PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Warning: account thieves in operation - new users please read

bloodflowers
Jul 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
Disclaimer: I realise a lot of people already know about this, it's old news - but victims are still appearing daily. Also I know PSOW has a policy about scammer threads, I checked with Ryna before posting this.

Currently there are Xbox Live account thieves operating on PSU. I don't know if Sega are actually doing anything about it (I've reported it several times), but this group or individual continue to operate unchallenged.

If you see someone advertising free meseta, free MSP or similar offers where you have to visit a site and enter your Xbox Live information, DON'T. What will happen is they will retrieve your Xbox Live account, change your details, log in to PSU and steal/destroy whatever you've worked for, and then use it to phish for more victims. If you report it to Microsoft rather than somehow wrestling control of it back yourself, they will sometimes (possibly always) ban the account and tell you to make a new one. Your new account will have no link to you PSU data, and you'll have to start from scratch with a new PSU ID.

In the past week alone I've seen what appears to be at least 4 new compromised accounts. I believe it is still Wallis/Pegasis at work.

You can protect yourself by doing the following:
1) NEVER give out your Xbox Live account information, no site will ever ask you to enter it except Microsoft sites.
2) Don't give out personal information to people you don't know, don't fill in your correct age or exact location on forums for example, try to use a different email address for your Live account. Make sure your Live password is a cryptic mass which resembles no real words (using e=3 will NOT cut it), write it down but not on your computer unless you encrypt the file.
3) Set up a keypress combo password on your Live account - this is easy. At the dashboard, press the guide button, settings, account management, and 'Xbox LIVE Pass Code'. Set a keypress code and write it down somewhere. This won't prevent account retrieval, but you can set one of 10,000 combinations there - it will at least rob them of a useful victim account.

More information can be found following the forum link in my signature. Additionally, if you do see someone advertising such a site, while the Sega support site is down you can contact them by email at [email protected]

I don't know why Sega seem unable to get this under control, it's extremely serious and from a users point of view they're doing absolutely nothing about it.

Quatre52
Jul 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
What can sega do exactly? The only thing really is ban them, if they have access to other accounts tho, they'd just get right back on and keep going..

Ishia
Jul 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ban them all!

bloodflowers
Jul 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
What can sega do exactly? The only thing really is ban them, if they have access to other accounts tho, they'd just get right back on and keep going..

They can IP ban them. They've got to do more in the way of reacting to these quickly. They could also engage with law enforcement, Sega will have a log of the IP and the gamertag, stealing XBL accounts is actually illegal under various computer misuse laws.

boomadatigger
Jul 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, but would someone call the police if they were tied to the crime in some way shape or form?

Tetsaru
Jul 21, 2011, 04:58 PM
If Sega won't do anything about other matters like updates and responding to help tickets, then I highly doubt they'll do anything about this. Their apathetic nature should be well-known by now.

Just goes to show you that online games like PSU require a competent GM team watching the servers at all times, as well as a way to contact them from in-game to report problems.

boomadatigger
Jul 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
If Sega won't do anything about other matters like updates and responding to help tickets, then I highly doubt they'll do anything about this. Their apathetic nature should be well-known by now.

Just goes to show you that online games like PSU require a competent GM team watching the servers at all times, as well as a way to contact them from in-game to report problems.

Pretty weird way of doing business don't you think.

Tetsaru
Jul 21, 2011, 05:04 PM
Pretty weird way of doing business don't you think.

