PDA

View Full Version : The Official Friday thread

gordon/alpha999
Jul 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
Every Friday post how your Friday has been bad or good. Either way you should be looking forward to the weekend!

It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend

Partyin', partyin' (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin' forward to the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QxM7BMn7A

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have to work a minimum 30 hrs in two days on the weekends. Thnx for reminding me >.>

Nitro Vordex
Jul 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
Get out.

Leviathan
Jul 17, 2011, 11:07 PM
GUISE DIDJA HEAR ABOUT LOL CATS? HILARIOUS STUFF I TELL YA!

Nitro Vordex
Jul 18, 2011, 12:04 AM
I CAN HAZ CHEEZBERGER IS AMAZIN LOLOLOL

Vanzazikon
Jul 18, 2011, 03:04 AM
You're all fat.

Outrider
Jul 18, 2011, 03:10 AM
You're all fat.

AND THIS IS WHY: [dead link]

W0LB0T
Jul 18, 2011, 04:28 AM
Get out.
Get out.
Get out.
Get out.
Get out.
Get out.

FOCL.

gordon/alpha999
Jul 22, 2011, 04:54 AM
It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday

Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin' forward to the weekend

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
[spoiler-box]
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

57 of 62 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor, March 15, 2011
By
CisforCorgi - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Okamiden (Video Game)
I realize I'm writing this review fairly soon, but I got my copy a few days ago at Gamestop and I wanted to put this up as soon as possible to sway potential fence-sitters. This is a great series, and I'm desperately hoping that with more attention capcom will pay it the attention it deserves. So I feel like it's my duty as a fan to get the message out about the game to get more people who might have been unsure to give it a try. I'm going to keep this as spoiler free as possible and focus on the game itself. :) I'm at the last boss of the game right now, so I'm far enough to make a fair judgment on the game and its mechanics.

To start, let me say that this game is not without its flaws. However, it plays beautifully and I feel that it is a great sequel to the masterpiece that was the original Okami game. The celestial brush and the stylus combo of the DS work wonderfully together, and it really does feel like you're the one summoning the divine winds. Now, on to the positives:

Pros:

-Fantastic storyline, but it's Okami so you have to expect that. There are enough twists and deep backstory to keep a player quite interested until the end and beyond.
-I cannot fully describe how adorable this game is. Chibiterasu is about the cutest thing since baby kittens rolling around in baby bunnies. There were points of the game where I just melted at the sheer adorableness of it all. Don't let that fool you though, the plot is anything but childlike.
-The visuals for a DS game are A+. They really put their all into make a functional, pretty, stylized game for the DS and I'm glad the DS got a good hurrah before the 3DS comes out. The sumi-e style artwork is back, and though it's much less detailed than the original game, it still works. The characters all generally look the same, the only thing you'll notice is that it's slightly less detailed and a little more pixely in some places, but meh.
-The celestial brush and the DS touchscreen just click. It's the perfect medium for a game like this. And can I just say that doing the inferno move on the DS is 50 times easier than trying to make an infinity symbol using the wii remote.
-Recognizable characters from the first game. This is a continuation of the story, so you get to see your favorites come back. It's hard not to spoil anything, but you will see characters you know and love continuing their stories.
-This game ties up a lot of the plot and explains a TON of things from the first game. You get to see things as they happen and you'll have a lot of, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! So that's why!" moments.
-Can I just mention the story again? It's too good not to mention twice. The game starts off fairly slow, but as you get further in and start visiting familiar locales from the first game, it gets surprisingly deep. There are multiple main characters teaming up with Chibiterasu, and you WILL get tied up in their backstories and storylines to the point of being anxious to see what happens next. There were a few times the game brought tears to my eyes, much like the first one. I'm honestly scared to watch the ending lest I bawl like a baby.
-The music is good. A lot of it was imported from the first game, which I will not complain about.
-Praise Amaterasu, they removed that stupid freakin' digging game. I will not miss you, you exercise in frustration you.
-More things to collect like Issun's masterpieces, history scrolls, etc. Collecting them is much easier than collecting the beads in the first game. I've managed to complete all the collections in my first playthrough and I'm far from a completionist.
-A new system with regards to the multiple partners you get. Each one has a special ability and most of the dungeons involve several puzzles revolving around them.
-A neat little sidequest involving recruiting villagers for a village that develops as you play.

This game is so, so good. I cannot emphasize this enough. There's too many positives to list here. However, I'll do my part as a reviewer and list the flaws as well, both for people to be prepared for the frustration and in the off chance a capcom employee reads this so they know what to fix in the next games. (lol I wish, right?)

