PDA

View Full Version : Would you like Weather effects to affect gameplay?

Strider_M
May 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
What I mean is... let's say in addition to your section ID, your type of character happens to "like" the rain and will perform better (read: Stat boost) in that climate than they would if it was just normal.

And they hate fog. So they would perform worse (Stat Down) in that climate.

Of course this would be random for every class / section ID with the normal climate being the neutral climate.

ALSO! Depending on the weather the likely hood of rares might drop or certain rares drop in different weather.

How would you like that? Or some combination of what I said?

I have my opinion on this but, I'll post that if this tread gets some attention.

SyianZi
May 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
I can see Sega doing something along those lines with weapons. Like, a rain stick with amplified stat boost when it rains and such lol.

CelestialBlade
May 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
If they did that I'd rather it be across the board personally. I think it would be cool if rain slowed your movement speed/jump distance, fog hampered your distance/lowered your Accuracy stat, etc. Enemy behavior changes in different weather types would be neat too.

Sord
May 16, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't really see a need for such an idea, but it's certainly an interesting one to entertain. If it was implemented though, I wouldn't want it to be made blatantly obvious, like they're saying all the info about it in tutorials and stuff. What I mean is, monsters wouldn't have debuff icons on them or anything, we'd just take notice they were easier to defeat at times or the AIs started actin different. We also wouldn't know right off the bat what drops better, would have to figure that out for ourselves, etc. Would come off as a more "natural" thing that way, I think.

ARASHIKAGE
May 16, 2011, 03:22 PM
If they did that I'd rather it be across the board personally. I think it would be cool if rain slowed your movement speed/jump distance, fog hampered your distance/lowered your Accuracy stat, etc. Enemy behavior changes in different weather types would be neat too.

I was just about to say that, and I agree.

It would be nice if the weather effected the occurrence of specific enemies too; frog-like, slug-like or duck-like creatures appear more in the rain. Or even rare enemies would have a high occurrence rate to appear, based on the weather. (This of course would also effect weapon drops)

I'm not sure how much I'd like the weather to effect my game play other than visual. It might be a better idea better than four levels of random luck days, based on race and sex though.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
No.

Section IDs are likely out, anyway.

joshboyd1209
May 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
Here's how I would like for it to effect our characters: when you create your character you fill out a survey telling what types of weather conditions you like and hate and to what degree and based off of your answers your character would be effected by the weather differently e.g. I say I like rain so I improve when it's raining.

SephirothXer0
May 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
The character thing is pretty lame, but I'd like to see different monsters and different behaviors for them based on the weather kind of like the newer Pokemon games

Malachite
May 16, 2011, 04:51 PM
I think it's a pretty cool idea, especially how it could effect rare drops. Having a higher chance of finding an ice based weapon while it's snowing, for example.

Little things like that really add to the depth of games.

r00tabaga
May 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna say maybe. Zonde would get help from heavy rain. Snow environments/Barta. Caves/Foie. I hope they're doing away w/ground based techs btw. I don't think they're really needed & were added to PSU just b/c it was in need of a 6th element.
Since the trailer came out I'm glad that this game is going away from the element based weapons of recent PS games.

NewWave
May 16, 2011, 05:04 PM
This would be amazing..... but considering it'd be a "first time thing" the effects would probably be broken or overdone or completely useless in my opinion. Depends on how they execute it

Sord
May 16, 2011, 05:48 PM
It would be nice if the weather effected the occurrence of specific enemies too; frog-like, slug-like or duck-like creatures appear more in the rain. Or even rare enemies would have a high occurrence rate to appear, based on the weather. (This of course would also effect weapon drops)

Actually I kinda like this idea better than every item across the board getting the treatment. It seems much more feasible and easy to balance than having to put modifiers on a whole slew of weapons, whether it be just elemental ones or all of them.

Might be cool to have certain weather effects with bosses, that while making the boss harder, would ultimately give us better drop rates on some special weapon drop of theirs. How random this should be I don't know though (or if it should be random at all, could also be selectable in the lobby when you choose the mission.)

CAMPSO
May 16, 2011, 06:00 PM
I could see weather changing the map. Kinda like in MH. Certain areas become blocked off and other areas become accessible that normally weren't. Maybe having a rare enemy or something in that area.

Niloklives
May 16, 2011, 06:06 PM
I was just about to say that, and I agree.

I'm not sure how much I'd like the weather to effect my game play other than visual. It might be a better idea better than four levels of random luck days, based on race and sex though.

I was toying with this idea as well. I think the fauna responding the weather is a great idea. Is it just me though or did other people start thinking of the Hunting Grounds in Chrono Trigger with the mention of rare monster appearance?

KodiaX987
May 16, 2011, 06:22 PM
Weather adversely affects everyone. I'm not here to play Olaf from Advance Wars.

Niloklives
May 16, 2011, 06:24 PM
I agree, no one should have some magical ability to ignore or benefit from snow and/or rain. that's ridiculous.

ARASHIKAGE
May 16, 2011, 09:42 PM
Is it just me though or did other people start thinking of the Hunting Grounds in Chrono Trigger with the mention of rare monster appearance?

I love Chrono Trigger but no... I was picturing rare Rappies color coded occording to the current weather effect.

Could you imagine getting ambushed by Frog from CT in the middle of a rain storm?

Someone had the idea of weather effecting Boss stats or abilities, what about just different Bosses?

RemiusTA
May 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
Should it affect specific characters? Hell no.

Should it affect drops and enemy spawns? Of course, why not.

They should even pull a Final Fantasy XII and have it alter the terrain of the levels. Heavy rains = flood areas and knock down trees for access to different paths. Sandstorms = cloud vision, restrict access to certian areas, and pile sand in places to allow access to new areas. FFXII also had the eeriely powerful Entite elementals come out during their respective element weather phenomenon.

We can jump now, and according to the trailer we're encouraged to do so...so the possibilities are now quite broad. It's all about how creative they get. (PSO EpIV had sandtraps and other environmental hazards. So im expecting cool stuff to happen on this game, Sonic Team.)

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 12:04 AM
I love Chrono Trigger but no... I was picturing rare Rappies color coded occording to the current weather effect.

Could you imagine getting ambushed by Frog from CT in the middle of a rain storm?

Someone had the idea of weather effecting Boss stats or abilities, what about just different Bosses?

Well i was thinking about how the Nu popped up when rain fell on the hunting ground

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
Arctic Planet Snowstorm:

Everyone moves 30% slower.

Casts without heating parts, have their computer brains freeze every 60 seconds stopping them in one place.

Fleshies without certain clothes lose 50% of their defense.

Enemies can throw snowballs that double the effects.

Everyone dies of frostbite/freezes over if the mission isn't completed in 10 minutes.

ENJOY!

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
Actually cold without moisture would make for super conductors, increasing cpu response >_>

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 01:18 AM
If only I could find that episode of dragon ball...where the robot plane pilot's insides freeze...

Palle
May 17, 2011, 01:29 AM
This is an interesting idea, though I suppose if not done delicately it would make things quite convoluted. Same could be said of many mechanics, I guess.

If weather were to affect gameplay, ideally for me this would be mostly atmospheric. For instance, a sudden deluge in the jungle reduces visibility and severely inhibits the players' ability to determine the species and number of incoming enemies, their direction, speed, and distance, etc. A sandstorm [or snowstorm] could do the same, with the added effect of making changes to desert [or tundra] terrain, burying item containers that would have otherwise had improved drop rates, or cutting off certain routes through the field. I'd like the sort of affects that force the players to act quickly, on the fly, make snap judgments, and change tactics... without the need for additional numbers games, status ailments, buffs/debuffs, and so forth.

Pipe dreamin', but yeah... I'd like what I just described.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 01:55 AM
This is an interesting idea, though I suppose if not done delicately it would make things quite convoluted. Same could be said of many mechanics, I guess.

If weather were to affect gameplay, ideally for me this would be mostly atmospheric. For instance, a sudden deluge in the jungle reduces visibility and severely inhibits the players' ability to determine the species and number of incoming enemies, their direction, speed, and distance, etc. A sandstorm [or snowstorm] could do the same, with the added effect of making changes to desert [or tundra] terrain, burying item containers that would have otherwise had improved drop rates, or cutting off certain routes through the field. I'd like the sort of affects that force the players to act quickly, on the fly, make snap judgments, and change tactics... without the need for additional numbers games, status ailments, buffs/debuffs, and so forth.

Pipe dreamin', but yeah... I'd like what I just described.

Joking aside I wouldn't mind it being like this.

But I'm getting the feeling they added weather effects just because of the few places with weather in PSO being part of people's nostalgia atmosphere. And with PSU everything just felt...like time stood still... So they just did it to add in the visual aspect to imrpove atmostphere and probably not much else.

I doubt they would do it. But It'd be cool if they added some kind of day and night system. especially if they're going out of their to make random weather.

Sord
May 17, 2011, 03:19 AM

It's a matter of immersion. It makes it look like it's there for reasons other than straight mechanics.

If we're gonna go that logic, how 'bout no weather at all and we just have game mutators selectable or randomized in lobby? Because that's essentially the same thing we're discussing, and it doesn't require any use of weather. Play with X penalty/alteration for Y outcome. You don't need weather for just about anything discussed here, but it's more fun to entertain the thought of weather excuses because weather is more immersive than flipping a switch and having everything changed for no given reason other than a switch flip.

moorebounce
May 17, 2011, 05:43 AM
It wouldn't bother me either way if it effected your ATA % during certain weather or not. Along with weather change I would love to see some sort of time of day lighting effects where we can play at night too. Maybe using the clock from your PC or the server to determine the time of day in game. You could have that effect your ATA % playing at night too.

xmoonprismpowerx
May 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
More like if it were raining your characters wouldn't run as far or be as accurate, considering for most people it would be a hinderance. But maybe other classes or races would perform better. That'd be cool

RemiusTA
May 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
IMO, Weather effects would be a great chance for Casts to shine with racial abilities.

Actually cold without moisture would make for super conductors, increasing cpu response >_>

Extreme cold with no moisture....yeah good luck lol

joshboyd1209
May 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
IMO, Weather effects would be a great chance for Casts to shine with racial abilities.

I know from first hand experience that it is possible to have cold with no moisture.

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 10:09 AM
I would love to see Big Olaf running around in a snow field in his bikini!

Randomness
May 17, 2011, 10:29 AM

Mercury, anybody?

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 01:40 PM

super conductors do exist and its not as though casts wouldn't have their components shielded from moisture....they can be submerged in water afterall. so they;s can be in the cold and be moisture free no problem. the cold doesn't have to be moisture free, just the components.

How do you think liquid cooling works? O_o

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 02:34 PM
/Wouldn't be surprised if CASTs could eat

Then again...if Monomates are anything like Calorie Mates... I'd have to assume so... '_';;

Hatrix
May 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
I think weather having any adverse effects would be lame, it would just be another thing in the game you would try to nullify in some way or another. Like wearing a posion resist in your armor slots, you'd have to wear an anti snow unit or somthing, I'd rather have my slots used for up-grading my mst, ata, speed, power and such. If different enemies appear or somthing I don't see a problem with that. In PSO it would rain in the forest somtimes just for a visual I think thats good enough honestly.

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
what if you couldn't nullify it though? the point is the weather changes within the mission, so it's not like you can just walk in and say "ok, in this mission it will be snowing, so I'll wear my long johns" Obviously it won't be snowing in a desert, but people aren't talking about some weird little status effect, they're talking about the stage itself changing, reducing viability and making certain paths inaccessible. It could be taken a step further inwhich case movement might be incumbered in an environment with snow or mud, but lets face it, sega wouldn't take it that far.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
How about we just have some cool visual effects instead of adding even more ways the RNG can screw you over?

Yeah, let's do that.

Parn
May 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
oh boy weather effects in an online game

sega sure knows how to redefine the genre

i cant wait for phantasy star online 3

"NOW FEATURING DAY/NIGHT CYCLES"

goty 2011 fo sho

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 06:42 PM

goty 2011 fo sho

I like you. You're funny. Would it kill them to just release another screen just for the sake of talking about something more tangible?

moorebounce
May 18, 2011, 07:30 PM

goty 2011 fo sho

People are just having fun speculating about the game and it's features and you have nothing better to do then make fun of it. Maybe you can figure out which is the worse of the two.

It's also funny how the weather can effect stuff in real life but people don't want it in their videogames. It's sort of like how the NFL chooses to play the Super bowl in warm weather cities or cold weather cities with domes unlike they did in the begining.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 18, 2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah man, how dare he make a joke! You tell him!

r00tabaga
May 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah man, how dare he make a joke! You tell him!

He's kinda right tho...people are just having fun with the "guessing game". No need to derail.........it was funny tho

KodiaX987
May 18, 2011, 08:32 PM
It's also funny how the weather can effect stuff in real life but people don't want it in their videogames. It's sort of like how the NFL chooses to play the Super bowl in warm weather cities or cold weather cities with domes unlike they did in the begining.

That would be because oftentimes good and bad weather have little incidence on you unless you are driving. On foot, you might be more likely to slip around when there's rain and ice and snow - but since in videogames you control where you want to go and not exactly how to move your feet, implementing an Aperture Science Random Slippage Generator is not worth the trouble.

People are going to great lengths to invent formulas that dictate what happens to the chestplate of androids when it rains at 7:00 PM on a full moon when in reality, weather is pretty much cosmetic when you look at it from a gaming standpoint.

Seth Astra
May 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
I would like to see weather affect gameplay somehow. Otherwise, it'd either look crappy, or be a big waste of time for them.

Sord
May 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
I would like to see weather affect gameplay somehow. Otherwise, it'd either look crappy, or be a big waste of time for them.

You wouldn't know how crappy it looked until it actually happened. Even if it were purely cosmetic, I'd still welcome random rain showers or storms (or certain missions always being rainy) just to mix up the weather. Not everything has to be bright shiny jungles/forests and rainbows. Depending on how lighting and crap is implemented along with it, it can change an aesthetic mood pretty effectively.

Honestly though I'm actually not suspecting any random weather, because half the time end game story missions wind up being in temples and ships and what have you. Some missions are just in buildings, places that have no weather to begin with. If Sega can't apply something to enough missions, I don't really see them putting much effort into it.

Zaix
May 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
I would like to see a random event that somehow involves a lightning strike.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2011, 02:01 PM
YOU MUST CATCH A LIGHTNING STRIKE WITH YOUR BAREHANDS, ONLY ONE CHANCE PER CHARACTER EVERY 6 MONTHS.

Unlock the title "GOD HAND"

Unlocks a badass fist/glove weapon with reasonable stats and a stun special effect; Tradeable since losers that'd have to trade won't get the badass title.

GreenThunder
May 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'd rather just stick to the weather effects just being cosmetic.

Though, if they were to have them affect gameplay, I'd expect both pros and cons to this, not just a one way deal that only gives you boosts and things of that nature. Having weather affect rare drops? No thank you, because that really wouldn't make a lick of sense, but that's just my opinion.

Honestly though, I'm just gonna stay with my idea of having 'em just be cosmetic changes.

Being serious about having them affect gameplay. IF they were to have them affect gameplay, I'd only expect terrain changes and other things, i.e stuff like increasing the difficulty of a certain area, certain breeds of enemies popping up and the like.

KodiaX987
May 19, 2011, 02:49 PM
http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/e/e1/Hard_Rain.jpg

AKA, how to do weather effects well.

r00tabaga
May 19, 2011, 03:53 PM
They are not changing gameplay due to weather. Is there even a game out that does implement this? Mobility, accuracy, etc.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
Pokemon.

r00tabaga
May 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
...ok, one for grown men? You just never really see it for anything but asthetics.

Dongra
May 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
Last time I checked, Pokemon was for all ages. Besides, it is a damn fine game.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Harvest moon and Zelda-wait PSO is only for grown men now?

Niloklives
May 19, 2011, 04:42 PM
They are not changing gameplay due to weather. Is there even a game out that does implement this? Mobility, accuracy, etc.

Valkryia Chronicles 2

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced wars and probably a LOT of other strategy and life simulator games...

r00tabaga
May 19, 2011, 04:50 PM
Was it gimmicky or did it enhance the experience? I wonder if weather variables would just get in the way of Pso2.
My guess is I'm the only one here who's never played pokemon. I'm old at 36!

Kylie
May 19, 2011, 04:53 PM
Would be nifty but not necessarily... necessary on my end. Such a system might be difficult to have, and I'd rather other elements be taken of before this.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
Theres actually some serious strategies based off of even commanding the weather in Pokemon...

Again though, Even I also still think they're only adding weather just to increase the atmosphere. Especially since Sakai is really into trying to bring us into this new universe/Galaxy, While also trying to hit a some PSO forest nostalgia. Or at least that was the plan when they put it in this HD PSO forest(an exaggeration, but still we all know what they were aiming at.)

But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if weather COULD mix into our interrupt events or something.

KodiaX987
May 19, 2011, 06:03 PM

L4D2 did it in the following manner:

In the Hard Rain campaign, the players do two levels in drizzling rain. In the third and fourth level, they come back the way they came - in a torrential downpour.
At times, a storm begins. Visibility is severely decreased. Noisy wind drowns out the noise from the environment and teamchat sounds quieter in comparison.
Some parts of the level become flooded, and a person who navigates through these areas does so at a slower pace. Zombies who go in flooded areas can put themselves out if they've been set on fire.

In the grand scheme of things, the players learn the level layout on the first go, and then use this knowledge to figure out how to navigate the way back. In the latter stage, they are encouraged to seek high ground and other forms of elevation

Niloklives
May 19, 2011, 06:35 PM
Was it gimmicky or did it enhance the experience? I wonder if weather variables would just get in the way of Pso2.
My guess is I'm the only one here who's never played pokemon. I'm old at 36!

I haven't played a pokemon game in nearly 10 years and the didn't have weather back in them days. Everything was cities and grassy knolls. imo VC2 did a fantastic job though. you had to plan out your actions to take advantage of the clear weather when you could or chose weapon types that were a lower damage AOE and try to play battleship. visibility was cut down significantly so you could barely see enemies and came under heavy fire if you wandered out too far. additionally you could outfit your tanks with extended radars to give yourself a small advantage, but in areas with sandstorms, tanks had poor mobility due to the sand, so you had to plan accordingly and find ways to use the weather to your advantage.

•Col•
May 19, 2011, 06:51 PM
The weather in Pokemon can actually get pretty deep, as it give multiple stat boosts/decreases, gives certain Pokemon additional abilities, and even completely changes the properties of many moves.

And just to throw another example out there... In Monther Hunter Tri, there are areas that are very hot and very cold. In hot weather your health slowly drains, and in cold weather your stamina recharges much slower. These effects could be nullified through either armor abilities or items.

Bayi
May 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
Most definitely! Changing routes, the accessibility of particular rooms, enemy appearance (certain enemies only appearing during particular conditions), hazards, slowing movement speed (mud), I think it would be cool.

But just not overdone.

Niloklives
May 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
The weather in Pokemon can actually get pretty deep, as it give multiple stat boosts/decreases, gives certain Pokemon additional abilities, and even completely changes the properties of many moves.

And just to throw another example out there... In Monther Hunter Tri, there are areas that are very hot and very cold. In hot weather your health slowly drains, and in cold weather your stamina recharges much slower. These effects could be nullified through either armor abilities or items.

That's actually just MH in general. and cold doesn't make your stamina recharge slower, it makes it so your max stamina decreases faster. there's a water type status effect that makes your stamina recharge slower, but the max stamina thing is much less annoying and I have to say the way MH does it is pretty gimmicky especially since its so easy to completely circumvent.

•Col•
May 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
That's actually just MH in general. and cold doesn't make your stamina recharge slower, it makes it so your max stamina decreases faster. there's a water type status effect that makes your stamina recharge slower, but the max stamina thing is much less annoying and I have to say the way MH does it is pretty gimmicky especially since its so easy to completely circumvent.

You love arguing about stuff that doesn't matter, don't you? >_>

Niloklives
May 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
Just pointing out facts.

yoshiblue
May 20, 2011, 10:01 AM
Yes you can get around it, but you can't get around it all at once. The game needs a Volcano going to a Tundra zone. Worst that could happen is lava showering in the air and taking massive health off you. Tundra would start to hail or blow in a storm and could drain stam or take health. Deserts can just have hard to walk in sand. Fight a monster in that!

sovalou
May 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
they could just add the simple weather effects from there valkyria chronicles series like the sandstorms hindering gun accuracy, night time effecting field of vision, etc.

heck just random weather in general would be nice even without special effects.

yoshiblue
May 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
I got carried away lol. But yes, random weather would be fine alone.

r00tabaga
May 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
The more I hear arguments for and against it, the more I think that weather should be just for aesthetics...which it prolly will be anyways. Just like how it was in PSO's forest.

EDIT: "Too many brush strokes can ruin a painting"

lostinseganet
May 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
I like the idea.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Not much point in dynamic weather changes if it's just visual.

r00tabaga
May 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
It's just a videogame dude. There's not much point in it anyways.

NoiseHERO
May 20, 2011, 12:16 PM

Depends on how far the weather system actually goes...

Will there be things like snow and sand storms...? Or are we just going to get simple atmospheric rain...

Know what? I'm tired of the word atmosphere. I'm gonna stop saying that.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 12:16 PM
Not much point in you buying a PC to play it...or posting then.

Get over yourself.

Depends on how far the weather system actually goes...

Will there be things like snow and sand storms...? Or are we just going to get simple atmospheric rain...

Know what? I'm tired of the word atmosphere. I'm gonna stop saying that.

except they made a big deal about it in the PV...I'm aware it could be something totally pointless but that's what I'm getting at. I'm hoping it's not just aesthetics because it's completely meaningless if its just a random shower for appearances.

joshboyd1209
May 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
Well what is the one thing that all video game series have been going for since the 1980's? They have all been trying to make it as real as possible weather effects would definetly make the game very real.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
Well what is the one thing that all video game series have been going for since the 1980's? They have all been trying to make it as real as possible weather effects would definetly make the game very real.

what the hell are you talking about? I just said if it is just for visuals there's no point - meaning it should affect the gameplay. that's MORE real!

NoiseHERO
May 20, 2011, 12:30 PM
I get what you're saying...But I dunno why I'm still stuck under the impression they were just trying to say "LOOK IT RAINS LIKE IN PSO FOREST!"

Whether it is just for visuals or not, if theres 7 planets I better be seeing some interesting ass weather.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
I get what you're saying...But I dunno why I'm still stuck under the impression they were just trying to say "LOOK IT RAINS LIKE IN PSO FOREST!"

Whether it is just for visuals or not, if theres 7 planets I better be seeing some interesting ass weather.

That would be horrible lol. That whole PV was like "we added jumping, cut-in events, brand new ways to attack...COME TO US" and then somewhere in there it's all "oh yeah and sometimes fake water will fall to give the appearance of rain" that's one step above forest 2

r00tabaga
May 20, 2011, 03:28 PM
I can think of 100 things I'd rather have than game-changing weather effects. I'm guessing most people are fine with just visual enhancements. Dynamic could just mean it rains outta nowhere...or light snow turns to heavy snow. I'm down w/that. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.

RemiusTA
May 20, 2011, 03:46 PM

Thats like saying there's no point in music if it's just audio. You can leave the music out because it has nothing to do with the gameplay, right? There's a very big point to it, it sets the atmosphere of the game.

Focusing on little details is how you make an exceptional game; hell, it's how you make an exceptional anything. Only focusing on specific qualities is how you end up with games like PSU and Final Fantasy XIII -- great, but FULL of wasted potential.

Kent
May 20, 2011, 03:48 PM
It kind of depends on how well it ties into the gameplay. Though I think weather can add a great deal to the atomosphere of a game, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it doing merely that, I think that there's potential for making it a gameplay variable that players really have to take into consideration that could make dealing with certain enemies harder or require more finesse.

So really, it depends on how it affects gameplay, to what extent, and whether or not it actually adds to the gameplay, or just needlessly complicates things.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thats like saying there's no point in music if it's just audio. You can leave the music out because it has nothing to do with the gameplay, right? There's a very big point to it, it sets the atmosphere of the game.

Focusing on little details is how you make an exceptional game; hell, it's how you make an exceptional anything. Only focusing on specific qualities is how you end up with games like PSU and Final Fantasy XIII -- great, but FULL of wasted potential.

If the music just changes at random with nothing behind it except a track change then it too is pointless.

Try keeping you examples in context if you wanna play that card.

MESeele
May 20, 2011, 05:30 PM

It is PSO. If they have difficulty levels, things could be made quite interesting. Could be a boss fight out in a field covered with giant shrooms. Get undercover to avoid the lightning rain! Get your Shock Resists on and your mates ready!

One of the random mission intrusions could be a ship/ junk/ whatever burning up in the atmosphere, making for ashen skies - like the aftermath of an eruption. Not every weather type needs to have an effect on gameplay.

A swamp could give off fumes that intoxicate the players. Throwing beer goggles on players makes for instant fun and hilarity for all ^^(if they do it right, if they do it wrong it would just be annoying as hell). There are so many ways they could go about it. Some monsters look like pretty girls while some beast players look like monsters. I'll leave it to those who've been drunk plastered to imagine what players' vision might end up looking like haha :lol:. Multiplying monsters, or twisting terrain. Fish eye, weird light refraction, blurred colour. Nothing annoying that makes players feel a loss of control though, so no random confusion or sleep or anything like that. Just an change in players' perception. Something that makes players burst out laughing from the crazyness rather than something that grates on their nerves. Like a joke that breaks the tension.

Purple Lamplight
May 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
I would love weather to effect the gameplay, like if they have elements in the game like PSU did rain could like decrease the effect of fire element weapons or fire techs. Rain could also increase the effect of water element weapons or ice techs.

Tetsaru
May 21, 2011, 02:13 AM
Here's what I'd like to see them do with weather effects:

First of all, the different types of weather: sunny, rain, fog, thunderstorm, blizzard, heat wave, sandstorm, flood, even crazy stuff like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. There could even other types of space-related natural phenomena, such as meteor showers, auroras, some sort of celestial body (moon, comet, asteroid, another planet, etc.) that becomes visible in the sky, or other more man-made things, like a chemical leak, or some sort of factory where the environment changes based on what it's doing... things like that.

Each weather effect would obviously cause different things to happen:

Sunny - normal conditions

Rain - minor changes, such as an increased chance of Kakwane monsters to appear, but might also lead into other, more profound weather effects, so if you see it raining, it might turn into a thunderstorm, tornado, etc.

Thunderstorm - like rain, but more intense. Random lightning strikes would occur, hitting either you, your party members, enemies, or even hitting tall structures like trees and knocking them down or setting them on fire to make terrain more difficult to navigate. Thunderstorms would also increase the effectiveness of lightning-based attacks, and may cause certain electrical or energy-based monsters to appear.

Tornado/hurricane - in very rare instances, this might occur during a thunderstorm. Heavy winds would push players around in different directions, and could also affect aerial combat and gun weapon accuracy. However, for those willing to tough it out, tornadoes/hurricanes could cause rare monsters to spawn (rappies that got caught in the storm, or perhaps something a lot stronger).

Flood - these would occur when rain or thunderstorms persist for long periods. Movement would be greatly inhibited (unless there was some sort of boat or hovercraft vehicle), and fish and/or amphibious monsters would be sure to appear. And although very unlikely, if swimming was somehow implemented, floods might offer access to otherwise inaccessible areas.

Fog - would probably occur randomly during early morning or late night hours, and would pretty much simply inhibit player vision to a certain extent.

Heat wave - would occur after long periods of sunny weather and lack of rain, or more commonly in certain locations where there is a hot climate. Players would become exhausted in some sort of way, perhaps through a slow HP drain or decreased movement speed. Mirages could probably also be implemented in some way (perhaps some sort of rare monster that may or may not be there when you approach it...?). Fire-based attacks would be stronger.

Sandstorm - would occur in desert or large beach-like areas. Like fog, vision would be limited, but players would also slowly take damage over time. Earth-based attacks would become stronger, and certain enemies (perhaps golems?) would spawn.

Snow/Blizzard - would obviously occur in cold climate areas. Players would be encouraged to constantly stay moving, or they could freeze. Ice-based attacks would become stronger, and certain monsters would spawn (something along the lines of those yeti-hildebear things from PSZ or something).

Aurora - a very rare phenomena that would most likely appear in icy areas, but perhaps in other places as well. Random images might fade in and out, similar to the heat wave, but may also lead to incredibly rare "alternate-dimension" areas similar to what I described in the random events thread. Light-based attacks would be enhanced.

Meteor Shower - another very rare occurrence like the aurora, but much more hectic. Meteors would randomly fall from the sky and hit things (similar to the lightning in thunderstorms), but would be much bigger and would leave behind various things. Players could break open the fallen meteorites to find rare materials and items, or possibly SEED-based enemies. Dark-type attacks would be enhanced.

nearby celestial object - most likely would be used as a herald to other random events. If you see a comet or other object soaring through the sky, expect something unusual to happen.

man-made events - not really weather, per se, but they could cause similar player interactions. Things like chemical spills, poison-filled rooms, etc. could be handled similar how PSO did with the purple fog that damaged you until you found the switch to turn it off. Other things could possibly be implemented into the actual level itself (pistons, conveyor belts, steam vents, etc.).

Time of day and days of the week would also go into effect, probably on an in-game clock of some sort.

Certain in-game NPC's could serve to provide a "weather broadcast" to help inform players of possible upcoming weather occurrences depending on the day and time in-game.

I spent waaaaay too much time on this post... @_@

NoiseHERO
May 21, 2011, 03:19 AM
If we're gonna talk about weather making things realistic...

I think a natural disaster is a fine excuse to abort a mission that's just running in to slay a bunch of monsters or look for a dragon.

Thinking about it, I wonder if that giant spider thing at the end was just a miniboss,

or if the bosses are actually going to be popping up in the field...

Alnet
May 21, 2011, 03:21 AM
I mainly see it as adding to or replacing area-specific traps, especially if the weather changes mid-mission as opposed to remaining static (but randomly generated) from the start. Like in the forest stage in the trailer, it was raining, so things could happen like a lightning strike could knock down trees and block off areas (or create hazards that could hurt/kill players that they can avoid and go around), or change up the enemy behavior like making certain creatures appear in larger groups as they try to move from one place to another as a pack.

I can't see it as beneficial to anyone, really. Like a snowfield stage on a mountainside could boost your Barta damage, but then what kind of creatures live there? Creatures that like ice. So that wouldn't do a whole lot to them. Plus if they use ice, and ice is boosted now, you're at a disadvantage.

I don't think that the weather should mess with your or the enemies' stats, since that could ruin some player's setups and make them useless, or conversely make the enemies way too easy to kill. For PSU players: remember when everyone was spamming the seabed laboratory mission? Remember when people quit the missions over and over and over until there was a map without Mizura? Imagine that garbage, but playing with the weather until suits your party. If weather is going to affect anything, it should be things that don't have hard stats, like movement speed, attack speed, jump height, and sight/lock distance. That way it's not as severe, and it coerces the players to employ decision-making skills and actual strategy rather than just switching up stat-modding items to make up for the change.

Tetsaru
May 21, 2011, 04:28 AM
I mainly see it as adding to or replacing area-specific traps, especially if the weather changes mid-mission as opposed to remaining static (but randomly generated) from the start. Like in the forest stage in the trailer, it was raining, so things could happen like a lightning strike could knock down trees and block off areas (or create hazards that could hurt/kill players that they can avoid and go around), or change up the enemy behavior like making certain creatures appear in larger groups as they try to move from one place to another as a pack.

I can't see it as beneficial to anyone, really. Like a snowfield stage on a mountainside could boost your Barta damage, but then what kind of creatures live there? Creatures that like ice. So that wouldn't do a whole lot to them. Plus if they use ice, and ice is boosted now, you're at a disadvantage.

I don't think that the weather should mess with your or the enemies' stats, since that could ruin some player's setups and make them useless, or conversely make the enemies way too easy to kill. For PSU players: remember when everyone was spamming the seabed laboratory mission? Remember when people quit the missions over and over and over until there was a map without Mizura? Imagine that garbage, but playing with the weather until suits your party. If weather is going to affect anything, it should be things that don't have hard stats, like movement speed, attack speed, jump height, and sight/lock distance. That way it's not as severe, and it coerces the players to employ decision-making skills and actual strategy rather than just switching up stat-modding items to make up for the change.

I can understand the weather element-boosting effects not doing very well against locally-spawning enemies of the same element... but what if we don't even use PSU's system of elemental weapons and elemental enemies? If they made it like PSO again, then the whole "elements" thing would be all on techs, and would hopefully give Forces more usefulness in being able to take advantage of enemy weaknesses other classes can't do as well, especially Casts, if they can't use techs. Given, even then, if there was a blizzard in effect, then it wouldn't make sense for a yeti monster to be weak to ice... but Rappies caught in the middle of the storm, though? That might be a different story. Of course, we still don't know how PSO2 will handle this, so I'll avoid trying to get into another stupid PSO vs. PSU argument.

And as for the whole ZOMGBEEMAPABORT crap on PSU... I didn't see the Mizuras as that much of a problem. Sure, they had a ton of evasion (*COUGH*justletatecherhitthem*COUGH*), and they were annoying (mostly the charge move they did that gave them frames of invulnerability was what pissed me off, and later on they still dropped useless item boards), but I didn't see them any more threatening than say, the Jarbas that spewed Megid and Dambarta, or the Gol Dovas that could just easily trample your ass from across the map (especially when they got out of their spawn range and started warping around) back then. People who whined about the bees (as well as those worm things on some of the Neudaiz and Moatoob levels that burrowed underground) being too hard/annoying were probably the same ones that influenced Sega to make AotI easy as fuck in comparison, when "version 1" PSU's difficulty level was probably right where it needed to be. Some enemies need to have some sort of strategic approach in order to take down (like PSO:BB's Satellite Lizards that are immune to gun damage), other than just constantly zerg-rushing them, and sometimes that means using your most accurate weapons/moves instead of your most powerful ones... or just getting your friends and party members to help you. :confused:

@Michaeru: I was hoping weather effects would be duration-based rather than instance-based, as in "from 2 PM to 2:30 PM, the Forest will be affected by a thunderstorm," except have an NPC tell you that with the equivalent in-game time, like how FF11 did. Things like that should be something for players to look forward to, imo - something they can't do by just spamming the same runs over and over. It would encourage people to play other missions (both in the sense of looking for something during those conditions, or simply avoiding them for the time being until later, as you said). Hell, in order to unlock Summoner in FF11, you had to find a gem, take it to a quest NPC, and then enter various areas while certain weather effects were going on in order to charge the crystal. Cool thing was, in the area that you finished the quest, a rainbow would appear in the sky for everyone to see, so if you ever went to La Theine Plateau and saw a rainbow, you'd know someone just unlocked Summoner. :)

Kent
May 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
A weather system that's on a per-area basis rather than a per-instance basis would be nice in giving everyone the feeling that they're really exploring the same general area, rather than a copy of the zones in a bubble.

I get the feeling it'd eventually be tied into a system for changing chances for particular rare drops or for meeting conditions to utilize certain items to generate a new weapon or something - something like an unequippable rare sword that you could only start using after you select the "use" command during a thunderstorm (which isn't too bad of an idea, actually, assuming areas have a fairly regular weather schedule) and similar things.