Yeah, tell me about it... they're only setting themselves up for more failure. :rolleyes:

Kitty Ownz
Jul 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
i almost got my account stolen. this guy kiwi or something told me to go to the site and it asked for mii password.. i luv my password xD ill never give tht to anyone

VexedEyes
Jul 21, 2011, 05:58 PM
i almost got my account stolen. this guy kiwi or something told me to go to the site and it asked for mii password.. i luv my password xD ill never give tht to anyone

I actually got this guys card, i saw one of the people that were spamming weebly and noticed they had kiwi in bio as i went to mute them, when i asked "kiwi" they said it was them and they got 6 others taken as well. even tried to send a party invite once -.-

Kitty Ownz
Jul 21, 2011, 06:00 PM
yeah. some guy said hacked by kiwi, poor guy :/ .and it was a weebly .com thing too.. smfh.. that guy must be stopped. i sound like a cop or something

bloodflowers
Jul 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
You can get the weebly sites shut down by reporting them to [email protected]. You need to very clearly indicate it's being used for phishing Xbox Live account details, include the link - that's all they need.

AnonymousHat00
Jul 21, 2011, 09:49 PM

it also depends on what exactly they do with your account. if they just use it for your psu stuff then the only real thing they can do is just try to ban them, but say you have your credit card, of your parents, and they steal money, well if that happens it just went to a whole new lvl cuz you can get Microsoft involved at that point and hacker can face prison charges.

Recon Tactical
Jul 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Disclaimer: I realise a lot of people already know about this, it's old news - but victims are still appearing daily. Also I know PSOW has a policy about scammer threads, I checked with Ryna before posting this.

Currently there are Xbox Live account thieves operating on PSU. I don't know if Sega are actually doing anything about it (I've reported it several times), but this group or individual continue to operate unchallenged.

If you see someone advertising free meseta, free MSP or similar offers where you have to visit a site and enter your Xbox Live information, DON'T. What will happen is they will retrieve your Xbox Live account, change your details, log in to PSU and steal/destroy whatever you've worked for, and then use it to phish for more victims. If you report it to Microsoft rather than somehow wrestling control of it back yourself, they will sometimes (possibly always) ban the account and tell you to make a new one. Your new account will have no link to you PSU data, and you'll have to start from scratch with a new PSU ID.

In the past week alone I've seen what appears to be at least 4 new compromised accounts. I believe it is still Wallis/Pegasis at work.

1) NEVER give out your Xbox Live account information, no site will ever ask you to enter it except Microsoft sites.
2) Don't give out personal information to people you don't know, don't fill in your correct age or exact location on forums for example, try to use a different email address for your Live account. Make sure your Live password is a cryptic mass which resembles no real words (using e=3 will NOT cut it), write it down but not on your computer unless you encrypt the file.
3) Set up a keypress combo password on your Live account - this is easy. At the dashboard, press the guide button, settings, account management, and 'Xbox LIVE Pass Code'. Set a keypress code and write it down somewhere. This won't prevent account retrieval, but you can set one of 10,000 combinations there - it will at least rob them of a useful victim account.

More information can be found following the forum link in my signature. Additionally, if you do see someone advertising such a site, while the Sega support site is down you can contact them by email at [email protected]

I don't know why Sega seem unable to get this under control, it's extremely serious and from a users point of view they're doing absolutely nothing about it.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but anyone stupid enough to not blacklist these scumbags right away, they deserve to have their information compromised. If you can't spot phishing from a mile away, should you really be using Xbox Live/the Internet?

Lucidia
Jul 21, 2011, 11:29 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but anyone stupid enough to not blacklist these scumbags right away, they deserve to have their information compromised. If you can't spot phishing from a mile away, should you really be using Xbox Live/the Internet?

At the risk of sounding completely clichéd:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Reflect on that. Bloodflowers is trying to help people who could be potentially scammed that visit this forum. Let's keep the witch-burnings for those who deserve it.

Recon Tactical
Jul 21, 2011, 11:46 PM
At the risk of sounding completely clichéd:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Reflect on that. Bloodflowers is trying to help people who could be potentially scammed that visit this forum. Let's keep the witch-burnings for those who deserve it.

You're right. My apologies for being a jerk. Phishers are so annoying. I have so many of them blacklisted and muted that it's not even funny. Well, it's all good in the end when they get their comeuppance.

