PDA

View Full Version : Who's having an End of the World party?

Sinue_v2
May 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Yes, the May 21st 2011 date of the tribulation (according to wacky radio preacher Harold Camping) is almost upon us. Mobile advertisers are prowling the streets like some demented ice-cream truck serving out a double-scoop of doom and righteous judgment upon your heathen souls, and towering billboards proclaiming the endtimes (guys on streetcorners ringing bells is smalltime chumps) have cropped up all over the world. A lot of interest has apparently been generated in the media and the internets (where the media troll their news from), and has given this prophetic hooka-do the gravitas to become a setup for a pretty epic fail. Or at least, one significant enough to provide an excuse for taking the day off work and drinking until your liver implodes.

There's a vaguer end times billboard out by my place I was considering getting a few friends together dressed up as Mayan indians to protest God in support of a Dec 21, 2012 instead of May 2011. (damned white man takes everything from the Indians, don't they? They even have to get the one-up on the end of days)

So are you planning to do anything special on the end of days? What heinous sins are you planning to commit? Will you replace the worm in your tequila bottle with a rosary for "fire insurance"?

Family "you're all gonna burn in hell" Radio Worldwide (http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html)

CBS News: Apocalypse Soon (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/03/national/main7208264.shtml)

San Diego End of the World party (http://www.eotwparty.com/#0Home)

BIG OLAF
May 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
Oh, yeesh. Another "End of Days" theory? Those are kind of getting old.

amtalx
May 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
I find the whole thing rather amusing. There's always a doomsday theory predicting the end of the world. I'm taking a trip to NY this weekend and I had to fill out a form for the vacation time I'll be using. I filled out the reason for using time off as "The Rapture!". My coworkers seemed to get a kick out of it.

CelestialBlade
May 17, 2011, 09:53 PM
That's the day the first of my student loan payments come out of my account. Guess I better pray for the Rapture, eh?

Palle
May 17, 2011, 09:56 PM
Vegas.

Randomness
May 17, 2011, 09:57 PM
I find the whole thing rather amusing. There's always a doomsday theory predicting the end of the world. I'm taking a trip to NY this weekend and I had to fill out a form for the vacation time I'll be using. I filled out the reason for using time off as "The Rapture!". My coworkers seemed to get a kick out of it.

Remember folks, if it doesn't happen, it's because the guy messed up his holy transcendental Jesus double prayer bible code addition.

Sinue_v2
May 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
Remember folks, if it doesn't happen, it's because the guy messed up his holy transcendental Jesus double prayer bible code addition.

Well, you know what they say... third times a charm.

Randomness
May 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Well, you know what they say... third times a charm.

Yeah, that's the time the virtues of 100 people outweigh the sins of 6.7 billion people so the world isn't destroyed. Gotta love em (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True-believer_syndrome)

KodiaX987
May 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
The world will end in 2009!
The world will end in 2010!
The world will end in 2011!

The world will end in 2012, THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL!

Sinue_v2
May 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, that's the time the virtues of 100 people outweigh the sins of 6.7 billion people so the world isn't destroyed. Gotta love em (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True-believer_syndrome)

Yeah, and that's a powerful argument for them you know... because the OT is just jam packed with stories of a virtuous few sparing righteous judgment of the masses of filthy vile sinners. You know, like Noah's prevention of the Flood, or Lot's redemption of Sodom & Gomorrah, Moses's peaceful negotiation for Hebrew liberation, and the gentle co-existence of the chosen people with their new heathen Canaanite neighbors.

O wait....

But to be accurate, Harold Camping did admit he made a math error as a reason for why his last end of days prediction failed to manifest. Whether or not he admits error or falls back on the True Believer Syndrome to explain the sun rising on May 22 this time around, I guess we'll see.

Retehi
May 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
I think the world was supposed to end like 15 times in my lifetime (25 years.)

Randomness
May 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah, and that's a powerful argument for them you know... because the OT is just jam packed with stories of a virtuous few sparing righteous judgment of the masses of filthy vile sinners. You know, like Noah's prevention of the Flood, or Lot's redemption of Sodom & Gomorrah, Moses's peaceful negotiation for Hebrew liberation, and the gentle co-existence of the chosen people with their new heathen Canaanite neighbors.

O wait....

But to be accurate, Harold Camping did admit he made a math error as a reason for why his last end of days prediction failed to manifest. Whether or not he admits error or falls back on the True Believer Syndrome to explain the sun rising on May 22 this time around, I guess we'll see.

Yeah, the whole math error thing I already touched on. I think I made I my opinion of the veracity of such stories fairly clear though. (True believer syndrome also allows for math errors to always be plausible)

Outrider
May 17, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well, May 21st is my mom's birthday.

And her twin sister is going to be in town.

And we're all going to my grandmother's to celebrate her birthday as well.

And I can guarantee they'll be bickering within five minutes of everybody getting together.

So yes, I'm pretty sure the apocalypse is happening.

KodiaX987
May 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
Well, May 21st is my mom's birthday.

And her twin sister is going to be in town.

And we're all going to my grandmother's to celebrate her birthday as well.

And I can guarantee they'll be bickering within five minutes of everybody getting together.

So yes, I'm pretty sure the apocalypse is happening.

Depends. Are their ovaries going to be perfectly aligned?

Dhylec
May 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
This vaguely reminds me of Y2K for some reason.

AlexCraig
May 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
The 20th will be my 1-year anniversary with my girlfriend.

Milla
May 18, 2011, 12:11 AM
Sega will announce the western release date of PSP2I on May 21st.

Trollface.jpg

blace
May 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
I would party... if I was Christian or whatever religion that uses the bible, but in all honesty, it just seems like a massive excuse to do nothing.

If anything, it'll be another Y2K fluke and I'll probably be working my ass off...

Rashiid
May 18, 2011, 06:06 AM
The 21st is when my gf leaves to China for 80 days.
It will be the end of the world this summer. Wahhhhhhhhhhhh! ; ;

Blue-Hawk
May 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
I agree that the world ending thing is getting old. And what will his parish do on May 22 when nothing has happened again?

And note how he uses math, a form of science, to figure this out. Math, or maybe numerology. He's an evangelical priest for christ's (and yes I admit the irony of the words I chose there) sake. NONE of those should be taken seriously. I want the Vatican to look at his credentials and see if they are even real. Then I want the IRS to look into the money he's stolen from his parish and tax the hell out of him. That might just fix the country's defecit. Then I want homeland security to look into him for possible terrorist threats. I say that setting a doomsday date should count as a terroristic threat.

One other question. Why don't you ever hear these things from other countries? Only Americans seem to keep coming up with these things. Just goes to show how stupid humantiy is getting. Especially the ones that listen and believe them.

I'll be laughing at the idiots on May 22 just like I did after Y2K and I will in 2013.

Akaimizu
May 18, 2011, 10:04 AM
If the end of the world doesn't happen. They'll simply move it to April in 2012. Then after that, we'll see.

The problem with our generation (especially gen Xer's) is that we've gone through so many of these, it's like the boy who cried wolf. We get it. Somehow our generation is supposed to see the end of the world in some shape or form. Everybody is trying to get on this Year 20XX kick of some kind.

And because it is 20XX, we might as well throw more out there.

