PDA

View Full Version : E3 June 6th-7th & The Future of Our Beloved Phantasy Star Series

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 5, 2011, 10:21 PM
Who here is excited to see the next Magical Money Printing Plastic thing full of Mario Games!? 'A.K.A. Project Cafe'. Maybe Sonic Team wont reveal any info on our highly anticipated PSO2. But will the specs of the Cafe give away any indication of PSO2 making it's way to that console?

I was just taking a trip down memory lane and reading a very old review of PSO Dreamcast (before it was released). The reviewer was saying; "There's a new online game out there, and it's so good it will give Everquest a run for it's money!" Does PSO2 stand a chance with all the similar titles out there to come? Or was the first console online RPG series able to stay afloat because it catered to console gamers?

Personally I've been following the series wherever it leads me -sometimes it's blind leading the blind- but never the less, I was disappointing to make the switch from Nintendo to Sony. Especially because the PS2 was already outdated at the time of PSU's release, and Nintendo had just released a new better system. I do plan to reluctantly follow PSO2 to the PC, even though I'm not a huge fan of sitting in front of my computer to play video games. Call me strange but console gaming is more fun for me, I like to have that feeling that I can put the game down any time. I enjoying setting up two TVs next to each other and playing side by side with my buddies. The new game consoles are fully capable of facilitating this... I'm not saying it should be exclusive to consoles but I dream of the day we see unity of the Big Three and PC, for one massive online experience over all systems.

Zyrusticae
Jun 6, 2011, 12:26 AM
Okay, honestly? Redundant thread. There will be nothing new coming from E3 of relevance to the game and, quite frankly, anything that IS of relevance is probably going to belong in the ALREADY-EXISTING console thread.

But of course, I'm not a moderator, so all I can do is tell you my displeasure of yet another redundant thread.

Seriously, though, wtf would the specs of "Project Cafe" have to do with ANYTHING? I can assure you that PSO2 not appearing on the consoles has nothing at all to do with their hardware specs. That's, like, the very last concern on their list. Seriously. What?

Common sense. It's not so common after all....

joshboyd1209
Jun 6, 2011, 12:36 AM
Common sense. It's not so common after all....

No it is not:
Boo-Boo? How many times have you succeeded in ruining one of my brilliant ideas with common sense?

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 6, 2011, 01:09 AM
You got me. :dead:
I guess the two-part topic is confusing for some. E3 starts tomorrow and I'm so excited I wanted to chat about it on these threads. Of course I had to tie it in with PSO2 somehow or it wouldn't be right.

I really wanted to post this on the "Project Cafe" thread but it's been closed for awhile. And "No Sega games @E3" is actually not true.

So here we are back on topic: Do you think PSO2 can compete with all the new PC games filling it's category? Or do you agree with:Zyrusticae
I say anyone looking for a real MMO should steer clear of the PSO series. They're going to remain cooperative action-RPGs, and quite frankly that is a severely underserved niche. MMORPGs are a dime a dozen nowadays, you literally cannot go to a single gaming site on the net without seeing some mention of some MMO, there's SO many of them that have been released/are being released/are being developed right at this very moment. We don't need another one.
I can't wait to see so many peoples' blind, unrealistic hopes dashed to pieces when they find out it is, in fact, a sequel to PSU with nostalgia-ripped elements from PSO and NOT the uber next-generation action-MMO with super-duper-advanced open-world BS somehow magically supported by super-servers that can apparently calculate the actions, movements, and physics of hundreds or even thousands of people in real-time simultaneously.

Some of you guys seriously need a reality check. Like, now, BEFORE you get hit by the reality train. Trust me, that's gonna hurt way more if you keep up these delusions.

Could this be a fair warning for those that have the "PSO blinders" on?

