PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 vs TERA Online

Easen
May 16, 2011, 09:14 PM
I am a veteran PSO player back since Dreamcast & GC but I have been following the game TERA for over 2 years now and have noticed the action oriented gameplay style between PSO2 and TERA are very similar. Now there isn't very much information out atm about PSO2 since we just recently acquired the first glimpse of gameplay footage.

Now I know there is no release date for either game but I do believe TERA will be released in September some time if nothing goes wrong. PSO2 hasn't even hit Alpha testing and I don't see it coming out until Q4 of 2011 or even later.

I am just curious to which game will be worth playing since I'm sure both will have a 15$ subscription fee. I for one will be playing both until I find out which one has more to offer.

Things to take into consideration. The PSO genre has always been the same, not much content with very repetitive gameplay. Also the notorious company behind PSO is SEGA who has let it's loyal customers down multiple times. (Though if all goes well we will share a global server with the Japanese players which will make everyone happy)

As for TERA, not much is known about the new company behind the game since this will be there first game published. The one thing we do know about the company is that it consists of people from other top leading MMORPG companies. The gameplay behind TERA is very much like PSOs action based gameplay style. Though it's based in a persistent world where PSO has always been lobby based.

It seems like SEGA is trying to make PSO2 more like modern day MMORPGs but they always seem to be a step behind. Other games are coming out with the same action oriented gameplay style but with massively more content. These are also being called the Next Gen MMORPGs.

I'm just looking for peoples opinion on each game because I've been anticipating and hyping both games up for quite a while now.

If you don't know anything about TERA then just ignore the whole topic.

ShinMaruku
May 17, 2011, 12:11 AM
I played Tera.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/ShinMaruku/TERA_ScreenShot_20110402_211438.png
Looks better than PSO2 and that's a bad sign. As for which verus which? That's simple if it's pay to play Tera>PSO2 Sega has never justified that pay for content unlike Tera that has new content monthly.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
Oh no, someone broke the ice...

D:

ShinMaruku
May 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/ShinMaruku/TERA_ScreenShot_20110403_001123.png I'm on a horse.

Zyrusticae
May 17, 2011, 12:25 AM
Why even bother comparing them at all?

Tera's an MMORPG with action combat. That's it. Period. It is an MMORPG through and through.

PSO2, meanwhile, is NOT an MMO. It's a lobby-based cooperative action-RPG. There's not going to be any open-world PvP, or even an open world at all, for that matter. Dungeons are completely instanced. There are much, MUCH larger loot tables (MMORPGs tend to have "best" items; rogue-alikes like the PSO series have far, far more variation). Tera uses a very traditional MMO-style hot bar for most every attack; PSO2 uses a combo system closer to, say, Vindictus, which itself is also a cooperative action RPG, with far less emphasis on the hotkey spam. Also, one is very traditional fantasy, the other is space fantasy.

They're very different games. Quite frankly, you can very easily pick one over the other because it closer fits your tastes. Do you like open world exploration? Pick Tera. Do you like craptons of loot and more intense action? PSO2 all the way. So on and so forth.

Not that difficult, is it?

ShinMaruku
May 17, 2011, 12:30 AM

Tera's an MMORPG with action combat. That's it. Period. It is an MMORPG through and through.

PSO2, meanwhile, is NOT an MMO. It's a lobby-based cooperative action-RPG. There's not going to be any open-world PvP, or even an open world at all, for that matter. Dungeons are completely instanced. There are much, MUCH larger loot tables (MMORPGs tend to have "best" items; rogue-alikes like the PSO series have far, far more variation). Tera uses a very traditional MMO-style hot bar for most every attack; PSO2 uses a combo system closer to, say, Vindictus, which itself is also a cooperative action RPG, with far less emphasis on the hotkey spam. Also, one is very traditional fantasy, the other is space fantasy.

They're very different games. Quite frankly, you can very easily pick one over the other because it closer fits your tastes. Do you like open world exploration? Pick Tera. Do you like craptons of loot and more intense action? PSO2 all the way. So on and so forth.

Indeed. But if they are both pay to play I'll go to Tera PSO2 can die in a fire charging for shit.

Easen
May 17, 2011, 01:38 AM

I already mentioned in my post if you would of read that TERA is a persistent world and PSO has always been lobby based. There was no reason to repeat what I've said.