If 2012 doesn't do us in, we'll all be attacked and taken over by Dr. Wily and his band of robots, so we better find the kid with the last name of Light, ensure he becomes a doctor and that we get Rockman made Pronto!!

My thoughts. The most likely Rapture people might get on this day, is the "Rapture of Love" by Anita Baker.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
Megaman is the year 200X...so yeah... Dr.Wily already failed.

But I bet you WWW was behind Sony's network getting hacked.

Sinue_v2
May 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
IAnd what will his parish do on May 22 when nothing has happened again?

I've actually been kind of concerned with this question for awhile now. So many people who have volunteered to spread this "warning" they ardently believe in are going to be left with nothing come May 22. They've lost their jobs, homes, possessions, and in some cases their family and friends. It's destroyed their lives just as thoroughly as a natural disaster. Except there's no insurance policy for gullibility.

I'm concerned that we may see a wave of suicides follow in the wake of this failed prediction. There was supposedly a New Jersey guy who took his life as a result of Harold Camping's the 1994 end of day's prediction, but I couldn't find an actual source for the claim, so it may likely just be urban legend. Still, as foolish as I think these people are, I don't want them to get hurt any more than they already have.

One other question. Why don't you ever hear these things from other countries?

You do. For instance, The Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_for_the_Restoration_of_the_Ten_Commandmen ts_of_God) in Uganda comitted mass suicide/murder when their 2000 prediction for the return of Christ failed to manifest. In total, 778 people lost their lives.

I would party... if I was Christian or whatever religion that uses the bible

I'm not Christian. In fact, that's kind of the whole idea behind the End of the World party.... because they are so frequent, it's like getting an extra holiday filled with sin and debauchery every year. Plus you get to mock people's cherished and potentially very dangerous (or at the least, counterproductive) beliefs.

Syl
May 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
Humorously, I'm hosting a Rapture BBQ on the 21st with some friends. It'll be a night of barbecued gluttony, gambling, and what have you. I mean, if it isn't hosted by Jesus (which happens to be my name), it ain't no Rapture party. :wacko:

Sord
May 18, 2011, 03:53 PM
My friends and I already had our party date set as the December 21st one, and we're gonna hold it off till then. We are having a BBQ picnic at the park this Sunday (day after) which will probably involve booze and what not, but that's more to do with all our work schedules (about half the group work at places where they get Sunday off, so it's easy to just do planned get togethers that day.) This BBQ party has been in the works since at least a month ago.

Ark22
May 18, 2011, 04:48 PM
Y2K was the best one

Gintoki-kun
May 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
I agree that the world ending thing is getting old. And what will his parish do on May 22 when nothing has happened again?

I'll be laughing at the idiots on May 22 just like I did after Y2K and I will in 2013.

Just this because no human can figure out/predict when our world is going to end.
Believe in God or no,no one can predict the end of this world,humans shouldn't sprout such non-sense.

Sinue_v2
May 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Just this because no human can figure out/predict when our world is going to end.

I can. The world will end August the 17th in the year 4,583,220,836AD when the sun goes Red Giant. +/- 500,000,000 years. I'll be hosting a BBQ party in Indianapolis for the big event, so if you guys haven't been killed by the oceans boiling away in a billion years, harvested by nomadic aliens, or torn to shreds by giant Warble-Throated Horror-Beaks (evolutionary descendents of the common pigeon) - then I invite you all to stop by. Now, there is a small chance that as the sun continues to shed mass that the orbit of Earth will extend out beyond the future radius of the sun when it finally stops expanding. I wouldn't bet on it though, so just in case you might want to R.S.V.P.

(I had originally planned to host the party on the Fra Mauro Highlands on the Moon for a better view, but let's face it, we're never going back there.)

Oh, and there's also a chance that small instabilities in the orbits of the inner-planets could, over time, send the planets spiraling out of control, so dress as weather permits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgR3HgVnW8U&feature=channel_video_title

(Event pending Earth's very unlikely destruction in super-dense clouds of ionized gasses/supermassive black hole during the collision of our Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy in 3,000,000,000 years.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexMl2SO6_I

Gunslinger-08
May 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
Matthew 24:36 (King James Version)

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Harold Camping, you're doing it wrong...

Gotta love it when Christians don't even read the Bible.

(In other words, I'm not concerned. I'll just spend it like I would any other Saturday.)

Reikoku na kuma
May 18, 2011, 07:08 PM
Seriously, some ppl ACTUALLY beliving this rhetoric.... shows how truly dumb our soceity has become......espcially to even come up with this stuff up, what, like every 5-10 yrs...?

Keilyn
May 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
I never got the memo....Except for all the signs across this city through many billboards instilling fear upon the public in regards to the end of the world...

Of course, I love the cover story

If a religious entity speaks of the end of the world, sure its not consider fear and panic...No, its a "reliable source" but if any other non-governmental group does the same thing...oh wait...isn't that classified under Terrorism?

Can't wait for May 22nd. :) Then maybe the only world that will end is this crappy attempt abrehamian religions have tried to instill on the public this time around,

HUnewearl_Meira
May 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
This man's date is based on two flawed bits of information-- first, knowing the precise date of the Flood, and second, assuming that a specific New Testament passage is meant as a cypher for a specific Old Testament passage.

Using the date of the Flood is fallacious, because of the method used to extrapolate it. The calculated date of the Flood is based on Biblical genealogies which can be demonstrated to contain omissions, and therefore to not make reliable chronological markers. Genealogies are included in the Bible to establish lineage (thus, confirming Jesus' right to the throne of Israel, by virtue of his decendence from King David, by both his mother and his adopted father), not to establish a time line. One such genealogy appears twice, one with more entries than the other.

The other is a much larger problem for the validity of this prediction. Their argument begins with the Book of Peter, which states that "one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day." They apply this as a cypher to Genesis 7:4--

For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Applying the cypher, doom begins 7,000 years after the Flood. The inherent problems are absurd. Genesis 7:4 referred specifically to the Flood, and there is no apparent reason to believe that it might additionally refer to the promised "cleansing by fire" which is to come at some indeterminate date. Even if the passage in Peter were indeed a cypher, there is no direction given to apply it to Genesis 7:4. Genesis 19 describes the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, an episode which much more closely resembles the modern concept of the "Rapture" (angels appear and take the remaining righteous away, just in time for the rest of the population to be wiped out by fire and brimstone), and if the same cypher is applied there, then the world should've reached its conclusion thousands of years ago.

This prediction holds no water. To cap the whole business off, I give you 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3--

1 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

I'd say it's made pretty clear right there, that the information this group claims to have, is simply not provided. It does a good job of giving a few people something to cling to, but I fear for their faith, when the date comes and goes uneventfully.

Sinue_v2
May 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
Seriously, some ppl ACTUALLY beliving this rhetoric.... shows how truly dumb our soceity has become...

Dude... are you really surprised by this? ABC News just ran a story in which they pitted Stephen Hawking's recent comments on heaven not existing against a 12 year old kid who claims he was there and met Jesus during an NDE when he was four years old. And they declared the kid the winner...

Holy fucking shit, we are screwed. (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/heaven-exist-modern-world-physicist-stephen-hawking-says-no-12-year-old-boy-says-yes-us-13633957)

Adriano
May 18, 2011, 07:33 PM
Dude... are you really surprised by this? ABC News just ran a story in which they pitted Stephen Hawking's recent comments on heaven not existing against a 12 year old kid who claims he was there and met Jesus during an NDE when he was four years old. And they declared the kid the winner...