RebhtheDark
Jul 22, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have run into these guys many times, usually I mute them. Its horrible having these people running around getting the more newer and in-expirienced players accounts. I really wish more can be done about them.

This thread needs to be sticked or something so new players coming into the forums can see it!

*shadow*
Jul 22, 2011, 05:10 AM
nothing is ever free every1 in the world should know that so for people to fall for it is just stupid i seen some guy posting they were scammers and 1hour later he was posting the website so i guess he went to it anyway like a stupid person if you ask me i think any1 who falls for it is asking for it even if u tell people not to go to it mosy likey they will it is in our nature as human beings the only way most of us learn is by making mistakes so until they go to and do it will be eating at them until they do but if any1 wants to try it just for the hell of it and make the account stealers mad just make a new email and a new gamertag and give them that lol iv done this a few times so they end up getting a useless account

Slayer76
Jul 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
it also depends on what exactly they do with your account. if they just use it for your psu stuff then the only real thing they can do is just try to ban them, but say you have your credit card, of your parents, and they steal money, well if that happens it just went to a whole new lvl cuz you can get Microsoft involved at that point and hacker can face prison charges.

Actually just the simple fact that they have your account with a credit card on it means they can get into serious trouble. These people are doing it for psu only(most likely) but once someone complains to MS that there account was stolen and their credit card is at risk then they can face something like 1-3 years and pay $5000 or something like that. I'm going to laugh when someone does complain and MS tracks their IP and then the cops are on their doorstep.

C0ldChaos
Jul 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Glad to see the community watching out for one another, even with the offficial forums down.
I actually wrote down Kiwi's info a long time ago and added him to my personal BL but I guess he's still at it even now...

chibipocky15
Jul 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
aaah did th ebunch of idiots running after the scammar yesterday inspired you to make this...? they were really annoying they kept running in and out of the club chasing some scammer/ impersonater/hacker

Vintasticvin
Jul 23, 2011, 12:37 AM
Quick giit yer torch and pitchfawrks readeh we is going hacker hunting!

Ishia
Jul 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
i just want to say...
its not me, i quit doing all of that, at the moment it is Kiwi, the richest person on PSU so can you please take my name out of there, i have done nothing.

Yeah, its not like you've claimed to stop scamming several times before and were outright lying about it. We totally believe you.

THLPSC
Jul 23, 2011, 12:27 PM
okay, believe whatever but it is not me if you IP BAN the person doing it you will never see Kiwi again, im not here to argue.
I was just saying its not me.

Are you nervous you are about to get caught so you are trying to place all the blame on one of your accomplices? What you are doing can get you some serious jail time and I really hope you enjoy your time in the pen if/when you get caught.

THLPSC
Jul 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
No, look at Kiwi's pallet he had 10/10 Final Impact, 10/10 Spread Needle, 10/10 Spread Needle/G, 10/10 Guld & Milla, 10/10 Killer Elite, he is a 120K ID, how do you think he has like 4 BIL, it is not me just ban whoever spams it and i will still be here

Now you are feeling trapped in a corner and you can feel the man closing in on you and you are looking for a scapegoat to put this all on but do not worry your deeds will catch up to you and when they do you will regret all you have done.

Powder Keg
Jul 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
okay, believe whatever but it is not me if you IP BAN the person doing it you will never see Kiwi again, im not here to argue.
I was just saying its not me.

Enjoy federal P M I T A Prison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjlM5A1jME&feature=related

gordon/alpha999
Jul 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mattnotz/Wallis, you are a joke, you and Kiwi and your scamming group are getting what you all deserve. Maybe if you put effort into the game instead of scamming you would been a "good player". Your scamming days are over sir, and heres a quote from a good forum member AMUARY: "Kay thx bye!"

PS, Kiwi is not the richest person on PSU.

Noc Codez
Jul 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
PS, Kiwi is not the richest person on PSU.