Tetsaru
Jun 6, 2011, 01:42 AM
I don't see PSO2 as a "competitive" game title, really. It's always been more of a niche title that not many people know about, but there's a big fanbase behind it. I expect a lot of people attending or watching E3 will be too busy fapping to the next Call of Doody: Rehashed Warfare or other FPS games, as usual... :rolleyes:

Despite that, I'm hoping Sega will release more information on PSO2 at E3 in some form or another, so we can at least stop speculating about it and start actually discussing it, lol.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 6, 2011, 02:17 AM
I don't see PSO2 as a "competitive" game title, really. It's always been more of a niche title that not many people know about, but there's a big fanbase behind it. I expect a lot of people attending or watching E3 will be too busy fapping to the next Call of Doody: Rehashed Warfare or other FPS games, as usual... :rolleyes:

Despite that, I'm hoping Sega will release more information on PSO2 at E3 in some form or another, so we can at least stop speculating about it and start actually discussing it, lol.

I figured that would but much the case. We do have a cult following here, and competing in the PC arena only with WoW is a scary thought, but I think most of us will hold strong. I just hope SoA doesn't stop policing their server and leave us behind on up-dates due to low player support (It's been said before I know... but I'm still concerned)

RenzokukenZ
Jun 6, 2011, 03:29 AM
PSO2 is made by Japan, for Japan. This includes demographics, style, and audience.

Its success elsewhere is irrelevant.

In other words, it doesn't matter if it competes with other online games so long as it meets its goal, which is to sell well in Japan.

Jinketsu
Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 AM
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/03/segas-blockbuster-lineup-for-e3-2011/

The blog post says "The list of titles in display at SEGA’s E3 booth (South Exhibit Hall, Booth 2023) includes among others:"

I would say the "among others" denotes more than the games listed on that blog post will be shown, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some PSO2 footage of some kind.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/03/segas-blockbuster-lineup-for-e3-2011/

The blog post says "The list of titles in display at SEGA’s E3 booth (South Exhibit Hall, Booth 2023) includes among others:"

I would say the "among others" denotes more than the games listed on that blog post will be shown, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some PSO2 footage of some kind.

That would be amazing if we did get some footage, I need it to wet my apatite again.

blace
Jun 6, 2011, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. After all the later PS games have had a delayed release date in the western world. If they do mention something about it, good, if they don't say anything, well it's expected.

Just don't put too much faith into a company that does nothing but advertise Sonic, Sonic, and more Sonic.

pikachief
Jun 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
all i want is a confirmation for a US release. Not that I don't think they will release it for US, but i'll still be a bit uneasy about it until they confirm it themselves :)

RemiusTA
Jun 6, 2011, 07:33 PM
I've said it once, i'll say it again.

I have never once in my life cared about nintendo or it's little gimmicky systems they use to print money. The one and only reason i've ever cared for their systems is because they have absolutely amazing first party titles.

I know that a hardcore Mario, Zelda or Metroid title (excluding Other: Trash) is going to be good, regardless of the system it's on. They also have an army of great characters to fall back on. And then, there's always Smash Brothers.

That's the only reason i even mildly care about Project Cafe -- HD Smash Brothers, Mario, and Zelda. It's little gimmicky touchy-feely controller can go to hell. I never had a problem with the original Dualshock.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 6, 2011, 08:53 PM
I've said it once, i'll say it again.

I have never once in my life cared about nintendo or it's little gimmicky systems they use to print money. The one and only reason i've ever cared for their systems is because they have absolutely amazing first party titles.

I know that a hardcore Mario, Zelda or Metroid title (excluding Other: Trash) is going to be good, regardless of the system it's on. They also have an army of great characters to fall back on. And then, there's always Smash Brothers.

That's the only reason i even mildly care about Project Cafe -- HD Smash Brothers, Mario, and Zelda. It's little gimmicky touchy-feely controller can go to hell. I never had a problem with the original Dualshock.

Now I'm not going to say too much to defend the Wii motion control and how much it truly has "revolutionized" gaming (which was the intent). Because I'll be completely honest with you my opinion is biased and I would defend Nintendo all day long, plus you probably know the arguments I'd make on this subject.

What I will say is this; Sony and Microsoft laughed at Nintendo and quite literally made fun of motion gaming in front of the whole world. Now they look like the biggest hypocrites trying to conform every one of their game titles to fit motion gaming. The new Bioshock will be playable with motion control, even when the Bioshock creator himself made statements saying motion control is a joke and how how real "core" gamers use Duelshock. Once Sony flashed the cash and showed him the money making potential of broadening your gamer audience he now sings a different tune.

