PDA

View Full Version : No Such Thing Rank Leaderboards

Tasmanian
Jul 7, 2011, 06:40 PM
Why do people think there in the top ten players on psu!?

Just to let people know there is no leaderboards
so you can not say your one of the top ten players on psu.

You Can Say Your One Of The Best Players!!
Its just a game you can enjoy playing solo or with overs.

DuSTiNNNNN
Jul 7, 2011, 06:47 PM
Please go back to the 4th floor...

Tasmanian
Jul 7, 2011, 06:54 PM
Not a 4th floor bumb I pay to play & enjoy the game Not to waste my money $10 or £6.99 a Month

Midori Oku
Jul 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
There are time attack leaderboards on the official forums. Sure, not everyone in the game posts there but it is the closest thing we have.

BIG OLAF
Jul 7, 2011, 07:56 PM
People play PSU for different reasons. There's hardcore people that play to "be the best", or have the best stuff, or what have you. Then, there are people that like to just run missions, hang with friends, and just casually play the game.

Then, of course, there's the people that sit on the 4th floor and pay $10 a month for an animated chatroom service. But they do have that right, since that's how they want to play.

The biggest thing to remember is to not put people down just because they play the game differently than you do. Everyone has a playstyle preference.

Nereid
Jul 7, 2011, 09:26 PM
Or put everyone down for everything! That makes you cool!

Rekreant
Jul 7, 2011, 11:02 PM
Nereid is right.

Keilyn
Jul 7, 2011, 11:56 PM

Just to let people know there is no leaderboards
so you can not say your one of the top ten players on psu.

You Can Say Your One Of The Best Players!!
Its just a game you can enjoy playing solo or with overs.

I love PSU because I don't have to compete in it. Its a game for kids populated by adults with Artificial Intelligence meant for kids. I don't know of any board except for the time attack garbage sega posts that will attempt to quantify who is "best" by how fast they can kill monsters with AI programming below that of a child.

However psu went from being the cheapest P2P game out there to becoming the most expensive P2W game of our time.

P2W means "Pay to Win." A term popularized by games with cash shops that give advantages to players, resulting in the top players being the ones who dump the most money into the system. In short "Pay To Win" and I've spoken to players in PSU-JP who have spent over $10,000 on their weapons, equipment and other things....specially Japanese players combined with their RMT purchases just so they can prove the "larger penis theory"

George Carlin once spoke about "The larger penis foreign policy theory" saying "What? They have larger penises? Bomb Them" same thing in PSU.....One person has a 49% weapon and another has a 50% weapon...The player with the 49% weapon will feel deprived and weak until he or she gets a 50% weapon of the same type. It happens.

The best thing is that PSU treats Alpha-Personalities by far the worse and actually caters to the other personalities while every other game in the world rewards the Alpha-Personalities a lot stronger.

Well I've said my piece ^_^. Good Luck

Shou
Jul 8, 2011, 12:20 AM
You can have decent gear and still get really close to the best times, so its really no big deal. I would just ignore them.

Dragwind
Jul 8, 2011, 08:09 AM
I still remember when someone came here and claimed they were "top 5% of techers" or something like that.

darkante
Jul 8, 2011, 09:23 AM
I wish i could understand the reason on wasting so much money for a little show-off.

w@rtech nation
Jul 8, 2011, 11:24 AM
Im in the top ten of alot things psu related. Coolest, trustworthy, funny, trollin, and luckest to name a few!

RagolianHunter
Jul 8, 2011, 11:31 AM
I wish i could understand the reason on wasting so much money for a little show-off.

I don't understand how it is showing off.

I mean yeah to some it might be but I believe that most seek out elite gear to land elite times which is fun to them.

Not everyone is an arragont asshole that has nice gear...they might just be highly competitive players. Nothing wrong with competition.

Two Cents.

Vintasticvin
Jul 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
I don't understand how it is showing off.

I mean yeah to some it might be but I believe that most seek out elite gear to land elite times which is fun to them.

Not everyone is an arragont asshole that has nice gear...they might just be highly competitive players. Nothing wrong with competition.

Two Cents.

The highly competitive players do tend to get a liiiitle out of hand at times.

BIG OLAF
Jul 8, 2011, 11:53 AM

Because it's human nature to want to consider yourself "superior" to other humans. We're all guilty of it in one way or another. It's just when you get all up in other people's faces about it is it a problem.