That's really an ancillary element of the game though. I don't know how I feel about having weather effects affecting more primary gameplay things (rainstorms increasing lightning damage done, etc.). It's a passable idea for an MMO, and it worked in Final Fantasy XI (if I remember correctly, elemental effects only varied +/-10% based on weather), but my primary concern would be the amount of finesse that really gets applied to it.

If they're rather small effects, or things other than absolute damage modifiers (that still don't take the forefront in outright changing the game for you), then it wouldn't be too bad, I suppose. Ideally, any given weather condition would have positives and negatives, as far as the player is concerned, they doesn't always work against them... Or, if it does work against them entirely, there could perhaps even be extra rewards for the player defeating enemies that are made harder by the resident weather conditions.

RemiusTA
May 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
If the music just changes at random with nothing behind it except a track change then it too is pointless.

Try keeping you examples in context if you wanna play that card.

It was in complete context. You just took what i said and applied an extreme slant to it...which is pretty childish. Why would I be implying music be added to the game that randomly changes, as if the sound designer didn't know what he was doing, Nilo?

What you're implying is that there is no reason for Weather effects if they dont directly affect your character. What you fail to understand, however, is that the player you are controlling is only fun to control if you, the player, is having fun doing it. A videogame, like any piece of art, is a sum of its parts -- you have the game you play (the battle engine), and the part of the game that plays you (art style, visuals, music). Can you think of any games that would not be half as popular as they were if something so simple as the color scheme, or a cartoon vs. realistic artstyle was applied, or vice versa? Of course you can. People say "graphics aren't everything, gameplay matters most", but that's pretty misleading; graphics matter just as much as anything else does. It should not, however, be a sole focal point.

And even still, what you said is, ironically, still in context. There are plenty of games that cycle the BGMs at random during gameplay -- ever heard of Jet Set Radio? Of course, it isn't completely random because the BGMs are actually a Radio Station...but it still applies....i think. Well, in context of that game it does.

tl;dr :
in context of PSO, no, weather effects do NOT have to directly influence gameplay in order for them to be a point of interest for the designers. My previous example (which was most definitely in context, thank you very much), where they decided to exclude the music because you are 100% capable of playing the game perfectly without it, still applies. And anyway, from a design standpoint, having weather effects directly affect your equipment and status effects isnt such a hot idea. Perhaps your field of vision, or altering the stage, drop rates and enemies, sure. But taking the Dungeons and Dragons approach to this...not the best of ideas, in my personal opinion. They'd be doing the same stupid shit they did with PSU and it's "SIX ELEMENTS TO CHOOSE FROM" thing.

Sord
May 21, 2011, 01:39 PM
More I think about it, the more I just like the idea of weather being an indicator of what's going to spawn and nothing else. Different weather brings out different stuff, etc, and just leave it at that. Sure there will be people that will only run things with certain weather, fine, let them. I'll just go play in another party or tell the person to get lost unless I to want that weather that bad.

Niloklives
May 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
It was in complete context. You just took what i said and applied an extreme slant to it...which is pretty childish. Why would I be implying music be added to the game that randomly changes, as if the sound designer didn't know what he was doing, Nilo?

What you're implying is that there is no reason for Weather effects if they dont directly affect your character. What you fail to understand, however, is that the player you are controlling is only fun to control if you, the player, is having fun doing it. A videogame, like any piece of art, is a sum of its parts -- you have the game you play (the battle engine), and the part of the game that plays you (art style, visuals, music). Can you think of any games that would not be half as popular as they were if something so simple as the color scheme, or a cartoon vs. realistic artstyle was applied, or vice versa? Of course you can. People say "graphics aren't everything, gameplay matters most", but that's pretty misleading; graphics matter just as much as anything else does. It should not, however, be a sole focal point.

And even still, what you said is, ironically, still in context. There are plenty of games that cycle the BGMs at random during gameplay -- ever heard of Jet Set Radio? Of course, it isn't completely random because the BGMs are actually a Radio Station...but it still applies....i think. Well, in context of that game it does.

tl;dr :
in context of PSO, no, weather effects do NOT have to directly influence gameplay in order for them to be a point of interest for the designers. My previous example (which was most definitely in context, thank you very much), where they decided to exclude the music because you are 100% capable of playing the game perfectly without it, still applies. And anyway, from a design standpoint, having weather effects directly affect your equipment and status effects isnt such a hot idea. Perhaps your field of vision, or altering the stage, drop rates and enemies, sure. But taking the Dungeons and Dragons approach to this...not the best of ideas, in my personal opinion. They'd be doing the same stupid shit they did with PSU and it's "SIX ELEMENTS TO CHOOSE FROM" thing.

I didn't put a slant on anything, I applied the same argument I made about weather to the music argument you made. randomized weather just done for the sake of appearances is pointless. randomized music just for the sake of a track change is pointless. I'm not saying things have to be extreme. I don't care if its as simple as the spawns changing, I just feel it should have SOME impact. You have a bad habit of making false assumptions about my position. I think you just like to argue with me.

Alnet
May 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
I can understand the weather element-boosting effects not doing very well against locally-spawning enemies of the same element... but what if we don't even use PSU's system of elemental weapons and elemental enemies? If they made it like PSO again, then the whole "elements" thing would be all on techs, and would hopefully give Forces more usefulness in being able to take advantage of enemy weaknesses other classes can't do as well, especially Casts, if they can't use techs. Given, even then, if there was a blizzard in effect, then it wouldn't make sense for a yeti monster to be weak to ice... but Rappies caught in the middle of the storm, though? That might be a different story. Of course, we still don't know how PSO2 will handle this, so I'll avoid trying to get into another stupid PSO vs. PSU argument.
Yeah, there is the matter of elements... but yeah, PSU-style enemy element types might not even come back. I suppose in that example, I was thinking of it more like a location that would likely have a lot of ice already, and you happen to be in a mission there while it's snowing. Weather effects can be really varied based on terrain, I guess, so it's not impossible for the Forest to be in a blizzard. Or a forest fire. Or a landslide. Hopefully if they're going to make weather affect the actual gameplay, they'll take this into consideration.

And as for the whole ZOMGBEEMAPABORT crap on PSU... I didn't see the Mizuras as that much of a problem. Sure, they had a ton of evasion (*COUGH*justletatecherhitthem*COUGH*), and they were annoying (mostly the charge move they did that gave them frames of invulnerability was what pissed me off, and later on they still dropped useless item boards), but I didn't see them any more threatening than say, the Jarbas that spewed Megid and Dambarta, or the Gol Dovas that could just easily trample your ass from across the map (especially when they got out of their spawn range and started warping around) back then. People who whined about the bees (as well as those worm things on some of the Neudaiz and Moatoob levels that burrowed underground) being too hard/annoying were probably the same ones that influenced Sega to make AotI easy as fuck in comparison, when "version 1" PSU's difficulty level was probably right where it needed to be. Some enemies need to have some sort of strategic approach in order to take down (like PSO:BB's Satellite Lizards that are immune to gun damage), other than just constantly zerg-rushing them, and sometimes that means using your most accurate weapons/moves instead of your most powerful ones... or just getting your friends and party members to help you. :confused:
Oh, I know about the Mizura. I was big on Forcing back in PSU, remember? :D I used Mizura to level my Megiverse to 21 (PS2 version, my PC couldn't run PSU back then, so the Mizura didn't move~) back in v1~ But even though Forces could rip through the OMFGBEEEEEEZZZZZZ with relative ease, that doesn't mean that people are gonna care. I guess that comment was more like a reminder that once people find an easy mode, they're gonna exploit it, which is why I would hate for weather effects to have a status bonus/decrease. I wasn't pointing that comment at anyone in particular, just the fact that a lot of people don't seem to like difficulty but then later complained that PSU became too easy. Like I said at the end of my post, I want the game to be challenging in a genuine way. I want to think when I play a game! I want to feel like I need to plan more for a big fight with more than just switching equipment. Satellite Lizard/Yowie is a decent example of that, because you can't suddenly Froozer or Spread Needle your way to victory (maybe Froozer, I dunno, but Spread Needle, definitely not). I want more need for planning and more need for cooperation. It's a team based game, so I want to have a team dynamic!

RemiusTA
May 21, 2011, 07:50 PM
I didn't put a slant on anything, I applied the same argument I made about weather to the music argument you made. randomized weather just done for the sake of appearances is pointless. randomized music just for the sake of a track change is pointless. I'm not saying things have to be extreme. I don't care if its as simple as the spawns changing, I just feel it should have SOME impact. You have a bad habit of making false assumptions about my position. I think you just like to argue with me.

Okay, look, you said "weather that doesn't affect gameplay is pointless", and I said "well in that case, music that doesn't affect gameplay should be equally pointless"...and unless you're playing a game where you have to react to the background music, it's the same situation.

I quoted you because by your logic, you're saying that if something doesn't directly affect the gameplay, it doesn't need to be in the game...which just is not the case with any good game ever. Don't know if thats what you MEANT, but thats what your post conveyed.

