PDA

View Full Version : Game Mods

Palle
Jun 9, 2011, 04:09 PM
No, not those kind. No, not those either.

So I've been having trouble finding stuff to play. Other than Blue Burst, I have a bunch of network games that I'm not keen to solo at present. Looking for a diversion, I thought about picking up Thief on Steam, but reconsidered since I was already a little familiar with the vanilla version. Then I remembered that some people here have done some modding, and I thought maybe I'd try it out as a diversion from grinding away @ MMOs etc.

So I'm looking for any pointers/recommendations you may have. Just don't recommend Fallout 3 as I have beaten that to hell and back on 360. ;)

Outrider
Jun 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
I enjoyed the Bender custom character for Unreal Tournament back in 1999.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 9, 2011, 04:21 PM
Minecraft mods. Hookshot one looks like fun, if it's been updated.

Left 4 Dead 2 has some neat custom servers, a personal favorite of mine being Tank Rush. You have a max of 12 players at once, a max of 6 tanks at once, and a couple boss tanks at the end. If you get incapped (And you will), you can crawl slowly at the cost of your incap life running out a little faster. You can also help yourself if you have any kind of healing item. If someone kills a tank, everyone gets full life and anyone incapped gets back up. The idea isn't really to fight the tanks though, it's mostly to get the safe room as fast as possible. It's really easy to get juggled by five tanks. Trust me, I know. ;~;

Outrider
Jun 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
Minecraft mods. Hookshot one looks like fun, if it's been updated.

Left 4 Dead 2 has some neat custom servers, a personal favorite of mine being Tank Rush. You have a max of 12 players at once, a max of 6 tanks at once, and a couple boss tanks at the end. If you get incapped (And you will), you can crawl slowly at the cost of your incap life running out a little faster. You can also help yourself if you have any kind of healing item. If someone kills a tank, everyone gets full life and anyone incapped gets back up. The idea isn't really to fight the tanks though, it's mostly to get the safe room as fast as possible. It's really easy to get juggled by five tanks. Trust me, I know. ;~;

Okay, both of those sound awesome. I'll have to try them out.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 9, 2011, 04:38 PM
Mind you, that's only for the PC version of L4D2, because Microsoft doesn't like fun. ;[

Scrub
Jun 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
mount and musket mod for Warband is pretty good shit.

lots of good mods for warband if you wanna look for them actually

SpikeOtacon
Jun 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Complete 2009 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009) for S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl transforms the game's looks from being occasionally nice to downright hideous to one of the best looking games i've played. It also cleans up some of the wonkier gameplay elements to make it a bit better to play.

Low image quality due to the default compression ratio, in game it looks a ton cleaner and nicer. I should see if I can find my moonlit shots I took, such a gorgeous addition.
[spoiler-box]http://k.min.us/ienV6o.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Outrider
Jun 9, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mind you, that's only for the PC version of L4D2, because Microsoft doesn't like fun. ;[

Lucky for me that I have the PC version. Do I need to install anything to use those servers or is it really just a server configuration thing (so I can just jump in and play)?

Complete 2009 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009) for S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl transforms the game's looks from being occasionally nice to downright hideous to one of the best looking games i've played. It also cleans up some of the wonkier gameplay elements to make it a bit better to play.

I think I have that installed. I'm not really sure - I picked up STALKER from Steam for about $2 a year or two ago, and I remember installing multiple mods, at least one of which was supposed to improve the graphics. It definitely look good. I just didn't wind up playing the game for more than an hour.

SpikeOtacon
Jun 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
Lucky for me that I have the PC version. Do I need to install anything to use those servers or is it really just a server configuration thing (so I can just jump in and play)?

All server-side. Just find the IP for a server running the mod, connect to it and BOOM.

Lots of booms.

I think I have that installed. I'm not really sure - I picked up STALKER from Steam for about $2 a year or two ago, and I remember installing multiple mods, at least one of which was supposed to improve the graphics. It definitely look good. I just didn't wind up playing the game for more than an hour.

STALKER is a hard game to get into for sure, but once you go past a certain hump in difficulty and start getting the right equipment, it takes off.

KodiaX987
Jun 9, 2011, 05:51 PM
Borderlands is also a good contender if you don't mind an overwhelmance of badlands scenery. Otherwise it gives you a PSO-esque experience with massive loot rain and the potential to play with some insanely fun weapons. Like revolvers with acid rounds. And shotguns that shoot rockets (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Carnage).

Zarode
Jun 9, 2011, 06:54 PM
PC version has a couple of custom areas floating around, made by the community. They add some interesting challenges, in the limits that they can be made.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
You can stay away from the Gundam/PSO Oblivagans (as seen in what, cats baby thread?) bcuz its still that game.

Palle
Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 PM
You can stay away from the Gundam/PSO Oblivagans (as seen in what, cats baby thread?) bcuz its still that game.

Obliviganza? Tony Danza?

These shootan games, I am not the good. Very pretty though, that STALKER, almost as pretty as the Tarkovsky film of samename.

Randomness
Jun 9, 2011, 11:38 PM
Obliviganza? Tony Danza?

These shootan games, I am not the good. Very pretty though, that STALKER, almost as pretty as the Tarkovsky film of samename.

Oh god, you're sounding like Haya.

Boogie Troll
Jun 9, 2011, 11:49 PM
He still has a little while to go don't worry.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 9, 2011, 11:58 PM
Oh god, you're sounding like Haya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcbAuCU55Q

"Time to lay down some Serious Sounds"

AlexCraig
Jun 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
Just don't recommend Fallout 3 as I have beaten that to hell and back on 360. ;)

Okay then. Fallout New Vegas :wacko: