PDA

View Full Version : If SoA drops the ball on support again, will you put up with it?

Sord
May 12, 2011, 08:14 PM
As most people who played PSU know, we didn't exactly get the grandest treatment in the world from Sega of America. Several rollbacks at times, missed content, slow bug fixes, etc. Then trying to make up for it with 3 star luck allday everyday which would usually backfire and make the economy really wonky or people would just value rares less. Lot of people left the game for reasons like that. If Sega of America drops the ball again, how long will you push yourself through it? Will you bite the bullet and just keep goin in hopes of it getting better? So many strikes your out? Quit on the spot?

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
As long as I like the actual game...sadly I probably would.

I'm used to bad management with everygame I play...it doesn't bug me unless the game becomes unplayable.

Like logging in issues, billing stuff like error 65, an actual glitch that keeps dcing you after 2 minutes, or the game actually shutting down BECAUSE of the bad manage. That's when it's like "HURRY UP AND FIX IT, WHATS THE PROBLEM??"

Corey Blue
May 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
I don't care if it is PSO2,if this turns out like PSU I'm gone.Cant stand paying and then being neglected.

Vashyron
May 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
Should be added that it was more or less the same way in PSOBB. (Can't speak for past PSO's since I didn't play them online.)

In PSO2 if the server isn't global, I'm not even going to stick around to see what becomes of it and head straight to the JP servers.

SpikeOtacon
May 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
As soon as I see a divide in the JP/US I'm jumping ship. Not reliving that shit again.

RemiusTA
May 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
For about 4 months. And then i'd never touch it again, like PSU.

Palle
May 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Given the track record, it would take little for me to say, "to hell with it."

There still isn't enough information to elicit a desire to commit to this game, but a reveal of the (hopefully global) support structure will go a long way toward helping me decide.

Tyreek
May 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm basically on the fence between sticking it out, and saying bye bye. I told myself back when PSO2 received an announcement, that if they continue with their horrible support again, I will be done with the game. First with PSOBB, when we went well over almost half a year without anything, and the only newest thing recieved was "Black Paper's Deal" which the JP servers had AGES ago. I quit that game that October.

And then with the closure of the PC/PS2 server of PSU, after they were finished dicking us around after that Summer of no updates down to November. And then when they finally added that Electric Carnival and MAG2nd that held us back for so long, we finally thought they got their act together, only to be slapped with a closure notice. SEGA, you will not do that to me again.

Ranting aside, I'm with option 3.

Nitro Vordex
May 12, 2011, 11:24 PM
I can't really imagine this going correctly, because Sega. If they manage to keep it smooth for a while, then yes, I'll play. They start fuckin' up, I'm done. Don't need that abomination PSU was.

Eclypse
May 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
I tried getting into PSU, but just couldn't do it. If PSO 2 ends up being a great as PSO then I would deal with it because in all my years of gaming my greatest fun came while playing PSO.

Hentai_Kittie
May 13, 2011, 01:42 AM
I've never played PSU, but i know that support for PSP2 was crap. we got nothing, and i don't think we even had some type of active banning system (we needed it). I think i can deal with it though as long as there aren't anything as bad as the hecklers in PSO was... That is worser then any other neglect they can do to me. lol

blace
May 13, 2011, 01:50 AM
I kinda wish I was able to play PSO on GC online, but PSO:BB didn't do so well. Good thing for private servers.

ARASHIKAGE
May 13, 2011, 02:35 AM
It's like the old; "how to boil a frog alive trick". Many of us stuck with PSU hoping for the turn around because deep down we enjoyed the game, and we wanted to see the updates. I notice the warts on the poll reflects this "give Sonic Team another chance" idea. and another chance and another... And nobody smells the frog legs.

If it's not global I'll be on the JP site where the Japanese word for frog is "kaeru" which also means: change.