Omega-z
Jul 8, 2011, 12:03 PM
I believe the first MAG and also the second in the US counts as competitively also since it had a leader board too.

darkante
Jul 8, 2011, 01:26 PM
Because it's human nature to want to consider yourself "superior" to other humans. We're all guilty of it in one way or another. It's just when you get all up in other people's faces about it is it a problem.

Yeah, but still...

Dragwind
Jul 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
Competition drives progress and improvement. It's a huge motivator whether some of us want to admit it or not.

Isolde
Jul 8, 2011, 01:32 PM

Consider yourself *very* fortunate to have never had the displeasure of meeting SAtaarcoeny. He is the best 'Mage' in PSU and has a hot girlfriend who he shares a mansion with and travels around the world, LOL.

Keilyn
Jul 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
Competition drives progress and improvement. It's a huge motivator whether some of us want to admit it or not.

This has always been true in marketing and business, but it only works when the competition is structured. Even markets attempt to take matters in their own hands by answering failure by attempting to get laws passed in their favor.

Example are all the emission laws that hurt small oil companies who can't pay for upgrading their equipment to meet new standards and while the large oil company may spend millions in doing the same, they know the smaller oil companies are going to sell to the larger oil companies resulting in a legal land monopoly.

Think I am full of it? This is exactly what happened in New Jersey and Massachusetts.

As far as video games go, even competition has to be regulated and needs a team of delegates to handle certain aspects. There is no "positive" nature towards seeing groups of self imposed alpha-males making fun of other people because they do not follow the exact same choices they make..

I've already dealt with people in this forum who make accusations on me...and I know those accusations come not because of "real life accomplishment" but the barrier that is created when one thinks they are higher than someone due to their status in an online game as well as their post count and that never seems healthy to me.

Of course one can say "maybe you would do it to if you were in their position" and the answer to that is a giant "hell no" as I've been in higher positions in gaming in global competitions in leagues and divisions and I spend more of my time getting to know others than throwing holier-than-thou rants everywhere..

....Seems more like Competition is driven in PSU by the fear if one doesn't spend money or do what they need to do they will become less popular in the eyes of others or less popular in the forum boards.

I've seen most people here act friendlier in-game and things are nicer in there, but those very same return here and act like they are beyond reckoning...Like the people who RMT their equipment just so they can say they have a bigger penis than everyone else.

bloodflowers
Jul 8, 2011, 03:00 PM
Consider yourself *very* fortunate to have never had the displeasure of meeting SAtaarcoeny. He is the best 'Mage' in PSU and has a hot girlfriend who he shares a mansion with and travels around the world, LOL.

I miss him. So amusing to laugh at.

milranduil
Jul 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
This has always been true in marketing and business, but it only works when the competition is structured. Even markets attempt to take matters in their own hands by answering failure by attempting to get laws passed in their favor.

Example are all the emission laws that hurt small oil companies who can't pay for upgrading their equipment to meet new standards and while the large oil company may spend millions in doing the same, they know the smaller oil companies are going to sell to the larger oil companies resulting in a legal land monopoly.

Think I am full of it? This is exactly what happened in New Jersey and Massachusetts.

As far as video games go, even competition has to be regulated and needs a team of delegates to handle certain aspects. There is no "positive" nature towards seeing groups of self imposed alpha-males making fun of other people because they do not follow the exact same choices they make..

I've already dealt with people in this forum who make accusations on me...and I know those accusations come not because of "real life accomplishment" but the barrier that is created when one thinks they are higher than someone due to their status in an online game as well as their post count and that never seems healthy to me.

Of course one can say "maybe you would do it to if you were in their position" and the answer to that is a giant "hell no" as I've been in higher positions in gaming in global competitions in leagues and divisions and I spend more of my time getting to know others than throwing holier-than-thou rants everywhere..

....Seems more like Competition is driven in PSU by the fear if one doesn't spend money or do what they need to do they will become less popular in the eyes of others or less popular in the forum boards.

I've seen most people here act friendlier in-game and things are nicer in there, but those very same return here and act like they are beyond reckoning...Like the people who RMT their equipment just so they can say they have a bigger penis than everyone else.

Did it ever occur to you the holier-than-thou rants are actually just you?