Nintendo is the smartest gaming company on the planet, they are the innovators while the rest try to emulate and stay within their comfort zone. Blessed are those that believe without seeing, Nintendo has the balls to try new things. They made the most money off the Wii in the history of gaming, now they are going to make a new console. Aren't you excited just a little to see what all that money went into? They may ever well go back to the Duelshock style of game controller, but now will all have a new feature added to our controllers. Thank you Nintendo, thank you for the most important thing you have ever done for console gaming (aside from saving the industry itself), which was defining what makes a perfect controller. Quote: "The base design of of the NES and SNES controllers has been so good that they've spawned legions of imitators, and though both Sony and Microsoft have improved upon the original design, they didn't create the principle." - Adam Thomas (http://www.ranker.com/profile-of/adamthomas) Ranker Online.

My keynote point is: If we didn't have Nintendo out there molding our gaming experience no one would. If it was left up to Sony and Microsoft we would all be playing PCs.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 6, 2011, 09:48 PM
If anyone thinks that fucking rectangle controller the NES is good at all I will beat them over the head with one. Thing was terrible.

pikachief
Jun 6, 2011, 09:56 PM
If anyone thinks that fucking rectangle controller the NES is good at all I will beat them over the head with one. Thing was terrible.

not like the N64 or gamecube controllers were any better :P SNES was the best controller nintendo has ever made in my opinion :P

Being a HUGE nintendo fan myself I'm... mildly excited for nintendo tomorrow... Wii just wasn't very good... at all. Didn't like Wii mario Kart, Wii Smash bros, Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy. They all seemed very meh to me personally :/

OFF TOPIC: I really hope there is PSO2 there! maybe some Casts? Forces? BEASTS? :O

Chaobo99
Jun 6, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'd feel offended if beasts were introduced before the WHOLE techer(force) class >.> but then again, best for last XD

Kion
Jun 7, 2011, 02:54 AM
The problem with Nintendo is they sold themselves out. They didn't cooperate with third party developers to put more titles on the wii and their hardware was already behind a generation when it came out. Nintendo actually has to launch a new console because there simply isn't anyone including nintendo developing for the wii at all. Hopefully they'll go past gimmicks and focus on making an all-around entertainment ecosystem this time.

DarkMaster50
Jun 7, 2011, 03:40 AM
I just wanna know when beta testing is going to start and if I can be apart of it.... Is anyone actually playing the alpha? You should post some vids on youtube. =D

blace
Jun 7, 2011, 04:41 AM
I just wanna know when beta testing is going to start and if I can be apart of it.... Is anyone actually playing the alpha? You should post some vids on youtube. =D
Give it a few more weeks to a month. It's starting sometime this summer.

Only things I've heard about nintendo's new console is the original rumor behind the Wii controller: a touchscreen.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 7, 2011, 05:27 AM
I enjoyed many games on the Wii, and still have over 15 games I still want to get for it. I'd buy Nintendo's console in a heartbeat as long as it's backwards compatible, i can transfer my saved games and the VC and WiiWare games i have to it.
Now if sega announced a US release of PSO 2 for the new Nintendo console i'd definately would get it. Though, I highly doubt that will happen. I just hope Sega will announce PSO 2 for US release....

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2011, 11:40 AM
Nintendo's focus has always been more about what they want to do and less about what the consumers want. The fact that to this day their console doesn't have DVD playback is a testament to that. GCN had some great titles and all and Wii's had a few hits, but they constantly have this way of trying to tell gamers what they wants rather than giving them what they demand. Even going as far back as N64, they've been changing, making their console something more to sell their own software and focusing more and more on the casual gamer.

The Wii is the exclamation point on this statement. When you look at sales, many Wiis were purchased by people who had no interest in gaming and only got it fora few titles on wii sports and Wii Fit. The ratio of consoles purchased to titles sold is a bit skewed when compared to say the 360 or PS3. I don't mean to bash Nintendo because I grew up with them and to this day I'll stand by my sentiment that the SNES was the pinnacle of console gaming just based on its library alone. looking at nintendo now, they seem to be very much like sega when they released the Dreamcast - which by all rights was an amazing system with a major security flaw and a software library that was largely 1st party with a few select proprietary hits.

