PDA

View Full Version : Online only?

Milla
May 28, 2011, 07:23 AM
Not sure if this has been confirmed online only or not, if it has feel free to correct me.

Anyway I'm just wondering if you guys would prefer PSO2 to be online only like BB, offline and online but with exclusive online missions like PSO or have an offline story completely separate to your online character like PSU. I personally prefer how PSO handled it but i also wouldn't mind if it did turn out online only which it probably will.

So...thoughts?

*Note* This is not a PSO vs PSU or Consoles vs PC thread. A group of highly trained cats will be sent out if these gets mentioned, you have been warned.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 07:30 AM
Pspo2 was both and I'm sure everyone wants to be able to play offline but nothing has been confirmed outside of it being online obviously.

Milla
May 28, 2011, 07:33 AM
Pspo2 was both and I'm sure everyone wants to be able to play offline but nothing has been confirmed outside of it being online obviously.

Was gonna mention PSP2 but its basically the same as PSO.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 07:39 AM
Yeah I played offline a bunch on pspo2 but that was mostly when I couldn't find a wifi hotspot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go the BB route and be completely online only.

KodiaX987
May 28, 2011, 07:58 AM
PSO-style online-offline combo, and over my dead body if they want to do otherwise.

I sank a large portion of offline hours, and this contributed to my view of the game's longevity long after the servers were gone.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah I wish Blue Burst had offline.

RenzokukenZ
May 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
I'd prefer PSO's style as well, where offline and online are interjoined and not separate modes.

It makes sense to have the game as online only since its PC exclusive, but a bit of wishful thinking wouldn't hurt.

Miyoko
May 28, 2011, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see any offline play happening. It's just too difficult to be able to control character hacking offline then bringing it online. I expect them to take another step towards MMO-style and have it all be serverside again

•Col•
May 28, 2011, 01:52 PM
Online is the only thing confirmed... But if Online/Offline was interjoined then that would most likely mean hacking galore.

So if they did have an Offline mode, it'd probably be completely separate from the Online mode like PSU.... Which I think was stupid. I wish they'd just let you "download" your character to use in the Offline mode id you wanted to.

Sord
May 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
So if they did have an Offline mode, it'd probably be completely separate from the Online mode like PSU.... Which I think was stupid. I wish they'd just let you "download" your character to use in the Offline mode id you wanted to.

This would be good. That way, at least once we're done paying a monthly subscription, we still get our worth out of the initial game price as well by being able to at least use what we had last online while playing offline.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
If it really is possible to have some infinite online functions without it becoming complicated(this includes hacking and all the other issues) and it not being awkward on PC, I don't see why not.

Otherwise I'd rather we could just download our characters. and use them in some sort of special offline mode. Especially when it comes to things like the server going down forever, and us never seeing the game again unless a fan server is finally made.

Anon_Fire
May 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
I'd rather have it Online-only.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 05:06 PM
Online is the only thing confirmed... But if Online/Offline was interjoined then that would most likely mean hacking galore.

This definitely.

Niloklives
May 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
what's so important about an offline mode?

BIG OLAF
May 28, 2011, 06:17 PM
I figure they'll just do strictly online-only. And there's nothing wrong with that in my eyes, at least. Why would you want to play a co-op-centric game like PSO2 offline?

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
I don't see offline or not being a big deal.

I just want my characters as a trophy, even if it's like PSU's crappy offline, but with the ability to add your online mode characters. >3>;;

Tetsaru
May 28, 2011, 07:05 PM
I think the main reason why people would want an offline mode is so that they still have a game to play when the servers are down. Although I feel that, if Sega really wanted to, they could put anything that's offline into the online portion of the game, it would still be nice to be able to use your character data offline in some sort of way... perhaps some sort of LAN game support? At least that way, it'd still feel like you're playing online if your friends were far away, and you could more or less still have the offline multiplayer feeling you'd get from being on a console if your friends were in the same room.