-This game obviously pushes the limits of the DS hardware to the point where if too many things are going on onscreen, the game will visibly lag. It's not TOO terrible and does NOT inhibit the gameplay, but it was definitely noticeable.
-The game is very linear. For example, you cannot jump in bodies of water, and there are loading portals at every bend. There is much less free-form exploration, but it's still there. Just not to the extent that it was on the wii. However, you do lose a sense of that open space freedom that you got from running through the fields with Ammy in the first game.
-They chibi-ized almost everything except most of the main adult NPCs. Imagine my dismay to see the noble canine-warriors looking like stuffed animals. Hrm.
-There are so many more dungeons and boss fights. Thankfully the dungeons are short, but you will find yourself spending more time in them than you did exploring like in the original Okami. There are also on screen monsters (that don't port you into the fighting arena thing) that you bap with your reflector to kill while completing puzzles, a lot like zelda. I'm not sure if that is a pro or a con, but it is way different than the first game.
-They removed some of the celestial gods from the original Okami and added new ones. The new ones could be considered a pro, but I was a little sad to know they took out some of my favorites in favor of new skills that I found particularly gimmicky and blah. The old saying of, "Don't mess with a good thing" comes to mind, but I can totally understand if other people don't agree with me on this one. This flaw is mainly my own opinion as a fan.
-The puzzles with the partners got old after a while. They're a main focus of the game since a lot of the platforming is removed, so be prepared for it. This game is far more puzzle oriented than its parent title.
-The controls are not so great, I'm sad to say. Movement is slow and blocky due to the DS controls. You'll find yourself needing to turn quickly or whatever else and Chibiterasu is apparently just not a good acrobat. This does make things very frustrating at certain points, but it's certainly not a gamekiller.
-The few platforming areas in the game are frustrating due to the bad controls. It's hard to dodge or accurately jump to a platform if you can't move quickly enough thanks to the controlscheme.
-Combat is not so great either. It's hard to believe it's a step down from the previous game, but it is. The arena is much smaller, and a lot of times they stick 2 or 3 projectile wielding enemies in this small area with you. It's hard not to get hit, especially since you can't move or jump mid-swing. Thankfully they decreased the threshold of how much damage knocks down your damage rating at the end of the battle.
-Some of the bosses are absolutely maddening. They give you very little explanation as to what you need to do until usually about halfway into the boss fight, so you go into it blindly and hope for the best. Problem is, if you don't do the special gimmick of the fight when the boss is stunned, the boss heals. Almost all of the bosses heal in this game. Be prepared for that.
-They added an underwater sidescrolling section like the old Mario games where the screen automatically scrolls to the right. Why did they do this? I have no idea. It was my least favorite part of the game. TO top it off, they added a boss there as well. Salt in the wound.
-On one playthrough of the game I got enough praise to max out Chibi's health and ink pots. With this, and the fact that I got all the collectables, I have little reason to play through the game again. Thankfully I like the plot, so I will.
-Unfortunately there are a lot of plot retcons, holes, and inconsistences that anyone who paid attention to the first game are going to notice right of the freakin' bat. One in particular bothered me a lot, but I'll leave that to you guys to find out. I can't go into more detail without spoiling things.
-Since there are a lot of familiar aspects of the first game, you'll find yourself saying, "Really? Again?" more than a few times during the game.
-Anybody who hasn't played the first game probably isn't going to get the full enjoyment out of the game since it relies so heavily on plots and characters from Okami. It will give you backstory, but a lot of the joy comes in going, "So that's what happened to that character!" and seeing little nods and easter eggs from the first game popping up all over the place. It's still worth playing, but I'd highly recommend playing Okami first.
-Ink pots no longer automatically refill. You get used to this, but it still bugged me as I played through the game. Especially since, like Ammy, Chibi loses his powers if he uses all his inkpots. But unless you have an items to regain the ink, you stay that way since the ink pots don't refill.

Okay, whew. Don't let the amount of flaws fool you. I only listed as many as I could think of so that people would know. The fact of the matter is that the pros FAR outweigh the flaws. It should be obvious since despite the obnoxious platforming in some areas, I KEPT PLAYING because I wanted to see what happened next in the story.

If you are a fan of okami or heck, games with deeply interwoven storylines and fun mechanics, I HIGHLY recommend this game. I have not been able to put it down since I got it on Friday. What are you doing still reading this? GO PLAY THE GAME!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comments (15)

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible game!, March 28, 2011
By
Biblioholic Beth (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Okamiden (Video Game)
I'm not going to list all the pros and cons - that has been done very well already. So what I will say is this - as an average adult gamer, one who plays for a while an then loses interest for a while - I played Okamiden all the way through within a week. The story is INCREDIBLY well-written, and while the cut-scenes can occasionally seem a little long, I like that they can be skipped should you choose to do so. I love how the story actually explains quite a bit of what happened in Okami. And while the gameplay seems a bit simplistic at times, figuring out exactly how to fight each boss can be a bit tricky.