I'm hoping Nintendo cuts back on gimmicks and actually tries to impress. This is basically a bid to get back into the console war which has been largely waged between Sony and MS this time around. the only problem I see is regardless of what they've decided to it'll be up against PS4 and whatever name MS comes up with for their next gen console in just over a year or so. meaning ultimately it's not going to be compared to the current generation of consoles, but the next generation. They better come out swinging.

r00tabaga
Jun 7, 2011, 12:10 PM
HOLY FREAKIN' SHIT NINTENDO! AWESOME.

pikachief
Jun 7, 2011, 01:02 PM
The info and new stuff was AWESOME! The presentation was TERRIBLE though! I was super confused thinking that it was just a new controller but then i found out later that its a whole new console that they never even talked about! lol i understand the focus on the cool new controller but they could've talked about and showed the new systems lol

r00tabaga
Jun 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
God I hope PSO2 comes out for this new Wii U! If anyone saw the Zelda demo and the whole array of inventory options ON THE FREAKIN CONTROLLER made me drool about how they could do PSO2. Color me impressed. Some of those "leaked games" were shown today too.....hmmmmmm. -lol

•Col•
Jun 7, 2011, 04:26 PM
Nintendo's focus has always been more about what they want to do and less about what the consumers want.

While I would have agreed with this a day ago..... But not now. If you watch their E3 conference, you'll know what I feel this way. Their entire goal with the Wii U is to appeal to every type of gamer... They're trying to make everyone happy now.

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2011, 06:36 PM
While I would have agreed with this a day ago..... But not now. If you watch their E3 conference, you'll know what I feel this way. Their entire goal with the Wii U is to appeal to every type of gamer... They're trying to make everyone happy now.

if you read my post you'd know I said they need to bring it home this time. I don't know how that could be more obvious that I was withholding judgement regarding the new console. I still am

•Col•
Jun 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
if you read my post you'd know I said they need to bring it home this time. I don't know how that could be more obvious that I was withholding judgement regarding the new console. I still am

Err.... Wha? o.O I wasn't criticizing your feelings about the new console...

You said that Nintendo does what it wants, not what the consumers want... I merely disagreed and said that instead, right now what Nintendo wants to do is to do what the consumers want. Or at least it seems that way.

Dongra
Jun 7, 2011, 07:40 PM
Another misunderstanding blown out of proportion. Stay classy PSOW.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
For all those that havn't seen it here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT5K0EvLZE

Skip to 8:37 to see the third party developer talk, I found that to be the most interesting.
I saw Sega has an Aliens game coming to the Wii U, has anyone heard news from Sega? Or is that all happening tomorrow at E3?

Edit: I also would love to see PSO2 on the Wii U, RPGs would be a blast with this controller. You have handheld screen to play with your items and a place to display stats and meters. So you get to enjoy the HD graphics on a non-cluttered TV screen. It's almost as if they took the duel screen idea to full scale, or... that's exactly what it's like.

NoiseHERO
Jun 7, 2011, 09:33 PM
Looking at the way the system functions, It would probably be an entirely different phantasy star game, or it wouldn't have anything special at all and just play like the PC version, which PSO2 may as well be on other consoles too. Then we just end up in the repeated argument about you PSO2 on consoles would be stupid/preferable, again.

kevlar_pso
Jun 11, 2011, 12:55 AM
I looked all over the place for E3 PSO2 info, but I guess Sega did not have it on display. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next expo, or at least the next Japanese Expo.

darkepyonuk
Jun 11, 2011, 04:46 AM
yea i watched E3, it kinda sucked that they had no mention on anything PS "/

RenzokukenZ
Jun 11, 2011, 05:14 AM
Naturally.

It's too soon to announce a PSP2i US port, and PSO2 will remain behind the curtains until TGS.

Canard de Bain
Jun 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
PSO2 is canceled. DOOOOOOOOM!

joshboyd1209
Jun 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Naturally.

It's too soon to announce a PSP2i US port, and PSO2 will remain behind the curtains until TGS.
Didn't you hear? SEGA has no plans to bring Infinity state-side at the current time or Valkyria Chronicles 3 or any PSP game for that matter.

Kion
Jun 11, 2011, 01:34 PM
Didn't you hear? SEGA has no plans to bring Infinity state-side at the current time or Valkyria Chronicles 3 or any PSP game for that matter.

Source?

joshboyd1209
Jun 11, 2011, 01:37 PM
Source?
Someone met up with RubyEclipse(one of SEGA's employees ) at E3 and asked him about and got told that SEGA wasn't going to bring it state-side.

Dragwind
Jun 11, 2011, 02:49 PM
Let's hope said information isn't accurate at this point.

Malachite
Jun 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't trust anything Josh says, tbh.

joshboyd1209
Jun 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't trust anything Josh says, tbh.

And here is the post where I got my info since you don't believe me.

Hi everyone, I have some unfortunate news for us all.

I met up with RubyEclipse at the SEGA booth and asked him the question that is on many of our minds here at PSOW: "Will there be an English release of PSPo2: Infinity?"

Here is the response that I was given:

As much as I would love to see an English release of Infinity, SEGA West is currently not looking at further PSP development. Games like PSPo2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 did not sell nearly as well as we had hoped that they would. Also, we all have to take into account the heavy amount of piracy that plagues the West. It may happen at some point, but there are currently no plans for it.

In a nutshell, we can blame poor sales and pirates. His response also leads me to believe that we will not be seeing Valkyria Chronicles 3, either. We also discussed how we are both excited for PSO2 and how SEGA is going full-force with that project. Ruby also owns a Japanese copy of Infinity, but he didn't appear to know that Max Attack Infinity is currently live. My guess is that it is because of how busy he has been with E3 preparation.

Malachite
Jun 11, 2011, 04:06 PM
NOPE. STILL DON'T TRUST IT.

Someone who isn't Josh please copy that and paste it again so it can be validated.

olololololoolol ily.

RemiusTA
Jun 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
Pirates?

Calling bullshit until someone creditable can get it from someone else's creditable mouth. Pirates. Whatever. Like pirates dont fucking exist in Japan.

And if it's true, Sega should blame themselves for the failure of these smaller titles. They make no effort for them to gain any kind of popularity here, and so they do not. Nothing begets nothing.

But im not going to lie. PSP2i and its shitty fanservice has no place in the US market. Especially without advertising.

Zarode
Jun 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
Pirates?

Calling bullshit until someone creditable can get it from someone else's creditable mouth. Pirates. Whatever. Like pirates dont fucking exist in Japan.

And if it's true, Sega should blame themselves for the failure of these smaller titles. They make no effort for them to gain any kind of popularity here, and so they do not. Nothing begets nothing.

But im not going to lie. PSP2i and its shitty fanservice has no place in the US market. Especially without advertising.

What shitty fanservice? The beach scene? Really?

•Col•
Jun 12, 2011, 01:01 AM
No NA release for PSP2i.....? D:

NoiseHERO
Jun 12, 2011, 02:08 AM

While I agree with both you, alongside my input of lulz.

I must add People are acting like Infinity is everything in the warudo. But it just looks like an expansion of things the first game should of had, especially if you don't care about the story.

Only thing that I really wanted from it was the gun's 2nd charge shot.

Kion
Jun 12, 2011, 10:24 AM
Well I live in Japan, so I guess I don't miss out on anything.

As for pirates, I'm pretty sure it's more of a problem in America than it is here. Japanese people are generally computer illiterate. You maybe thinking what!!?? don't they live in the future or something?. No they have small cell phones and even those are starting to fall behind the US and Korea. Computer classes here are embarrassing, bitches cant even use word. So generally there simply aren't as many people that can figure out putting cfw on their psp's.

I think it pretty much comes down to is the cost of importing and manufacturing greater than what their profits are going to be. Fans or not their concern is their bottom line.

•Col•
Jun 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
While I agree with both you, alongside my input of lulz.

I must add People are acting like Infinity is everything in the warudo. But it just looks like an expansion of things the first game should of had, especially if you don't care about the story.