Were you trying to say music that randomly changes is the same as weather that randomly changes? If so, that argument doesn't fly very well -- weather always randomly changes. It's about the most random everyday phenomenon we encounter. Music is the opposite; it is tailored to fit specific situations...and putting it the wrong situation is usually a great way to alter the emotion of the scene (i.e. benny hill to a murder scene.) It is not the same situation.

Try keeping your examples in context if you wanna play that card.And that was insulting. If you want to avoid arguments, then instead of challenging the other persons intelligence, simply give your opinion on the matter in a way that shows you disagree with theirs. Essentially saying "next time, know what you're talking about" isn't a good way to avoid arguments, Nilo.

Strider_M
May 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Wow... Look at this...

Over 90 Posts since I started this thread and it has turned into a great thread!

I originially just wanted the weather changes to affect how your character moves or how lucky they are if they're in their favorite type of weather. But I read all about monster types that spawn in certain weather, areas that get blocked off, boss monsters that might appear, natural disasters, even a fully detailed scenarios for many different weather effects described by Tetsaru!

There's even an argument going on.

Nice ideas everyone! although I feel if it ever gets to the point to what Tetsaru has described, it would be in the later updates.

Also, even though it may seem pointless, the different weather might not affect gameplay. So I'm sorry if I raised your expectations for this game if weather doesn't affect gameplay how you imagined it!

Niloklives
May 22, 2011, 12:01 AM
Okay, look, you said "weather that doesn't affect gameplay is pointless", and I said "well in that case, music that doesn't affect gameplay should be equally pointless"...and unless you're playing a game where you have to react to the background music, it's the same situation.

I quoted you because by your logic, you're saying that if something doesn't directly affect the gameplay, it doesn't need to be in the game...which just is not the case with any good game ever. Don't know if thats what you MEANT, but thats what your post conveyed.

Were you trying to say music that randomly changes is the same as weather that randomly changes? If so, that argument doesn't fly very well -- weather always randomly changes. It's about the most random everyday phenomenon we encounter. Music is the opposite; it is tailored to fit specific situations...and putting it the wrong situation is usually a great way to alter the emotion of the scene (i.e. benny hill to a murder scene.) It is not the same situation.

And that was insulting. If you want to avoid arguments, then instead of challenging the other persons intelligence, simply give your opinion on the matter in a way that shows you disagree with theirs. Essentially saying "next time, know what you're talking about" isn't a good way to avoid arguments, Nilo.

Wow, ok so you really do just want to argue. Look, I've said it pretty clearly now and you still don't seem to get it, I was not challenging your intelligence, you're the one who doesn't understand and wouldn't keep arguing if you did unless it was for arguments sake.

Different weather in a game is one thing - that's to create ambiance just like music. Realistically if you want to talk about weather changing in real life, your argument still falls apart. In real life weather has effects on the environment; and hey - music doesn't magically just come from the walls to serenade you as you walk, so lets not go there. Having weather change randomly within a stage in an instanced action rpg is another thing entirely. A mission that lasts 20 minutes is no reason to have to give the players any sense of a passage of time so there's no reason to have rain randomly start falling in the middle of a mission. if they're going to insist on doing it, it has to serve a purpose or it's meaningless.

Anyway I'm done talking about this with you. I assumed you were smart enough to understand what i was saying which is why I assumed you had to be looking to argue, since no intelligent human being would find what I'm saying THAT difficult to grasp. So you tell me, Remius: are you trolling me or is your intelligence insult worthy?

RemiusTA
May 22, 2011, 02:21 AM
Wow, ok so you really do just want to argue. Look, I've said it pretty clearly now and you still don't seem to get it, I was not challenging your intelligence, you're the one who doesn't understand and wouldn't keep arguing if you did unless it was for arguments sake.

Different weather in a game is one thing - that's to create ambiance just like music. Realistically if you want to talk about weather changing in real life, your argument still falls apart. In real life weather has effects on the environment; and hey - music doesn't magically just come from the walls to serenade you as you walk, so lets not go there. Having weather change randomly within a stage in an instanced action rpg is another thing entirely. A mission that lasts 20 minutes is no reason to have to give the players any sense of a passage of time so there's no reason to have rain randomly start falling in the middle of a mission. if they're going to insist on doing it, it has to serve a purpose or it's meaningless.

Anyway I'm done talking about this with you. I assumed you were smart enough to understand what i was saying which is why I assumed you had to be looking to argue, since no intelligent human being would find what I'm saying THAT difficult to grasp. So you tell me, Remius: are you trolling me or is your intelligence insult worthy?

I was gonna type more, but i'll just delete the rest and get to the point.

What YOU'RE saying is that it needs to do something for the gameplay for it to not be pointless. I am simply saying that it does not. And to support my argument, I note that you listen to the BGM while playing the game, but it doesn't do shit for you in terms of gameplay. Therefore, there are obviously things that you can implement that DONT directly affect gameplay but can still be quite significant. Because what would PSO be without its soundtrack? One damn less awesome of a game, obviously. It doesn't fucking matter if it's instanced or not. Unless the game was being built around the weather effects, of course. How do you know they didn't simply intend for it to be a neat visual effect for an instanced dungeon RPG game?

Which brings me to this; you do realize that i was never saying the weather effects should have no effect on the environment, right? I was simply proving a point, you didn't even have to respond to it. The only reason i said it is because, by itself, your statement was pretty much saying "if it doesn't do anything for the gameplay then its useless"...which is not true. And although i quoted you, it really had nothing to do with you -- i was talking about videogames in general. But i GUESS i must have pissed you off in one way or another, since you had to stick that snide little reply in there.

And since we're OBVIOUSLY not on the same page in any kind of way, and since your logic is so irrefutable that i have to be either retarded or TROLLING you to not understand what the fuck you're talking about, i guess we can stop there.

not like A N Y of it matters anyway, because we have next to zero info on how the weather shit will even work. So yeah, im done with this.

Niloklives
May 22, 2011, 05:31 AM
So you overgeneralized my statement to argue with it. Got it.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
He's quoting Tropic Thunder.

^ Glad someone got it ^.-

Honestly, I don't really care either way if the weather affects the gameplay or not. If it does, I'd like it to be realativly passive (different creature spawns, maybe different areas unlock that kinda thing) but I'd be happy with it being like the music change going from battle situation to non-combat areas.

SStrikerR
May 22, 2011, 01:22 PM
I don't care if it does or not. I'm just in here for the entertainment factor.

Bayi
May 23, 2011, 12:50 AM
Not to be offtopic but is there really any point to arguing so aggressively about the weather? Virtual weather for that matter?

I don't know about anybody else, but I would be just as happy if the weather affects didn't do anything even if they weren't present in the game. The weather doesn't necessarily have to impact your character and the enemies as drastically as a lot of you are suggesting.

I mean, what do you want? For your character to take their shoes off when they step in a puddle of water in order to empty their footwear because it's bogged? Or randomly slipping on ice that's hidden under packed snow?

The weather can add to the atmosphere, it doesn't have to do anything besides that. Raising stats? Come on, people. Last time I went outside when it was sunny, I didn't feel 'boosted', I felt fatigue and wanted to go inside and get a drink and relax.

Oh wait! If you're playing on a sunny stage in PSO2 your character suffers from dehydration and begins to hallucinate! Give me a break; Gal De Val had weather effects (Gal Gryphon fight), the weather doesn't have to do anything but be there. It's nice to have something to make the game a bit more interesting to look at, even that is an improvement.

Otherwise, PSO2 may as well have PSO's engine and environments.

PSO had rain afterall; it didn't do anything, but it was nice to know Ragol at least had an ecosystem.

A visual effect is just as compelling as an actual physical one, maybe even more so because you aren't paying attention to the benefits or reductions as a result of the weather being active.

Sorry if I rambled; wasn't trying to get into or start an arguement.

KoalaKola
May 23, 2011, 01:12 AM
What I mean is... let's say in addition to your section ID, your type of character happens to "like" the rain and will perform better (read: Stat boost) in that climate than they would if it was just normal.

And they hate fog. So they would perform worse (Stat Down) in that climate.

Of course this would be random for every class / section ID with the normal climate being the neutral climate.

ALSO! Depending on the weather the likely hood of rares might drop or certain rares drop in different weather.

How would you like that? Or some combination of what I said?

I have my opinion on this but, I'll post that if this tread gets some attention.
Well being a fan of Touhou and playing Soku, I'd love for the weather effects (if any) to be too drastic, or damaging in a physical way.

Bolded Statement 1: That would be something to saidface over, even if we got stat boost in other weather.

Bolded Statement 2: If weather brought out different spawns (which it very well may) then I could see this happening.

All in all, I'd just rather the weather just be a scenery thing, with maybe an addition for a rare spawn if caught in it. But then again I wouldn't want to add weather hunting to a list of things keeping me from finding rare loots. :/ Oh and I can't debate soz if this sounded weird lol

Dongra
May 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
PSO had rain afterall
PSO's rain was stapled to the area you were in, it didn't have dynamic weather changes like the thread was suggesting. Though I'm not complaining if the weather changes are just for aesthetics.

