PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's because I'm borderline drunk already, but...

Ketchup345
May 24, 2011, 12:54 AM
Maybe it's because I'm borderline drunk already, but I want to try some Garlic Wine (as feature on James May's Road Trip). I think it'd go great with some Italian bread and roasted garlic used as a spread.

I also may start substituting wine for milk in my cereal.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 24, 2011, 01:10 AM
[spoiler-box]
Maybe you'd like to come visit?
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/GotWine.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Ketchup345
May 24, 2011, 01:14 AM
Plenty of bottles there, sadly my wine class taught me to distrust anything with Mondavi's name on it (professor was very much in favor of the wines being made to the grower's standards, not Mondavi's/critics).

Besides that one wine, have a spare couch? :wacko:

HUnewearl_Meira
May 24, 2011, 01:22 AM
I dunno what your professor is on about. That Mondavi stuff is rather good. Those bottles are from 2001, too.

<_<

As a matter of fact, my father is something of a low to mid-level executive at the company which owns Mondavi. I get a great deal of free wine. Sometimes stuff that can't be bought, too.

SpikeOtacon
May 24, 2011, 01:35 AM
I need to expand my horizons a bit into the wine category. I've spent time exploring the worlds of all the liquors, and beers just to see a slice of what is out there for each one. But wine, other than having some yellow tail stuff and a few non-alcoholics at family gatherings I haven't gone much into the world of wine. Got any favorites that would satisfy a nose that enjoys merlots and other reds?

Ketchup345
May 24, 2011, 01:42 AM
I need to expand my horizons a bit into the wine category. I've spent time exploring the worlds of all the liquors, and beers just to see a slice of what is out there for each one. But wine, other than having some yellow tail stuff and a few non-alcoholics at family gatherings I haven't gone much into the world of wine. Got any favorites that would satisfy a nose that enjoys merlots and other reds?

Reds? Sorry, not much of a help there. Nasty white addiction here.
If I remember correctly, Shiraz/Syrah (same thing) can be good. With reds remember age matters.

Palle
May 24, 2011, 01:49 AM
Whenever my brother comes out to visit, we drive around Napa or Sonoma county lookin' for wine leads. For him, not me. I'm a cognac man.

Anyway. The last trip we hit up 7 or 8 places. He was quite taken with Anaba's (http://www.anabawines.com/story.html) viognier.

Sord
May 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
I can't claim to have tried any high-class wine, but out of the lower class stuff I have had, I've never liked, both red or white. I prefer vodka and whiskey.

TalHex
May 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
Mmm... I'm a big fan of dry red wines. I don't really know enough about them to recommend any, but I do enjoy a glass with dinner *nod*

HUnewearl_Meira
May 24, 2011, 04:06 PM

Franciscan (http://www.franciscan.com/wines?orderby=PXPC.DisplayOrder%20Asc,%20P.Product Name%20ASC&startrow=1) has some good stuff at relatively affordable prices. Consider Mondavi or Opus One, if you want to spend some money.