Of course, I don't know of any online games similar to PSO/PSU that had an offline mode and let you download your online character data... seems like that'd conflict with most terms of service agreements, which usually say "you're not paying for your character data, you're paying for the service of playing online on our servers," so technically it'd be THEIR data, unless they edited the agreement (which they usually have power to do) to accommodate such a feature. On top of that, most people don't even read through all that legal mumbo-jumbo anyway, so it kinda works in the company's favor... :(

Arrow
May 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
PSZ style perhaps?

and if PSO2 has a monthly fee fer online mode....well then i'd say there would have to be an offline mode definetly...but i would think it would be free ^^; or am I being naïve?

Malachite
May 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
You are. PSOBB didn't have an offline mode.

SephirothXer0
May 28, 2011, 08:01 PM
what's so important about an offline mode?

So that when the servers inevitably are shut down, we can still enjoy the game.

I played PSO on the Gamecube, and never played it online. Offline was fun itself, especially with a friend on the second controller. It means I can play PSO even to this day and enjoy it, and is one of the reasons I even like the game. If it was online-only, I would have never even tried it, and I bet that's the case for many of its current fans.

I personally don't like the idea of sinking hundreds of hours into something that I know I will lose forever one day and never have anything to show for it, and never be able to go back to enjoy it again.

ShinMaruku
May 28, 2011, 08:32 PM
I hope not online only. Hard to trust game companies and online.

Alnet
May 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
Why would you want to play a co-op-centric game like PSO2 offline?
I was thinking exactly this. PSOGC was fun for me solo at first, but after I'd played with 2 or 3 other people in cooperative, then it was like opening a floodgate. After playing this game online for however many years it's going to run, I can't imagine going through the game alone would be anywhere nearly as enjoyable as with friends.

That, and I want there to be as few avenues for people to hack and modify their character data and then bring them onto the servers. I'm a bit paranoid about people trying to ruin the servers in yet another Phantasy Star game.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
i want it offline and online because otherwise i probably won't get it (at least not for a long time) because i don't pay monthly fees for my games, and why not? just throw it on there as the same thing - otherpeople, and i'll be fine with it

Ezodagrom
May 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
I would prefer having both Offline and Online, with a download option to play with the online character offline, but not being able to use the offline character online.

blace
May 29, 2011, 02:58 AM
Only thing we can say for sure is "Global Support", and with that in mind most likely online only. I like the idea of downloading your character data for offline play, but it'll inevitably get dull by yourself.

So unless they implement any kind of offline/online play, I'm gonna say online only. It's probably for the best since they can monitor user activity to try and prevent hacking.

Kaiyou_Trinon
May 29, 2011, 03:33 AM
If it prevents hackers from ruining the game by it being Online Only, then I would be all for it. I enjoyed the Offline play greatly with friends as many others have but I want the game to live on. I can't wait to hear more info whenever that time comes.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 29, 2011, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't want an offline option for this game for a few reasons.

With an offline option, it means that the disk will either have the full game content on it already, thus meaning unlocked content, which means PSU all over again or the offline mode won't reflect the online game after awhile, making a download data option not likely, and not much fun.

And in the event that they implement PSO's style of being able to play your offline char online, it opens the door for easier hacking of the online game, granted, we're going to see hacks regardless, there's no reason to make it easier for it too happen. The major thing that will prevent hacking will have to come from SEGAs end, by monitering the servers and fixing things in a timely manner.

Another mojor problem I would have with an offline option would be a lack of multi-player, since this was the only thing that I enjoyed out of PSO's offline. And even if they incorperated a LAN function, it goes back the the earlier stated problem of content on the disk.

The only way I'd like to see an option for offline, would be if toward the end of the games life, they added a download option, which would include all the content available online, as a kind of "thank you" to the customer. Otherwise, I'd rather they just focus their efforts to the online game.

Niloklives
May 29, 2011, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't want an offline option for this game for a few reasons.

With an offline option, it means that the disk will either have the full game content on it already, thus meaning unlocked content, which means PSU all over again or the offline mode won't reflect the online game after awhile, making a download data option not likely, and not much fun.

And in the event that they implement PSO's style of being able to play your offline char online, it opens the door for easier hacking of the online game, granted, we're going to see hacks regardless, there's no reason to make it easier for it too happen. The major thing that will prevent hacking will have to come from SEGAs end, by monitering the servers and fixing things in a timely manner.