They are some what different, but TERA offers the same hack'n slash gameplay style plus all the traditional MMORPG elements. I think that's what most people want in a MMORPG, PSOs action oriented gameplay mixed with a persistent world.

If you compare the games together you would start to realize that PSO2 is very limited and not much different.

PSO - Join room > Start mission > Kill monsters > Fight boss > Finish mission > Repeat.

MMORPGs - Join group > Start dungeon > Kill trash > Fight multiple bosses > Finish dungeon. (This being only one of the many things you can do in a MMORPG)

The only thing that set PSO apart from MMORPGs was it's fast-paced action based co-op gameplay, but now that games like TERA have taken that and mixed it with a persistent world, what's the point in PSO2?

As for hotkeys, PSO2 seems to have taken the traditional hotkey layout as well, with buttons 1-9. TERA on the other hand doesn't use very many hotkeys like most modern MMORPGs but I'm not saying it doesn't have the same layout. If you have ever played or watched a video, you would notice they don't use very many skills in combat.

Like I said, if you don't know anything about TERA don't bother posting here.

Aeiku
May 17, 2011, 01:59 AM
As much as I would like to retaliate on the matter. I'd say wait until we see PSO2 Alpha test in action before making any comments on gameplay since we barely got a taste of what's to come. I also agree with Zyru's comment the games are different in many aspects judging from it's predecessors and the information we have obtained so far.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2011, 02:04 AM
Well we barely know anything about PSO2... So... why bother posting this here now? o_O Or in general...

Then it just seems like you're only comparing this to PSO, Where PSU had a more community aspects and side things, which this game was promised to have more on.

and definitely in the PS fanbase, not everyone just wants some huge open world, or a typical MMO but with PSO's action.

I'm glad you found what you may prefer. But it only looks like a dick move trying to imply some game is better than another game, in it's own forum. Which pretty much makes this thread just as bad as most of the PSO vs PSU threads, but almost worst because it's not phantasy star. Saying "Only post if you know what this game is 8D" won't save you from that.

Or it could've...But someone broke that ice already... ]:

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 02:10 AM
Obvious troll thread is obvious

Well we barely know anything about PSO2... So... why bother posting this here now? o_O Or in general...

Then it just seems like you're only comparing this to PSO, Where PSU had a more community aspects and side things, which this game was promised to have more on.

and definitely in the PS fanbase, not everyone just wants some huge open world, or a typical MMO but with PSO's action.

I'm glad you found what you may prefer. But it only looks like a dick move trying to imply some game is better than another game, in it's own forum. Which pretty much makes this thread just as bad as most of the PSO vs PSU threads, but almost worst because it's not phantasy star. Saying "Only post if you know what this game is 8D" won't save you from that.

Or it could've...But someone broke that ice already... ]:

Last I checked this was PSOW. Why the hell would we sit here and talk about TERA? This is the first I heard of this game and I'll post just the same.

Nitro Vordex
May 17, 2011, 02:25 AM
Tera looks like WoW, and we all know how comparisons with WoW go.

Sord
May 17, 2011, 03:31 AM
If you don't know anything about TERA then just ignore the whole topic.

Considering no one knows anything at all about PSO2 because it's still in alpha, it's hardly fair to compare anything to begin with.

Airalean
May 17, 2011, 03:57 AM
I'll be shamelessly playing both once they release in America.

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 06:56 AM
I didn't see the harm in ths post. TERA looks cool & might give some like me a reason to have two PC games soon.

@ Eason: Just remember that around here, "Haters' gonna hate!" People are very testy in these here parts.

Miyoko
May 17, 2011, 07:57 AM
MY GAME THAT ISN'T OUT YET IS BETTER THAN YOUR GAME THAT ISN'T OUT YET!

When did these forums become so... Flooded with idiots? I mean, it's entertaining to read, but Jesus... Are people really this dumb?

Ezodagrom
May 17, 2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know much about TERA, only checked a couple of gameplay videos, but, while it does look more fun than the usual point & click MMOs, in my opinion the gameplay still looks rather bland...

Dhylec
May 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
We like discussion, but no need to get all flustered on speculation & expectation.

I have nothing against Tera or other games, but it's still premature to compare pre-alpha PSO2 to another. Once the game is out, or at least playable, then revisit this subject.