PDA

View Full Version : Ideal classes for GAMs?

Galax
May 24, 2011, 03:04 PM
Before you say anything about stickies or forum search, I tried both. No luck.

With that out of the way, I was curious what classes are ideal for Stage 1 GAM missions; I haven't got any many friends that're willing to do them, and knowing my leveling pace, the servers'll be shut down before I ever hit a level cap. I've tried Wartecher on Plains Overlord/R, due to it being my highest class, but...didn't quite work out.

Might help if I list some class levels, I guess.

Male Newman with Classes highest to lowest levels,
Wartecher at 19
Fortetecher at 13
Guntecher at 12,
Hunter, Ranger, Force at 10 each
Fortegunner and Acrotecher at 9 each
Fighgunner at 6,
Acrofighter at 3,
Protranser at 2,
and Masterforce, Gunmaster, Fighmaster, Fortefighter are all at 1.
Gunmaster, Fighmaster aren't unlocked yet.

I know I'll get nothing done in a solo run, but I was wondering what'd be good to use. At this moment, Wartecher obviously holds the highest HP, but that did me very little good.

Suggestions welcome!

Nereid
May 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
In all honestly wait until you have multiple classes maxed out. Masterforce is pretty solid in most GAMs, Acrotecher is good for many, Guntecher can be good, too. You will be way more useful with solid PAs, so worry about maxing out some classes and leveling up your PAs, first.

Galax
May 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
In all honestly wait until you have multiple classes maxed out. Masterforce is pretty solid in most GAMs, Acrotecher is good for many, Guntecher can be good, too. You will be way more useful with solid PAs, so worry about maxing out some classes and leveling up your PAs, first.

Trust me, I know that; I've been working madly on Bullets and Techs. My largest issue is I like certain classes, and they don't always work out. I'm quite glad to hear Guntecher being useful; That and Wartecher have always been personal favorites of mine.

As for 'solid PAs', I've got a selection when it comes to shotgun and machineguns in particular; The only Mechgun bullet I'm missing is Ice, whereas my shotguns all have atleast the lv11-20 range going for them, with the exceptions of Lightning (40), Fire (21), Dark (22), and Ice (28). Bow Bullets are coming along nicely; three of them in the 11-20 range but the issue lies with the fact that those are favored weapons. My Rifle has two bullets; Fire and Mayalee, which causes sleep, because I'm comfortable with those.

Nereid
May 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
You're on the right track, just keep leveling up your classes and your PAs will follow. I believe Xbox is getting a PA and EXP boost to the GBR in this coming update, that should help you out some. There are also always people on the 3rd Floor in Universe 2 on Xbox wanting to run GAMs, you just need to look.

Good luck!

TheAstarion
May 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Wartecher is a great class for GAM if you're a CAST, or a female Beast, because it gives you a Serafi-Senba, and the relatively broken S-rank slots that come with it, at 20/20. They also get some nice GAM-friendly weapons like Splasher with its delicious stun, and Twin Falclaws with... also delicious stun. As a Newman you might need some boosts to get any decent equips at lv20 though.

You might want to muck about with Fortetecher, they don't get any really good armour but even with a B-rank armour you should be able to rock a gi/smart or me/quick, which are cheap right now. You also can pack your lv40 buffs, which do help a party by a decent amount. You should be able to use most of your rods (though your bows & cards are straight out th window) without any GAS poured into TP+, and at type level 20 you only need 1 or 2 TP+ to equip the Psycho. And since type level 20 TP for Masterforce and Fortetecher are basically identical (1 point difference at lv180, 2 points for female) this counts for both classes.

Some people go as far as to make a GAM class; for quite a few people this is Fortegunner for access to A-rank armour and grenade launchers, both of which Gunmaster lacks. They can then pump up their DFP for S-rank armour and units. As you get AEXP in GAMs, it may be worth spending it on things like this; making your situational class more suited to the situation.

Oh, and avoid Protranser. As much as it's one of my favourite classes ingame, in GAM it just seems to... well, it's pretty much gimped the most by GAM rules against EX traps; where this would be the perfect place to (ab)use them.

Lastly, as a Newman, you're probably used to when to stay the hell away from enemies and not die, so you should be able to add the necessary level of caution to a party no matter what class you end up in.

Orosan
May 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
As a male human wartecher my only real problem spots where the hordes of vahra's(accompanied by sworded ones) specially on the final block of the mission(right in the beggining and just before the boss). Tried different weapons but the best one i found was a 10/10 sacred dusters with Bogga Robado. Is the only s-rank knuckles I can bring in the mission. Using the dusters it take only a few secs to kill them. That's with A-rank Line shield, so no s-rank arm slot unit. The rest of the enemies should be fairly easy if you use s-rank daggers like Deva-Zashi and 50% a rank whips(Plenty in player shops).

The Boss is the easiest part for a Wartecher. Whips to attack in the ground, and Longbow to attack in air(Usually I can kill it before it takes flight while soloing). I prefer Chousei-sou for the bow because I don't have to worry about the element and gives a boost in accuracy.

Do wear high % Fire armor, but still be careful not to get hit in a row with fire. The stun idea sounds good too, although I never tried it.

Omega-z
May 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wartecher is not bad for most GAM's there are some run's that will give trouble. I did PO/ R as a Lv. 1 Hunter and still S ranked it. When starting out anything will be hard at first but working on it you can overcome it. I use to take 650 dmg form Sworded Varha and died in two to one hit's if it was critical. Now it does 0 dmg even buffed on top of the the sworded boost. %'s in GAM's are cut in half so makes it harder to get through. DFP & MST are good in GAM's so don't over look them. Oh by the way I'm a Male Cast Wartecher; I even have dropped some massive TP dmg by taking out my weakness. It helps when one's MST is higher then a Female Neuman Masterforce. :)

Galax
May 24, 2011, 07:55 PM
I thank you all very much for the advice, but I guess I left out a few key bits of info...
My character is level 110.
I don't have a Psycho Wand.
I don't have Sacred Dusters anymore, either.
I'll need to put time into Buff parties; I've always relied on a quick Megistaride, personally, although I knew the effort of leveling buffs would be well worth it.
As for Bows, I haven't got an issue getting a set of B-Rank bows and grinding the hell out of them to get one with decent stats.
Cards aren't that much of an asset to me in the first place; My only bullet is Masei-Shiki, giving the effect of Zalure.

Okay fine, more than a few bits...But yeah.

One question I should ask, however, is this - Is it worthwhile to pack a Handgun, seeing as I have my Mayalee Hit at the 31-40 range? If I use Guntecher or Fortegunner, that bullet may be quite a lifesaver.

Nereid
May 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
Not really, once you level other bullets to that level they will drastically out perform it.

Galax
May 25, 2011, 01:37 PM
Not really, once you level other bullets to that level they will drastically out perform it.

I don't mean damage wise; Mayalee Hit's allure lies in it's HP Recov effect. If aimed properly, it can also hit two targets, much like a Shotgun does, only harder to pull off.

Omega-z
May 25, 2011, 07:01 PM
Mayalee Hit can be useful in GAM's to keep yourself alive, Just Strife with it to get the most use out of it. It's more of a Balancing game with GAM's especially Soloing. Yeah for PO/ R you don't need Cards as much and Bow's are great even B rank in that mish. you don't need SD claws just use Ice type Vahra claws with a good % , get a couple of Splashers ice and earth use Beefedge Raria with good % or DB saber from Mag trade. and since your a Neuman use Barta type spells. When Soloing don't over do it and put yourself in harm's way, just hit then strife around then repeat at times run away to hit from a distance to use the map against them. this will change when you get stronger with GAS and use better weapons/armor. :rappy:

Galax
May 25, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm quite aware of how to use my spells and attacks effectively, and quite aware that I can improve upon my classes through GAMs; Why else would I attempt them? Sorry, slightly frustrating to have heard that same kind of thing over and over; I get down to a specific, and one person, knowingly or, more often, not knowingly, says how I should use it, or how to do this, etc...I've got it. Thanks. I know what elements affect what, I figure Spasher's are nearly a requirement if I plan to attempt Wartecher. I've tested them. I've also tested my own tactics when it comes to pallet setups. I have to break a habit of setting up my pallet for each class. If I'm playing Wartecher or Guntecher, and I have a Bow on my pallet, it has to be on Slot 6; It doesn't feel right, it disrupts my playstyle otherwise. Resta/Reverser Wand ends up in Slot 2, Guntecher has it coupled with a Crossbow, Wartecher with a Pistol. I can't shake these. This is how I play. It throws off my GAM performance, obviously.