Another mojor problem I would have with an offline option would be a lack of multi-player, since this was the only thing that I enjoyed out of PSO's offline. And even if they incorperated a LAN function, it goes back the the earlier stated problem of content on the disk.

The only way I'd like to see an option for offline, would be if toward the end of the games life, they added a download option, which would include all the content available online, as a kind of "thank you" to the customer. Otherwise, I'd rather they just focus their efforts to the online game.

Why couldn't the offline mode support downloaded content? O_o Happens all the time.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 29, 2011, 08:18 AM
Why couldn't the offline mode support downloaded content? O_o Happens all the time.

Unless SEGA added the new online content as a down loadable patch, then you'd be playing your online char in an outdated mode. I'm not saying it's not possible, cause it obviously is, it's more so that I'd prefer them to focus entirely on the game itself as their track record with online service hasn't been great in the past, so the less resources they spend on content most people would happily live without the better.

moorebounce
May 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
It would be nice to have an offline mode but I'm sure it will be like PSOBB. The only time it bothers me about having it online only is when I want to play and the servers are down.

If they could come up with a way to have what you obtained online (player level, units and weapons) playable offline that would be great. You can have offline characters but you can also use your online character(s) offline too.

Aumi
May 29, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm hoping for both online and offline splitscreen with your own characters, maintaining all your stats and items both online and offline. Well, probably won't happen... :(

r00tabaga
May 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
So that when the servers inevitably are shut down, we can still enjoy the game.

I played PSO on the Gamecube, and never played it online. Offline was fun itself, especially with a friend on the second controller. It means I can play PSO even to this day and enjoy it, and is one of the reasons I even like the game. If it was online-only, I would have never even tried it, and I bet that's the case for many of its current fans.

I personally don't like the idea of sinking hundreds of hours into something that I know I will lose forever one day and never have anything to show for it, and never be able to go back to enjoy it again.

I am pretty sure if the game is good, there will be "certain free servers" that we can continue playing on after the official ones are closed.

Niloklives
May 29, 2011, 03:10 PM
Unless SEGA added the new online content as a down loadable patch, then you'd be playing your online char in an outdated mode. I'm not saying it's not possible, cause it obviously is, it's more so that I'd prefer them to focus entirely on the game itself as their track record with online service hasn't been great in the past, so the less resources they spend on content most people would happily live without the better.

New content is always downloaded. if they ran that all from the servers constantly you'd still have to download it every time you went someplace new for the game to run or to support any changes. That would just take up too much bandwidth, if you mean "unless they let you just D/L for free" that's a different discussion. "outdated modes" are pretty much meaningless if you're content to only play offline since you're resigning yourself to playing the game gimped just by being offline to begin with.

Basically there's no reason it wouldn't work the way I described unless you're saying offline play is pointless if the game isn't F2P which is turn would make offline play pointless as long as the servers were up.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
New content is always downloaded. if they ran that all from the servers constantly you'd still have to download it every time you went someplace new for the game to run or to support any changes. That would just take up too much bandwidth, if you mean "unless they let you just D/L for free" that's a different discussion. "outdated modes" are pretty much meaningless if you're content to only play offline since you're resigning yourself to playing the game gimped just by being offline to begin with.

Basically there's no reason it wouldn't work the way I described unless you're saying offline play is pointless if the game isn't F2P which is turn would make offline play pointless as long as the servers were up.

You bring up several valid points concerning the ways they could make it an offline mode work well. Kudos. And since you insist on picking all my posts apart why not explain to me then, exactly how an offline mode would serve any purpose whatsoever in a game like this?

I'll give you a hint, I've posted it already.

Niloklives
May 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
Oh I have no desire for an offline mode. I just wanted to point out it could work just fine.

joshboyd1209
May 30, 2011, 08:45 AM
I am pretty sure if the game is good, there will be "certain free servers" that we can continue playing on after the official ones are closed.
I'd make them my self if I knew how, had the tools, and had the money.

