PDA

View Full Version : Rumble PSO: A game for casuals

W0LB0T
May 10, 2011, 12:43 AM
I mean look at this shit:
-Made for Consoles
-Regenerating health
-Auto aim.

Why do you casuals ever play this kids game.

Palle
May 10, 2011, 02:14 AM
...but it had the most supreme twitch controls, seeped in nuance that only the proest of bros could discern.

RenzokukenZ
May 10, 2011, 04:56 AM
Because Diablo 2 wasn't out yet.

PhotonDrop
May 10, 2011, 08:25 AM
-Regenerating health

I... wat?

Akaimizu
May 10, 2011, 12:37 PM
Actually, Diablo 2 came out 6 months prior. Still, it was the first major online console game that had servers meant to take hundreds if not thousands of players. With devices to allow people to communicate across language barriers, and even a major use of Beat time to synchronize plans for people living in different time zones.

Then again, it was still during a time where Japanese games around the similar genre were always more casual games than the Western equivalents. For which most of those were meant for a bit of a more hardcore crowd. Ones who can think out of a situation which wouldn't kill off your party within the first 30 minutes of play.

Of course, casual is relative. To others, the same game might be seen as nerdy technical action gaming for which I don't care for all those actions which aren't Jump, Run, Walk, and possibly shoot.

Nitro Vordex
May 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
srs bidnuss
trufax

Randomness
May 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
I... wat?

Casts had a slow HP regeneration. Same as newmans had slow TP regen.

Raikomaru
May 10, 2011, 03:27 PM
It's true. PSO is easy as shit.

SpikeOtacon
May 10, 2011, 04:03 PM
I await the eventual facebook game port.

PhotonDrop
May 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Casts had a slow HP regeneration. Same as newmans had slow TP regen.

Oh duh. That's what I get for not being a robot. :wacko:

Outrider
May 10, 2011, 05:10 PM

Now I really kind of want to design that just as a thought experiment.

TalHex
May 10, 2011, 06:13 PM
That would be a facebook game I would actually play

Randomness
May 10, 2011, 06:28 PM

It was really bad anyways.

Dhylec
May 10, 2011, 07:22 PM

good, if ya an afk bot

PhotonDrop
May 10, 2011, 08:09 PM

Hell, compared to Resta and Star Atomizers waiting around to regen is hardcore.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 11, 2011, 04:24 AM
Ginger test tube witches, made in the vein of Red Witch Rico.

Don't know about the "Klank Klank."

Space fatigue, marines?!

PhotonDrop
May 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Ginger test tube witches

I'mma cut you so bad you're gonna wish I didn't cut you so bad.

Akaimizu
May 11, 2011, 12:14 PM

Yeah, if Dragon Age wants to make every derivative in the world from its mythos, (like Facebook), can't see why not for Phantasy Star.

Though it seems like PSO Episode 3 would make the easiest initial system to make into a Facebook game (and maybe also a Mobile one). It requires a lot less thought in terms of how to translate the game into something that works. You can sum that game up into a Statistical game system. Though I would always think it would be too neat to somehow still manage to pull a system like that off and maintain co-op for up to 4 players. Though I could see a general copy of said system, first, just to get the foundation down.

I always liked the way it somehow managed to merge 2 entirely different CCG systems and yet diverge enough to have so much of that PSO atmosphere in it. Sadly, or fortunately, it's quite possible to still maintain the graphics PSO is known for, in one of those games. Mostly due to clever and well-placed image anims. Like anims to produce pulsating light work in traces in the walls, or wall panels that scroll between images (as seen in parts of the VR location in PSO Episode 2). All which could be done with strict HTML programming, javascript, etc. Would require a server if especially making it multiplayer. However, it could initally be written with nothing but web client code and cookies, just to get a working prototype.

Argh. Already thinking about the semantics. That's what you get for being a J2EE programmer.

Randomness
May 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah, if Dragon Age wants to make every derivative in the world from its mythos, (like Facebook), can't see why not for Phantasy Star.

Though it seems like PSO Episode 3 would make the easiest initial system to make into a Facebook game (and maybe also a Mobile one). It requires a lot less thought in terms of how to translate the game into something that works. You can sum that game up into a Statistical game system. Though I would always think it would be too neat to somehow still manage to pull a system like that off and maintain co-op for up to 4 players. Though I could see a general copy of said system, first, just to get the foundation down.

I always liked the way it somehow managed to merge 2 entirely different CCG systems and yet diverge enough to have so much of that PSO atmosphere in it. Sadly, or fortunately, it's quite possible to still maintain the graphics PSO is known for, in one of those games. Mostly due to clever and well-placed image anims. Like anims to produce pulsating light work in traces in the walls, or wall panels that scroll between images (as seen in parts of the VR location in PSO Episode 2). All which could be done with strict HTML programming, javascript, etc. Would require a server if especially making it multiplayer. However, it could initally be written with nothing but web client code and cookies, just to get a working prototype.

Argh. Already thinking about the semantics. That's what you get for being a J2EE programmer.

Flash would also be an option. HTML5 is supposed to be able to do a lot of what Flash can (so I've heard, I have little experience in web stuff).

Akaimizu
May 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Actually, Flash and HTML 5 would be an option. However, when I think of a game design to go on the web, particularly turn based, I think of how to do it with the least amount of resources first and then use extras (Like flash and HTML 5) as pure extras.

