PDA

View Full Version : Imports

Outrider
Jun 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Somebody convince me that it's not worth it for me to import The Last Story on Wii for $40 even though I only have an American Wii and I don't understand Japanese and there's still a tiny chance it could be released in the US.

ShinMaruku
Jun 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
んはひ とつ.
No, just no. If you don't understand it then hell no.
As stated above it is one.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 15, 2011, 06:01 PM
*Picture of Daigo/Mago/3rd guy with all your money.*
:cheese:

TalHex
Jun 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
unless you can understand it, it probably won't be worth it.

ShinMaruku
Jun 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
unless you can understand it, it probably won't be worth it.
Well said.

Sord
Jun 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Go crazy, waist your money, buy a box of moon runes.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 12:37 AM
Ha ha, whoops.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2011, 02:10 AM
Bought a Saturn game from the SMT series with the GUNCOMP's and guy with a police tape turban, WOAH JAPAN!

http://hg101.kontek.net/megaten/devilsummoner1.htm

Never played. Didn't even figure out if I can or online translizated Engrish anywhere.

Weeaboolits
Jun 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
Since it's an action game from the looks of it, you might be able to wade through it, depending on how complicated the menus are, but if you think there's a chance for it to be localized, I'd say wait.

Also, it's $80 on Pay Asia and AmiAmi, although you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 01:49 PM
Since it's an action game from the looks of it, you might be able to wade through it, depending on how complicated the menus are, but if you think there's a chance for it to be localized, I'd say wait.

Also, it's $80 on Pay Asia and AmiAmi, although you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

I don't see it getting localized. Also, it was $40 when I grabbed it from Play-Asia last night.

I figured I got through a good chunk of Phantasy Star Zero in Japanese, so between sheer stubbornness and the many FAQs online, I'll be able to get the hang of it.

Now to figure out the easiest way to actually play it.

Alnet
Jun 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Isn't the Wii region-locked, though? You'd have to buy a whole new console if that's the case.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 05:39 PM
Isn't the Wii region-locked, though? You'd have to buy a whole new console if that's the case.

There are ways to get around the problem, but yeah, none of them are easy.

Weeaboolits
Jun 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
I don't see it getting localized. Also, it was $40 when I grabbed it from Play-Asia last night.

I figured I got through a good chunk of Phantasy Star Zero in Japanese, so between sheer stubbornness and the many FAQs online, I'll be able to get the hang of it.

Now to figure out the easiest way to actually play it.Hopefully the menus aren't too kanji heavy, Phantasy Star games tend to use a lot of katakana, naming most things in English even, which makes them easy to wade through.

When did the game come out? RPGs usually take a while to localize anyway.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hopefully the menus aren't too kanji heavy, Phantasy Star games tend to use a lot of katakana, naming most things in English even, which makes them easy to wade through.

When did the game come out? RPGs usually take a while to localize anyway.

It came out at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, it's one of a number of JRPGs that Nintendo of America has been more and more quiet about as time has gone by. Considering we're going to see a new system in about a year and they're unwilling to talk about The Last Story (or Xenoblade, or others), it's somewhat unlikely that we'll see it in the US.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Hey, it wouldn't be the first time I picked up a game in Japanese, wound up playing it until the language barrier forced me to stop, and then purchased the English version later on. That's how I got into Phantasy Star Zero.

Weeaboolits
Jun 16, 2011, 07:24 PM
I actually imported Virtual-On Force recently (hurray for region free), even though it's only been out for like 6 months and still stands a chance of being localized, since I don't trust Sega.

If it does get localized, buying it again.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
Imported tags into a forum which we can't use tags on topics.

MODHAX

Sinue_v2
Jun 16, 2011, 07:36 PM
José is all in favor of importing, and thinks you should do it by whatever means necessary if you have to.

http://blogs.reuters.com/macroscope/files/2009/08/2009-08-02t225636z_01_was04_rtrmdnp_3_usa-unemployment-profiles.jpg

Language barriers are overrated.
Doo eet mang!

Sord
Jun 16, 2011, 07:44 PM
I've considered Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, 'cause I'm getting sick of waiting for a port over here. And it's not like MH is terribly text heavy in actual gameplay (Tri was in the village, but personally I felt Tri was the worst edition to the series for a few reasons. Not that it was terrible, but it certainly was not up to par.)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
And people imported that one because of all those fancy controller/console bundles and finally big Wii online RPG, then it came out eventually over here without many fixes to the problems. Sounds like this topic.

-
[spoiler-box]
& I admit, clicked all over this place and its randomizer image display of cheapo prices, seeing clear Dreamcast mouse, even though I have a regular one and never used it-no idea where it can even be used!

http://www.gameofjapan.com/index.php

http://www.gameofjapan.com/product_info.php?products_id=8088

BOXARTZ, everything is always rated B, and of course prob some scam co site, take your moneys, send you nothing.[/spoiler-box]

Shinji Kazuya
Jun 16, 2011, 08:20 PM
If you can't read Japanese don't do it. It's horrible not being able to understand what's written on the screen :<

ShinMaruku
Jun 16, 2011, 08:24 PM
Look for a EU version. Nintendo of Europe may have translated it into English. People forget Europe gets more games than NA in the long run.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
Those guys got Dreamcast Shenmue 2.

Saw it in EB Games, didn't ask about price. Waited for XBLOX hueg version much much later.

Shinji Kazuya
Jun 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
Look for a EU version. Nintendo of Europe may have translated it into English. People forget Europe gets more games than NA in the long run.

Ya. Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles > <

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 09:04 PM

NOE is bringing over Xenoblade, but not The Last Story.

Shinji Kazuya
Jun 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
NOE is bringing over Xenoblade, but not The Last Story.

Here's hoping that they pick up The Last Story after puting out Xenoblade Chronicles. Can always wish.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2011, 09:40 PM
Here's hoping that they pick up The Last Story after puting out Xenoblade Chronicles. Can always wish.

That's true. It would definitely be nice!

Let's just hope that if they do that I don't make the dumb mistake of picking up the European import (only for it to finally come out in the US.)

TalHex
Jun 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Aye, I wouldn't mind picking up Xenoblade myself