Holy fucking shit, we are screwed. (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/heaven-exist-modern-world-physicist-stephen-hawking-says-no-12-year-old-boy-says-yes-us-13633957)

Oh and not to forget, the boy's dad is a pastor.

Chukie sue
May 18, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'd say it's made pretty clear right there, that the information this group claims to have, is simply not provided. It does a good job of giving a few people something to cling to, but I fear for their faith, when the date comes and goes uneventfully.

While I would agree that their date is incorrect, Revelation 3:3 explains how God will come like a thief in the night only to those who have not woken up:

Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

Powder Keg
May 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
Y2K, the beta approaches.

Keilyn
May 18, 2011, 11:08 PM
We are talking about a time in the world where the majority did not know how to read and write and READING was a "Specialization" and so was writing.

A Specialization is a skill one has outside of Hunting, Gathering and Agriculture.

An exercise I give to students is the following:

1) Each Student is given the assignment to create a three paragraph short story.

2) Each student must memorize their short story.

These two simulate the fact most people in the past remembered through word of mouth.

3) Each student is the assigned to a group of three. They each tell their stories to each other. They are not allowed to show the "written story" and must tell the story orally. ^_^

I tell them to remember the story they were told as a special surprise will come. The next part of the experiment simulates the way information is recorded to the history books.

4) A group of four students is chosen. Up to two people may explain each story orally without notes to those students. The students interprets the story and writes it down based on their understanding of the story told to them.

5) I roleplay the "Traveling" Person. I stumble upon the stories and I rewrite them to my own way into my own book.

6) Finally, I introduce to the class.....The original set of stories as created by the original authors and compare them to the "history book" written and to my own written version.

This process teaches people how Historical Texts, Biblical Texts, and many publications are actually "Created by Interpretation" and the differences and obstacles in producing such work.

I prove to everyone that "Truth is based on Interpretation and such "truth" is never absolute. I remind them that more people today know how to read and write than did years ago.

This is exactly why I dont really believe in Biblical texts and historical texts are harder to believe. Specially when we consider language and political barriers. ^_^

Crysteon
May 18, 2011, 11:47 PM

That kid should stop eating candies, rofl.

blace
May 18, 2011, 11:54 PM
Something about giving students a lesson about interpretation

Sorry if that sounds blunt, but something like this was done when I was in middle school, and I have to say that no one understood what the other said.

Language barriers and political involvement, do tend to sway how someone interprets text from the old world. Not everything in a text book is exact, it varies depending on how that person percieves it.

Personally, these predictions are almost, if not always, the same as scientists predictions on how the sun may engulf the earth, or a black hole engulfing this tiny little solar system. To each their own I suppose.

Sinue_v2
May 19, 2011, 12:04 AM
This process teaches people how Historical Texts, Biblical Texts, and many publications are actually "Created by Interpretation" and the differences and obstacles in producing such work.

This is exactly why I dont really believe in Biblical texts and historical texts are harder to believe. Specially when we consider language and political barriers. ^_^

To play devil's advocate for a bit, I think you're seriously underestimating the ability of the human mind to memorize and recall very precise information. Especially in environments where there is no written word to record information, and the practical skill of memorization and recall was prioritized. It was a vital skill for transport, military campaigns, tax collection, entertainment, and law. Of course, in today's world, asking your students or contemporaries to preform such feats is near impossible... as we have the benefit of widespread literacy and access to books, internet resources, and audio/video storage from which to reference and fact-check our information. We don't need to memorize entire volumes of work and accurately reproduce them. We have externalized our memory for that, and as a consequence lost the skill our ancestors once excelled at.

Now, with ANY reproduction of information you will have a varying degree of errors introduced. However, I don't think you can really compare the magnitude of errors generated by devoted holy men in telling their people's most important and sacred oral traditions to modern (elementary?) students. A much bigger editory influence is in revisionist interpretations, those who purposely modify the information and stories to suit a current event or condition weighing heavily on people's minds... or to impress a certain message or belief of the editor unto the people. For example, the 4~5 revisionary authors of the Pentateuch as supposed by the Documentary Hypothesis.

Indeed, I would argue the apparently schizophrenic contradictions found in New Testament scripture is not due to a single story being told (via Rashomon Effect) of four different eyewitnesses... but due to those Gospels being originated at different times, in different Geo-Political situations, for different audiences. This is why John is much more anti-semitic than Mark and Luke... because they were written much earlier for a predominantly Hebrew audience, while John was written later for a predominantly Roman/Gentile audience. John was written and spread between the First and Second Revolt - when early Christians wanted to distinguish themselves from the Jews who were trying to rise up against Rome. Furthermore, Bar Kochba (who lead the Second Revolt) was also a messianic figure in direct competition with Christ as the Hebrew Messiah.

As an experiment to show kids a proof of concept and sharpen their critical thinking skills, your experiment is great. I just don't think it's a solid position from which to base personal acceptance or rejection of a historical work on.

Akaimizu
May 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
1984 didn't happen like we thought. Noone pushed the buttons sending us all into a Post-nuclear civilization in the 20th Century. 2000 didn't end the world. We haven't been sucked into a bunch of little black holes made by some Large Hadron Collider (though we may have larger ones in the future). And I still don't have my Hoverboard nor Hovercar.

Well, at least Star Trek managed to misfire with the communicators, but instead of them not happening, Star Trek actually went too lenient on the tech. We largely outdid that tech at the beginning of the 21st century.

Maybe the Doomsayers aren't Doomsayers. They're just Reverse-Psychology Majors. They figure, since the end of the world is supposed to come when everybody least expects it; if we simply make everyone aware of all of these times when the end is clearly going to come, by nature of the beast it wont happen then. Protection by Illogical statements using Logic to fight off "The End".

V.A.P
May 19, 2011, 05:47 PM
So are you planning to do anything special on the end of days?

I'm going to see the new Pirates movie tomorrow night with some friends.

KodiaX987
May 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
1984 didn't happen like we though

I happened in 1984. Run for fucking cover.

DiMiTri
May 19, 2011, 08:28 PM
Cannabis. Lots and lots of Cannabis.

Adriano
May 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hope you guys stocked up on sunblock.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_llevueY2IN1qc2okio1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1305949425&Signature=36CYYwi7Akl0Dugd7QGh9T0sqaQ%3D

Akaimizu
May 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
Darn it. That Super Nova came millions and millions of years early!

Sord
May 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us/20rapture.html?_r=1

Article about some parents who sort of uprooted the lives of their kids as well because the parents believe in some of the dooms day hoo-hah.

W0LB0T
May 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
Looks like I'm gonna be pulling an extra long shift on this Apocalypse. Like Arj Barker once said "don't die while doing something you love, die when doing something you hate".

Chukie sue
May 20, 2011, 04:13 PM
Anyway, I hope to see the new Pirates movie as well as get in a fight at my soccer game tomorrow.

MESeele
May 20, 2011, 05:07 PM
I was listening to the radio this morning, and apparently they changed their mind. The rapture is not instantaneous destruction to all, but rather, the 21st is merely the starting point. Apparently it could be as long as five months for the process to finish. Guess the angels need to sort everyone out and stuff lol. You'd figure they'd just ask Santa whose been naughty and nice. It would save them a lot of time...

