overclocked to 3.4ghz
RAM - 2gigs (Not sure of the brand)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
500watt PSU

Yes yes I know the CPU (And to a lesser extent the ram) is a huge bottleneck with my current setup. But like I said, I Was able to run Skyrim on HIGH with at least 30 FPS but sometimes hitting up to 50-60. I could really care less about reaching 60 in this game, but if I could at least get a constant 25 with the lowest settings I'll be happy

*edit*
Wow, my account is this old and this is my first post? LOL

If you can run Skyrim on high, it's plausible. Won't know without trying though.

And me too, I joined back in 2005 and look how tiny my post count is.

LazyRob
Apr 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
If you can run Skyrim on high, it's plausible. Won't know without trying though.

And me too, I joined back in 2005 and look how tiny my post count is.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I did forget to add that I have run the benchmark when it came out. But it was embarrassing. I couldn't even hit "1" score". I didn't know if it was just because it was a cutscene, or if the benchmark was poorly optimized. So I just shrugged it off hoping that if I got accepted in to the beta it might work a little bit better to where it's playable.

I do have a quad core (Not sure if hyperthreaded) laptop available to me. But, it's a laptop that is 3-4 years old so I'm not sure what kind of integrated graphics it has, the keys are sticky and the screen is small, and there's no HDMI-out. Worst comes to worst I'll try playing on that but I'd much much rather play on my desktop.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
That will be just fine for running PSO2 @ max @ 1080p. A couple things, though:

1) I'd get a cheaper CPU and go up on the GPU, although if your budget isn't limited I'd just go up on the GPU.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mag-x. Aye, like he said, the 560 is a capable card but if you have a good budget I'd go to a 560ti or Radeon 7850. And cheaper CPU and no aftermarket cooler unless you're actually going to over clock.

Well im not limited yet on my budget so i knock off that virus scany thing (basicly i copy pasted from the mail) and can ask for a better graphics card. Which one you guys recomment? that 560ti? also isn't Radeon a ATI card? I heard alot of bad stories about ATI graphic cards.

Mag-X
Apr 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well im not limited yet on my budget so i knock off that virus scany thing (basicly i copy pasted from the mail) and can ask for a better graphics card. Which one you guys recomment? that 560ti? also isn't Radeon a ATI card? I heard alot of bad stories about ATI graphic cards.

ATI/AMD makes Radeon cards. And, no, there's nothing wrong with them.

Which video card I'd recommend depends on how much money you want to spend.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
^Arround 200 euros would get me a nice card I assume?

Well its a issue i got x.x i only know things from stories i hear, i got no clue on hardware and everyone has a diffrent opinion so i dont know which one will be best for me D;

kyuuketsuki
Apr 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
^Arround 200 euros would get me a nice card assume?
I don't know pricing for Europe, but at current rates 200 euros is about $260. For that, I'd definitely go with a Radeon 7850, hands-down no-questions-asked. Whatever stories you've heard about AMD cards having issues, they're crap. Like Mag-x said, there's nothing wrong with them. It's just fanboy stuff. I've been using a Radeon 6950 for quite a while and had zero issues.

lKeima
Apr 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
My PC specs are...

Windows 7 64 bit durrrr
Intel i5 2500k 3.40GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 2GB

Yuan_Ka-Fai
Apr 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
Hi, I'm new to this board. I'm considering about buying a new laptop to play this game. It has to be a laptop due to my constant traveling between places.

I was wondering if the following specs would run on PSO2 well:

7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 64-bit
Intel Core™ i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz1 with Intel Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz2
6GB RAM
NVIDIAฎ GeForce GT 540M

This is a Sony Laptop I would consider to order online (I've learned that laptops from retailers aren't the best the hard way), but I am completely open to any suggestions on brands of computers, graphics cards, processors, etc. that I would be looking for. Please remember that it has to be a laptop, not desktop.

Link: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666383996#specifications

Thanks!

moorebounce
Apr 21, 2012, 03:39 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. Those shaders are a bitch. I don't know if you can get 5000+ if you don't post your system specs. What are you getting now?

Either way: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

Man I purchased a (NEW) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti and the darn thing crashes on me while trying to play the beta and the character creator while running the benchmark. I updated the driver and my PSU is 500w when the minimum requirement is 400w and I can't seem to get it to stop crashing. I'm taking it back and picking up something else. I was in the Nvidia forums and they have a problem with crashing.

Clunker
Apr 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
Recently went to a local tech shop who also build-to-suit,
as long as they've access to the parts in shop.

Here's what I put together hoping for a 'overdoing by half' list;
let me know how it looks.

DIT Lightning (assembly and the non-priced parts below) $698.00
Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM
MS Office Home and Student OEM $109.99
AMD Bulldozer FX6100 14MB Cache $37.33
Kingston Valueram 4GB 240-PIN DDR3 1333
500GB WD SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM - 16MB
Sapphire 11201-0020G Radeon HD 7770 1GB $48.00
LG 24X +/- DVD-RW DL Securdisc SATA BLK
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970
Cougar RS-Series RS650 (650 Watts) Power Supply $30.00
Logitech wired MK200 Combo USB Set
Digital USB Multimedia Speaker Sonixer
All in 1 Internal Card Reader
Antec One Mid Tower Case
120mm Ball Bearing Fan FD12025B1L3/4 $9.99

It comes with two fans already, similar to the last item.
Total (with Tax) is: $998.64

Magitek_X
Apr 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hey guys, I need help again. I was gonna order this laptop here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158372

Unfortunately due to not getting paid on time and having to pay taxes, I could not buy it right away. Now that I have the money for it, it's no longer in stock.

I have an alternate store that does have it in stock, unfortunately it does not ship outside the continental USA. I was able to procure a shipping address within the US with my family but they then denied my credit card for the same reasons. Anybody care to give me some options on how to proceed?