PDA

View Full Version : JP PSU Patching issues

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
I just downloaded and installed aoti from the jp psu site and made a jp account. I can log in fine but during the initial patch, the client gives me an error and crashes: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/16/psuerror.jpg

I've tried reinstalling it but that hasn't worked. I've googled it and the only potential fix I could find for this problem was to keep my game at the native resolution for the initial patch. I've tried that but it still crashes. I'm pretty sure its a gameguard error but I have no idea whats causing it.

I'm on Vista business (x86)

Crysteon
May 28, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hmmm, this sounds familiar to me when I had Vista, lol. Have you tried patching the game with the UAC turned off?

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
User account control? I always have that turned off actually.

Crysteon
May 28, 2011, 02:49 PM
Have you tried turning on Compatibility mode on XP Sp2 for PSU? Gameguard is a bit retarded sometimes, lol...but I remember doing that to avoid some issues with it also.

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
I haven't tried that, how do I go about doing that?

Crysteon
May 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Select your PSU launch icon and press right click, and then press the Properties options. Go to the Compatibility tab and select the space in Compatibility Mode and make sure you have Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option.

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks, i'll try that now.

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
It didn't work. =/ still gives me the same error in the middle of patching.

cristfc
May 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
It didn't work. =/ still gives me the same error in the middle of patching.
try run game as administrator? :-?

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
try run game as administrator? :-?

Tried that a while ago haha, didnt work. Someone on the sega forums translated the error and it says "GameGuard initialization error". He also gave me an faq for this sort of error so i'll see if any of those work. http://www.gameguard.co.kr/gameguard...ng/FAQ_114.htm Thanks for all the help thus far.

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 06:53 PM
After trying to patch it repeatedly i was able to finally get onto the server but i still get the error while im in game. I've disabled both my anti viruses and my firewall but that didnt change anything. i've closed as many processes as i can but im still not sure what is conflicting with gameguard.

Crysteon
May 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
Have you tried reinstalling GameGuard itself? ._.

I'm running out of alternatives, lol.

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 08:08 PM
:P yeah i reinstalled many times but to no avail. If this continues im just gonna give up. Thanks for trying though, i appreciate it.

re
May 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
What antivirus application are you running?
(Just asking for the last resort options)
When was the last time you've scanned your pc for root kits (tdsskiller is good) and/or spyware (malwarebytes and superantispyware are good too)

another thing: did you add gameguard.desu, gamemon.desu, possibly even psuilluminus.exe to you dep (data execution protection list)

fronebullare
May 28, 2011, 09:02 PM
Im using spybot search and destroy and avg. I haven't added those things to the DEP list. I don't know how to do that.

re
May 29, 2011, 01:02 AM
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65790-dep-turn-off-programs.html
go to the psu install folder and look for *.des
inside the psu folder and inside the gameguard folder.

I have the bottom radio option selected on mine.

(I use avg free myself, not going to pay for antivirus, haven't used spybot in ages)

fronebullare
May 29, 2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks. I put gamemon,both gameguard.desu,and psuilluminus on the list but, still getting the error.

EDIT: seems i spoke too soon; when i restarted and checked the dep list again, the .des weren't there. I added them, restarted and checked again and they are there now. Playing for about 15 minutes now and havent seen the error. This might be it.

EDIT: Damn, and I thought I was home free... just got the error again.

Black Dragon
May 29, 2011, 08:32 AM
Have you restarted your computer since patching? I only ask because personally my computer is on 24/7.

fronebullare
May 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah I've restarted quite a few times actually, haha. My computer is usually on too.

cristfc
May 29, 2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah I've restarted quite a few times actually, haha. My computer is usually on too.
Have you shutdown antivirus or spybot temporarily for see if this error persists?