But before all of that, I need to train.
Train my bullets.
Train my techs.
Train my character.
Train my classes.
And therein lies the issue. I've had times of being stuck with White Beast because my system sucks. About 4 months of nothing but WB and Sacred Stream? Excellent way to train classes, right? Except at the time, this character was stuck with Fortegunner.

Long rant aside, I guess, I just needed class suggestions; I've gotten that. I'll probably be able to figure out pallet setups from here. Thanks for the input.

Orosan
May 25, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm quite aware of how to use my spells and attacks effectively, and quite aware that I can improve upon my classes through GAMs; Why else would I attempt them? Sorry, slightly frustrating to have heard that same kind of thing over and over; I get down to a specific, and one person, knowingly or, more often, not knowingly, says how I should use it, or how to do this, etc...I've got it. Thanks. I know what elements affect what, I figure Spasher's are nearly a requirement if I plan to attempt Wartecher. I've tested them. I've also tested my own tactics when it comes to pallet setups. I have to break a habit of setting up my pallet for each class. If I'm playing Wartecher or Guntecher, and I have a Bow on my pallet, it has to be on Slot 6; It doesn't feel right, it disrupts my playstyle otherwise. Resta/Reverser Wand ends up in Slot 2, Guntecher has it coupled with a Crossbow, Wartecher with a Pistol. I can't shake these. This is how I play. It throws off my GAM performance, obviously.

But before all of that, I need to train.
Train my bullets.
Train my techs.
Train my character.
Train my classes.
And therein lies the issue. I've had times of being stuck with White Beast because my system sucks. About 4 months of nothing but WB and Sacred Stream? Excellent way to train classes, right? Except at the time, this character was stuck with Fortegunner.

Long rant aside, I guess, I just needed class suggestions; I've gotten that. I'll probably be able to figure out pallet setups from here. Thanks for the input.

Don't be frustrated. They are just trying to be nice and help you. The truth is that all classes can be succesful if played correctly, and although I can't say that your way of playing Wartecher, for example, it's wrong(play it any way you wish, it's the beauty of this game), I can tell you that there is a more efficient way to play it. That's all what we are trying to say about all the classes that you have.

An example of this is that I would never use guns with wartecher because I can do much more damage with other weapons. Wartecher is not ideal for guns IMO, but if you want to use them I see no problems with it. Is your character and nobody can force you to play it in a way you are not comfortable with.

But one thing I can tell you. I got really good at Wartecher when I tried weapons that I had ignored before(eg Whips and cards), and later ended up loving them. So if there are some weapon types you haven't tried yet do so. Maybe you'll find which class fits your style best, and maybe you'll be surprised at the class that you feel more comfortable with.

PS. Trying my best not to patronize you. I'm almost 45 yrs old and sometimes I talk like a parent talking to his children. Not trying to do that at all. BTW my son is 19 yrs old and used to play PSO and PSU. He learned from me :) .

milranduil
May 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
Of those listed, I would recommend putting effort into Fortegunner the most since you at least have that partially leveled. All you would need are a couple shotguns, a spear, a dagger, and a grenade (for boss). Hell you could even use the same shotgun for boss if you wanted to (shotgun rips anything apart really as long as they aren't bullet-resistant, which De Ragan is not).

EDIT: This is assuming you want to run PO/R.

NiceOnes
May 26, 2011, 11:53 AM
I don't mean damage wise; Mayalee Hit's allure lies in it's HP Recov effect. If aimed properly, it can also hit two targets, much like a Shotgun does, only harder to pull off.

Or you could pop a monomate.

Fortetecher with 50% armor (I was using Ageha-Senba's with Me / Quick) is the way to go until you manage +4 DFP which will allow your Masterforce to equip Baji-Senba or Orpa-Senba.