Nitro Vordex
May 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
Man, even the justice system in heaven is bloated. 5 months my ass.

Orange_Coconut
May 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
I was listening to the radio this morning, and apparently they changed their mind. The rapture is not instantaneous destruction to all, but rather, the 21st is merely the starting point. Apparently it could be as long as five months for the process to finish. Guess the angels need to sort everyone out and stuff lol. You'd figure they'd just ask Santa whose been naughty and nice. It would save them a lot of time...

If that's the case then I feel bad for the children whose parents have taken in the belief that the world will end whole-heartedly. From leaving families, to quitting work, it seems like this event will affect a lot of people regardless of whether or not the rapture actually occurs.

Phinalphantasy
May 20, 2011, 07:52 PM
The world will end in 2009!
The world will end in 2010!
The world will end in 2011!

The world will end in 2012, THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL!

Macho Man Randy Savage just died. This one's gotta be real.

Nitro Vordex
May 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
He obviously died so he can come back tomorrow.

Syl
May 20, 2011, 09:24 PM

Uh, not really new at all. That's been the case since this little Rapture theory came about. The date of Judgment Day is not really talked about for some reason. I'm kind of confused as to why.

All sinners (dead or alive) are stranded on Earth until October 21st, Judgment Day. That's when we kiss everything bai bai. Until then, we're going to get trolled hard with tons of things like catastrophic natural disasters, plagues, and whatever else the big guy in the sky feels like. Or so they say (lolRapturoc?)

One thing that always makes me chuckle with these crazy biblical events: if it doesn't happen, that was just part of the plan all along! They weren't wrong, they were just testing us! :wacko:

Sinue_v2
May 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRb8TigJ28

I belieb the end is near. Why not, these guys seem legit.

Zarode
May 20, 2011, 10:23 PM
The world can end after I fix my car tomorrow, thank you very much...

sovalou
May 20, 2011, 10:26 PM
does the world end by time zones? >_>

KodiaX987
May 20, 2011, 11:34 PM
does the world end by time zones? >_>

I now have a mental picture of God smashing the Earth like a Terry's Chocolate Orange and eating it piece by piece.

Randomness
May 21, 2011, 12:42 AM
LET THE CHAOS BEGIN!!!! PAARRTTTYYY!!!!!

Fayorei
May 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
I thought about having a party! Woo!!

I'm agnostic, but my Baptist friend apparently tells me that in the Bible humans have no way of knowing the date of any "Rapture". I mean, I guess it's God after all. It wouldn't make sense for humans to be able to understand that sort of event to the day/month/year I guess?:confused:

Blue-Hawk
May 21, 2011, 01:30 AM
It is now 30 minutes after the start of the end in New Zealand time and from what I have gathered, not a damned thing is happening. So much for another zealot. Albet a much more dangerous one than usual.

Corey Blue
May 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
Camping made a newbe mistake,you can never give a clear date when the end of the world is going to happen.Plus the Bible said he'll come as a thief in the night,so we'll never know when it's going happen.Camping is just a troll a attention wanting troll,and he just mad cause his ass is old.

Akaimizu
May 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
He'll just move the date again. That's all.

Powder Keg
May 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
The fact that it received this much attention to begin with.....lol

Xefi
May 21, 2011, 11:36 AM
He'll just move the date again. That's all.

then people might go panicking again. hopefully, the housing in Southern
California goes down dramatically so that i can down for one in the mist of chaos. :cake:

Fayorei
May 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" -- Matthew 24:36

Randomness
May 21, 2011, 01:42 PM
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" -- Matthew 24:36

We know.

Keilyn
May 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
Religion is funny. The world's greatest book club. If I say "I believe in a God written in a book and consider this book to be a history book" I would get praise from every believer fool.

If I claimed I believed in Aslan or Kali I would literally be labeled and institutionalized until I "regain the sanity" to be "one with a god from another more accepted book" who has followers who create idiotic ideas like the world is going to end on May 21st...

OF ALL THE DAYS TO END IT Too.....Can one be any more random? Abrahamc religions are lost cause for me, and amazingly enough just saying "I don't believe in God" is enough for people to take my life in some places in the world. So much for "Order."

Midori Oku
May 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Why are we not dead yet? :lol:

Crysteon
May 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
Grab your Moon Atomizers and Giresta spells! Just in case.... ;<

Bad joke is bad...At least I'm not dead......yet!

BIG OLAF
May 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
I guess Phantasy Star players don't go to heaven.

Alucard V
May 21, 2011, 06:43 PM
Where are the demons? I thought there would be demons roaming the streets by now.
Worst Ragnarok ever!

Blue-Hawk
May 21, 2011, 08:28 PM
Well I for one am HIGHLY dissapointed in this. I wanted to see the world as we know it torn asunder. I wanted to see people flying into the sky. Or in the immortal words of Marvin the Martian- 'Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.'

I'm writing a VERY strongly worded letter to Camping demanding a refund for my ticket.

I'm giving this show a 0/10 stars.

Nitro Vordex
May 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe Notch will fix our Netherworld in the next update. Minecraft 1.6 will be the rapture.

Chukie sue
May 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
I found a pile of laundry on my chair this morning. It was quite the fright - that so many people were on my chair potentially breaking it ;~;

http://www.racksstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Clothes-Rack.jpg

This almost looks worse than death camps - just what were they doing to those people?

Terrible jokes aside, I played a bad game of soccer today but we still won, so today was just meh.

Chukie sue
May 21, 2011, 09:31 PM

Rev 3:3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 1 Thess 1-5

Relevant picture:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llkby9qp4j1qbfwn7o1_500.jpg

Randomness
May 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
Where are the demons? I thought there would be demons roaming the streets by now.
Worst Ragnarok ever!

To be fair, demons roaming the streets is easy to deal with... you just need a hacked DS.

Sinue_v2
May 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
I was looking at the site for the Rapture Relief Fund (http://rapture-relief.org/), and it occurred to me that while giving that money raised away to a "summer camp for critical thinking" is a decent enough cause... there's a lot more people who were devastated by this event whom need that money now to try to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives and give them some hope for the future.

Maybe the next "DoomsDay" someone should set up a charity to help those people who had their lives fucked over by their own gullibility and wishful thinking. And while they're at it... hand out some pamphlets that give them tips on how to think critically.

Luckily, this Doom'sFail prediction hasn't been very eventful, but the next few weeks are going to be tough and there may still be an elevated risk of suicides and homelessness as unpaid mortgages come due, tapped retirement funds run out, and previously employed family providers find themselves unable to find work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vj8-_jhFAA&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRpo3yN7b1c&feature=channel_video_title

Robert_Garcia
May 22, 2011, 01:23 AM
So...how about that rapture?

KodiaX987
May 22, 2011, 06:30 AM
WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE...

Rapture was a city in a video game.

V.A.P
May 22, 2011, 06:33 AM
YouTube - &#x202a;Mom Tries to Kill Kids, Self, Before 'Tribulation' Comes&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vj8-_jhFAA&feature=channel_video_title)

YouTube - &#x202a;Christian Spends Retirement Savings on May 21, 2011 Rapture Ads&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRpo3yN7b1c&feature=channel_video_title)

Human intelligence at its finest.

Akaimizu
May 22, 2011, 06:41 AM
I like how stuff on YouTube seems to generalize everything. They couldn't simply say some individual spends retirement savings, because that's what they're doing. They're acting alone. At least the news broadcast definitely singles out the guy.

Tetsaru
May 22, 2011, 07:19 AM
Seeing how the world hasn't ended yet, I guess this is appropriate:

[spoiler-box]http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/Jme_ma/WhereIsYourGodNow.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I don't want to get into arguing about religions, but to me, they're more or less the same in terms of giving people a set of ideas and morals to live by. All these holy wars and crusades and "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL" and what not are just people arguing over who has the best imaginary friend, when there's really not much difference, other than people developing their own twisted agendas and trying to convince others to join them for their own gain. That's really the simplest explanation I can offer. :confused:

I was raised Christian, but lately I've developed more into an Agnostic. I still believe in God, but at the same time, I'm convinced that there are still scientific explanations to various things (the Mayan calendar, Nostradamus' prophecies, Noah's Ark, Ark of the Covenant, Shroud of Turin, the Templar Knights, secrets held by the Vatican and other church organizations, etc.) that we just haven't discovered yet. Either that, or maybe I just watch the History Channel too much, lol. ^^; I just try to keep an open mind about it, because let's face it - most overzealous fire-and-brimstone people just aren't credible, and they sure are annoying as hell to listen to. :rolleyes:

Maybe Notch will fix our Netherworld in the next update. Minecraft 1.6 will be the rapture.

This made me lol. Maybe that's what that all those floating areas were that they revealed recently...? (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/19/minecraft-screenshots-reveal-new-sky-dimension/) :wacko: But yeah, I've been wanting to see the Nether in SMP ever since I started my own server back in November...

Alucard V
May 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
Worst Ragnarok ever!

To be fair, demons roaming the streets is easy to deal with... you just need a hacked DS.

I was so looking forward to that tho. I was gonna get a small demon party find the big boss and kick him in the..... well you know.

Keilyn
May 22, 2011, 07:40 AM
Like I've said before "The easiest way to piss of a Christian without trying to offend a Christian is to simply say the words "I'm sorry but I don't believe in your deity" and as soon as you say Deity and not GOD, they will have to remember that their "GOD" was created by man and stuffed into a book like every other religion on the face of the planet.

Einstein's quote is one of my favorites:

"There are two things which are infinity, the universe and human stupidity and of the universe I am not so sure" ^_^

Kion
May 22, 2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s&feature=feedf

McLaughlin
May 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Like I've said before "The easiest way to piss of a Christian without trying to offend a Christian is to simply say the words "I'm sorry but I don't believe in your deity" and as soon as you say Deity and not GOD, they will have to remember that their "GOD" was created by man and stuffed into a book like every other religion on the face of the planet.

"There are two things which are infinity, the universe and human stupidity and of the universe I am not so sure" ^_^

Or you could not be a bigot and let them believe what they want to believe.

Blue-Hawk
May 22, 2011, 09:05 AM
YouTube - &#x202a;After The Rapture&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s&feature=feedf)

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! That was AWESOME! Thanks for that.

Angelic Fae
May 22, 2011, 12:46 PM
What!? the worlds ending again? when were you gonna tell me about this?

anyone know how to submit a complaint to god that doesn't involve dying?

Fayorei
May 22, 2011, 01:32 PM

That'd piss off a ton of people where I live, but even if I'm agnostic I don't want to go around curb stomping everyone else's religions. Feels kinda mean, man.:(

Sinue_v2
May 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Or you could not be a bigot and let them believe what they want to believe.

There's a big difference between actively denying someone their beliefs, and simply not insulating their beliefs by checking your own speech. One is form of overt thought control on the religious, the other is a rejection of social pressures effecting thought control over those who disagree. Some, like Dick Dawkins, can take the latter to a rather douchy extreme... but it's still by no means an attempt to deny others their beliefs. Besides, given the context Keilyn provided, that quote is in response to someone else's assertion of their beliefs on her... and it's perfectly true, concise, and polite. That others get pissed off that someone doesn't believe the same things they do is not her fucking problem.

You know the key difference between a religion and a cult, is that a cult seeks to insulate their members away from previous social and family ties so as to brainwash their new followers without challenge from outside belief systems. If you had a loved one flirting dangerously close to joining a religious cult (Like, say, Heaven's Gate, the Glory Barners, or Scientology) would you not speak up and try to talk them out of it? Would you accept and respect their crazy beliefs, even unto the point where it does harm to them, out of fear of not being a bigot?

Note:
[spoiler-box]
Many elements of Coercive Persuasion employed by cults are cornerstones of major religions: example, Christianity.

Application of Physical/Emotional Stress:
You're born a sinner and will burn in hell for eternity.

Solution to all Problems is a simple answer:
Jesus Christ died for your sins, if you accept him.

Unconditional Love/Acceptance:
Jesus loves everyone, even the most wretched. No sin is unforgivable in a repentant heart. The flock will welcome you back.

Creation of a new Identity:
Being Born Again/Adopting the name of a Saint during Confirmation.

Entrapment:
Weakly incorporated depending on denomination... but still present in the form of increasingly absurd rituals and duties you must accept including the Eucharist, Tithing, Political goading, etc. Most noticeable in Fundamentalist interpretations.

Restriction of Information:
Weakly incorporated depending on denomination. Most Christian churches are prolific enough that they hold substantial sway over the local community and government, providing a "belief bubble" that reduces the need for a central leader/authority to declare certain information restricted/dangerous. Some still try to use political avenues to restrict those scientific discoveries (or prevent them from being taught to students) which contradict scripture, such as Evolution, Embryology, Climate Change, Cosmology, etc. Homeschooling/Religious Private Schools highly recommended. Mingling and learning of other faiths is sometimes dissuaded, as are certain "Un-Christian" forms of media. Most noticeable in Fundamentalist interpretations.

Popular Psychology: An Encyclopedia. By Luis A. Cordón (http://books.google.com/books?id=Uy1gmwcAgg4C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=coercive+persuasion,+psychology&source=bl&ots=XAdQttkc02&sig=SPrlMB_4ggub6N49xR6RTgHk3wI&hl=en&ei=zB0YStrjFsyYtgf0tJDsDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=coercive%20persuasion%2C%20psychology&f=false)
[/spoiler-box]

------------------------------------------------

Lastly, regarding those Christian leaders and sources quoting Matthew: 24:36... I want to remind everyone that they're calling Harold Camping absurd, not because he believes the faithful will raise up bodily out of Earth's gravity well into the sky to be with Jesus somewhere between the Cumulonimbus and Cirrus clouds... not because he believes a third of stars will fall from where they were glued to the firmament, nor because he believes a seven headed beast will rise out of the ocean and terrorize the world, or that Angels will pour out famine and boils upon the world like a liquid substance.

No... he's mocked and called a fool because he had the audacity to set a date.

BIG OLAF
May 22, 2011, 08:15 PM
I feel much the same as Keilyn does on the subject of religion, but I don't outwardly speak of it unless asked, as I know that it usually only starts conflict.

Blue-Hawk
May 22, 2011, 08:20 PM

On a side note, how is this any different from those idiots that still believe that 2012 will be the end? They believed that an ancient people set a date as well. From one book to a calander. Is there a difference in it all? Come 2013 I'll be doing what I did today. Laughing at the same people.

Randomness
May 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Lastly, regarding those Christian leaders and sources quoting Matthew: 24:36... I want to remind everyone that they're calling Harold Camping absurd, not because he believes the faithful will raise up bodily out of Earth's gravity well into the sky to be with Jesus somewhere between the Cumulonimbus and Cirrus clouds... not because he believes a third of stars will fall from where they were glued to the firmament, nor because he believes a seven headed beast will rise out of the ocean and terrorize the world, or that Angels will pour out famine and boils upon the world like a liquid substance.

To be fair, Revelations is generally not considered a prophetic text by scholars, so I feel fine mocking him for most of the rest of the paragraph too.

Sinue_v2
May 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
On a side note, how is this any different from those idiots that still believe that 2012 will be the end?

It's not, really, except in the level of ignorance of Mayan culture and mysticism being far greater than that of Abrahamic religions which have been studied, ripped apart, and argued for millenia. This goes for Western culture in general. The reason why so many people claim alien assistance to the level of sophistication of Mayan society and architecture, but not to Greek and Roman civilizations (which preceded Mayan culture) is because the Greeks and Romans were meticulous record keepers and explained for us how they figured this shit out.

Blue-Hawk
May 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
It's not, really, except in the level of ignorance of Mayan culture and mysticism being far greater than that of Abrahamic religions which have been studied, ripped apart, and argued for millenia. This goes for Western culture in general. The reason why so many people claim alien assistance to the level of sophistication of Mayan society and architecture, but not to Greek and Roman civilizations (which preceded Mayan culture) is because the Greeks and Romans were meticulous record keepers and explained for us how they figured this shit out.

You forget the Egyptions and the populous of Easter Island which, I'm not sure on Easter Island though, predate the Greeks and Romans.

Sinue_v2
May 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
You forget the Egyptions and the populous of Easter Island which, I'm not sure on Easter Island though, predate the Greeks and Romans.

Yeah, as well as the Babylonians and many other ancient cultures which rose to great social, cultural, and architectural prominence over their neighboring people. But we don't have very good records for any of them either. They didn't write down and store their knowledge in great libraries the way the Greeks and Romans did, so we have to rely on outside lines of archeological evidence.

Another culture known for meticulous record keeping that you don't tend to hear much alien intervention accounting for are the various dynasties and kingdoms of ancient China.

McLaughlin
May 23, 2011, 12:42 AM
There's a big difference between actively denying someone their beliefs, and simply not insulating their beliefs by checking your own speech. One is form of overt thought control on the religious, the other is a rejection of social pressures effecting thought control over those who disagree. Some, like Dick Dawkins, can take the latter to a rather douchy extreme... but it's still by no means an attempt to deny others their beliefs. Besides, given the context Keilyn provided, that quote is in response to someone else's assertion of their beliefs on her... and it's perfectly true, concise, and polite. That others get pissed off that someone doesn't believe the same things they do is not her fucking problem.

You know the key difference between a religion and a cult, is that a cult seeks to insulate their members away from previous social and family ties so as to brainwash their new followers without challenge from outside belief systems. If you had a loved one flirting dangerously close to joining a religious cult (Like, say, Heaven's Gate, the Glory Barners, or Scientology) would you not speak up and try to talk them out of it? Would you accept and respect their crazy beliefs, even unto the point where it does harm to them, out of fear of not being a bigot?

Note:
[spoiler-box]
Many elements of Coercive Persuasion employed by cults are cornerstones of major religions: example, Christianity.

Application of Physical/Emotional Stress:
You're born a sinner and will burn in hell for eternity.

Solution to all Problems is a simple answer:
Jesus Christ died for your sins, if you accept him.

Unconditional Love/Acceptance:
Jesus loves everyone, even the most wretched. No sin is unforgivable in a repentant heart. The flock will welcome you back.

Creation of a new Identity:
Being Born Again/Adopting the name of a Saint during Confirmation.

Entrapment:
Weakly incorporated depending on denomination... but still present in the form of increasingly absurd rituals and duties you must accept including the Eucharist, Tithing, Political goading, etc. Most noticeable in Fundamentalist interpretations.

Restriction of Information:
Weakly incorporated depending on denomination. Most Christian churches are prolific enough that they hold substantial sway over the local community and government, providing a "belief bubble" that reduces the need for a central leader/authority to declare certain information restricted/dangerous. Some still try to use political avenues to restrict those scientific discoveries (or prevent them from being taught to students) which contradict scripture, such as Evolution, Embryology, Climate Change, Cosmology, etc. Homeschooling/Religious Private Schools highly recommended. Mingling and learning of other faiths is sometimes dissuaded, as are certain "Un-Christian" forms of media. Most noticeable in Fundamentalist interpretations.

Popular Psychology: An Encyclopedia. By Luis A. Cordón (http://books.google.com/books?id=Uy1gmwcAgg4C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=coercive+persuasion,+psychology&source=bl&ots=XAdQttkc02&sig=SPrlMB_4ggub6N49xR6RTgHk3wI&hl=en&ei=zB0YStrjFsyYtgf0tJDsDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=coercive%20persuasion%2C%20psychology&f=false)
[/spoiler-box]

------------------------------------------------

My post was directed at the asinine joke, not Camping.

Fayorei
May 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
I feel much the same as Keilyn does on the subject of religion, but I don't outwardly speak of it unless asked, as I know that it usually only starts conflict.

Same here. I'm one that believes the quote "Choose your battles wisely."

Keilyn
May 23, 2011, 07:04 AM
I speak my mind, but not to offend but to remind others that each has a choice for "Faith."

I will never allow any religious organization or any entity for that matter to take it upon themselves to dictate to me that the only faith which exists is one towards a divine being. My faith is for my friends, family and personal abilities.

I don't care if I was created or born. All I know is I am here and this is now. I don't need anything else.

To me, it becomes an important battle as I have many religious friends who I can tell they look down upon me since I don't pick up some object of worship, along with some text and go to some building where I sit in a funny position and talk to myself thinking the sky is hearing me.

Not once do I act or tell people that their "religion" is wrong openly, but I deal with it everyday....people from all directions attempting to tell me "I am wrong and evil for casting faith in others rather than a Divine being"

McLaughlin
May 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
I will never allow any religious organization or any entity for that matter to take it upon themselves to dictate to me that the only faith which exists is one towards a divine being.

Don't be a hypocrite by turning around and doing the exact same thing to everyone who does believe in something. The best way to deal with people who do this is to not deal with them at all.

Alucard V
May 23, 2011, 07:44 AM
To each his own Keilyn but I've read to many myths to pass it off as nothing. Nor do I put full faith in there word.

All I can say is in the past mankind was visited a race of beings that were beyond description. But people try'd any way. As people always do. To try and some up what mankind doesn't understand. That's religion.

But to give them a name, to call them gods.....
I kinda wish they didn't.

Jeuno
May 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Aww! I'm late to the End of the World thread! I so should have logged in to join the convo, but alas, my End of the World was very uneventful. I woke up, didn't see tiny peoples floating through the sky, and decided to have my own zombie apocalypse by killing zombies all day in Left 4 Dead 2. Oooh, and THEN I got a call for a booking, so I KNEW there would be a tomorrow... which was yesterday... and today's today. Life goes on. :)

Delete
May 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0s358b3Ys

Milla
May 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
YouTube - &#x202a;Doomsday - Friday song parody&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0s358b3Ys)

Sometimes i wish the world would end after hearing stuff like Friday, Lol only joking >.>.

But seriously that actually sounds better than the original even though its about death and the end of the world.

Gunslinger-08
May 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
Not once do I act or tell people that their "religion" is wrong openly, but I deal with it everyday....people from all directions attempting to tell me "I am wrong and evil for casting faith in others rather than a Divine being"

Then the problem is that you're surrounded by the most stereotypical asshat Christians out there. Sadly, they get all the face time on the news and in the media, which is a shame, since they're not a very accurate representation of the rest of us. That said, some of your posts in this thread did read like veiled insults.

Also:
http://constitutionclub.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/awkward.jpg

I lol'd.

Sinue_v2
May 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
My post was directed at the asinine joke, not Camping.

That's good, because my response to you was directed at your reply to Keilyn specifically. I don't know where you got the idea that I was replying to you thinking you were talking about Camping.

The "--------" divider was intended to mean I was done replying to you and wanted to make a separate point to a more general audience without having to resort to a double-post.

To each his own Keilyn but I've read to many myths to pass it off as nothing. ~ All I can say is in the past mankind was visited a race of beings that were beyond description.

I don't think that's a defensible position, as there's simply no evidence to suggest that such is the case. From what I can tell, many of the common themes and occurrences in the various religions tend to either come from a common psychological base (human nature) or from civilizations which come into contact and trade/conquest with each other. With the records we have, you can see where threads and ideas are introduced as societies collide, diverge, mix, and collide again. It's a pattern roughly analogous to the development of language, or perhaps (to give a better mental image) the pattern of fossil remains in the various layers of strata that allow us to reconstruct the full territory of prehistoric animals and see where the continents used to be joined.

You might want to look up some of the work of Joseph Campbell and his lectures on comparitive mythology. There's a video series on Netflix called Mythos I & II (55 mins each, 5 episodes per volume) which might be worth a look as a brief introduction. Mythos I deals with paleolitic and ancient religions up to the roots of the Abrahamic tradition and merging of the Pagan ideals with established Christianity during the early church and later Enlightenment/Renaissance. Volume II deals with the core tennants and origins of the Eastern religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

Ark22
May 23, 2011, 06:58 PM
You guys are trippin enough said. Now let's throw a "We are not dead" Party

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
May 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
This is painful to see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13516796

So he's reverted to his 21st October prediction. Saying God did arrive last Saturday. Even though previous statements were God would manifest himself phsycially etc. But I guess nobody saw that. 200 million people weren't beamed up to heaven. He stated however that this May 21st date, that they mercilessly marketed all over the globe was never stated as the end of the world date and that the end date was always referred to as October 21st.

The most sickening statement he made was this:

Asked if he had any advice to offer those who had given away their material wealth in the belief the world was about to end, Mr Camping said they would cope.

"We just had a great recession. There's lots of people who lost their jobs, lots of people who lost their houses... and somehow they all survived," he said."

No doubt his hardline followers will again take up this date, spend more money and try and scare people into believing in God...it's such an old tactic. But when we get to 22nd October without incident he'll probably hop on board the 2012 bandwagon....and when that fails to manifest another date will shortly take it's place.

Never under-estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Tifa

Delete
May 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
I just recently heard about that. :wacko:

I'm a Christian myself (Im not a super religious person, but it is my belief) and there is one thing I would like to point out, the world is not supposed to just end >_>

For all the Christians out there, there supposed to be a series of events before that happens. The moon will turn to blood, 3 days of darkness, etc. Also, no one knows when this is going to happen. Even the 2012 hoax is just people guessing. It'll happen when it happens.

Also, since most Christian people would know that, what type of religious group would be following this man I wonder?

Blue-Hawk
May 24, 2011, 07:28 AM
Notice how he still claims it's the 21'st? Same as the 2012 morons?

What is the fascination with the numbers 12 and 21 for humanity? 5/21/2011. 10/21/1011. 12/21/2012. Notice all the 1's and 2's in the dates?

McLaughlin
May 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
That's good, because my response to you was directed at your reply to Keilyn specifically. I don't know where you got the idea that I was replying to you thinking you were talking about Camping.

Admittedly I did a poor job of reading the first time.

Keilyn started off by likening religious people to terrorists. It was an incredibly combative stance to take right from the get-go. He/she came back with a fairer point that everyone is free to their own interpretation of the Bible, but then implies that those who analyse it and choose to believe it anyway have interpreted it incorrectly. They then returned another with another snide comment in which they assert religious people are fools and idiots. Throughout the entire thread, no one ever challenged this very adversarial tone, so in the context of the thread it's completely uncalled for, and in the context of life, are we really going to play the "eye for an eye" game? In truth, Keilyn has been doing the exact same thing he/she (and everyone else, I imagine) hates having done to them; having their intelligence and beliefs insulted simply because they differ from someone else's.

As far as debating the definition of bigot; "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion". Throughout the entire thread Keilyn has been incredibly intolerant of any religious views. I'm not sure where all the talk of insulation of thought and thought control came from, please clarify for me if I've misunderstood the point of the above quotation.

Up to the point where it's clear my loved one is being taken advantage of, I see no reason why I should actively try to convince them their beliefs are wrong. For all the talk of cults above, I'd say there's a distinction to be made between religions and scams. If my loved one wants to believe that when they die their body will perpetually dance to Thriller, why should I challenge them? When someone tells my loved one they need to donate their life savings to ensure that their corpse does indeed do the Thriller dance, I'll talk them out of the scam, not the belief behind it.

Additionally, am I automatically a bigot if I attempt to sway their belief? I have no fear of being a bigot because I'm not intolerant of opinions and ideas that differ from my own. You can have a discussion about religion without running around screaming LOL CHRISTIANS/JEWS/MUSLIMS/WHATEVER ARE SO STUPID I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY BELIEVE ALL THAT GARBAGE, which is exactly what Keilyn has been doing the entire time.

Akaimizu
May 24, 2011, 08:42 AM
To tell the truth, this is what a lot of the internet does the entire time. Yeah, some people get surrounded in real life by people who happen act as jerks, however the internet is full of jerks reciprocating what they deal with locally on everybody else. Then a bunch of jerks repeating that stuff to be jerks. Those with religious beliefs are constantly attacked on a great majority of supposedly neutral forums, everywhere.

Just that everybody seems to look at themselves, think they have it bad, and expect the junk not to stink as much the other way around. When that is far from the truth. I would believe both sides would belive it's better to treat others the way you'd want to be treated. Look, the buttheads that shout the loudest will always hit the airwaves, be the people who annoy you, etc. Once people realize that it just people doing that, not indicative of any specific beliefs other than them trying to shout how better they are than someone else; perhaps those debates will cool down, at least outside of the political center that's (no matter how you view it) full of hot air.

Gunslinger-08
May 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
You can have a discussion about religion without running around screaming LOL CHRISTIANS/JEWS/MUSLIMS/WHATEVER ARE SO STUPID I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY BELIEVE ALL THAT GARBAGE, which is exactly what Keilyn has been doing the entire time.

I'm glad someone else pointed it out...

Anywhoo, I do get a kick out of the whole "just kidding, guys!" attitude that our dear prophet has adopted since the rapture didn't happen on Saturday...

Jehosaphaty
May 24, 2011, 09:23 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/5755091952_558373630b.jpg

this could, potentially, be the source of the matter.

it's the ears.

Randomness
May 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
I just recently heard about that. :wacko:

I'm a Christian myself (Im not a super religious person, but it is my belief) and there is one thing I would like to point out, the world is not supposed to just end >_>

For all the Christians out there, there supposed to be a series of events before that happens. The moon will turn to blood, 3 days of darkness, etc. Also, no one knows when this is going to happen. Even the 2012 hoax is just people guessing. It'll happen when it happens.

Also, since most Christian people would know that, what type of religious group would be following this man I wonder?

Revelations is not prophetic.

Sinue_v2
May 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
Keilyn started off by likening religious people to terrorists. It was an incredibly combative stance to take right from the get-go.

This is going back a bit further into the thread than my original scope of response, but ok. I don't think it's my duty or obligation to defend Keilyn overall behavior on this... but as someone who understands where she is coming from, there are a few points I'd like to address. I agree that the likening to Religious believers (in general) to Terrorists is stretching the definition of the word to it's limits. Then again, Terrorism is a bit like Fascism in that it doesn't really have a singular legal or universally agreed upon definition. Whereas Fascism is often used as a synonymn for "Bully", "Terrorism" is similarly used as a blanket term for those who use threats (like hell) to inspire fear and insecurity in others so as to push their own agendas.

Albeit, this is a weak stance, since you cannot instill the fear of hell in those who don't believe it exists.

He/she came back with a fairer point that everyone is free to their own interpretation of the Bible

Fun Fact: Actually, you don't... depending on denomination. The first man to translate the Bible into English, William Tyndale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tyndale), was burned at the stake for having the audacity to think that every man should be able to read the bible in their native tounge. Even in colonial America where puritanical movements away from a central church authority was the core of the movement, "dissenters" like Anne Hutchinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Hutchinson) were seen as threats to community cohesion and were persecuted.

but then implies that those who analyse it and choose to believe it anyway have interpreted it incorrectly. They then returned another with another snide comment in which they assert religious people are fools and idiots.

... just like every fractured denomination in disagreement out there? Just like we are doing with Harold Camping and his "foolish and idiotic" interpretation? While I wouldn't go so far as to say those who believe (in general) are fools and idiots, I definitely don't think they're evaluating the situation rationally. And I think a lot of foolish and idiotic shit goes on in this world which is substantiated by religious belief.

"If you can get people to believe in absurdities, you can get them to commit atrocities" ~ Voltaire

Throughout the entire thread, no one ever challenged this very adversarial tone, so in the context of the thread it's completely uncalled for, and in the context of life, are we really going to play the "eye for an eye" game?

At it's core (and this might get the thread shut, though I hope not) this entire thread is about mocking other people's religious beliefs. Not the beliefs of anyone who posts on PSO-World, I don't think, but there it is. So I don't blame her for using this thread as a place to vent frustration, and by seeing her post history, she's not one to inject her criticisms where they are not appropriate. I am by far more guilty of this behavior than she.

I'm not sure where all the talk of insulation of thought and thought control came from, please clarify for me if I've misunderstood the point of the above quotation.

The idea being that if everyone who disagreed with anyone else just kept their criticisms and opinions to themselves, then there would be no chance for anyone to change their minds or re-evaluate their positions, because they would censored from conflicting information and views out of fear of "offending" a second party. However, given the high percentage of Christian beliefs (at least here in America), there is this illusion of being right and in consensus by majority. Dissenting views from that majority are often seen as bigotry, whereas the highly offensive rhetoric and bigotry of the majority are overlooked as the status-quo. It literally doesn't even enter the consciousness of many people when they say it, but yet Atheists, Deists, Agnostics, and other free thinkers are supposed to constantly be on guard to watch their speech out of fear of being a bigot and offending the majority?

That's called a double standard, and I for one would like to see it ended. Bigotry? Excuse me for being blunt here, but you have very little room to calling out the bigot label on someone who's venting frustration while living in a country where Atheists are the time and time again polled as the most feared and hated minority in America. Where there are still states in the union where Atheists cannot legally hold elected office. Where, within the memory of many users here, then President George Bush Sr. stood before a large audience in Chicago and stated that he didn't think Atheists should even be considered citizens.

People need to speak up and make their voices and frustrations heard, regardless of whether or not it offends others. It would be preferable if it was done in a civil manner, but no apologies should be offered for having dissenting view.

Up to the point where it's clear my loved one is being taken advantage of, I see no reason why I should actively try to convince them their beliefs are wrong.

And you don't think we view individuals and society at large as being taken advantage of by irrational and (often) fraudulent religious beliefs and schemes? Whether it be the burning of libraries setting us back 1,000 years of technological advancement in the ancient world, or the dangers of Dominion theologies in stalling advancement on sustainable global resource use and lasting peace between Israel and Palestine?

For all the talk of cults above, I'd say there's a distinction to be made between religions and scams. If my loved one wants to believe that when they die their body will perpetually dance to Thriller, why should I challenge them? When someone tells my loved one they need to donate their life savings to ensure that their corpse does indeed do the Thriller dance, I'll talk them out of the scam, not the belief behind it.

Religion is rarely so benign, at least in the western tradition. What if your loved one had Cancer or some other deadly disease and earnestly believed the Thriller dance could cure them of cancer, and that proper medical attention was a sin against the Great Zombie in Red? That if they should die, that it is the Great Zombie's will and you should respect his decision. It's not all about money you know. What if there was a large group of believers in the Thriller Dance in your community, and they pushed for the passing of laws and policies to inject their mystical rhythmic necromancy doctrines into biology class and onto your children?

You can have a discussion about religion without running around screaming LOL CHRISTIANS/JEWS/MUSLIMS/WHATEVER ARE SO STUPID I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY BELIEVE ALL THAT GARBAGE, which is exactly what Keilyn has been doing the entire time.

Keilyn does lack tact in the matter, though I understand the sentiment. Apparently, you've never had Psalms 14:1 (The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good) thrown at you repeatedly. There's quite a few passages with a similar tone, and they come up in discussion far ~FAR~ more often than you might think... even from normally non-bigoted and empathetic people. The only difference is that Keilyn saying it makes her accountable for her own words. A Christian saying that has a defense mechanism built in to pass it off as "Oh, I'm not saying it... God is. Hate the Sin not the Sinner!" It's a loosely veiled diffusion of responsibility at worst, and an ignorant apologetic at best.

And personally, I don't understand why religious folk should get upset at their views being called irrational. Belief in the supernatural is, by necessity, a suspension of rational thought. As a Deist (I do believe in God, though I think yours is a counterfeit of human invention), I value reason as a tool by which to separate what is from what isn't. It's been abundantly clear to me for some time that reason cannot validate the existence of a god. Therefore, my belief is irrational. I don't consider this, however, to be a mark of shame or a fault until I let my irrational beliefs cloud my rational evaluation of the world around me. This is something intrinsic to religious belief wherein it contains doctrines and scriptures.

str898mustang
May 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
never seen a thread go from short posts to epIC TL.DR posts