I found this text in a website, not sure if its same error.. (its for MapleStory game, then replace it with PSU when reading)

Error: GameGuard failed to initialize GameMon.
"This shows that something on your PC is preventing GameGuard from running. Disable Windows Firewall and all 3rd party firewalls. Temporarily disable your anti-virus and anti-spy (or uninstall them if all else fails). Click Start then Run. Type "services.msc" without the quotes. Make sure the following services are disabled from startup and the service is stopped. (to do this, right click on the item).
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
- Security Center
If you've done that then Windows Firewall has been completely disabled. (You can turn it on again anytime you want). If Maple still doesn't work, try this. With Maple installed, download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Find MapleStory and click remove. Now uninstall Maple. This will now be a fresh, new install. Download the client again and install normally. If it still doesn't work, try this. Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to open the task manager and click Processes. Kill of any programs that you know is safe to close. ProcessScan will scan your processes and tell you what is safe and what is not. You should not kill any of the following processes:
- explorer.exe
- svchost.exe (there are multiple, don't end any of them)
- lsass.exe
- services.exe
- winlogon.exe
- csrss.exe
- smss.exe
- System
- System Idle Process

Or, if your on vista, there could be an issue because of DEP. DEP is Data Execution Prevention. Go to the control panel, in the url bar, put Control Panel\System and Maintenance\System and press enter. Click System Protection. Inside of that click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Tick turn on DEP for all programs except those that I accept. Click add, add all files in your maplestory folder. If this doesn't work, go back and change the DEP settings back to normal, and try one of the other fixes."

:confused:

fronebullare
May 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
I've shut everything down, firewall, avg, spybot. And everything is on the dep list. I'll try and kill a few more processes and see. Might be some program not agreeing with gg.

re
May 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
/me points to unanswered portion:
When was the last time you've scanned your pc for root kits (tdsskiller is good) and/or spyware (malwarebytes and superantispyware are good too)

fronebullare
May 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
I scan every month or so and it always comes up clean. The last time I did it was a few weeks ago.

EDIT: just ran full scans on both my antiviruses and both came up clean.

fronebullare
May 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
Forget it, this just wont work for me. =/ Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Keilyn
May 29, 2011, 11:59 PM
Having 2 Anti-Viruses in a system is never a good idea, the two can cause a deadlock. Also launch PSU in a window as well. Unfortunately since Gameguard is at a higher level than an Anti-Virus it can override it completely. Make sure you run it as administrator by right clicking on the program and actually "Run as Administrator." If you are running multiple versions of Nprotect or just one that updates. You will need to reenter the data everytime Nprotect itself is actually updated with a new core file. If you have a problem you can also delete the Nprotect/Gameguard directory contents and have the game download a fresh copy for you if any corruption exists.

If you were able to play the game for 15 minutes, then you obviously did something right...But if its the Anti-viruses themselves, they literally are fighting each other for control so you literally have to replicate the same settings on anti viruses and firewalls you may have to be in the clear, otherwise one will keep overriding the other. Afterwards you are free to give your favorite kernel level rootkit (nprotect/gameguard) control of your system.

You can run your anti-viruses but it really is like not having them while playing PSU.

The linux community knows the full extent of what Nprotect actually is to the point they completely rebelled against Nprotect (gameguard) being introduced into Linux itself....and it was very massive. Massive to the point entire populations and users (who actually know about computers) threatened to uninstall any Linux Build and Version that has any Nprotect/Gameguard Compatibility of any kind.

However, running on Windows isn't too bad considering right now the best thing that Windows can do is actually Run Games and nothing else. ^_^

Vent
May 30, 2011, 03:25 AM
Are you running anything in the background that might cause GameGuard to suspect it as a potential threat to the game's integrity? Things like Cheat Engine are an obvious no, but thing like Fraps tend to crash PSU sometimes when I try to open it after I've launched PSU. I bet any other overlay program might have the same problem too.

Try hitting ctrl+alt+delete and go to processes and shut down any unnecessary applications that are running.

