PDA

View Full Version : JP PSU how do you type in japanese?

blackmajik2021
May 8, 2011, 11:50 PM
I know a little bit of Japanese but I cant figure out how to access the Japanese character sets from within the chat box in PSU. (what do I press after hitting the enter key?)

XbikXBd
May 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
I know a little bit of Japanese but I cant figure out how to access the Japanese character sets from within the chat box.

Once you finish installing the program, you'll need to set up your computer to recognize Japanese text and

The first step is to get your JP IME working. Visual Guide

Open up the Control Panel and select Regional/Language Options.
Select the "Keyboards and Languages" tab.
Click on the "Change Keyboard" button.
Click on the "Add..." button.
Scroll down until you find Japanese and enable it.

Here is a more comprehensive walkthrough for activating and using the JP IME.

The second step is to configure your browser to properly display Japanese websites. To do this, access Options through the Tools button on your web browser of choice.
http://psupedia.info/Joining_the_Japanese_Server

blackmajik2021
May 9, 2011, 12:10 AM
I know how to type japanese in firefox, word documents, etc. It's enabled on my computer, I just don't know what button to press inside of PSU to type in japanese.

I think in PSO it was something simple like the tab key, but I cant figure out how to do it in PSU.

I can see everyone's JP text just fine.

Nereid
May 9, 2011, 12:45 AM
Alt+`/~

Lucidia
May 9, 2011, 03:28 AM
Depending on your Windows version, the IME is set to different shortcuts.

For Vista (possibly 7 as well) it's alt+shift. That's what I have to use, at least.

blackmajik2021
May 9, 2011, 08:43 AM
IME is so confusing :{

on OSX I can make the shortcut anything I want, but I cant figure out how to do that in IME. alt-shift selects between English and JP modes, but I don't know how to select between the different JP modes (hira, kata, romaji, etc)
I tried all the shortcuts you listed, so it must be something else by default. I'm on win 7.

IME help says:

"Switch input mode Press CTRL + CONVERSION, then the N key"

what the heck is conversion?

or

"Switch between Romaji and Kana input ALT + HIRAGANA *

str898mustang
May 9, 2011, 09:17 AM
For me,
Ctrl + caps lock switches it to Hiragana and Alt+ Caps lock switch it to Katakana

blackmajik2021
May 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
For me,
Ctrl + caps lock switches it to Hiragana and Alt+ Caps lock switch it to Katakana

thanks!

Mystic_Nessly
May 9, 2011, 11:43 AM
I've been able to get shortcut combination to work (such as ALT+shift on Windows 7), but it does not default to Katakana, which is what this game uses for weapon names (it changes to Hiragana, which is what I don't want).

I show in the video how to input Japanese Katakana for Universe using the Language bar manually. I demonstrate this by searching for a shield in player shops. Let me know if you still need help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFbNEcxclQ

EDIT:
"Ctrl + caps lock switches it to Hiragana and Alt+ Caps lock switch it to Katakana."
Great. That works! Thanks!

blackmajik2021
May 9, 2011, 12:07 PM
yeah my main problem is with when I'm playing the game in fullscreen. I guess I'll just make do with hiragana for now