Only thing that I really wanted from it was the gun's 2nd charge shot.

PSP2 is the best Phantasy Star game I've played in quite a while. So I was very much looking forward to the Infinity expansion.... Some new gameplay changes, new items, and monsters are nice, but I actually was looking forward to the story. Yeah, the original PSP2's story wasn't great, but I want to be able to play through and see the ending of the PSU-saga. :/ I already beat PSP2 and all three of the PSU episodes.... I want to at least know how it ends.

Niloklives
Jun 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
You realize a troll quoting a troll post for the sake of trolling is still trolling right? Seriously, citing ruby as a source should be your first red flag.

RemiusTA
Jun 12, 2011, 03:20 PM

Hardly the beach scene. Im talking about all of the content in itself. The game tries less to keep to a storyline and they developers just threw in whatever looked good. Magical lolita nipple strings. Im talking mostly about how all the racial outfits are trash and there are rarely any good original outfits in the game. And then there's the merging of the PSO shit in there too.

And Fanservice =/= gameplay. PSP2i is definitely the best PSU experience you'll find gameplay wise. My issues with PSP2i stems from just how terribly generic everything is in the game. PSP2 was the same way for me, but at least everything was manageable to the point i was still interested in buying it.

But i'll admit that although i HATED Emilia as a character visually, i really enjoyed her through her dialogue in the game. I dont know if it was Sega's localization team (which is actually very good), but she was actually pretty funny. I think omitting Voice Acting from US/EU PSP2 was the best (lazy) decision Sega has ever made. I honestly wish they'd do it more often. I also felt this way about Phantasy Star Universe when it was released without actual talking in the dialouge. Sucks they went and screwed it up with AotI and those cheesy ass terrible lines. Localization teams should realize that although that's cool in japan, it's nothing but annoying when you translate it to English because nobody does that in real life here.

Zarode
Jun 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
See, that post right there? That's what is wrong with the fanbase right now. They don't know what the hell they want out of a PSO game now. "Make it more like PSO." So they did, and they even threw in a few stages and enemies to get those nostalgia juices flowing. First thing people do? Bitch. "PSZ did some things cool, do it like them." Sure. Gun PAs, better techs, Forces actually playable beyond buffing and whacksticking. Why not throw in some references to PSZ oh wait that is FANSERVICE.

Man, you guys are going to hate hate HATE PSO2. You know its gonna be full of this sort of stuff. And before anyone says "Well, that's just RemiusTA." I've seen these complaints before, from other posters on many different boards.

But that is exactly what Infinity is...? An expansion on the first game...? Ain't a facepalm big enough for this comment.

NoiseHERO
Jun 12, 2011, 05:50 PM
But that is exactly what Infinity is...? An expansion on the first game...? Ain't a facepalm big enough for this comment.

Face palm at me? @_@

Or are you agreeing with me agreeing with you with rage...? This confuses me.

And I thought I had a lot of unnecessary pent up angst. >__________________>

Either way I've been happy with all of the games in their time so far, except for the genesis games... So you can add me to the list of people that'll only bit about a few little things. Everything I was worried about this game being was cleared with the trailer or than character customization. Everyone else is screwed...

/shrug

RemiusTA
Jun 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
See, that post right there? That's what is wrong with the fanbase right now. They don't know what the hell they want out of a PSO game now. "Make it more like PSO." So they did, and they even threw in a few stages and enemies to get those nostalgia juices flowing. First thing people do? Bitch. "PSZ did some things cool, do it like them." Sure. Gun PAs, better techs, Forces actually playable beyond buffing and whacksticking. Why not throw in some references to PSZ oh wait that is FANSERVICE.

Man, you guys are going to hate hate HATE PSO2. You know its gonna be full of this sort of stuff. And before anyone says "Well, that's just RemiusTA." I've seen these complaints before, from other posters on many different boards.

Oh well excuse me, I didn't know i was in the presence of a guy who can read minds over the internet. Damn. Apparently you must SPECIFICALLY remember me saying "they need to make PSP2i more like PSO" or something. Odd, because i don't remember ever saying anything like that.