Overall, it's not often that I am affected by a video game, but there certainly a few tears shed at the end. Again, the story is perfect. I truly hope that this game sells well enough that a sequel will be considered. Okami was one of the best underrated games, and Okamiden is a terrific sequel.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment[/spoiler-box]

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B003IOGPAO.03.lg.jpg

>> $28.54, you save a little bit. << 3DS has no games, forgot DS has some games.

Hehe, Biblioholic. Didn't even try to quote that one.

& shit was too much at Size = "7" though. And WTFUX with the 7 in quotes?

gordon/alpha999
Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 AM
[spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B003IOGPAO.03.lg.jpg

>> $28.54, you save a little bit. << 3DS has no games, forgot DS has some games.

Hehe, Biblioholic. Didn't even try to quote that one.

& shit was too much at Size = "7" though. And WTFUX with the 7 in quotes?

Just did! Enjoy your weekend!

Nitro Vordex
Jul 22, 2011, 01:13 PM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6871/vlcsnap2011072118h40m15.png

Meyfei
Jul 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
my friday was pro i had an interview \o\

gordon/alpha999
Jul 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
Was a hot hot Friday! Enjoy your weekend! See ya next week!

gordon/alpha999
Jul 28, 2011, 08:53 PM
Tommorow is another friday, it`s going to be like 109 degrees where i live. QQQQQQQQ

Meyfei
Jul 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
Tomorrow is another friday, it's going to be uneventful for me /ff12 QQQQQQQQ

gordon/alpha999
Jul 29, 2011, 07:07 AM
It's Friday Friday gotta get in the pool in this hot Friday!

Nitro Vordex
Jul 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
FOCL. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2655059&postcount=8)

Fullmetal Muffinman
Jul 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
http://c.universalscraps.com/files/en/days/friday/friday_030.gif

Nitro Vordex
Jul 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
Blingee'd for your raging pleasure.

Sayara
Jul 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
Tommorow is another friday, it`s going to be like 109 degrees where i live. QQQQQQQQ

best friday ever.

gordon/alpha999
Jul 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
best friday ever.

How was your friday, Sayara?

Sayara
Jul 30, 2011, 10:09 AM
I worked for 8 hours. So amazing. 20 minutes of 22$ overtime as well.

gordon/alpha999
Aug 5, 2011, 05:23 AM
It's FridayIt's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday

Zarode
Aug 5, 2011, 05:59 AM
FRIED EGGS FRIED EGGS

GOTTA HAVE

FUN

GOTTA HAVE

HAY ITS MAH FRIENDS

TalHex
Aug 5, 2011, 06:35 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/talonshadowfox/story435.gif

Sayara
Aug 5, 2011, 08:32 AM
No.
No.

RagolianHunter
Aug 5, 2011, 10:54 AM
FRIDAY ON!

Sienna
Aug 5, 2011, 11:51 AM
I fired eggs

So eventful

Randomness
Aug 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ah... friday. 72 hours of relaxation, here I come!

FOkyasuta
Aug 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
Partyin and partyin.

EvilMag
Aug 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
Became a fat fuck and ate so much Taco Bell.

Palle
Aug 5, 2011, 10:39 PM
Ah... friday. 72 hours of relaxation, here I come!
This, times six. Plus one daughter. Minus megabux. Equals dog days of summer holiday.

:cool:

unicorn
Aug 6, 2011, 12:52 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loqsylq4Zx1qerjyh.gif

Ark22
Aug 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
I like fridays, I get payed and THE REST OF THE WEEK OFF!!!

pikachief
Aug 11, 2011, 04:00 AM
FRIED EGGS FRIED EGGS

GOTTA HAVE

FUN

GOTTA HAVE

HAY ITS MAH FRIENDS

EVERY BODY'S RUSSIAN

gordon/alpha999
Aug 19, 2011, 04:44 AM
JUST ANOTHER SLUTTY FRIDAY
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUBtAIYyXO2Q2y1ry3FARJ202u7xoMt r8Y-oqZNw0CSjvvQqHT

unicorn
Aug 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loyej5NTj21qh347fo1_250.gif

TalHex
Aug 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/107/874/original/Fhurrrrday%20Forever%20Alone.gif?1300798079

Alnet
Aug 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
Friday is never relaxing. Gotta hole up, armed to the teeth, blowin' away peeps who wanna drag me off to karaoke.

I don't sing, cod dammit.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 19, 2011, 07:44 PM