NoiseHERO
May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
HAHAhahahaha...!

moorebounce
May 30, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm hoping for both online and offline splitscreen with your own characters, maintaining all your stats and items both online and offline. Well, probably won't happen... :(

They learned that lesson already. That's why they made PSOBB. Everything you don't want hacked needs to stay server side. I'd rather it be Online Only then to have to play with a bunch of hacked players. It was a living hell on the Dreamcast.

joshboyd1209
May 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
They learned that lesson already. That's why they made PSOBB. Everything you don't want hacked needs to stay server side. I'd rather it be Online Only then to have to play with a bunch of hacked players. It was a living hell on the Dreamcast.
Here's an idea that would make offline work: How about you can't use a character created in offline mode in online mode, but you can use a character created in online mode in offline mode.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
Offline mode would be pointless. Supporting an offline mode would be a complete waste of resources for SEGA.

ShinMaruku
May 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
Given that people would dump hours offline only due to some areas having shitty online I would never call it a wasteful expenditure.
Sega has blown money on many other things.

r00tabaga
May 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
I would not be happy if I was not able to play off-line during my hour lunch break everyday. We had both modes in PSZ, PSPo2 & PSU so I don't see why it wouldn't at least be an option. If people don't want to play offline they simply don't have to. It's just like my 3D wish. People that don't care for 3D or can't use it yet can still play w/o it. For those that have the equipment it would enhance the game 100%.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would not be happy if I was not able to play off-line during my hour lunch break everyday. We had both modes in PSZ, PSPo2 & PSU so I don't see why it wouldn't at least be an option. If people don't want to play offline they simply don't have to. It's just like my 3D wish. People that don't care for 3D or can't use it yet can still play w/o it. For those that have the equipment it would enhance the game 100%.

Not exactly the best games to use as comparison since all of these were console/handheld system releases, and as far as we know PSO2 is not. I've never heard of any PC only MMO/ARPG ever having an offline mode. (Note: I do not typically play PC games so feel free to elighten me)

NoGoBoard
May 31, 2011, 12:41 PM

What's stopping you from jumping online for that time? If anything, going online and beating on enemies with other people on your hour lunch break would be better. No one said you had to put in several hours of gameplay if it was going to be online only. And like Justyn said, you didn't exactly use the best examples.

And Justyn, most MMO/ARPGs don't have an offline adventure mode. Hell, even to play single-player PSOBB you had to go online and make a single-player room at the counter.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 31, 2011, 01:07 PM
What's stopping you from jumping online for that time? If anything, going online and beating on enemies with other people on your hour lunch break would be better. No one said you had to put in several hours of gameplay if it was going to be online only. And like Justyn said, you didn't exactly use the best examples.

And Justyn, most MMO/ARPGs don't have an offline adventure mode. Hell, even to play single-player PSOBB you had to go online and make a single-player room at the counter.

That's what I thought. Thnx

r00tabaga
May 31, 2011, 01:10 PM
We can't obtain ip addresses on non-authorized devices at my work. Yeah, Justin's probably right about it being online only like Blue Burst. Oh well I can still pray. :)

Nitro Vordex
May 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
PSU had an offline mode. :wacko:

NoiseHERO
May 31, 2011, 01:46 PM
Phantasy Star I,II,III,IV had offline mode too. :}

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
PSU had an offline mode. :wacko:

Again, PSU was made for consoles. And since there are people out there that do not play consoles online, it makes sense to try and market to thos players.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 31, 2011, 04:10 PM
Given that people would dump hours offline only due to some areas having shitty online I would never call it a wasteful expenditure.
Sega has blown money on many other things.Yeah, but that doesn't fit with the whole business model for an online game. The vast majority of the revenue comes from monthly subscriptions and/or microtransactions, not the sale of the game itself, so it would really be a waste of resources (not just money, but time and development assets) to make a fully featured offline mode.

ShinMaruku
May 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
See that only works if there is a massive uptake on the subscription front. That is a pretty big assumption that most people will continue on after the first period after buying the game. Most people leave after 2 months in online games. Also given that on the largest user base pool is in a place where good online is meh you can't hold on to that. Thus a good offline will better milk out that portion who will not continue after that point.