For your information, since you mean to throw me into some stupid schema based on my dislike for PSP2i's terrible art direction, i've NEVER wanted Phantasy Star Universe to be more like PSO in any ways other than it being a GOOD GAME. Apparently, you must think when someone says "I want this game to be like PSO", they mean they want it to look like PSO, sound like PSO, smell like PSO, and have its logo in the corner on the title screen. That's absolutely retarded, and i have NEVER suggested that before.

Im sorry if my distaste for 12 year olds girls in frilly pink and yellow skirts, rainbows, heart shaped wands and sparkles, generic shonen hero designs, ugly ass fashion reject leopard skin outfits with 12 pound bellyrings, cast designs with random spikes of metal protruding everywhere and perfectly spherical breasts that defy gravity, furry outfits, school uniform spam, stupidly impossible hair designs, completely over the top animations for weapons that completely remove them from their original function, and dozens upon dozens of fanservice outfits, some from various manga and others that are mostly ALL void of pants (or anything that would effectively restrict a panty shot / showing copious amounts of skin), most of which you wouldn't be surprised to see featured in a PORNO is something that bothers you.

Once again, just my opinions. You dont have to share them. But dont put words in my mouth. It's annoying, and makes you look bad when the person makes you realize you were wrong.

OH, and this is just for you, Zarode. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service)In case you dont feel like reading it, here's some copypasta!

Fan service (ファンサービス fan sābisu, fanservice, or service cut (サービスカット sābisu katto is a term originating from anime and manga fandom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_anime_and_manga) for material in a series which is intentionally added to please the audience.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service#cite_note-PCDC-2) It is about "servicing" the fan[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service#cite_note-3) - giving the fans "exactly what they want".[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service#cite_note-4) Fan service usually refers to "gratuitous (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gratuitous) titillation (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/titillation)",[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service#cite_note-5) but can also refer to intertextual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertextual) references to other series.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service#cite_note-PCDC-2)
In case you dont know what "gratuitous titillation" is, it basically means "just for you to be sexually aroused." The PSO influence is the least of my issues with that game, but it was pretty funny to see them completely butcher the storyline in an attempt to have it made cannon.

And to correct your original assumption...What bothers me about PSP2/i is NOT that it isn't like PSO. What bothers me is that it does not look like a Phantasy Star game anymore. It looks like an anime mashup fest. PLAYS like Phantasy Star, sure, but looks nothing like it. PSU and PSO both contained themselves within their own world. PSP2/PSP2i has reached everywhere from Evangelion to KFC for content, but the amount of original PS content is dwarfed by the outside influences. They've taken all the art content from PSU (the different outfit manufacturers, the line shield designs, EVERYTHING) and thrown it out the window, only to have it replaced with shitty designs from manga artist contest to see who can (creatively) show the most skin off.

It's gotten popular not because it's unique. It's gotten popular because it's ridiculously cliche. This isn't a problem by itself, no. The game is still very fun, and those items are very neat to play with. But jesus, the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Zarode
Jun 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
10% of the content isn't from Sega. AUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

Im sorry if my distaste for 12 year olds girls in frilly pink and yellow skirts, rainbows, heart shaped wands and sparkles, generic shonen hero designs, ugly ass fashion reject leopard skin outfits with 12 pound bellyrings, cast designs with random spikes of metal protruding everywhere and perfectly spherical breasts that defy gravity, furry outfits, school uniform spam, stupidly impossible hair designs, completely over the top animations for weapons that completely remove them from their original function, and dozens upon dozens of fanservice outfits, some from various manga and others that are mostly ALL void of pants (or anything that would effectively restrict a panty shot / showing copious amounts of skin), most of which you wouldn't be surprised to see featured in a PORNO is something that bothers you.

Ahahaha, oh my god. To think I almost skipped over this. How long have you been playing the Phantasy Star series?

RemiusTA
Jun 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
10% of the content isn't from Sega. AUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHOf course there's a huge % of the game done by sega. But the bulk of the expansion itself? Try again.

Ahahaha, oh my god. To think I almost skipped over this. How long have you been playing the Phantasy Star series?Since PS4. And we've all played PSO and PSU.