Far from it.. But he still does buys Meseta.. lol

VexedEyes
Jul 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
No, look at Kiwi's pallet he has got 10/10 Final Impact, 10/10 Spread Needle, 10/10 Spread Needle/G, 10/10 Guld & Milla, 10/10 Killer Elite, he is a 120K ID, how do you think he has like 4 BIL, it is not me just ban whoever spams it and i will still be here

Last i checked "Kiwi" said 300GB is how much they had. Also denied that is was thema and someone trying to ruin there name. :-?

Noc Codez
Jul 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
Last i checked "Kiwi" said 300GB is how much they had. Also denied that is was thema and someone trying to ruin there name. :-?

Dude.. Kiwi is a notorious Meseta buyer.. everyone knows this..

C0ldChaos
Jul 23, 2011, 02:13 PM
The amount of effort me and AIDA put to get the previous scammers banned was ridiculous.. I have known about kiwi for a long time and been able to do nothing so if you guys get anything done good luck.

bloodflowers
Jul 23, 2011, 02:24 PM
The amount of effort me and AIDA put to get the previous scammers banned was ridiculous.. I have known about kiwi for a long time and been able to do nothing so if you guys get anything done good luck.

Well I got 4 meseta scam sites shut down this week, it's a start.

C0ldChaos
Jul 23, 2011, 02:29 PM
Well I got 4 meseta scam sites shut down this week, it's a start.

Very impressive blood, almost makes me want to give you those 50% fire crea dubz lol.

bloodflowers
Jul 23, 2011, 03:14 PM
Very impressive blood, almost makes me want to give you those 50% fire crea dubz lol.

If you check the FBD thread I quoted the various responses from the hosting companies :)

xxxGoukenxxx
Jul 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
SEGA wont do anything about it. Fortunately my friend has already shut down several of those scammer sites since.it seems they are using ajax on their hosts which is from the 90's lol, anyways Snowfox has shutdown 4 of those sites. If we see more im sure he will shut them down as well, since no one else will.

Home Dog
Jul 24, 2011, 05:19 PM
Glad to see that the sites are being shut down because those account jacking people are really getting annoying!

RANGER 01
Jul 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
Far from it.. But he still does buys Meseta.. lol

He has bought literally every bit meseta he has. He came back to the game and just sat on the 5th floor doing nothing until he spent about 1500 US dollars to buy enough meseta for his pallet. Plus he's not even that rich, he only has like 300 mill outside of the weapons on his pallet. That and he scammed me out of 8 mill like a scrub, not that it's a lot of money, but still..

Also he's really, really, really unintelligent to put it nicely, I've talked to him a lot before he scammed. If he were to be banned he'd never be back.

Anime_Angel
Jul 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
today is the first time playing online after 3 years of absence and I never knew there was soooo many scammers around the colony lol, the screen was full of messages that I could barely see lol

DesignZ
Jul 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
today is the first time playing online after 3 years of absence and I never knew there was soooo many scammers around the colony lol, the screen was full of messages that I could barely see lol
Not all the people who Spam are scammers, the game has came a bit ridiculous with the mountains upon mountains of spam though.

Keilyn
Jul 24, 2011, 07:34 PM

Xbox Live Falls under the Ownership and Jurisdiction of Microsoft.

One may report a scammer on a 360 server, but with SoA crippled and in shambles they have larger problems to the point that scammers, knowing this see this as their window to strike and take what they please.

Sorry, but until SEGA fixes their issues there really isn't anything they are going to do about it and Microsoft is not going to act on Xbox Live account hacking unless it hurts their assets in such a way they must respond.

The two bounded events depend on each other, but no solution is possible unless SEGA and Microsoft Cooperate with one another and since they don't see each other eye to eye, forget about getting any real help.

Nereid
Jul 24, 2011, 09:12 PM
As long as I can remember Microsoft takes account phishing of Live accounts very seriously...