I know in Japan they would have a very health offline portion for the people there.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 31, 2011, 04:52 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Fayorei
May 31, 2011, 05:32 PM
I highly doubt they're going to offer offline play for a character who can go online in PSO2.

Here's my reasoning:

*PSO2 has only been announced on the PC Platform.

*PSO: BB was online only.

*PSU had an extra character mode, and a story mode(which required internet even then I believe!) but the meat of the game, online play, required an online only character(In its PC version, which I played).

*There will probably be a subscription model like PSO/PSU

*Online only allows Sega to use bot-detection and cheat-detection methods, so users can't fiddle with client-side data as easily. Having an offline mode that transfers to online use could make those exploits even easier to perform.

So, overall, I definitely do not really see a true offline mode for this title. PSU(the most recent PC incarnation of the series) had internet required for even story mode(only the PC version), and definitely for online character mode. I don't see why they'd change it.

In a perfect world though, I wish it'd go back to PSO's model of being able to level offline then go online whenever. But I wouldn't trade that for security.:S

ShinMaruku
May 31, 2011, 05:50 PM
Don't hold your breath.

True but Japanese companies have a terrible track record with online thus far.

Zaix
May 31, 2011, 07:14 PM
True but Japanese companies have a terrible track record with online thus far.

Square Enix would like a word with you using FFXI as an example. (Technically it was Square Soft then)

Niloklives
May 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
Square Enix would like a word with you using FFXI as an example. (Technically it was Square Soft then)

Not that I agree with shin, but one good game in a long list of bad ones would still make for a terrible track record.

Zaix
May 31, 2011, 08:44 PM
Not that I agree with shin, but one good game in a long list of bad ones would still make for a terrible track record.

I interpreted it as nothing good ever came from Japan. I see that point though.

SephirothXer0
May 31, 2011, 10:56 PM
Well, you'll always have the Portable games to continue the offline experience.

I'm sure they're going to continue the series on the NGP (or is it called the Vita now?)

joshboyd1209
May 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
I highly doubt they're going to offer offline play for a character who can go online in PSO2.

Here's my reasoning:

*PSO2 has only been announced on the PC Platform.
Meaning? The only convience in that is that you can access the internet more easily.

*PSO: BB was online only.
So? that was, well let's see 1, 2, 3, 4 games ago in the series possibly 5 if you decide to count PSZ.

*There will probably be a subscription model like PSO/PSU
May I refer you to the special hush hush server/s(was there ever more than just the one hush hush server? ) for PSO.

*Online only allows Sega to use bot-detection and cheat-detection methods, so users can't fiddle with client-side data as easily. Having an offline mode that transfers to online use could make those exploits even easier to perform.
So would a better security system.

NoiseHERO
Jun 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
No, Josh. Stop trying to think.

Niloklives
Jun 1, 2011, 12:42 AM
You're assuming too much about him, Mike. Pretty sure thinking was never his objective.

•Col•
Jun 1, 2011, 01:13 AM
What if they did this... No offline mode. They allowed you to log into the servers/lobbies and make single player rooms for free.

I know it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would, but I think it'd be a good business move for Sega... It'd get more people to try out the game, and tempt players to buy a guardian license so that they could play with the friends they make in the lobbies.

Plus if nothing else, it'd at least give the illusion that the multiplayer is much more popular than it actually is, lol.

Alnet
Jun 1, 2011, 05:55 AM
What if they did this... No offline mode. They allowed you to log into the servers/lobbies and make single player rooms for free.

I know it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would, but I think it'd be a good business move for Sega... It'd get more people to try out the game, and tempt players to buy a guardian license so that they could play with the friends they make in the lobbies.

Plus if nothing else, it'd at least give the illusion that the multiplayer is much more popular than it actually is, lol.
I'm concerned about the lobbies filling with spambots like on Xbox 360's PSU demo servers (since essentially, this is just like a demo version of the main game). If Sega steps up its in-game support efforts to stop that from happening, it sounds like it could work.

Particularly, the game would have to require a party to get past some of the better, or most missions to make it work. If people can still do everything they can do with a party without needing one, then it'd just make it a de facto free-to-play game.

•Col•
Jun 1, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'm concerned about the lobbies filling with spambots like on Xbox 360's PSU demo servers (since essentially, this is just like a demo version of the main game). If Sega steps up its in-game support efforts to stop that from happening, it sounds like it could work.

Particularly, the game would have to require a party to get past some of the better, or most missions to make it work. If people can still do everything they can do with a party without needing one, then it'd just make it a de facto free-to-play game.

I don't think the advertising bots would become a problem... For one, you would still have to buy the actual game to play single player which would already cut down on the number right there by a lot. Plus, unlike the demo 360 server, there would actually be moderators to keep people in their place, lol.

But yeah, I still think it'd be a good move...

r00tabaga
Jun 1, 2011, 11:50 AM

No, single player rooms for free is not a good answer. What if the servers are down? What if your connection is down (router, ISP, etc)? What if you wanna play on a laptop in a dead zone? What about when the game eventually stops getting support? Those are why people may want offline.

I do understand where you're going with the FREE part & it is an interesting idea for those that can't afford monthly fees.

ShinMaruku
Jun 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
FFXI is an argueable attempt at saying 'good' MMO.
Some would count that as terrible. They had a 18 hour boss at one point and the people who undertook it were batshit insane.

joshboyd1209
Jun 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
No, single player rooms for free is not a good answer. What if the servers are down? What if your connection is down (router, ISP, etc)? What if you wanna play on a laptop in a dead zone? What about when the game eventually stops getting support? Those are why people may want offline.
Exactly although if they make it P2P you're looking at free servers within 6 months of the release or so and they typically stay open much longer. So I'm wanting offline mode for when I'm in the middle of nowhere and there is no internet or I can't get internet, because my modem is down.

Malachite
Jun 1, 2011, 03:41 PM
What in the world is making you think about a PSP release already?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 1, 2011, 03:47 PM
P2P, not PSP.

•Col•
Jun 1, 2011, 05:25 PM

I do understand where you're going with the FREE part & it is an interesting idea for those that can't afford monthly fees.

Thanks for quoting the first part of my post and leaving out the "it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would" part.

r00tabaga
Jun 1, 2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for quoting the first part of my post and leaving out the "it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would" part.

You are not understanding what I meant. People don't want offline just to do solo.

Niloklives
Jun 1, 2011, 05:55 PM
Exactly although if they make it P2P you're looking at free servers within 6 months of the release or so and they typically stay open much longer. So I'm wanting offline mode for when I'm in the middle of nowhere and there is no internet or I can't get internet, because my modem is down.

uh

free servers while the game is out get closed fast or get sued. that's not happening.

r00tabaga
Jun 1, 2011, 06:03 PM
uh

free servers while the game is out get closed fast or get sued. that's not happening.

Thanks Nilok. At 1st I was like should I say something, but then I was like nah, let him think whatever he wants. Sometimes it's better just to let Josh be Josh.

yoshiblue
Jun 1, 2011, 06:37 PM
The best thing I can think of is

◎Offline Training Grounds
□Mini missions/puzzles that give clues for rare weapon locations.
◇Premade characters for filler episode type missions that tell you a bit of history.
△Thought provoking mini games
☆Old sega games

ΞTo much fun on the Wii

•Col•
Jun 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
You are not understanding what I meant. People don't want offline just to do solo.

I did understand.

What you said was what I meant with the "it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would". :l

And what I suggested would be a much better move for Sega to do than to make an Offline mode.

r00tabaga
Jun 1, 2011, 08:18 PM
I did understand.

What you said was what I meant with the "it wouldn't really fulfill the same purposes as an Offline mode would". :l

And what I suggested would be a much better move for Sega to do than to make an Offline mode.

That would still require use of their servers. Offline would not.

PhotonDrop
Jun 1, 2011, 08:19 PM
I'd love it if there was an offline mode. To this day I can go back to my Gamecube, pop in PSO, and go say hi to De Rol Le. Blue Burst is not giving me that same satisfaction and neither is PSU.

ShinMaruku
Jun 1, 2011, 08:35 PM
And people should not be Online only. Unless they hate money.

•Col•
Jun 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
That would still require use of their servers. Offline would not.