...What, are you trying to imply this has been a staple of the series for longer than PSP2i? Are you SERIOUS? Please say you aren't. Don't downplay it like it isn't new. I may exaggerate it, but lets both be rationally honest.

yoshiblue
Jun 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
Can't we use hair spray and hair jell to achieve such hair styles? With the time to grow your hair out of course.

I'm sorry for going off topic.

RemiusTA
Jun 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
It's okay, you're absolutely right anyway. You'd probably look retarded, but you could.

Im growing tired of this forum. Every opinion becomes a product of some long seated argument between fan groups. And it's stupid.

yoshiblue
Jun 12, 2011, 10:46 PM
Its not an argument. I was just asking.

Alnet
Jun 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
Im growing tired of this forum. Every opinion becomes a product of some long seated argument between fan groups. And it's stupid.
It's not going to get better. In fact, the more information we get, it's just going to get worse. And ultimately, these will be the people you'll be seeing ingame, should you decide to buy it.

More on topic, we should be waiting for the next Japanese game expo for more info. When's this year's TGS scheduled to appear?

Tetsaru
Jun 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
More on topic, we should be waiting for the next Japanese game expo for more info. When's this year's TGS scheduled to appear?

Most links Google is giving me is saying September 15-18.

RemiusTA
Jun 12, 2011, 11:46 PM
Its not an argument. I was just asking.

Oh i wasn't talking about you, lol.

And ultimately, these will be the people you'll be seeing ingame, should you decide to buy it.

thats the hilarious thing about it, really.

And did you guys kind of forget the Japanese are going to conduct the alpha test next month? We wont have to wait much longer for information, since a few people will actually be playing the game. I highly doubt they'll be able to keep all of them from leaking anything.

Niloklives
Jun 13, 2011, 01:00 AM
I thought we were supposed to get more info around May 20th. what happened with that?

Zaix
Jun 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
May 20th had no significance other than the cutoff date for alpha code registrations.

Jinto117
Jun 13, 2011, 02:45 AM

^This

Part of the reason why Japanese game development is poor these days.

Niloklives
Jun 13, 2011, 03:14 AM
May 20th had no significance other than the cutoff date for alpha code registrations.

No, sekai said to look for more information around the same time as the alpha registration closed. Go read his letter again

Miyoko
Jun 13, 2011, 04:53 AM
No, sekai said to look for more information around the same time as the alpha registration closed. Go read his letter again

Maybe it was mistranslated? Or emailed under an NDA? Or emailed and nobody from here got the email? Or maybe it's just Sega being Sega?

Kion
Jun 13, 2011, 05:13 AM
I highly doubt they'll be able to keep all of them from leaking anything.

People leak fluids. That's a fact.

I double checked. In his first letter on the main page, he said "we'll be releasing more information (hopefully) before the alpha starts".

募集期間: 2011年2月24日(木)~5月20日(金)17:00まで
参加人数: 数千人規模から開始予定
テストの状況に応じて順次追加していきます。
参加資格: 日本国内に居住し、積極的にαテストへ参加いただける方
αテスト基準動作環境を満たしたPCをお持ちの方
αテスト実施期間: 2011年夏予定
詳細な日時は後日発表いたします。
当選者発表方法 当選発表は、当選者様宛の通知メールをもって代えさせていただきます。
当選通知メールは2011年6月中旬以降に配信予定

This is from the alpha test page. It says they'll be sending out the emails in the latter half of June. And that it will take place over the summer. School gets out for summer break in the second half of July. So we shouldn't expect any new information until early next month at best.

Mike
Jun 13, 2011, 05:17 AM
May 20th was the end of cutoff date for the alpha drawing registration. That's it. I would expect some new info sometime soon though since we're nearing the middle of June.

Niloklives
Jun 13, 2011, 03:21 PM
nah, as Kion pointed out I had forgotten the exact wording. Impatience is getting to me.

r00tabaga
Jun 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
Impatience is getting to me.

You speak for us all buddy.

Kion
Jun 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
I didn't notice the information on the alpha page before. I was thinking the video meant that they already had a playable alpha. I guess we still have a way to go.