Also, RMT can simply be about making money off of one game to go buy stuff in another. Nothing wrong with that...

THLPSC
Jul 8, 2011, 03:59 PM

He owns his own company now get with the times.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2632592#post2632592

Dragwind
Jul 8, 2011, 09:51 PM
Well, that's not what I was referring to at all. That was just a general statement not geared towards anything other than the basic premise that some people are just competitive regardless of the playing field and rules set forth. Sometimes it's for a positive reason, sometimes personal.

PSU, oil companies, or professional gaming, it happens.

You could argue even people who engage in potato sack racing competitions are on uneven playing fields. Sometimes competition is just... fun.

Cloudstrife xx
Jul 9, 2011, 09:38 AM
Dragwind i like you alot right now your last two posts about competition i couldnt agree more atleast some have a grasp that competition drives us as human beings

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2011, 09:43 AM
Except some people aren't competitive, and have no desire to be. Then, some of the competitive people find it "fun" to verbally stomp all over us and belittle us just because we don't give two shits about who has better virtual weapons on a video game.

That's like if a football player ran up to some random fan in the crowd and starting making fun of him because he didn't have the athletic skills the player has.

It's nice to be competitive, but it's not for everyone.

Cloudstrife xx
Jul 9, 2011, 10:06 AM
From the day before you are even born you are competative only 1 sperm can make it to the egg
if you have a sibling you will have a rival with them at a young age no matter what you say when you go to get your first job you have to be better than anyone else to get that said job no? competition is all around us its very hard to avoid it.

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm aware that it's "all around us", but I simply don't partake in it. I suppose it's a self-esteem issue. I figure, since I know I'm going to lose (irrational thought, but it's how I think), why bother competing? So, I just stick to my little corner and do my own thing while everyone else figuratively rips each other's throats out to get the steak dinner.

darkante
Jul 9, 2011, 11:03 AM
I´m not competive either. Figure what´s the rush anyway.
Specially since i use stuff more for "me like" factor over usefulness anyway.

Dragwind
Jul 9, 2011, 01:09 PM
Competitions isn't a total requirement of anyone either, nor does everyone enjoy it.

As far as bad sportsmanship, I personally don't support it and think it's rubbish in almost any form. In that case I suppose you could argue the loudmouth might have an underlying esteem issue, or something else going on.

iBaylin
Jul 9, 2011, 06:05 PM
I want to give my two cent on competition.

First I would like to say yes, like dragwind said it's a fact that Competition does drives progress and improvement. It help teachers, doctors, laws, (or whatever career job someone has) be better at their craft. That constant need to test how good you are by comparing yourself to someone else, or to try to be the best sometimes bring out the best in you.

What I notice about competition is when competing with someone their skill level have to be somewhat higher than you, around the same level as you, or somewhat lower than you. If they're way higher than you, you may not enjoy yourself and may get discorged. If they're way lower than you, then you may end up getting bored and it's not really putting your skills to the test meaning it's not helping you improve. So it's best for their skill level to be somewhat around yours. When done in this way competition can be good for both people who are competing. It brings the best out of both of them whether they win or lose. It makes you want to keep trying as you see your skills increasing. It is a huge motivator. There's no denying that.

(Another thing I want to say is that you have to come to terms with the fact that there will be things you're good at and thing you're bad at. You can't be good at everything. Accept that fact. The moment you begin thinking you can be is the moment your down hill failure begins)

But with all that said a very competitive person could be the result of a problem they have.

Example - Some people may lack some skill in some areas where they can't improve in or something prevents them from improving in this skill or it can be something they have no control over. (This can be a number of things) So to make up for it they become good at other things and brag about it. They feel good about it because it feels good to be better than some else for a chance. And being good at other things (especially a lot of other things) helps hide what they're bad at. It's a win win to them. Especially if what they're bad at is a big thing in their community.

Another Example - Say someone is lonely or is an outcast but they get a lot of attention on forums or games or what ever else they're doing. If being the best means they will keep getting attention then they'll keep doing what it take to prove they're the best. That attention help fill that void in their hearts that comes from loneliness.

These are just a few of the many negative and in my opinion unhealthy ways of competitive motivation. Yes it they do improve in what they're doing and it make them very competitive. But it not solving the main problem they have and in my opinion it's making the problem worst. And it also in many cases cause bad sportsmanship.