For me, the most important thing is to accomplish stuff like (Castle Age) on facebook, for an audience. Castle Age happens to be one of the most involved time-spender games on Facebook, having lots of layers of gaming within it, and even the ability to form alliances of many folks to take down a tough boss. Pretty much anybody (regarless of access to specific versions of Flash, or HTML 5) can play the game. If you got a web browser, there's no machine that can't play it.

Also, when putting the base code into something so easily transferrable, it's a no brainer to port and add hooks for nicer presentation models. It would make ports no brainers with short development time, and a lack of necessary testing time; because bug-testing the subsystem would amount to 90% of the testing, which you did on your first platform. The browser. Then you'd only have to fix little graphical hitches, for which it's all a case of proper positioning.

Outrider
May 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Honestly, drop in a simple Mafia Wars style questing system along with the general loot grind inherent to PSO, and then tie it into the usual bonuses for being social in these games and you have a winner.

Of course, even nicer would be if there were actually some gameplay within the app, but stupid simple sometimes wins out.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 11, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'mma cut you so bad you're gonna wish I didn't cut you so bad.
Whatever you do lowers your lifespan, maybe by tomorrow, maybe by a year.

Fishnets better be worn while you still can. :cactus:

PhotonDrop
May 11, 2011, 07:05 PM
Whatever you do lowers your lifespan, maybe by tomorrow, maybe by a year.

Fishnets better be worn while you still can. :cactus:

As long as you understand the severity of the cutting. :wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
Can't spell "PSO newman" without emo. STAG CUTLERY

Mixfortune
May 11, 2011, 07:55 PM
PSO,man

Nitro Vordex
May 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
Can't spell "PSO newman" without emo. STAG CUTLERY
Staged Cutting.

PhotonDrop
May 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
What do I look like? A Suicide Girl?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
Sounds too Black Paper for these forums.

But no, nobody knows what you look like, with or without the cutlery.

Nitro Vordex
May 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
What do I look like? A Suicide Girl?
God I hope you're classier than that.

PhotonDrop
May 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
I'm so classy I spontaneously combust at tea time.

Nitro Vordex
May 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
And you hold on to your teacup at the same time? I tip my hat to you.

PhotonDrop
May 12, 2011, 12:27 AM
Of course, it's only fire. Nothing I haven't seen before :wacko:

Outrider
May 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm so classy I spontaneously combust at tea time.

I hear they have medication to take care of that.

Randomness
May 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
I hear they have medication to take care of that.

Isn't it just an extra-large pot of tea to put the tea-fire out with?

ShinMaruku
May 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
Of course, it's only fire. Nothing I haven't seen before :wacko:

WITCHERY!

W0LB0T
May 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
WITCHERY!

ShinMaruku, Chesty Witch Patrol

Airalean
May 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
Isn't it just an extra-large pot of tea to put the tea-fire out with?
That never ends well.

http://i.min.us/inBva4.png

PhotonDrop
May 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
ShinMaruku, Chesty Witch Patrol

I am not a witch. :(

Randomness
May 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
That never ends well.

http://i.min.us/inBva4.png

That depends which side of the fourth wall you're on, doesn't it?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
I am not a witch. :(
According to his well known Ginger = Witch logic, you are.

Good thing he likes the western robo bro marines and D&D types, because check out that

http://www.bmecha.com/images/post/shin_getter/shin_getter_1.jpg http://www.bmecha.com/images/post/shin_getter/shin_getter_2.jpg

"SHIN GETTER"

http://www.bmecha.com/images/post/shin_getter/shin_getter_6.jpg
http://www.bmecha.com/images/post/shin_getter/shin_getter_5.jpg

Fear the real Shin Getter 1 by Fewture! (http://www.bmecha.com/mecha-robot-toy/fear-the-real-shin-getter-1-by-fewture/)

PhotonDrop
May 14, 2011, 02:34 AM
You must really love BMecha.com, repeating yourself 4 times like that. You must be one of them robosexuals!

Mixfortune
May 14, 2011, 02:58 AM
Hotlinks! Getch'yer hotlinks heah! Freeeesh hotlinks!

PhotonDrop
May 14, 2011, 03:05 AM
I'll take three!

Nitro Vordex
May 14, 2011, 03:17 AM
Can I get one with Adobe sauce?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 14, 2011, 05:23 PM
Shit is so cache.

Regular link sauce-age down there too. Plan ahead for different consumption, good thing too, lotsa imajpegrs to see that weren't chosen.

You must really love BMecha.com, repeating yourself 4 times like that. You must be one of them robosexuals!
See you like the Nei's claw, well why don'tchu marry it!

PhotonDrop
May 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
See you like the Nei's claw, well why don'tchu marry it!

Cuz the judge wouldn't let me.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 14, 2011, 08:50 PM
PSO2 Vegas Wedding Lobby Endless Weirdmare 1234.

PhotonDrop
May 14, 2011, 09:34 PM
Is that sometime Towards the Future or in the Respective Tomorrow?

Sord
May 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
Is that sometime Towards the Future or in the Respective Tomorrow?

Prospective world to come

Randomness
May 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Prospective world to come

Crimite Beast?

PhotonDrop
May 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
That ain't no Hank Williams song

Wyndham
May 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
Cheeeese-BAAAAALLL!