Long story short though is that the key here is class level. I frown at people running GAM with anything less than LVL 20 class level.

Good luck!

Midori Oku
May 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Fortetecher with 50% armor (I was using Ageha-Senba's with Me / Quick) is the way to go until you manage +4 DFP which will allow your Masterforce to equip Baji-Senba or Orpa-Senba.

Good luck!

Ummmm, why waste upgrade space on DFP+ lvl4 when lvl 3 lets you use a Crisla-senba? Crisla-senba is better than the Orpa-senba, Baji-senba, and Serafi-senba.

Omega-z
May 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Sorry GalaxTheWanderer for getting you upset that was not my intent. I guess I'm in the same boat as Orosan since I'm a Father too. You'll do great in what you want for your playstyle.:)

Galax
May 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
@Omega-z, I know it's not your intent; Trust me, I know. It's just me having heard (well, read would be a more accurate term) that same thing so many times over. You couldn't have known.

Anyway...
@NiceOnes, I can only pop so many monomates; Eventually they run out. So does the PP on my handgun, yes, but it regenerates; Monomates don't. I can't just put trust in the fact that monomates do drop commonly; It's better to have a backup on hand. I was trying to figure out if it'd be worthwhile, seeing as you have to hit a certain amount of damage for the HP recov to take place. I guess it's a percent of the damage you did, but..Meh.

@Midori Oku, I'd say because not everyone can afford a Crisla-Senba; I'd just go with what I can get my hands on, and not worry about what better boost the other gives until I need a better armor. I'm generally pretty broke, so I make due with what funds I have, which means I don't own the best. Ever.

@adios, Fortegunner is a class I can train, but a lot of what I choose relies on the comfort and familiarity of the class I play as. Fortegunner is only at lv9 because I was forced to play it for a time, being unable to access the 5th floor. I can't stand it, personally. I guess that's because it, like the other Forte classes, is focused on ONE type of attack. That, and it lacks Resta.

@Orosan, I know nobody's forcing anything on me, and that all it is a nice gesture; It's what I call the baggage effect. I've heard it 20 times over, it automatically brings on a feeling of 'Again? -_-'. As for me, I use Wartecher for a few reasons. One, it was, indeed, my first 'advanced' class; Two, I've never been comfortable with Melee, but having the ability to back up and use something like Cards to cover a retreat is extremely tempting. My biggest issue with Wartecher is my character choice; A Newman. It doesn't work as well as my first one, who was a Beast, did; I just became annoyed with '0, 0, 0, 0, 0' from attacking with Cards. 'Covering my retreat' doesn't work so well when enemies don't even take a hit ;p.

The most important thing to me is enjoying the game. I don't enjoy being 'the best.' I probably wouldn't be playing Newman Wartecher if I did; I don't get entertainment from smacking the enemy twice and killing it. That's probably why GAMs are so appealing in the first place. I CAN'T smack an enemy twice, or even thrice, and watch it fall. I don't get the damage in to pull that off. I make the most of the game when I can't get easy kills, and even moreso when I have a team.

EDIT: As for being great at whatever playstyle I choose, that's debatable ;p

milranduil
May 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
Unwilling to stretch your horizons makes it difficult for people to even ponder what advice to give you...if you're so set on the way you play, then why ask for help?

NiceOnes
May 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Ummmm, why waste upgrade space on DFP+ lvl4 when lvl 3 lets you use a Crisla-senba? Crisla-senba is better than the Orpa-senba, Baji-senba, and Serafi-senba.

Purely price point. 50% Crisla-Senba's are rare and worth a rainbow set of Orpa's.

Omega-z
May 28, 2011, 02:54 PM
I find Interesting that the play style is the same way I look at it. That I rather fight the foe instead of nuking it. If I wanted to do that I'd play C runs. lol I don't worry about ATP, ATA, or TP so much but more in the actual strength of the class I play and that's Defense, which most would say it's a waste but I seem to like the out come with it. I have to say it's fun knocking up, down or away the monster in a fight instead of a cloud of spaz. but it's hard of having that these days when running with others so I just deal with it, It's fun talking and joking with others too. lol Probably why I solo more who knows lol.