PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia thread

Reksanden
Jun 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Well, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread in which to tell us of your past experiences that you can share. These don't have to be like "When I got that one weapon". They can be those good moments known only to you and those you played with.

For me, my story was when I still had the GC version of PSO. I had just discovered that there was a challenge mode while playing with my nephew. We started it, and were shocked to find that we were back at level one(He was level 20 while I was in the 80's), and had none of our old equipment. My nephew(Bubba) didn't want try it because he thought he would have to re-level his character, but I persuaded him into trying it. We had fun because for once we were at the same level and strengths. He couldn't blame me for killing everything and I couldn't blame him for dying all the time. We never actually got far, as we got killed by the dragon continually, until we'd leveled enough. Then ect cetera, we did the same for the caves. Later, we realized that you could get rares for beating it fast enough, and we spent days trying, until finally, one of us got one(the Chameleon Scythe, i think)...

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
I remember finding my dad's copy of Leisure Suit Larry which my Uncle Bob gave him just after getting our new 386, and sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to play it while he was asleep. MIDI cards in those days cost up to $300, so we decided to settle on the PC speaker which only has one volume setting - fucking loud as shit. It just peeled through the silence and there was always a mad frantic rush to find a pillow or blanket or something to muffle the sound until I could get into the game and shut down the sound followed by several tense moments that felt like hours listening breathlessly in the silence to see if I had been discovered.

That was the first adventure game I ever completed all by myself, because there was no internet back then and I knew that I'd be busted if I tried to buy the hint book on one of our routine trips up to Walden Software.

The opening theme is now my ringtone. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGqnzK7xYg

Anduril
Jun 10, 2011, 06:56 PM
It was the smell of Christmas and cleaning supplies. There I was, just a young tyke of ten, and my hands held my first Game Boy, and in the game slot was the height of the current gaming craze: Pokemon. It was the first time that I had a video game that was just for me; before that moment I always had to share any games with my older sister, so I rarely got to play a game if it wasn't a two player one. I still remember it as a moment of joy and freedom; I didn't even care that I had asked for a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Blue, but they got me a blue Color Game Boy Pocket with Pokemon Red, I was just so happy to have gotten it, in fact I still have them. Oh to be ten again, without a real care in the world.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
during grade school (I think 6th Grade) one of my friends was staying at our house for the weekend because his mom and sister were at a soccer tournament I think. One of my school friends was also there that day and he would be staying that Friday night as well. We made our way to the game room and got PSOGC booted up and began a PSO marathon in 3 player splitscreen. We played for hours and hours then woke up the next morning and played for hours. That was one of the most fun days we had.... but we did not get a happy ending :( the morning after that one the evilness that is file corruption came to my door for the first time, so we lost all the progress we had just made and were pretty pissed, but now that part doesn't really matter to me, it was an amazing 2 days none the less.

Another of my most nostalgic moments would have to be my beating of Majora's Mask which i finally beat last winter (about time i know), i was at my friends birthday party and a while a whole bunch of them were outside in the dark zombie larping, 2 of us were inside being boring bastards playing Majora's Mask (since i had brought my GC memory card so we had all the SSBM characters and stages) and since i was already almost done with the stone tower temple i got to the boss pretty quickly. Most of the people had come inside by now since it was late and since everyone seemed interested to see the boss fight i just continued playing. I had gotten to 0 on my magic meter, and i had taken down one of the snakes and i had 1 arrow left to kill the last one or i was pretty much screwed, and to make matters worse it was the final day, so i shot the arrow into the dust cloud where the snake was coming out of, and having no idea how much health the thing had I had pretty much thrown in the towel, but low and behold, the arrow found its mark and the snake exploded ending the boss fight. I felt pretty darn awesome being watched by a bunch of my friends and getting a last chance kill. I went on to easily beat Majora afterwards.

Xefi
Jun 11, 2011, 11:38 AM
when i first got my Sega Genensis system with Sonic the Hedgehog game
back when i was still in Elementary School. that was pretty cool.

or a trip to my cousins house. it was amazing back then because they have
a bunch of Sega & Super Nintendo games. i could just stay there forever. :cat:

and this game with uber old-school songs:
comments: Thorne looks like Guile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBy6Fj9HhPg&feature=related

Delete
Jun 13, 2011, 08:03 AM
There are way too many, but a few that stand out would have to be playing Shenmue for the first time. I kept saying I don't like playing these kind of games but when I finally gave it a try, it was the best thing ever. Also getting a PS2 and GTA vice city (i hadn't played Gta 3) was probably another one of the greatest moments in gaming for me....the freedom to go anywhere and do anything was unbelievable. As mentioned above, Pokemon Blue was another, it was one of my first real RPG's I got into.....I wasn't into FF games.

Monochrome
Jun 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
I remember walking home from school one day thinking, "Man, I wish I were Mega Man X!"