Want another frog pun? If PSO2 is not global the American servers will CROAK. :dead::-P

KodiaX987
May 13, 2011, 02:55 AM
>implying SoA ever held the ball

Hentai_Kittie
May 13, 2011, 02:58 AM
And nobody smells the frog legs.

Why just the frog legs? Wouldn't the whole thing smell? xp

As to why many people end up staying. I think it comes down to the fact that when you realize that the game is headed nowhere, you already spent hundreds of hours in the game. You've probably made 2+ characters, you probably sunk tons of hours gaining all this equipment and rares, and you probably have gained tons of friends and things to do. Then you get this mentality of "why stop now?"

And that's when the whole cycle begins! xp it's some kinda lame trap >.>

Like they dangle so many flies in front of your face, but they all taste bad.......... Oh.... we're done with the frog jokes? o.o

Tetsaru
May 13, 2011, 03:15 AM
I voted the third option in the poll, because really, it depends on a lot of things:

whether or not multiple regions or consoles (if any) are separated
the rate and quality of updates
use of a good mod team to settle player/technical issues
the presence or lack of features that are commonplace in other modern similar games, and how well they are implemented
the variety of things to do in the game
balancing of classes, races, weapon types, moves, etc.
the overall attitude of the online community
the in-game economy, how easy or difficult it is to obtain certain items or money depending on the area and difficulty
how well the game is programmed, and issues like glitches, collision detection and hitboxes, exploits, etc.
overall, whether or not the monthly subscription fees or DLC/add-ons/expansions (if any) are worth the fun and entertainment I get out of the game

Blueblur
May 13, 2011, 06:45 AM
As soon as I see a divide in the JP/US I'm jumping ship. Not reliving that shit again.

Same here.

str898mustang
May 13, 2011, 07:08 AM
Sega of Japan doesn't drop the ball

MadDogg
May 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
Nope, I'm done. I'm a veteran from the U.S. release of phantasy star online version 1, day 1, and I've stuck with the series ever since (which also means that I have gotten screwed, time and time again). Phantasy star online actually became my favorite game/series of all time, but just because I love the series doesn't mean I'm a sucker either. With that said, If I even as so much see that the release date for phantasy star online 2 is separate from the japanese version, I'm done (not even going to waste my time buying the game). For me at this point of time, the release date has to be international a.k.a. final fantasy 14 or bust.

Now even if they pull off the international release I'm hoping for, those servers better be linked. If they are separated, I'm not wasting my time with the game. Also, if sega were to use gameguard again for the PC version, I'm not wasting my time.

For me, this is sega's last chance. If they fail yet again for the umpteenth time, then I rather just play dungeon siege 3, diablo 3, torchlight 2, or that lord of the rings online rpg being made by snowblind studios that is coming out on the 360/PS3. I also don't consider importing a option, like I'm going to give these assholes any of my money =/

Akaimizu
May 13, 2011, 08:00 AM
Actually, PSP2 was among the BEST western support we ever got. And they didn't cut online play, while giving us nearly all the passcode unlocks (plus a few western-exclusive ones). Even got spanking awesome contest winner posters for our rooms. Alis Landale FTW. Sure, we have a few missing things, but they are at least just few. It's pretty much around PSZ as the Phantasy Stars with the least amount of content cut from the Japanese release.

Way different than PSU (though the 360 version is getting a bit more love), way more than PSP1 (which cut out a whole lot of the game and didn't give us ANY of the extra download missions, where at least PSP2 actually included a number of them right in the distribution), and way more than Any US release of PSO. The US Dreamcast versions definitely getting the most shafted in the deal. (Lest anybody remember the load of PSO content and mission releases the Japanese got, when we were stuck with "Letters from Lionel").

Still internet knowledge about the Eastern stuff was still in its infancy, so more people were less aware of the content favoritism back then, but there was a high degree of it.

Phantasy Star is Phantasy Star. Nobody else has successfully copied the cool Science-fiction fantasy mix up, like they did. They win by lack of competition in its unique angle.

However, like others said, competition is fierce. Even Star Trek online has developed to a pretty nice Science Fiction online game, with many facets and some pretty insane Blizzard-like developer support. Actually, they do one better by the frequency of announcements for cool new content, improvements, and events. I had my doubts at first, but they aren't bad. The only bad thing is you pay Blizzard prices per month for it. Still, they aren't slouching on delivery.

But it's hard to say. There have been competitive issues with SEGA's support on pay-to-play model Phantasy Stars. I generally have nothing but love for what they did on the Portables, though. Not that they are perfect or anything. But in terms of delivering Bang for the Buck, Sonic Team's portable releases seem to be in the highest regard. Heck, PSP2's Western content, for the one small price, reaches Diablo II levels and contains some of the most interesting multiplayer challenge missions I've seen. Not to mention special trade shops that increase in content with your character's level progression. The mission count, after you unlock everything, is pretty high. It's like PSU + AOTI's 4 or 5 year content in one UMD in about 1/17th the price.

Quite amazing to think I paid ST close to $680 for what I have of PSU today. Not a complaint, but something to think about. Puts one into perspective how much one can pay for one game in P2P services.

Uncle_bob
May 13, 2011, 08:32 AM
JP onry

CelestialBlade
May 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
My love for Phantasy Star is far greater than my dislike of Sega's support. I'm pretty well used to poor customer support and blatant JP server bias in online games nowadays, but I'm not letting it ruin what looks to be a really fun addition to the Phantasy Star world. I enjoyed PSU despite Sega's screw-ups, so whether the same problems as before prevail or not I'm still going to enjoy PSO2 as long as the game itself is good.

r00tabaga
May 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
I think this thread will be locked. It's just trying to stir people up. A blatant negative poll and the game isn't even close to being released yet. Not only that, but they might not even bring it West for us to complain about how bad the support is!

Just some random Friday thoughts.

Nitro Vordex
May 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think this thread will be locked. It's just trying to stir people up. A blatant negative poll and the game isn't even close to being released yet. Not only that, but they might not even bring it West for us to complain about how bad the support is!

Just some random Friday thoughts.

I don't think the poll is negative, as a matter of fact it's probably being generous to even put yes on there at the moment. They're trying to make a new Phantasy Star game when the last one failed miserably. To be fair, however, it only failed here. I guess in Japan PSU is still going strong. They may indeed not bring it stateside, no matter what everyone says, because of how SoA fucked everything up. Or maybe we'll be wrong, and they'll be on time for everything.

This topic is a fair topic, and the poll is fair as well.

r00tabaga
May 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
I was 1/2 tongue in cheek. To say PSU failed miserably here is an understatement.

Fossil
May 13, 2011, 04:17 PM
If after all this time Sega can't do something right for once and not make their customers relive the horrible days of GC online support with all of the corruption and duped items, etc then I will not hestitate to kick them to the curb. We don't pay a monthly fee for nothing. I think Sega just knows they can milk the cow so they charge us. Having seen other MMO's(like Guild Wars) succeed with no monthly fees makes me wonder about others who charge so much for so little.

Sayara
May 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
PSU as a game wasn't a true failure, its Online stuff was the downfall. I mean, dang psp1 and 2 are infintely more enjoyable as a 1p game in itself. The mechanics worked, the server stuff didn't.

I am hoping PSO2 wont follow ship though. I've been on this ship for like almost 8 years now. I'd like to see some success!

r00tabaga
May 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
PSU as a game wasn't a true failure, its Online stuff was the downfall. I mean, dang psp1 and 2 are infintely more enjoyable as a 1p game in itself. The mechanics worked, the server stuff didn't.

I am hoping PSO2 wont follow ship though. I've been on this ship for like almost 8 years now. I'd like to see some success!

It had some positives for sure BUT it was universally panned by every gaming site on Earth. I was more pumped than anybody for PSU (best teaser trailer EVER) but ultimately the game sucked. Blame the story...blame ps2 for holding it back..blame SEGA...and it failed to deliver online!

Aumi
May 13, 2011, 07:35 PM
At least we have one thing that might indicate that we'll get one global server:

http://www.pso-world.com/news/02318-more-pso2-details-translated-sega-teaser-video (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/../news/02318-more-pso2-details-translated-sega-teaser-video)

"Global support"

Corey Blue
May 13, 2011, 07:49 PM
There has been a number of hint's that we might get Global servers,and I personally don't know why that would even put that in the teaser trailer if it didn't mean that.(What else could it mean?) Oh and they said they wanted to get populated servers,and it's PC only,the trailer was in English,and my mind will be blown if they announce it.

Niloklives
May 13, 2011, 07:55 PM
That the game will be released world wide. Or that they intend to offer a more complete support package. remember it's engrish and japanese meanings don't always match up with the more american oriented implications.

I sincerely hope they mean global servers and full world wide support. but making assumptions like that is the kind of thing that breaks hearts.

Nitro Vordex
May 13, 2011, 08:13 PM
I sincerely hope they mean global servers and full world wide support. but making assumptions like that is the kind of thing that breaks hearts.
And necks. *cracks knuckles*

ShinMaruku
May 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
After people paid for PSO ep 1 and 2 access from the start to PSU they deserved the service they got. Japanese companies are slapdash on ANY online support. So it really depends on 3 things.
-Is Sonic Team making it alone (If so then HELL NO)
-Does the online actually have meaningful updates
-Free to play or nay

Keilyn
May 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
The answer is no. If Sega drops the ball in the Localized Version, I will arrange to play in the Japanese version and skip this version...

Not to mention the fact that in every version of Phantasy Star as an online game, The Japanese servers have started prior to the non-Japanese servers, BUT non-Japanese Servers have always closed down in a 3 - 4 year period, whereas the Japanese servers stay open for a much longer period of time with better update support.

RadiantLegend
May 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sadly untill they decide to kick me off their game. IE PSO/PSU

Syl
May 17, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'll put up with some of their small-time BS, but if it ever comes down to something really bad (like when I got mistakenly banned for half a year from PSU), then I won't... unless the game's omgamazing.

T4c
May 18, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'm used to bad management with everygame I play...it doesn't bug me unless the game becomes unplayable.

Like logging in issues, billing stuff like error 65, an actual glitch that keeps dcing you after 2 minutes, or the game actually shutting down BECAUSE of the bad manage. That's when it's like "HURRY UP AND FIX IT, WHATS THE PROBLEM??"

I know there are probs alot of wow haters on this site but Blizzard were so dam good with management! Sega should take a lesson from them imo...

Nitro Vordex
May 18, 2011, 02:44 AM
That's because Blizzard actually likes making money. Sega just kinda likes being there.

Akaimizu
May 18, 2011, 04:32 AM
Sort of. Actually, it wasn't just Blizzard. Nearly every company, on the PC, seems to put more effort into their game support than ST did on Phantasy Star Online games, on our side. Blizzard was just one. But we could pretty much count every game on ArenaNet, Dungeon Fighter, A plethora of even a number of F2P games across the Aeria divide. With the exception of a few games who already died on the PC platform, there's maybe only a small selection of more obscure games with the same or less support. And I'm talking about the Western support, too.

Still, Phantasy Star in itself rocks. If the games didn't have something unique about their play and handling, this could've died years ago. So in a way, they have this fantastic franchise, but I wont kid anyone on their method of being on the bottom of the heap when it comes to world-wide support. So of course, I want them to succeed, but I also know that the PC world is not going to be kind to them if they don't (for once) look at what the other online games are doing and make an effort to keep up.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2011, 04:53 AM
Don't those companies have a LOT more money than Sega of America has to spend on a tiny population game?

I don't wanna say SEGA has any excuse for the service they've given us. But I'm not sure it's not big news when an unpopular online game is horribly neglected.

Global servers or not. If this game is good enough to keep people around and hold a steady population, We'll probably have a higher priority than PSO or PSU to the point where we'll at least get acceptable service...

Weak community + Population = No money for SEGA = Low priority = Bad support. Besides a few people being unhappy with it not being PSO. The tiny amount of content and all that disc locked drama is probably what sodomized PSU's already split in half community at the start. The rest is a story about SEGA's series of sad screw up and a few hacker attacks that's already been told too many times. I dunno what happened with PSO.

and to add...

You'd think they'd seriously would have learned their lesson by now on security. With the Phantasy Star series having such a horrible history of being hacked into oblivion.

Niloklives
May 18, 2011, 05:09 AM
At the same time bad support = even smaller community = less money = dead game.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2011, 06:00 AM
Yeah, but in general, just saying even without global servers...as long as they fix their biggest mistakes that they met with PSU in the begining. As well as the game not sucking, it probably won't be as bad.

I doubt we'll get REALLY GOOD "OMG IS DISNEY SPONSORING THIS GAME?" WoW level support though. I bet we'd still be below average...but the way I see it with MMO's, below average support is like standard...

Akaimizu
May 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
Not for me. I haven't even stumbled onto MMOs with support like SEGAs. And some of these companies are basically starter companies. Compared to them, SEGA is actually pretty big. So no, SEGA doesn't even have the small company small money excuse. Not on the PC. Like I said, they have to step up. My whole reason of my last post was to talk about companies with no known big money to them way outside of folks like Blizzard.

They first thought about putting together a solid game with solid support, then had the players come. It never works the opposite way. If it did, we'd still have games like Tabula Rasa. To survive. They need the population of a larger fanbase than ones on pso-world.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
No, I've played games with support worse than SEGAs...

Yes, SEGAs support sucks.

But here's PSUs status: Not japanese, The game isn't popular at all in america, The community is tiny, Everyones annoyed and mad at SEGA, Hopeless content droughts, empty channels(universes), White beast.

This is pretty much all SEGAs fault, a little bit at a time, and I don't blame everyone's bitter victim skepticism. But I'm going to at least TRY to assume they won't screw up a clean slate for the third time.

But yeah, this is IF we don't get our "GLOBAL SUPPORT" worldwide servers. Otherwise we should be safe to avoid all BS and piggyback JP's probably nearly perfect support. Unless English speaking GMs...would have to go through a buttload of crap just to get SoJ GMs/Devs to fix something........

r00tabaga
May 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
There's no way I'm playing a Japanese version of PS ever again! It was hell trying to figure out what I just obtained or what a player was trying to ask me in PSPo2. Menu's weren't so bad due to people contributing translations but overall it was too tough. I'd rather have an English game with laim support over a Japanese game w/awesome support.

bns1991
May 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
I will deal with it because its pso and not psu. I couldn't do it with psu and I was done in a few months as a result.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
I hope you realize how absurd a statement that is.

You are basically saying that PSU would have been improved if they had changed nothing but the game's name.

Bayi
May 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
Sega's track record with PSO wasn't the greatest either, but PSO+ was definitely a step in the right direction. However, if SoA is the overviewer for PSO2 and they do happen to snuff the English/International community than to be honest with you, I would probably still take the abuse--but not for too long.

My main concerns however are rollbacks and not rectifying bugs with alacrity. FSOD/infinite mechgun; a lot of companies are bad enough for this (I'm looking at you Valve) yet others are very quick to shut down their servers as soon as the problem is discovered (if it's ripe enough for such abuse that would otherwise be irreparable to the economy/structure of the game without rolling back to Square One). Sega need to take this into account, but personally I think they're going to take PSO2 much seriously.

With the recent Ring Edge technology, mass publishing of games, acquiring of famous developers etc... It seems as if they're at least moving in a better direction as a whole.

PSO2 may have hope.