Yes, of course it require use of their servers.

Even then, what I suggested would still be a better move for Sega.

Chris28
Jun 2, 2011, 06:06 AM
It's easily going to be online only and they can do what they did in the original PSO and let you create a single player only game while online that was just like playing in offline mode.

Anon_Fire
Jun 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
Keep it online only.

Do you really want to see hackers/cheaters in the game? huh?

Yuicihi
Jun 2, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'd support an offline mode, if only to reaffirm myself that this is a Phantasy Star game. Hackers, save modifications, and scammers are the long-held tradition of this series, and it just wouldn't feel the same without it all.

That said, PSU's idea of an offline mode was pointless from the get-go.

Dongra
Jun 2, 2011, 02:10 PM
Keep it online only.

Do you really want to see hackers/cheaters in the game? huh?
Do you really think we won't regardless as to whether it has an offline option or not? Huh?

blace
Jun 2, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hackers have always found ways to bypass the security protocols in place.

Jason
Jun 2, 2011, 07:34 PM
PSO-style online-offline combo, and over my dead body if they want to do otherwise.

I sank a large portion of offline hours, and this contributed to my view of the game's longevity long after the servers were gone.I won't even bother with offline when the servers are gone.

Xenobia
Jun 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
Main issue with PSO simply is, at some point the servers may disappear, as ironically as it sounds. Although on PSU the offline mode was horrible and totaly incomplete. While they updated the online mode over and over and made so many changes and additions, the offline mode got totaly broken over time and it wasnt even a copy, just a short story mode, thats it.

From my view, its no problem to have a online and offline mode, however, all you can get for offline character is a copy of your online character. However, that doesnt work reverse order, so if there is no way to copy the offline character stats to online, i see no chance to crack the online character.

So why not to spend a accurate and updated offline mode. The only issue will be that you can either chose to update the offline character using online data but, any chances made from that point will be overwritten if there is a new backup. So that means, Offline mode will be just for fun and mainly useful if someone cant anymore play online for whatever reason.

Anyway, thats just fantasy and theory, if it comes real who knows. Its just a hint that it is possible to make a backup without hackable data.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
Main issue with PSO simply is, at some point the servers may disappear, as ironically as it sounds. Although on PSU the offline mode was horrible and totaly incomplete. While they updated the online mode over and over and made so many changes and additions, the offline mode got totaly broken over time and it wasnt even a copy, just a short story mode, thats it.

From my view, its no problem to have a online and offline mode, however, all you can get for offline character is a copy of your online character. THAT DOESNT WORK reverse order, so if there is no way to copy the offline character stats to online, i see no chance to crack the online character.

I totally agree, it worked in PSO because the game was (for the most part) complete when they made it. They added events special missions, new characters (FOmar) and a small new area (tower) but that's about it. If this were to work again they would have to sell separate expation disks that had all the new patches and extra game play, later down the road. They did this to some extent with newer versions of PSO but now days it would be more drastic. How many expansions has WoW gone through?

I will say I do enjoy playing offline if I was to solo for hunting weapons, it's always nice to not have that fear of disconcerting. Plus there's something relaxing about offline mode. If we don't get to use our characters, and if the data is non-transferable then I see little point in having an offline mode.

Randomness
Jun 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hackers have always found ways to bypass the security protocols in place.

Not in PSU. Exploits don't count.

Malachite
Jun 14, 2011, 11:24 AM
Do you really think we won't regardless as to whether it has an offline option or not? Huh?

Having the character information saved on your computer makes it ridiculously easy to hack, whereas when it's saved on their server, it's almost untouchable.

Dongra
Jun 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
You forgot to take into account Sega's track record when it comes to cheating.

Malachite
Jun 14, 2011, 11:41 AM
Did you play PSU? lol

RenzokukenZ
Jun 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
You forgot to take into account Sega's track record when it comes to cheating.

That's because the save data was on the player's side.

Dongra
Jun 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
I guess I should say their history with programming since most of the cheats used in games from PSU on were from in game exploits rather than actual "hacking." I still don't have much faith in them.

Randomness
Jun 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
Anything but online only would be stupid, for obvious reasons.