PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Video Games Voting Results

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 23, 2011, 11:55 PM
http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/winninggames.pdf
Above is the list of video games that will be featured in the Smithsonian Exhibit in 2012 (as voted on by the public).

Randomness
Jun 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
Obvious winners across the board. No PSO, surprising, I recall it was an option.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah it was PSO for the Dreamcast competing with in the adventure category, lost to: Shenmue.

I noticed Tales of Symphonia lost to Wind Walker, that was a tough call. I voted for Tales because it was my favorite RPG, and I knew Zelda would get plenty of votes. Come to think of it (as odd as it may sound) Wind Walker was my favorite Zelda simply because it had a great story and an open ocean to explore, and the puzzled weren't bad either.

For the most part I'm happy with the results, I didn't notice any big upsets... I love that Shadow of the Colossus beat out God of War for Action on the PS2.

Randomness
Jun 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
Shadow of the Colossus losing would have been pretty sad. It's one of the most deserving of all the winners of being showcased in museum.

Weeaboolits
Jun 24, 2011, 06:50 AM
Zelda had too many nominations, ruined the chances for other games that deserved to be in there too.

Should I vote for Earthbound or Chrono Trigger? Fuck, Zelda got nominated for that category too, I WONDER WHO'S GONNA WIN. Monster Hunter also got nominated into the same category as a Zelda game.

Also was pretty mad that Geometry Wars beat Ikaruga.

RenzokukenZ
Jun 24, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hell yeah, Final Fantasy Tactics!

Shame Lunar didn't win, but against FF7 it was bound to happen.

Mantiskilla
Jun 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
Pretty good list over all and Gradius V making the cut is NICE! Kinda surprised to see that Espgaluda was in the running though considering that was a japan region only game. Would have liked to have seen more shooter representation however such as the excellent Radiant Silvergun which was also a game from Treasure just like Gradius V

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Zelda had too many nominations, ruined the chances for other games that deserved to be in there too.

Should I vote for Earthbound or Chrono Trigger? Fuck, Zelda got nominated for that category too, I WONDER WHO'S GONNA WIN. Monster Hunter also got nominated into the same category as a Zelda game.

Also was pretty mad that Geometry Wars beat Ikaruga.

Chrono Trigger should have won that category imo, Link to the Past didn't mold the adventure RPG category as Chrono Trigger did at that time. Eathbound should have also beat Link to the Past simply because it was so quirky that it to changed the adventure RPG format.

Was Ikaruga on Xbox 360 download? Geometry Wars may have won because more people had a chance to play it. But Ikaruga had been out for awhile before, I remember it on the GameCube.

Alnet
Jun 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
Was Ikaruga on Xbox 360 download? Geometry Wars may have won because more people had a chance to play it. But Ikaruga had been out for awhile before, I remember it on the GameCube.
It was. And Ikaruga was a gorgeous game as well.

Valkyria Chronicles
YE--

Ohwait, there is no Valkyria Chronicles. HRNGHN.

Rashiid
Jun 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
You also have to consider of how many people here knew about Zelda over knowing what Chrono Trigger was. All JRPGs were word of mouth at that time and sadly still are for the most part. Zelda was already somewhat well known.

I'll be going to this when it's out. I'm a 20 minute Metro ride away from the Smithsonian. Come to think of it...all of my recent dates have been at the Smithsonian first >_>

FOkyasuta
Jun 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
Shoulda put Mainstream in the title. Cause from what the list has put out, Thats what im seeing. Honestly, IMO thought they should add more genres.

Milla
Jun 24, 2011, 06:04 PM
Well at least Skies of arcadia got acknowledged, still should of won though. >.>

Rashiid
Jun 24, 2011, 06:11 PM
I've actually never heard of a "target" genre, lol.

FOkyasuta
Jun 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
Well at least Skies of arcadia got acknowledged, still should of won though. >.>
Yeah i agree. But theres countless other games that should have been right?

Rashiid
Jun 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
Eh, who are we to tell what games are good or not.

yoshiblue
Jun 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
I didn't know there was a Panzer Dragoon for the 360. I must have it.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 25, 2011, 01:23 AM
You also have to consider of how many people here knew about Zelda over knowing what Chrono Trigger was. All JRPGs were word of mouth at that time and sadly still are for the most part. Zelda was already somewhat well known.

I'll be going to this when it's out. I'm a 20 minute Metro ride away from the Smithsonian. Come to think of it...all of my recent dates have been at the Smithsonian first >_>

It sounds like you have the next date night all sown up! :-D
Maybe they are calling it "target" instead of shooter because shooter would involve all the first person shooters, and that is a wide genre.

Did anyone notice that Shigeru Miyamoto created ten of the games on the winning list. You could count twelve if you included Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy 2, but I guess he wasn't apart of those games, he just created the characters.