Niloklives
May 23, 2011, 02:19 AM
Not to be offtopic but is there really any point to arguing so aggressively about the weather? Virtual weather for that matter?

I don't know about anybody else, but I would be just as happy if the weather affects didn't do anything even if they weren't present in the game. The weather doesn't necessarily have to impact your character and the enemies as drastically as a lot of you are suggesting.

I mean, what do you want? For your character to take their shoes off when they step in a puddle of water in order to empty their footwear because it's bogged? Or randomly slipping on ice that's hidden under packed snow?

The weather can add to the atmosphere, it doesn't have to do anything besides that. Raising stats? Come on, people. Last time I went outside when it was sunny, I didn't feel 'boosted', I felt fatigue and wanted to go inside and get a drink and relax.

Oh wait! If you're playing on a sunny stage in PSO2 your character suffers from dehydration and begins to hallucinate! Give me a break; Gal De Val had weather effects (Gal Gryphon fight), the weather doesn't have to do anything but be there. It's nice to have something to make the game a bit more interesting to look at, even that is an improvement.

Otherwise, PSO2 may as well have PSO's engine and environments.

PSO had rain afterall; it didn't do anything, but it was nice to know Ragol at least had an ecosystem.

A visual effect is just as compelling as an actual physical one, maybe even more so because you aren't paying attention to the benefits or reductions as a result of the weather being active.

Sorry if I rambled; wasn't trying to get into or start an arguement.

You're missing the entire point. no one here is talking about the game having stages with different weather conditions than the next. we're talking about randomized weather which is what sega is talking about. whats the point in changing the weather within a single stage through the course of the stage with a RNG if it doesn't do anything other than show you rain instead of a sun when you're only in the mission for 20 minutes at most?

it's pointless.

you wanna talk about a stage having thunder in it or another having rain? w/e that's atmosphere. But when it's changing for no apparent reason but just to say "yeah we can do it" it's pointless and should serve a purpose. i swear you just sound like you want to argue without really understanding what the feature being discussed actually is.

Dongra
May 23, 2011, 02:22 AM
mission for 20 minutes at most?
Mind you, we have no idea how long it can take to finish an area, quest, mission, etc in PSO2.

Niloklives
May 23, 2011, 05:12 AM
This is true, but most instance based games are 5-20 minute missions. unless they change the formula drastically, 20 minutes is being fairly generous.

Zaix
May 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
IF they do PSO length missions, they could wind up taking a while at times.

Niloklives
May 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
only if you solo. if I duoed with any of my friends (its a multi player game) then no, 30 minutes would be stretching it. if you run as a group of 4, the missions would barely last 15 minutes if you were under leveled. I dont know how anyone can say the missions in PSU were lengthy.

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
Depends on the mission for PSU... but a lot of the lengthy missions were nerfed at some point.

Bayi
May 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
You're missing the entire point. no one here is talking about the game having stages with different weather conditions than the next. we're talking about randomized weather which is what sega is talking about. whats the point in changing the weather within a single stage through the course of the stage with a RNG if it doesn't do anything other than show you rain instead of a sun when you're only in the mission for 20 minutes at most?

it's pointless.

you wanna talk about a stage having thunder in it or another having rain? w/e that's atmosphere. But when it's changing for no apparent reason but just to say "yeah we can do it" it's pointless and should serve a purpose. i swear you just sound like you want to argue without really understanding what the feature being discussed actually is.

I do understand what is being discussed and as I stated I clearly did *not* want to argue, but games with dynamic weather (Grand Theft Auto) doesn't really do anything outside of aesthetics. Hence why I used PSO as an example; the set weather didn't do anything, it was just there. It seemed as if the previous arguement was completely centered around the basis of the weather having a purpose outside of eye-candy or actively doing things to penalise you're character--you need to realise that if someone says they didn't have any intention to argue if they stated they didn't, than they didn't--otherwise it looks like you're the one who wants to argue, just saying.

As I said earlier, it would be nice regardless of weather or not it does anything besides just changing up the appearance of a stage, I think the feature is relatively cool. Altering the spawns or having a certain rare enemy appearance makes the most sense to me (as many have already stated) but we don't know yet =P.

Another thing to consider is indoor environments and whether or not the weather outside will be capable of changing anything going on inside (knocking out the power, shattering windows and allowing airborne enemies to fly into the room).

r00tabaga
May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
Nobody knows what the Dynamic Weather feature really is yet, so there's no need to argue about it. Nilok says it should serve a purpose and that's fine, it's his opinion. Others say it should be for aestheics and I'm more of that opinion. It's hard for me to know what kind of game changing ability it could have since none of the games I play do this.......maybe Madden??? People have said Pokemon has a great system so we'll see.

Milla
May 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
Apart from Stat changes i really cant see how weather will affect gameplay. Maybe characters could trip over in the rain? Naaa I don't think Masahiro Sakurai is involved in the development Lol (cookie if anyone gets the reference). I dunno maybe certain areas will open up under different weather conditions, or attack speed would be slower in snow? Guess we are gonna have to wait and see.

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
Smash bros brawl tripping was awesome, u tourneyfags are weak!

and anyhow if you look at it... rain doesn't seem to do much..........of anything. So if weather is going going to do something I don't think it'll punch us in the face.

Milla
May 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
Smash bros brawl tripping was awesome, u tourneyfags are weak!

and anyhow if you look at it... rain doesn't seem to do much..........of anything. So if weather is going going to do something I don't think it'll punch us in the face.

Fox only final destination no items! Lol I owe you a cookie my good sir.

Mikura
May 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
Skipped to the last page so I'm probably being redundant by saying this but....The only thing I can realistically see ST implementing in the game that would be determined by weather is certain rare mobs spawning, specific weapons and armor being augmented depending on weather, and maybe elemental spells being enhanced if the weather matches the spell (Like Foie during a heatwave for example), similar to what they did in FFXI.

As for the having decreased accuracy during fog weather or decreased movement speed in the snow? While they're good ideas that would enhance the game, I doubt ST would be arsed to take it that far. And to be completely honest, after it's all said and done, most likely the weather changes in the game will be nothing more than for aesthetics.

Niloklives
May 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
I do understand what is being discussed and as I stated I clearly did *not* want to argue, but games with dynamic weather (Grand Theft Auto) doesn't really do anything outside of aesthetics. Hence why I used PSO as an example; the set weather didn't do anything, it was just there. It seemed as if the previous arguement was completely centered around the basis of the weather having a purpose outside of eye-candy or actively doing things to penalise you're character--you need to realise that if someone says they didn't have any intention to argue if they stated they didn't, than they didn't--otherwise it looks like you're the one who wants to argue, just saying.

As I said earlier, it would be nice regardless of weather or not it does anything besides just changing up the appearance of a stage, I think the feature is relatively cool. Altering the spawns or having a certain rare enemy appearance makes the most sense to me (as many have already stated) but we don't know yet =P.

Another thing to consider is indoor environments and whether or not the weather outside will be capable of changing anything going on inside (knocking out the power, shattering windows and allowing airborne enemies to fly into the room).

Right - cause no one says things to be subversive, the entire world if full of honest people and no one ever has ill intentions. I see we're no longer on earth.

Just bare in mind this is an advertised feature. it makes little sense to advertise random weather in a trailer that talks about new game play features unless it has applications as well.

Anyway GTA is a bad example because GTA is not instanced. You spend almost the whole game on the streets so you need to see a passage of time to help draw you in. PSO2 if it's anything like it's predecessors has no need to give you a sense of a passage of time since you spend little time in any given mission. even the longest missions with someone who knew what they were doing took MAYBE 25 minutes. after the stages got nerfed it went to 15. Having it rain for 5 minutes for no reason in places like that is not to draw you in. Besides, after a week of playing you won't even notice anymore.

RemiusTA
May 23, 2011, 05:04 PM

it's pointless.

I still dont see why that's such a conflict with you....

r00tabaga
May 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
Advertised feature could just mean that we will have more than just sunny days. Dynamic to me means that it could just change randomly. I doubt it will mean people will slip in snow or casts will rust solid in the rain. <thinks of the Tin Man>. -lol

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
have more than just sunny days.l

Still want that day/night system...of course not that zelda 64 day and night system. Of course there has to be a different one for each planet. :0

r00tabaga
May 23, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah some planets should have quicker day/night cycles. That'd be really cool. Isn't like a day longer than a year on Mercury? Anyways, a 20 min mission with 4 day/nite changes would be interesting "monster-wise" too!

•Col•
May 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah some planets should have quicker day/night cycles. That'd be really cool. Isn't like a day longer than a year on Mercury? Anyways, a 20 min mission with 4 day/nite changes would be interesting "monster-wise" too!

I don't like this idea in the slightest.

Niloklives
May 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
Advertised feature could just mean that we will have more than just sunny days. Dynamic to me means that it could just change randomly. I doubt it will mean people will slip in snow or casts will rust solid in the rain. <thinks of the Tin Man>. -lol

I never said it had to be major, but it should be more than just aesthetics if they're advertising it. Changes in the enemy spawns would be plenty.

NoiseHERO
May 23, 2011, 10:56 PM
I don't like this idea in the slightest.

day night system: yes

Day/Night jumping around mid mission... Noooo.... Which is what I meant by us NOT getting the zelda 64 day/night system.

•Col•
May 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
day night system: yes

Day/Night jumping around mid mission... Noooo.... Which is what I meant by us NOT getting the zelda 64 day/night system.

Yeah, I'd be cool with a day/night system... But I do NOT want it happening several times mid-mission... That just totally breaks the immersion.

If they were going to do it, I'd prefer that it was a universal, server-side thing. So depending on what time of the day you start the mission, it would change the scenery in the game... So for instance, every 2 hours irl could be an entire day cycle in the game.

RemiusTA
May 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Smash bros brawl tripping was awesome, u tourneyfags are weak!Brawl was absolute garbage. That game was a steaming pile of sewage compared to Melee. It's fun if you want to watch stuff get randomly blown across the screen.

They removed nearly EVERY decent gameplay mechanic from brawl. It was nothing but a cheep C-stick mashing projectile spamming game of luck and tag. I can't even stomach playing it anymore, unless im going to pick Pikachu and laugh as people wonder why on earth my downsmash has such insane priority and range. Or pick Metaknight, and have people wonder why i can hit them and they cant hit me back, because he's the only character on the game who can actually punish people.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I'd be cool with a day/night system... But I do NOT want it happening several times mid-mission... That just totally breaks the immersion.

If they were going to do it, I'd prefer that it was a universal, server-side thing. So depending on what time of the day you start the mission, it would change the scenery in the game... So for instance, every 2 hours irl could be an entire day cycle in the game.

So your taking a fictional game with fictional planets & saying that something that actually CAN happen, like a small world's rotation "breaks the immersion"? I liked the Zelda gradual day/night effects but it is just my opinion. I think it would be cool to see night creatures spawn right as the sun goes down. Oh well, it was just a thought

EDIT: A day on Jupiter, for instance, is only 9 1/2 hours long spinning at 28,000 MPH...if a smaller planet were to rotate that fast, well...

Zaix
May 24, 2011, 07:50 AM
EDIT: A day on Jupiter, for instance, is only 9 1/2 hours long spinning at 28,000 MPH...if a smaller planet were to rotate that fast, well...

Earth days would be less than an hour in that case... Yeah i could see some small planet going through a ton of day night cycles.

NoiseHERO
May 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
being day for 5 minutes? I don't see a real reason to shorten fictional time.

Sure we don't know the astrological setup of all the planets, but it's still make sense for them to have their own time sets.

Like if it's night in a lobby it'd be night in all the local missions. But if you're on a mission that's like the other side of the planet, maybe it'd be night or day.

I think it shouldn't have to be more complicated than a 24 hour system for each planet when it comes to balancing things that should be unrealistic and unrealistic.

Hell, if this game is global they could even give the other planets the timezones of different countries just for the hell of it. as long as america isn't the ugly desert planet...

•Col•
May 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
So your taking a fictional game with fictional planets & saying that something that actually CAN happen, like a small world's rotation "breaks the immersion"? I liked the Zelda gradual day/night effects but it is just my opinion. I think it would be cool to see night creatures spawn right as the sun goes down. Oh well, it was just a thought

LOL. Guess you don't know how planets work.

You said you wanted the day cycle it be a few minutes long, which means it'd have to be spinning more than a 100 times faster than Jupiter. And if it was small like you're suggesting, it'd have a much weaker gravitational force... You'd be flung off the planet. Actually, you wouldn't even be able to stand on it.

Also, just throwing this out there... Jupiter basically is just a ball of fucking gas. It works differently than how Earth does.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
LOL. Guess you don't know how planets work.

You said you wanted the day cycle it be a few minutes long, which means it'd have to be spinning more than a 100 times faster than Jupiter. And if it was small like you're suggesting, it'd have a much weaker gravitational force... You'd be flung off the planet. Actually, you wouldn't even be able to stand on it.

Also, just throwing this out there... Jupiter basically is just a ball of fucking gas. It works differently than how Earth does.

Actually, strictly speaking, the force of gravity is not changed by rotation. The weight of an object, which is the difference between the gravitational force on the object and the "centrifugal force" due to the rotation changes.

An object rotating at distance r and angular velocity ω feels a "centrifugal force" of mrω 2 (that is really the centripetal force necessary to keep the object in orbit). If the gravitational force is mg, there would be "zero gravity" when mrω 2 =mg or ω=g/r − − − √ .
So there! Gravity has nothing to do with a planet's rotation.

RemiusTA
May 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
Im pretty sure the only reason Jupiter spins that fast is because it's mass allows it to. I highly doubt a planet like earth could spin that fast.

And it really depends on how you ended up on the super fast planet. Like he says, rotation has nothing to do with gravity, so you'd still be falling at the constant speed towards the center. If you started off there, the rotation wouldn't bother you. I guess.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
True, and did you know that Jupiter has 3 different rotations because of it's mass (or lack of). Again, gravity has nothing to do with rotation. It is a fundamental force like electromagnetism and the two nuclear forces. However, because at the equator rotation produces a slight 'anti-gravity' effect making a 100 kilogram human slightly lighter by a few grams. Basically, if the Earth stopped rotating, objects would weigh exactly the same at all points on the Earth as you would calculate from only their gravitational forces alone. A 200-ton building at the equator weighs several pounds less than it would at the north pole.

RemiusTA
May 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
I think that has something to do with its centrifugal force counteracting gravity at its greatest on the equator. Makes sense if you think about it.

Edit: and i think you mean "density" instead of Mass. Jupiter is the most massive thing in the solar system, next to the sun. Since it's gas, im sure it's composed of really varied densities between its layers. Gas on the outside, and it probably has a liquid and solid layer closer to the core, due to pressure. Which would explain "3 rotations".

Im not really sure though, u might wanna google that :P

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yes density, sorry. I think Jup's mass is like twice all of the other planets put together or something.

Niloklives
May 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
in physics, mass is just a measurement of how much stuff is in it, density is a ratio of mass to volume. technically, r00t's use of the word mass is accurate.

Also gravity is in part a function of mass. The more mass an object has, the greater its gravity, and inertia also being affected by mass (meaning the greater the mass the harder it is to build/lose momentum) it's entirely plausible for a planet's centrifugal force to exceed the limits of a planet's gravity, though what would cause it to spin that fast would have to be something pretty remarkable in that solar system.

Regardless, a planet spinning that fast would be pretty much uninhabitable.

•Col•
May 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
What are you people talking about? I never said the spin of the planet affected the gravity..... I said a smaller planet would have less of a gravitational pull. :l

EDIT:

Regardless, a planet spinning that fast would be pretty much uninhabitable.

^What I should have just said in the first place.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
Well considering that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of all planets in the known universe are uninhabitable anyways, you are correct. :)

NoiseHERO
May 24, 2011, 02:43 PM
/feels the need to roll my eyes without contributing

The point is, theres no way you're gonna make a 5 minute day/night system NOT sound retarded. In a game that's expected not to suck that's come out after pokemon gold and silver.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
/feels the need to ask what Pokemon has to do with this conversation.

Sord
May 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
If day and night is implemented, it will probably be just for that particular instanced mission. There will probably be daytime and nighttime levels, maybe even dusk and dawn ones, but there won't actually be any appearance of time flow like an actual setting and rising set of sun(s) and moon(s.)

Niloklives
May 24, 2011, 03:22 PM
Which is as it should be.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
If day and night is implemented, it will probably be just for that particular instanced mission. There will probably be daytime and nighttime levels, maybe even dusk and dawn ones, but there won't actually be any appearance of time flow like an actual setting and rising set of sun(s) and moon(s.)

This is exactly what will happen, my idea was just a hypothetical for the sole purpose of doing something different.

Niloklives
May 24, 2011, 03:30 PM
Different sucks. PSO HD NAO.

NoiseHERO
May 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
/feels the need to ask what Pokemon has to do with this conversation.

That's not going to save you,

Pokemon Gold and Silver was one of the first few notable mainstream games (at least that I know of) that had a 24 hour day/night system, on an 8-bit handheld at that.

a 5 minute day/night system is primitive, it would make sense if time could pass mid mission, but under 5-10 minutes? That's just dumb.

It could simply be 4 sky colors in a mission, morning, midday, sunset, and night. but the way the mission looks depends on the lobby's time of day.

r00tabaga
May 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
You guys might be looking at this too analytically and I can't win an argument with Nilok or you b/c you each are always right. Different is dumb? Oooookay. Nobody likes to debate more than I do, but I have no knowledge of pokemon so I'm stepping aside for the remainder of this topic.

•Col•
May 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
You guys might be looking at this too analytically and I can't win an argument with Nilok or you b/c you each are always right.

Lolz

Different is dumb? Oooookay.

He was making a joke by mocking the PSO purists. I thought it was pretty obvious with the "PSO HD NAO"....... >.>

Niloklives
May 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
Clearly me speaking completely out of character was too subtle for him.