Keilyn
May 30, 2011, 11:53 AM
Fraps was fixed in a previous version to allow to work through nprotect. I use Fraps exclusively (even more than dxtory) for capturing....^_^ If gameguard didn't allow it, the game would just instantly crash with an error.....but that is not the case.

Vent
May 30, 2011, 01:27 PM
Fraps was fixed in a previous version to allow to work through nprotect. I use Fraps exclusively (even more than dxtory) for capturing....^_^ If gameguard didn't allow it, the game would just instantly crash with an error.....but that is not the case.

Ergo, an older version of Fraps can have this problem. Apparently it isn't just me.

cristfc
May 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
I hope that you can fix it soon :-?

fronebullare
May 30, 2011, 10:58 PM
Having 2 Anti-Viruses in a system is never a good idea, the two can cause a deadlock. Also launch PSU in a window as well. Unfortunately since Gameguard is at a higher level than an Anti-Virus it can override it completely. Make sure you run it as administrator by right clicking on the program and actually "Run as Administrator." If you are running multiple versions of Nprotect or just one that updates. You will need to reenter the data everytime Nprotect itself is actually updated with a new core file. If you have a problem you can also delete the Nprotect/Gameguard directory contents and have the game download a fresh copy for you if any corruption exists.

If you were able to play the game for 15 minutes, then you obviously did something right...But if its the Anti-viruses themselves, they literally are fighting each other for control so you literally have to replicate the same settings on anti viruses and firewalls you may have to be in the clear, otherwise one will keep overriding the other. Afterwards you are free to give your favorite kernel level rootkit (nprotect/gameguard) control of your system.

You can run your anti-viruses but it really is like not having them while playing PSU.

The linux community knows the full extent of what Nprotect actually is to the point they completely rebelled against Nprotect (gameguard) being introduced into Linux itself....and it was very massive. Massive to the point entire populations and users (who actually know about computers) threatened to uninstall any Linux Build and Version that has any Nprotect/Gameguard Compatibility of any kind.

However, running on Windows isn't too bad considering right now the best thing that Windows can do is actually Run Games and nothing else. ^_^

I always launch the game in windowed. And I've ran it as administrator. I've had both antiviruses completely off as well as my firewall. Are you saying that i should delete the gameguard folder in the psu folder every time i want to play?

Vent
May 31, 2011, 03:04 AM
I always launch the game in windowed. And I've ran it as administrator. I've had both antiviruses completely off as well as my firewall. Are you saying that i should delete the gameguard folder in the psu folder every time i want to play?

No that's not possible for obvious reasons. ^^; I think he was merely stating that having two anti-viruses installed is never a good idea; they override each other's settings. That along with a heap of mambo-jumbo.

If you're really desperate you can always reinstall Windows, but that's if you're REALLY desperate.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 31, 2011, 04:07 PM
Gameguard has a habit of doing really weird shit for absolutely no reason to a select few people, so you unfortunately may not find a solution to this for some time.

In my case, it prevents me from using any and all web-browsers while gameguard is running. I am apparently the only person this has happened to, and it has only happened to me on this one computer.

re
May 31, 2011, 07:08 PM
Gameguard has a habit of doing really weird shit for absolutely no reason to a select few people, so you unfortunately may not find a solution to this for some time.

In my case, it prevents me from using any and all web-browsers while gameguard is running. I am apparently the only person this has happened to, and it has only happened to me on this one computer.

I have that issue on my laptop. I used to launch the browser before I started playing as a work around.

The reason I asked about the spyware and scanning is because of the nature of gameguard. I've read that it asks like a rootkit. It could just be something stopping it from running or ending the process.
If you are pc savvy, you can out your hijackthis log, else I would again recommend a scan with something other than spybot. One tool will not detect everything.

Good luck finding the problem, these are just my suggestions.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
I have that issue on my laptop. I used to launch the browser before I started playing as a work around.If only that worked. It just forcibly crashes the browser the second GG loads.